Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP Hair Loss!!!

Length
    16/22/22
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

Default HELP Hair Loss!!!

Hi, I'm Jennifer, 23, new to the forum and joined because I am in desperate need of your help!!!

Over the last couple of years, I've lost a little in the volume of my hair, which I probably put down to the stresses and lifestyle of doing a difficult university degree!
    But since around September, the hair loss has rocketed! I've lost soooo much hair (at least 2/3?) and I think it's worst where the center part is at the front of my head and all through the sides of my head above my ears although it's a general loss all over I think.

My mother experienced some hairloss but only after menopause and my aunts and grandmother have amazing, thick hair.

I've been to see my doctors, had blood tests which came back fine: I was towards the lower section for iron but above the minimum and no thyroid problems. The only thing was a slight deficiency in Vitamin D. My doctor also examined my scalp and said that was fine, although my scalp does itch slightly, frequently.

I would be SOOO appreciative of any help, tips, advice you could give, experiences you've had or potential causes/remedies??? It's really panicking me a lot now, I can pull great big clumps out when I brush and wash my hair and there are always loose strands even if I make a big effort not to touch it! I have a lot of flyaways which may be new hairs trying to grow through?! or they may be breakage

Many thanks in advance!
    Jennifer

Bad Hair Day Faerie breezefaerie's Avatar
    Type
    1c/F/i

Default Re: HELP Hair Loss!!!

Can you tell us what your diet is like, your lifestyle, how you care for your hair? Has anything in your routine changed?

It's so frustrating and defeating when you lose your hair with no apparent reason.

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

First, rule about actual breakage by treating your hair gently, no hairtoys with sharp edges or thin elastics with a metal clip. Use a wide toothed comb, also with no sharp edges and gently detangle from the ends. The Body Shop has a very affordable wooden comb of high quality. http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/hair-...ling-comb.aspx
    Second, go trough your hair products and only use the most gentle products you can find for two weeks, see if it gets better and then you can slowly re-introduce other ones. If your scalp is itchy it is most likely dry from overuse of shampoo. Try co-washing, it might help.
    Get enough sleep, fresh air, exercise and healthy food. Don't hesitate to contact another doctor or a skin doctor (I think you call them dermatologists?)
    It wouldn't hurt to get someone you trust (or do it yourself!) to give you a scalp massage

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

So sorry to hear about your hair loss. It sounds extreme enough that I would push the doctor to refer me to a dermatologist or trichologist for this. Even though he said the blood-work is fine, the problem persists.

Serious stress could definitely do it (the time lag is about 3 months, usually), as well as changes in the diet (even though that would usually show in blood tests) but other things could be potential culprit, too. You mentioned that your scalp is itchy... it could be some fungal/bacterial issue or an allergy to something in one of your hair products. Maybe something as simple as going sulfate-free and using anti-fungals like monistat or neem oil could help, but it's really impossible to do this guesswork without a proper diagnosis. Please do try to get to a derm.
    And I really hope this hair loss will stop soon and your previous thickness recover! Best of luck!

Length
    0''/25''/40''
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Hi! Hang in there, I have also experienced it. My hair loss was because of stress post-surgery. It actually has a scientific name and everything, but I can't remember it. It's been 2.5 years since then. The hair loss only appeared 2-3 months after the surgery, I wasn't expecting it at all.

I would second what Isilme said. I would emphasise on the diet mostly. It's so important what we put inside our bodies more than outside in my opinion. Eat lots and varied vegetables and fruits and protein rich foods like nuts, seeds and beans. Exercising can help you forget the stress and improve your blood circulation.

I did try lots of things, oils, products etc, like you I was desperate too, I would run my hands through my hair and have clumps of hair falling out. Do not worry though, if your case is a stress case like mine, it will cease within 3-6 months, if it persists, than you should definitely go see the doctor again. I know 3-6 months sounds a lot, but that's just the way our body works, sometimes it takes time so try not to stress more as that can make things worse.

I know it's difficult, hair can be such a big deal sometimes, I've been there!

Lots of good luck and hopefully soon you will regain your hair!
    brastrap . pixie . chin . shoulder . armpit . brastrap . midback . waist . hip . tailbone . classic

Length
    16/22/22
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

Thank you so much for answering
    If I'm honest, my diet could do with improvement, I do eat healthy, wholegrains, lots of fruit and veg etc, but I eat some junk on top of that!! My lifestyle.. I've been struggling with depression for a little while now, maybe the stress of that is impacting on my hair? I just didn't think it would be such a sudden effect like this!
    I treat my hair SO carefully now, I wash it 2-3 times a week with an SLS free shampoo, only use these plastic-y coils from Asia to tie it up that don't snag at all, I've found it gets tangled easily so I comb it with a wide toothed comb before bed and run a little argan oil to keep it from getting too tangled then tie it into a loose bun on top of my head.
    I'm just so worried and panicky about it now, I HOPEHOPEHOPE it will grow back?! :/

Length
    16/22/22
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

sorry that 1st answer there ^^ was for breezefaerie!

Length
    16/22/22
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

Isilme: thank you for replying, honestly!

I am really careful with my hair now, I've always treated it gently but no heat, super gentle combing etcetc! I also only use SLS free shampoo so hopefully that will help..

You're so right about sleep/exercise/food, and I will definitely give the scalp massage a go. My doctor said I can't be referred to a dermatologist/trichologist through the surgery, I would have to go privately and the only place I would trust has a consultation fee of £275!! You never know though.. that may sound cheaper the more desperate I get :/

Thank you so much for your help though, if I'm super good about everything, do you think I have a good chance of it growing back???

Length
    16/22/22
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

Meteor: thank you so much for replying

I will try and push for the trichologist/dermatologist, even though I've already been told this isn't possible through my surgery! I did think about something fungal, my skin can play up sometimes like that, my doctor seemed to think it was fine though and she used to run a skin clinic!

I've been under a huge amount of stress during May because I really need to push through with my Uni finals, and in July-August I did a juicing diet for my graduation, I made sure I kept up everything with multivitamins and had a lot of kale/spinach/broccoli etc to keep my iron levels up but do you think this may have had an effect??? It's a little outside the 3 month window?

You mentioned that you hope it regains its thickness, is that possible?? Everything I've read sounds so depressing and full of doom, once it's fallen out there's not a lot you can do :/

Length
    16/22/22
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

arielįgua:

I think I will definitely try and be better with my diet and exercise, I find it really hard to cope with stress so exercise might be a good outlet.

Sorry to hear that this happened to you! When it stopped falling out, did it start growing back??

Thank you so much for replying, really means a lot to me as you're right, hair can seem like such a huge deal!