Thread: Hair fall with MSM?

Length
    Bob/31"/Term?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Hair fall with MSM?

I started MSM again after a looooong haitus, and weathered the (mild) headache for a few days, and one night of awful insomnia (I forgot about how MSM affects me, and took my first dose in the afternoon - bad idea). But I'm noticing a few extra loose hairs in the past day or so; I don't remember having that reaction before. I seem to recall that previously when I took it, my hair fall decreased quite a bit. Has anybody else had increased hair fall when starting up MSM? I'm hoping maybe it's just coincidental, or maybe it's just an adjustment thing.

Ideas?

Start October 25, 2020: 24"
    24"...25"...26"...27"...28"...29"...30"...31"

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Hair fall with MSM?

If you are getting any side effects that could be a sign this supplement or dose is not for you, that your body is not happy.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I used to take MSM for joints. I didn't find out until much later that it was also beneficial for hair, but I never had an adverse reaction and I have a lot of food allergies and sensitivities. If you are having a reaction to MSM, I would stop taking it immediately.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Length
    SL/mbl/???
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I've been taking msm for a couple of months now. My shedding has decreased but as I'm also taking biotin and multi vits I cant say for sure which is helping the shedding. It also gives me insomnia if I take more than 500mg. It's definitely one for taking first thing in the morning!!!

Length
    BSL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Saldana View Post
    I started MSM again after a looooong haitus, and weathered the (mild) headache for a few days, and one night of awful insomnia (I forgot about how MSM affects me, and took my first dose in the afternoon - bad idea). But I'm noticing a few extra loose hairs in the past day or so; I don't remember having that reaction before. I seem to recall that previously when I took it, my hair fall decreased quite a bit. Has anybody else had increased hair fall when starting up MSM? I'm hoping maybe it's just coincidental, or maybe it's just an adjustment thing.

Ideas?
    I experience this too with MSM, I even started a thread about it some weeks back. The shed became too much that I had to stop taking it after only 2 weeks of starting. The shedding decreased immediately when I stopped, but it was still, and continues to be, more than usual. I'm pretty sure it was the MSM that was causing the excessive shedding

If your body is reacting negatively in any way to a supplement, you should stop taking it and consult a doctor.

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

MSM had the opposite effect for me, but I'm sure it varies from person to person.

Length
    9/18.5/37
    Type
    2a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by midbackorbust View Post
    MSM had the opposite effect for me, but I'm sure it varies from person to person.
    Me too, I have had good benefits with msm

Length
    9/18.5/37
    Type
    2a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by midbackorbust View Post
    Me too, I have had good benefits with msm

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Is this something that is taken daily, or in cycles. Such as a certain amount of time and then stopped for X amount of time before using again?
    Is it the sulfer that is supposed to help with hair or is there more to it? I am not educated on this at all but if anyone cares to explain I would be curious reasons for taking and what desired results are.
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013