PDA

View Full Version : Tips for vegetable dye on unbleached hair?

MagicalMystery
April 18th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Hi folks,

I recently decided to go back to my ever so beloved Punky Color dye on my dark blonde hair, and was wondering if anyone had any great tips to make it last on unbleached hair. I absolutely love the depth I achieve by not bleaching... My natural color is at a level that allows the dye to be just bright enough while maintaining a deep tone by keeping my natural color underneath. I have read that you need to apply it for a few hours and wrap it up. I've got it on right now and I'm hoping it clings to my virgin roots. Anyone else have any tips on getting it to stick to virgin hair?

BeckyAH
April 18th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Leave it on for at least an hour - overnight is better, actually, and a shower cap is fantastic for applying/trapping your body heat to help it set. When you rinse the dye out use cool water and a white vinegar final rinse (diluted). Wash as little as you can, and always use cool water (hot will make it bleed more), and a very gentle shampoo. Limit oiling as much as you can.

You're still going to have a lot of fade and bleeding - healthy hair tends not to be as porous and punky type dyes are really just stains - but you can get some time out of it if you're careful.

geeorgie
April 18th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I usually leave it on for a minimum of a few hours, wrapped up in cling film or foil to keep it warm. I also use a hair dryer to apply heat every so often, I've heard this works well for many people, and it does for me! Because you can leave these dyes on for so long I would leave it on as long as possible too, to make sure the hair has really been saturated. Hope that helps a bit! :)

MagicalMystery
April 18th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks ladies!! :) Thankfully, I only use shampoo every 2 weeks. I do condition everyday though. Are some conditioners better at retaining color than others? I use Tre Semme Naturals right now.

Also, has anyone ever tried Pravana Vivids with success over unbleached hair? I'm thinking of getting some.

luxepiggy
April 18th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I use deposit dye over unbleached virgin hair too! (^(oo)^)v

After I've applied the dye, I wrap it in plastic and secure a silk sleep cap on top, then leave the colour on overnight. The next morning I rinse with the coldest water I can stand, and follow with a very diluted acidic rinse.

To maintain the colour, I strongly recommend CO-washing, if you don't currently do so. Shampoo seems to cause deposit dyes to fade exponentially faster, IME! Also, if you are willing to use 'cones, aminosilicones have been shown to reduce fading of direct dyes from the hair (http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc1995/cc046n05/p00231-p00245.pdf) as well as to enhance the vividness of red-dyed hair in particular (http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc2007/cc058n04/p00283-p00294.pdf).

luxepiggy
April 18th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Also, has anyone ever tried Pravana Vivids with success over unbleached hair? I'm thinking of getting some.

I use Pravana Vivids Blue and it is so much better than the consumer brand deposit dyes. The colour has a lot more depth and it lasts for ages; I actually have to be pretty vigilant about my roots because otherwise I show a demarcation line.

The pic below was taken about a month after dyeing. That strip of brown is my natural colour - I saved a little bundle of undyed sheds before I started. Why? No idea .... for archival purposes, I suppose? (^(oo)^)v
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/naturalcolouragainstblueblacksmall.jpg

MagicalMystery
April 18th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Wonderful!! :) I just ordered some Pravana in red and orange. I want a warm scarlet red, so I'll add a drop of orange and see what happens. Gonna wait until the Punky fades, so I'll try it in a few months.

How does Pravana work? Do you apply it straight? How long do you leave it on? I'm assuming you cover your hair too?

MagicalMystery
April 18th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Hmmm... cones eh... I'm not sure whether or not Tre Semme Naturals has cones in it. Anyone know? I enjoyed Herbal Essence Hydralicious in the past, so maybe I'll go back.

luxepiggy
April 18th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Wonderful!! :) I just ordered some Pravana in red and orange. I want a warm scarlet red, so I'll add a drop of orange and see what happens. Gonna wait until the Punky fades, so I'll try it in a few months.
Woo, exciting! Do post pics in the Pravana Vivids thread when you're done, please :flower:

How does Pravana work? Do you apply it straight? How long do you leave it on? I'm assuming you cover your hair too?

Just like most other deposit dyes - apply directly from the tube to clean, dry hair, cover, etc. The wrapping/rinsing procedure I described in my first post has been working well for me (^(oo)^)v

Hmmm... cones eh... I'm not sure whether or not Tre Semme Naturals has cones in it. Anyone know? I enjoyed Herbal Essence Hydralicious in the past, so maybe I'll go back.

It's actually only a specific family of 'cones, the aminosilicones, that offer colour-protection/enhancement. Look for "amodimethicone" in the ingredients list. I'm partial to L'Oréal Nutri Gloss conditioner for Damaged Hair (not the fine-hair version).

Quixii
April 18th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I don't know if you've seen my latest thread or my signature, but I did that on virgin unbleached hair. I just left it on for like eight hours. :)
(I don't use cones either, if that was questioned.)

MagicalMystery
April 18th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Awesome. Thanks. :) Quixii, which thread is that? Love the colors in your sig. Which brand did you use? I left on SFX Hot Lava mixed with Punky Poppy Red for about 4 hours, and it did stain some... but not as much as I want. I'll try an overnight treatment in a few weeks as new growth comes in. I mix in a bit of conditioner and a drop of water to make it easier to apply to my roots and to milk my dye... Bad or good idea?

I'm psyched about the Pravana vivids. :)

Luxepiggy, your hair is so shiny!!!

khrystyne572
April 19th, 2012, 02:23 AM
When I use Manic Panic on unbleached hair I use a clarifying shampoo, and no conditioner and let it airdry completely. This will strip your hair of old cones and oils and applying the dye to dry, clean hair gives maximum absorption.

Really glop it on good. Manic panic foams and is thick so it doesn't drip as bad as some other brands I've used. Then wear a cap or cling wrap to keep warm and let it sit.. Forever.. 8 hours or overnight is good.

a small warning- it stains. Bad. Red especially, but all of them do. The bottom of my shower needed a good scouring. Use OLD towels to wash your hair. After it's dry you may still get some color transfer on your shirt collar or pillowcase. Definitely do the vinegar. It sets the stain ( kind of like why you use vinegar when coloring easter eggs)

Happy coloring!

khrystyne572
April 19th, 2012, 02:26 AM
MagicalMystery I love your hair in your profile. You look a lot like an American Actress named Annie Potts. I hope you take that at a complement because she's really pretty.

Quixii
April 19th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Awesome. Thanks. :) Quixii, which thread is that? Love the colors in your sig. Which brand did you use? I left on SFX Hot Lava mixed with Punky Poppy Red for about 4 hours, and it did stain some... but not as much as I want. I'll try an overnight treatment in a few weeks as new growth comes in. I mix in a bit of conditioner and a drop of water to make it easier to apply to my roots and to milk my dye... Bad or good idea?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=90131 :)
I used a couple different brands.
I would not mix it with anything, especially conditioner. Really, you're not even supposed to use conditioner on your hair before you dye it, because dye really doesn't stick to conditioner. Mixing it with conditioner is a recommended way to make it less vibrant. ^^;

luxepiggy
April 19th, 2012, 04:02 PM
As Quixii mentioned, it's best not to dilute the dye with anything if you want vibrant results. Applying heat to the wrapped hair can help too.

I'm psyched about the Pravana vivids. :)
I'm excited for you! I love that stuff :cheese:

Luxepiggy, your hair is so shiny!!!

Thank you! That's partly from the Pravana (^(oo)^)v