Thread: My go-to bun won't!

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

Default My go-to bun won't!

One of the frustrations for me of growing out my hair is that as it gets longer and longer, it will reach a magic length where my old standby routines or updos no longer work. It will take me a while to figure out what will work, and in the short term, I get very annoyed!

I have been happily doing nautilus buns for ages. All of a sudden, the inside part of the bun is drooping out of the middle and looking funny because I have to do so many wraps around. Sorry, I can't explain it better than that, but you nautilus bun lovers should know what I mean. If I try to capture the inside part with my stick so it doesn't droop out, my hair pulls and hurts. I am gutted! I now have to figure out a new every day bun and I am not sure which one to try next. My hair isn't significantly longer than when the nautilus worked for me, only a few centimeters. So why now, hair? Why now?

The upside is that sometimes as my hair goes through this process, something that didn't work before will suddenly work well. That is why I periodically go back and try things that didn't work for me before, just to see if things have changed.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    CBL/Hip/Term
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: My go-to bun won't!

This EXACT thing is happening to me! Since I learned this bun a couple years ago, it's been my usual bun. Now, with my hair nearly TB length...I can't get it to ever work the same. I have tried all different kinds of wrapping the hair in different amounts, changing this and that, just doesn't work the same on my hair anymore. =/

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I got it to work until classic length. The moment I creep past classic, my buns fall apart! *cries*
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    ear/TBL+!/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I know exactly what you mean! Alas, the age-old growing-out-of-updos dilemma. As my hair sneaks up on classic, I'm starting to have that problem with my go-to bun (the KarenLynn knot for longer hair). Good luck finding your new neverfail updo!
    Lady Xi of the Maple Tree in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights!
    Avatar picture from Brunnhilde with her horse at the mouth of the cave by Arthur Rackham

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I have found that I can extend the amount of time I can hold on to a bun style by switching to a braided version when my hair outgrows the normal one....a way to stave off having to find a new style for a little while, anyway

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

My hair grows so slowly that I haven't had this problem since joining the LHC. I'm trying to learn a range of updos at the moment, so hopefully I'll have lots to pick from if one starts letting me down. Good luck with learning a new go-to style!

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Maybe this is the problem in having. I like the nautilus because its so secure but i dont often wear it out becaue it looks sloppy. I did have luck with a nice half up nautilus then braiding the bottom section to wrap around it. My long term go to has been a cinnabun with a u-pin. I feel for ya though it happens to all of us eventually.

Length
    ~24"/48"/41"
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

Look at WaitingSoLong's tutorials! She's really easy to follow and does some of the buns slightly differently so they might stay better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaitingS...?feature=watch

11/28/12: 35" --- 3/2/13: 37.5" --- 4/18/13: 38.25" --- 5/10/13: Trim from 38.5" to 37.5" --- 10/6/13: 40" (Classic!) --- 12/13/13: 41.5" --- 1/16/16: 48" (approaching knee!)

Length
    SL/Class/?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Oh god, I'm so experiencing this. My hair isn't even all that long, but suddenly I simply cannot get the lazy wrap to look like it should any more - ironically, it keeps turning out like a nautilus! And I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong/differently.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I hate when I out grew hair styles in the past. I look at it this way time to try new ones.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com