Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bleach on healthy hair... how bad will it be?

Length
    12/20ish/26+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Bleach on healthy hair... how bad will it be?

So if any of you have seen my really silly prior posts about all my failed attempts at removing indigo/henna, you'll know I'm at my wit's end and am about to go to a stylist to have them do a strand test with bleach.

I have never, ever bleached my hair before, and am seriously considering a haircut versus that dry, crunchy look I've seen on women who endlessly bleach their tresses. You know the look... obviously damaged hair.

However, I would only be bleaching once if my hair does not go green, so... would my hair fry at one go? My hair type is... I dunno... very similar to Asian hair, except I'm not Asian. It's very, very fine and silky, but I have a lot of hair.

Since I've never done bleach before and have only seen what it looks like after multiple uses... can anyone lend advice as to what I'm in for? Can hair be repaired after bleaching to restore it to its original state? Or will it permanently ruin the health?

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by WoolSweater; October 15th, 2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    Bob*Lifeless collarbone length * Healthy and shiny APL*MBL+

Sunscreen obsessed weirdo kaydana's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Bleach on healthy hair... how bad will it be?

It was only a few hours ago that you posted about your scalp hurting because of all the colour removing/lightening treatments you've done.

Give your hair/scalp a break before doing anything else to it.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Asian hair is typically coarse, not fine, so it doesn't sound like you have Asian-type hair at all. Fine hair is usually more prone to damage--and no, damage cannot be repaired at all. Strand testing is definitely the way to go, but if you have any doubts, don't bleach.

I also agree with Kaydana that you've already done a lot to your scalp and need to give it a rest before you do more.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Asian hair is typically coarse, not fine, so it doesn't sound like you have Asian-type hair at all. Fine hair is usually more prone to damage--and no, damage cannot be repaired at all. Strand testing is definitely the way to go, but if you have any doubts, don't bleach unless you're willing to do some trimming if it causes enough damage. Keep in mind that honey does contain peroxide, so since you've done honey lightening you have done some (mild) bleaching on your hair already.

I also agree with Kaydana that you've already done a lot to your scalp and need to give it a rest before you do more.

Length
    12/20ish/26+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kaydana View Post
    It was only a few hours ago that you posted about your scalp hurting because of all the colour removing/lightening treatments you've done.

Give your hair/scalp a break before doing anything else to it.
    I'm not doing it soon, I'm considering this in November, not tomorrow!

Length
    12/20ish/26+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jeanniet View Post
    Asian hair is typically coarse, not fine, so it doesn't sound like you have Asian-type hair at all. Fine hair is usually more prone to damage--and no, damage cannot be repaired at all. Strand testing is definitely the way to go, but if you have any doubts, don't bleach.

I don't know what Asian hair we are disagreeing on... my best mate is Asian and her hair is fine and silky as anything.

Length
    12/20ish/26+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Okay so since there is already some confusion,

1. Not doing this soon; sometime in November
    2. We will be strand testing the sh*t out of it before all my hair is done
    3. Just want to know about damage, if anyone has bleached before, any advice on how to do it/don't do it, etc.

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

My hair was bleached once, just highlights, I can't remember what strength/how long, I think I posted in on here at some point.

My hair is not crunchy and was not after. I'm sure there was some damage, but I can't find it . My hair is naturally fine and dry, it's the same now.
    Do try to put some coconut oil on your length before bleaching (I did and it is protective) and make sure if you do to find a good protein/moisture balance.

Don't do anything else to your hair before bleaching, give it a break.

Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist?-Hip-Tailbone--GOALOn to classic?

Length
    Chin/TBL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

WoolSweater, how light are you wanting to go and what is your starting color? The damage really depends on what action you take after you have bleached your hair. Protein treatments will be a must, and so will deep-conditioning at least twice a week. If you are going to bleach your hair it is a process depending on where you start from. If you are planning from going from black to blonde in one bleaching session your hair is going to be insanely damaged. But if you go from black to light brown in intervals (with intensive treatments in-between) then your hair will see the least amount of damage. I would recommend (as a licensed cosmetologist) that you use no higher than 20 volume peroxide and don't let the bleach sit on your hair for longer than 25 minutes, and definitely don't apply heat to make the bleach work faster. Your cuticle is already being opened up my the chemicals in the bleach and using heat to further open them will hurt you hair a lot. The bottom line is bleach will damage your hair no matter what, but it all depends on what you do to care for lightened hair. If you have any questions feel free to message me.
    Slowly creeping towards knee-length hair...

Length
    12/20ish/26+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cheetahfast View Post
    My hair was bleached once, just highlights, I can't remember what strength/how long, I think I posted in on here at some point.

My hair is not crunchy and was not after. I'm sure there was some damage, but I can't find it . My hair is naturally fine and dry, it's the same now.
    Do try to put some coconut oil on your length before bleaching (I did and it is protective) and make sure if you do to find a good protein/moisture balance.

Don't do anything else to your hair before bleaching, give it a break.

Don't worry, I won't! Thanks for all your help throughout my threads, haha.
    Do I put coconut oil on and then bleach, or do I wash the coconut oil out first? I cook with it so thankfully I have a couple jars.