Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does your family/friends think of your wash cycle?

Length
    APL/APL/TBL!
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Cool What does your family/friends think of your wash cycle?

My mom thinks my hair is disgusting. On day 4 (wash day) it gets pretty greasy, but the grease levels are definitely decreasing. :P At first she was dropping subtle hints like, "When was the last time you washed your hair?" or "You might want to start washing your hair more often. It looks a little greasy." Now it's full blown, "Your hair is gross. I know you like how soft it is when you don't wash it but it's not because your hair is healthy - it's grease. You look like you don't care about your appearance." And so on and so forth. It got me thinking though - I can't be the ONLY one with people complaining about how often I wash my hair. Does this happen to anyone else? I want to know I'm not alone in the world lol

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: What does your family/friends think of your wash cycle?

I just don't tell people IRL anything about my hair routine. It saves a lot of hassles. I might mention oiling but they probably think that is pretty gross....so I don't mention washing frequencies at all. They would probably faint.....
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    APL/APL/TBL!
    Type
    2a/M/iii

The problem is that when my hair gets greasy it shows, because my scalp area gets darker than the rest of my hair due to the grease. So people have actually asked me how often I wash my hair. HOWEVER I don't tell them anything of my 'real' hair routine. They'd think I was crazy.
    Have you never been asked about your wash cycle??? *disbelief*

Length
    MBL/Waist/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Well, I wash every other day, but I could never stretch my washes like that because my hair really shows the oil really fast, it looks revolting. Some people's hair doesn't show it, which would be nice. And I can guarantee that if I did try to stretch I would get millions of comments like that from my family and others.

Waist ~ Hip ~ TBL ~ Classic ~ Knee

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by FallingDarkness View Post
    The problem is that when my hair gets greasy it shows, because my scalp area gets darker than the rest of my hair due to the grease. So people have actually asked me how often I wash my hair. HOWEVER I don't tell them anything of my 'real' hair routine. They'd think I was crazy.
    Have you never been asked about your wash cycle??? *disbelief*
    Nope, no one has ever asked about my wash cycle. I don't think they are very interested in my hair, they have other stuff to think about. I was staying with my sister once and went out in the kitchen one morning and grabbed a banana out of the fruit bowl. My sister said "Are you going to put that banana in your hair?" I replied, "No, I am going to eat it."

I suppose she figured that if a person puts oil into their hair, then there are no holds barred in terms of hairy weirdness going on....She used to laugh fit to burst if she saw me taking a hair photo. I learned pretty fast to keep these things to myself

ETA: Just tell them you are doing a scalp treatment.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    ??/Waist/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I wash my hair once a week and my family/friends never noticed it. One day my mom said: Your hair looks nice, what have you been doing to it? And I confessed...I haven't washed it for days. She freaked out haha, that is disgusting! she said. That was a few months ago, and the last time I spoke to her, she was washing her hair every other day. And so was my brother! So they may change their mind when they see the results on your hair. Meanwhile, maybe some dry shampoo could work for you? or stretching washes more gradually? Just a thought

Back to waist!
    Lady Faylinn of the Guarded Groves
    in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    waist/BSL+/...?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I wouldn't tell anyone. I already know it would go over like a lead balloon. First rule of long hair...don't talk about long hair. No one has asked me about my wash cycle, though they may have wondered about it. I have a couple tricks up my sleeve to disguise stretching washes. Wash day is loose, 2nd day is loose, 3rd day is wash hair that touches my forehead if it looks greasy and then loose, 4th day is usually toothed headband far back with a just little powder brushed onto greasy front or a braid.

Summer of 2017...after "The Chop."

Length
    SL/SL/WL
    Type
    3a/C/ii

I don't tell people.... I told a friend one time I don't wash my hair every day and she definately thought it was kind of weird. But then again, she washes her hair twice a day and I think that's weird. Better to keep these things to myself. If my hair is starting to look greasy after a couple days I just put it back in a braid or something, that tends to disguise the greasies. Maybe you could try some kind of dry shampoo or powder on your scalp to help absorb the excess oil? I've never tried it myself, but maybe that would work for you.

It's probably hard to attempt stretching washes when you go to school and need to be presentable every day. This is why I never succeeded at stretching washes. Also some people are naturally more oily than others. Have you tried using dry shampoo or putting it up with a thick headband/silk scarf to hide the greasiness? Tell them you're recalibrating your sebum production lol.

Length
    23/27.5/35
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I go a full week before needing to wash my hair and my hair isn't greasy until day #7. I certainly wouldn't have been able to do that when I was a teen though! Sports/gym and just teen hormones made it so I could only go to day #3. That WAS stretch washing for me. So don't take it too hard if you can't stretch wash as much as other people on the boards. With age your sebum production may slow like mine did. IMO just do what your hair tells you to do. If you are getting comments about the greasies, wash your hair and don't feel bad about it. Problems arise when people wash their hair everyday out of habit or paranoia instead of necessity. If your hair is dry, oil it! If your hair is greasy or dirty, wash it! Your hair is made of its own special individual properties; do what is best for it.