Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: List your hair goals for 2023

Quote Originally Posted by KokotheHen View Post
    I am very late to this but:

-reach classic (Almost there! Just 2 inches away!)
    -learn more bun styles
    -start micro-trimming if I do reach classic to get a thicker hemline
    -find a new shampoo and conditioner combo that works for me as my old ones no longer seem to work as well as they did before
    -find something to fix my weird tangly ends
    Apologies if you have already considered/done this, but in case you haven't: have you clarified recently?
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    MBL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Apologies if you have already considered/done this, but in case you haven't: have you clarified recently?
    I did do an apple cider vinegar rinse a few times and that didn’t help, and I also tried using a sulfate shampoo to no avail (I try to stay away from sulfates and silicones though, because my hair hates them),but I haven’t tried an actual “clarifying shampoo.” That is a good idea though, thanks!
    Last edited by KokotheHen; June 23rd, 2023 at 12:18 PM.
    I am just old-fashioned enough to like long hair, gardening, and knitting…
    Cut Back to Tailbone!

Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by KokotheHen View Post
    I did do an apple cider vinegar rinse a few times and that didn’t help, and I also tried using a sulfate shampoo to no avail (I try to stay away from sulfates and silicones though, because my hair hates them),but I haven’t tried an actual “clarifying shampoo.” That is a good idea though, thanks!
    Ah, ACV won't clarify, it just helps to prevent mineral buildup.

Was the sulphate shampoo you used clear or pearlescent? Clear ones are more likely to work, although they usually need to sit for a few minutes after sudsing up the whole length. If you feel a shampoo might be too harsh for your scalp (whether it's specifically marketed as clarifying or not) you can just clarify your lengths, unless the roots are feeling off as well.

I hope it helps, but if not then at least you'll know you've not overlooked a simple solution to the problems you're trying to solve

Length
    .5 in/21 in/??
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Was the sulphate shampoo you used clear or pearlescent? Clear ones are more likely to work, although they usually need to sit for a few minutes after sudsing up the whole length. If you feel a shampoo might be too harsh for your scalp (whether it's specifically marketed as clarifying or not) you can just clarify your lengths, unless the roots are feeling off as well.

I hope it helps, but if not then at least you'll know you've not overlooked a simple solution to the problems you're trying to solve
    Random somewhat off-topic question: Is ACV good if you have hard water? Should one rinse with ACV every wash if one has hard water? I thought I would ask since you seem to have good knowledge of ACV. Thank you!
    Last edited by ReadingRenee; June 23rd, 2023 at 02:41 PM.

Length
    MBL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I’m pretty sure it was pearlescent, thanks for the tip on using a clear one! I also didn’t let the shampoo sit for longer, which might be why it did nothing. Do you have any recommendations on good clarifying shampoos?
    I am just old-fashioned enough to like long hair, gardening, and knitting…
    Cut Back to Tailbone!

Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ReadingRenee View Post
    Random somewhat off-topic question: Is ACV good if you have hard water? Should one rinse with ACV every wash if one has hard water? I thought I would ask since you seem to have good knowledge of ACV. Thank you!
    I'm not especially knowledgeable, I just remember this from when I was looking for alternative washing methods compatible with hard water

Some people swear by an ACV rinse, some people find white vinegar more effective, other people find citric acid better, and some people don't find any particular difference, especially if their hair seems to be fine with hard water. So just like everything else with haircare, the answer is whatever works best for you. Sorry I can't actually help!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    - My focus is to maintain at MBL during 2023. Around 4-5 inches of my hair has a different texture, it is stringy and looks damaged. I would like to trim that out, which might also mean the former face framing layers will catch up with the length of my hair.
    - Do not cut more than an inch at a time! I think I’m in huge danger of chopping too much this year and I don’t think that would be the right decision. The ends are not as thick as I would like, but they’re not terrible. If I cut back, only the faster growing hair/racers will reach longer lengths. When I maintain, some hair is already there so any hair that catches up will add to those and make it thicker.
    - Plait hair before washing as this virtually eliminates tangles for me.
    - Continue with babassu oiling pre wash and flaxseed gel post wash
    - Maintain a fringe, maybe grow it slightly for the summer. The variation does me good.
    - To avoid a chop, it’s important that I wear my hair up so I can forget about it, with a spiral stick or a curved fork and scarf, as those are the most comfortable options. I should wear earrings and hair flowers or scarves if I want to make it look different.
    Haha, oh dear I didn’t keep to the bolded part. I got frustrated with the thinner, damaged ends, and cut them off at the beginning of May. I trimmed a bit before that too so I probably cut around 2.5 - 3 inches.

I don’t regret it though. I’ve pretty much ignored my hair since then because it doesn’t need much. I shaped the front more too, and overall the look is stronger and thicker than it was. My hair still looks see through but I think that’s just its nature and a trim wouldn’t change it.

I don’t need to plait before washing anymore because it doesn’t get very tangled, now that most of the damage has gone. If there is damage left, it isn’t particularly noticeable and I’m not going to go looking for it.

I kept a fringe, and I haven’t grown it out yet. I think it’s working quite well as it is so will probably keep it the same for the rest of the year. I’m still using babassu oil and wearing my hair up most of the time. If I wear it down, I can enjoy it because I’m not self conscious about thin ends anymore. I have a strong, cohesive hairstyle, which is what I wanted for my 2022 goal

My amended goal for 2023 is to try to get back to MBL I guess, but if my ends get thin or too stringy again, I’ll trim them and just go with the flow.

Length
    .5 in/21 in/??
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I'm not especially knowledgeable, I just remember this from when I was looking for alternative washing methods compatible with hard water

Some people swear by an ACV rinse, some people find white vinegar more effective, other people find citric acid better, and some people don't find any particular difference, especially if their hair seems to be fine with hard water. So just like everything else with haircare, the answer is whatever works best for you. Sorry I can't actually help!
    Thank you for your reply! I appreciate the info. I did some research and discovered my water isn't as hard as I thought. But, ACV still seems to make my hair better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    Haha, oh dear I didn’t keep to the bolded part. I got frustrated with the thinner, damaged ends, and cut them off at the beginning of May. I trimmed a bit before that too so I probably cut around 2.5 - 3 inches.

I don’t regret it though. I’ve pretty much ignored my hair since then because it doesn’t need much. I shaped the front more too, and overall the look is stronger and thicker than it was. My hair still looks see through but I think that’s just its nature and a trim wouldn’t change it.

I don’t need to plait before washing anymore because it doesn’t get very tangled, now that most of the damage has gone. If there is damage left, it isn’t particularly noticeable and I’m not going to go looking for it.

I kept a fringe, and I haven’t grown it out yet. I think it’s working quite well as it is so will probably keep it the same for the rest of the year. I’m still using babassu oil and wearing my hair up most of the time. If I wear it down, I can enjoy it because I’m not self conscious about thin ends anymore. I have a strong, cohesive hairstyle, which is what I wanted for my 2022 goal

My amended goal for 2023 is to try to get back to MBL I guess, but if my ends get thin or too stringy again, I’ll trim them and just go with the flow.
    I have been researching oils and just came across babassu oil. I had never heard of it before. Do you find it makes a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by ReadingRenee View Post
    Thank you for your reply! I appreciate the info. I did some research and discovered my water isn't as hard as I thought. But, ACV still seems to make my hair better.

I have been researching oils and just came across babassu oil. I had never heard of it before. Do you find it makes a difference?
    Yes, my hair tangles more I don’t use it. I put it in prewash and I don’t need conditioner to partially remove it before I use shampoo - that might be down to the particular shampoo and conditioner I use, I don’t know (Giovanni Smooth As Silk or Giovanni 50:50). The hint of oil that is left seems to add a bit of slip, and my hair feels supple.

In theory, because it’s a penetrating oil, it should protect the hair when it’s being washed. My hair takes less time to dry when I use babassu oil so that does make sense to me.

My hair is a mixture of fine and medium strands but it gets weighed down very easily. My favourite thing about using babassu oil as a prewash is that it doesn’t weigh down my hair.

Length
    SL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by cookies View Post
    - reach waist or beyond
    - figure out what henna color I want and how to achieve it keep growing my natural color out; do not use henna
    - have reliable routines to get the perfect waves or straightening effects
    - no trims second half of 2023
    - keep ends healthy and hydrated;learn when they need what
    - keep frizz at a minimum
    - buy a silk bonnet, scrunchies and some (non silk ) sticks
    - find favorite hair products or learn how to make them myself
    - bonus points if I manage to thicken it a bit (not that it's thin or anything, I'm just greedy)
    - reduce the tools and products I need for haircare to a minimum and get them to be as basic as possible

ETA: no longer applicable, update
    I had to modify mine a bit. I decided to grow my natural color out and so that means no more henna for the time being.
    I'm on track for getting to waist by the end of the year. Given that hip is very close after that, if I get a growth spurt, I might even get to HL.
    I still intend to not trim after my July 5th appointment. Now that I've started S&D and understanding my hair needs more, I'm confident my ends can make it through six months of no professional intervention
    Speaking of hair needs, hydration is obviously not the only thing dry ends may need, as I've learned. I'm looking forward to getting the balancing act just right.
    As for silk and sticks, I'll have to wait until I have the budget for such things. My hair does look wild in the mornings, not gonna lie But putting it up doesn't seem to change things much, whether it's a braid or a bun, it's the crown that gets all the frizz.
    That being said, the overall frizz situation is better. I CO washed for the first time couple of days ago and I loved the result, but my hair is greasier about a day sooner. I did use an oil heavy conditioner for the wash though to try and combat the humidity (which worked!), so maybe this time I try a different one.

I also added a new goal - to simplify the tools and products I use as much as possible. This one occurred to me recently, inspired probably by the finger combing only and the WO threads. I imagine it would be so liberating when traveling for example! Less is more.
    overall: SL>>>APL>>>BSL>>>WL>>>HL>>>BCL>>>TBL
    natural: 0>>>EL>>>CL>>>SL