Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Henna Oil?

Default Henna Oil?

Hi. Has anyone here ever done a henna oil infusion or used henna oil? Today I made an infusion using Nupur Henna (henna mixed with Brahmi, Amla, and Bhringraj powder) and used EVOO as a carrier oil. I made a brahmi, amla, and neem oil infusion the same way that leaves my hair nice and soft, but I'm hoping that the henna oil infusion will provide me with some of the strengthening properties that henna treatments give, without the mess. So, does it work?
    "She walks in beauty, like the night/ Of cloudless climes and starry skies;/And all that's best of dark and bright/Meet in her aspect and her eyes..."-George Gordan, Lord Byron

Default Re: Henna Oil?

I used some of the Nupur henna in oil. I can't really say yet if it's giving the conditioning benefits of henna, plus all the other herbs I'm using can be working. Vatika oil has henna in it also, so I guess it does protect hair.

May I ask how you made your infused oil and how you strain it? Mines came out still henna/muddy like.

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

There's henna in the Cocoveda oil that I use. I can't say if I notice anything from the henna specifically since there are other herbs, but I like the oil very much.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I am a henna artist and have never heard of henna oil as being particularly useful in any way. There are products sold as 'mehlabiya oil' which are intended for use with henna body art, and are either a dodgy mix of essential oils OR contain things like kerosene - so I always tell clients to avoid such products.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Quote Originally Posted by lastnite View Post
    I used some of the Nupur henna in oil. I can't really say yet if it's giving the conditioning benefits of henna, plus all the other herbs I'm using can be working. Vatika oil has henna in it also, so I guess it does protect hair.

May I ask how you made your infused oil and how you strain it? Mines came out still henna/muddy like.
    I made my oil by taking my little dipper mini crockpot, putting my henna mix into it and poured in my olive oil and let it sit for about 5 hours. I believe I did something wrong because my mix, when finished, smelled a bit burned or caramelized. Had a nutty, sweet smell to it that doesn't smell anything like henna. So, needless to say, I don't recommend that you infuse it that way. The ironic part is that I infused my brahmi oil that way and it came out lovely, no burned smell at all . BUt, on a more positive note, I did apply a small amount of that smelly mix to my hair, and my hair does feel softer and smoother, but that could just be from the olive oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Katze View Post
    I am a henna artist and have never heard of henna oil as being particularly useful in any way. There are products sold as 'mehlabiya oil' which are intended for use with henna body art, and are either a dodgy mix of essential oils OR contain things like kerosene - so I always tell clients to avoid such products.
    I've never really heard much about henna oil either until recently. I kind of deduced that since many members use brahmi, amla, and shikakai oils that henna can be used similarly. But I'm beginning to think otherwise. I may just have to stick with my regular henna treatments.
    "She walks in beauty, like the night/ Of cloudless climes and starry skies;/And all that's best of dark and bright/Meet in her aspect and her eyes..."-George Gordan, Lord Byron

Account Closed by Member Request

I make my own henna oil. It is 1tbs of henna powder to 1/2 a cup of oil (I've used coconut and olive.) Let it sit for about 2 weeks and ta-da! Henna oil! I use it in overnight treatments.

Length
    TBL/BSL+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I was considering buying this before and when i looked it up,i found it was only used to enhance the henna colour and nothing more..so i dont know.although the brand of amla oil i was using had henna in it too,but i didnt notice anything special.

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post
    I make my own henna oil. It is 1tbs of henna powder to 1/2 a cup of oil (I've used coconut and olive.) Let it sit for about 2 weeks and ta-da! Henna oil! I use it in overnight treatments.
    Do you find that it strengthens the hair similarly to regular henna treatments? Well, I think I'm going to be making my oils this way from now on. At least I know that if I use this method that I don't have to worry about my herbs or oil burning from my crockpot (which doesn't have heat settings). I'm most likely going to add a small amount of henna to the Brahmi, Amla, and Neem Oil I infuse and use that on a weekly basis.
    Last edited by ccmuffingirl; June 29th, 2010 at 12:43 PM.

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by ccmuffingirl View Post
    Do you find that it strengthens the hair similarly to regular henna treatments?
    It's not as strong, but it does feel like it strengthens the hair. The oil is a brownish red colour and is nice mixed with conditioner. I'm doing an experiment to see if henna oil actually adds colour.

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post
    It's not as strong, but it does feel like it strengthens the hair. The oil is a brownish red colour and is nice mixed with conditioner. I'm doing an experiment to see if henna oil actually adds colour.
    Thanks for the input! Sounds great. I just may try this.