PDA

View Full Version : How thick is your hair?

aquadreamer
January 8th, 2011, 11:22 AM
If you put your hair up in a ponytail, how many times can you wrap the rubber band around it? For me, if it's new/almost new rubber bands (I usually use two for support), I can wrap it around three times and it would generally be rather tight. I have waist length hair that's rather healthy, but when browsing youtube videos about long hair, I always somehow feel that their hair is almost twice as thick as mine. So I wanted to know if it's my illusion or true. :)

thisischristine
January 8th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Mine is so so fine. I long for a thick pony tail. I think maybe when the baby hairs catch up and the layers grow out it will look thicker? Do you think that those with thick hair tend to be more likely to grow it successfully, or that growing it and caring for it allows it to be thicker? I never see anyone with hair as thin as mine with it past BSL :(

bluesnowflake
January 8th, 2011, 11:27 AM
With new bands I can wrap between 2 and 3 times. Just as a tip, here we usually measure thickness by ponytail circumference. My ponytail circumference is about 4", which is at the upper end of normal/lower end of thick.

baaaad_kitty
January 8th, 2011, 11:33 AM
My hair is right smack in the middle of having medium thickness. I always thought my hair was thin, though. And I have this classmate with really really THICK straight hair, its gorgeous! Makes me have thickness envy :(

Aerith85
January 8th, 2011, 11:36 AM
My hair is pretty thick I wrap a band twice for support. x

jojo
January 8th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I only use scrunchies but my hair is just over 4" circumference

aquadreamer
Mine is so so fine. I long for a thick pony tail. I think maybe when the baby hairs catch up and the layers grow out it will look thicker? Do you think that those with thick hair tend to be more likely to grow it successfully, or that growing it and caring for it allows it to be thicker? I never see anyone with hair as thin as mine with it past BSL :(
I hope my baby hairs can grow out too, but I wonder if it ever will :(

aquadreamer
With new bands I can wrap between 2 and 3 times. Just as a tip, here we usually measure thickness by ponytail circumference. My ponytail circumference is about 4", which is at the upper end of normal/lower end of thick.
Thank you for the tip :) That's much more accurate than my method lol :)

jujube
January 8th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Too short to measure the actual ponytail, but so thick it doesn't actually move when I move my head.

MandaMom2Three
January 8th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Hard to say since hair elastics come in so many sizes, but my hair is quite thin. 2 1/4 " circumference. I'm hoping that will increase at least slightly with some vitamin supplements and such :p

UltraBella
January 8th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I have all different sizes of bands, so it completely depends, but I do have a lot of hair. Usually I can only wrap it twice. If I am actually going to wear my hair in a ponytail, which I VERY seldom do, I have to use two ponytail holders so I have more support. Otherwise it is really uncomfortable.
My ponytail circumference is 5.6" now that I cut bangs.

Madora
January 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM
When I ponytail (which is seldom) I use a coated hairband and wrap it around twice. I don't like tight ponytails..to much tension on delicate strands.

Fufu
January 8th, 2011, 12:26 PM
usually twice for me, I don't really like to tie it very tight.

1hunky5monkeys
January 8th, 2011, 12:51 PM
My pony is a little over 3" in circumference.

Alix
January 8th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Twice and my ponytail is about 4.75 inches.

ericthegreat
January 8th, 2011, 01:30 PM
It all depends on how big and/or stretchy the elastic is. I have and have used elastics and bands/scrunchies of all sizes.

On my scrunchies and my bigger ponytail bands, I can wrap them around 3 to 4 times.
On my regular ponytail bands, I can usually only wrap them around twice, because my hair is thick. I sometimes also use two bands together for a more secure ponytail.

lapushka
January 8th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Regular elastics go around my ponytail twice, barely / only just three times. It's pretty much always been that way.

xoxophelia
January 8th, 2011, 02:02 PM
My ponytail at the nape of my neck is now between 4.5-5" but it should continue to get thicker as it has been taking a long time for my hair to recover from illness (at its worse it was probably around 2")...

The only ponytail holders I have are very stretched out and I can get those around 3 times but new ones snap if I go for 3 loops and do not have enough support with only 2 :/

I mostly stick to buns :)

pepperminttea
January 8th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Not really sure; my Goody elastics are about half the size of my Scunci ones (both metal-free). When I measure my circumference it hovers between 3.7" and 4.0" (even measuring twice in the same session, it never comes out exactly the same), so my hair's at the thick end of ii, but not unusual.

cuddledumplin
January 8th, 2011, 02:23 PM
You know, my hair thickness changes from day to day. It's usually over 5 inches, but today it's about 4 1/2ish. I think humidity and the type of shampoo and conditioner I use effect it. I can wrap my Superdrug metal free elastics about 2 or 3 times depending upon how stretched they are.

Tia2010
January 8th, 2011, 03:01 PM
My pony circumference is about 4" . Some days a little thicker some days a little less. So at the high end of ii but it still looks thin to me. :rolleyes:

Cirafly24
January 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Mine is right in the middle of medium thickness...3"

Before last summer, it was about 3.25", but I had a big shed. Those hairs are now growing back, and they're super annoying.

christine1989
January 8th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I get the small elastics so they only wrap 2 times (barely!) Back when I first joined LHC I could eaisly do 3 with the same size elastic so the great info on here has really made a difference :).

Kristin
January 8th, 2011, 04:00 PM
When I've measured in the past, it was about 5.25", but I feel like it must be under 5"...

I am a typical LHCer in that I never think I can have enough hair.

kschr2004
January 8th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I have a 4 inch circumference, but I also have bangs so I would add about a half inch to that with the bangs. On the low end of a iii.

julliams
January 8th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I can wrap twice - my circumference is around 4 1/4" and I consider myself to have thick hair.

teela1978
January 8th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Have you checked out the newbie threads? This information is in most people's info, we measure circumference of ponytails and report it as i, ii, or iii thickness. i is less than 2" around, ii is 2-4 inches, iii is over 4 inches around. I'm around 3", so I'm a ii.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7804

Browniegirl
January 8th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I have a 6 inch ponytail, and I am also growing out my bangs( very annoying) .I think some of the bangs go into the pony, but not all. Does hair grow thiner as it grows? Mine is about midback now...i'm 5'7.

jaine
January 8th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Have you checked out the newbie threads? This information is in most people's info, we measure circumference of ponytails and report it as i, ii, or iii thickness. i is less than 2" around, ii is 2-4 inches, iii is over 4 inches around. I'm around 3", so I'm a ii.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7804

That is useful! This whole time I assumed that ii was 2-3 inches and iii was 3+ inches. Now I know for sure...thanks!

MissManda
January 8th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I don't think measuring hair thickness by how many times one wraps an elastic around their ponytail is terribly accurate because there are so many different sizes and because they have different elasticities. It also depends on how worn-out/stretched-out the elastic is.

My ponytail circumference is somewhere between 4-4.25" and with my preferred elastics I can wrap them 3 times max, although I prefer twice because getting that third wrap is a struggle. My hair is quite slippery, so I sometimes have to wear my elastics/hairtoys tighter than someone with less slippery hair because they have the tendency to slide out during the day. I don't wear ponytails very often anymore.

spidermom
January 8th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Ack! I would never put a rubberband in my hair!

Allychan
January 8th, 2011, 06:43 PM

My hair is incredibly fine. I hate washing it because it makes it even finer ie no grease to thicken it up.
Before torturing my hair I used to have hair nearly to my waist. At the time I did not know it but the secret was I worked 8hrs a day as a cleaner in 35oC (they would not let us use the air con) so I had to wear my hair up every day and I used to henna it every other month.
I can currently tie my hair up with an elastic band (5cm diameter band) by wrapping it around 6x

Allychan
January 8th, 2011, 06:46 PM
My pony circumference is barely 1"