PDA

View Full Version : No trims in 2011 challenge!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Dogbones
August 22nd, 2011, 04:35 AM
Hi Dogbones:D I've not had a cut since Nov last year (cut at a salon) And only been doing s&d since then:D

my hair texture is exactly like yours but just touching my shoulders, wish I could trade you lengths you hair is beautiful...:cool:

pixiestar
August 22nd, 2011, 06:03 AM
my hair texture is exactly like yours but just touching my shoulders, wish I could trade you lengths you hair is beautiful...:cool:
Thank you :o:blossom:

pixiestar
August 22nd, 2011, 08:43 AM
I just hit 20 inches:D

lillylonghair
August 23rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
I'm hanging in tight but man are my layers getting ratty looking. I'm actually glad I'm doing this challenge though b/c I probably would have already been in the salon to blend my bangs and clean up my ends which means I would have lost length. No splits or anything though. Just layers and ends going every which way:)

Honestwitness
August 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
Something I noticed about some people with very long hair is that their ends look scraggly. But their ends are sometimes almost touching the floor. They don't appear stressed at all about their ends, because the ends represent only a small percentage of their overall volume of hair. You can search on YouTube for "beautiful long hair" and see some inspiring videos of people swinging their long hair around in the breeze, combing it, etc. They have uneven, sparse hemlines, but that really inspires me to let my ends stay attached.

Also, as someone said, if you cut off the ends, you make new ends that are out there unprotected from the elements. By leaving the ends on, you are using them to protect the rest of the hair shaft. Maybe "protect" isn't the right word. Maybe what I'm trying to say is that the ends take the brunt of exposure to the environment. If we cut them off, we just make new ends, but the hair is shorter. I'm not saying it very well, but does anyone understand what I'm trying to explain?

My ends are very uneven and I have a pretty severe taper. But, they are very useful for holding a bun in place with only one hairstick. I hesitate to trim, because I have made the commitment not to do so for all of 2011, but also because I don't want to lose my ability to have a tidy bun.

Messyhair
August 23rd, 2011, 12:56 PM
Only about 4 months to go now. Pretty awesome! I plan to trim in January before I go on my "Christmas" holidays. That will make 1 year from my last trim. I never leave my hair down to air dry straight, so I don't know how my ends are looking. :p I always have bun waves at the end of the day.

Okay, today I left it down all day after washing, so I'll soon see how it is. *snapped photo* Nope, not too bad. I'll make the pic my new sig pic.

grrlshapedthing
August 27th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I think I'm still in I'll let you tell me what you think... I cut my fringe to be less in my eyes and more the fringe I like... so am I in or out?

McFearless
August 27th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Also, as someone said, if you cut off the ends, you make new ends that are out there unprotected from the elements. By leaving the ends on, you are using them to protect the rest of the hair shaft. Maybe "protect" isn't the right word. Maybe what I'm trying to say is that the ends take the brunt of exposure to the environment. If we cut them off, we just make new ends, but the hair is shorter. I'm not saying it very well, but does anyone understand what I'm trying to explain?

My ends are very uneven and I have a pretty severe taper. But, they are very useful for holding a bun in place with only one hairstick. I hesitate to trim, because I have made the commitment not to do so for all of 2011, but also because I don't want to lose my ability to have a tidy bun.
I understand what you're saying. I do the same with dry ends. If they aren't split why get rid of them? They protect my length. Good luck with the rest of the challenge. You only have a few months left! :)

Dragonsbane
August 28th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Something I noticed about some people with very long hair is that their ends look scraggly. But their ends are sometimes almost touching the floor. They don't appear stressed at all about their ends, because the ends represent only a small percentage of their overall volume of hair. You can search on YouTube for "beautiful long hair" and see some inspiring videos of people swinging their long hair around in the breeze, combing it, etc. They have uneven, sparse hemlines, but that really inspires me to let my ends stay attached.

My ends are very uneven and I have a pretty severe taper. But, they are very useful for holding a bun in place with only one hairstick. I hesitate to trim, because I have made the commitment not to do so for all of 2011, but also because I don't want to lose my ability to have a tidy bun.That's quite an interesting look at it, actually!

My hair is scraggly at the end, I have tons of splits all over, but I haven't had it trimmed since 2004! Been growing my hair for 20 years and I can honestly say that hair grows longer without trims than with.

IMO, it's all to do with what you're comfortable with. I know my splits aren't going away, so it's just my job to take care of them the best I can. Trims aren't going to get rid of all of them (would have to shave my head for that, and am not doing that!), so why worry?

Will get some good pics to post up soon!! lol!

Honestwitness
August 28th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Grrlshapedthing, I believe at the very beginning of this thread it was agreed that fringe doesn't count for this challenge. I say you're in. I'vve been trimming my fringe all along, but not the length. I consider myself still in the challenge.

McFearless and Dragonsbane, thanks for understanding my fumbling thoughts above. I'm glad I made sense to you.

I just took a shower and I can indeed verify that my longest bits are solidly at waist, at least when wet. Mind you, there are only about 20 hairs that reach that length, but the rest is still 'oozing' slowly out of my hair follicles. I know so, because I have had to trim my fringe twice in 2011. I just have some hairs that grow fast and some that grow slowly. This challenge has really revealed to me the difference in growth rates on the various areas of my scalp.

If I don't complete the challenge, how will I ever know what my hair will look like at the longest it has ever been in my life? Besides, if the ends look scraggly, I can just hide them in a pretty bun.

sabreena
August 28th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Im with you too. The last time i had a trim was on March. Now ive learnt from you guys how to dust off split ends. And I have started ritualistically doing it. I am usually scared to go to hair dressers because they confuse me and brainwash me into doing layers and V shape cuts. In the end, I find myself with hair that is at least 3 to 4 inches shorter.

I do not know how to trim it on my own honestly. So I shall wait till next March 2012 to trim off perhaps 1/2 an inch.

I do not do highlights or hair dyes. I always tie my hair in a bun except when I go to school.

And usually because I fear hair dressers so much...I hardly visit them. And it has done my length justice so far. I am slightly past my butt crack at the moment.

So I will give u all the support :D

sabreena
August 28th, 2011, 05:24 PM

I agree with you. In all honesty, when one grows their hair past their tail bone, some dryness will always be evident at the ends of the hair. I have often trimmed it and it would come back. The best method is to dust off split ends on a very regular basis. That makes the hair looks healthy and you do not lose much length.

Usually deep conditioning the ends does wonders. It may not look like the overall hair health. But it looks a lot better. A little bit of coconut oil at the ends every night or using protein cream has helped me quite a bit.

Sometimes you have to let it grow grow grow. And cut the splits in the process. If not we will never reach our goal length. :cheese:

Cirafly24
August 28th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Still going strong with no trimming :)

I have some splits, so I could use an S&D, but honestly I don't think my hair has ever looked better! :D

4 months to go!

kaned_ferret
August 29th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I haven't had a cut in nearly a year... (fringe excepted)... keep on growing! I'm starting to get impatient towards posting my "one year after deciding to grow" progress pics, seeing as I started out from a pixie / shaved back, but the whole not cutting thing isn't the issue I thought it would be - my hair still seems in good nick, thanks to the wonders of henna and no-silicone COing. Thank you LHC! :)

elbow chic
August 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM
If I don't complete the challenge, how will I ever know what my hair will look like at the longest it has ever been in my life? Besides, if the ends look scraggly, I can just hide them in a pretty bun.
Ditto all the above.

My ends look fine condition-wise but shape-wise the hemline is quite horrid.

It started out as layers and is trying to turn into FTEs, so now it's like the ugly adolescent offspring of the two :p

At least braids conceal the funkiness pretty well.

KLin
August 30th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Measured today and I have gained 4 inches this year. Pasted waist and tips are at hip, hope to be at TB by end of year then with shape up be between hip and TB with healthier looking ends for New Years.

Robbi Dehlinger
August 31st, 2011, 05:27 AM
I flunked! My ends looked scraggly, so I did a self trim :(

wishywashy
September 1st, 2011, 08:47 PM
Still growing strong as well..I have a major mullet going on right now though....but at least I can pull it into a cute little ponytail.

But compared to my coworkers that are growing out their hair as well from a pixie...I have more progress. One bleaches the crap out of her hair and the other keeps cutting her hair and using heat products on it. We all started to grow our hair out at the same time from the same length, and I feel like I am making the most progress (not that it is a competition, but it's still kind of a good feeling, can't deny it LOL) :eyebrows:

wishywashy
September 1st, 2011, 08:49 PM
Forgot to add that I have also gained a full inch since I joined LHC in July woohoo!

Honestwitness
September 17th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I fell off the wagon last night. I just couldn't endure the scraggly ends any longer. I trimmed such a small amount, though, that the pile of trimmed bits was no more massive than the pile of shed hairs when I shower. AND...it still measures 29 inches…even after trimming...because I wasn't counting the six or eight strands that were longer than the rest, when I was measuring before. Now that I've trimmed, I perceive it might be easier to break down and trim again soon, if I start getting scraggly ends again. Actually, my ends still look like fairy tale ends, because they're so sparse. I'm gonna chalk that up to heredity and old age, though. And the age of the ends and my veryy fragile hair. We'll see if my heatless methods will make for thicker ends over the next year. I still like having long hair, even if it is fragile.

teal
September 17th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I've been eyeing Feye's self-trim instructions because my ends are damaged, but I've been a good girl! Huzzah! :cheer:

I hide the scraggly ends in buns all the time. Otherwise I'd play with my tassel and damage the ends even more. :o

I've been S&Ding a little bit, but only every 2-3 weeks, and only taking a tiny bit above the split when I find one.

Is anyone else finding this challenge easy and hard all at the same time? :p

TheBluffs
September 17th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I have gotten new encouragement to keep going! :) The longest of my hair is at Classic, which was sooner than I expected!

leslissocool
September 17th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I am almost at BCL!!! Well at least my fairy tale ends... I am fighting the urge to cut, 3 more months!!!

jaine
September 17th, 2011, 05:02 PM
It's easy for me not to trim and I've only seen about 1 split all year. I measured 5 more inches in 8 months.

Cirafly24
September 22nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
It's easy for me not to trim and I've only seen about 1 split all year. I measured 5 more inches in 8 months.

That's wonderful growth! Congrats :cheer:

pixiestar
September 22nd, 2011, 11:31 PM
Well done everyone:D Not much longer to go. I'm still in:D

bunzfan
September 23rd, 2011, 02:11 AM
Keep going everyone your doing so well. Even though i am out of this after trimming to get rid of layers i plan on not cutting till next year.

Lize
September 23rd, 2011, 03:33 AM
Keep going everyone your doing so well. Even though i am out of this after trimming to get rid of layers i plan on not cutting till next year.

Same here... :) I might not cut until I am back at BSL...

Lippytoes
September 24th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I have to say that not trimming is still extremely easy for me! My hair seems to like it, and the ends are fairytaling in awesome ways. :) S & D combined with gentle treatment (CO-washing, oiling, SMTs) seems to be enough to keep my hair happy and healthy. :cheese:

Cheering everyone else on! Not trimming is awesome!

hela
September 24th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Still going strong here, though my ends are scraggly and all.

I thought of trimming my horrid ends this summer, but then I thought "how can I tell my no-trims-in-2011 buddies that I gave in". I managed to fight off my trimming outrages :luke:

mustpannkook
September 24th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I don't know how many inches I've got... I lost the measuring tape. I still hope to reach waist by Christmas, but I guess I won't.

Becky9679
September 28th, 2011, 01:10 AM
In just over a month it will be a full year since I've cut my hair! After that just two more months to complete the challenge.

I haven't done any microtrims or even an S&D, it hasn't been necessary :D

freckles
September 28th, 2011, 02:14 AM
In just over a month it will be a full year since I've cut my hair! After that just two more months to complete the challenge.

I haven't done any microtrims or even an S&D, it hasn't been necessary :D

just under a month until I reach a year! I hadn't even noticed 'till you said that :)

jaine
September 28th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I have a progress picture for all of you...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6126/6193387079_afdbea0ec0.jpg

Here's what it looked like last December
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=92150
(BTW I haven't dyed it... just different lighting)

I see that one side might be growing faster than the rest. That will probably be enough to justify a trim when this challenge is over even though I'm not getting split ends.

Honestwitness
September 28th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Jaine, your hair is gorgeous! It will be absolutely stunning when it gets to waist lengh. Good for you!

Rocket22
September 28th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Well I fell off the wagon. I did trim a tiny bit a couple of times :( nothing really noticeable but it still happened. I'm happy for all of you that are still in the challenge. I'm kinda still in just cheated a tiny bit.

Jaine: Your hair is so amazingly thick and what fantastic progress you have made

pixiestar
September 28th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Jaine you have had great growth and I love your hair:D

Julia_79
October 1st, 2011, 09:03 AM
I am still onboard! Last trim was in December 2010. We can make it! :)

Finnenna
October 1st, 2011, 11:15 AM
My hair looks so ragged! >< Would getting a microtrim be against the rules?

NaiadOreiad
October 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Urgh I was so close! The velcro ends was killing me! I got a 1cm trim and a dusting today and I am much happier for it! I guess my fine hair needs trimming sometimes.

jaine
October 8th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Who else is still with us? I haven't trimmed yet. Less than 3 months left.

Of the Fae
October 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I haven't trimmed since October last year :) And holding on for as long as I can :D
No necessity here yet !

pixiestar
October 8th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Still here:D Not trimmed since last November.

bte
October 8th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Still here - on Christmas eve it will be 17&#189; years since my last trim.

Congratulations to everyone who has got this far, and good luck with the last three months of the year. And well done to everyone who has got at least part of the way and made lots of progress.

ArienEllariel
October 8th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I'm still doing great. I mean, I could trim if I wanted to but the ends aren't that bad that I hate them. Been without a trim for a full year and a half now. ^^

Audhumla
October 9th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I guess it's cheating that I've only been inadvertently participating in this challenge until now but I'm officially in. I'm not brave enough to cut my own hair yet (it freaks me out that it's difficult to see how it's going from my vantage point during the process. I like the idea of someone watching over things back there :p) and I haven't had a haircut since around October last year.
My hair seems to be not really long enough or damaged enough to get split ends and there's not really a style that I want at this length so avoiding a trim for the next 3 months should be pretty easy.
Good luck guys !

Sooze
October 9th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Sorry ladies - hadn't trimmed since 9th October last year but had to cave in and have about an inch and a half off on Friday - velcro ends for me, too am afraid. Still, my hairdresser reckoned my hair is in excellent condition, so I'm not disheartened. Good luck to the rest of you who managed to hold out. :)

WinterButterfly
October 9th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I didn't see this thread till right after my september trim. But I did go a bit over a year. Good luck to those in the challange!

AcornMystic
October 9th, 2011, 02:33 AM
My hair looks so ragged! >< Would getting a microtrim be against the rules?

"S&D is okay, and bang/fringe trimming is allowed" No other trims. :P

Lippytoes
October 9th, 2011, 03:18 AM
I haven't trimmed since August 2009, and still going strong. :) My ends are in pretty good condition due to my combo of CO, S&D and SMTs, so I'm not at all tempted to trim. My ends seem to be growing into a sort of V-ish shape, which suits me fine!

freckles
October 9th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I'm still in :) drowning in split ends, but apart from S&D I'm still planning on ignoring them until the year is out :)

vloucak
October 9th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Hi! I am still in, I have a lot of hair splits and dots but I am trying hard to wait for the end of the year for some cut ... but my hair dont grow so much so I am a bit sad, I thought they would be longer on the end of the year .... :confused:

Lize
October 10th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Great job everyone who is still in!! Maybe if there's a challenge next year I could join that one. I had a much needed cut to get rid of layers and my hair is in a much better condition now. We'll see. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress pics in the end of the year! :)

jaine
October 10th, 2011, 09:30 AM
My progress picture won't be very impressive. 6 inches just isn't that much! But I'm happy I don't have splits yet...maybe I can go another year without trims if the shape doesn't start to annoy me.

Rocket22
October 10th, 2011, 09:31 AM
My progress picture won't be very impressive. 6 inches just isn't that much! But I'm happy I don't have splits yet...maybe I can go another year without trims if the shape doesn't start to annoy me.

I think 6" is great!!!! it's right on schedule:)

Mrspuddinhead
October 10th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Well, sadly I"m out. I was doing a S & D and discovered to many split ends to avoid a trim any longer. So I did a micro trim and I do mean micro. I was surprised my fiance even noticed. This was before the trim back in Aug. I never took a picture for Sept and I won't take a picture for Oct until the 26th.
http://i52.tinypic.com/b498oj.jpg

jaine
October 10th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I think 6" is great!!!! it's right on schedule:)

Thanks! I know, but it would be so nice to get past "shoulder length" ...6 inches is just enough to take me from a shortish shoulder length to a longish shoulder length. :p someday!

Mountaingrrl
October 11th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I'm at six months now, which is the longest I've gone without trimming, and my hair is still going strong -- no splits whatsoever, thanks to the hair care techniques I've learned here.

Sjirsten
October 11th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Still in, looking forward to treating myself to a nice salon experience in January. Contemplating getting a fringe...Oh well, I`ll have loads of time to decide:-)

jaine
October 11th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I was contemplating the same thing...maybe not a fringe but just some wispy pieces to hang out of updos. My buns seem kind of austere without that.

Cirafly24
October 12th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I'm still in :). I'll be doing some S&D one of these days, but no trimming.

I was contemplating the same thing...maybe not a fringe but just some wispy pieces to hang out of updos. My buns seem kind of austere without that.

I've been thinking along those same lines. My updos tend to look very severe, and I think a few little face framing wispies might be nice.

Audhumla
October 14th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I just found my first ever split end :( It was a doozy too. It looked so bad. Support needed :(

freckles
October 26th, 2011, 07:18 AM
how's everyone doing? :)

I'm still in ... but beginning to look forward to my January trim and wonder how much I should take off. I've been doing a lot of S&D recently, but regardless, my ends are not good! Who else is still in? :)

skaempfer
October 26th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I just found my first ever split end :( It was a doozy too. It looked so bad. Support needed :(
:grouphug:

Hang in there! Just snip it off and keep babying.

I'm still in. Heading into winter, my hair gets dryer and dryer. I think I'll have to step up the moisture treatments!

Regarding the wispy bits some of you are discussing; energetic S&D can give you that effect, gratis :D

Mountaingrrl
October 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I had a couple of splits after wearing my hair down at a rather energetic dance party. S&D'd 'em and moved on. I'll consider a tiny trim in April -- or perhaps next October, when I hope to be at waist length.

deliahblue
October 26th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I haven't trimmed my ends all year. I think i'm going to have to trim soon, the ends are starting to look scraggly

Kaeita
October 26th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Confession time (which would have come much earlier, except that I was away from the forum for a few months after my son broke his arm, and then I tore a tendon in my finger, which took longer than the arm to heal - he's back to using his, mine is still unusable!): I will admit that I had a bit of a trim in March, but I justified it to myself that it was a year's worth of S&D all in one hit, because my hair is too short for me to do it myself without going blind! It wasn't so much that I needed it, though I was still having issues with leftover butchering (ie layers), so it cleared that up too. My main reason though, was to invoke the growing power of the waxing moon in Cancer, which I read about shortly after my trim in January.

Purely coincidentally, I'm sure, my hair had stopped growing after the trim in January, and started growing again, and very quickly, after the trim in March. I've had around 12-13cm growth since then (around 5inches), so I'm pretty happy! The ends have had moments of unhappiness, feeling dry at times, but I'm learning how to soothe them, rather than going straight to thinking I need a trim. I don't plan to trim again till February or March next year, whenever the next waxing moon in Cancer is ;) unless something unforeseeable happens in the meantime.

So, I don't know if I still count as part of the club, but it has been a good incentive to ignore the mild urges to go to the hair dresser.

sanfen
October 26th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I'm still hanging in there. Ends are dryish and uneven. Can't wait to even up the hemline. Don't like the fairy tail end look on myself.

Considering it's been close to two years without a real trim, I'm not doing too badly though. :)

Audhumla
October 26th, 2011, 09:02 PM
:grouphug:

Hang in there! Just snip it off and keep babying.

I'm still in, now with regular S&D sessions. I hope everyone else is still going strong :D

Varney
October 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I still don't have that many splits, but I'm starting to get lots of white dots though so they're obviously on the way. So I'm doing lots of S&D right now.

pixiestar
October 30th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I'm out, did a tiny tiny trim. Still at 20inches.

Becky9679
November 1st, 2011, 11:19 AM
Yesterday marked one year since my last trim! No scissors have touched my hair in that time, not even for S&D (and I still have no visible splits).

In all honesty I'm thinking that I may just carry on not trimming once this challenge is over and see what happens!

Safira
November 1st, 2011, 02:54 PM
Not in, trimmed twice at this summer. Too much white dots and splits... After henna those didnīt happen. I might be wiser next year.

GrowingGlory
November 1st, 2011, 03:20 PM
I made it through a full calendar year without the slightest trim. I'm so happy that this thread inspired me to do so. I may never draw near a pair of scissors again. Thank you, LHC.

Lize
November 2nd, 2011, 02:46 AM
Yesterday marked one year since my last trim! No scissors have touched my hair in that time, not even for S&D (and I still have no visible splits).

In all honesty I'm thinking that I may just carry on not trimming once this challenge is over and see what happens!

I made it through a full calendar year without the slightest trim. I'm so happy that this thread inspired me to do so. I may never draw near a pair of scissors again. Thank you, LHC.

Congratulations!! :joy: You kind of make me want to try this again next year now that I have a bit healthier hair.....

IanB
November 2nd, 2011, 03:04 AM
Still no trims since late January!

jaine
November 12th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Who's still in?
I am, but just barely.
2 weeks ago I actually scheduled a trim for today because my ends were feeling tangly, and it was driving me nuts. I ended up canceling it though, because if I dry my hair without gel then it doesn't feel tangly. Tangling was my only concern, no splits or shape issues, so I decided to keep going for now.

If I hadn't cancelled, then I would be getting my hair cut right now. Spooky.

vloucak
November 12th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I am still in, it is quite hard but hair is slowly growing :o

spitfire511
November 12th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Wow - congrats to you Jaine and vloucak!

I'm still in as well - but barely. I friend recently started at a new, posh salon and I REALLY want to go in for a trim. I'm about 3 weeks short of a calendar year since my big chop. BUT - I'm glad I logged in today (since it's been a while since I've been over) to reinspire me! :) Not gonna trim until January!

Ceridwen Iris
November 12th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Hi, I'm new to LHC and haven't cut my hair for at least a year, possible even two, I can't remember. I wish I could claim that was willpower but I'm just really very lazy and neglectful when it comes to my hair.

My ends look OK to me. They could probably use a bit of a trim but certainly nothing that makes me think everyone is looking at me and thinking, "God woman, get a haircut"

ladonna
November 12th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Wow I don't think I would be able to not cut my hair, I'm scissor happy :/
Congrats to all who accomplished this goal!

Lippytoes
November 13th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Who's still in?

I'm definitely still in! Last haircut was in August 2009, and due to gentle treatment I think my ends are still doing fine. Having wavy hair does help with not minding uneven ends, though, I think.

ArienEllariel
November 13th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Still in. I've just been S & Ding... my ends are uneven but I'm hoping it will grow out some more and turn into some nice fairytale ends. :) We'll see.

freckles
November 13th, 2011, 04:53 AM
still in :) I'm really looking forward to my January trim now, but I can definitely make it! :)

*Seraphina*
November 13th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I'm out since May. I had a small trim two times this year. Maybe next year I will join, my hair is much healthier now :) Good luck to everyone who are almost there. It would be nice if somebody share a picture after one year! :D

IanB
November 13th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Still hanging on in there!

LadyG
November 13th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Still in, great to see all the others that are still here.

Mountaingrrl
November 13th, 2011, 10:48 AM
It'll be seven months for me on Tuesday.

Lostsoule77
November 13th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Hi all! I last cut my hair on January 1, the day I joined LHC. Since then I've only been S&Ding. My ends have started getting a bit tangly, usually my queue to trim. Instead I've started using coconut oil on the ends a few days a week. I don't plan to trim again until this up coming January. I just wanted to see what would happen. I usually go this long without trimming, but not with the gentle care (no brushing, night braiding, wearing it mostly up, oiling) I've been giving it this year.

I'm planning on (probably) taking a trip to the GM salon in NYC and let them trim what they deem necessary. I used Feye's self trim method in January, but I don't think I did such a great job. I plan on doing microtrims next year though just to keep the splits at bay and allow my hem to thicken up.

For now though I've been in this challenge since the beginning, even though I wasn't in this thread, and plan to finish it out with you guys. :)

owlathena
November 13th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I seriously failed at this! (4 or 5 trims)

I'm not even going to try to not trim in 2012(then I'll just be thinking about it), I'm just going to try to trim less frequently.

Audhumla
November 13th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Still in :D We're so close guys ! I think this will be my first nye that I'll be celebrating my hair progress/no trims more than the new year :p

jaine
November 13th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Has anyone measured to see how much your hair has grown so far without trims?

My bangs grew 7 inches since January 1st ... but the last half inch is 5 or 6 scraggly racer hairs that I want to trim, so I'll say 6.5" instead.

vloucak
November 13th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Hi, my hair grow only 7 cm so it is about 2,8 inches since January ..... :confused: I was hoping for bigger hair grow .... but still now I have the longest hair I ever had so I am happy about it :cheese:

Becky9679
November 14th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I didn't measure in January but since my last cut (the start of November last year) it's grown just over 7 inches!

marsali
November 14th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Hi guys Im still in and so Im gonna share my results of no triming from January till now. Its about 7inches of lenght :cheese: yay :D Are you gonna continue next year? My ends are pretty good, so im not gonna trim them, how about you?

jaine
November 14th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hi guys Im still in and so Im gonna share my results of no triming from January till now. Its about 7inches of lenght :cheese: yay :D Are you gonna continue next year? My ends are pretty good, so im not gonna trim them, how about you?

I'm not sure yet...my usual policy is to trim as soon as my hair annoys me enough that I'm tempted to cut it myself in the bathroom. (my home haircuts always turn out badly and require more cutting in the end to fix it.) luckily my hair isn't annoying me that much yet. I definitely don't want to commit to "no trims in 2012" though...

Monkie
November 14th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I'm going to try to not trim in 2012. Perhaps this time I can actually succeed? I dropped out of this one pretty early on.

freckles
November 15th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I won't know exactly how much I grew this year because I don't have a January measurement! Awww ...

I am definitely not committing to no trims in 2012. :) I hope to start maintaining sometime next year!

Becky9679
November 15th, 2011, 05:28 AM

My ends are still in damn good shape too, the only real reason for me to have a trim would be to get rid of layers and get a blunt hemline. Sometimes I want to do that but most of the time I'm more concerned with gaining length. Maybe when I get to tailbone I'll trim back a few inches to thicken things up :D

jaine
November 16th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I'm sorry everyone ... I have a trim scheduled for Saturday.

I found myself with scissors in hand ready to cut my own hair, and that's not good ... a home haircutting disaster would be imminent if I don't get someone better qualified to do it for me, SOON. I want to look nice for the holidays.

Cirafly24
November 16th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I'll probably start maintaining next year...so I won't be committing to a "no trims in 2012" challenge. I'm going to finish out this year, though!

I stuck with a lot of things this year, pretty proud of myself. I've gained 4.75 inches of hair and lost 65 pounds. :D

ibleedlipstick
November 16th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I'll probably start maintaining next year...so I won't be committing to a "no trims in 2012" challenge. I'm going to finish out this year, though!

I stuck with a lot of things this year, pretty proud of myself. I've gained 4.75 inches of hair and lost 65 pounds. :D

That is amazing. Wow.

I haven't cut my hair at al this year! I am planning on having a trim after Christmas, just to even up my ends from my godawful layers (I have hair that stylists LOVE to put layers in. And stupid me, I'm always l like "if it will make me look prettier....")

I won't trim until after Christmas in 2012 as well. It works for me, and I'm not planning to maintain for a while.

jaine
November 19th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm bowing out because I just got a trim today to reduce tangling and get ready for the holidays.
Good luck everybody!
Here's my "net" growth for the year - the first picture was the day of my last trim in December 2010, and the 2nd one is after my trim today:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=92150&albumid=6736&dl=1293936310&thumb=1

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=119389&albumid=6736&dl=1321745541&thumb=1

wishywashy
November 19th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I'm still going strong! My last haircut was in Feb. 2011, 2 inch Pixie!!! I started growing after that cut, joined LHC in July 2011 with a 7" awkward-pixie-mullet thing going on. I am now at 9 1/4"! :cheese:

Still have the mullet, but my "top hair" reaches past my jawline and my 'bottom hair' is at the base of my neck! yeah! lol I could have a cute little bob if I cut the bottom hair off, but then I wouldn't be able to do a pony and would be tempted to straighten it. So I am sticking to the no trims for now. :cool:

Looking forward to Feb. 2012 to see a comparison of a year with no trim or cut.

McFearless
November 19th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Wow you all have come so far. Be proud of yourselves! Who is in for no trims on 2012?

Lize
November 20th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Wow you all have come so far. Be proud of yourselves! Who is in for no trims on 2012?

I was actually toying with the idea since I am out of this challenge, but I still have lots and lots of highlights to get rid of. Because of this I think I will stick to trimming twice a year (just 1/2 an inch or so each time) until I reach my goal of tailbone length.

*Seraphina*
November 20th, 2011, 04:32 AM

Me! My last trim was this month, I will try not to cut for one year now!

Zydrate
November 20th, 2011, 07:41 AM

Me! :D :cheese:

TheBluffs
November 21st, 2011, 07:34 PM
I'm in for the 2012 no trimming. :) I'm trimming back 0.5/ or 1 inch at the end of December, and that will be for last trim for the 2012 year! I also like my fairytales, so this is a great way to cultivate them.

Monkie
November 21st, 2011, 07:41 PM
I'm in for no trims in 2012. Maybe this time I can make it happen.

haibane
November 23rd, 2011, 06:27 PM
I'm still in, and I'll be in for 2012 too. This year has been great for learning how to prevent damage and avoid needing to trim. :)

dmarie63
November 23rd, 2011, 10:49 PM
I haven't trimmed since end of december 2010... but I think I'll be trimming for the new year... my layers still have a HUGE difference, and I think I want to close the length difference a little... then I'll do no other trims for 2012.

*Seraphina*
November 24th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Who will start a new topic for 2012? :D
I'm in!!

Sjirsten
November 24th, 2011, 01:07 AM
I'm in for one trim in 2012, planning to treat myself to a salon experience in January. After that, no more trims until 2013. I love the growth the 2011 challenge has given me.

ArienEllariel
November 24th, 2011, 10:03 AM
:cheese: Only one month to go people! Isn't that exciting? :cheese:

Monkie
November 24th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I'm only trimming my bangs next year. I have a wedding in Sept. (I am just the bridesmaid) and if I don't trim, I'll have at least 5 inches more by then.

freecelt
November 29th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Ok, I didn't officially join the challenge because I really didn't think I could do it. But I'd like to now :)
I personally committed to 8 months. Then before I knew it it'd been 9 months and now I'm at 11 definitely going for 12 and probably 14. 14 because I didn't have the heart to measure and keep track till 2 months after my last trip(12/31/10).

leslissocool
November 30th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I didn't trim!!!! YAY!!!

Honestly I doubted it, but I did it!

I don't know If I'm in for 2012 though, I want to trim either very little after the challenge and the trim regularly OR trim over 4 inches and then do it over again! I want to even out my hemline, but I don't want to lose that much length...

What to do, what to do...

KLin
November 30th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I am still here. Hair did not grow very fast, but had health and hormonal (bio-identical) issues for awhile.

Have been loving and careful with my hair and using kinder products. Have passed waist and will probably trim at New Years then grow some more :).

Lippytoes
December 1st, 2011, 03:18 AM
I've had some pretty nice growth (would post pics but have no access to them at the moment, sorry!) - my hair was a bit past BSL in January, and now it's around halfway between waist and hip! :cheese:

I think I'm going to keep on not trimming until I reach my goal length. Then I'll start maintaining the length.

-j-
December 1st, 2011, 03:51 AM
Iīm still here and I guess I will be in for 2012 also :)

My ends are getting a little dry, but S&D and oils will do. I donīt want to lose my fairytale ends anyway, so trimming is not an option.

I last trimmed/ cut in August 2009.

MissCoco
December 1st, 2011, 09:42 AM
Hey, I haven't posted here in a long time, but I'm still in! Bravo to all of us who have been able to hold! :thumbsup: I'm definitely going for a no-trim year for 2012! :D

curlycrown
December 3rd, 2011, 05:14 AM
I think that I have come a long way. When I first started this challenge in January I had just shaved my head bald. Now I have 5 inches of hair. I know by the end of the year I will have 6 inches of hair. Im ready for another year of no trims.

danceri110
December 20th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Congrats to everyone who's stuck with this; i'll be attempting again next year cause i fell off the wagon in june(: Happy growing everyone!

Cirafly24
December 20th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Looking forward to trimming a tiny bit in a couple weeks :). Even though I haven't trimmed at all this whole year, I only gained about 5 inches. That's less than I got in 2010, and I trimmed twice that year.

I probably won't be repeating this challenge. :o

leslissocool
December 20th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Almost there!

I am happy to say that I gained over 12 inches, going from waist to having my fairy tales at tailbone!!! :cheese: :disco:

I'll be posting pictures before I trim, I am wondering weather I should trim 6 inches and be in between or maintain at tailbone. I want most of my layers out.

(eta: my hair 3 inches longer than my siggy, where you can see that wavy it touches tailbone!)

JessiBird89
December 20th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Wow, a lot of people did so so well this year! Congrats on having self-restraint :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to getting tips off of you for the no trims 2012 challenge!

dili
December 20th, 2011, 06:53 PM
i did it this year, no trims...it growed from shoulder to bls curly, from apl to waist
2012 no trims too
till now didnt got any split end...i check but couldnt find.. but i got a funny hemline since i cuted my hair myself in a fury moment and its many inches longer one side then other and totally shapeless crazy, but i wont fix it till get big enought, and the curls help hide it a bit

TheBluffs
December 24th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Well, now that the 2012 thread has gone underway..
When are we suppose trim? :p
My progress: I started out with hip length when I joined here in January. Today, I am 1 inch past classic! :) I certainly grew much more when I started using the 'LHC recommended' tactics.

freckles
December 25th, 2011, 01:55 AM
We're nearly done! :D
In January I was an inch past waist, and now I'm at BCL-when-wet (just about, anyway). I'm definitely going to trim as soon as I get a chance in January, but I'm not sure how much I will trim, yet :)

coffinhert
December 25th, 2011, 02:12 AM
I didn't quite make it! I started in March and made it to October when my ends got too effed up so I cut about 1/2" off just the longest layer. I woulda been able to keep it up if my hair was virgin, but I had bleached it in March. I'm gonna go as long as I can again! That counts for something right. :P

skaempfer
December 25th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I'm still in, but feeling veeeeeeeeery shaggy! I will post a post-trim picture in the new year. I'm looking forward to it, and hope I can restrain myself!

kdaniels8811
December 25th, 2011, 10:40 AM
No trims for me in a year and a half, and none planned. Grow, hair, grow!

sanfen
December 30th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I don't know what's going on with the board but this is the fourth time I've tried to post. :-/

I'm still in. No trims since 1/9/11. I'll take pics and measurements on or about 1/9/12 and I'll post them.

Then I will trim about an inch - those fairy tale ends are driving me nuts (they don't flatter me)

I will then join the "no trims in 1012 club!" ;-)

freecelt
December 31st, 2011, 09:32 AM
It's official, 1 year with out trimming :D

Becky9679
December 31st, 2011, 09:50 AM
I've made it! No trims for me since the start of November 2010 and none planned either - I've already joined up for no trims in 2012 :D

haibane
December 31st, 2011, 10:14 AM
Still here! I measured today and I've gained 12-13cm (4.5-5") since december last year. I'll just keep going next year too.

leslissocool
December 31st, 2011, 10:28 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6166&pictureid=122372

I've made it!!! This is my hair now :cheese: I started at BSL, hit waist on may (with my curly hair, not straighten I also gave up heat).

Very proud!

Rocket22
December 31st, 2011, 04:01 PM
Looking forward to seeing everyones pictures!

I didn't make it completely. I had to do some baby trims, but I have to say this thread kept me from going to a salon (which they always cut way to much) and I did the trims myself.

eta: according to my 1/2" a month I should have been 2 1/2" longer by calculations. :) so guess I trimmed about that much off over the year. Or my hair didn't grow it's average?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6650&pictureid=122410

Lippytoes
January 1st, 2012, 05:13 AM
This was my length one year ago:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/darthsnoo/hair/uudenvuodenpipo112011757.jpg

And here's my current length (fuzzy pic taken today):

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/darthsnoo/hair/sortlater233.jpg

Okay, so my hair's probably even a bit longer than what it looks like in the second pic, because it's really wavy today (sleep braid waves, can't be helped). I'm really pleased with my growth this year! My hair is finally feeling long to me. I've pretty much gone from barely BSL to nearing hip-length! :cheese:

Congrats to everyone who's managed no trims in 2011! :)

PriscillaCherel
January 1st, 2012, 05:34 AM
Ooooh! You guys have amazing growths! Maybe i count me in for no trimming 2012 hehe!

Lize
January 1st, 2012, 06:04 AM
Congratulations to all who made it through the entire year!! :toast: :)

Varney
January 1st, 2012, 12:54 PM
I was very unsure at first that I would be able to go through with the challenge, but I did! I’ve gone from 58 cm (22.8 inches) to 75 cm (29.5 inches), 17 cm (6.7 inches) of growth!

This is how my hair looked in 1 January 2011 and now 2012 after a small trim today

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd341/Varney08/start2011.jpghttp://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd341/Varney08/r12012.jpg

marsali
January 1st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Hi there, these are my results :) its 7,5"(19cm) of gain grown :)http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9437&pictureid=122519

SpeakingEZ
January 1st, 2012, 09:52 PM
Great job, everyone! Amazing growths!!

I know I broke and had a trim 6 months in (and I had another later that I didn't tell you all about), but I'd like to say I'm at 31" now and feeling proud! I had to move away from DF for school, so no pictures until I can work my camera by myself!

Total growth in 2011: 4.75 inches!

I may or may not decide to join the 2012 challenge. . . . I still have a lot of damage in the front I need to take care of.

Mountaingrrl
January 1st, 2012, 10:36 PM
Congratulations, all!

I'm still in for 2012, as I started the no-trims challenge mid-April 2011. Your photos inspire me!

freckles
January 2nd, 2012, 03:30 AM
I made it, and I'll try to get pictures today :)

Oksana
January 2nd, 2012, 05:48 AM
Seeing these pictures has seriously motivated me to complete the 2012 challenge. Keep them coming! Fingers crossed i get such amazing results :D

freckles
January 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
A year ago ...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4804&pictureid=92297
Now ...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4804&pictureid=122616

Reasonably happy with the outcome :)

vloucak
January 2nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
Hi! And here is mine foto ... my hair is growing really sloooooowly, I have gained 4" (10 cm) of growth
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6940&pictureid=122629

sanfen
January 15th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I finally got to take a picture. I measured 20.5 on Jan 1st, 2011 and 26.5 on January 14, 2012.

I'm glad I stuck to it. :D I will trim the ends, maybe an inch or so - the hemline doesn't look good to me. Then I plan to not trim. I am toying with the idea of having an angle cut in front, probably in the Spring. I'll see how it goes.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/sandyfenton/Hair123110.jpghttp://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/sandyfenton/Hair11512-1.jpg

-j-
January 16th, 2012, 01:15 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6879&pictureid=91858]http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6879&pictureid=124243

I added here the picture from december 2010 and a brand new one, from 18.1.2012. The latter one shows better the length I gained during the year, because my hair in it is wet and straighter than when dry.
(I&#180;m sorry the first picture is so big!)

danceri110
February 21st, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hi everyone, I haven't had a trim since June of 2011 when I cut from Almost-Maybe-Waist to barely BSL and now I'm back at Can-I-Call-This-Waist? and I'm trying to grow to hip & beyond, while also growing out black dye. My ends *are* dry from previous flat iron damage but they haven't gotten worse and I kinda like the grip they give my ultra-slippery hair(:

So anyways, I'd love to join this challenge!