Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are hair styles for truly long haired men?

Length
    7/16/48+
    Type
    3c/M/C/iii

Default What are hair styles for truly long haired men?

I've searched the internet but am not finding much in the way of hairstyles for men with shoulder-blade length hair and (getting) longer. My hair seems to frizz, but I hate that "ball of frizz" Gecko Caveman look. I'm looking for some professional updos and "down-dos." I am far from knowledgeable so I would also need instructions on how to replicate. My hair is super curly.

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: What are hair styles for truely long haired men?

I have a dear friend with "somewhere along the scapulae" length and extraordinary curls. 3b or so.
    He actually gets the lowest three inches shaved short, and then ponytails the rest, with some leave in conditioner for weight and definition.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Length
    7"/32/70"
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii/iii

Oooo you going to have a hard time finding that... Is like looking for variety on manly suits... They tend to be all the same...

Go look for inspiration in gumball... He has trully long hair and he is a guy..

I for once have seen quite a lot of manly long hair styles... There is the french braid... The normal english braid... The battle braid can seem manly... Um... Combination braids are cool too... As for up....

Chinese bun with a not decorated steel hairstick... Saw that here... Any type of bun here actually.. Just use a not decorated steel hairstick for added machoness... French braid and bun at the ends is good too... The classic half up with braid.. Even an elling woman bun will do...

Look all these on google.. Get an idea.. Anything can be worn by guys... Manlyness is in the eye of the beholder. It seems a rule in the guy world that purty decorations are fur gurls... But you can make do with some hair sticks with carvings... Or just plain metal... Simple designs ya know... If you don't want the pealrs and rocks on some of the hairsticks going around... Or just cla clips is ok too...

In the end.. You can wear anything you want in your hair... Put it up anyway you want.. The hair does not do gender distinction... Is the human... First figure out what you deem as gurly... Then look at what girl buns and braid do you think would look just fine on a guy...

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Generally, I think the "manly" hair styles really come down to the accessories used to fix your hair - i.e. hairsticks, forks, pony tail holders, what have you.. a more streamlined, simple design made from wood or metal is a bit more masculine, and definitely a lot more masculine than glittery, shiny, flowery, colorful hair toys. I don't find styles such as a nautilus, chinese bun, LWB, etc. to be particularly "feminine".

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

You could also check out Silvousplaits on YouTube, she has a few videos of men's long hairstyles inspired by fictional characters like this one:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qvqJfyD5nlY

Good luck!

Just letting it grow ravenheather's Avatar
    Length
    16/23/Term
    Type
    2b/F/ii

flexi 8 clips come in black nickel that I think are good for guys too.

Going for terminal, but also enjoying wearing my hair down and curly.

Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I like the Legolas-look and high buns on guys, but that's really individual I think. Try some styles and see what you like!

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Thanks, Marbid. Hair sticks are a definitely good go-to once your hair is at a length where they become usable. Right now mine is up in a braided cinnabun held with a steel stick (my most used hair toy), but I drift between that and a nautilus bun for everyday wear. It keeps my hair up and out of the way, holding like a rock the whole time. Definitely go with what you're comfortable trying. You're bound to find something that's just right for you.

Luckily I have a photo I made recently with those two styles in it and a comparative combed-out length shot:

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Whatever the hell you want. As long as you wear it with confidence it will be good!

I'm not a curly and SL was decades ago, so no specific suggestions. My go to tool is a 7.5" lightweight stainless steel chopstick, after that, I look to Bronze Jewelers for slide barrettes.

2b-2a/C/iii 61"/155cm/growing fitfully longer
    LJ - Blog
    Unless specified otherwise, I am speaking as a member, not a moderator

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Those steel chopsticks are the absolute best.
    I have a collection of "things with pointy ends" to use in hair, but the pair trolley sent me years ago get heavy play.
    Waterproof, not bling, androgynous to masculine in looks.

At just past shoulder, nature and culturally inspired metal barrettes will be great.
    There are also cuffs to cover an elastic tie.

What might be helpful for us is knowing the environments you are in. Do you need to keep it up and back,such as a kitchen?
    What do you do, and how does hair interfere? Where are you and what is the prevailing view of long hair?
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.