Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. Your Thoughts--Please.

Default Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. Your Thoughts--Please.

So I have been using, "Aubrey Organics" products for years and years. Nothing else really. I never used the, "HSR" conditioner before though I tried the shampoo back when I was just getting into the company. The results were nice but I generally detest floral smells so I moved on to others that became my staples. A few weeks ago, I fell into protein-overload. For those of you who have experienced this, you know how awful it can be. My hair is improving by having first clarified, out all protein-imbued/panthenol-included/coconut oil-laden products, shampooing less and focusing on moisture via baggying, warm deep treatments, occasional wet-bunning, sometimes conditioner washing and using a leave-in. Well, I have been working, in part, with Aubrey's, "White Camellia" conditioner but also bought the, "Honeysuckle Rose". I am not sure if my results were good with it or not so good. Strange I know but some things seemed to bastly improve upon using it, though my protein-crisped areas seemed a bit more crisp...First I used it as a diluted leave-in, sealed with some shea butter, bagged it for several hours. I had to shampoo in the end because of the shea butter residue. Did not mean to do that--got too much on. My hair started to behave a bit more like itself, was wavier, looser again and so looked even more like itself all the more since I have been on this new regime for 3 weeks. But my 'candy wrapper' area of hair seemed crisper. Some days later, I then tried the, "HSR" as a 20-minute deep treatment--just on its own and without heat. Stuff is rich and I got too much but did not want to wash my hair since I had shampooed only a couple of days prior to that (I am trying not to shampoo my hair more than once a week--two times, tops). Now my hair felt stiff and crisp in areas...Yet, my hair had improved in other noticeable ways. This conditioner is without protein, so is it just because I used too much on application that I ended up with some of the above issues? Should I try it again? is there a better way to go about using it? I am an eager pupil--TEACH ME! Hehe.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. Your Thoughts--Please.

Shea butter is not known for its slip, does not penetrate and can build up especially if conditioner only washing. You might not be clearing the protein build up if you are coating it in heavy butters and only shampooing infrequently.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Hmmm...

First, thanks so much for responding.

My hair is probably around 60% better I would say after this new regime I have been 3 weeks. So I must be getting rid of some of that protein surely and eventually, I would imagine the effects wear off anyhow as long as no protein is used.

It is only in the past week and a half that I have cut back on washings...I have read everywhere that I should try not to wash my hair more than twice a week while this is going on and a hairdresser I know told me the same. My hair often seems better for days I skip. However, my scalp seems clean. My shampoo has a small amount of apple cider vinegar in it and I use a dilute apple cider vinegar rinse fortnightly too. I am going for every 3 days as to shampooing. I went 5 and did not like that. I have read, however, that allowing the scalp's natural oils to increase a bit before shampooing is not just good for battling protein-overload but also is better for the hair anyhow. i used to wash every single day and would often, "Repeat" and from what I have read on this board, that was too much! I am being mindful about product build-up because I don't normally use things like leave-ins, oils or deep condition my hair much but with what my hair is currently going through, I have had to step those things up a bit. I don't need gunk caking up my hair along with the protein--you are right about that! Anyway, as to the past frequent washings (for years!) my hair seemed to put up with it just fine, save for some split ends but an improper comb could have also been the culprit there.

I dislike conditioner washing actually. I tried it on a couple of occasions since this happened and think that it just is not for me. It seems to make my hair shed more. Plus, I just really like the feeling a good shampooing imparts to my hair.

Shea butter...I have decided as of today to keep the giant pot I have it, for use on my body only. I have tried it as a seal on my hair thrice and yes, oily and stringy strands have been the result and the crisper parts are crisper until I wash it out. I only used a tiny scrape of it each time too!

I did a lot of research last night and learned that I am not baggying correctly, am not using a leave-in properly and so I am hoping that my improvement will increase ten-fold by integrating changes to proper application and methods as to the above. I have also been very careful not to slather products on--'less is more' as they say. The exception was the, "Honeysuckle Rose" last week. I simply got too much. I am thinking I might try it again via a dime-sized amount as a rinse-out--see what happens then. I think my hair liked it and I just got too much. It always liked it in products before the protein-binge.

'It' meaning shea butter--just to specify.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Hi dark star- I agree with Firefox. And like you, though I have liked some of the Aubrey organics conditioners, honeysuckle rose was not one of them. It left my hair very coated & gross feeling no matter how little I used. Not sure how to get it to work, I think it's the type if conditioner that would be good for coarse/ frizzy hair. I also don't believe the hype about stretching washes, . There really isn't any scientific evidence that supports this. Your own sebum contains very little lauric acid & you would need tons if it in the ends if your hair (where the damage is most likely is to occur) for it to be if any real benefit. Since it seems like you don't really have problems with washing your hair, but more with overuse/build-up, you might be better off clarifying & starting over, and maybe using a penetrating oil that's high in lauric acid on the ends (like coconut oil) for 12+ hours and then washing it out.

Length
    25/34/47
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I also had issues with this conditioner. No matter how much I use my hair turns into a huge grease ball and its just horrible. First few times I used it I liked it, so I bought 3 more bottles. Now I have 3 1/2 bottles of a conditioner that I hate.
    Hip!! Hoping to make TBL by the end of the year.
    BSL 24" - WAIST 28" - HIP 33" - BCL 35" - TBL 39" - CLASSIC 47"

Length
    SL+/apl/bsl
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

In my experience it's great for dry and damaged hair, but for healthy hair not so much. I had to stop using it when I grew out all of the damage, because my hair felt waxy and coated. I used it after shampooing, left it for around 20 minutes and then rinsed.

Length
    6/42/45
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I use Honeysuckle Rose every so often on dry hair for a "deep conditioning" treatment (usually about 30 minutes before washing) but only because I have a bottle that needs using up. I really don't like it as a normal conditioner. It leaves build-up right away and does not soften and detangle much.

I am only intending to use it as a deep conditioner actually. Then shampoo and condition with a lighter separate conditioner. I am not sure how often to wash my hair at this point. I used to do it daily. Yes, daily and sometimes would rinse and repeat. I did that for years and it was okay. I cut back to five days a week when I started having issues with tangles. More recently, I have cut back to every 3 days which I don't feel is too little. Sometimes when something is overtaxed, it is good to give it a rest.

I did clarify again a couple of days....I have to say I am struggling to find the right products to treat this. I REALLY need help on this one. I don't want to use anything that coats my hair and does not infuse moisture into it. Of course, it has to be protein-free, coconut oil-free and panthenol-free. I am allergic to sulfates (as in 'rash-city') and do NOT want to use cones. I just really want to fix this. I have fortune in Aubrey hair products because I loaded up on them when the company started radically changing things. Now I cannot use most of what I have because everything is infused with no-nos.

Anyway, I guess it is back to the drawing board. I don't want to clarify too much because it makes my hair feel really dry. Sine I did it again the other day, my ends have been crispier all over again and my hair feels drier than it has been feeling since I have been working on coming back from this darned overload. Yes, I deep conditioned afterward (not with the honeysuckle but my lighter one that I usually use as a rinse-out).

Also, thanks for the feedback. How do I tell if/when I have build-up by the way? I am aware that my hair might be getting a bit oilier due to stretching washes but that is expected.

I basically have to start over again and find a moisturizing shampoo, MAYBE another rinse-out conditioner, deep conditioner and leave-in that will work with me. Firefox talked about certain constituents in what she looks for in her products. I am intrigued Firefox because I am finding what I am using too oily or waxy and I want something lighter, yet really moisturizing. I see you are in the U.K. as am I. I am American, however, so am more well-versed on products back home in the States. I hate to ask this--but do you have any product recommendations with regard to the above four items? I know some can become multi-purpose which is grand. Of course, I may not be able to use anything if it has what I am calling, 'the no-nos' in it. But if you have any recommendations, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.