Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pictures of my hair really make me cringe

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    18/20/WL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Pictures of my hair really make me cringe

Well, folks, I did the honey lightening quite a few times (I guess all told, 20+ times) and it did work to lighten my henndigoed hair; it was nearly black, and it eventually became medium brown, a tone or two darker than my natural color.

But it was driving me crazy to have inches and inches of this dull dark-ish colored...stuff below my quite respectably red just-hennaed roots so I had a cut a couple of months ago.

Now the plan is to get 1/2" trims about every 3 months until the henndigo is gone and I'm left with just henna (you can see that I have a good several inches of just henna now). This way, I'll still get a bit of growth since I grow about 1/2-3/4" a month.

BUT in the meantime MY ENDS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY. I look at my siggie and I cringe. I've gotten all I'm going to get out of honey lightening; my last attempts at honeying showed me that I've reached my "natural lightening" limit. I've been wearing my hair up a lot...

Just wanted to whine about it.

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Pictures of my hair really make me cringe

Glenna, I know JUST how you feel. I truly share your pain. The last few inches of my hair are still slightly orangey from the old henna, and I have many inches (to just below my ears) of the nice silvery ash blonde colour that I want. My only solution is to wear it up and forget it. You'll grow it out eventually and the regular trims will keep the ends feeling nice too.

Good luck!!!

LHC member for 17 years and ALWAYS learning!.....♥ Currently growing out silver again

Type
    3a/M/C/iii

Glenna Girl, sorry about the unwanted color. I guess you just have to sit tight and wait. Smart idea about mini trims in the meantime though.

Do you have your honey lightening experience written down on the boards somewhere so I can read it?

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

hair grows! i love your hair! It's so thick! look at mine and I'm sure you will love what you got. Mine is 3 toned And thin as! I'm chopping it soon.
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I really do understand your frustration, GlennaGirl. I think your hair looks lovely, but I know how it is when you don't like it yourself. It doesn't matter what anyone says.

All I can say for certain, is that hair does grow, and with your plan of trims, you will gain length and you will get rid of your unwanted colour.

In the meantime, we're all here whenever you want to vent.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    6"/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

GlennaGirl, I've hated my hair when viewed through the eyes of this site forEVER. I don't mean that anyone here (well, besides a few charmers who were gauche enough to SAY something about it) said anything bad or viewed it as bad (or, if they did, they were tactful and effective LIARS) but when I viewed my own hair as a person who has the opportunity to see, daily, some really buttkickin' heads of hair and view MY hair in comparison to The Gorgeous Ones' hair, I fall dreadfully short. I finally just had to quit looking at the pics of others and quit trying to stack MY hair (which is a direct result of MY genes, and those cannot be helped, blame my mother, ya know?) against those heads of hair here who have genes that look pumped-up-on-steriods compared to my wimpy hairgenes. I can never compete with that, and when I TRIED, I was miserable. I had to march to the tune of my OWN drummer, and now that I am, I'm VERY happy. The worst hair-day of my LIFE was when I saw a pic here of MY hair put next to Hairstorm's hair. I instantly broke down in tears and curses. It was HORRID.

Do what YOU need to do for YOUR hair, if it's a trim, then just DO it and leave the guilt at the curb where it belongs. I personally think your pic is great and don't see the problem, but I'm not there seeing your hair and feeling it, and you know best. YOU do what works for YOU and forget the rest. You're doing great, Hon!

Length
    30/30/32+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

This is why I "refuse" and "will never" color my hair. At least until I'm turning grey. I don't want this issue with my hair. The thing that frightened me away from coloring is when I was in middle school and use hydrogen peroxide and water and blow drying to lighten my hair. I had the 2 tone look for a few years.

Length
    14/24/???
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Glennagirl, I have had multicolored hair before, and will again when I decide to stop the henna and let myself go silver. It's all about patience. Hang in there, and know that all will be well.

By the way I love the thickness of your hair in your photos. You are so lucky!
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce."- Wm. Shakespeare

Length
    10"/10"/40"

Oh Glennagirl, I think your hair is beautiful. If only I had your problem instead of trying to grow out a spiky cut that's about an inch all over! As others have said, I'm sure a lot is personal perception.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Glenna, your hair really doesn't look as bad as you think. Honestly.

I've been suffering from two- and three-toned hair for years. It's the price of dyeing then getting off the dye bandwagon. If I wear it down, at least it's not as visible; when it's up the orange, dull ends are more obvious in contrast with my ashy natural color.

The great advantage you have over me is that your hair is thick and your hemline even. Your hair really does look healthy, shiny, and thick, which is more than I can say for mine after years of good care. I think you are doing the right thing, but as you know, it takes time!

hope you are feeling better

Katze
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii