Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a good brush for tender headed people/tangle-heads?

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default What's a good brush for tender headed people/tangle-heads?

Right now I have a conair boar bristle brush (not the best..) and a normal generic comb from Sally's.
    Since I'm looking to grow my hair, I want a brush that won't rip my hair to shreds.
    Any suggestions? And yes, I know about the wet brush, but I don't really want to spend 10 dollars on a brush.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: What's a good brush for tender headed people/tangle-heads?

A wide-toothed comb is great for detangling, especially for straight-haired people. Plastic (seamless) ones are good if you like to comb your hair in the shower or when it's sopping wet. Wood or horn ones can't be used on wet hair but are great if you suffer from static as they won't cause more static.

The BBB (if your hair likes that sort of thing) can be used with the George Michael method - it should be used for distributing sebum down your length and smoothing hair prior to updos only, never for detangling. As you're straight-haired, you may get on well with that method.

Some people like the Tangle Teaser as an alternative to a wide-toothed comb.

Generally, brushes are not a good idea for detangling, especially ones with ball-tips to their bristles. They tend to rip through tangles, resulting in pulled-out hairs and broken hairs.

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Panth View Post
    A wide-toothed comb is great for detangling, especially for straight-haired people. Plastic (seamless) ones are good if you like to comb your hair in the shower or when it's sopping wet. Wood or horn ones can't be used on wet hair but are great if you suffer from static as they won't cause more static.

The BBB (if your hair likes that sort of thing) can be used with the George Michael method - it should be used for distributing sebum down your length and smoothing hair prior to updos only, never for detangling. As you're straight-haired, you may get on well with that method.

Some people like the Tangle Teaser as an alternative to a wide-toothed comb.

Generally, brushes are not a good idea for detangling, especially ones with ball-tips to their bristles. They tend to rip through tangles, resulting in pulled-out hairs and broken hairs.
    Yeah I stopped using brushes a while ago, and I never brush/comb my hair when it's wet. I'm currently looking on amazon for a good boar bristle brush. Do you have a suggestion for a good brand?

New growth is wild brickworld13's Avatar
    Length
    SHL/CL+/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I have a Conair brush that is pretty stiff and one I picked up from Sally's that I'm not sure of the brand. The one from Sally's is really soft. It sounds more like you need a brush with softer bristles. The stiff ones can damage fragile hair.
    The Harmonious Rachel, Songbird in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by brickworld13 View Post
    I have a Conair brush that is pretty stiff and one I picked up from Sally's that I'm not sure of the brand. The one from Sally's is really soft. It sounds more like you need a brush with softer bristles. The stiff ones can damage fragile hair.
    Right now I'm just wanting to stick with combing my hair. And use a soft boar bristle brush before going to bed. But I just can't find the right one for my hair. The BBB I have now has a mixture of soft and hard bristles.

Length
    SHL/CL+/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

They should have a variety of stiffnesses available at Sally's. Run the bristles over your hand and pick up a nice soft one. I know it was less than $10. Probably closer to $5.

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

They should have a variety of stiffnesses available at Sally's. Run the bristles over your hand and pick up a nice soft one. I know it was less than $10. Probably closer to $5.
    Yeah I don't know when I'll be at Sally's again though, probably not any time soon since I went there two days ago hah. I'm looking at amazon for a nice brush.

Length
    SHL/CL+/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by gustavonut View Post
    Yeah I don't know when I'll be at Sally's again though, probably not any time soon since I went there two days ago hah. I'm looking at amazon for a nice brush.
    Baby brushes are really soft, maybe too soft, but you never know unless you try one. Just make sure that it's not plastic or some form of synthetic. My grandma had to get one when she had brain surgery because it made her scalp very tender.

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Baby brushes are really soft, maybe too soft, but you never know unless you try one. Just make sure that it's not plastic or some form of synthetic. My grandma had to get one when she had brain surgery because it made her scalp very tender.
    Hm, yeah I've thought about that. My nana used baby brushes because she only had short hair from chemo. I'll just keep looking!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

If you're willing to spend a little more, check Sally's for the Tangle Teezer. A lot of us swear by that one. (However, ignore the instructions that say you can start from the top. Like all combs and brushes, you'll do better if you do the last few inches, then add a few more and work your way up to the scalp.)
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!