PDA

View Full Version : No trims in 2011 challenge!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Monkie
June 28th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Half time already! Crazy! It's official then, 1. I can't stick to any pledges, and 2. I am going to power through these next 6 months sans scissors. (I work two jobs anyway, so there's never any good time for me to be in a salon either.) :)

Lize
June 28th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Here's my half way there update. First one taken in middle of January and second today.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/Libelous/dsc63543liten.jpg http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/Libelous/DSC_60612liten.jpg

pixiestar
June 28th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Here's my half way there update. First one taken in middle of January and second today.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/Libelous/dsc63543liten.jpg http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/Libelous/DSC_60612liten.jpg

Great growth Lize:)

bunzfan
June 28th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Great growth Lize your hair is looking fantastic.

Ok here goes first one Jan second about a week ago tape showing how far from waist i am, to me it doesn't look like it's grown much but then we have until Dec.

Click

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/th_008-12-1.jpg (http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/?action=view&current=008-12-1.jpg)

Marja
June 28th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I'm joining in! My last trim was in March, but I try to avoid trimming any more this year because I want to grow my hair to waist. Once I get there I can plan to maintain it at that length. It's hard not to trim though because my ends are pretty thin but I try to resist! Everyone's hair is looking lovely by the way:)

pixiestar
June 28th, 2011, 10:37 AM

Ok here goes first one Jan second about a week ago tape showing how far from waist i am, to me it doesn't look like it's grown much but then we have until Dec.

Click

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/th_008-12-1.jpg (http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/?action=view&current=008-12-1.jpg)

Wow you've had great growth bunzfan:D

Rocket22
June 28th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Wow Lize & Bunzfan you both have had great growth!!!

bunzfan
June 28th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks Pixiestar & Rocket:D My signature picture actually looks longer because it was brushed first.

Rocket22
June 28th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I wasn't going to do progress photos for a bit but I did want to do a 6 month update for this thread. I took some photos with the camera too low and I was bummed it didn't look like I hardly had any growth, so I put it a little higher and it made my hair look super long (to me anyways) so I don't know if it's cheating or what but guess I'll just post it anyways. It feels longer lately so the no new growth pictures was a bummer. I never realized how different hair will looks depending on where the camera is, anyways here is my update. I did have two baby trims. I know bad, but I had to.

eta: also my side are much much shorter than the back of my head and I have extensions there only, to balance out the back. (I just put them in a few weeks ago)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6650&pictureid=106437

jackgirl
June 28th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I think I'll find it easy enough to not trim providing I can keep my ends from getting too wispy. I only just joined this thread so it's only been a few weeks since I trimmed, but it was minimal so I think it's ok as I've probably only cut about 1.5cm since jan. Not bad going when you're a serial cutter and dye addict! I've stopped dyeing too and I'm bored! I'm looking for up-do's that I can do but my hair is only at APL and quite thin so they aren't so substantial. I'm not really a fan of french twists and I'm bored of cinnabuns and braids. I just went out and bought myself a boar bristle brush and a handmade comb though so that's a good start I suppose!

bunzfan
June 28th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Wow rocket you've had some great growth your near waist now:D

Rocket22
June 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Wow rocket you've had some great growth your near waist now:D

I'm about 3 1/2" away. :) I swear I think that pic makes my hair look much longer then it really is.. but it made me feel better so I'm leaving it! I can't wait till I can get to goal and then maintain with trims to thicken up the hemline. Awe someday!

prettykitty
June 28th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I'm waiting for the first, hubby is going to help measure, and take a length shot for me. So exciting!

prettykitty
June 28th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Rocket, I love that the lines on the shirt show your growth!

Rocket22
June 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Rocket, I love that the lines on the shirt show your growth!

Yeah that was one of the first things I read here on LHC and progress photos, so my first shot was with that shirt, but I'm sick of looking at it in pictures now and wouldn't even dream of wearing it out :) but it does work and when I "hair" outgrow it I'm donating it to someone else.. haha if they even want it.

pixiestar
June 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I wasn't going to do progress photos for a bit but I did want to do a 6 month update for this thread. I took some photos with the camera too low and I was bummed it didn't look like anything, so I put it a little higher and it made my hair look super long (to me anyways) so I don't know if it's cheating or what but guess I'll just post it anyways. It feels longer lately so the no new growth pictures was a bummer. I never realized how different hair will look depending on where the camera is, anyways here is my update. I did have two baby trims. I know bad, but I had to.

eta: also my side are much much shorter than the back of my head and I have extensions there only to balance this out. (I just put them in a few weeks ago)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6650&pictureid=106437

Lots of growth Rocket22:D

pixiestar
June 28th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I'm waiting for the first, hubby is going to help measure, and take a length shot for me. So exciting!

looking forward to seeing your pic:D

I'm going to take mine tomorrow:DEven though its not been cut since november, I didn't take any pics till I joined here (march, but first length shot April)

danceri110
June 28th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hey All; I think I'm going to go get my hair cut tomorrow because I truly have too many splits to S & D all of them. The majority of my hair has split ends from past flat-iron damage. So I am dropping out of the challenge because I don't want to have to cut off all of my summer growth /: I will definitely continue not trimming my hair until I reach waist though; and happy growing to you all!

CurlAhead
June 28th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I...want...to...cut...MORE! MUST STAY STRONG!!! :D
Urrghh, don't know what to do with my hair at the moment, so I am just sitting here with nasty, greasy hair and hoping for better hair days! Because I don't want to wash it, because it will get curly then. :D (well, not like I have a choice really, can't walk around with greasy hair forever! :p)

I am not sure, but I think I haven't cut any of my hair since I wrote this. Or at least since the beginning of May! And I must say that it is a BIG step for me. Going from cutting every day(!) to just have done some S&D like, once or twice? :cheese: But my hair isn't any longer, though, hehe! Well, I can't stay here for too long, because I will have the urge to cut again when I see everybody's beautiful hair! Stay strong, folks!

EDIT: Shouldn't have said that, crap!

Coffee Succubus
June 28th, 2011, 07:25 PM
[FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I have not trimmed my hair since last summer.

We're already halfway through the year, so why not? :D
Great motivation! I was very tempted to have an inch or two trimmed off my hair a couple weeks ago.

Nae
June 28th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Okay, I am not feeling like I am gaining a ton of length. I think the curls make it look like less than it is. My last trim was in October so it has been 8 months now. Here I am in October, the day of the trim.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/5093537339_3795bec048.jpg

And here I am today. There are some shadows in this photo that might make my hair look longer but it was the best photo I could get with my 10 year old photographer. (I have hennaed since October......obviously.)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5309/5882585705_9cf671daf2.jpg

Tell me I am imagining things and I am actually gaining length!!!

EDT: Okay seeing them together makes me feel a bit better but I am still thinking my growth is achingly slow.

Rocket22
June 28th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Nae I see lots of growth, and curly hair is tricky as you know it takes twice as long :)

Everyones progress photos are great!!! keep them coming!

McFearless
June 28th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Nae, your hair is so beautiful. I've never seen anyone with your texture before.

Rocket22 your hair is growing really fast! Congrats!

jaine
June 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Nae I see tons of growth ... in the first picture you're just barely past shoulder, but in the second one you're past APL! Your hair color and ringlets are really pretty :)

elbow chic
June 28th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Nae, I see lots of growth there! From upper-back to APL in 8 months is not bad in my book. And yes, the curls eat up length, but I'd take some fabulous texture like that over some length, as focused as we get on pure raw length here sometimes. :)

Tehillim408
June 28th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I'm up for the challenge! Count me in :)

My last hair cut must have been three months ago. It was cute for a while, but now I just want to let it all grow. It's a little past BSL! Yay!

bunzfan
June 29th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Nae you've had a ton of growth, i find it hard seeing as growth in my pics due to waves but you have curls so its harder but i agree you have lovely curls, us curlies and wavies just take a bit longer.

pixiestar
June 29th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Nae you definitely have lots of growth there:D Lovely curls and waves:D

pixiestar
June 29th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Heres my half way through year pics. I've not had a cut since 10th Nov 2010. I started off with a chin length graduated bob.

The first one is one I found when I just start LHC. I think its the beginning of April 2011.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l514/pixiestar13/Hair%20Length/IMG_2860.jpg

This one is this morning.
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l514/pixiestar13/Hair%20Length/IMG_3530.jpg

Sorry the pics are so big, I can't seem to make them stay small:(

Ligeia_13
June 29th, 2011, 05:37 AM

That's a little over 5 months of growth? O.O not fair!

jackgirl
June 29th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Ok this is back in Feb when I joined LHC. I'd just had a big trim and decided after that I wouldn't cut this year. (I've since trimmed about 0.7mm of fluff of the ends twice, but I'm not sure that counts)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8299&pictureid=108222

This is today

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7632&pictureid=106508

I just stumbled on the old one by accident and was quite surprised, I thought I'd been at APL(ish) for ages but it seemed quite a bit shorter. Hopefully at this rate I'll get to BSL by Christmas?

I can also see how different the condition was in, the first one I think was just after a bleach application - I'd previously done two more of peroxide only, and was trying to get back to blonde. Today it looks fried and in need of some TLC!

I'm tempted to take another cm off of it but trying to forget about that for a few months!

Lize
June 29th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Great growth Lize:)

Thank you! :flowers:

Thank you! :) Yours is too. Your hair seems to be growing really fast!

Wow Lize & Bunzfan you both have had great growth!!!

Thank you! And you have too! :D

That's a little over 5 months of growth? O.O not fair!

Thank you. I measured and realized my hair has been growing less than 1/2 inch per month so that puts it below average actually. But the pictures say it has grown.

jackgirl
June 29th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Lize your hair is beautiful, it's exactly what I'm hoping mine will look like in a few months :-)

Nae
June 29th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks so much to everyone. I appreciate all the sweet comments. It is so hard to see growth when you are looking for differences and you see the length all the time.

I have been enjoying these photos of everyone's hair so much. It is so wonderful to see the progress. We have all been working hard. It is difficult not to trim but look at us!! It will be a year before we know it.

Saeth
June 29th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I joined LCH a while back and didn't really pay attention to this thread. However, my last trim/cut was in January and actually I intend for it to stay this way for as long as possible. I'm almost phobic of hairdressers and I've heard too many 'bad talk' long hair, or heard customers ask for only a bit off, and I'm watching the scissors take off a lot more than they said! I done my own fringe last week, bliss! It was wonderful being in full control of my own hair.

So, I'll join this challenge officially even though I'm oh, six months late lol. And it's inspiring to see so many other wonderful people doing the same!

Monkie
June 29th, 2011, 08:18 AM
jackgirl your color/length looks great!

lillylonghair
June 29th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Do you think it will count if I get my bangs blended into my length?

Saeth
June 29th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Lilylonghair: Personally for me it wouldn't count because it's not really cutting off major length, restyling or something dramatic like that. I recently cut my bangs because they were poking me in the eyes and getting annoying but I would still answer 'No' to having had a hair cut so I still feel qualifying.

Ligeia_13
June 29th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Thank you. I measured and realized my hair has been growing less than 1/2 inch per month so that puts it below average actually. But the pictures say it has grown.

I'll say it has! I hope mine grows that nicely.

lillylonghair I wouldn't count it either since its not really affecting your length is it?

jackgirl
June 29th, 2011, 08:59 AM
jackgirl your color/length looks great!

You think? Thanks! I've been having a "meh" day with it today, but just given it a lot of conditioner and coconut oil so hoping I'll be happier later! It's nice to have encouragement though :)

Looking at my other pics it's taken me since May 07 to get it from pixie to here, that was with a fair amount of trims around shoulder length though so don't let that put you off your growth mission!

danceri110
June 29th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I got a hair cut today; so I'm officially out of this challenge but I love my hair; so I guess it's a fair tradeoff ^.^ All of your growth is amazing; I'm quite jealous of your hair! Happy growing ladies (and gentlemen) :)

Lize
June 29th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Lize your hair is beautiful, it's exactly what I'm hoping mine will look like in a few months :-)

Wow, thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words. :flower:

lillylonghair
June 29th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Lilylonghair: Personally for me it wouldn't count because it's not really cutting off major length, restyling or something dramatic like that. I recently cut my bangs because they were poking me in the eyes and getting annoying but I would still answer 'No' to having had a hair cut so I still feel qualifying.

Thats what I was thinking too. I am growing out some majorly blunt bangs and would like to just have them blended into the front so they look nicer and I don't have to pin them back when they get longer.

cloud29
June 29th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Ok Im joining.:) After much annoyance and trim planning for unwanted layers/ damage I have decided to lay off the scissors for awhile and focus on length. Thanks for the support and good job to all.

Sooze
June 29th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Now 9 months for me without a trim, and my frustration with my fairyknots has prompted me to order a tangle teezer to see if that helps. I so want to remain in this challenge for as long as I can :)

Aeowen
June 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I'm late to the party, but can I join? Even though I'm growing out a pixie, my goal is to not let any scissors near my head for at least a year!

Mrspuddinhead
June 29th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Hi ladies!! I'm still hanging in there. I was so pleased when my husband measured my hair for me today. I now measure in at 24." When I joined on April 22nd I measured in at 22". I some how managed to grow 1" this June instead of the normal 1/2". How are the rest of you coming along??

pennyroyal
June 29th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I am still hanging in there as well even tho my hairs desperately need a trim! It's been 16 months but i wanna wait till 2012!!!

cloud29
June 30th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Wow, good job, pennyroyal!

ArienEllariel
June 30th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Doing good, going good.. I'm at a year and a month since my last trim. I shouldn't need a trim for quite a while yet. I'm not much into the blunt straight across look on myself so this is pretty easy for me. I like the uneven look.

Mrspuddinhead
June 30th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I am still hanging in there as well even tho my hairs desperately need a trim! It's been 16 months but i wanna wait till 2012!!!

You and I are in the same boat dear Pennyroyal. It can be so tempting at times to cut. I'm currently at 24" which is two inches past BSL. Like you I too shall wait for a trim. I've been babying my ends and they look much, much, better so I don't think a trim is needed though a clean heamline is a very lovely idea.

Monkie
June 30th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I will not trim my hair today. I will not trim my hair today. I will not trim my hair today. Currently at 14.5/15" (measured twice, inconclusive.) and hit shoulder at 16". I really need that extra inch. If I don't trim I will hit shoulder some time late july/early august.

jackgirl
June 30th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I will not trim my hair today. I will not trim my hair today. I will not trim my hair today. Currently at 14.5/15" (measured twice, inconclusive.) and hit shoulder at 16". I really need that extra inch. If I don't trim I will hit shoulder some time late july/early august.

Don't do it!! Go and do a nice conditioning treatment instead and style it different, I find that always helps :-)

(unless you want to of course)!

Monkie
June 30th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I actually just flipped my part a few days ago, I have to do this every few weeks to keep my bangs looking OK as they grow out.

jackgirl
June 30th, 2011, 01:21 PM
maybe try some cute headscarves too? When I was growing out mine I liked twisting it anticlockwise and gathering up other bits from the front as I went, and then clipping at the side. Or just experimenting with wax.. short hair is fun, I miss it sometimes!

Vanilla Mint
July 1st, 2011, 03:14 AM
Suppose I'm joining in with this, as I refuse to let anyone near my ends but my mother, and she's too far away at the moment to help me!

SpeakingEZ
July 1st, 2011, 12:08 PM
Wow, everyone has such fantastic progress! I'll post my picture as soon as DF gets home and snaps one for me!

Just did my first-of-the-month measuring, I'm at 29.5! (Was I already there? Did I measure earlier this month? I forget.) I only need another two and a half inches to hit waist length.

Mrspuddinhead
July 1st, 2011, 02:15 PM
I just wanted to share my most recent picture with you ladies and gentlemen. I'm now at 24".

http://i51.tinypic.com/23h40h3.jpg

Kathie
July 1st, 2011, 03:23 PM
I just wanted to share my most recent picture with you ladies and gentlemen. I'm now at 24".

http://i51.tinypic.com/23h40h3.jpg
The pic isn't there :(

layla<33
July 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM
im a new member so unfortunatly missed out on this challenge :( but i havent had a trim in three or four months and plan on no trims until the end of this year when i hit waist! then no trims in 2013 till a little past hip then a inch or two for a healthy trim then ill be maintaining hp :) sorry just wanted to put in my bit :p

Sooze
July 2nd, 2011, 12:00 AM
im a new member so unfortunatly missed out on this challenge :( but i havent had a trim in three or four months and plan on no trims until the end of this year when i hit waist! then no trims in 2013 till a little past hip then a inch or two for a healthy trim then ill be maintaining hp :) sorry just wanted to put in my bit :p

Layla, that's okay - you can still join the challenge - there's six months of the year left to go. I don't know if there are anough years left for me to grow to hip length, lol! :D

dmarie16
July 2nd, 2011, 12:20 AM
I cannot join although I would love to!! :( I need several good trims to even up these crazy razor cut layers!!:boohoo: But once I get to one length then watch out!!!! LOL!

In the meantime I will cheer everyone else on! Yay!!!:cheer:

Mommyof4
July 2nd, 2011, 01:37 AM
So, i'm joining this challenge super late, but maybe by January 2012, I'll be able to trim some dye damage off and still have a little more length! :)

SpeakingEZ
July 2nd, 2011, 02:05 AM
Here's my halfway picture! I've never posted images before, and I don't really know what I'm doing, so they might just show up as links to my album.

Here's my start picture! 26.25" taken Jan 1st:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4719&pictureid=92081

And here was today, 29.5"!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4719&pictureid=106814

ETA: I give up. Please just click the links to my photo album.

bunzfan
July 2nd, 2011, 02:34 AM
Here's my halfway picture! I've never posted images before, and I don't really know what I'm doing, so they might just show up as links to my album.

Wow your hair looks amazing now and we are only half way through.

pixiestar
July 2nd, 2011, 03:02 AM

Great growth, lovely hair:D

Lize
July 2nd, 2011, 08:47 AM

Wow! Amazing growth! :) :thumbsup:

Rocket22
July 2nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
Wow speakingez the progress pictures are fantastic..

Please keep the progress pictures coming everyone it's very inspiring and fun to look at :)

SpeakingEZ
July 2nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Thank you, Bunzfan, Pixiestar, Lize, and Rocket22!! Sorry they were probably difficult to compare being in different windows. I'm happy with my growth, though!

bunzfan
July 4th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Well you would all be proud of me today i nearly gave in but i didn't. It all started this morning when i clarified my hair when ever i do that for some reason my ends disappear and look thin and wispy in a braid but days later it's back to it normal state.

The only thing that stopped me trimming at least an inch and a half was putting it into a French braided bun and because my ends were so thin it made quite a big bun:D guess i will be wearing that style for a while.

Lize
July 4th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Well you would all be proud of me today i nearly gave in but i didn't. It all started this morning when i clarified my hair when ever i do that for some reason my ends disappear and look thin and wispy in a braid but days later it's back to it normal state.

The only thing that stopped me trimming at least an inch and a half was putting it into a French braided bun and because my ends were so thin it made quite a big bun:D guess i will be wearing that style for a while.

Good for you that you stopped yourself! :thumbsup:

I had a similar experience about a week ago. I had made a heavy oil treatment followed by a deep conditioning treatment. It made my hair super sleek and lacking volume a bit. I was meeting my mom to go somewhere and I didn't have time to do anything with my hair but throw it into a ponytail, which is a style I rarely wear nowadays. I have actually managed to get into the routine of wearing mostly braids and buns now. :)

Anyway, I looked at the base of the ponytail and my hair looked SO thin. I mean compared to how it usually looks. I was convinced I must have had a heavy shed this spring (Which I think I actually have had.), and that my hair now was way to thin to grow at all. :(

But I managed to get out of this state by braiding it and try to forget about it. Braided it looked ike usual. And saying to my BF "I'm thinking about cutting my hair." And he said "No, don't do that.". I think mainly because he knows I am growing it and he saw I was having a moment of impulsiveness or something. His comment made me put it up (no pun intended) until later and later of course I didn't feel the same way.

I really, really wanna get through this challenge and that means getting through these moments of doubt which for me unfortunately are inevitable.

bunzfan
July 4th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Good for you that you stopped yourself! :thumbsup:

I had a similar experience about a week ago. I had made a heavy oil treatment followed by a deep conditioning treatment. It made my hair super sleek and lacking volume a bit. I was meeting my mom to go somewhere and I didn't have time to do anything with my hair but throw it into a ponytail, which is a style I rarely wear nowadays. I have actually managed to get into the routine of wearing mostly braids and buns now. :)

Anyway, I looked at the base of the ponytail and my hair looked SO thin. I mean compared to how it usually looks. I was convinced I must have had a heavy shed this spring (Which I think I actually have had.), and that my hair now was way to thin to grow at all. :(

But I managed to get out of this state by braiding it and try to forget about it. Braided it looked ike usual. And saying to my BF "I'm thinking about cutting my hair." And he said "No, don't do that.". I think mainly because he knows I am growing it and he saw I was having a moment of impulsiveness or something. His comment made me put it up (no pun intended) until later and later of course I didn't feel the same way.

I really, really wanna get through this challenge and that means getting through these moments of doubt which for me unfortunately are inevitable.

Thank you i'm glad i'm not the only one and just yesterday i was thinking how long the braid looked;) i think when you have fine hair but a lot of it and long layers its really tough!

I actually think the reason it looks so thin at the ends of the braid is where it tapers in due to the end of the layers as they are 3 inches shorter than my length and i haven't cut them at all in a year it tells you how short they were, i was going to wait till my layers were waist length and then blunt cut to waist that might take another 6 or 7 month though.

heidi.maryke
July 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I'll be out of this challenge on Friday, but then joining up again straight after lol. After taking my monthly photo and being totally disgusted at the state of my hair, I decided to get a trim and new layers this friday after my hd gave me a voucher. Its been 8 months, so not too bad

Lize
July 5th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Thank you i'm glad i'm not the only one and just yesterday i was thinking how long the braid looked;) i think when you have fine hair but a lot of it and long layers its really tough!

I actually think the reason it looks so thin at the ends of the braid is where it tapers in due to the end of the layers as they are 3 inches shorter than my length and i haven't cut them at all in a year it tells you how short they were, i was going to wait till my layers were waist length and then blunt cut to waist that might take another 6 or 7 month though.

Yeah, I know how it is, I also have layers that cause my braid to taper a lot. And fine hair and a lot of it. :) At least I hope I still have a lot of it after all this shed. But I used to have a circumference of 3.7" without layers and bangs. And how it would be virgin I don't know. But this time I am really growing my virgin hair! And my bangs and my layers.

I'll be out of this challenge on Friday, but then joining up again straight after lol. After taking my monthly photo and being totally disgusted at the state of my hair, I decided to get a trim and new layers this friday after my hd gave me a voucher. Its been 8 months, so not too bad

8 months is still a long time! :) Good luck!

bunzfan
July 5th, 2011, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=Lize;1675165]Yeah, I know how it is, I also have layers that cause my braid to taper a lot. And fine hair and a lot of it. :) At least I hope I still have a lot of it after all this shed. But I used to have a circumference of 3.7" without layers and bangs. And how it would be virgin I don't know. But this time I am really growing my virgin hair! And my bangs and my layers.

Wow that's impressive, i'm out i'm afraid after looking closer at my hair i had tons of wispy bits and uneven layers which were makings braids and updo's a pain. I haven't trimmed since December though so i've not done bad it also means i closer to one length. Sad to be out though:(

What do you think?

Pics before and after .

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/004-13-1.jpg

SpeakingEZ
July 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I went outside today with my hair down. And I saw white dots everywhere. Some hairs had multiple white dots. Oh, dear. I need a major S+D. I wouldn't have known.

I need to look at myself in the daylight more often. . . . On a related note, DF let me know the other day that my femme-stash had grown back in after waxing a month ago. Inside, I had to turn on all the lights in the bathroom and look up-close to see it! But apparently, in the daylight he could see it from 3 feet away.

Demetra
July 5th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I am just now realizing that it is July and I haven't cut my hair all year! I'm halfway there!!! :cheer:

Lize
July 5th, 2011, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=Lize;1675165]Yeah, I know how it is, I also have layers that cause my braid to taper a lot. And fine hair and a lot of it. :) At least I hope I still have a lot of it after all this shed. But I used to have a circumference of 3.7" without layers and bangs. And how it would be virgin I don't know. But this time I am really growing my virgin hair! And my bangs and my layers.

Wow that's impressive, i'm out i'm afraid after looking closer at my hair i had tons of wispy bits and uneven layers which were makings braids and updo's a pain. I haven't trimmed since December though so i've not done bad it also means i closer to one length. Sad to be out though:(

What do you think?

Pics before and after .

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/004-13-1.jpg

Great job on the trim. Your ends look great. I can't wait til I get to trim in January... :)

I am just now realizing that it is July and I haven't cut my hair all year! I'm halfway there!!! :cheer:

Yay! :joy: Good work!

SpeakingEZ
July 5th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Great job on the trim. Your ends look great. I can't wait til I get to trim in January...

Seconded. The hemline is so straight!

prettykitty
July 5th, 2011, 09:33 PM
SpeakingEZ, your progress pictures are lovely...they give me hope, I'm a little stuck at 26.5 at the moment, but when I think hmm, maybe I'll make 29 or even 30 by the end of the year I feel better.

I love love the pictures, but this thread actually makes me want to trim! Forbidden fruit and all of that, I guess, or just realising that I haven't trimmed in so long makes me wonder if the ends are getting dry.....*reaches for the coconut oil*

pixiestar
July 6th, 2011, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE=bunzfan;1675442]

Great job on the trim. Your ends look great. I can't wait til I get to trim in January... :)

Yay! :joy: Good work!

Agree agree:D

I can't wait to get a trim as well. 1st Jan trim to get a u shape hemline:D well if its long enough:) I'm growing out a graduated bob, so its slightly longer at the front than the back. I really want to even it out:D

Lize
July 6th, 2011, 03:47 AM
I can't wait to get a trim as well. 1st Jan trim to get a u shape hemline:D well if its long enough:) I'm growing out a graduated bob, so its slightly longer at the front than the back. I really want to even it out:D

Cool! :) I haven't really decided what kind of hemline to try to get. I think what I am choosing between is U-shaped and straight across.

bunzfan
July 6th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Thank you both of you. I decided straight across was better to make it look nice and thick and for updo's as i mainly wear it up. I think a u shape might be a pain if you wear it up mostly.

I'm liking the fact that my braid looks thick again but it feels so short hopefully i will get a growth spurt now. Carry on everyone your all doing so well i only gave in due to how wispy my ends had got already.

Amara
July 6th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Can I join? I did my final trim to even up my back and sides and now I'm going to grow grow grow!

Lize
July 6th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Can I join? I did my final trim to even up my back and sides and now I'm going to grow grow grow!

Of course. Welcome! :)

battles
July 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I'm dropping out, sadly. I had a trim today and added bangs to my hair. In good news, I love it. :D

mamalovesmac
July 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I couldn't see not trimming my hair for an entire year!! It would be splitting and breaking off insanely at some point,lol. Then I'd end up with a CUT instead of the occassional trims.

CarpeDM
July 6th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I couldn't take it anymore, I went for a trim two weeks ago :) My ends were getting crunchy and one side was growing longer than the other one...but it was still a good motivator as I lasted 7 months without a trim and that was really remarkable for me!

jackgirl
July 6th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Lize I am loving that stripy bun :)

Lippytoes
July 7th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Time for an update, methinks! Not trimming is working out really well for me - I actually haven't had a trim since August 2009. I've just been doing S&D and babying my ends. I'm quite pleased with my ends - doing SMTs has definitely helped keep them from getting dry and crunchy. And I like fairytale ends. :)

Here was my hair last year, June 15th 2010:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/darthsnoo/hair/hairgrowthprogress002.jpg

And here it is today:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/darthsnoo/hair/julylengthforlhc.jpg

I hadn't even realised how much my hair's grown, since it seems to grow soooo sloooowlyyyy. But now it actually feels quite long! :cheese:

*cheers everyone on in the no-trim journey*

CarpeDM
July 7th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Wow Lippytoes not trimming is really working for you, your hair looks great!!

Lippytoes
July 7th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Wow Lippytoes not trimming is really working for you, your hair looks great!!

Thanks, CarpeDM! :flower:

theodora
July 7th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I want to join this challenge, but I was wondering if S&Ding is still allowed?
Hope I'm not asking a question someone has already asked as I haven't read all the posts in the thread yet... :o

Nae
July 7th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Hope I'm not asking a question someone has already asked as I haven't read all the posts in the thread yet... :o

Oh yes, S&D away! Totally allowed!

GrowingGlory
July 7th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Still no trims, and my hair has seldom looked or felt better! Pleasantly surprised at that. Have fallen into an easy routine of rotating two shampoos and one shampoo followed by conditioner. Then, I brush when my hair is completely dry. It seldom splits or breaks, feels soft and smooth, and looks shiny and full of body.

On October 31 it will have been one year since scissors have touched my hair. I will have saved enough money to justify the purchase of my Mason Pearson Large Extra BBB. My hair seems healthier this way, so I think that I'll just continue this way. Thanks for the suggestion and the support in deviating from the social norm.

GoatLady
July 7th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Forgive me fellow LHC members, for I have trimmed. I noticed some split ends so just did a quick and dirty light trimming to remove them. Didn't want them to split further up the hair shaft. But that should hold me until new years. No more scissors.

SpeakingEZ
July 7th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Time for an update, methinks! Not trimming is working out really well for me - I actually haven't had a trim since August 2009. I've just been doing S&D and babying my ends. I'm quite pleased with my ends - doing SMTs has definitely helped keep them from getting dry and crunchy. And I like fairytale ends. :)

Here was my hair last year, June 15th 2010:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/darthsnoo/hair/hairgrowthprogress002.jpg

And here it is today:

I hadn't even realised how much my hair's grown, since it seems to grow soooo sloooowlyyyy. But now it actually feels quite long! :cheese:

*cheers everyone on in the no-trim journey*

Thud, hey! You're doing fantastic! You look like you've gained a good 4 inches already. You went from APL/BSL to near-WL!

turtlelover
July 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I did a TINY trim a couple of weeks ago -- 1/4 inch max -- but I am hoping to finish the year w/ no more trims except my wispy bangs. Half-up styling hides my unruly layers when I am having a bad hair day, so I have no excuses to give up and cut it this time!!!

pixiestar
July 8th, 2011, 12:19 AM
And here it is today:

*cheers everyone on in the no-trim journey*[/QUOTE]

Wow Lippytoes, amazing growth:D
I hope mine grows as well as yours with no trims and just s&d's :D

Lippytoes
July 8th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Thud, hey! You're doing fantastic! You look like you've gained a good 4 inches already. You went from APL/BSL to near-WL!

Thanks! I'm actually really surprised at how much it's grown. The old "put your hair up and ignore it" mantra kind of works. :D

Lippytoes
July 8th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Wow Lippytoes, amazing growth:D
I hope mine grows as well as yours with no trims and just s&d's :D

I'm sure your hair will! S&D is your friend. :) Also, oiling and SMTs have worked really well for me - if I keep my ends moisturised, they're pretty happy!

seaj
July 8th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I've already gone two years without trimming so this shouldn't be too hard I hope. Actually I did cut off one single strand. My ends are only 2 years old though.

IanB
July 8th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Well, still no trim so far and hanging on in there!

Lemur_Catta
July 8th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Unfortunately I have to abandon this challenge :( After my trim last November my hair grew pretty fast for 2-3 months, then it started growing more slowly and then stalling. I guess my ends were too damaged. So, on June 1st I cut 3 cm out of my hair, going from 85 to 82, and on July 1st I was already at 83,5 cm :D So I trimmed 0,5 cm and I plan on doing so every month until I have grown out all damage. Unfortunately, no trimming is not for me :(
Also, my ends were becoming thin because since I have a lot of split ends I was s&ding constantly. I guess trimming every month and no s&d is better for me.

IanB
July 8th, 2011, 03:05 AM
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8063&pictureid=106995

Here's a pic from July 4th - just olive oiled!

Lize
July 8th, 2011, 03:57 AM
A lot of people dropped out, but half a year is still a long time not to trim! At least it is for me. If it had not been for this challenge I would have trimmed a long time ago. And to those who are still in: Good job! Keep fighting! :D I can't believe I am still in. ;)

Lize I am loving that stripy bun :)

Thank you very very much! :flowers:

Still allowed! You are very welcome to the challenge. :)

Thanks! I'm actually really surprised at how much it's grown. The old "put your hair up and ignore it" mantra kind of works. :D

Lippytoes, your hair looks great! Thank you so much for the inspiration! :D Pictures like that is exactly what we need in this thread!

Well, still no trim so far and hanging on in there!

Great! Your hair looks wonderful! :)

Joliebaby
July 8th, 2011, 05:23 AM
I'm actually thinking of making this "no trimming until MBL" for myself..
I just want my long hair back FAST.
Also, it would be fun to have actual hard proof of how much my hair grew without having to account for trims, which always end up being estimates..

Lize
July 8th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I'm actually thinking of making this "no trimming until MBL" for myself..
I just want my long hair back FAST.
Also, it would be fun to have actual hard proof of how much my hair grew without having to account for trims, which always end up being estimates..

Please make your own challenge as it suits you. :)

That was actually one of the reasons I wanted to do this. To see how much growth I would get in a year without trims. That and that I am a trimming addict.

Anyway, you are welcome to the thread! :)

ArienEllariel
July 8th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I trimmed in bangs but I really don't count that. My ends could possibly use a trim but since I'm not brave enough to trim it myself yet/don't know how yet and I don't really want to trim until next year, I'll push on through.

pixiestar
July 8th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Just wanted to say great growth everyone:D
My year will be up on 10th Nov, so I will assess it then. Hopefully I can carry on with just s&d's. I may trim 1st jan to even up hemline, from a slight inverted bob I'm growing out. And then back to s&d's :D and babying my ends like Lippytoes:D

SpeakingEZ
July 8th, 2011, 11:40 PM
A lot of people dropped out, but half a year is still a long time not to trim! At least it is for me. If it had not been for this challenge I would have trimmed a long time ago. And to those who are still in: Good job! Keep fighting! :D I can't believe I am still in. ;)

I was thinking this myself! I wonder how many people are still in?

Becky9679
July 9th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I'm still in, I've not trimmed since November last year! For a while I was itching to have a trim but I think I've got through that now and I may even extend this challenge once 2011 is over :D

freckles
July 9th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I'm still in --- my last trim was also in November :)

Mountaingrrl
July 9th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I'm still in. It's been since April for me.

l0nd0nbr1dg3
July 9th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I'm in, im not trimming my hair at all either. My last trim was 2 weeks ago and there is alot of damage, but i just will NOT cut it

Arianwen
July 9th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I'm in like Flynn!

OperaTeacherMom
July 9th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I'm still in too! My most recent length shot is my avatar, I haven't trimmed since March of '10, and since then have gone from chin length curly to APL curly. YAY!

jaine
July 9th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I'm still in too.
I just watched La Dolce Vita...I love her hair! 2c lusciousness and it's the length I want to have in a year or two. When I do finally get a trim I'm taking a still from that movie to show my stylist what I want :)

ooo
July 10th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I'm still in. :D

Nae
July 10th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I am in! Haven't trimmed since October.

AlannaMaria
July 10th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I just got mine trimmed...but I think I may join in this challenge for the rest of 2011! I should have at least 2 1/2 inches of growth--more if I'm lucky. : )

Muse
July 10th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I'm still in. I haven't cut since November. In September I will be out.

duckhugger
July 10th, 2011, 05:11 PM
This community is so amazing and supportive! I only joined a few days ago, but so far I am loving it! Obviously I am way to far into the year to begin this challenge, but I think thats alright because right now I am trying to grow out a pixie cut. So I am chopping off the bottom layer every month to avoid looking like I have a mullet. I think though that once I hit January of next year I will be able to start the no trims for a year challenge. Congrats to everyone who is doing this challenge! You are more than half way there! Keep going!:cheese:

elbow chic
July 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I'm still in too! And not feeling any urge to trim at the moment. :cheese: My last trim was February '10.

Rocket22
July 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Well I'm still in too.. sorta, I kinda cheated with baby baby trim. (just pulled hair in ponytail and took off tip) so not really a trim but sort of and it's still cheating I guess but I have made lots of progress and this thread is keeping me somewhat honest :) so yay for this thread!!!!!!

VanillaTresses
July 10th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Hm, I am joining a wee it late but fortunately I have not trimmed in 2011!! So I guess I firmly resolve not to trim for the rest of the year... that should give me at least another good 3-4"

:cheese:

ETA: Actually, I am resolved to not trim indefinitely, or for as long as I can possibly manage it. I would love to just let it go and see what happens. Of course, with my history I am not placing any bets on it or anything, but it is fun to see how long I can go. My blog ticker lets you all know how long I have been going so far. (Right now 15 months or so.)

DecafJane
July 11th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Still here! I only joined a couple of months ago, but haven't trimmed since about September last year.

prettykitty
July 12th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I'm thinking of not only not trimming until next year, but also of not measuring until next year! How lovely it would be to measure in the new year and have lots of new hair...hmmm.

KLin
July 12th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Started this year at 31" pulled straight, measured today at 34" pulled straight. :) I have had lots of mediation for broken foot and abdominal surgury in the past 4 months so I'm doing good.

jaquelines
July 13th, 2011, 08:52 AM
last time i have trimmed was june 2010. so it&#180;s been more than one year.

Lize
July 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Great to see that there are some people that are still in. And welcome to the newcomers! :flower:

free_hug
July 13th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Hm, I'm getting my trim/cut combo Friday evening (tomorrow), but since I get one of those about every 8 months, I think I'll be free to join in for the rest of 2011 afterwards :)

((Expl.: A trim/cut combo is what you get when you grow out with layers - you just have to keep in mind where to trim only, and where to actually have a little cut))

bigred199
July 13th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I'm still in. I haven't trimmed since I don't remember when, September maybe. I'm in this until the end of 2011! Actually, I'm loving the length I'm getting, and the splits aren't anything a little S&D now and then can't handle. I love this challenge!

Nae
July 14th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I am out, I went 9 months but the ends were getting to be too much for me. I used Feye's method and took off about an inch. I am back in for the rest of the year though. I am thinking about staying on a 7-8 month trimming schedule.

Cirafly24
July 14th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Still going strong. I did some S&D last week and my ends are looking ok :)

Lize
July 14th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Still going strong. I did some S&D last week and my ends are looking ok :)

Glad to hear that! :)

vintersaga
July 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I am in so far. :) I've recently noticed that I get some more splits now but it's under control with S&D so I'm still determined to make it this year, and hopefully, a bit more. :)

Now it's been 1 year and 3 months since I buzzed it all off and I haven't trimmed it once yet. I won't do. I refuse to do it! :p When the time is right, I will. But I'm not there, yet... :) Oh, this waiting... *sigh*

Kathie
July 15th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I'm still here too. I started in March so its only been 4 months for me. So I'm laying low.

Jenw777
July 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I havem't trimmed mine since last summer (my bangs being the exception)...

I'm starting to notice a few dots, but nothing that a S&D can't fix.

pink.sara
July 15th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I'm out, went 13 months since last June without a cut but my horrible POB hemline won and I cut yesterday! :(
I had reached APL in front (with the left side being a full 2 inches longer!) but the back was still 2-3 inches shy of my mini goal, so I cut it blunt all round. Sad to lose 3+ inches on the front but it does look and feel much better. :)
I'm not trimming until December now then I'll rejoin for a no trimming 2012 which will hopefully take me to BSL or beyond *x-fingers*

Good luck everyone and see you next year!

rhosyn_du
July 15th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Ugh. I need some support, you guys. I have so many split ends, it's not even funny. I've spent over an hour S&D-ing every week for the past three weeks, and I still can't pick up a lock of hair without half of it having visibly split ends or white dots. I've never had splits like this, and it's making me really itchy to trim, but I really want to stick it out until 12/31 so I'll have gone a whole year without trimming. Anyone got some encouraging words to help keep me away from trimming?

LadyG
July 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Still here, and not having any urges to cut.

Lize
July 16th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Great to see that some more people are still in. As I recall it quite a few has joined, but I am not sure how many are keeping up with this thread. ;)

Ugh. I need some support, you guys. I have so many split ends, it's not even funny. I've spent over an hour S&D-ing every week for the past three weeks, and I still can't pick up a lock of hair without half of it having visibly split ends or white dots. I've never had splits like this, and it's making me really itchy to trim, but I really want to stick it out until 12/31 so I'll have gone a whole year without trimming. Anyone got some encouraging words to help keep me away from trimming?

I had lots of splits in the beginning of this challenge but then I changed my routine a bit. (More updos, less harsh washing method, much more oiling.) After changing routine it got a bit better but I still get quite a few splits and white dots. I am keeping them at bay with S&D. My hair is very prone to splits because the ends have been subjected to a number of bleachings and dyejobs. That's why I knew this would be a big challenge for me.

Lately I have been toying with the idea how it would be to cut back to right above APL, because then I could have one length hair! And the end would be thick and healthy. But then I think at least I have to stick out this challenge and then I get to decide what to do with my hair. To get though this challenge would be such a victory for me since I am somewhat a compulsive trimmer. And I am also very impulsive when it comes to chopping back to get rid of layers/dye. But also when it comes to getting new layers and new dye. Haha, that's kind of why i am doing this. So I have to stick it out.

So, what were your reasons for joining here? What did you want to achieve? When I think about my goals everything tends to get easier. Imagine where you will be length wise in the end of the year if you don't trim. I also try to think about my long term goals and what would be the best way to get there. Of course you can do it! Maybe keep it up and out of sight as much as possible and you won't think about it as much? Try something new for your routine? Do a deep treatment for the ends? Looking at pictures of your own hair and how long it has gotten? Or look at pictures of hair that is your goal length?

I am on the verge of trimming all the time, but somehow I have gotten this far and I plan to make it through the entire year!

HTH! :flower:

pixiestar
July 16th, 2011, 06:48 AM
I'm still in:D
It will be a year for me 10th Nov, so definitely want to get to a year with no trims. Sometimes I want to trim the ends to all one length, as I'm growing out a slight inverted bob haircut, and the sides are longer than the back. It always seems to look untidy no matter what I do:( I can't wait till the end of the year so I can self trim:)

linnepinne
July 16th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Signing in! :D

I know I'm a bit late, but I recently just decided not to trim until christmas 2011. Christmas 2010 was when I last had my hair trimmed professionally, and I've only had one little slip up and did a micro trim on myself in april.
At first, I decided to only trim every six months. That would mean that I should trim about now. But I don't really feel the need at the moment. I would rather have some more lenght. So then I changed my planned trim to September, which will be my LHC anniversary, and then go a whole year without trims. But then I thought, hey, September to December is not a very long way to go, and so I stumble upon this thread. Must be a sign, right?

I can't really S&D, because my hair isn't long enough (shortest layers are collarbone, and longest are APL), and my hairs are so fine, I can't really see if they are split or not. So I decided not to cound my one micro trim as a trim, just to see it as my version of S&D, because I lost nearly no lenght at all. My ends just felt a little happier.

Mrspuddinhead
July 16th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Still in ladies and gents! I normally measure in the 29th of every month but I was soooo..... anxious! So I had my fiance measure for me. I measure in at 24 1/2" inch's!!! YEAH!!! I've already grown my 1/2" this month.So I'm hoping when I measure on the 29th I will have gained another 1/2" inch. That would make two months in a row that I've gained an 1". So maybe just maybe I'll be waist by May.

Kathie
July 16th, 2011, 02:24 PM
So, what were your reasons for joining here? What did you want to achieve? When I think about my goals everything tends to get easier. :flower:

After being at LHC for a year I had gained three inches in length! All the rest was trimmed away :( So I decided enough was enough and to give this challenge a go.

SpeakingEZ
July 16th, 2011, 05:11 PM

I don't think it's very surprising that you're having so much more trouble with your hair than the majority of us in the challenge, yours being some of the longest hair here. Your hair is much older and much more delicate than most of ours. It's going to require extra care if you want to get through the challenge.

I'm sure there's something you can change rather than going back to trimming. It might just need more gentle handling. Lize made some great suggestions not only for your motivation but for your hair condition: oiling/ deep treatments, more updo's, etc.

ETA: I had to delete some, I got your confused with someone else!

freckles
July 17th, 2011, 06:35 AM

I'm also dealing with a lot of splits and dots (though I always am) ... you have my sympathy, although I don't have much advice!

To get through the rest of the challenge, I'm mostly just choosing to focus on the fact that regardless of splits, my hair is still gaining length at its usual rate. The other thing I'm thinking about is that when I get to tailbone, I'll be maintaining and hopefully improving condition, so if I can just make it until *then* ...

judging by your stats, you're growing longer than me, so maybe that second thought won't be as comforting to you. But maybe the first thought, that splits are just really not that big a deal (that's what I always tell myself!) might help. Is your hair still gaining length just fine? Can anyone else see the splits, or does your hair look fine if you're not staring at the ends in sunlight?

longcurlygirl<3
July 17th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I had my last trim on March 25, 2011, but didn't have a trim before that which was Feb. 15, 2010. So, I have had only two professional trims, which they cut like 2-3 off in march, and in feb, they cut alot also like 3-4 maybe? Or two I am not sure, but I had straighthing damage which is probably gone now :).

Saeth
July 24th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Done my monthly S&D and I'm still happy with how my hairs condition is. I've not measured though, I'm not sure I want to take up the habit! I can see me getting too crazy over it all. I'll just watch it grow and send it positive willing thoughts :D

rhosyn_du: I would look into your hair care routine. I had a slight 'hot spot' for splits at the back of my head on the sides and realised it was how I was combing it. Sure, I could have trimmed it off but it wouldn't have solved the problem. Good luck :)

AceOfCurls
July 24th, 2011, 10:27 AM
It is easy not to trim when you don't have scissor to trim with. :P I have not trimmed since September 2010, but I feel like my hair is suffering. I keep thinking, 'I didn't trim my hair all during high school (4 years) and my hair looked extremely healthy, if I could do it once I can do it again!'

goldenmoments
July 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I'll be joining for the rest of the year.

I recently cut off my layers (bsl to apl) and plan to only S&D till the new year.
More motivation to take extra good care of my hair!

Alias
July 24th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I'm in. I haven't had a REAL cut since the beginning of December 2010 and back then I cut maybe an inch, but I've been S&D-ing regularly since April.

SpeakingEZ
July 24th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I'm almost at 30"! And I really want to trim. I'm moving in about a week and I'd like to look presentable for job interviews. The ends are looking really snarrly and catching on themselves. (It's really the last 3" that are catching, but I think even half an inch would make it behave a little better.)

Ok, I'm doing it. I've considered it for a couple months, so it's not an impulse thing. And I should still hit waist by the end of the year.

Sorry! I guess I'm out.

alyanna
July 24th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Well I'd like to join too. I haven't trimmed since just after I joined LHC, so sometime in April. I thought I'd cut around May, but a bunch of people on the Shoulder to APL thread convinced me to hold out.

So it's been 3 months since my last trim and it feels weird after sporting every kind of bob and shag imaginable (ie. trimming every 6 weeks or so) in the past 3 years.

So far my hair is in pretty good condition and does not yet look like it's in need of a trim. Although, I have blonde highlights to grow out and razored layers in the front. I will definitely be needing a trim eventually, but we'll see if I can hold out until the end of the year. Hopefully, I'll be well into APL by then.

McFearless
July 24th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Its so easy to give up trims when you don't own any scissors and fear the hairdresser. Now that I own scissors so that I can s&d I'm constantly trying to fight off the urge to cut off all my damage. I asked my sister to hide them from me. I want to cut so badly! I should mention I'm in 21 months from a trim. I haven't had a proper cut in at least 30 months.

wishywashy
July 24th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I would like to join the club too! I haven't cut or trimmed my hair since Feb.2011...have been growing ever since. In May I started to use my coconut oil as a leave in and every so often use my olive oil about once a month. This July, I upped my game by switch to CWC washes, added Jojoba and BBB along with wearing a Satin night-cap to bed.

My hair feels and looks pretty decent, Hoping to make it to December with no splits...so far so good! :eyebrows:

backwoodsbeauty
July 24th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I'm in for the rest of the year. I want to grow my annoying bangs out but I get very scissor happy and don't know when to stop. So this should help me reach waist by the end of 2011.

Now that I own scissors so that I can s&d I'm constantly trying to fight off the urge to cut off all my damage. I asked my sister to hide them from me. I want to cut so badly! This made me laugh!

SpeakingEZ
July 24th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Trigger warning!

Ok, I did it. Took about 1/2" off as planned. Didn't try to even it up, just took tiny sections at a time and snipped off 1/2" from each, then snipped off 1/4" from the ponytail point. I'm satisfied. I think if I'd done something more thorough and more hemline-oriented, I would have ended up taking off a lot more than necessary. Did a quick measure and I'm at 29.5" exactly.

I'll probably go the rest of the year trimming, but I'm not considering myself as part of the challenge anymore. Good luck everyone!

Lize
July 25th, 2011, 02:14 AM
I have been at an aikido seminar (training camp) for a week. My hair has really been bothering me. The ends are uneven and doesn't look good in my opinion. They are also rather thin from layering. (And maybe from shedding too.) All week I have had bad cutting urges. Fortunately no oppertunity to trim. :) There were a couple of people there with really nice virgin hair to make it even worse for me. I really want that virgin one length hair so bad! I was toying with the thought of cutting back to right above APL where I would have one length hair except for the bangs I am growing out which haven't reached shoulders yet.

But I have been good. During the seminar I used a lot of coconut oil in my hair at all times. I kept it in double braids during practice as that is the most comfortable and protective style at the moment. I have CO washed and detangeled carefully adding coconut oil to the length before every detangeling session. (The hair gets really roughed up by Aikido and we trained 4-5 hours a day.) I even brought my satin pillow case.

When I got home I shampooed with SLS cause my hair felt quite greasy after a week of training and oiling and CO washing with reeeeaaally bad water pressure. Then added my favorite hair treatment (Professional Hair Care, the purple one without cones.) and rinsed well. After the wash my hair was sleek and wonderful and when I looked at the back it looked so long! So I am got out of my trimming urges once again. I think it's going to take a lot for me to trim this year cause I feel quite responsible towards this thread, which is a really good thing. :D

When I get to trim in January I will probably start with 1/2 an inch on the length and take maybe 1/4 of an inch off the layers and the growing out bangs which are shaped like face framing layers. Then my plan is to cut small amounts, like 1/2 inch as needed off the length and try to leave the growing out bangs and layers as much as possible without trims.

I will go back to regular trimming after this because I will have gotten some length after this challenge. After I get to tailbone with regular trims I will start to maintain there to thicken up and get my virgin color. I doubt that I will grow my hair longer than TB actually.

So what are your long term plans? Which goals do you have after this challenge?

Becky9679
July 25th, 2011, 10:11 AM

My trimming urge comes and goes. At the moment it's very gone, I'm edging bit by tiny frustrating bit towards BSL and I really cannot wait until I get there so there is no desire in me to trim at all. I'm maybe a half inch from the top of BSL so I imagine I will pass BSL within 2-3 months.

By the end of this challenge I should probably be somewhere between BSL and waist. I am also growing out layers but ideally I would like to wait until I reach waist before trimming and maintain at waist until all the layers are gone and the ends thickened up. However I may give myself a small trim in January 2012 if I decide my ends need it.

Happily at the moment they're in excellent condition with no splits, I've had no trims since November 2010 and I've not even had to S&D yet! :cheese:

mustpannkook
July 25th, 2011, 11:51 AM
So far I have just S&D-d. And I have an urge to trim because my ends are still very dry. But man, the growth is great! Everyone whom I haven't seen for a while say "wow, your hair is so long now". Long, right...

McFearless
July 25th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I'm out. I chopped off all of my hair today at home by myself. From waist to shoulder. I just had to get rid of my permanently straight length and damaged hair. Its so weird to be a 100&#37; curly again. Its really soft too:D I was expecting to feel really bad about losing so much length but cutting off disgusting damaged hair only makes me happy to be free from it. I still have many layers and I cut them in to get rid of all the damage, but the space between the layers is much smaller than it used to be. I have severe triangle head. Its a bit scary to look at, honestly. My hair is one huge circle. I don't think I'll trim for a couple of years, I take very good care of it. Good luck to everyone and I'll still be cheering you guys on :)

McFearless
July 25th, 2011, 07:47 PM
This made me laugh!

Lol I'm like that with many things. Maybe you should ask someone to do the same? Your bangs can finally grow out :)

Kathie
July 25th, 2011, 07:59 PM

I'm planning on a small trim when I reach the one year mark. And then I'm not sure... I might try again for another year, which would fast track my goal for waist length hair. Once there I think I might trim regularly again.

jaine
July 25th, 2011, 08:24 PM

I might push my luck and see if I can go a 2nd year without trimming. I've only seen (and trimmed off) 1 split end so far, even though I looked hard to find others. And my shape isn't too bad ... a little bit awkward with some layers below shoulder and some layers above, but length would fix that.

Lize
July 26th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I might push my luck and see if I can go a 2nd year without trimming. I've only seen (and trimmed off) 1 split end so far, even though I looked hard to find others. And my shape isn't too bad ... a little bit awkward with some layers below shoulder and some layers above, but length would fix that.

Nice! It sounds like your hair is in great condition! :)

jackgirl
July 27th, 2011, 03:58 AM
I'm not sure what my plan is. Im just not cutting while I decide! I wanted to grow to bsl and then maintain there and cut out all the dye gradually, but I've a feeling I'll want to grow longer when I get there! I'm not sure it will really suit me much longer than that as it's quite fine and I'm only 5'2" so it might make me look even shorter!

mallorykay13
July 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I know I'm a little late on this boat but I'm joining. I haven't trimmed yet!

Lize
July 28th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I know I'm a little late on this boat but I'm joining. I haven't trimmed yet!

Fantastic! Welcome. :)

kyandii
July 28th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Hmm, I'm tempted to join you all. I'm still ujndecided though. Need to kill this urge to get it cut first though.

Now I've stopped bleaching blonde, I don't need to go hairdressers every month.

Lize
July 30th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Gaaaaah! I wanna trim my hair so badly! I have just looked at some albums and seen pictures of wonderful blunt hemlines and one length hair. It's not like I would chop back to one length, which would be above shoulder length on me if I count the growing out bangs. Otherwise shortest layers are above APL. NO! This time I am going to trim gradually, only 1/2 an inch at the time so I can gain length at the same time.

My ends are quite grabby and are beginning to look a bit uneven after these seven months of not trimming. I so wanna even up and get some bluntness and thickness for my hemline...

BUT! Now I have gotten through seven months. Everybody we have gotten through seven months! :cheer: That is past half way, and longer than I have ever gone between trims since joining LHC I dare say. I soooooo badly want to prove to myself that I can do this! And I want to get even more length before starting to thicken up hemline and getting rid of highlights and layers.

I am not going to trim, I am not going to trim, I am not going to trim, I am not going to trim!

I'm going to try to just oil it and bun it and get on with my studying.

I hope everyone is doing well! :flower: I needed to rant a bit.

IanB
July 30th, 2011, 04:08 AM
It's now 6 months since my last trim, and still no scissors in sight!http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=109039&albumid=8063&dl=1312020309&thumb=1

Misty'sMess
July 30th, 2011, 04:27 AM
I haven't had mine trimmed this years either, except for micro-trims. If I see a split end I have to cut it off! I think that is really helping keeping my hair healthy and hopeful I wouldn't have to go to the hairdressers for ages to come. :)

tgagurl27
July 30th, 2011, 06:06 AM
yup we can do this!!! :D I really wanted to get a haircut today too. I was fiddling with it all day and cursing how it was so slow and growing and thinking it was looking yellow and dry and crap.. haha I was just having a bad day.. But then I thought no I need to persist because I am also in the "waist length by christmas thread" and I can afford to cut any length off if I want to reach this goal.. So keep it up everyone if your in a funk with your hair go and buy a new hair accessorie or clip.. that usually helps for me (but don't do it everyday or you'll be broke haha)

Sundial
July 30th, 2011, 09:23 AM
:cheer: sending a cheer leader to offer some encouragement!

I dropped out of the challenge a couple of months ago but I still like coming in here to check out everyone's progress. You're getting to the finishing line soon so hang in there! Do some clarifying and a deep treatment when you feel disgruntled with your hair. It really helps! DTs always help me to stretch my trims because I usually mistakenly think that my ends are not salvageable when in fact they were merely parched

grrlshapedthing
July 30th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I'm still in and have evaluated my hair regime and have decided to quit dyeing my hair also... I will probably use henna but that means giving up my dream colour...

kdaniels8811
July 30th, 2011, 07:05 PM
No trims for me - I am growing out from bald due to chemo, I am healthy again and growing my hair - yay! Since it is the same length all over, the longest length is touching my shoulders. It looks like a 80's perm/shag, anyone remember those? It came in super curly, I am hoping the length pulls some of the curl out when it gets longer. Now, Kimberly's defrizz spray is my best friend.

So it is going to mullet and I will not cut, not even just a trim, I want to bun my hair too badly to cut it! Once it is long enough to bun, no one will see the various lengths anyway. So my hair has not been touched with scissors since it fell out, which would be January of 2010.

whitestiletto
July 30th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I'm still in and have evaluated my hair regime and have decided to quit dyeing my hair also... I will probably use henna but that means giving up my dream colour...

My dream texture is more important to me than my dream color. I can approximate it with henna, and probably using the right level of darkness will look more normal on my skin... I touch the new roots growing out, and the difference between that and my dyed layers is like the difference between velvet and burlap.

:cool: No trims since I joined LHC!

Lize
July 31st, 2011, 03:19 AM
:cheer: sending a cheer leader to offer some encouragement!

I dropped out of the challenge a couple of months ago but I still like coming in here to check out everyone's progress. You're getting to the finishing line soon so hang in there! Do some clarifying and a deep treatment when you feel disgruntled with your hair. It really helps! DTs always help me to stretch my trims because I usually mistakenly think that my ends are not salvageable when in fact they were merely parched

Thank you for the encouragement! It's very nice to you to come back to give it. I think you are very right about DTs. For me sometimes it's enough to just wash my hair to feel a million times better about it. And maybe some S&D and an extra oiling.

No trims for me - I am growing out from bald due to chemo, I am healthy again and growing my hair - yay! Since it is the same length all over, the longest length is touching my shoulders. It looks like a 80's perm/shag, anyone remember those? It came in super curly, I am hoping the length pulls some of the curl out when it gets longer. Now, Kimberly's defrizz spray is my best friend.

So it is going to mullet and I will not cut, not even just a trim, I want to bun my hair too badly to cut it! Once it is long enough to bun, no one will see the various lengths anyway. So my hair has not been touched with scissors since it fell out, which would be January of 2010.

Yay for being healthy! :) That's the most important thing. Good luck on your hair growing journey, and welcome to the challenge!

jackgirl
July 31st, 2011, 10:09 AM
Yay I've gained another half inch :) I've really got into this now and over my trimming OCD, every time my ends feel scruffy I realise it's because they need oil not scissors. Finally I feel like I'm being rewarded :D

PraiseCheeses
July 31st, 2011, 11:59 AM
I must confess - I'm out. :( I trimmed a bit more than 1/4 inch last night.

It's been nine months and 6 inches since my last trim.

Even after clarifying and deep treatments (which helped initially - like for a day or so), I still have heat and mechanical damage in the last couple inches, and my hair has been tangling and becoming full of right angle bends and stretched hairs.

Even though not all the dry, crunchy ends are gone, it's honestly much better. I'd rather bow out of the challenge now than keep breaking hairs and have to cut several inches at the end of the year. Besides, I'm almost brushing BSL, and once I get there I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to go shorter! :p

I think my new trimming policy will be a cm every three months, at least until the damage is gone/less of a threat.

Best of luck to the rest of you on your no-trimming growth journey! :flower:

jaine
July 31st, 2011, 02:49 PM
I think my ends need some preventive maintenance. They're not split yet - they're just lighter than the rest of my hair. So I feel like they're *starting* to get damaged.

I think I might get some oil to leave in my hair. I remember my hair used to like apricot kernel oil - the only oil that didn't make my hair stringy - is that a good oil for the health of your ends?

Oiling and then washing out the oil has always puzzled me - I mean, isn't it gone from your hair after it's washed out? So what is the purpose of that? But leaving oil in my hair makes sense to me.

BlkPraiseAngel
July 31st, 2011, 03:20 PM
I'm too late for this but considering I haven't trim in years (and have no plans to in the future) I'll watch this thread.

jaine
July 31st, 2011, 08:39 PM
I realized today that I feel really happy when I see a big clump of shed hairs in my brush...don't throw things at me for saying that! :) But when I see a lot of shed hairs it almost feels like my hair is morphing into something softer and more fairytale-like, losing all of the coarse old hairs and leaving the soft uncut hairs behind. Even though it's not anywhere close to "fairytale ends" yet. I like fairytale ends on myself.

Kathie
July 31st, 2011, 11:09 PM
Oiling and then washing out the oil has always puzzled me - I mean, isn't it gone from your hair after it's washed out? So what is the purpose of that? But leaving oil in my hair makes sense to me.

Oils can offer a bit of protection against damage from shampoo and water. Especially the oils that can penetrate into the hair shaft:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12715094

Yeesha
August 1st, 2011, 08:14 AM
The urge to trim... it kills me... xD

Now it's nearly exactly one year after my last trim and 5 months to go for "not trimming in 2011". It starts do get hard. But I think I'll do it. :)
I should do some S&D soon, as my ends don't look too good (but not that bad either).

How does your journey go?

Lize
August 3rd, 2011, 02:46 AM
I am having serious trimming thoughts right now. My ends are staring to get a bit too thin looking for my taste. Layers and bleach have started to make this really hard. I'm afraid I might be out of this challenge pretty soon. Maybe it's time I start my regular trimming regime. I have reached BSL now, so my hair is beginning to feel long. But I don't like the appearance of it at all.

Ends are getting too thin and grabby. I have one thick layer at right above APL and my old bangs which are now face framing layers above shoulder length. The layers are really starting to look ratty. They make my whole head of hair look rattier. My hair is so much better at one length. I am not saying I will cut back to one length of course. What I am talking about now is starting to trim 1/2 an inch or so when I feel it's needed.

I am not sure what to do, but I am leaning towards a trim in the near future.

freckles
August 3rd, 2011, 04:08 AM
Good luck with people struggling with grabby ends. Unfortunately, I'm right there with you! I'm going to S&D some more today, but when this challenge is over I will have a decent trim. I REALLY REALLY want to make it to the end of the challenge though!

Anyway, I'm late for starting a two year anniversary thread (just keep forgetting to take photos!) so maybe that will cheer me up ...

5 months to go everybody ... good luck ...

Lize
August 3rd, 2011, 04:32 AM
I'm sorry to say you guys that I am out. I had a 1/2 inch trim, which actually feels like more because there's a huge difference in my hair. Maybe I was too optimistic thinking I could go a whole year, since my hair was in the state it was in the beginning. Anyway, I'm happy I made it through seven months! :)

Good luck to you all who are still in!

skaempfer
August 3rd, 2011, 07:51 AM
I'm sorry to say you guys that I am out. I had a 1/2 inch trim, which actually feels like more because there's a huge difference in my hair. Maybe I was too optimistic thinking I could go a whole year, since my hair was in the state it was in the beginning. Anyway, I'm happy I made it through seven months! :)

*sniff sniff!*
I'm sorry to see you go, but I'm glad you're happy with your hair.
I'm still hanging on (sorry, I was so busy at the beginning of July I forgot to post my monthly picture!) but it's feeling a little ratty. I think I'll make it, though, but we'll see! Hope to post my August picture, just as soon as I find my stripy jumper! :laugh:

GrowingGlory
August 3rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
Still no cuts since Oct. 2010. Hair is in great shape since I've found Desert Essence products. Why waste time and money, and replace those natural terminations with scissor frayed ends?

Signe
August 3rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
I'm out. Microtrimmed today because I came to the conclusion that my thick, fine hair is wayyyyyy too much of a pain to thoroughly s&d....doesn't mean I will stop s&d....just that it makes so little impact, especially during these summer months when i am out swimming and playing all the time!
Also, I looked through the maintaining/microtrims thread and decided that I would rather take a wee bit longer to grow and have it super thick at the bottom.
It has been since Nov 2010 since I last trimmed and I am happy with that. It is the longest I have ever gone and has taught me a few things about how resilient my hair can be. I think I will try to ride out the rest of the year with no trims now that I know what my hair is capable of. Happy no-trimming everyone!!!

Mountaingrrl
August 3rd, 2011, 10:37 PM
Still in. I think my wurls and curls help hide any uneven growth. That and I'm wearing my hair up a lot in the extreme heat we've been having most of the summer.

Avital88
August 4th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I also came to the conclusion that a whole year without trims will never work for me,i just need to get rid of the 0.2inch every few months in order to avoid tangles and messy hair.The longest i ever was without a trim was 9 months and it looked like a ratnest:)

jaine
August 4th, 2011, 06:21 PM

Oh no ... our fearless leader has left us!! :o

I'm glad you're happy with your trim though!

I'm still in and planning to stay in. I saw at least 1 split and 2 bent ends in my hair yesterday, but I didn't have anything with me to trim them. Then I had trouble finding them when I was in different lighting with scissors at the ready. I assume they're still there and I'll find them eventually.

I thought about getting a trim, but ... 99.99999% of my ends look good to me so S&D is probably fine for now.

elbow chic
August 4th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I'm still in, too! I'm fascinated by the beginnings of fairy-tale ends it's developing.

My ends feel slightly "rougher" but really, I think that's just because they aren't all one length anymore, and so now I can feel the individual hairs terminating all along the last inch of hair, if that makes sense. I look for splits from time to time but seldom find anything.

Hang in there people, we're over halfway through!

sanfen
August 4th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I'm still in! :) Ends are a little dry and looking a bit ragged, but I'm not trimming til at least Dec- probably Jan.

I haven't had a true "cut" since Dec '09. I did trim the tiniest points back in Jan this year - I had to, they looked ridiculous as I was growing a layered cut.

Anyway, my hair is BSL now although I haven't measured in a while. I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the next few months.

My niece is getting married next June and I'd like waist length by then. She's having a big fancy wedding and I want to flip it around when I'm dancing. :waltz:

dmarie63
August 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM
my hair is getting a bit coarse at the ends... I guess it's finally long enough to start conditioning the ends.

The coarseness is really starting to make me want a trim, but I love all the growth I've seen the last few months! But I also want my hair to look nice when meeting new people on a new campus in september!

Ugh, torn!

McFearless
August 4th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I think my ends need some preventive maintenance. They're not split yet - they're just lighter than the rest of my hair. So I feel like they're *starting* to get damaged.

I think I might get some oil to leave in my hair. I remember my hair used to like apricot kernel oil - the only oil that didn't make my hair stringy - is that a good oil for the health of your ends?

People oil as a pre-wash treatment because the oil creates a buffer between the hair and shampoo. It prevents the ends from drying out, like the CWC method.

Are your ends lightening because of the sun? Many people like apricot kernel oil and if it works for you thats great. :)

Lize
August 5th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Oh no ... our fearless leader has left us!! :o

I'm glad you're happy with your trim though!

I'm still in and planning to stay in. I saw at least 1 split and 2 bent ends in my hair yesterday, but I didn't have anything with me to trim them. Then I had trouble finding them when I was in different lighting with scissors at the ready. I assume they're still there and I'll find them eventually.

I thought about getting a trim, but ... 99.99999% of my ends look good to me so S&D is probably fine for now.

Haha! :D I will probably check in from now and then to encourage you guys! I'm glad that it's going well for you. :)

Yay for everyone who are still in! :cheer: You have passed seven months now!

flowerlovelong
August 6th, 2011, 01:02 PM
At my 2 year anniversary now! It is so tempting to trim now but I'll try to make it till Jan. or Feb.

IanB
August 6th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Into another month away from the dreaded trim!
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=109769&albumid=8063&dl=1312629244&thumb=1

jaine
August 6th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Anyone want to share progress pics so far?

Here's mine

December 2010 ... this was a professional blowout on the day of my haircut:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=91830&albumid=6736&dl=1293688064&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=91830)

August 2011 ... in a somewhat more natural state:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=109812&albumid=6736&dl=1312689786&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=109812)

(click for bigger versions if you want)

pixiestar
August 6th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Here's mine so far. I haven't had a cut since nov 2010, but fist pic in April 2011 (not long after joining here) Blowfried and natural colour.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l514/pixiestar13/Hair%20Length/IMG_2860.jpg

2nd pic last weekend
Airdried and henna gloss

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l514/pixiestar13/Hair%20Length/IMG_3732.jpg

Lize
August 7th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Great progress you guys! :)

jaine - I adore your texture and your volume! Curious to see what your hair will look like longer.

Kathie
August 8th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Aww- progress pics :D I've been holding out since my last trim was at the end of march- so I'm only coming up to 5 months without a trim. But I'm so happy with the progress I have to share!
Here is April 1st, a week or so after the cut, and Aug 1st.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5554&pictureid=99578http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5554&pictureid=109177

tmgianna
August 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM
this is probably answered elsewhere (i'm still learning my way around the forum), but: are trims bad for your hair? or do they just slow down your growth (since it's being cut)?
thanks!

Fairy tale
August 8th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I am pretty new to this...why is it good not to trim your hair? I always thought it was necessary. Do you need to start with no split ends? What is S&D and how do you keep your ends healthy?

McFearless
August 8th, 2011, 03:56 PM
this is probably answered elsewhere (i'm still learning my way around the forum), but: are trims bad for your hair? or do they just slow down your growth (since it's being cut)?
thanks!

Trims are not bad for the hair. People trim to get rid of damage, even up their hemline, to maintain a length or style, etc. Since you are cutting the hair you will have slightly less length than you would if you didn't trim, but getting rid of splits is always worth it.

I am pretty new to this...why is it good not to trim your hair? I always thought it was necessary. Do you need to start with no split ends? What is S&D and how do you keep your ends healthy?

Well this thread is for people who don't want to trim for a whole year. Its a challenge for those who are impulsive cutters and can't stop trimming their hair. You're right trimming is necessary if you have breakage or splits that travel up and cause tangles and even more breakage.
S&D is when you go through single strands of hair and trim splits one at a time. That way you can keep your length but get rid of damage. People keep their ends healthy in different ways. I wear my hair in updos because its easier for me and it keeps my curls from getting tangled. I use olive oil as a leave-in conditioner on my ends to keep them soft.

Honestwitness
August 8th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'm beginning to lose my resolve for no trims in 2011. Look at this length pic I took today. If you were me, would you break down and trim? If so, how much? I've just reached waist lengthfor the first time in my life and I'm just now able to get hair sticks to stay in. I don't have any splits at all. I just believe I have age-related thinning. I'm 61.5. What do you think?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3851&pictureid=109928

lillylonghair
August 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I'm beginning to lose my resolve for no trims in 2011. Look at this length pic I took today. If you were me, would you break down and trim? If so, how much? I've just reached waist lengthfor the first time in my life and I'm just now able to get hair sticks to stay in. I don't have any splits at all. I just believe I have age-related thinning. I'm 61.5. What do you think?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3851&pictureid=109928

No keep going!!!! I hope my hair looks like that once I go all the way white or grey:)

I'd say finish out the year and then maybe if you'd like to trim and maintain the length to thicken up the hemline do that. If that makes sense...

lillylonghair
August 8th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Still going strong here!!!! I FINALLY reached BSL. So I am on my way to waist. I also started monistat treatments for more growth about 2 weeks ago. My grown out blunt bangs look like total sh*t thought:( I basically wear soft headbands and bobby pins everyday. But I am holding fast to no trims b/c I want to get them to my cheekbones and then have them blended in for a romantic look for updos.

Cirafly24
August 8th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Progress:

January 2011- 38.75":
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/DragonflyWings/DSCF1739-1.jpg

August 2011- 42":
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/DragonflyWings/080711.jpg

My backside is also a bit smaller ;)

silverjen
August 8th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I'm beginning to lose my resolve for no trims in 2011. Look at this length pic I took today. If you were me, would you break down and trim? If so, how much?

Nope, I wouldn't trim. I've come to think that fairytale ends are really beautiful, and look at yours! Gorgeous!

(I always want to spell it "fairytail", hee.)

Honestwitness
August 8th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks, lilylonghair and smilinjen! You've helped me see my hair in a whole new "light." *hee* *hee* I guess you could call my sparse ends "fairytale light."

Kathie
August 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM

I've been surprised at how healthy my ends still are after so long without a trim. I think the need to trim can be a misconception. Its true you do need to look after your ends a little more than you might be use too- but the extra length is worth the trouble. To look after my ends I keep my hair in protective updos, I also oil them one or twice a day to keep them soft and moisturized.

pixiestar
August 9th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Honestwitness your hair is amazing, I don't think you need to trim at all:D I would keep going till the end of the year and assess again then:D

Honestwitness
August 9th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Pixiestar. I really appreciate the affirmation.

alyanna
August 10th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I trimmed!!!

Sorry, will have to withdraw from the challenge, just as quickly as I joined :o

I didn't really need the trim, my ends were fairly healthy, but I just couldn't STAND my layers anymore. Plus the very ends of my hair were so much blonder than the rest. I felt "unkept".

But even tough I went for a big chop that would take me to just past chin (I'm close to APL now), my stylist ended up giving me a small trim instead. I'm puzzled by this rare and unusual behavior :p

But I guess I'm satisfied. I wonder if I'll stop trimming for a while? Maybe I'll do one more to get rid of the remaining 2 layers and dye, then go no trimming for 2012.

Anyway, good luck to all of you! Hang in there!

curlycrown
August 12th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Im proud to say that I have not trimmed since January!!!! This is usually hard for me but not trimming only makes me treat my hair better to prevent splits and knots. I love this thread!

metricfuture
August 12th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Im proud to say that I have not trimmed since January!!!! This is usually hard for me but not trimming only makes me treat my hair better to prevent splits and knots. I love this thread!

I think that's why it seems to be working so well for me, too. I can't fall back on the idea that I can just trim off the damage, making me much better at preventing it in the first place.

jaine
August 12th, 2011, 02:03 PM

Me either ... no trims since December :D

I think I'll keep going. My trimming urges are few and far between and usually a side effect of wonky bun waves. The urge seems to go away the next time I wash it and let it dry curly.

lilravendark
August 12th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I did an S&D the other week that turned into an accidental trim I think I'm going to have to get someone to even out the ends now, I went over board and chopped off a few chunks before I could stop myself -_- My hair is still full of splits anyway :P

McFearless
August 12th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Great progress Kathie, Cirafly24 and Honestwitness! Keep going!

Kelikea
August 12th, 2011, 07:02 PM
The last "cut" I got was in Dec. 2010. I want to go at least until Dec 2011 before trimming again. I did however, cut just my bangs this spring. Nothing but S&D since then and no trims the rest of 2011! I want to see how long I can get!

teal
August 12th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Ooh ooh, can I join the club late?? My last trim was in May 2010! Since I joined LHC I've only done a couple of S&D missions... is S&D ok?

citadel
August 12th, 2011, 09:12 PM
My hair was practically elbow length right after my wedding last year, but right after the occasion, I chopped it off to above shoulder length. It's now grown to right under my chest (er, I'm pretty small so...yeah) and I haven't trimmed it yet. I don't plan to, either, until it's back to elbow-length or longer.

KLin
August 12th, 2011, 10:27 PM
My hair is growing slowly, and I have S&D a few times, but I am keeping it up and out of my way. Hope to be a solid hip by years end. Have not cut this year.

Varney
August 14th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I'm feeling an urge to cut right now since my hair feels a bit dryer in the ends. But I think I might just need to clarify. I've been using shampoo bars together with a conditioner from Lush that contains lanolin, which I think has caused build up.

I'll buy a SLS-shampoo tomorrow and see if it gets better. I've already tried a heavy oiling and a moisturizing hair mask but it didn't seem to improve the condition of my hair.

firicia
August 14th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I just realized I have gone from Jan-August with no trims!:cheese:

Kathie
August 14th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I was trimming my bangs/fringe and the scissors somehow dusted the ends :o So I’m out. But, this challenge has been great! I’ve gone 5 months without a trim, which is the longest I’ve gone as far as I can remember. I’ll probably dust again in 5 months time or so. At least I’ve learnt that I don’t need to trim all that often.

freckles
August 17th, 2011, 05:35 AM
I'm still in! I have to say, the urge to trim is getting fairly strong ... but I think I can resist! It's only a few more months, after all.

I wish I could find my measuring tape so I would know if I was making progress. :lol: Still, I feel closer to goal (tailbone). I think I'm around 1" from BCL at the VERY VERY tips, just as an estimate.

bushy
August 17th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I will trim in October and then no more for a year. First time ever.

Theobroma
August 17th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I'm still in, unless you count the thing I did a few months ago that was barely even a microtrim. I measured before and after and it didn't even cost me any length measurable, but evened out some of the raggedness of my extreme ends.

Still planning not to trim until January, though I'm expecting to be at solid hip before then.

Lippytoes
August 18th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I still haven't felt the urge to trim. Yaaay! I think the fact that my hair is wavy helps - I can't really see how uneven my ends are (although I know that one side seems to be longer than the other). Also, they're starting to fairytale, which also helps. I love fairytale ends.

IanB
August 18th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Still on target, Still no trims!

Ligeia_13
August 18th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I wish I could participate but my hair just doesn't do well. Even a month after a trim, it looks like hell and I can only hold my self back for a few months :p A year with no trims would probably mean me having to cut like 2 inches of in the end. Which kind of defeats the object of no trims.

elbow chic
August 18th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I'm still in, too! Honestwitness and Cirafly, you both look great. Love the progress, Cirafly. :D

Had some urges to trim last month but they've abated. I've been stretching washes more than usual lately and I think that actually tends to make my ends feel drier and crispier than they really are. Weird. As soon as I wash it, they feel nice again.

elbow chic
August 18th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I still haven't felt the urge to trim. Yaaay! I think the fact that my hair is wavy helps - I can't really see how uneven my ends are (although I know that one side seems to be longer than the other). Also, they're starting to fairytale, which also helps. I love fairytale ends.

haha, yeah, I think waviness can hide a multitude of sins. :D

prettykitty
August 18th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I trimmed :(
It was my first trim, and it was really only a quarter of an inch off the ends of the very longest layers, but yeah, still a trim.
Also my very first self trim, which I'm happy about, but I guess that means I'm out for now.

Lippytoes
August 19th, 2011, 01:25 PM
haha, yeah, I think waviness can hide a multitude of sins. :D

Ohyeah. :D It can be very beneficial!

GrowingGlory
August 19th, 2011, 05:47 PM
No cuts since Oct.31, 2010. Hair and self are just fine. Cost of Mason Pearson BBB will be covered by the end of this month.

kdaniels8811
August 19th, 2011, 07:54 PM
No trimming at all since my hair started growing a year ago August. I am in full mullet - or maybe half mullet? Since the longest hair is just touching my shoulder? I am using coconut oil to keep the ends soft and as soon as it is long enough, will revert back to catnip soaks to prevent split ends. But no cutting or trims for me!

Lize
August 21st, 2011, 02:11 AM
I'm here to offer some encouragement. :) To all of you who have not trimmed: Great job!! You can make it! :cheer: :cheese:

I feel like even though I did not complete the challenge and had a half inch trim, this challenge has gotten me out of my constant trimming urges. Maybe I removed the feeling that I have to trim all the time. I also realized a little goes a long way and that half inch made a huuuuge difference. That means it may not be necessary for me to chop off a lot every time I feel my hair looks awful. I will try to go as long as possible again before my next trim. Maybe I'll go until January with you.

jackgirl
August 21st, 2011, 04:57 AM
Although I was never officially in this challenge as I found it too late, I do find it inspiring to come and have a look at the comments every time I feel the urge to trim. I recently had a small snip which barely counts, to me, though it would I imagine to some of you. I parted my hair down the centre back, and then leaning to the side slightly, combed it straight and literally snipped of some of the fuzzy bits that were longer than the majority of my hair. So it looks much tidier and thicker at the ends now, so I'm happy, though I have noticed more splits recently both before I did that and after. I think it might be something to do with my lack of coconut oil applications recently and that I seem to have started wearing it down in bed. I think the nearer I get to my goal length the less fussed I am about having to trim and maintain it every few months, I'd rather it was longish and tidy than just keep growing it and having it all straggly, which it tends to do!

Dogbones
August 21st, 2011, 04:05 PM
Hi, can I join:D
I've not had a hair cut since nov last year. Started at a chin length bob, now measures 17 3/4 inches. Wish it would grow faster though:D Heres a current pic

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l514/pixiestar13/Hair%20Length/IMG_3339.jpg

Sorry its so big.

Gosh, how do you cut your hair like that..how do you do it?

Avital88
August 21st, 2011, 04:20 PM
for everyone who is still in, all my respect! i trimmed 5 times already this year! haha but for now im planning on not trimming for at least the rest of 2011.. we'll see how it goes.

pixiestar
August 21st, 2011, 11:20 PM
Gosh, how do you cut your hair like that..how do you do it?

Hi Dogbones:D I've not had a cut since Nov last year (cut at a salon) And only been doing s&d since then:D