Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you care for your hair in the winter times?

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Question How do you care for your hair in the winter times?

Hey ladies and gents, Gustavonut here.
    I'm just wanting to know what I could do to protect my hair in the bitter cold winters, and also how to care for it.
    A couple questions:

-Can I still CO in the winter time?

-What products, if any, protect your hair from the cold?

-Should you wash your hair more or less?

And

-What do YOU do during winter to keep your hair healthy and keep it growing?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

Length
    MBL/Waist/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: How do you care for your hair in the winter times?

Lol well I live in California so this topic doesn't usually apply to me, but I would like to know how to take care of my hair when I vacation in the snow, so I'll be watching this thread! In the past when I've been on vacation in snowy places I just go heavier on the oil and leave-in conditioner and keep my hair contained in braids.

Waist ~ Hip ~ TBL ~ Classic ~ Knee

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I pretty much use the same routine in the Summer than the rest of the year. I don't CO wash, but my 10 year old curly haired daughter does throughout the year. I see no reason why you would not be able to as well. Because my hair is fine, I use a lighter protein conditioner in the Summer and Spring and a more moisturizing and creamier one for the Fall and Winter. Whenever I go out, I protect my hair by wearing a cowl and I make sure it is always completely dry before venturing outside. As a general rule, I wash twice a week, and after a wash, seal my ends with a tiny bit of Monoi oil.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Larki View Post
    Lol well I live in California so this topic doesn't usually apply to me, but I would like to know how to take care of my hair when I vacation in the snow, so I'll be watching this thread! In the past when I've been on vacation in snowy places I just go heavier on the oil and leave-in conditioner and keep my hair contained in braids.
    Exactly! I'm going to be working in Germany this coming christmas and it gets beyond nippy there. Brrr...it makes me cold just thinking about it.
    Plus, before this I didn't care about my hair at all, I wore ponytails every day at one point!
    I haven't really thought about how to take care of my hair in cold climates so now we can both find out together.

Quote Originally Posted by DweamGoiL View Post
    I pretty much use the same routine in the Summer than the rest of the year. I don't CO wash, but my 10 year old curly haired daughter does throughout the year. I see no reason why you would not be able to as well. Because my hair is fine, I use a lighter protein conditioner in the Summer and Spring and a more moisturizing and creamier one for the Fall and Winter. Whenever I go out, I protect my hair by wearing a cowl and I make sure it is always completely dry before venturing outside. As a general rule, I wash twice a week, and after a wash, seal my ends with a tiny bit of Monoi oil.
    Yes, I thought maybe conditioning more would help. But then again my hair is always greasy sooooo I don't want to look like Jack Frost with crazy hair lol!

ETA:
    And huh, I've never heard of Monoi oil. What's it like? (:
    Last edited by Gumball; October 12th, 2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Combined posts into multi-quote. See http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43281 for details.

Type
    2a/F/i

For me, I love hair care in the winter because I get completely lazy about it. I wash WAY less because I despise having wet drippy hair when it's cold and I'm not sweaty and gross. I wear a lot of dutch braids in the winter, usually with the last inch or two covered in oil. I use my regular RO conditioner as a leave in and I seal it with an oil. My favorites being coconut, olive, and grape seed.I'm usually stunned at how much my hair grew during the winter because it's always shoved under a hat, in braids or in a dirty bun.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Type
    2b/M/iii

I'm in Northern California and we don't have snow or really low temps (well, 30's sometimes).

I don't put anything on my hair to protect it.

I DO wear a wool scarf on my head outdoors. I don't wear my hair down.

Dr. Michael stressed that you should protect your entire head against the cold. He suggested that if you prefer wearing your hair down in winter, you could protect it by parting it in two sections in the back. Cross the 2 sections of hair, and bring the right section forward so that it sits on your chest. Bring the left section forward so that it sits on your chest. Your hair is "sitting" on your chest where it won't get as mussed up as if it were down your back. Also, it will be well protected by your wool coat or jacket.

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by gustavonut View Post
    And huh, I've never heard of Monoi oil. What's it like? (:
    Monoi oil is made in Tahiti and it's basically refined coconut oil infused with Frangipani (Plumeria). I have been using it for over a decade and absolutely love it!
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Length
    SL/47ftp/?full
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by gustavonut View Post
    Hey ladies and gents, Gustavonut here.
    I'm just wanting to know what I could do to protect my hair in the bitter cold winters, and also how to care for it.
    A couple questions:

-Can I still CO in the winter time?

-What products, if any, protect your hair from the cold?

-Should you wash your hair more or less?

And

-What do YOU do during winter to keep your hair healthy and keep it growing?
    What products protect it? Hats. A nice, knit hat that is not made of anything catchy and will fit over bunned hair without fuss is ideal. Maybe I'll make myself a nice, big one and line it with sillky fabric.

Since winter is coming, up the moisture. I use more oil on my face to seal in moisture, and I do what I can to prevent moisture loss from my hair.
    Shoulder-length (pre-LHC) | Fingertip | Fingertip or longer and less taper
    Virgin hair all my life...because I am lazy.

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DweamGoiL View Post
    Monoi oil is made in Tahiti and it's basically refined coconut oil infused with Frangipani (Plumeria). I have been using it for over a decade and absolutely love it!
    Whoah! That sounds amazing, and I love coconut oil! Is it very expensive? Also, could you get it on amazon I wonder..?

Madora: I was thinking about wearing a silk scarf on my head (like a babushka . )
    Nadine: That's so awesome to hear! That makes me look forward to it getting cold now haha. I'll try to wear my hair in braids more often then.

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

My hair gets a lot drier in winter, so I use a lot more coconut oil as a leave-in than I do in the warmer months. That's pretty much the only change to my routine. It also takes a little longer to get oily, but I like my once a week washing routine so I don't make any changes there.