Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bigger Amish-Type Pins

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: Bigger Amish-Type Pins

Crinklies just slide right out. The straight ones work better for me.

Good luck to those who make their own.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by KameRose View Post
    Err.... forget what I said, there is now way that is actually a three gauge after I thought about it.

And I walked out of work today with a 50 pack of 4-1/4" garden staples. I think I'll raid my fathers part tins to see what kind of steam punky pins I can make. Looks like I may need to learn how to weld or solder...
    Haha, that's very cool!

I looked again at that Amazon link to see what other things were advertised. There were 8" ones, for the extreme longhairs! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TMZ336S...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== Who needs U pins when you can hold it with just one ginormoungous* fork?!
    *Well if it wasn't a word before, it is now!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

In case anyone was wondering here is a comparison photo between a Lilla Rose swerve and a garden staple:

With some careful bending they could easily be turned into a slightly shorter swerves and yes some filing to at least get the sharp snaggy ends dulled. I don't think shaping them is strictly necessary though. I think they will be making a lot of neat hair toys. And you can't beat the price, $5.99 for a box of 50! I definitely won't cry if I destroy a few in my experimenting.
    "Do you ever feel like a misfit? Everything inside you is dark and twisted
    but it's okay to be different
    'cause baby, so am I" ~So Am I

Length
    24”/33.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

CobraLuxe do custom orders, they're in Australia but have really low international shipping rates! I have one of their forks and it's so smooth and every single piece is rounded. They might be able to make something?
    APL - BSL - *MBL* - WL - HL - TBL
    Last trim: 12th March 2021
    Pantene fanatic, sulphate and silicone lover

Length
    24”/33.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Also regarding the garden staple, I've made a few from fencing wire!! They are great but you definitely have to spend a good while on filing the ends to be smooth and they don't slide through hair quite the same way as a polished metal fork. Still does the job, though!
    APL - BSL - *MBL* - WL - HL - TBL
    Last trim: 12th March 2021
    Pantene fanatic, sulphate and silicone lover

I actually did work on filing the ends last night of one of the garden staples, maybe spent only a half hour on it. Working absently while I was watching TV. Since the tips are already pointed I just wanted to dull down the sharp edges and get rid of the small snaggy burr that was on one end. I just used a couple cheap nail files I didn't care about.

Now if I wanted to change the shape of the ends, that would take forever! Like if I wanted to do a cone end on it instead of the lipstick one that it already has.

It slides in and out of my hair pretty easily. Not quite as smooth as my highly polished hair sticks or the ones with like chrome finishes. I do intend to put a clear coat on it to prevent rust, so that will help
    "Do you ever feel like a misfit? Everything inside you is dark and twisted
    but it's okay to be different
    'cause baby, so am I" ~So Am I

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

Any wire pin wider than the straight Amish ones won't stay in my hair, I don't care how long they are. Mrs Finicky also wants stainless steel, not iron nor industrial gauge wire. I envision passing an electromagnet....

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

We really REALLY need a good option for these pins! I have also ordered the China knockoff ones and have been VERY disappointed. They are UNusable, I promise you that!

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cg View Post
    Any wire pin wider than the straight Amish ones won't stay in my hair, I don't care how long they are. Mrs Finicky also wants stainless steel, not iron nor industrial gauge wire. I envision passing an electromagnet....

characters
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    ~Chin/TBL+/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by KameRose View Post
    Err.... forget what I said, there is now way that is actually a three gauge after I thought about it.

And I walked out of work today with a 50 pack of 4-1/4" garden staples. I think I'll raid my fathers part tins to see what kind of steam punky pins I can make. Looks like I may need to learn how to weld or solder...
    Actually, those ones *were* far too big! You were completely right. I'll either use them for actual gardening (their intended garden staple use ) or send them back to Amazon. DBF says that he has a "sander" so that might be just the sort of power tool that is needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cg View Post
    Crinklies just slide right out. The straight ones work better for me.

Good luck to those who make their own.
    I originally would have expected the opposite, but the straight ones work better for me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Haha, that's very cool!

I looked again at that Amazon link to see what other things were advertised. There were 8" ones, for the extreme longhairs! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TMZ336S...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== Who needs U pins when you can hold it with just one ginormoungous* fork?!
    *Well if it wasn't a word before, it is now!
    Lots of ginormoungous fork options out there!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleHealthy View Post
    CobraLuxe do custom orders, they're in Australia but have really low international shipping rates! I have one of their forks and it's so smooth and every single piece is rounded. They might be able to make something?
    Ohh I'll take a look at this...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Diva View Post
    We really REALLY need a good option for these pins! I have also ordered the China knockoff ones and have been VERY disappointed. They are UNusable, I promise you that!
    Totally agree!
    ~Bleach-free from April 2018~*~No trimming~