Thread: Stall at waist? Help!

Huge Tolkien Nerd! Long_hair_bear's Avatar
    Length
    bob/41.25/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Stall at waist? Help!

Hey there, chappies!

I wondered if anyone else's hair stalled when they hit waist or abit past it. I've been stuck at 32" now for several months (no trims) and its getting irritating. My ends are starting to thin too (also irritating) I'm planning on going for a trim soon to thicken my ends, but my growth stall is bugging me. I can't afford hair vitamins right now, though my normal vitamin has biotin in it. I really hope I haven't hit term at waist

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts." - Jim Morrison
    "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her." 1 Corinthians 11:15
    *UNICORN* Looking for Maxima Diamond Two toned Amethyst in Large

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Stall at waist? Help!

It's not unusual for people to have the occasional stall that lasts a few months. It's certainly happened to me plenty of times, which is why I only really measure my hair once a year and try to forget about it in the meantime. That way I always end up assuring myself that my growth is on track. Unless your stall lasts for a much longer time, I'd say it's too soon to worry. It can be really frustrating if you're trying to reach a specific hair goal, but try not to stress about it.

Huge Tolkien Nerd! Long_hair_bear's Avatar
    Length
    bob/41.25/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

My temp goal is that when I sit down, it falls in my lap. I'm close but no cigar. /facepalm I try to measure it less than I did, which was once a month, but its like weight loss.... I like to see rapid progress.

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts." - Jim Morrison
    "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her." 1 Corinthians 11:15
    *UNICORN* Looking for Maxima Diamond Two toned Amethyst in Large

Length
    awl/tb/cl
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I felt like I stalled between bsl & WL. And now I'm at Bcl, and feel I'll never ever hit Cl. I don't blame it on slow hair growth, I blame it on body build.

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

My hair also stalls at waist! It did it when I grew my hair to almost classic a few years ago and it did the past few months as I still growing out from my big chop. The good news is it can start back up growing! Mine did, even after a several month stall and thinning ends. The tips of my thin ends are now past hip and I am waiting until I am past tailbone to trim.
    Good luck! Just have patience and one day you will realize it grew an inch while you weren't looking! It seems to get easier from there

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I stalled right at waist, as I recall. My thyroid had dropped again, and my hair just stopped growing for like...6-7 months? It was very frustrating, and right around the time I joined LHC. I'm at classic now, if that's any comfort?
    Lady Blaze Sweetsong of the Swift Arrow and the Law Scroll, Priestess of the Divine Flame in the Order of Long-Haired Knights, with her service dog Sir Foofus

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Do you wear it down daily? Although there are many potential reasons for a stall, it could be that you have got to the stage where your ends are wearing away as fast as your hair grows in at the roots. If so, you'll need a way to baby your ends and length to reduce the amount of damage they are receiving. If you don't do anything terribly damaging (e.g. flat ironing, bleaching, dyeing) then wearing it down is a prime suspect for the problem.

I had exactly this problem, though a little further along than you. For me, daily loose hair = "terminal" at TBL, whilst daily updos = still growing at about 2" before knee.

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I stalled at 36 inches forever. (about a year) Not really a stall, per say, but certainly slow growth as every time I had a mini trim, I'd be back to 36. I finally said no to trims and dealt with my splits using catnip tea. For 6 months. I have finally made it to 37 inches.

Length
    2/29/30
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I stalled just above waist (25 inches) for almost whole last year and half of this year! It was frustrating! I lost all interest in my hair growth this spring because of that stall and practiced benign neglect. I measured at the end of the summer and woohoo - 2 inches of growth (whish is a lot to me) and a solid waist! I don't use any other food supplements than fish oil but I use that for more than a year now. Don't give up just yet, sometimes hair has it's own agenda
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better. (S. Beckett)

Quote Originally Posted by Panth View Post
    ... For me, daily loose hair = "terminal" at TBL, whilst daily updos = still growing at about 2" before knee.
    Wow, what a great case for the use of protective styling, it's amazing to hear the impact it can have.