Thread: Cut out layers or leave alone?

Length
    18/26/tbd
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Cut out layers or leave alone?

I've been struggling with whether or not I should just give myself a blunt hemline now or just wait. Eventually I would like a thick hemline but right now I have relatively long layers that are getting on my nerves. My ends are feeling thin and I hate the taper my braids have. I never used to have layers like this but a hair stylist suggested it because of my thick hair and I regretted it ever since. Also, about half my hair is technically damaged because it had been dyed once or twice and straightened. I would just cut it but I REALLY don't want to lose length and all of the progress I have had. What would you do?

The layers are difficult to see with the curls but here is a pic

[IMG][/IMG]

If I cut the layers I would probably go from BSL to APL.
    SL - 19 - 20 - 21- APL ​- 23 - 24 - BSL - 26 - 27- 28 - MBL - 30 - 31- WL
    ~*~Measured when curly ~*~

Length
    waist/BSL+/...?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Cut out layers or leave alone?

The ends don't appear thin...maybe the curls help with that. You have a large circumference anyways. I wouldn't trim for visual reasons. I can understand if you are wanting to get rid of damage, although it doesn't look overly damaged from what I can see in the picture. If that is the case, why not just maintain at the length you are for a while until the damage is gone.

Summer of 2017...after "The Chop."

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I'd just BC them and grow out the way you want.

Length
    waist/BSL+/...?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

BTW, thick hair and blunt cuts can have their downsides too. It is harder to tuck in the ends in for an updo, and the length gets heavier as you go. That being said, I still prefer a blunt cut.

Summer of 2017...after "The Chop."

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by woodswanderer View Post
    BTW, thick hair and blunt cuts can have their downsides too. It is harder to tuck in the ends in for an updo, and the length gets heavier as you go. That being said, I still prefer a blunt cut.
    I live for the feeling of heaviness in my hair. And I don't really do that many stick updos, so that's not a factor. I did have a fair amount of triangle head at apl.

Unexpected Combination PinkyCat's Avatar
    Under the bed, waiting for dangling ankles...
    Length
    Black/Numbr/One
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Well hello hair twin!
    I wouldn't cut them all the way out or it might be a shock to lose that length.I would go 2 inches every other month so its more gradual but still a little faster than your regular growth. Just ease into it & they'll be gone before you know it

Lady Roseus
    of the
    Cherry Blossom Hallow in the Order of the Long Haired Knights. >x<)))> veni vidi crepi.

Length
    18/26/tbd
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

woodswanderer I actually didn't even think about that. That would be a great idea! How would I go about that? I'm guessing it is something along the lines of trimming the longest layers and not trimming the shorter ones until they catch up.
    kganihanova I can completely understand this. Ever since I had my layers cut I longed for the thickness back.
    PinkyCat Oh hey! I can't believe I actually found a hair twin My hair may be more fine than I thought, I have been thinking about it ... not sure how to tell. This is a good idea to trim the layers gradually, I might just do this!
    SL - 19 - 20 - 21- APL ​- 23 - 24 - BSL - 26 - 27- 28 - MBL - 30 - 31- WL
    ~*~Measured when curly ~*~