PDA

View Full Version : No trims in 2011 challenge!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

bunzfan
March 14th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Just wow raven waves i remember seeing your hair when it was my length, your hair seems to grow really fast do you have any tips for me:p do you do castor oil massages that's what i am doing for the last month and it appears to be helping.

TheKateland
March 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Maybe a little early for New Year's resolutions, but here we go!

I have decided to do a No trims in 2011 challenge. I am growing out old highlights and layers and that has made me trim a lot lately. Now I want some length and I will go one whole year with no trims. I have never succeeded in doing that before so this will be a real challenge for me.

I want to see how much my hair could grow if I left it for one year with no trims. Since my hair is highlighted (most of it) and layered I am sure it won't be very pretty, so I will need all the support I can get.

I will have one last trim in the end of December this year. I am planning to cut like 1/2 inch, and probably only dust the layers. I think I have to trim one last time, otherwise it will be too hard to go one year. I have also decided to start my challenge in January because it feels easier to do a "calendar year".

During this challenge I will allow myself to S&D. I will try to wear my hair up as much as I can to avoid damage.

I am thinking this thread would be a great place to get support and to post progress pictures.

Who is with me?? :D

PS. I know there's a No trimming club, but I wanted to start a thread for this specific challenge. DS.

Here's a link to the social group with pictures: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=229
Hello, I'm new to LHC. I think this would be a great challenge for me. I'm starting out pixie length (about 4") My goal is waist length! I haven't had any trims this year so far, so I think I can make it.

CarpeDM
March 14th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Ummmm :couch: is it possible to have like one mini trim this year without being banned?

ladydiane818
March 15th, 2011, 10:49 AM
This would work for me as well! It seems that the only way for me to really grow my hair out and see significant results, is to avoid the salon! It takes a long, long time for me to ever see split ends or damage, so trims are not needed as often as I used to think. I'm fairly sure that my last salon cut was in December, before I started my new job on 1/3. I'll see how long I can go!

firicia
March 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hey everyone hope you are doing well. I had to take a quick trip this past weekend and ended up needing to use to hotel shampoo and conditioner which I don't think my hair liked. I am starting to notice some split ends (looking for them for the first time in my life now being on this board as well as part of this challenge) and may need to do my first S&D, kind of nervous cause I have never done one, but if I do a little of this then I will last to my goal time with no "trims."

Are people here still doing s&d if their hair needs it?

akuamoonmaui
March 15th, 2011, 01:47 PM
S&D is within the rules! Ugh. Hotel products are the worst!

Cirafly24
March 15th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Yep, S&D is fine! I need to do another session...I've been trying to do it every 2 weeks or so to catch any splits before they travel up the strand.

Sheylenna
March 15th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Yep, S&D is fine! I need to do another session...I've been trying to do it every 2 weeks or so to catch any splits before they travel up the strand.

So what's the best way to S&D split ends?

And how often should it be done?

And is then are way to stop them from happening?

PrincessTieflin
March 15th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Im going to have to cave and trim. :( My ends are fried due to past bleaching coloring, and just general not taking care of it :(

Cirafly24
March 15th, 2011, 09:00 PM
So what's the best way to S&D split ends?

And how often should it be done?

And is then are way to stop them from happening?

I usually sit in front of my computer or TV with my hair loose, then take 1-2" sections one at a time and twist them. Usually the splits pop out so you can trim them. After I've examined the twist along the length (as far up as I can see), I check the ends for splits. I go through all my hair like this, it usually takes about an hour (I do it while I'm watching a movie or something), and I try to do it every 2 weeks, but it really ends up being more like once a month.

The best way I know to keep splits from happening is by wearing my hair up most of the time and using oil or Nightblooming's Panacea salve on the ends after washing. I haven't tried it yet, but a lot of people have success with catnip treatments. Use the search function to find more info on that :D

Sheylenna
March 15th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Thank you very much (just thanks was too short >^ . ^<

CurlyZ
March 16th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Hello Everyone!
I passed my 1 year no trim last week! :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:
Never thought I could do it for so long, but it worked.
I didn't S&D either. And for everyone who joined this challenge:
It's not easy - but if I could do it: ANYONE CAN!
What really helped me through that time:
PATIENCE, CONDITIONER and AVOIDING MIRRORS!
Due to old bleach sins I had bad breakage, splits, velcro ends - but also 6" of beautiful, healthy virgin hair.
So yesterday I went to a stylist and got my hair chopped of. I went from 28" to 22".
(My shortest layer is just a couple inches)
It's kinda really short now. Especially since I got back to layered hair.
But my curls are bouncier and softer than ever.
And my roots are not showing as bad anymore. They just blend perfectly in.

Can I join the no trim challenge right again?!?

Roscata
March 16th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Hello Everyone!
I passed my 1 year no trim last week! :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:
Never thought I could do it for so long, but it worked.
I didn't S&D either. And for everyone who joined this challenge:
It's not easy - but if I could do it: ANYONE CAN!
What really helped me through that time:
PATIENCE, CONDITIONER and AVOIDING MIRRORS!
Due to old bleach sins I had bad breakage, splits, velcro ends - but also 6" of beautiful, healthy virgin hair.
So yesterday I went to a stylist and got my hair chopped of. I went from 28" to 22".
(My shortest layer is just a couple inches)
It's kinda really short now. Especially since I got back to layered hair.
But my curls are bouncier and softer than ever.
And my roots are not showing as bad anymore. They just blend perfectly in.

Can I join the no trim challenge right again?!?

Awesome! I'm so glad to hear your hair feels better after the trim. :D

heidi.maryke
March 16th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Ok... sort of biting the bullet here and joining in! I'm only going to be going without trims until my hair reaches APL (hopefully in August), which is going to be so hard. I hate the look of my layers atm, but I will not give in to those scissor urges! In the meantime I will keep up my fringe trims and keeping my hair out of sight :)

Robbi Dehlinger
March 17th, 2011, 04:41 AM
I will admire anyone here who can stand NOT trimming their hair for up to a whole year. Me personally, I can't do it. I like my hemline to be blunt and healthy looking. There was a time when I thought I could tolerate having thin, fairytale ends but it simply wasn't for me.

Good luck to everyone here who is willing to do it!

hi Eric!

Good to see you agin, whatever you do, it is working...NICE HAIR:cheese:

turtlelover
March 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I think I am going to join this challenge, though I will keep trimming my bangs.....bangs are OK, right?

Ravenwaves 88
March 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I keep thinking about doing some hendigo to help stem my trim cravings. I've actually been thinking about it alot. I've been a straight henna head for over a year and I think a deep brown black would look very good and natural on me. Do you think this is a healthy way to NOT trim?

Varney
March 18th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Ravenwaves 88: Yes absolutely! Often when I feel a craving for a trim it disappears if I do something else (healthy) to change it instead - like a heavy oiling or henna/henndigo.

PorkChop
March 18th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I was planning on doing this challenge. But last week at the hairdressers my stylist said ill need to get it trimmed now and again, otherwise eventually it will go wispy at the ends and eventually stop growing. Is this true?
So i didnt get it cut this time, but she said next time i come i should get it trimmed...

heidi.maryke
March 18th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I was planning on doing this challenge. But last week at the hairdressers my stylist said ill need to get it trimmed now and again, otherwise eventually it will go wispy at the ends and eventually stop growing. Is this true?
So i didnt get it cut this time, but she said next time i come i should get it trimmed...
Cutting your ends has nothing to do with your scalp. Yours ends are essentially "dead" hair and cutting them doesnt stimulate growth. Sounds like your hd is desperate for business.

PorkChop
March 18th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I know this is what i thought. I mean i dont go that much anyway so i cant understand why she said it

CrisDee
March 18th, 2011, 08:20 AM
It's also pretty likely that this is what your HD has been taught - along the line of "trimming makes your hair grow faster" and other such silliness. I personally prefer a blunt hemline, so the only time I trim long hair is when my hemline is getting raggedy looking, which for me was only about once a year anyway. The challenge for me right now is to stop trimming to try to get rid of my layers - I just HATE how the shorter, chin length front keeps slipping out of updos, but they'll never stay in updos if I keep trimming! :D

Shell
March 18th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Welcome all of the new comers to the "No Trims in 2011" challenge! We have a social group that you are welcome to join.

S & D is legal, as are fringe/bang trims and henna/dying. I also think that if you really need to microtrim, you should, and then go on with the challenge. After all, this is all for the health of our hair, and for our happiness. If your ends are in really bad shape, they are not healthy and you are not happy. :(

To answer a few previous posts:

Stylists often want to trim your hair to "keep it in shape." Remember, a lot of people use heat and chemicals, so they get a lot of damage. Though trimming doesn't "make hair grow faster," it does keep the damage and breakage at bay, possibly making your hair seem to grow faster.

Also, for those of you doing S & D, make sure that you are using good sharp scissors. If you are seeing new splits right after trimming off old ones, you probably have dull scissors!

Happy growing everyone! :D

Rocket22
March 18th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I kinda caved in last night :( ... not too much though I just put my hair in a ponytail and trimmed the very tip of it, just took off the point, probably not more then 20 hairs and only a tiny tiny bit. But it's funny that tiny bit made it feel better so I'm still in (I hadn't trimmed since August) so that little bit will last me the rest of the year, I'm sure of it :)

firicia
March 18th, 2011, 10:15 AM
My fiance is so sweet. I found these great hair scissors that are pretty old but were great quality and he is going to try sharpen them for me for when I need to do a S&D. He's very supportive in me and my crazy hair routines I am coming up with... haha ok not crazy, but I never braided my hair before bed before. He actually helped me brain one side the other night :D

Anyways things are going well, I am really enjoying the idea of how "lazy" of a challenge this is cause I always used to put off going to a hair stylist.

Hope everyone is having an awesome day :)

akuamoonmaui
March 18th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I came on this thread to confess..... I trimmed. Just a bit, and nothing off the length. My sides were getting really raggedy, so I cleaned it up a bit to make sure it has better shape. I was excited to see (I think) the beginning of fairy tale ends!

So I will leave it up to you whether I should stay on this thread! My feelings won't be hurt if the consensus is no. This thread is for support and encouragement of the goal.

Rocket22
March 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I came on this thread to confess..... I trimmed. Just a bit, and nothing off the length. My sides were getting really raggedy, so I cleaned it up a bit to make sure it has better shape. I was excited to see (I think) the beginning of fairy tale ends!

So I will leave it up to you whether I should stay on this thread! My feelings won't be hurt if the consensus is no. This thread is for support and encouragement of the goal.

Hey I don't think that counts.. I'm calling my little cave in a S&D it was so minimal it shouldn't count as a trim, as yours shouldn't :)

Cirafly24
March 18th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I'm feeling really good about my hair :) I'm wearing it down today for the second time in 2 months...and I don't feel like trimming at all!

Last night, I stood in front of my fiance with my hands at classic length and asked him how far I have to go. He said 4 inches! That's only 8 months :D

SarahBeth
March 18th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Ok, so I'm in tears because I just feel like cutting my hair so bad. I don't mean trim a little off. I mean I want to cut it off, like a pixie. I just hate my hair soo bad right now. I need some support to keep on going. The only thing keeping me going right now is this challenge, because I hate starting something and not finishing it.

CrisDee
March 18th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Ok, so I'm in tears because I just feel like cutting my hair so bad. I don't mean trim a little off. I mean I want to cut it off, like a pixie. I just hate my hair soo bad right now. I need some support to keep on going. The only thing keeping me going right now is this challenge, because I hate starting something and not finishing it.

SarahBeth, in my own experience (which may not be yours!), when I've had the urge to cut off all my hair, it hasn't been about hair at all. There's been something else in my life that I've wanted to "cut off" over which I have felt powerless, so I've taken out the urge on my hair. Any chance you could have the same problem? If so, definitely be good to yourself, and don't do anything that's going to make you feel even worse (like I did!). :grouphug:

SarahBeth
March 18th, 2011, 06:01 PM
SarahBeth, in my own experience (which may not be yours!), when I've had the urge to cut off all my hair, it hasn't been about hair at all. There's been something else in my life that I've wanted to "cut off" over which I have felt powerless, so I've taken out the urge on my hair. Any chance you could have the same problem? If so, definitely be good to yourself, and don't do anything that's going to make you feel even worse (like I did!). :grouphug:
CrisDee, This is just what I needed to hear.I think you're right about there being other issues. I'll have to really think on this some more. And yes, I don't want to take it out on my hair and then regret it later. Thanks for the hugs. Much appreciated!

akuamoonmaui
March 18th, 2011, 06:40 PM
SaraBeth, don't cut it. I know just what you're talking about and cutting your hair will only perpetuate your frustration, because now your hair is not the way you want it as well. Cutting is a symbol, not a solution. I ended cutting off the source of my angst and frustration and things are infinitely better, and my hair has never been longer.

Cut your hair because you want the style and it makes you feel beautiful. :flower:

CrisDee
March 19th, 2011, 07:51 AM
CrisDee, This is just what I needed to hear.I think you're right about there being other issues. I'll have to really think on this some more. And yes, I don't want to take it out on my hair and then regret it later. Thanks for the hugs. Much appreciated!

So glad I could help! The least I can do is serve as a warning to others! :D

Ravenwaves 88
March 20th, 2011, 08:26 PM
just bought some indigo so I'll be doing hendigo soon. I also think I'll be trimming so I guess that drops me out. I keep thinking about it and today I saw what my ends looked like with sun shining through. They looked terrible. I'll be taking off an inch at first and then more if needed. I will also be all one length which I've been wanting, and I'll still be at upper hip which is acceptable. I want my hair to feel nice even if it doesn't last long. I've gone just over a year w/o trims and I feel good about it, but I'm in it for the journey and i'm not in a rush anymore. I wish you all strength to finish out this challenge.

Monkie
March 20th, 2011, 09:27 PM
:lala::lala::lala::lala:
I will not trim my hair. I will not trim my hair. I will not trim my hair.

GrowingGlory
March 20th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Honey Wash with Miracle Water rinse has made my hair so nice that I don't want to cut it anymore.

McFearless
March 20th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I keep thinking about doing some hendigo to help stem my trim cravings. I've actually been thinking about it alot. I've been a straight henna head for over a year and I think a deep brown black would look very good and natural on me. Do you think this is a healthy way to NOT trim?

I LOVE your red hair but whatever makes you happy is best. Dark brown will look beautiful too. I don't think you need to trim your ends look just fine in my opinion.

skydancer7
March 20th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Ooooh ok I am finally in. Had to think about it for a while. I think my last trim was in January. I will go until Jan 2012! By then my hair SHOULD be past BSL, finally or maybe mid-back if I am extra good with the vitamins and castor oil :)
Wish me luck!

Lize
March 20th, 2011, 10:32 PM
:lala::lala::lala::lala:
I will not trim my hair. I will not trim my hair. I will not trim my hair.

Me neither! There seems to be quite a few people in this thread deciding to trim already. Who is still with us?? :) I have had some trimming thoughts lately but I have not acted on it. Keeping busy in general seems to be good for me.

Monkie
March 20th, 2011, 10:44 PM
My hair hits shoulder in an inch or so. I need to power through it! Shoulder! It hasn't been past shoulder in years.

JamieLeigh
March 21st, 2011, 01:06 AM
I'm in. I trimmed last in early December, and I was waiting until today (spring equinox) to trim, which would be nearly 4 months. Surprisingly, I have a fairly nice hemline going on, so I changed my trim date to summer solstice.

I think I might go all year long, just to see where it ends up in December. :D

Current length March 21, 2011: 47" or fingertip.

vloucak
March 21st, 2011, 01:32 AM
I´m still in :p. Right now I am not happy with my hair. Because every winter I have big hair loss .... and this year it is really awful, actually I am really thinking about going to doctor :( but I can see that I have a lot new hair, it is sticking out of any hairstyle .... but my ponytail is really tiny :( and my ends have much hair splits and dots ... urgh .... but I will not cut my hair!!! I will wait and see what will happen after year and than I do health cut and will be praying that my hair will be still long :applause because right now I have the longest hair I ever had and it is wonderful feeling (even if I dont like how my ends look ...) I am wearing bun every day

freckles
March 21st, 2011, 04:08 AM
I'm still in! I got my good hair scissors back today, so gonna make time for a thorough S&D, and maybe a deep condition. The meet the other day made me feel I have very short hair! :lol: So, onwards and upwards!

ETA: in a few days it will be 5 months no-trim. It's flown by! Just over 9 months to to, if I want to make the full year. That means I'm over a third of the way through. I *think* I can do it!

-j-
March 21st, 2011, 04:08 AM

Well, that´s just what I did 2 years ago. Life was miserable and I cut my hair. Not going to do that again, ever.

No trims in 2011 is going well for me :) I´ve found some splits but not too much.

kaned_ferret
March 21st, 2011, 04:26 AM
can it count that I'm allowed to keep trimming my fringe? I haven't had a hair cut since the beginning of september 2010 and have gone from a pixie to 70's jackie chan hair in that time :) But I have to keep my fringe, it's my security from my fivehead :)

PorkChop
March 21st, 2011, 07:19 AM
Im still very serious about completing this challenge, just wondering however how likely it will be that the ends of the hair will get very scraggy and wispy?

Theobroma
March 21st, 2011, 10:32 AM
I'm still in. Haven't trimmed since late Jan or early Feb last year, and my ends are still in good shape! Not planning to trim until I'm at solid hip, and I don't stand a chance of getting there before the end of the year anyway.

Nessarose
March 21st, 2011, 10:58 AM
I like this! I am already only trimming my own hair and haven't in the past three or four months. Once I am able to view these links, I will try to post in it.

paleogirl
March 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
Still going strong, but it is tough. I am in a wedding in May so that has helped me not to cut it. I want to be able to do an updo. But my shortest layer is just below chin length. I want to chop it all off to the chin but I keep telling myself no. After May will be harder but I want to go the distance. The end of December I might even everything. Ugh though. It is tough. Good luck all.

Sooze
March 21st, 2011, 11:52 AM
Who is still with us??

Me :D Last trim was beginning of October. Not feeling the urge so far.... ;) Am starting to get some fairy knots, but just snip them off when I find one. That doesn't count :bounce:

georgia_peach
March 21st, 2011, 12:27 PM
:thumbsup:

Just offering everyone in this challenge a big thumbs up of encouragement. And here is a: Hang in there!
Jump back on the wagon! and Good job! Pick whichever of those you might be needing at the moment.

I'm growing through this pixie, straight through the mullet phase and on down to waist or further. I figure with lots of tender care and no heat or chemicals, AND the support of you on this thread, I should be just fine without any trims.

SarahBeth
March 21st, 2011, 02:17 PM
I'm still in. The urge to cut has subsided. I want to apologize for being such a downer. Here we are, all working dang hard to reach a goal, and I'm crabbing. Sorry.
We can all do it. Thanks so much for all the comforting words and support on this thread! Because of this, no scissors have touched my hair yet. Looking forward to seeing all the "before" and "after" pictures. By the way, I measure in at 23", up from 20.5" on Nov 6, 2010, my last trim.

Varney
March 21st, 2011, 02:59 PM
I'm still in. I'm a very stubborn person so when I say I'm going to do something I will! That's why this thread is so great. If it's official I have to keep my promise :)

For those of you who think about quitting the challenge and cutting your hair: why not invoke the "two week rule"? Think about it for two weeks and most of the time your urge has probably faded by then. If not - well then you know your making the right decision!

CarpeDM
March 22nd, 2011, 08:19 AM
I'm in. I trimmed last in early December, and I was waiting until today (spring equinox) to trim, which would be nearly 4 months. Surprisingly, I have a fairly nice hemline going on, so I changed my trim date to summer solstice.

I think I might go all year long, just to see where it ends up in December. :D

Current length March 21, 2011: 47" or fingertip.

ME TOO! :) (Well, except for all that long length at the end)

jaine
March 22nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
I haven't felt any urge to get a haircut yet. Kudos to my hairstylist for giving me a haircut that's growing out gracefully.
It doesn't "feel" much longer yet but it measures 2 inches longer and I can see my hair is becoming more bell-shaped instead of oval-shaped...that's good! More hair!

paleogirl
March 23rd, 2011, 06:59 AM
My urge to cut has diminished a little. This weekend my hubby will be gone out of town. I am going to do an avocado, egg, honey treatment. This has helped the urge. :)

lillylonghair
March 23rd, 2011, 07:52 AM
I'm still in. I'm a very stubborn person so when I say I'm going to do something I will! That's why this thread is so great. If it's official I have to keep my promise :)

For those of you who think about quitting the challenge and cutting your hair: why not invoke the "two week rule"? Think about it for two weeks and most of the time your urge has probably faded by then. If not - well then you know your making the right decision!

This does work!!!!!!A month or so back I was so sick and frustrated over growing out my hair color that I was really close to just chopping it all off. I gave myself 2 weeks and boy am I glad I did!

Nae
March 23rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
I am still with you!!! No compulsion to trim yet. The closest I come is when I inspect my remaining layers in the mirror and then roll my eyes and bun the whole mess. I am not looking!!!!

I last trim was in October so I am going on 5 months and the ends still look good. Hang in there everybody!

wvgemini
March 23rd, 2011, 08:38 AM
Hey, I'll join in! I'm already doing a no measure till June (dang that one is hard!) so I;ll tackle no trims in 2011 as well :cheese:

My last proper trim was mid-December and I really haven't had the urge to do more than S&D. Even that I've only done twice.

Sooo ... here I go!

Quahatundightu
March 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
If anyone has the urge to trim I definitely recommend doing a dusting (like 1 -2mm, very tiny amount)
For me it counts as not trimming because I actually cut off less than I would doing S&D! But my ends feel better :)

MissCoco
March 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM
I'm still in! No urge whatsoever to cut. I was a bit past APL when I joined, and now I'm 1" away from BSL! :D Hang on tight everyone!!

MaiCarInMtl
March 23rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
Alright, I'm in! I want to make this the year of growth and I don't think I will actually be going to the salon to trim. I will be doing S&D though. I may at some point do a micro-trim on myself but I'm not sure to be honest. I'll try to hold off on the trims/cuts for 2011. I really want to get to 30".

SouthernBelleUS
March 23rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
I'm in too!~ :) This should be interesting. Hiding all scissors so I am not tempted.... This will be hard because I love a blunt hem.... But think of the length I'll gain! Just have to treat the hair like delicate old lace. I even took my earrings and necklaces off so they don't snag the hair & break it off! CO only twice a week. We'll see what happens.... My hair is extremely delicate....

SarahBeth
March 23rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
Ok, so I don't know if someone else has already mentioned this idea, but let's talk rewards. It dawned on me today that this challenge is, well, a challenge. It is for me at least. So in addition to the reward of having (hopefully) longer, stronger, more awesome hair, I'd like to reward myself with something truly worthy of completing this challenge succsessfully. Maybe a nice new hair toy, a pair of bone or wood combs (we need fine and wide-toothed, right?), a fork, etc. Whatever floats your boat! Now, I know what you're thinking. All these things cost money. Trust me, I'm one of the most frugal (DH says cheapest) people out there. But I've been doing the math and with over 9 months left in this challenge, there's plenty of time to stash away a little. Think of all the money we're saving by not going to salon for haircuts! Anyway, just a thought. Just add this to the list of motivations to get thru the hard days. (you know the ones when you hate everything about your hair and feel like you can't go on) I wish everyone happy growing and continued success!:blossom:

paleogirl
March 24th, 2011, 07:40 AM
SarahBeth:

I love the idea of a reward! and you are so right about saving money not going somewhere to get it trimmed/cut. And there are several things I want to get but haven't yet. I found on another thread quecraft mentioned. They have really cool horn hair sticks etc.

I have noticed that I can't wear sunglassses bc my hair snags and breaks. Which sucks, but oh well - sunglasses out. Can someone give me info on S&D - like what are white dots. I know what split ends look like but not sure about white dots. How far from the split/white dot do I need to cut? Thx.

Dina L.
March 24th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Can someone give me info on S&D - like what are white dots. I know what split ends look like but not sure about white dots. How far from the split/white dot do I need to cut? Thx.
White dots are to become split ends, but I've never seen those on my hair.
I cut my hair 2-3mm above the splitting.

bte
March 24th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Congratulations on getting this far.

Today marks 201 months since my last trim (June 1994), so if I can do that, I'm sure you can all do 12 months!

firicia
March 24th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Today marks 201 months since my last trim (June 1994), so if I can do that, I'm sure you can all do 12 months!

OMG! That is awesome! :D

ladypurple
March 24th, 2011, 09:06 AM
A little late, but I'm in! I haven't cut my hair since... November/December. And to help me along I'm going to reward myself if I can reach a milestone by the end of this year. My ultimate aim is waist length, but now I'm at APL so if I can reach BSL by the end of this year I will get myself a couple of forks as a reward :D

GrowingGlory
March 24th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Closing in on five months since my last haircut. Now I think I can make it through the year.

ilovejimmy
March 24th, 2011, 09:36 AM
as of right now count me in im growing out damage highlights and trying to regrow the hair that broke so close to the crown ive so many trims i look like themom from the brady bunch soooo yes count me in!!!! do we share our progress every few months or we just write in when we want to share our progress? either way im super excited about this never have done anything like this
b4

ilovejimmy
March 24th, 2011, 09:45 AM
by the way i absolutly love fair tale ends i cant wait to have some i think they rock!!!!!

Shield31
March 24th, 2011, 09:58 AM
So far in 2011 I have not trimmed. I am not planning to trim and will resist the urge to do so even if I see a need to do so. I last trimmed (4 inches + or -) at a salon last June so it's almost been a year anyway. DW and I are taking a September cruise to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary so the temptation to trim near then will be great. Maybe some S&D will be undertaken, but I'll do my best to stay with the no trim pledge.

ashlayne
March 24th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I'm still in!! Did a little S&D a couple of days ago, but not nearly as much as I thought I'd need! :D I've also started doing coconut oil hair treatments once a week for about a month now, and I'm *really* loving the results so far!! :D:D:D

bte
March 24th, 2011, 02:31 PM
OMG! That is awesome! :D
Thanks, much appreciated!

firicia
March 24th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Question... I can't get to most of my hair to do S&D, only some pieces in the front. A big part of this is my curls, but it's not like I can look for splits when it's wet and longer so my question is; if I am growing out a lot of split ends and can't see them, will I just lose all of that length and maybe more to the split going up the hair shaft? Of course I mean this because I am not getting trims.

Wish I could get to more of my hair :hmm:

p.s. S&D is still allowed is it not? I tried my first one 2 days ago, but nearly went crossed eyes trying to see the hairs cause my hair isn't quite long enough

vintersaga
March 25th, 2011, 09:06 AM
firicia, if your hair is as long as in your avatar, I think you can do S&D :) If the picture shows your current length, my hair is shorter than yours and with a lot of layers, and if I can do it, I am sure you can too. I can't do S&D as I used to when my hair was longer, by sitting down and taking small strands at a time, but it is long enough that I can check for splits or other damages on the hairs in the mirror. This is what I do: I take small strands each time and checking them in the mirror of the bathroom and then snipping them off. :) I can't check all the hairs in the back yet, but it's working pretty good I think :flower:

Tigermama
March 25th, 2011, 09:08 AM
OH man. I regretfully drop out of the challenge! I trimmed. I realized it may be quite a while until I am truly ready for this. It came time for my quarterly trim and I s&d'd for days. Then I gave up and micro trimmed the whole thing. I needed it. In two years the damage will be gone and I will be back for no trims. at least I did it myself and it is completely undetectable! Just slathered glycerine, shea butter and vatika mix on the length. Good growing everyone, peace out!

PorkChop
March 25th, 2011, 09:44 AM
What is S&D ??

freckles
March 25th, 2011, 09:45 AM
What is S&D ??

'S&D' is 'search and destroy' -- looking for split ends, and snipping them off a single hair at a time, without cutting any undamaged hairs.

Roscata
March 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Today I feel the strongest urge to just chop off all my layers which would put me at around chin length (from APL where I am now). I hate the layers I hate the color I just all together hate my hair right now.
I think I'm just going to order some Lush and color it brown again because I can't think of anything other than that or a big chop that would make me happy right now. And I just don't want to lose a year and a half to two years of growth.

CurlyZ
March 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Today I feel the strongest urge to just chop off all my layers which would put me at around chin length (from APL where I am now). I hate the layers I hate the color I just all together hate my hair right now.
I think I'm just going to order some Lush and color it brown again because I can't think of anything other than that or a big chop that would make me happy right now. And I just don't want to lose a year and a half to two years of growth.

I just looked through your album and kinda don't get why you are so unhappy?!? :confused:
I would kill for your hair! :D
Please don't do anything you might regret!
If you can't think of anything that would make you happy again, here some suggestions:
long hot bath, huuuge ice cream with a lot of whipped cream, champagne, shopping spree....or maybe just :puppykisses: :flower: :grouphug: ?????

Roscata
March 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I just looked through your album and kinda don't get why you are so unhappy?!? :confused:
If you can't think of anything that would make you happy again, here some suggestions:
long hot bath, huuuge ice cream with a lot of whipped cream, champagne, shopping spree....or maybe just :puppykisses: :flower: :grouphug: ?????

Aww thank you! :o I'm really flattered that you think my hair looks good.

Also thank you for the hugs and everything. :grouphug:

I really appreciate it. :) :D

GrowingGlory
March 25th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Thinking about cutting back to shoulder, collarbone, or even shorter. Seeing more and more damage and almost ready to throw in the towel and begin again. Two weeks to think about it because I'm undecided.

Cirafly24
March 25th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I feel the urge to trim today. I just did a 4+ hour S&D session last week, and I already see a ton of splits in my ponytail :( I use a very sharp pair of hair scissors, so I don't think I crushed the hairs...but I don't know how I could have missed this many!

heidi.maryke
March 26th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Cut my fringe! Feel so much better :)

McFearless
March 27th, 2011, 09:00 PM

I agree with Curly Z! Roscata your hair is stunning. Leave it alone!! I also love the colour.

Shell
March 27th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Me neither! There seems to be quite a few people in this thread deciding to trim already. Who is still with us?? :) I have had some trimming thoughts lately but I have not acted on it. Keeping busy in general seems to be good for me.

I'm still here! One quarter of 2011 accomplished. :) Yay us!

Shell
March 27th, 2011, 09:41 PM
can it count that I'm allowed to keep trimming my fringe? I haven't had a hair cut since the beginning of september 2010 and have gone from a pixie to 70's jackie chan hair in that time :) But I have to keep my fringe, it's my security from my fivehead :)

Fringe doesn't count--you can trim that!

Monkie
March 27th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Only 9 months left! Trying to grow a hairbaby!

paleogirl
March 28th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Somedays I have it easy with no thoughts of chopping my hair. Somedays are harder. Today is a good day.

I did get a compliment today. Man, did it feel good. A nice woman in my office said, "Julie your hair grows faster than anyone I know." She used to be a hair stylist. I was excited because I look at it and I don't think it has grown at all.

I think I might make it until December. Yay!

Nusia82
March 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Hi girls i'm new here and i think i need a little support right now.... I cut my hair last time on august and right now i hate my hair so much!just like Roscata i just want to chop off all my layers wich will make my hair upper shoulder
layers were nice with very short hair bur know i just ca't wear my hair down!
do u think that they will look better growing or it's better to cut off all layers ebefore start growing?:confused:

Dina L.
March 28th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Hi girls i'm new here and i think i need a little support right now.... I cut my hair last time on august and right now i hate my hair so much!just like Roscata i just want to chop off all my layers wich will make my hair upper shoulder
do u think that they will look better growing or it's better to cut off all layers ebefore start growing?:confused:
Don't cut! If your avatar shows your actual length, I think your in THAT phase. There's a length, that looks very lousy, and you just have to get over it. I cut my hair about 4 times when I got to that length. Though it took only 3-4 months to get over it. Now I'm almost at BSL and even though I also hate my layers from a haircut in October, the length is more important!
Hold on and delete your hairdresser's number and hide the scissors! :)

telegraph64
March 28th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hello, may I join the club? :)
For a personal challenge, I vow to not take scissors to my hair until the end of 2011, apart from an s&d mission, and/or bang trims. My ends are thick and even, and I have nothing to complain about at this point in time, and I believe a trim-free year will be easy to achieve.

Taika
March 28th, 2011, 09:53 AM
ok. I did it... I went to my hairdressers, she cut my bangs and did not touch my lenght, she did not think it was necessary. Did I allready mention that I love her??? :)

skaempfer
March 28th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Only 9 months left! Trying to grow a hairbaby!

Hairbaby! I love it! Do I get to give mine a name? A hairbaby shower next December (i.e., buying your hair a hairtoy) might be just the perk some of us need to hang in there. So far so good, though. No urges to trim.

bunzfan
March 28th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I thought about cutting my hair for the first time at the weekend as my ends are starting to look really wispy when i put it in a braid, my hair actually felt really thin but once i used a lighter conditioner the body came back i have fine strands but a lot of hair (i have strange hair neither thin or thick)

Anyone else finding their ends are starting to thin out already? of course it doesn't help that i'm growing out layers to.

Rocket22
March 28th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Yeah my ends were (are) totally thinning out, but I did an umm a s&d two weeks ago :) (just took off point) and that really will get me through the rest of the year
for those of you wanting to chop it will pass.. I feel like this lots too!!! and not because I want short hair but because I get so frustrated with my baby fine hair that has so much bleach damage, but we will all get through it, will just take some time and patience

bunzfan
March 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Yeah my ends were (are) totally thinning out, but I did an umm a s&d two weeks ago :) (just took off point) and that really will get me through the rest of the year
for those of you wanting to chop it will pass.. I feel like this lots too!!! and not because I want short hair but because I get so frustrated with my baby fine hair that has so much bleach damage, but we will all get through it, will just take some time and patience

Thank you thats just what i needed to hear, i have fine hair but alot of it if that makes sense and since i started using castor oil it has thickened up a lot :)

akuamoonmaui
March 28th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I had inspiration yesterday. I was at a store and there was a girl (late teen-early 20's) with TBL hair and fairy tail ends! They started at about BSL, and made gentle waves to TB. My hair has her texture so it was a little mental mana from heaven!

Kathie
March 28th, 2011, 01:58 PM
We’re a few months in but I would also like to try to not trim for a year.

I’ve been trimming away at my hair because 9 inches or so use to be bleached blond and I felt that I needed to get rid of it. I just went to the hairdresser last week and got 1.5 inches taken off. The layers I had are now completely gone and my hem line is very blunt and thick. I’ve had my hair layered for so long that the blunt hemline look is a little foreign to me, and well, I don’t like it. Also my one year anniversary is coming up and I’ve only gained 3 inches meaning that I’ve trimmed at least another 3 away this year.

So I think not trimming sounds good to me- hopefully the hemline won’t look so blunt and I’ll gain some length.

georgia_peach
March 28th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Hairbaby! I love it! Do I get to give mine a name? A hairbaby shower next December (i.e., buying your hair a hairtoy) might be just the perk some of us need to hang in there. So far so good, though. No urges to trim.

LOVE THIS. I'm in for the hairbaby, and especially for planning my own little hairbaby shower. Ok, so maybe "hairbaby" sounds a little creepy :o, but I totally got stoked thinking about rewarding myself (and my hair) with a little celebration come December. So count me in! We'll have to share babyshower pics in about 9 months.

MrsGuther
March 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
It's almost April 2011, and I haven't gotten a trim/haircut since July 2010. Yay!!!

firefly42
March 28th, 2011, 04:53 PM
it's almost april! i swear this is the longest i've gone without cutting my hair in....ages....and i just hit BSL! hurray!

Messyhair
March 28th, 2011, 04:57 PM
The shape of mine is driving me nuts, but thankfully I don't see the shape from the back daily, so I just get a monthly reminder with my progress photos. It's fresh in my mind with my latest photo just being taken a few days back, so I think it will get better as time goes on. Until the next photo.

Monkie
March 28th, 2011, 06:34 PM
LOVE THIS. I'm in for the hairbaby, and especially for planning my own little hairbaby shower. Ok, so maybe "hairbaby" sounds a little creepy :o, but I totally got stoked thinking about rewarding myself (and my hair) with a little celebration come December. So count me in! We'll have to share babyshower pics in about 9 months.

Yes! I am totally going to have a little hairbaby shower for myself, gather my friends around me for a hairbaby naming ceremony, we can play games and eat cakes and have a whole pinata made out of hair toys. . .

Monkie
March 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
It's almost April 2011, and I haven't gotten a trim/haircut since July 2010. Yay!!!

wow, your length is great!

dollface
March 28th, 2011, 09:16 PM
woah, i'm hopping on this a little late but i would like to join ^^ i recently committed seriously to growing my hair long and this is is a great place to visit!

firicia
March 28th, 2011, 10:43 PM
firicia, if your hair is as long as in your avatar, I think you can do S&D :) If the picture shows your current length, my hair is shorter than yours and with a lot of layers, and if I can do it, I am sure you can too. I can't do S&D as I used to when my hair was longer, by sitting down and taking small strands at a time, but it is long enough that I can check for splits or other damages on the hairs in the mirror. This is what I do: I take small strands each time and checking them in the mirror of the bathroom and then snipping them off. :) I can't check all the hairs in the back yet, but it's working pretty good I think :flower:

The mirror, of course, what a great idea thanks :D Plus I guess if some of the back I can't quite get to it won't be too long until I can:D

Nusia82
March 29th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Don't cut! If your avatar shows your actual length, I think your in THAT phase. There's a length, that looks very lousy, and you just have to get over it. I cut my hair about 4 times when I got to that length. Though it took only 3-4 months to get over it. Now I'm almost at BSL and even though I also hate my layers from a haircut in October, the length is more important!
Hold on and delete your hairdresser's number and hide the scissors! :)

unfortunately my hair is shorter than the avatar :( ( i use that pic to motivate myself to not cut!!!)
maybe u're right i just have to hide all the scissor in the house!!! :rolleyes:

Lize
March 29th, 2011, 10:48 PM

I have done this several times. Cut off my layers and started from shorter. I STILL end up hating my hair at a certain length and cutting new layers into it again. This time I just decided to keep my layers when I grow and cut them out part by part in the process. So my vote is to try to stand it, cause it might look better when it gets longer. My hair does look better now that it has passed my most awkward length. Now it's somewhere between APL and BSL. Don't leave the challenge! :)

ArienEllariel
March 29th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I took a good look at my ends today. Ugh, I could see where they would benifit from a trim. The thing is, I have old damage from pre-LHC up half my hair. I have perfectly healthy nice hair to a little past shoulder length where the uneven broken gross looking hair starts (mind you I do S & D so I don't have many splits.. it's just all the hairs are different lengths and it shows). I do not want to trim but oh, it's so hard when you see a clear line of demarkation where all your hair would look oh so nice if it was cut. I mean a big chop. But at the same time I love the length I'm at and it's taken me soooo long to get here!

Words of encouragement please! I want to stick this out until the end of the year!

nantang
March 29th, 2011, 11:32 PM
well, it's more like no trims till 2017 for me haha but sure, I'm in xD.

freckles
March 30th, 2011, 03:00 AM
I took a good look at my ends today. Ugh, I could see where they would benifit from a trim. The thing is, I have old damage from pre-LHC up half my hair. I have perfectly healthy nice hair to a little past shoulder length where the uneven broken gross looking hair starts (mind you I do S & D so I don't have many splits.. it's just all the hairs are different lengths and it shows). I do not want to trim but oh, it's so hard when you see a clear line of demarkation where all your hair would look oh so nice if it was cut. I mean a big chop. But at the same time I love the length I'm at and it's taken me soooo long to get here!

Words of encouragement please! I want to stick this out until the end of the year!

Can you think of your damaged hair as like, a 'buffer zone'? That is -- if you chop now, and want to trim next year, you'll be trimming away lovely healthy hair. If you don't chop, you're saving that hair for future evening-up trims, like some kind of very odd gift-of-pain-free trimming to yourself :D

Also ... hair will always be all different lengths. Even perfectly healthy hair. That's a Fact of Hair. It may be more pronounced currently in your hair than it will be in the future, but if you want to enjoy long hair, then uneven hair lengths is something you will have to learn to love or at least tolerate. Maybe you can consider this practice?

Do you wear it up? That would show off shiny new healthy hair on your scalp, and hide away the less-healthy bits in a bun.

So those are all just some mental tricks that might convince you, not necessarily advice :p I hope maybe some of them work :) I'm going through a tough stage wanting to trim (for me its split ends -- but I ALWAYS have split ends, so trimming won't necessarily fix anything) so I empathise :)

georgia_peach
March 30th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Yes! I am totally going to have a little hairbaby shower for myself, gather my friends around me for a hairbaby naming ceremony, we can play games and eat cakes and have a whole pinata made out of hair toys. . .

Oh, the pinata is very cool! We may need to start a hairbaby shower thread closer to our due dates. Ha!

Fufu
March 30th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Woo hoo, i am nearing one year of no trim to hair......

I'm visiting hair salon next week for hair colouring only, no hair trimming for the entire year.

SpeakingEZ
March 30th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I think this is my first update since the challenge started!

Doing good! I should take a picture soon, my length has taken on a couple beautiful inches. It's now SOLID BSL. Since trimming was a habit I developed on LHC, it wasn't a hard one to break. The damage in the front is getting really annoying, but I keep reminding myself of the "buffer zone" logic. If I trim this off, the inch above it is going to get damaged because I won't be able to put everything in a bun, and if I cut off ALL the damage (could never) the trims next year would be off'ing healthy hair.

I haven't been wearing my hair up at all but I haven't really been going anywhere, either. I only leave the house once a week other than to go to the corner store.

DF used my hair scissors on something sticky so I can't S+D. Need to get another pair soon so I can tidy up.

curlycrown
March 30th, 2011, 08:20 AM
No trims since I shaved my head and I currently have 2" of hair. This challenge is a piece of cake!

soni92
March 30th, 2011, 02:53 PM
This is gonna be difficult but I'm in! Currently SL, and my goal is to reach APL hopefully before 2012!! Just gotta keep going!

GrowingGlory
March 30th, 2011, 06:15 PM
My hair seems so dry and I discover new damage every day. I don't know why. I feel really discouraged. It seems impossible to grow my hair out to its terminal length and have healthy hair when I get there. I'm tempted at times to cut it back to collarbone or chin, or to shave it. It would be good to find no damage when I run my hands through my hair.

But I've been growing it out for a few years and I am not eager to go through every awkward phase between bald and my current length again. For now, I'm just using my current shampoo and conditioner and brushing just enough to benefit my hair, but not enough to damage it. I'm also stretching washes as much as possible.

I don't understand where the damage is coming from. I don't heat style, don't use harsh products, and use hair safe tools. I treat my hair gently, yet it is falling apart from the ends when it grows past collarbone. I really think that the products that I tried really damaged my hair and it just keeps splitting and breaking.

Yet I am still on the fence about dropping out of the challenge and getting a haircut. I think that it really needs a radical cut in order to get rid of all of the damage. I don't want to go to an inexpensive stylist who is phoning it in for this cut. I don't want to drop an exhorbitant amount of money, either. What to do?

There was one stylist at an inexpensive salon who really gave me a great precision cut and it didn't cost me very much. I'm tempted to make an appointment with her and ask her to cut off most of the damaged length. I might be left with a bob that is chin length at most. That would set me back about two years, growth wise. But I would be relieved of all of this damaged hair before it travels up to my scalp.

My hair is actually breaking near my scalp right now. It's so dry that even when it is saturated with sebum it feels very dry. Every day I see new split ends, despite the way that I care for it. I'm tired of that. It might be nice to make a fresh start when the weather gets a little bit warmer and it makes sense to walk around without much hair on my head.

I just don't want to make a rash decision about losing so much length. It has taken almost three years (and my hair would be nearly waist length if I hadn't decided to cut it on the way to terminal length) to reach this length and I don't want to throw that out the window until I'm certain that this is the course of action that is best for me right now.

It just doesn't seem to make sense to cling to the length anymore when it is in such terrible condition now. I don't understand why it is getting dryer and more damaged as I learn to care for it better instead of healthier and more supple. Sigh.

Any advice?

ashlayne
March 30th, 2011, 10:23 PM
This might sound weird, but what is your diet like? Mine had similar problems until I altered my diet. I pretty much still eat whatever I want, but I make myself have vegetables for at least one meal, I've cut out almost all of the fast food, and I usually eat dry cereal and dried-fruit trail mix with granola for breakfast or when I'm craving something sweet. In addition to losing weight, it's helped my hair start growing healthier. I also use about a teaspoon of coconut oil on my hair about once a week (my hair length is that weird place between BSL and WL right now \o/, so it doesn't take much for most lengths of hair).

Anyway, I'm coming up on three months of conscious no-trims, and close to a year without a trim because I just didn't need it. :D:D:D I also came up with a new updo on the fly I wanted to share with you ladies! ;)

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fDrXo31LaZInRGkczxpOjg?feat=directlink

All I did to do that was braid my hair from the nape of my neck, then fold it up and tuck the ends under at the crown of my head. Then, I just took those stretchy hair combs you see and popped them over the ends! Ta-da!! Pretty hairstyle that took 5 minutes!! :D I'm betting that if I actually sat down and brushed my hair out beforehand it would look neater... >.>

ashlayne
March 30th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Blah...

This may work where the last link doesn't. (Btw, does anyone know how to edit the original posts?? I can't find an edit option. :()

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_8FwJ5RNbxgg/TZQBP_EmPCI/AAAAAAAAA6s/L64v_cigSsk/s512/2011-03-30&#37;2023.08.09_Bowling%20Green_Kentucky_US.jpg

ArienEllariel
March 30th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Can you think of your damaged hair as like, a 'buffer zone'? That is -- if you chop now, and want to trim next year, you'll be trimming away lovely healthy hair. If you don't chop, you're saving that hair for future evening-up trims, like some kind of very odd gift-of-pain-free trimming to yourself :D

Also ... hair will always be all different lengths. Even perfectly healthy hair. That's a Fact of Hair. It may be more pronounced currently in your hair than it will be in the future, but if you want to enjoy long hair, then uneven hair lengths is something you will have to learn to love or at least tolerate. Maybe you can consider this practice?

Do you wear it up? That would show off shiny new healthy hair on your scalp, and hide away the less-healthy bits in a bun.

So those are all just some mental tricks that might convince you, not necessarily advice :p I hope maybe some of them work :) I'm going through a tough stage wanting to trim (for me its split ends -- but I ALWAYS have split ends, so trimming won't necessarily fix anything) so I empathise :)

Very good points. I didn't think about that. Thanks! I'll stick it out. I'm wearing my hair up mostly anyways so I only have to see the uneven bits when it's down drying.

Dina L.
March 31st, 2011, 03:38 AM
GrowingGlory: Have you tried oils? Many LHC-ers just love coconut oil on their length as it made their hair more moisturized and soft and shiny. You can also try olive oil, grapeseed oil or any other cold processed oil. Give yourself some time to experiment these oil and see, how your hair reacts. Don't expect result after the first application, it might take longer for the effect to become sensible and visible! I use castor oil and olive oil mix on my scalp, and it made a huge difference for me! (Castor oil also helps the hair to grow faster (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265).) Go and try out some new things!
I hope I could help! :flowers:

ETA: Oh, and do you drink enough water? At least 6-8 cups a day?

bunzfan
March 31st, 2011, 09:47 AM
I was just wondering how do i update my pics for the no trim challenge group?

GrowingGlory
March 31st, 2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I do eat fresh organic produce, drink water and organic coconut milk, and oil my hair frequently.

I made a few poor product choices and now I'm sorely tempted to cut back so that I can enjoy healthy hair. I have been thinking about making a new start for a while. Since I am still on the fence, I am not cutting yet. Thanks again, everyone.

bunzfan
April 1st, 2011, 08:27 AM
Just think ladies we are already in April so, we have already gone four months without trimming! and so far i haven't had one split end yay

Topaz
April 1st, 2011, 08:58 AM
I did trim my hair on the full moon in Leo, but that's all the trimming I plan on doing in 2011. I plan on not measuring either for the remainder of the year and hope for a nice surprise next January 1st. :)

deko
April 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
I will try.

I would like to have waist long hair (so so much) and if I don't trim at all I may have it this year. I may have to do a little S&D but no trims and not even dustings this year.

Coloring is pure henna/other herbs and I do catnip rinses and use oils and keep my hair up most of the time so I hope my ends will stay healthy.

KLin
April 1st, 2011, 12:01 PM
Wow, it is April already. I have not trimmed since Dec and have only gained one inch in length. From 31" - 32".

I oil with jojoba, CO with cone free condish., wear my hair up in a twisted bun and spin pins, or braids most of the time, and use a wide tooth comb or tangle teezer.

I have not been to karate class since the third week of Jan because I broke my foot after vacation. So no elastics or sparing headgear wear and tear.

I was so hoping for more growth in 3 months. I have done a couple S&D sessions when I noticed a few splits, but that is all. Should I be frustrated?

GrowingGlory
April 1st, 2011, 01:50 PM
S&C'd my hair today, then BBB'd it when it dried. It looks and feels pretty good. Since I'm on the fence, I'm not getting it cut. Yet.
It seems to be growing in leaps and bounds and its color looks rich and it feels soft. The Desert Essence products really seem to be hiding the damage well. So right now, I don't see the wisdom in spending $5 to get to the salon to spend $20 on removing it all from my head.
But that's just today...
It has been five months since I had a hair cut and since my hair grows very evenly and is still in reasonably good shape, I'm just going to leave it alone this month.

jaine
April 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM
Wow, it is April already. I have not trimmed since Dec and have only gained one inch in length. From 31" - 32".

I oil with jojoba, CO with cone free condish., wear my hair up in a twisted bun and spin pins, or braids most of the time, and use a wide tooth comb or tangle teezer.

I have not been to karate class since the third week of Jan because I broke my foot after vacation. So no elastics or sparing headgear wear and tear.

I was so hoping for more growth in 3 months. I have done a couple S&D sessions when I noticed a few splits, but that is all. Should I be frustrated?

I don't think it's anything to worry about...growth could be slower for seasonal reasons or it could be differences in measuring technique because of the small time frame.

Messyhair
April 1st, 2011, 06:20 PM
My hair is crawling along and only seems to be gaining length in the back, making a v-shape. Sigh. Sooo tempted to trim, but just trying to ignore it and keep my hair nicely conditioned. Just keep thinking, "2 inches until BSL, 2 inches until BSL..." :o

Rocket22
April 1st, 2011, 07:20 PM
My hair is crawling along and only seems to be gaining length in the back, making a v-shape. Sigh. Sooo tempted to trim, but just trying to ignore it and keep my hair nicely conditioned. Just keep thinking, "2 inches until BSL, 2 inches until BSL..." :o

I know how you feel my sides just don't wanna do much either... but hang in there you're not alone :)

ooo
April 1st, 2011, 07:55 PM
One fourth done. I feel a little bit like celebrating. At least on the inside.

MoonLover
April 1st, 2011, 08:48 PM
I didn't measure or take pictures until mid-March when I joined the forum and I got a haircut early in January but plan on not trimming until next January, can I join this challenge?

jaine
April 1st, 2011, 11:48 PM
I didn't measure or take pictures until mid-March when I joined the forum and I got a haircut early in January but plan on not trimming until next January, can I join this challenge?

Please do...the more the merrier!
I plan to get annual trims for a while so my trimming schedule is going to have some overlap like that too...unless I get a haircut right at midnight on new year's eve which isn't really practical :p

SpeakingEZ
April 2nd, 2011, 11:54 AM
GrowingGlory, after about 2 weeks of using it, I found out my BBB was causing damage to my hair rather than preventing it! My hair felt nice and soft after the brushing, but my hair started feeling rougher and rougher in between. I think it was snagging the existing damage.

I remember reading a thread here long ago that advised BBB for healthy hair but warned away from it for those of us with damaged hair.

I'm sure it's not the only reason that you're experiencing such trouble, but it's something to consider if you can't find the cause.

Curly_jas
April 3rd, 2011, 03:17 AM
Progress update: My hair seems to be coming along okay, the end's do seem like they need a little trim, but that might be cause it is the last bit of heat/chemical damage I need to cut off (I'm growing it out). Gained quite a lot of length so far and it is getting it's thickness back :) Hope everyone else is hanging in there!

freckles
April 3rd, 2011, 05:05 AM
urge to cut ... rising! I clarified on Friday, and as well as making my babyhairs very fly-away, it's made the last inch or two of my hair feel more obviously dry, and made my split ends (of which there are many) more visible. PLUS -- I'm agonising over whether to cut chin-length strands at the front to soften my updos. I've really wanted them a looong time but I take too long to decide anything. Either way, I can feel my resolve to not cut wavering.

BUT -- I'm gonna sit myself down in front of the TV and do some S&D, and tomorrow heavily oil and CO wash, and hopefully these feelings will pass for a little bit.

Synthemesc
April 3rd, 2011, 05:26 AM
Haven't trimmed since July last year, so think giving this challenge a bash could be a good idea.

bunzfan
April 3rd, 2011, 07:41 AM
It feels as my hair has stopped growing i have been at lower BSL since January someone give me some words of encouragement, i'm wondering if a micro trim would help.

SarahBeth
April 3rd, 2011, 08:33 AM
It feels as my hair has stopped growing i have been at lower BSL since January someone give me some words of encouragement, i'm wondering if a micro trim would help.
Don't worry over much, you're probably just having a stall. My hair does this. It seems to stop growing for a while and then all of the sudden will get a spurt and seem to make up for lost time. If you feel the need to micro trim because of damage, that may be a different story. But, I'd think twice before trimming if there is no damage. Happy growing!

elbow chic
April 3rd, 2011, 08:37 AM
My last trim was over a year ago, (Jan '10, two weeks after my son was born. It has taken me FOREVER to remember when, exactly, my last trim was, but I remember telling the hairdresser not to thin my hair because I'd just had a baby and some of the poofiness would abate with a good postpartum shed.)

But, anyway, my ends really do not look bad at all, which actually surprises me. Not a split in sight!

I suppose it looks like it could use some evening-up but I aspire to grow FTEs. :cool:

I'll S & D if I find a split, but other than that: NO TRIMS IN 2011!

MoonLover
April 3rd, 2011, 09:15 AM
Please do...the more the merrier!
I plan to get annual trims for a while so my trimming schedule is going to have some overlap like that too...unless I get a haircut right at midnight on new year's eve which isn't really practical :p

LoL jaine- I can just imagine it- "Hurry and kiss me! I need to trim before this minute is over!"

Monkie
April 3rd, 2011, 07:54 PM
April will be gone before we know it!

lillylonghair
April 3rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
I decided I'm going to go a bit longer than a year on this challange. My DH is deploying in July so I am just going to get my hair cut right before he gets back next year! He's super ecited to see how long my hair gets.

bunzfan
April 4th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Don't worry over much, you're probably just having a stall. My hair does this. It seems to stop growing for a while and then all of the sudden will get a spurt and seem to make up for lost time. If you feel the need to micro trim because of damage, that may be a different story. But, I'd think twice before trimming if there is no damage. Happy growing!

Thanks SarahBeth no there no damage at all just maybe a little dry on my ends i think wearing it up all the time helps a lot. It may not be growing very fast right now but since i started using castor oil on my scalp my hair is twice as thick:)

MonaLisa
April 4th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Summer is comming and it's when hair grows faster. Also try not watch how much it possibly grew too often, and one day you will be surprised!
I don't think you need mictotrim, your hair looks super healthy:cool:
It's impossible for healthy hair to stop growing at this point, so just keep positive thoughts and enjoy it.

Scarlet_Tear
April 4th, 2011, 05:58 AM
i'm with you :) i've no trimmed my hair since march 2010 and i don't think i'll do this year :p

bunzfan
April 4th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Summer is comming and it's when hair grows faster. Also try not watch how much it possibly grew too often, and one day you will be surprised!
I don't think you need mictotrim, your hair looks super healthy:cool:
It's impossible for healthy hair to stop growing at this point, so just keep positive thoughts and enjoy it.

Oh thank you :D i try to look after it i'm so glad it looks healthy to others.

I was thinking its stopped growing so fast as when i joined LHC last year my hair grow so much but that was in the summer so you could be right :ponder:

paleogirl
April 4th, 2011, 06:16 AM
So I did castor oil and EVOO this weekend. I COed twice and it still isn't out of my hair all the way. Oh well. Pony day. Is there a better way to updo hair besides ponytail to prevent damage. My shortest layer is about 1 inch below my chin. Thx.

My urge to cut has passed. I think it was the certain length that I had. I do have to say that my layers are growing out horribly. Some quicker than others. I feel like I have a mullet. but if my hair is up I don't see it. :)

My damage feels a lot better with the oil so that is a positive.

bunzfan
April 4th, 2011, 06:19 AM
[QUOTE=paleogirl;1545774]So I did castor oil and EVOO this weekend. I COed twice and it still isn't out of my hair all the way. Oh well. Pony day. Is there a better way to updo hair besides ponytail to prevent damage. My shortest layer is about 1 inch below my chin. Thx.

My urge to cut has passed. I think it was the certain length that I had. I do have to say that my layers are growing out horribly. Some quicker than others. I feel like I have a mullet. but if my hair is up I don't see it. :)

My damage feels a lot better with the oil so that is a positive.[/QUOTE=

Just a tip i have found to CO castor oil i have to put the conditioner on first of all while in the shower so its on your hair for a good 10 mins and then it gets totally out off your hair.

Can you braid your hair yet? the french braid is a great one especially when your growing your hair and great for layers also:)

lillylonghair
April 4th, 2011, 08:45 AM
My last trim was over a year ago, (Jan '10, two weeks after my son was born. It has taken me FOREVER to remember when, exactly, my last trim was, but I remember telling the hairdresser not to thin my hair because I'd just had a baby and some of the poofiness would abate with a good postpartum shed.)

But, anyway, my ends really do not look bad at all, which actually surprises me. Not a split in sight!

I suppose it looks like it could use some evening-up but I aspire to grow FTEs. :cool:

I'll S & D if I find a split, but other than that: NO TRIMS IN 2011!

Aaaahh! The last haircut I got the lady had her thinning shears and was this close to thinning my hair before I said something. She wasn't even going to ask me!!!!!!!!!:mad: She said ''well you have ALOT of hair. I'd assumed you'd want it thinned''. My hair gets super frizzy and tangly when it's thinned. No thanks!

elbow chic
April 4th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Aaaahh! The last haircut I got the lady had her thinning shears and was this close to thinning my hair before I said something. She wasn't even going to ask me!!!!!!!!!:mad: She said ''well you have ALOT of hair. I'd assumed you'd want it thinned''. My hair gets super frizzy and tangly when it's thinned. No thanks!

Oh, man, she definitely should have asked first.

I sort of like the look of mine thinned but on the other hand, I'm like, hm, deliberately thinning your hair is kind of like throwing your excess cash in the burn pile, or playing with your food.

"Starving children in Somalia would love to have that hair!" :p

lillylonghair
April 4th, 2011, 12:53 PM
elbow chic- Hahaha!!! Yeah,that's a good point. My hairdresser that I used to go to before I moved would just point cut into my hair just so it layed nicer and had movement which I loved.

jaine
April 7th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Ahhhh...after a little more than 3 months without a trim, my ends are no longer feeling blunt and I love it! I'm not a fan of blunt ends on my layers...they get too flippy and cowlicky with blunt ends even if it was cut on a high elevation. It's not fairytale ends yet but at least it's laying nicely.

paleogirl
April 7th, 2011, 09:18 AM
So I had a dream last night that I had to trim my hair. (why I had to trim I don't know, but there was no choice) The funny part of it is all I had was really dull scissors that bent my hair and gave it splits.

Paladin
April 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Hmmm... I have a question that I suppose pertains to this thread.

As I mentioned in another thread, I buzzed my hair off in November because I realized it was getting very thin and wanted to throw everything (including Minox) at it to turn it around. I gave it one final buzz all the way down to a 1 on December 31st to start my new long hair endeavor with the New Year and started on my all-out hair regimen. My hair has made an unbelievable turnaround and will look amazing once it gets long again so I can't wait!!

So my trim-related question is, since I'm growing it straight out from a complete buzz, will I end up with a Mullet as I approach the awkward stage if I don't trim the back of my neck area? :cheese: :eyebrows:

I've already got a nice little "duck-tail" going and it's getting a little out of control back there... haha.

georgia_peach
April 7th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Paladin, You might get something sort of mullet-ish as you grow. I had quite the buzz cut going except for a slightly longer section of hair right at the crown and bang area (see my photo album cover pic). I've got a hint of a mullet, but it's not nearly as bad as I expected. I'm sticking with the no trims, because I really want fairytale ends. But you can always grow and trim later if it gets unbearable. ;)

Paladin
April 7th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Haha yeah I want the same thing, full-blown fairytale ends right from the get go, hence my desire to not trim. If I get a mullet during the awkward stage, oh well. It'll be kinda funny actually. :cool:

I'll be sure to cherish the comments my coworkers make!

owlathena
April 7th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I messed up on "no trims in 2011." I'm still going a year without trims, but now its "no trims until february 2012." Thats close enough...

jaine
April 7th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I'm contemplating whether or not I want to stop trimming completely for a few years. I really like the soft tapered tips of uncut hairs, and I like having a hemline that isn't blunt. I like fairytale ends. I don't have them yet, but I think I would like to.

LotusFIre
April 7th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I messed up on "no trims in 2011." I'm still going a year without trims, but now its "no trims until february 2012." Thats close enough...

Me too..I trimmed my hair in Feb too. I just had bangs cut and a little trimmed around my face. I am not trimming any more for a LONG TIME tho...

Cirafly24
April 7th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I did a bit of S&D last night, because I had been seeing a TON of splits. I didn't go through it with a fine toothed comb (lol) but I probably snipped upwards of 100 splits. I know that I missed a lot, too. I'm going to try catnip treatments to (hopefully) cut down on the splitting!

I'm still holding strong to my No-trims challenge. Most of the splits weren't even in my hemline, but further up in my layers...so a trim wouldn't really help much anyway.

Signe
April 8th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Right, that's it, I'm joining! I have become enamoured with s&d and every time I have been trimmed in the last year it has made me want to cry, cost money, and set me back 6 months. No more!

Last trim was mid-November 2010...let's see me at goal by 2012!
:cheese:

-j-
April 8th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I have trouble taking pictures of my length, because it tends to be curly after washes and the fairytale ends make it even harder. It is difficult to notice growing from the pictures because the degree of curls is always different.

I don´t like to take pictures of dirty hair, but then it is straighter... Ah. What problems :rolleyes:

Dina L.
April 8th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I have trouble taking pictures of my length, because it tends to be curly after washes and the fairytale ends make it even harder. It is difficult to notice growing from the pictures because the degree of curls is always different.

I don´t like to take pictures of dirty hair, but then it is straighter... Ah. What problems :rolleyes:
Also a curly here! Put on a stripy t-shirt to take those photos, it makes a lot of easier to compare the length. And yes, dirty hair also helps... :rolleyes:

-j-
April 8th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Also a curly here! Put on a stripy t-shirt to take those photos, it makes a lot of easier to compare the length. And yes, dirty hair also helps... :rolleyes:

I don&#180;t have a stripy t-shirt...

Anyway, it is not so much about the stripy shirt, but the hair might seem really long, say in March, when I get them straight enough. But then in April they might be curlier and only get more angled if I wet them, and in the picture they seem shorter than the previous month.

One solution might be be to take the picture when hair is completely wet, after washing. But it looks better when dry...

Lippytoes
April 8th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I haven't trimmed since August 2009, just been S&D'ing ever since my hair got long enough to do it. :)

I figured it was finally time to join this thread, since I don't think I need to start trimming anytime soon. I get split ends, sure, but they're not too bad, and a good S&D session works wonders! And anyway, I really want pretty fairytale ends (already getting there, just a bit - see my length photo on my profile page). So here's to a trim-less 2011 and lots of growth! :ale:

SarahBeth
April 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Bad hair day. I'm still trying to find a routine that works for me and allows me to love my hair. I'm all- natural hair care. Meaning I have not used any commercial products (shampoo, conditioner, gel, mousse, hairspray, what have you) on my hair since July 26, 2010.Also no heat styling. Almost 9 months. I've used herbs, eggs, vinegar, water only, pretty much anything natural that could possibly have an application for hair. My hair seems to respond well to this approach. I haven't trimmed or S&D since Nov 2010 and I don't have any splits. It must be said however that I tend to have fairly hardy hair. I've never been really prone to damage. Currently I'm using soapnuts. I like them, although I'm still playing around with ratios.

That being said, I'm still having a bad hair day. Not that my hair is misbehaving really. I just don't like it today.:undecided Oh well, I suppose there are days when that will just be the case, no matter what I do with it. I had days when I hated my hair for no apparent reason before I changed to natural hair care. So it makes sense that these days will always be a part of life. A good day to forget about it and daydream about my hip length hair that is soon to be a reality. Onward with the no trim challenge!

paleogirl
April 13th, 2011, 06:04 AM
I need to do my first S&D. Is there a certain type of scissors you all recommend? I have to go buy some to use just for my hair since my ones at home are not sharp and have been used for trimming flowers cutting plastic etc. Not good.

haibane
April 13th, 2011, 06:35 AM
I don´t have a stripy t-shirt...

Anyway, it is not so much about the stripy shirt, but the hair might seem really long, say in March, when I get them straight enough. But then in April they might be curlier and only get more angled if I wet them, and in the picture they seem shorter than the previous month.

One solution might be be to take the picture when hair is completely wet, after washing. But it looks better when dry...
I'd say just keep taking pictures, I don't think it even matters so much when or how, just do it every month or every few months. You're starting out quite short, with a quite long goal length, so you have many years to grow. You might not notice consistent growth looking at pictures month to month, or even over several months, but year by year or over several years you're sure to notice huge changes and a lot of growth, and it will be fun to have all the pictures to look back on. :)

Cirafly24
April 13th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I need to do my first S&D. Is there a certain type of scissors you all recommend? I have to go buy some to use just for my hair since my ones at home are not sharp and have been used for trimming flowers cutting plastic etc. Not good.

Definitely scissors made for cutting hair. I use Tweezerman Stainless 2000 Styling Shears.

Lize
April 15th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I am still in the challenge. :)

Mountaingrrl
April 15th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I'm joining 14 weeks late, if that's okay!

Lize
April 15th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I'm joining 14 weeks late, if that's okay!

Of course! You are very welcome! :)

wahmof9
April 15th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I am still in the challenge - 4 months and that is the longest for me. But I am itching to cut even though I have no splits...just a tad dry

Nae
April 16th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Well, it has been about 6 months without a trim for me! Holding strong over here. My ends seem dry today so I think I will oil them and put my hair back up. I think I will henna tonight! YAY!! That always makes me feel better about my hair.

misslicorice
April 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I've been growing out a bad haircut since November, and I think I can finally say I'm at APL now! I'm so tempted to trim, though.
My hemline has a lovely chewed-off-by-a-rat look because the stylist shredded my hair with the scissors in some technique similar to razoring. D: When I hold out a chunk of my hair, every strand is a different length and points in a different direction, giving a "pinecone" effect. Ugh! Why would anyone voluntarily have this done to his/her head?!
By the end of the year, it will have grown enough that I can get the pinecones trimmed off without losing too much length! Then I can do something with my hair that doesn't involve hiding it in an updo. :P

jaine
April 16th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I am still in the challenge. :)

Me too ... still going strong.

My bangs have grown 2.25" inches since the beginning of the year ... a little more than 1/2" per month, in the winter. I'm very happy with that since I expected less than 1/2" per month in the winter!

Scissors haven't touched my hair at all yet, not even for S&D ... I don't see any splits. But my hair is relatively short so it probably hasn't been around long enough to get damaged.

Kwongdzu
April 16th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm a newbie coming in late too! Last haircut was early March, and I'm tired of saying "Just a trim please, trying to grow it out" and having any length I've gained chopped off.

I've tried to grow before, but with cuts along the way, so I'd like to give this challenge a try and get a lot of length and go from there. (Also keeping a picture log per some member suggestions!)

Muse
April 16th, 2011, 01:29 PM
For now I don't want to trim until at least September. If at that time my ends still look reasonable, I won't cut until 2012.

jaine
April 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I wonder how long it takes for ends to look wispy after we stop trimming...does anyone know?
My ends are still quite chunky but I'm hoping to have more wispy ends on my layers someday so they blend in better.

akuamoonmaui
April 16th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Mine are starting to wisp. So 3-4 mos +/-.

CurlAhead
April 16th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I have sinned.... I cut it to even it up (it was about 3 inches difference on the right side compared to the left side of the hair). If I'm still allowed to be a member in this "club", I would love to. Have promised myself (and my mom, lol) not to cut ANYTHING for at least 6 months. :o

akuamoonmaui
April 16th, 2011, 05:58 PM
OMGoodness! You can't be running around with lop-sided hair! I say you're forgiven. :magic:
~~ ~~ ~~
I was going to wait until the beginning of May to measure but I can tell my hair is getting longer so I had to measure 'cause curiosity was getting to me. When I pull my hair straight, I'm at 29" !!! :happydance: I'm sooo close to reaching my beginning goal! I think by my birthday I'll be there (June). Oh no, did I just say beginning goal? Could this mean I may have to re-evaluate once I get there?...

wahmof9
April 16th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Measured today 29 3/4 inches....so close to my first goal. But that was stretched....sigh

MiamiPineapple
April 16th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I am in 100%. I wouldn't cut my hair if you paid me after what the hairdresser did in december...:mad:

Catladyintown
April 16th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Hello everyone I would like to join in. I promised my self never to cut my hair or never to do S&D for life.:) Just learn how to treat my hair like pure Gold.

Monkie
April 17th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Two weeks until May begins, haven't trimmed yet. Lets see some warm weather growth!

Nae
April 17th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Two weeks until May begins, haven't trimmed yet. Lets see some warm weather growth!

Yes! I can't wait to see some summer growth!

silkheart
April 17th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I'd like to join in, but eventually I'll have to get the end of my hair trimmed since the ends are old dyed hair, and my mom didn't cut it straight in the first place when I had it cut to shoulder length almost a year ago. Haha but maybe I'll wait til the end of the year to get it trimmed :P I dunno, we'll see.

dreamsofthewind
April 17th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I got my last trim in February, and already my ends are disgustingly damaged. It's the remnants of blonde that I had years ago. I would like so badly to be able to go a year without trims, but for me it is just not realistic.
I will be getting a trim some time in the next few weeks. Hopefully I can go at least three months between trims now that the blonde is gone.

Lize
April 18th, 2011, 02:15 AM

Absolutely! I can't wait. :D Maybe it has already started. :) Unfortunately I see that I also have started to have my annual springtime shed. I seem to always shed a lot in the spring. I don't know why. Does anyone else shed more hair in springtime?

louisemg82
April 18th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I also haven't trimmed this year so I'm nearly halfway there! I'm in!

jaine
April 18th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Absolutely! I can't wait. :D Maybe it has already started. :) Unfortunately I see that I also have started to have my annual springtime shed. I seem to always shed a lot in the spring. I don't know why. Does anyone else shed more hair in springtime?

I shed a lot last fall but I haven't paid enough attention to my hair to know if it was seasonal or a one-time thing. I haven't been shedding much this spring though...

Kathie
April 18th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Well I’m a month in. I know, a very small milestone. But, this month will hopefully be one of many :D

SarahBeth
April 18th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Almost May, the year is flying by. I've been doing CO washing the last few days and my hair seems to really like it. This is good because I was really starting to hate my hair, but now I feel we can be friends again.

PorkChop
April 19th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Still in :) almost a quarter of the year done now people

Fufu
April 19th, 2011, 10:26 AM
10 more days to go to mark 1 year anniversary since April 3010. WOo Hoo.

LadyG
April 19th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Well, I haven't had my hair cut since March of last year. I have fairytale ends now. Whenever I start to feel I should get my ends trimmed, I come on here and lose the urge. 9 more months to go! I'm planning on a one inch trim in January next year before I start to grow to hip.

CurlAhead
April 19th, 2011, 11:26 AM
OMGoodness! You can't be running around with lop-sided hair! I say you're forgiven. :magic:

:cheer:
Thank you! :D:D

Lize
April 19th, 2011, 02:22 PM
10 more days to go to mark 1 year anniversary since April 3010. WOo Hoo.

Do you have any starting picture and picture of how much your hair has grown you might wanna post here for inspiration? :D

leslissocool
April 19th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Oh God I have dreams about trimming my hair! Last night it was so real, I woke up feeling like I did had a cut!

I am still on the challenge, my hair is starting to taper. I thought it wasn't going to bug me, but now it is bugging me. I am worried about split ends and lots of other stuff and I am having a hard time staying positive!

I need to remember if I suck it up now, I will be able to cut the damage and still be at waist (maybe hip?) which is what I want. I want to cut 4-6 inches and even out my hemline without being at BSL afterwards... So the positive outweighs the negative! I might just henna again even if I don't need it, do a gloss so I feel like my hair looks good...

How are you girls doing?

Rocket22
April 19th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I'm doing horrible today :) I wanna trim sooo bad.. was just a bad hair day so hopefully tomorrow it will be better. I can say I'm looking forward to a nice thick hemline. If that is even possible with my hair

jaine
April 19th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I admit I had my first hint of a trimming thought today too. I wouldn't call it a trimming "urge" yet though ... it was just a passing thought. There is a small amount of resistance from my hair when I'm finger-combing, now that the ends are slowly becoming less blunt. SO I had a thought "trimming would fix that." I don't plan to act on it of course. Shape issues are the real temptation for me and I'm blissfully ignorant of those since I'm not taking pictures of my hair

lillylonghair
April 19th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I don't know whats wrong with me. I never get the urge to just trim but I do get the urge to cut it all off! What the heck. Usually I just play around with one of those virtual makeovers and the urge goes away.:o

Lize
April 20th, 2011, 02:21 AM
I'm doing okay. Fighting with some splits and white dots. Getting lots more tangles than I'm used to. Trying to S&D as much as possible. It's difficult because my length is highlighted and has lots of damage from that.

BUT took a progress picture yesterday and it has really grown if I compare to the starting picture I took in January. So that was motivating! :) Also looking at my virgin roots is motivating.

-j-
April 20th, 2011, 02:49 AM
I am luckily so busy in life that I have little time to think about my hair. So there hasn´t been any urge to trim.

Lize
April 22nd, 2011, 02:21 AM
I am luckily so busy in life that I have little time to think about my hair. So there hasn´t been any urge to trim.

A bit of the same situation for me right now, but I am quitting my job in the end of May. Maybe there will be a bigger challenge after that. It's really true what you say. The more time I have on my hands the more I'm thinking about changing my hair or cutting it.

SarahBeth
April 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
I've been CO washing for about 10 days and love it. Sauve doesn't work for me, but VO5 is great. Also got a new Goody Gelous Grip Ionic brush. These 2 changes have made me love my hair again. Really helps with my ever-present frizz issue.

I have noticed some growth. My hair actually got caught in my armpit the other day.TMI I know, but still, YEAH!:cheer:That is a sure sign it's getting longer. I vowed not to measure until July 1st, so I'm not sure how much growth. But by body markers, I can tell.

Still no trimming or S&D for me. Hoping the CO washing will keep things healthy enough to avoid these until January 2012.

Let's keep growing together, this is a great thread!!!

dinnee
April 22nd, 2011, 10:50 AM
I gave in and had a 1" trim... :( My ends were so bad, broken and dry.. But they are all happy now. To bad I cut off all my growth from the start of this year..

This thread is really valuable in suppressing the urge to trim, so next time I feel the urge I will go for a deep oil treatment and some true love and care... Also, I need to cut back on the S&D because it's thinning my ends so much...

CurlAhead
April 22nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
I...want...to...cut...MORE! MUST STAY STRONG!!! :D
Urrghh, don't know what to do with my hair at the moment, so I am just sitting here with nasty, greasy hair and hoping for better hair days! Because I don't want to wash it, because it will get curly then. :D (well, not like I have a choice really, can't walk around with greasy hair forever! :p)

sanfen
April 22nd, 2011, 10:20 PM
I'm still here. :) Haven't had the urge to trim at all. Usually wear my hair down or in a pony. On Jan 1, it was 20.5" long and on Feb 1st it was 21.5" long. I keep forgetting to measure. :rolleyes: I'll shoot to measure on May 1st - it should be interesting to see the results. Then it will get hot and up it goes until October. If an evening is not humid or too hot, then I may wear it down - I can't stand being hot and having hair stick to my skin. :eek:

My last haircut was on Dec 9, 2009. It was a little longer than chin. I didn't mean to grow it, but personal circumstances in 2010 kept me from worrying about my hair. I just wore it up or in a ponytail. I kept telling myself I needed to get a haircut and one day I woke up and decided I wanted long hair again and I was so happy I hadn't cut it. ;)

Happy growing! :)

malumsam
April 23rd, 2011, 08:45 AM
Hello! Using this thread to delurk.

I haven't cut my hair since this year started (was a pixie cut to start), and I've decided to try long hair for the first time. So, this one year challenge seems like a perfect start to me!

So, again, hello! I am joining in on this!

--Sam

akuamoonmaui
April 23rd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Welcome Sam!

Lize
April 24th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Hello! Using this thread to delurk.

I haven't cut my hair since this year started (was a pixie cut to start), and I've decided to try long hair for the first time. So, this one year challenge seems like a perfect start to me!

So, again, hello! I am joining in on this!

--Sam

Welcome to the boards Sam and good luck with this challenge!

Monkie
April 24th, 2011, 10:35 AM
If I can make it til June, my hair will be able to get in to a ponytail, which will make it even easier for me to forget to trim it. I haven't had an urge to trim at all, and have been focusing more on stretching out my washes. There really is not a lot to cut right now anyway.

jenwexler
April 24th, 2011, 05:46 PM
My ends have no splits but are already fairytale like...which is weird since my hair is only slightly past my shoulders. How do you protect your ends? I feel like they are more likely to lack moisture with fairytale ends. Hmm...

Kathie
April 24th, 2011, 09:55 PM
My ends have no splits but are already fairytale like...which is weird since my hair is only slightly past my shoulders. How do you protect your ends? I feel like they are more likely to lack moisture with fairytale ends. Hmm...

My ends are always oiled and tucked away in a bun.

jaine
April 24th, 2011, 10:05 PM

I am relying very heavily on my silk sleeping cap and damp-bunning to dry it (which makes my hair less tangly, and fewer tangles = less damage for me).

jenwexler
April 24th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I don't have any tangles but it's drier since I got on my birth control. Ahh.

Messyhair
April 25th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Well, we're about 1/3 through the year!!! That's what I keep telling myself so I won't break down and trim. :) I have a definite V-shape that's bugging me. I don't remember trimming off the tail when I trimmed last time, so I think it's my own fault rather than how it grew on its own. So I shall have to live with it. :o

Soon I'll celebrate BSL with a cake at work. All of my co-workers know how obsessed I am with growing my hair again, so they'll find it funny. Especially since I plan to somehow incorporate a bra into the cake's decorations. Perhaps at the end of the year I'll have a no-cutting cake at work.... haha! Anything to keep me motivated!

brista
April 26th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I have had a hair trim on my mind for two months now, so I finally went ahead and did it. Even though I know my hair won't be quite as long as it could be by the end of 2011, I feel so much better and I'm glad I did it. I had some layering done which seems to be helping a lot since my hair has been really heavy and tangley lately. I guess I'm out of this thread now, though!

wvgemini
April 27th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Well, I think I'm going to have to bow out of this one. My ends are in need of a light dusting and I just can't do S&D well enough on my own yet. I don't know if this quailfies as a full-blown trim or not (since I will really only dust), but I really think I just need it.

jenwexler
April 27th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Is dusting/microtrimming allowed?

lillylonghair
April 27th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Okay,I caved and trimmed my bangs :( I was going to grow them out but I was getting antsy again so I figured at least if I trim my bangs,I'll feel like I have a new look. The good news is that I think my hair is hitting a little growth spurt because I am soo close to bsl now!

elbow chic
April 27th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I'm still in! I did trim off a couple of wonky-looking ends last week, (right-angled offshoots) but S&D is allowed in my rule-book. ;)

TyRico
April 27th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I'm late but I'm in. I need to stop trimming/cutting my hair

battles
April 27th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I think I am in need of a trim pretty badly.. my ends are a mess of white dots. Pretty much the entire thing.. :(

Roscata
April 27th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Just checking in... my ends look great right now, no split ends, no dryness, no issues in general. I attribuite that to henna and this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) (including all the articles linked to it).

I'm kind of excited to get fairytale ends, although I'm calling it anime hair lol.

battles, if I were you I'd dust my ends (just trim <1/2 or <1/3 of an inch) and then do some S&D.

I hope everyone is doing well with the no trimming challenge! :D

Monkie
April 27th, 2011, 07:33 PM
My ends are starting to feel a little dry, but I have not seen a split end yet. :)

SarahBeth
April 27th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I almost trimmed yesterday. Not much, about 1/2 inch. I had the scissors and hair in hand, but stopped. I just really didn't want to when it came right down to it. I want my long hair!I'm sticking to it!

jenwexler
April 27th, 2011, 07:53 PM
My ends are starting to feel a little dry, but I have not seen a split end yet. :)

Same! But I don't know what to do about it.

battles
April 27th, 2011, 08:11 PM
battles, if I were you I'd dust my ends (just trim <1/2 or <1/3 of an inch) and then do some S&D.

I would have to have someone else do it for me, I'd go blind within minutes.. my hair is barely past chin length. :p

Monkie
April 27th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Same! But I don't know what to do about it.

I've been neglecting, it could use a decent oiling or SMT. I haven't had any time to do anything since March.

jenwexler
April 27th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I've been oiling but It's not enough I guess. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Ostelot
April 28th, 2011, 11:33 AM
In the beginning of the year I thought to trim my hair next in July. But maybe I join here and see how my ends are going act if the trim session is moved to December. Unfortunately the ends already quite fairy tale looking. :/

GrowingGlory
April 28th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Well, it's been six months since my last hair cut. It still seems fairly healthy so I am planning to continue to refrain from having it cut.

jaine
April 28th, 2011, 04:58 PM
My hair is loving the humidity! :crush:
I get oily hair for a week or two when the humidity changes in the spring. Then my hair adjusts and feels so moisturized. I also switched from CWC to CO-washing to maximize this "moisturized" feeling even further. My hair is not as shiny as it was with CWC but the moisture is really nice. My skin is happier too.
I'm like a moss forest creature ... need moisture.

Lize
April 28th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Is dusting/microtrimming allowed?

S&D is allowed, cutting individual split ends and white dots that is. But to me dusting or microtrimming would be a trim. So for me that is not allowed.

Quahatundightu
April 29th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Afraid to say I'm bowing out of this challenge. After a month on holiday in the terribly strong Patagonian winds, despite tying it up my hair got trashed! Really insane how easily that damaged my poor hair even with lots of coconut oil protecting it as well :(

Veer666
April 29th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I am sorry, but I have to leave this thread for I have sinned...

Last week I have cut my hair, because when I wear my hair down it wouldn't look good anymore. With just a trim of 1,5 cm it is fine now.

Bye! Good luck to you all!

Mrspuddinhead
April 29th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Oh!! Is it to late to join this challenge?? The only cut I've had is from chin length bangs to eye brow length and a light dusting.

georgia_peach
April 29th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I am sorry, but I have to leave this thread for I have sinned...

Last week I have cut my hair, because when I wear my hair down it wouldn't look good anymore. With just a trim of 1,5 cm it is fine now.

Bye! Good luck to you all!

Afraid to say I'm bowing out of this challenge. After a month on holiday in the terribly strong Patagonian winds, despite tying it up my hair got trashed! Really insane how easily that damaged my poor hair even with lots of coconut oil protecting it as well :(

Make that another...maybe when my hair gets longer I can try the challenge again. But growing out my pixie got the best of me. I had a small trim two days ago to rid myself of the mullet and even up the edges. I'm much more content to grow out now. Good luck all!

Mountaingrrl
April 29th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Oh!! Is it to late to join this challenge?? The only cut I've had is from chin length bangs to eye brow length and a light dusting.

It's not too late, and you're in good company! I just joined a couple of weeks ago myself.

Kathie
April 29th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I agree with Mountaingrrl, its not too late to join. I also just joined a little over a month ago. We still have the majority of 2011 to go so I can see no harm :)

dulce
April 29th, 2011, 11:01 PM
1'm in! want to reach my goal and just had a trim 3 months ago-

MrsGuther
April 30th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I'm still in on the No Trims in 2011 challenge. :) My last trim was in July 2010.