Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiry Hairs!? FEELING MAJORLY OCD ABOUT THEM, HELP ME!

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Wiry Hairs!? FEELING MAJORLY OCD ABOUT THEM, HELP ME!

If any of you recall my hair story, I had blonde highlights for a while (around 3 years ago), then summer 2011 I decided to dye my hair about 5 times in one week. Since then, I've called it quits with chemical damage. I've been letting my natural colour grow out and haven't dyed in almost 2 years. I cut my hair from MBL to shoulder a few weeks ago, and I only have about an inch of dyed hair on the ends of my canopy.

Now, recently (I've only noticed this after cutting my hair) I have some wiry/wavy/zig-zaggy hairs growing out of my head! They seem to be most prevalent in my bangs and around my part line. This is EXTREMELY frustrating because I compromised ~8 inches of length and my preferred hair colour for the health of my hair, and now it feels like I'm getting cheated out of that. The underside of my hair is different, it's still completely smooth and silky. I've used honey to lighten my hair several times since growing out my natural colour, but I used it on my whole head, so if that were the cause of these zig-zaggy hairs, then they would be found throughout the underside of hair as well.

I'm wondering if this can be caused by mechanical damage? Perhaps combing/scratching my scalp?

I'm quite upset because I was expecting my hair to be like it was before it was dyed (perfectly smooth and sleek) and it is on the underside, but throughout the canopy and in my bangs I have a bunch of these wonky hairs. I also cannot stop myself from yanking them out, and there are WAY too many of them to do that with!

Also, some of them are rough feeling only on some parts of the hair, not throughout the length of the entire strand.

Argh. Help me, please!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Wiry Hairs!? FEELING MAJORLY OCD ABOUT THEM, HELP ME!

Eeep, don't yank them out, that's trichotillomania... it turned into a very addictive compulsion from my own exp!

What are the hairs like exactly? is it soft ziggles like this ~ or crizzly ones like ^^^ ?

unless you have afro kinky type hair crizzly ones would usually be caused by chemical damaged follicle, scab hairs i think they call them. If its more of a wiggle then they are generally common. I have a whole bunch of them, which after being pulled out then moving onto curly/wavy hairs, made me almost bald...

Is it possible you just never noticed them before when you had natural hair? Could it be the hairs have been over stretched and now the shape is distorted (this wouldn't be a uniform tight ~)? Hormones and age can affect hair type too, so it might not have anything to do with damage.

Also folicles that are damaged, stressed or w/e can chuck out different hair types too. I do know for sure that when you pull them out they grow back just as wiggly except over time they just stop growing back.
    Last edited by goldloli; April 28th, 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Hair texture can significantly change over time, and often in an isolated area - these hairs may be perfectly healthy & normal.

My canopy is completely different than the rest of my hair - wiry, crazy afro kink vs smooth waves everywhere else.

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I have these too, and I struggle too with a compulsion to pull them out. Do try not to though, as Goldloli said, it becomes addictive, and very difficult to stop.

Mine grow out of my head this way, they are unevenly crimped, and often VERY thick. Brittle too, if I do pull one, they snap rather than pulling out, leaving a spikey bit poking out of my scalp.

You are not alone.

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

No one's hair is perfectly uniform in type. While I type as 1c, I have individual hairs that are crimped in texture like a type 4 curly. A few tendrils near my face are 3b or 3a curls, pretty much at random. It's very rare for natural things to be uniform, so my hair is pretty normal. The thing that makes me a 1c is that the vast majority of my individual hairs are stick straight or form very long S waves. Unless you know what you're looking for and are going over every hair on my head, you'd have a tough time finding a crimpy or curly strand.

My hair is also really fine, and even so, you'd probably have an easier time finding a medium to coarse hair on my head than a curly one .

Since I live in this body, I can usually find a curly strand pretty easily... but I know exactly where to look too. We tend to know our own bodies very well indeed.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by UltraBella View Post
    Hair texture can significantly change over time, and often in an isolated area - these hairs may be perfectly healthy & normal.

My canopy is completely different than the rest of my hair - wiry, crazy afro kink vs smooth waves everywhere else.
    This.

It is genetic. I have them, the texture of horse hairs and kinky like 'other body hair,' though the top layer of my hair is baby fine. My parents have quite different hair genes; I'm a mix. I have everything from blonde baby fine hair to reddish and dark brown M texture hairs, to these dark dark kinky curly wiry hairs.

Lots of people have this.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    32/42/44
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Are they the same colour as the rest of your hair? I ask because if I feel a particularly wiry hair, when I actually look at it it's often a white one, I guess they would also be harder to see on blonde hair. They seem to change texture sometimes for some reason.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Differing textures is very normal. I've got it all, from very fine and kinky to coarse and straight. Just let your hair be; it's unique.

When my DD was little and I'd braid her hair, I noticed that she had a few baby-duck yellow hairs like this WWWWWWWWWWWW scattered through her hair. That's just how it grew; no damage.

Length
    ~21/31/HL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Yep I have this, it freaked me out, I thought all my hair would turn like this! There's getting to be more of them I think. My hair is very fine and blonette/mousy brown/dark blonde, whatever you want to call it. I get the hairs you describe, they feel wiry, they are zig zaggy and often much darker than my natural hair. I get them mainly on the top of my hair so the stick out and they are impossible to smooth! I think it's normal, thought it is annoying haha.
    | CBL | SL | BSL | MBL | WL+ | HL |

Length
    9"/waist/thigh
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I have them too, they are kinky and black, where the rest of my hair is lighter. Since they also only grow at the top of my head near parts, I wondered if sun damage doesn't cause it by damaging roots, but I don't know.