Thread: Insecure about wearing hair up

The City of Fallen Angels, where the ocean meets the sand
    Length
    26/32/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Red face Insecure about wearing hair up

Hi everyone

I was just reading the 'insecure about wearing your hair down' thread and was wondering if anyone here is on the other side of the spectrum.
    When I was younger, I always wore my hair in a ponytail. It was easy etc, but then, with my moms encouragement, I started wearing my hair down more. It evolved into wearing it down all the time. People said it looked good and I began to think that it looked bad when it was up.
    I hide behind my hair, I feel like my head looks weird when I put it all up. I'm still shy of updos, but I am getting better.

Is there anyone else here like me?

December 2010!!!!
    Lady Roheryn of the Houyhnhnm Wisdom in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Blewyn Euraid
    Length
    TB/TB/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Insecure about wearing hair up

I was a little, but Im trying to avoid damage so I also have to avoid being down. I hate my ears so I would hide them

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I don't like wearing my hair up. It feels like I'm not really pulled together, and is unflattering to my face, head size/shape, and figure.

However, having seen some pics of my hair from the back, down, when *I* thought it looked OK, and pics of it up when I thought it looked yucky, I realize I can't see what other people can see.

The only updo I like at the moment is a messy twisty thing held with a Ficcare, with my crown hair pulled straight back. That makes me look up-to-date and flatters my face. The rest - blah.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Banned
    Length
    SL/Waist/Hips
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I feel more secure about myself when my hair is down for sure.

Account Closed by Member Request

Well, I was feeling awkward with my hair up for a looong time, so I only wore it down. That actually frustrated me a bit, because I grew (and am growing) my hair to wear nice updos - my longer hair was rather pointless.
    But when I started SO, my hair started looking better being up than being down, so I started to wear it up every day. (I am participating in the "Wear your hair up for one year" challenge.)
    The awkward feeling has now turned into the complete opposite: I'd feel really awkward with my hair down, so I wear it up all the time. In fact, I'm happier than before because growing my hair and therefore being able to wear nice updos really paid/pays off!

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I feel very insecure with my hair up in a bun because it so fine and thin that it makes my bun look so tiny. I feel like people stare at it and think "wow her hair is thin". I usually put it in a loose braid to make it look thicker.
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Saranne772 View Post
    I was a little, but Im trying to avoid damage so I also have to avoid being down. I hate my ears so I would hide them
    Same here. I never put my hair up because i was so self conscious about my ears. When my hair is down the tips poke through my hair. They have been made fun of before. Some people said i reminded them of a fairy though haha.Basically this summer i just stopped caring. I have no idea how i did it! Maybe it was the love for my hair and wanting to protect it. It just started with wearing it up in my room...to wearing it up around the house..to going out with it up. Maybe you could take baby steps like wearing it up at home that seemed to help me. Now i wear it up all the time. I'm happy I'm no longer so self conscious about my ears. I don't even really notice them anymore. Their just..me. I don't think I'd have it any other way. I think it just depends on what your used to. I'm not gonna wear my hair down for a while and have had it up all the time that I've went to this new school year. I plan on doing this until I'm at waist. (I'm really close but not QUITE there!) But i know already that i will be worried about going with my hair down and exposed. Last year someone threw gum in this guys hair. It was really curly and he just cut it out then everyone was messing with him saying their was a bald spot when their wasn't. So...I'm hoping to get only positivity from everyone!
    But anyways
    I hope you find a way to be comfortable! Baby steps! We always judge ourselves the harshest eh?
    I'm getting better at accepting myself though! I hope things work for you. best wishes!

*Sorry i ramble sometimes lol
    Last edited by Magicknthenight; August 19th, 2008 at 08:53 AM.

Length
    SHLDR/SHLDR/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I'm insecure about wearing my hair up as I don't like the way I look with it up and it's not long enough to do anything very exciting with either.
    Does my hair really look like that from the back?
    Hermione Granger - Prisoner of Azkaban

Length
    pixie/hip/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I prefer to wear my hair down because I suck at updos, plain and simple. They tend to give me headaches and never look as good as I want them to.

I used to wear my hair down exclusively before LHC, but now I wear it up most of the time simply because it's easier. It's getting long enough that it gets in the way if it's left down, and I don't want to have to pull it up if I have to do something where I want it out of the way, and I don't want to comb it during the day. Plus it's wavy, so it poofs under a lot of conditions.

I still let myself wear my hair down if I think I'm having an awesome hair day though, usually a day or two after washing, because it just looks better, IMO.

Length
    12"/30.25/36"+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I love having my hair up, whether it was long or sort, but I also get those headaches. I scatter after nearly every event to pull my hair down. I have a collection of hairbands on my wrist in case I lose some while constantly putting it up and down at work.