PDA

View Full Version : Massage Oil for hair?

BBdck1
March 3rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
My DBF recently bought some massage oil from Bath and Body Works in lavender vanilla and I LOVE the scent! I want that smell in my hair but was wondering if you can use massage oil as a hair oil? I've been looking for a good smelling product (oil, spray) that will linger in my hair.

Sillage
March 3rd, 2012, 09:54 PM
What's in the massage oil?

Kyla
March 3rd, 2012, 09:59 PM
It really depends what is in the oil. If it's just a bunch of other oils and scents, it would probably be perfectly fine. However, depending on the composition some of the ingredients possibly could be drying or something.

BBdck1
March 3rd, 2012, 10:12 PM
Ingredient: Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed oil, Capryic/Capric Triglyceride, Laureth-4, Polyglyceryl-10 Decaoleate, Fragrance, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit, Salvis Sclarea (Clary) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Hypericum Perforation Extract, Triticum Vulgare (wheat) Germ Oil, Sambucus Nigra Flower Extract, Angelica Archangelica Root Extract, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract, Tocopherol, Squalene, Bisabolol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Polysorbate 21, Menthyl Lactate, BHT, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Butylphenyl Methypropional, Citronellol, Coumarin, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linaool

I had to type that out from the back of the bottle so there might be typos

Sillage
March 3rd, 2012, 10:32 PM
Looks like it's mainly sunflower seed oil and caprylic/capric triglyceride (which comes from coconut oil)... sunflower seed is a drying oil which means that it will form a film as it oxidizes. I personally have had no problems using drying oils on my hair but I clarify once or twice a month... ymmv.

DTsgirl
March 3rd, 2012, 10:54 PM
We have that massage oil and several others from Bath and Body. I use them on a pretty regular basis on my hair. No ill effects, and the smell lasts longer than tranditional hair serums. I like them for detangling / perfuming purposes.

Tisiloves
March 3rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
I say if you're really worried, strand test. Sounds really weird, but it's what I do with unknown quantities in my hair.

BBdck1
March 3rd, 2012, 11:44 PM
Good to know that the massage oil is not a big "no no" for hair. I've been dying to find something good smelling for my hair cause by around wash-day, it starts to smell :disgust: