Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henna came out?

Length
    shldr/apl/waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Henna came out?

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar to what happened to me or could maybe explain why this happened?

Ok so last week I did a henna/cassia treatment by mixing one box on light mountain light red and one box of light mountain neutral. I let it stew for 13 hours, kept on my head for 3 and when it washed off it was an orangey yellow that oxidized to a copper color. I washed it once since then and the color did not seem to change at all.

However! Last night before washing I did a hot coconut milk/oil mixture soak and this morning it looks much less vibrant. I also noticed that some of the coconut milk was dripping an orange color while it was on my head but didn't think much of it because I've read how permanent henna is supposed to be. Was it the coconut milk or oil or the heat? Or was it because I used Light Mountain? I have used their neutral cassia alone many times and loved it but this was my first attempt at mixing a box of light red in as well.

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

Default Re: Henna came out?

Is this your first few times washing after henna? Sometimes there is run off after. Also, oxidation does make it look a tad duller.

I'm not sure of Light Mountain's quality.

Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist?-Hip-Tailbone--GOALOn to classic?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Light Mountain is very poor quality, so odds are that the henna was weak and old.

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've deliberately used coconut milk soaks to lighten henna in the past...

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

What did you use to make the paste with? Water or something acid like orange or lemon juice? Water will get dye release, but it fades extremely fast, which an acid doesn't.

And did you have greasy hair when you applied the henna?

Else I have no idea how this could have happen, I never used cassia either.

Length
    chin/APL/MBL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Oil treatments usually lift henna. Even after many whole head applications, hot oil treatments still make the rinsing water run orange for me. I'm not saying you can remove henna entirely with oil. But it will lighten henna.

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Melisandre View Post
    What did you use to make the paste with? Water or something acid like orange or lemon juice? Water will get dye release, but it fades extremely fast, which an acid doesn't.

And did you have greasy hair when you applied the henna?

Else I have no idea how this could have happen, I never used cassia either.
    Actually, that's not true. Many people here use just water. You said you let the henna sit for thirteen hours before using it? In my opinion that is too long and the henna might have started to demise at that point.
    Add to that, oil and coconut treatments are often used to fade henna that has gone too dark. This is also your first henna which often fades quite a bit if the henna isn't of superb quality

Length
    shldr/apl/waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Ah Unofficial_Rose I see...I didn't realize that coconut milk could potentially lift henna as well. I read about oils doing that like olive, but I guess since it was heated milk that could be why too.

And Isilme, how long should I let henna sit for? I read about people keeping it in a warm place overnight for full dye release so that's what I did...

Melisandre, I used 4 tbls acv, 4 tbls lemon juice, clove, cinnamon, ginger powder and enough hot distilled water to make it a nice consistency so I guess mostly water but also some acids.

And while I feel the color is much less vibrant, in the sun it is still very red/orange. I feel like all the cassia yellowness is gone now (which I didn't like that much anyway I guess) but indoor lighting used to make it look red as well but now it just looks more dark blonde/brown. I don't know if I should try to do another henna again or not now because my hair loves hot oil/milk treatments but if its just going to get rid of all my hard work for the color then what's the point.

Does anyone know the science behind why heated coconut milk would lift henna and/or cassia like that?

Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Hot oil will fade ANY color- be it chemical or henna!

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I mix my henna with warm-hot water and let it dye release one or two hours.