PDA

View Full Version : No trims in 2011 challenge!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

OperaTeacherMom
April 30th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Haven't posted here in a bit, but I'm still going strong on the no trim challenge! I haven't had a full trim since May of 2010, just S&D, so I'm coming up on 1 year of no trimming, as well as my 1 year anniversary here. I'm holding off on posting any length shots til then, in fact I haven't taken one or even measured in a while. Yay for benign neglect while focusing on other things like health and getting in shape!

Mrspuddinhead
April 30th, 2011, 11:56 AM
It's not too late, and you're in good company! I just joined a couple of weeks ago myself.

Kathie and Mountaingrrl thank you so much.

I'm happy to report that my husband measured my hair in at 22", APL. Next stop BSL which measures in at 27". My hair grows at a normal 1/2" so I'm hoping by Sept. I will remeasure then. Happy growing all.

jenwexler
April 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I'm either going to stick it out til the end of the year or cut in October, which would be one year no trims for me. I can't decide. My ends are shaggy but my layers make it a little harder to notice.

Shicurls
May 3rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
I haven't been on here in awhile, but I caved! Oh dear!! I went and got a trim/cut, and I loved my hair again. So, I'm out of this challenge, oh well. Good luck to you all!!

lajsa
May 4th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I'm in the challenge, but I'm having problems. The ends of my hair is the part that is the worst off; the rest is pretty silky and nice, but the ends (not just the tips, maybe 20 cm or so) feel like straw. It's because that part of it has suffered through many dyes many times, and now it feels porous and dry. I still cling to my promise not to trim for the rest of the year as long as I can, but I actually think I need to trim it just a little to make it through the rest of the year. I have so many split ends I can't even S&D them all; I'll thumb a little on my no-trimming policy and trim a few millimetres off the very ends so that I can get rid of most of the splits. After that, I'll make an effort to protect the fragile parts better. I'm terrified of the splits going further up the hair shafts; I really don't want the nicer parts of my mane to be ruined as well!

So, I'll cheat a little. But I'd rather cheat than walk around feeling paranoid about all those splits. And S&D would take a week; almost every single hair has a white spot at the end. :( And I haven't trimmed anything at all since last year, and I've reached waist and all that. I think I deserve a quick sweep with the scissors :p

jenwexler
May 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Did you do search and destroy?

freckles
May 4th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I'm in the challenge, but I'm having problems. The ends of my hair is the part that is the worst off; the rest is pretty silky and nice, but the ends (not just the tips, maybe 20 cm or so) feel like straw. It's because that part of it has suffered through many dyes many times, and now it feels porous and dry. I still cling to my promise not to trim for the rest of the year as long as I can, but I actually think I need to trim it just a little to make it through the rest of the year. I have so many split ends I can't even S&D them all; I'll thumb a little on my no-trimming policy and trim a few millimetres off the very ends so that I can get rid of most of the splits. After that, I'll make an effort to protect the fragile parts better. I'm terrified of the splits going further up the hair shafts; I really don't want the nicer parts of my mane to be ruined as well!

So, I'll cheat a little. But I'd rather cheat than walk around feeling paranoid about all those splits. And S&D would take a week; almost every single hair has a white spot at the end. :( And I haven't trimmed anything at all since last year, and I've reached waist and all that. I think I deserve a quick sweep with the scissors :p

I'm feeling a bit like this right now. I always have lots of split ends, but I've been especially down about them for the last few days. The last 5" or so of my hair is just all splits. :( I have been doing S&D like crazy, but like always, it barely makes a dent. Also, mine isn't obviously attributable to any one kind of damage (never been much of a heatstyler, at most occasional blowdrying. and no dye for around 8 years.) -- it's just general wear-and tear, so therefore, I don't know that I *can* get to this length with it in any better condition. If I knew the splits wouldn't recur, I'd be tempted to chop 5 inches off right now, but I'm not willing to take the risk of chopping for *nothing*.

I think if trimming is what's best for your hair and your peace of mind, it's not worth ruining that for what is essentially meant to be a fun 'challenge'! Do what you need to do. :) Despite my hair woes, I'm going to try to stick it out. I know I could trim regularly and see if it helped, BUT -- I'm only about 5 inches from my ultimate goal of tailbone, and I'd *much* rather just wait till I get there and then maintain, and hopefully have the same effect as trimming now would.

I know what you mean by every-end-is-a-white-dot. I'm TRYING not to look at my ends in sunlight, when it's most obvious, but it's difficult! :)

Kathie
May 4th, 2011, 01:32 PM

You could always trim and then join us again! Some in this thread have only joined within the last month or so, including myself.

Monkie
May 4th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I can finally get my whole mullet in to a ponytail without too much assistance. Yay. So glad I haven't trimmed yet.

-j-
May 5th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I´m having some trouble, too.
Found a couple of splits. I simply don´t have time to take care of my hair the way I´d like to.

I´m not trimming though! Not even concidering!

nantang
May 5th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Well, the month of May marks one year since I decided to never again let scissors near my hair until I reach classic length (~7 years).

So that's 16 total months since I last had any trim of any sort. Here's to another 6 years of trimless hair love'n!

Yay for hardly any split ends :D

Shicurls
May 5th, 2011, 11:43 AM
You could always trim and then join us again! Some in this thread have only joined within the last month or so, including myself.

Wait, then does that mean I can get back in the game? Because I would love to actually follow through on a challenge......

Signe
May 5th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Just thought I'd post because I'm around the 6 month marker now (had my last trim in November) and not even feeling a need for a trim. :p
I always have split ends so I s&d whenever I feel like it, but my hemline has held up really well...my siggy is from a month ago and the hemline is the same.

Why did I never think of not trimming before??? Soooo many inches on the salon floor for nowt...:rolleyes:

Becky9679
May 5th, 2011, 12:29 PM
6 months since my last trim, no splits in evidence!

Muse
May 5th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Everytime I read this thread I feel like I want to trim. :no: :lala:

jaine
May 5th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Wait, then does that mean I can get back in the game? Because I would love to actually follow through on a challenge......

I think you can jump right back in!

Shicurls
May 5th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Yay! My cut/trim was in March, so ya for 2 months down! :)

skaempfer
May 6th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Hi gang. I haven't been around much because it's spring ( :bounce::blossom::bounce: )
and the garden is trying to grow weeds. I've just posted my May picture, though, so if you ignore the stringiness due to the fact that I should have waited more for it to dry, you can see the progress!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6320&pictureid=92169

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6320&pictureid=102088

:cheese::bottomsup::cheese:

Soooooooooooooooo:
Don't do it! Put the scissors down and be patient!

skaempfer
May 6th, 2011, 05:10 AM
By the way, I have no idea why those are showing up as links, not pictures; I've posted pictures before in (I thought!) exactly the same way and it worked, sooo... :confused:

Shicurls
May 6th, 2011, 08:39 AM
skaempfer that is excellent progress! Congratulations!!

Mírien
May 7th, 2011, 12:15 AM
I am officially out of this challenge. :( Yesterday I was so depressed that I took the scissors and gave myself a self-trim. I was a bit dissatisfied with my ends. However, I checked the cut hair and there were hardly any splits. :) But still I needed it as I want to thicken up my hemline a bit. :rolleyes: And it was barely an inch so I can regrow it in two months. :D
Good luck with the challenge!:bounce:

Kathie
May 7th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Everytime I read this thread I feel like I want to trim. :no: :lala:
Thats funny! I would of thought it would have the opposite effect :p

And welcome Shicurls :D Its nice to have another late starter around.

PorkChop
May 7th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Im out. Went for a micro trim this morning. Had lots of split ends and also lots of individual hairs had curled under at the bottom, so werenet growing straight down

Anyway, i lasted 6 months cos i hadnt had it cut since november

SpeakingEZ
May 8th, 2011, 03:52 AM
I am officially out of this challenge. :( Yesterday I was so depressed that I took the scissors and gave myself a self-trim. I was a bit dissatisfied with my ends. However, I checked the cut hair and there were hardly any splits. :) But still I needed it as I want to thicken up my hemline a bit. :rolleyes: And it was barely an inch so I can regrow it in two months. :D
Good luck with the challenge!:bounce:

Im out. Went for a micro trim this morning. Had lots of split ends and also lots of individual hairs had curled under at the bottom, so werenet growing straight down

Anyway, i lasted 6 months cos i hadnt had it cut since november

You both did great coming this far! I'm feeling the urge about now and the only thing that kept me from the scissors was measuring.

This is as good as a time to measure-in as any! I hit 28.5 with the longest hairs at 28.75!!!!! My hair must have had a growth spurt in the past couple weeks, because that's up almost an inch from my early April measure! No trims for me!! I want more of this awesome growth!!

Valdeon
May 8th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Oh my, I completely forgot to drop out of this challenge officially. After my hair hit BSL it is impossible to go without an occasional trim. Anyway I got my excuse - I am getting rid of nasty henna ends :D

Lemur_Catta
May 8th, 2011, 05:11 AM
I'm still in :D I am doing a lot of S&D though, so I am not gaining a lot of length and my ends are becoming a little thinner than I would like, but my hair needs it and my ends are not that bad anyway. Sometimes I get the urge to trim, but coconut oil and coney serum keep my ends soft :)
Next January, I'll start maintaining!

vintersaga
May 8th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I'm still in and so far so good. :) No urges to trim and I am pleased that my hair seems healthy still. I do S&D and my hair is actually growing I think. *happy* However I long for it to be long enough to S&D without having to look in the mirror and to do a proper braiding (and being at my goal length, of course ;)).

Monkie
May 8th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I want to trim my layers so badly, but I know that if I just hang in there a few months, my ponytail will be even thicker.

McFearless
May 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I'm still in. It does get hard but I do a deep conditioning and the urge goes away. We are almost half way there guys!!

elbow chic
May 8th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I'm still in, too! I've finally had some "luck" with S&D, finding a few hairs that either had a "bubble" in the middle or a wonky right-angled end, but other than that I'm thrilled with how well it's holding up.

LadyG
May 8th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Still here. Doing fine. Hang in there everyone.

Monkie
May 8th, 2011, 09:11 PM
If I make it to June, then I've made it 6 months without a trim, which is pretty darn rad.

Mountaingrrl
May 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM
The long, dry winter is finally over. Looking forward to some Spring / Summer growth!

MrsGuther
May 8th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I'm still in! Going strong- haven't trimmed since July 2010. :)

Kathie
May 9th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Congrats everyone for these massive time frames in between trims!
I'm so curious to see what happens to my hem line as I leave it to grow as nature intended :D

Nae
May 9th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Still growing. Down with scissors!!!!!!!!

spitfire511
May 9th, 2011, 05:49 AM
I'm so amazed by how many people are still in! I haven't trimmed since the big cut 12/2010 - and am still hanging in there. Right now my hatred for this length completely overrules any desire I'd have to trim. woo-hoo!

ooo
May 9th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I haven't trimmed for a bit more than 4 months, but now I'm starting to long for a extensive S&D session. My hair is a bit too short for that and I don't even know, if I have any splits. :silly:

bte
May 9th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I haven't trimmed for a bit more than 4 months, but now I'm starting to long for a extensive S&D session. My hair is a bit too short for that and I don't even know, if I have any splits. :silly:
Then you can search and not destroy!

bte
May 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Well, the month of May marks one year since I decided to never again let scissors near my hair until I reach classic length (~7 years).

So that's 16 total months since I last had any trim of any sort. Here's to another 6 years of trimless hair love'n!

Yay for hardly any split ends :D
Congratulations on 16 months, and good luck with the rest of the 7 year journey. Not many are brave enough to go all the way to terminal length without a trim, but there are some notable exceptions in this community.

vaughner
May 9th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Ugh, I want to do this but I always end up looking at my ends and whenever I see a split I have to cut it off lol. I can't leave it or it's just going to bother me all day. It's been a few months though, so maybe I can take this challenge. :)

ooo
May 9th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Then you can search and not destroy!

haha, you are right :D I'll see my hairdresser tomorrow. Let's see what he's going to say.

tgagurl27
May 10th, 2011, 04:45 AM
does this mean no mini cuts of just the splits? or no going to the hairdresser and they cut half ur hair "trims" haha

Nephele
May 10th, 2011, 06:13 AM
I had my last trim in Feb 2011 and that is the final one for me until Feb 2012 (except for my fringe if I decide to keep it short).

ooo
May 10th, 2011, 09:52 AM
haha, you are right :D I'll see my hairdresser tomorrow. Let's see what he's going to say.

He told me to get it cut soon. The next appointment is in a fortnight. Maybe I'll get a micro trim or S&D or both then.

Signe
May 10th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Ugh, I want to do this but I always end up looking at my ends and whenever I see a split I have to cut it off lol. I can't leave it or it's just going to bother me all day. It's been a few months though, so maybe I can take this challenge. :)

it's ok to cut off individual splits on this challenge! i don't think many people would successfully complete it if they couldn't. s&d is different than trimming. :)

Signe
May 10th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Hey folks...so yeah I stopped in a few weeks ago around my 6 month mark to say that my hemline is doing well, but then I took this pic and realised that one side is growing faster than the other....:rolleyes:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1111/p5100004g.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/p5100004g.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Woops! Oh well, at least the ends look fairly healthy. I think I will continue the challenge without evening it up until December. My wavies should hide it well enough anyway. :p

jaine
May 10th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I'm not 100% sure but I think my hair might be doing that too (growing faster on one side).
I didn't check yet to see if it's just curlier on one side.

vintersaga
May 12th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Beautiful hair, Signe! :)

Signe
May 12th, 2011, 08:13 AM
thank you vintersaga! :)

SpeakingEZ
May 16th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Oh, horrible ends. How I want to trim you. Is it December yet?

I trimmed a 1/4 inch of of the longest 3 hairs. They were throwing off my measurements. Does that count?

JamieLeigh
May 16th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I have been wanting to trim sooooooo badly!! Ugh! I'm not used to fairy-tale ends anymore, lol, they're making me crazy. I uploaded some pics of my growth progress since my last trim in December. My hair is still growing like crazy...the only difference is that now I'm not trimming, so it LOOKS crazy too. :p

My hands are at the spot I last trimmed to, which was December 5, 2010. This photo was taken on May 7, 2011. My goal is to grow at least until December 5, 2011, making it a full year without trimming, just to see how much naturally grows from my head in one year.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5778&pictureid=102662

Becky9679
May 16th, 2011, 01:14 AM
JamieLeigh your hair is crazy but in a good way! So long, thick and such a lovely colour :)

lillylonghair
May 17th, 2011, 06:09 PM
So an old friedn from high school posted a picture of me at about age 16 and I had really short hair. What was I thinking?!? Haha that really got me out of my ''I want to cut it all off now!" thinking. I am definitely a long hair gal for life! I know I can make the rest of the year now.

ooo
May 17th, 2011, 06:23 PM
JamieLeigh, I like the idea of one full year. Also the fairytale ends are supposed to help with the bunning as they don't stick out so easily.

Lize
May 18th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I'm still in! I can't believe it. I think I owe it all to this thread actually because I have had trimming urges allright. But since I STARTED this thread I think it would be really bad if I didn't go through with the challenge. Five months in! Almost half time. Time flies.

My hair is pretty roughed up since I went to an aikido seminar this weekend. I have to find better and more protective hair dos for training. Usually I have a messy bun which I have to redo a few times. But braid isn't really practical yet, hair still has too short layers. But soon I think it will be okay.

I am in great need of S&D. I was looking at my ends in the car on the way back from the seminar and saw a ton of splits and white dots. I have had no time for S&D in a while, but maybe I can do it on Friday when I don't work. Longing for a thorough S&D.

I hope you are all doing allright! I see many people dropping out of the challenge, but that doesn't mean we are not many left I hope. :)

vintersaga
May 18th, 2011, 06:19 AM
No, I think we're still a bunch left who hasn't dropped out of the challenge yet :) I am one of them. Still Staying Strong:cool:

freckles
May 18th, 2011, 06:30 AM
yep, I'm still in too :) though it's tough!!

metricfuture
May 18th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I haven't trimmed this year, but I was still on the fence about whether or not to do so any time soon. I have firmly decided to wait until at least January (I should be at or pretty close to BSL by that point, I think) is it too late to join in?

Lippytoes
May 19th, 2011, 02:41 AM
I am definitely staying strong. :) I've been keeping my ends healthy with the occasional S&D and oiling. And I like fairytale ends, so I'm actually delighted now that my hair is actually developing them due to not trimming! :D

*Seraphina*
May 19th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I'm still in, almost 6 months without cutting! My last cut was in November.

bunzfan
May 19th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I had to do my first S&D session a month a go as even though it didn't look damaged i thought it might be stunting new growth as it wasn't really growing as much as it used to.

All of a sudden its growing again yay and its getting so close to waist, just a year ago it was shoulder length this is the longest my hair's ever been time for a happy dance:disco:

Shell
May 19th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I gave in and went and got a professional cut. I wish that I had started the challenge this way in December. I have layers (which are fine), but also the remnants of a bad hair cut from a year ago. Those bad bits made me crazy. I went and had the layers and shape fixed. The stylist was great--he listened to me--and he promised to not cut off much length. He also understands that I wear it wash 'n' go curly most of the time. He only cut off 1/2 an inch (and shaped layers too), but boy does it look and lay way better. He also asked if he could blow it dry--if I minded! It looked great that way, but I still wear it curly most of the time.

So, I'm back in for now, with that little hiccup. I don't feel bad about getting it professionally trimmed, because it needed fixing. If I ever do this again, I will be careful to have him cut it first.

I plan to keep in the no-cutting mode until December if I can.

All the rest of you who haven't cut--bravo/brava! Hang in there. :D

Rocket22
May 19th, 2011, 10:30 AM
yup I do think this thread keeps us pretty honest :) so that is good. I'm also in the no heat challenge and for sure it keeps me honest as well

Stessie
May 19th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Oh!!

I think i found the old thread... xD

Well, i suppose i'll post what i wrote here, then. :P

Re-Post:

Hello. :]

After a long while of debating over & over, with myself...I've finally decided that i'd like to not trim my hair 'til it reaches [around] tail-bone length. Once, it has reached tail-bone length, i'd like to have a trim. Then, it's onwards to classic length. [With fairytale ends, preferably.] ^.^

The last time i've gone to the hairdresser's...was at the end of July, last year. [~10 months ago.] Since then, my [layered] hair has gone from mid-BSL to waist length. o.o

Should i, perhaps, go in for one last trim...before i decide to let it grow to tail-bone length? Just to give it a healthy start or something... :\ Or perhaps just do S&D [what is this, exactly?] since my ends are not damaged? :O

TTFN <3

Lize
May 20th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I have finally gotten around to doing some S&D today. It felt wonderful, but I need another quite thorough session pretty soon I think. Since I haven't done it in a long time.

I haven't trimmed this year, but I was still on the fence about whether or not to do so any time soon. I have firmly decided to wait until at least January (I should be at or pretty close to BSL by that point, I think) is it too late to join in?

Of course not! Welcome to the challenge! :)

metricfuture
May 20th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks! Now if I get an itch to trim I have concrete reason to back away from the scissors...

akuamoonmaui
May 20th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Well, I've had to shape my layers and keep my bangs in check, but I haven't trimmed my length. Not sure what that means for this thread, but I'm still posting anyway... I'm about an inch from my goal if I pull my hair straight, and it's only the pointy part of my 'V' hemline. It's frustrating to be thaaaaat close, but it also feels really good to be this close to my goal!

iluvmurphie
May 20th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Yes! I'm so with you! I plan to only S&D for the rest of this year! :)

Roscata
May 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
My ends started to look really thin and weird so I decided to give up on this challenge and trim my hair. :(

I trimmed in October 2010 and then trimmed today, so I went went a total of about 7 months without trimming. But I love my hemline right now. :D

Good luck to everybody else still in the challenge!

jaine
May 22nd, 2011, 01:03 PM
I'm still in this challenge ...scissors have not touched my hair at all since my professional shape-up last December. No splits and no shape issues yet. And it's FINALLY starting to feel longer after almost 6 months.
I like that my ends are getting wispier because it lays better and flips less. My hemline is still totally opaque and bushy though...it's a very subtle kind of wispiness that probably only I notice.

Lize
May 23rd, 2011, 03:44 AM
I'm still in this challenge ...scissors have not touched my hair at all since my professional shape-up last December. No splits and no shape issues yet. And it's FINALLY starting to feel longer after almost 6 months.
I like that my ends are getting wispier because it lays better and flips less. My hemline is still totally opaque and bushy though...it's a very subtle kind of wispiness that probably only I notice.

Congrats on the great results jaine! I also noticed that my hair has started to feel longer. I guess this is how it grows longer... no cutting. :D And my hair doesn't look at all as bad as I thought it would at this point. I have went five months now and it still looks quite ok. Even though I have not treated it as well as I could have. I have not worried much about protective updos for example.. or oiling.

But as usual I do a lot of other stuff for it. And I will get into a routine of putting coconut oil in it after every wash I do at home. Otherwise I will use some conditioner as leave in. And maybe some more bunning now that it's summer and I plan to be outside more. And I will start wearing double braids for training, which I think will be good for this length.

In a few months I will hit BSL! Come on fast summer growth! :)

vintage88
May 23rd, 2011, 07:40 AM
Hi I am new to LHC so i'm still learning a lot. I last had a trim in April and would really love to join the challenge and not have anymore trims this year. My hair is currently BSL and my goal is waist length. I do have a lot of split ends, mainly due to blow drying and straightening, but I have cut down on both of these things, and now only blow dry/straighten once a week at the most (I am trying to stop all together but is difficult after years of doing both! and my hair does look better and longer after being straightened) I love the support everyone has for each other, i'm really determined to reach my goal and it's so nice to talk to others who feel the same :)

danceri110
May 23rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
I joined this challenge a while back, and I have to share this story with you all (x
In math class, I sit right in front of one of my friends. When I sit, my hair sits right on top of the edge of her desk. For the past few months, without me knowing, she's been cutting off my split ends for me ! She told me this this afternoon and I laughed soo hard :D

And I was wondering why I hadn't been finding many splits while doing my s & d sessions ...

Now I just wish I had fairytale ends so my updos would actually hold /:

jaine
May 23rd, 2011, 10:28 PM
I joined this challenge a while back, and I have to share this story with you all (x
In math class, I sit right in front of one of my friends. When I sit, my hair sits right on top of the edge of her desk. For the past few months, without me knowing, she's been cutting off my split ends for me ! She told me this this afternoon and I laughed soo hard :D

And I was wondering why I hadn't been finding many splits while doing my s & d sessions ...

That's so funny! I hope her scissors are sharp though, so she's not creating more splits on the same hairs!

Sundial
May 23rd, 2011, 10:32 PM

I was thinking the same thing as jaine when I read this! You lucky girl! So many of us would pay to have someone do our S&D for us and all these while you've been getting it done for free while you were attending Math lessons ;)

Sooze
May 24th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Am still in the challenge - not had a cut or trim since October last year, but am finding as my hair is getting past shoulder length at it's longest point, am suffering more and more from fairy knots which I'm having to cut out. Overall, the condition of my hair isn't as bad as thought it might be - think the oiling and henna is paying dividends but I hope the knotting doesn't continue to get worse......

elbow chic
May 24th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I actually dreamed about this thread last night. I was buying peanut brittle at a truck stop and suddenly realized that somehow my hair was cut all the way up to my nape! :eek:

and my first thought upon looking in the mirror was: "I'm going to have to tell the No-Trimming Club that I failed to follow through."

TheBluffs
May 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I meaured my hair yesterday, scince my trim in January, and it's grown a whole lot! :joy: Though for a nice, even hemline, with happy thick ends, I'l have to sheer off 3 inches at 2012! :brickwall:

ooo
May 24th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I had a trimm. In a couple of days I'll colour my hair again, then I'll take a picture.
Thought I don't know yet. Should I go lilac (http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/dir-lilac.html)or lavender (http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/dir-lavender.html)?

Nae
May 24th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Still in there, almost seven months for me now!!! The ends are getting a bit grabby here and there so I just slather them in conditioner and ignore them.

danceri110
May 24th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I had a trimm. In a couple of days I'll colour my hair again, then I'll take a picture.
Thought I don't know yet. Should I go lilac (http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/dir-lilac.html)or lavender (http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/dir-lavender.html)?

I vote for Lilac !(:

SpeakingEZ
May 26th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Herrmmm.... I think a clarifying wash is in order. I bought a new silicone free shampoo with jojoba oil in it and, as fabulous as it makes my hair feel, I don't think it's doing anything to remove the build-up at my hemline. I think that's making my ends feel much more grabby than is fair to them. So, I'm doing a sulfate wash tomorrow after doing a VERY heavy oiling tonight. Put a few tablespoons of olive oil on it already!

(So, I've had a few drinks, and I just got done writing a letter to my brother in boot camp right now, and I almost signed this post with, "Ok, I love you! [my name]".)

ETA: I just hit 29" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up, awesome growing hair!!!

vloucak
May 30th, 2011, 10:21 PM
uh huh, my hair looks healthier to me it is shiny and looks more thick then before (I do buns every day and use colorless henna, oiling and my hair seems to like yogurt and honey) but I have a lot of splits and dots, and unfortunately because of long illness (3 months) when I had to do nothing only lying in the bed I gained a lot of weight and so my hair looks shorter to me :confused: ... it is definitely NOT growig ... maybe due to illness and medicaments??? I dont know :(. Now I am on healthy diet (5800kJ under medical supervision) so I am afraid of hair loss :slap:

ksanka02
May 30th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Count me in, last trimmed dec 2010.

PraiseCheeses
May 30th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I'm still in, but trimming is getting tempting! My ends are getting dry and grabby. Right now I've slathered them in almond oil and wrapped them in a hot damp towel... going to wash in a bit and see if that helps.

Keep it up, everyone! We're almost halfway there! :)

PraiseCheeses
May 30th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Whoops, double post - sorry.

Safira
May 31st, 2011, 12:12 AM
That's so funny! I hope her scissors are sharp though, so she's not creating more splits on the same hairs!

Oh, I want that kind of friend too. She have one good heart :D Especially if those scissors are sharp.

elbow chic
May 31st, 2011, 11:45 AM
Herrmmm.... I think a clarifying wash is in order. I bought a new silicone free shampoo with jojoba oil in it and, as fabulous as it makes my hair feel, I don't think it's doing anything to remove the build-up at my hemline. I think that's making my ends feel much more grabby than is fair to them. So, I'm doing a sulfate wash tomorrow after doing a VERY heavy oiling tonight. Put a few tablespoons of olive oil on it already!

(So, I've had a few drinks, and I just got done writing a letter to my brother in boot camp right now, and I almost signed this post with, "Ok, I love you! [my name]".)

ETA: I just hit 29" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up, awesome growing hair!!!

congrats!!

I had to clarify recently, too. I've been messing around too much with trying leave-ins and oils and STUFF, and it wasn't doing my ends any favors. Clarifying helped a lot, though my ends are just finally starting to give up the ghost. Can't complain; they were spectacularly well-behaved for over 15 months. They still don't have any splits. They're just dry and a bit rough-feeling.

So I'm thinking of dropping out of the challenge and giving them a quarter-inch trim. But I'll wait a few weeks to be sure that's what I want to do. :) Also, I need to get some real trimming scissors.

I want my ends to fairy-tale out but maybe it's just not going to happen right now.

Kathie
May 31st, 2011, 03:59 PM
I'm three months in, so quarter of the way there for me. My ends are still looking good, early days I know but, hopefully they stay that way.

TheBluffs
May 31st, 2011, 06:27 PM
Has nayone else noticed fantastic growth scince they stoped triming? :)

Capybara
May 31st, 2011, 06:39 PM
I don't think I've posted in this thread before, but I haven't trimmed yet this year (and don't plan to!)

Here are some progress pictures, if you'd like :) First, December 21ish, 2010 - My last haircut (although I did trim off the V-shape), I was just above BSL:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6866&pictureid=91209

Todays shot: (same shirt, for reference, and the black line is about where my hair was at the beginning of the year):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7689&pictureid=104152

Heading towards waist :) only a few more inches to go. I think no trimming is a success so far.

jaine
May 31st, 2011, 06:41 PM

I wish I could say yes but my curls are eating up so much length! :) it still feels like shoulder length to me, although i just took a picture for the first time in 5 months and I can see it's growing. I don't think I'll get to APL curly this year because of shrinkage, although I might get to APL stretched.

ETA: capybara, wow!!!! That is a ton of growth for only 5 months!!

Kathie
May 31st, 2011, 07:14 PM
I've gained 2" in three months :D, which actually just fits in with my normal growth rate. But its nice not to be trimming away at the progress.

PraiseCheeses
May 31st, 2011, 07:17 PM
Wow capybara! What a gorgeous hemline! :thud:

Kathie
May 31st, 2011, 07:20 PM
Wow capybara! What a gorgeous hemline! :thud:
PraiseChesses, based on your siggy, I think your hemline looks very similar to capybara's :p Both are really nice and thick.

wantlonghair
May 31st, 2011, 07:46 PM
i'm in on this too, i have not really trimmed at all this year other than snipping off some scraggly ends. thanks for the idea.

sanfen
May 31st, 2011, 09:34 PM
I'm still hanging in. :) I haven't had a proper trim since Dec. '09. It was about nape length then and now I am well on my way to BSL. I also trimmed a couple of scraggly ends the beginning of January.

I have no desire to trim, cut, whatever. This is the time of year where my hair never touches the back of my neck and, at times, even the bangs get tucked back with a small comb. Too hot and the hair touching clammy skin makes me so irritable. :rolleyes:

PraiseCheeses
May 31st, 2011, 09:54 PM
Aw, thanks Kathie!:blushing: But I guarantee you mine's all floof. Hers looks like the real deal to me. ;)

As soon as I get a custom user title, it's going to say "Wonderbread hair" underneath my username. :p

Kathie
May 31st, 2011, 10:29 PM
Aw, thanks Kathie!:blushing: But I guarantee you mine's all floof. Hers looks like the real deal to me. ;)

As soon as I get a custom user title, it's going to say "Wonderbread hair" underneath my username. :p
lol :D well, it still looks good.
Ah the username, I have no idea what mines going to say :confused: I'll have to come up with one soon.

Becky9679
June 1st, 2011, 12:30 AM
Today is exactly 7 months since my last cut. Still good condition and no split ends :)

It's funny, in my first 4 months after my last trim it grew 3 inches but since February it's really slowed down and only grown a little over an inch. Not sure why that is but I'm hoping it'll speed up again soon!

akuamoonmaui
June 1st, 2011, 01:08 AM
I trimmed, so in all fairness have to say I'm out. My 'V' was way too pointed and my ends were just too dry. I'm pretty happy that I didn't trim my length for 6 months, though. Usually I have to at 3 months. I'm going to try not to trim again for the rest of the year.

pixiestar
June 1st, 2011, 01:09 AM
Hi, can I join:D
I've not had a hair cut since nov last year. Started at a chin length bob, now measures 17 3/4 inches. Wish it would grow faster though:D Heres a current pic

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l514/pixiestar13/Hair%20Length/IMG_3339.jpg

Sorry its so big.

Lippytoes
June 1st, 2011, 02:06 AM
My ends are feeling a bit rough - but it's only the last half-inch or so of hair, so I most definitely think I can live with it. :) And I think it's really just a case of my hair needing more moisture. I need to start oiling regularly again.

It feels like my hair isn't growing especially fast despite the no-trimming, but I think I should just check length pics from a few months ago and see for myself that there's a difference. Dang unpredictable waves eating up length in weird ways. :D

Nipushiau
June 1st, 2011, 02:15 AM
My hair seems to have stopped growing completely since starting this challange. :( Any ideas why? When I first joined LHC, I trimmed 2 inches and it grew 4.

Sjirsten
June 1st, 2011, 02:34 AM
I have been growing out bleach damage ever since I joined this forum and I`ve been doing a rather big chop around Christmas and then again around Easter when I`ve been at home with my parents (mum is a former hairdresser) Maybe some trimming in between.. It has definitely been a lot easier to stay away from trimming at the salon after I started doing henna, instead of getting my roots done at the salon.

Anyways, 6 months into the challenge and I am confident that I&#180;ll make it through. I can already see growth happening and my ends don`t look too bad as I do S & D fairly often. I`m already planning to get a few face framing layers put in when I get my trim in January and I`m gonna find a nice salon to go to in Amsterdam, where I`ll be moving to shortly.

Hmmm... I`m thinking I could do this once a year trimming again. Maybe I should just keep that up until I reach waist...

Anyways, keep up the good work ladies. You`re half way there!!!

Lize
June 2nd, 2011, 06:25 AM
Trimming urges... I'm resisting. :(

Sjirsten
June 2nd, 2011, 06:33 AM
Du er over halvveis, stå på!

(You`re half way there, keep up the good work)

Safira
June 2nd, 2011, 06:35 AM
I havent trim yet. And so far it seems I dont have to trim. But let´s wait until the summer is over. :D

cheetahfast
June 2nd, 2011, 08:23 AM
I'll join, my hairdresser always cuts a little too much and I've been babying my hair. So far I don't see anysplits :) (My last trim was Jan though so I guess me joining is cheating)

heidi.maryke
June 2nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hey everyone! I'm still in this challenge. It's been 7 months now and I nearly fell off the wagon last night... I starting writing a text to my hairdresser for an appointment but I cancelled it :D

It's not my ends that are the issue for me, it is the shape as my hair really needs layers ! I don't know if I'll make it to November (which will be a year of no trimming for me), so I'm first holding out until August when I should be APL and re-evaluate from there...

tgagurl27
June 3rd, 2011, 01:37 AM
you can do it heidi :D im going to try I haven't been to the hairdresser for about a year but I have been trimming my own hair. But not much though I might add

Kathie
June 3rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
I tidied up my face framing layers last night. It’s made such a difference- my hair has some shape again :joy: But importantly the bulk of the length was left untouched.

Lize
June 4th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I have not trimmed, but I still have some urges to make it look fresher. I am growing out some highlights now and the treated hair looks so fake and not fresh next to the virgin hair which looks fresh and nice. But virgin hair is only 10 months old so what am i gonna do? Buzz it? Don't think so. It's still gonna be highlighted if I trim it, so I might as well not. I am trying to reason with myself here. It would be so cool if I could get through this year, since I am a compulsive trimmer. Since I trim my own hair it is also rather easy for me to fall off the wagon. I have had a huge shed also this Spring.. I usually have that in Spring time. That has made my hair thinner. And the ends are grabby. Trying to S&D as much as possible, it really helps. End of rant.

McFearless
June 4th, 2011, 10:29 AM
We are in June everyone! Almost half way there. The summer goes by so quickly too. The next minute it will be September and there will only be 3 or so months left.

Stay strong and happy growing!

SpeakingEZ
June 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I've started using cones to distract me from the damaged ends. Just on the ends, though. It makes them feel so slippery I forget that they're damaged at all. Makes trimming a little less appealing.

ooo
June 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I've started using cones to distract me from the damaged ends. Just on the ends, though. It makes them feel so slippery I forget that they're damaged at all. Makes trimming a little less appealing.

Sounds like a good idea. Next time I wash, I guess, I'll try it too.

PraiseCheeses
June 4th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I rehabilitated my ends the other night! The last couple inches were crunchy after I revisited the oil shampoo, so two nights ago I applied castor oil to my scalp and saturated the lenght from ears down in coconut and almond oi, French braided it, and went to bed. When I got up I squeezed a cheapie conditioner throught the braid and to my scalp and clingwrapped my head for 20 minutes. Then I did a CWC, a vinegar rinse, and lightly re-oiled the ends and my hair has been awesome yesterday and today. Just in time - I was starting to read up on Feye's Trim instructions. Not anymore! :)

dmarie63
June 4th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I am joining in this challenge! The last time I cut my hair was December 27, 2010, so this is perfect! It was already my goal to not cut my hair. It's great to know others are doing the same. :)

I'm hoping that by the end of the year my hair will be apl. :)

jaine
June 4th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I am joining in this challenge! The last time I cut my hair was December 27, 2010, so this is perfect! It was already my goal to not cut my hair. It's great to know others are doing the same. :)

I'm hoping that by the end of the year my hair will be apl. :)

I think my last haircut was within a day or two of yours! We might be close to the same length too ... I'm just past shoulder length.

danceri110
June 4th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I'm considering getting a trim, as my ends are soooo dry and split, but I SO don't want to lose the length/: AARGH; what should I do?

Lize
June 5th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Yay! We are in June! 5 months have passed out of 12! Good job everyone who is still in!! :D

Yesterday I was out in the sun and my skin got a bit burned. First time I stay in the sun for a longer time (few hours) this year. My hair also felt it, cause today a bunch of damage showed up! It was also a bit windy outside. I had my hair in a messy elastic-bun.

The lower length/ends is/are dry and crunchy and a ton of splits and white dots showed up today! I believe this cannot be "new" damage, but when the hair gets extra dry it probably shows up more. So I took the opportunity today to do a thorough S&D. I need to treat my hair with extra care from now on! I have not been very careful with it this year I have to admit. Not so many protective updos and stuff, but I haven't exactly been wreckless with it either. But being highlighted and dry my hair needs extra pampering from now on I think. Especially if I am gonna be able to make it through this challenge.

This made me think I might try a coney serum on my ends for the summer. I use shampoo every other day anyway so I can't see why cones would be bad really. Except the fact that I don't like that they make my hair flat.

I rehabilitated my ends the other night! The last couple inches were crunchy after I revisited the oil shampoo, so two nights ago I applied castor oil to my scalp and saturated the lenght from ears down in coconut and almond oi, French braided it, and went to bed. When I got up I squeezed a cheapie conditioner throught the braid and to my scalp and clingwrapped my head for 20 minutes. Then I did a CWC, a vinegar rinse, and lightly re-oiled the ends and my hair has been awesome yesterday and today. Just in time - I was starting to read up on Feye's Trim instructions. Not anymore! :)

Thaks for the inspiration! I think I will put some oil on my length today before I wash it as a pre wash treatment.

I'm considering getting a trim, as my ends are soooo dry and split, but I SO don't want to lose the length/: AARGH; what should I do?

Maybe try a treatment similar to what PraiseCheeses did? See above. :)

danceri110
June 5th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks; I slathered my hair in EVOO last night and braided it tightly before bed. Then this morning I unbraided; added more oil; then shampooed & conditioned my hair and it feels so much better. I guess part of the reason I wanted to trim so badly was because it was the end of the week and I only wash on Sundays; so my hair was not at its most gorgeous state(x

Kathie
June 5th, 2011, 02:02 PM
How long will everyones hair be if they make it to the end of this challenge?

I'll be somewhere between APL and BSL :D :cheer:

bunzfan
June 5th, 2011, 02:15 PM

I will be somewhere between waist and hip :joy:

elbow chic
June 5th, 2011, 02:28 PM
yay for halfway!!! Hang in there, it's bumpy, people! :D

hm, mine will be solidly midback, maybe can-I-call-this-waist. :agape:

freckles
June 5th, 2011, 03:36 PM

I'm hoping that if I make it, I will be just-about-tailbone length! tailbone is my ultimate goal, so that's my primary motivation for being in this challenge :)

I'm thinking I probably won't make it all the way to January though. My ends are getting pretty bad. :/

heidi.maryke
June 5th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Hopefully between apl and bsl if I make it!

Rocket22
June 5th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I kinda cheated a little bit, twice, but not much I swear!!! did it myself, put it in a ponytail and just cut off the very very tip of it, wasn't even very many hairs... just a confession I guess. It's made it so I can still go on without a real trim or cut. I should be at waist or almost by end of year!!!!

MissCoco
June 5th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I kinda cheated a little bit, twice, but not much I swear!!! did it myself, put it in a ponytail and just cut off the very very tip of it, wasn't even very many hairs... just a confession I guess. It's made it so I can still go on without a real trim or cut. I should be at waist or almost by end of year!!!!

Ah, don't feel bad, I did the same last month! It didn't even affect my length, just how my ends feel! My hemline is still wonky and natural from individual hair growth rates! :D

TheBluffs
June 5th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Classic. A good solid Classic! :D
Ay, I must remeber that every time I look for the sissors. Once I get to the end, I will cut of 2 inches of crispy ends!

Rocket22
June 5th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Ah, don't feel bad, I did the same last month! It didn't even affect my length, just how my ends feel! My hemline is still wonky and natural from individual hair growth rates! :D

Yeah so it doesn't count really does it :) it does make the ends better and it actually kept me from going crazy and just having a good trim which usually means starting over because they never just trim it, it's always 3-4 inches on me.. guess hair dressers think I need that:confused: but I'm swearing off the hairdressers!!! this is kinda fun!

Mountaingrrl
June 5th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I estimate I'll be between BSL and waist if I make it. Exciting!

Sanyia
June 5th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Still hanging in there. I had my last trim in July 2010, but I said no trim until December!

December:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6723&pictureid=89519

Now:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6723&pictureid=103856

SpeakingEZ
June 6th, 2011, 01:05 AM

I'll be at solid waist. I should actually be able to trim off 1/2 inch and still be at waist.

I think after this challenge I'm going to maintain for about 6-12 months. I have so much damage in the back of my head, I have this lock dead-center that's shorter and more damaged than the rest. I think it's where all my ponytail holders used to sit. . . . When that's grown down, I'll start not trimming again.

KittyLost
June 6th, 2011, 01:22 AM

Hopefully I will be at the elusive APL :) although I only just started in April as my hair got damaged and needed cut :( I was originally no trims from january but a colour remover destroyed my dreams of that.

Lippytoes
June 6th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I will be somewhere between waist and hip :joy:

Me too! :cheese:

Lippytoes
June 6th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Still hanging in there. I had my last trim in July 2010, but I said no trim until December!

December:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6723&pictureid=89519

Now:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6723&pictureid=103856

Your hair looks gorgeous!

freckles
June 6th, 2011, 04:47 AM
ugh, I just took some new photos ... and they are NOT inspiring. I don't think I've had much length increase at all since January. And because I was basically maintaining (more or less) June-January, I haven't really felt like I've been making any progress for the last year.

This is January of this year ...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4804&pictureid=92298

and this is today ...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4804&pictureid=104585

Feeling a little disheartened by this. And itching to trim because my ends feel baaaaaad. :(

Sjirsten
June 6th, 2011, 04:58 AM

Me too, I think :happydance:

JamieLeigh
June 6th, 2011, 05:21 AM

No idea!! :D That's half the fun of it for me. I had already decided to just take a year off the trimming and the worrying over my hemline in December, and then I found this thread after the start of the year, and joined in. :) December 5, 2010, was my last trim, and it was around 43.5" long and straight across. Now it's started to fairytale after 6 months, and it's either close to or past 49". I haven't measured in over a month, so I'm not too sure on it.

I think I'll probably reach knee, at least. If I happen to go past it, I'll trim back to knee at the end of all of this, and work on my hemline some more. I think. Unless I cut back to fingertip...that was a really nice length. I passed it over a month ago...

This really is fun! And so FREEING, not having to obsess over what my hemline looks like and whether I need a trim. I just put it up and go. :)

ooo
June 6th, 2011, 05:28 AM
It's going to be between apl and bsl.

Washing with herbal essences moisture shampoo and conditioner really helped. It's my favourite cone combi.

Becky9679
June 6th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Will probably be about halfway between BSL and waist. BSL is only about 2 inches away!

mewster18
June 6th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I'll join too, if it's okay, I just joined the community. And I know the year started awhile ago, but I haven't had a trim since the previous October. And having this, style-less mid-length is starting to drive me bonkers. I think having group support would be really helpful. How is it coming along for everyone?

SpeakingEZ
June 6th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I'll join too, if it's okay, I just joined the community. And I know the year started awhile ago, but I haven't had a trim since the previous October. And having this, style-less mid-length is starting to drive me bonkers. I think having group support would be really helpful. How is it coming along for everyone?

Hey, Mewster18! Welcome to LHC! And of course, jump right on the bandwagon, a lot of us are still going strong (I'm not sure how many, exactly). I've heard your length drives LHC'ers to insanity for lack of things to do with it, but I bet your hair could fit up into a pretty ficcare or jaw clip to get it up and forget it. Good luck! There are lots of very knowledgeable people here that will give you plenty of anti-sytling advice. :)

pixiestar
June 6th, 2011, 02:49 PM

Hoping to be at APL:D

lil'lady
June 6th, 2011, 03:47 PM
If I can jump on the bandwagon, I should be just passed APL by christmas 2011.:cheese:

Proximity
June 6th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I'm another newbie joining in on this. My last trim was last month so I'm not trimming again until May 2012. Hopefully I'll be between BSL and Waist by then, but plan to trim to BSL and maintain for a bit to make sure its all in good condition.

OOO wish it was next year already!

Mountaingrrl
June 6th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Freckles, it looks to me like you've gained substantial length, and your hair looks healthy!

rapunzhell13
June 6th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I'm still going strong. :) No trims this year and no plans for one anytime soon. I definitely think I can make it to the end of the year. :D Ends are holding up okay so far.

Lize
June 7th, 2011, 11:43 AM

I will be right in the middle between BSL and waist! I am currently at "Can I call this BSL?". This probably means I could reach waist next year. How cool! Now this is something to think about when trimming urges come!

I'm still in!! :D

Today I found a new hair treatment without cones which I will try later today.

feralnature
June 7th, 2011, 11:45 AM
No trim since November 2010. My hair is to my waist.

Kathie
June 7th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I will be right in the middle between BSL and waist! I am currently at "Can I call this BSL?". This probably means I could reach waist next year. How cool! Now this is something to think about when trimming urges come!

I agree, keep your eye on the prize :D

bunzfan
June 7th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Anyone else struggling with dry dry ends after no trims since December. In the past when my hair felt that way i just trimmed an inch, now this is getting hard i love the fact that i am so close to waist but i hate the dryness:(

wahmof9
June 8th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I'll be hopefully waist but since I am very close and my hair look BSL dry then I assume it will look like it is between BSL and waist :(
Thin ends.

I will need to cut about 2 inches in December.

bunzfan
June 9th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Anyone finding this hard now? i don't know about you but my ends are getting thin now as well as looking very dry in the past i just used to cut them off.

My braids are looking very thin at the ends but i'm loving the length its way past BSL now:D

Rocket22
June 9th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Anyone finding this hard now? i don't know about you but my ends are getting thin now as well as looking very dry in the past i just used to cut them off.

My braids are looking very thin at the ends but i'm loving the length its way past BSL now:D

I think quality over quantity is the key, I too hated my ends but I hadn't had a trim since August so I just took the very point off when I put in ponytail and that did get me through. If you really hate your end just take the very very tip off and it really doesn't even change the length. It helped me anyways, nothing worse then obsessing over how much you hate your ends :)

skaempfer
June 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I'm going strong; we had a long weekend here and we took it quite easy. I sat outside and S&Ded my hair for several hours while chatting with family. You can see my progress in my album (called 'just the hair, ma'am').

Anyway, I'm feeling no temptation to trim, but I also don't know how long it's going to be. I'm a bit curly, so if I stretch it it's already at BS, but above top of BS if I don't. I'm hoping for waist!

jaine
June 9th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I'm going strong...I'm happy to see my shedding rate pick up in the summer because it means my ends are getting wispier. I like wispy ends!

turtlelover
June 9th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I did give in and trim 3/4 of an inch last month to my layers to avoid the "pyramid look" as my hair passed my shoulders -- though I didn't take off any length -- but I really do think that I am set now to finish the year w/ no more trims aside from wispy bangs.

NaiadOreiad
June 10th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I am only an inch and some change from bsl. That means that by 2012 I should be about halfway to waist!

jenwexler
June 10th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I need serious help resisting a haircut. My ends are dry but not split...so I don't know.

bunzfan
June 10th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I need serious help resisting a haircut. My ends are dry but not split...so I don't know.

I had this recently and i mean dry ends after clarifying and a deep treatment its behaving so much better. Do you need to clarify?

KLin
June 10th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I have been wearing my hair up in spin pins and loose braiding without elastics at night. I S&D every few months but have not been paying attenetion as life is busy, DH travels and I just noticed my hair has grown! It has gone from waist to hip in a few months.

leslissocool
June 10th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'm an inch away from tailbone I think, I really need to straighten it but I am resisting the urge...

This year has to be over soon!

jenwexler
June 10th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I had this recently and i mean dry ends after clarifying and a deep treatment its behaving so much better. Do you need to clarify?

Mmm it's possible. I figured it needed more moisture on the ends. But my scalp seems to have a little more build up lately for some reason.

bunzfan
June 11th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Mmm it's possible. I figured it needed more moisture on the ends. But my scalp seems to have a little more build up lately for some reason.

Well i was like you with the dry ends and i was nearly going to trim an inch off but i thought i will try clarifying again ended washing my hair 3 times (i do a lot of heavy oiling) and i have lovely soft hair again :)

I want to make it till December as i hate anything beating me. Do you wear your hair up that really saves your ends in my experience.

Lize
June 11th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Having serious problems with dry and grabby ends. Seems like I would benefit from trimming a couple of inches. Not gonna do that though until January. How am I gonna last until January, I ask myself. Anyway, now I have lots and lots of coconut oil in my hair. I drenched the length in it. To finish it I will shampoo the whole length in case I have build up, and use my favorite hair treatment. I am hoping it will feel better after that.

TheBluffs
June 12th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Having serious problems with dry and grabby ends. Seems like I would benefit from trimming a couple of inches. Not gonna do that though until January. How am I gonna last until January, I ask myself. Anyway, now I have lots and lots of coconut oil in my hair. I drenched the length in it. To finish it I will shampoo the whole length in case I have build up, and use my favorite hair treatment. I am hoping it will feel better after that.

High five for dry ends. Though I am going to try to clarity tomorow before I turn into a nutjob. :(

Lize
June 12th, 2011, 03:12 AM

The hair feels better today, so I guess this worked. Today I am going shopping. Maybe I'll finds some goodies for my hair.... :) new products always seem to help me when going through a rough path.

I'm kind of touching BSL now. :joy: Maybe half an inch more until I can say that I am really there. Will be taking update pictures soon.

TheBluffs
June 12th, 2011, 10:48 AM
When in doubt, don't claffity dry ends. Oil like crazy instad. :D

feralnature
June 12th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I would never, ever clarify my ends. I keep them lightly oiled. They are thin and dry without oiling but look good to me with the pampering I give them. I treat them very gently.

McFearless
June 12th, 2011, 11:19 AM

At that length I'd save up my trims for later when there might be shape issues. Experiment with oils and leave-ins instead.

gthlvrmx
June 12th, 2011, 07:39 PM
For dry ends yet no issues with split, i usually clarify then do deep treatments, moisture and protein. Oiling helps too :)
Always check if it may be a build up problem of some sort before resorting to trimming off perfectly unbroken hair!

danceri110
June 12th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I wish I had you guys's problems/:
My hair has SO many splits at the ends, especially because I have 2 distinct layers (I refer to them as 'shelves') one at BSL and one a couple of inches below BSL. I'm afraid that the damage will travel farther up my hair ... HELP!
My original plan was to maintain at waist to get rid of my V-shape and layers, but to not trim until then ... do you think I'll make it?

SpeakingEZ
June 13th, 2011, 06:42 PM
GAH!! I'm not having troubles not trimming at the moment. I have it up in a braid I I never feel bad about damage when my hair is up. But . . . WAH! I want it to reach waist so I can start [word]ing trimming! Then I can grow it out all fairytale-like. . . .

I thought this thread was the more appropriate one to gripe in about my feelings right now. The few posts about this one got me thinking about waist-length maintaining and I got frustrated.

TheBluffs
June 14th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Okay, I fixed my dry ends. :D This is how:
1. Condition the ends, leve for an hour.
2. Wash off the conditonair.
3.Coconut oil the ends.
4. Oil again afer 2 hours.
5. Repeat step 2.
This should take you the whole day, but my ends are saved. (for now)

Vermilion
June 14th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Not trimming will be a piece of cake for me. I routinely put off trimming, heh. Anything that shortens my hair (at all) is a terrible thought! :)

And it's extremely hard for me to find someone I trust with sharp objects and my hair. I've had way too much taken off before.

Nae
June 14th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Going strong here, am currently trying a coney leave in......you know. Just for kicks. It is nice to keep trying different things. Trimming is not an option. I may even go longer than a year, I will decide soon since I am at 8 months with no problems yet.

Sheylenna
June 14th, 2011, 08:01 PM
So I did something like this but I started May 2010 I went from just about shoulder length to just below BSL. And in May 2010 I kinda chopped from almost waist length to shoulder length. But my hair was dull and frizzy and had layers and just did not look good cause I was also growing out a perm and color and Highlights.

I FEEL So much better about my hair now that I did leave it for over a year... I got a trim 10days ago. I think my stylist should have taken off another inch she only took off a inch or an inch and a half but it still looks good (now I just have to get the rest of the color out) course I did that the easy way this time I bleached it out and for that my hair is shiner and softer and less frizzy that is been all year. Weirdness.

BUT still has that stupid box red in it... AFTER bleaching it TWICE. Faint but still there so don't know what I'm going to do about it but it will wait a month or two.

McFearless
June 14th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I wish I had you guys's problems/:
My hair has SO many splits at the ends, especially because I have 2 distinct layers (I refer to them as 'shelves') one at BSL and one a couple of inches below BSL. I'm afraid that the damage will travel farther up my hair ... HELP!
My original plan was to maintain at waist to get rid of my V-shape and layers, but to not trim until then ... do you think I'll make it?

Do you own any hair scissors? You need to S&D or get a small trim where there are splits. Are the splits only on the longest layer or the bsl-length layer, too?

Lize
June 15th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Guys.. I hit BSL! :joy: Definately a motivation for me not to trim. Anything beyond this is longer than I have had in all my adult life.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/Libelous/DSC00274mindre.jpg

Of course ends look like they need a trim and I will have to maintain for like two years to get rid of layers, but before starting to maintain I will grow it at least to waist. (But with frequent trims after January.) I might as well have long hair when I trim off the layers and the highlights.

bunzfan
June 15th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Guys.. I hit BSL! :joy: Definately a motivation for me not to trim. Anything beyond this is longer than I have had in all my adult life.

Of course ends look like they need a trim and I will have to maintain for like two years to get rid of layers, but before starting to maintain I will grow it at least to waist. (But with frequent trims after January.) I might as well have long hair when I trim off the layers and the highlights.

That is fantastic :D utter motivation your plan is the same as mine.

bunzfan
June 15th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Just a bit more motivation for you all this is my hair in December
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/th_P101222003.jpg (http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/?action=view&current=P101222003.jpg)

here it is now!
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/004-10.jpg

Its grown a fair bit:)

Lize
June 15th, 2011, 03:55 AM
bunzfan - Looks lovely! Thank you for posting that. :)

bunzfan
June 15th, 2011, 03:58 AM
bunzfan - Looks lovely! Thank you for posting that. :)

I wasn't sure if it would be O.K but then i thought we all need a bit of motivation to keep going to the end, i'm just wondering how far i've got to go till i'm at waist any idea Lize:p

Lize
June 15th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I wasn't sure if it would be O.K but then i thought we all need a bit of motivation to keep going to the end, i'm just wondering how far i've got to go till i'm at waist any idea Lize:p

If it's where your hands are in the picture I'd say definitely less than a year from now. You seem to have a fast growth rate so maybe even sooner! :)

bunzfan
June 15th, 2011, 05:36 AM
If it's where your hands are in the picture I'd say definitely less than a year from now. You seem to have a fast growth rate so maybe even sooner! :)

I think its about three inches with my hair dry, so defiantly by December :)

pixiestar
June 15th, 2011, 05:46 AM

Congrats on getting to BSL:D You have very pretty hair:)

pixiestar
June 15th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Just a bit more motivation for you all this is my hair in December
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/th_P101222003.jpg (http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/?action=view&current=P101222003.jpg)

here it is now!
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/004-10.jpg

Its grown a fair bit:)

Great growing bunzfan:D beautiful hair:)

bunzfan
June 15th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Thank you Pixiestar:D

Lize
June 18th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Congrats on getting to BSL:D You have very pretty hair:)

Thank you very much! :flowers:

I am ever changing my routine. I have switched back now to CO every other day. It seems to be working out fine. I might have to clarify from time to time but it has to be better than shampoo + conditioner every other day.

S&Ding a bit today. Finding rather many splits.

Varney
June 18th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I'm really happy with the progress I've made since joining this thread. It's grown quite a bit but still remains healthy – it’s practically split free. All thanks to LHC :)

I thought it would be harder to stay away from the scissors than it turned out to be.

Then (1 January):
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd341/Varney08/minijan2011.jpg

Now:
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd341/Varney08/minijuni2011.jpg

bunzfan
June 18th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I'm really happy with the progress I've made since joining this thread. It's grown quite a bit but still remains healthy – it’s practically split free. All thanks to LHC :)

I thought it would be harder to stay away from the scissors than it turned out to be.

Then (1 January):

Now:

Good growth, your have lovely shiny waves nice :D

dragonmyst
June 18th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Mind if I join this thread? I know I am late... Usually trimming isn't an issue.... I rarely ever do. But it is hot and my hair is thick and heavy and it's hot and I hate summer...

I need to have some cheering if I am to get through this summer without hacking it off.

meh.

Varney your hair is very pretty wtg! :D

pixiestar
June 18th, 2011, 08:18 AM

Then (1 January):

Now:

Great growth, lovely hair:)

Varney
June 18th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks bunzfan, dragonmyst and pixiestar! :)

defineinsanity
June 18th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Wow everyone's done so well, i really dont know how you all do it?? now thats some serious hair super powers right there ;)

elbow chic
June 18th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I love it, Varney! And you're only halfway through!

GoatLady
June 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I am late to the party but I haven't trimmed at all this year, so count me in. I want to get to WL before doing any trimming. I'd rather have more length than neat ends.

bunzfan
June 18th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I am late to the party but I haven't trimmed at all this year, so count me in. I want to get to WL before doing any trimming. I'd rather have more length than neat ends.

Well if you've been doing it already welcome:) i found shoulder to APL took ages but then i did trim every 8 weeks!

SilvraShadows
June 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I'm so impressed with everyone's progress!! Makes me wish I was a part of the challenge still, but a year proved too long for me :( I have to take those itty bitty little steps, or little bites or I choke. Little leaps for me, it is.

But... I am trying to go through the summer clear through to October without a trim ;) Pretty sure I can do this. I'll be at 30" if I can do this. And I want badly to be out of the twenties, I have been stuck in the twenties since 1995!

Mainly, I just wanted to drop in and let you all know how encouraging it is to read of your successes and see the progress. It's wonderful!

jaine
June 18th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Here's my progress so far ... I think I posted this in another thread but not this one yet.

Last week of December (1 day after my trim):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=92150

End of May (2 weeks ago)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=103942

The pictures don't show it but it's growing in a little bit unevenly ... I think the layers on my left side are getting longer than the right, or maybe just wavier on the right ... but that's OK. Still going. Haven't seen any splits yet.
Oh and the second picture was my attempt to "straighten" it with gel ... haha. I get much curlier hair if I leave it alone or scrunch it. Just in case anyone is doubting my claim to be 2c :)

bunzfan
June 18th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I'm so impressed with everyone's progress!! Makes me wish I was a part of the challenge still, but a year proved too long for me :( I have to take those itty bitty little steps, or little bites or I choke. Little leaps for me, it is.

But... I am trying to go through the summer clear through to October without a trim ;) Pretty sure I can do this. I'll be at 30" if I can do this. And I want badly to be out of the twenties, I have been stuck in the twenties since 1995!

Mainly, I just wanted to drop in and let you all know how encouraging it is to read of your successes and see the progress. It's wonderful! Oh i understand totally i was stuck at shoulder length since 2007 until i joined last year and cut my trims to 2 a year.

Here's my progress so far ... I think I posted this in another thread but not this one yet.

Last week of December (1 day after my trim):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=92150

End of May (2 weeks ago)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=103942

The pictures don't show it but it's growing in a little bit unevenly ... I think the layers on my left side are getting longer than the right, or maybe just wavier on the right ... but that's OK. Still going. Haven't seen any splits yet.
Oh and the second picture was my attempt to "straighten" it with gel ... haha. I get much curlier hair if I leave it alone or scrunch it. Just in case anyone is doubting my claim to be 2c :)

Jaine

Your hair has really grown and it looks so pretty my curls didn't really appear till i was at least BSL.

It's so lovely seeing everyone's progress. Do any of you think your be doing 2 years of no trimming i am seriously considering it seeing what great progress i have made, i only started getting splits last month.

jaine
June 18th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Oh i understand totally i was stuck at shoulder length since 2007 until i joined last year and cut my trims to 2 a year.

Jaine

Your hair has really grown and it looks so pretty my curls didn't really appear till i was at least BSL.

It's so lovely seeing everyone's progress. Do any of you think your be doing 2 years of no trimming i am seriously considering it seeing what great progress i have made, i only started getting splits last month.

Thank you! :)

I don't think I will go 2 full years - I don't have damage but it bugs me that layers on one side are longer than the other. I'm approaching a point where it will start to feel weird wearing my hair down because of the uneven growth...I don't want to be limited like that for another year and a half!

CherrySilver
June 18th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Well, half the year is gone already, and I've managed to avoid getting a trim. I've gotten terrific growth the past year or so -- my hair is 2-3" above my knees. I'm going to try to let it go to the end of the year to get it a few inches past my knees and then cut back to my goal length of knee. Oh, patience is such a virtue....

celebriangel
June 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I'm going to join! I mean...I did a trim in April, before I knew about this thread, but I'm glad I did as I got rid of my icky, unwanted layers.

I have no further plans to trim; my hair is healthy and unsplit at the ends, and it's also very resilient, so I don't see it splitting any time in the near future. I'm really hoping I'll be at waist, or at least nearing waist (this is what I expect with my curls) by the end of this year. I think once I'm past waist I may do a tiny dusting to even up my ends if they're fraying, but if they're holding up fine I really won't bother. I've gone years without trims before and been totally fine, even when I was ripping through my hair with a brush and washing it way too often and too harshly. It only really started to complain for that brief period when I was dyeing and straightening and blowdrying and ripping through it with a brush, and no wonder!

So yeah. No trims for me. Yay! I can feel my hair growing...

jacqueline101
June 18th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I had a perm put in my hair last October and its growing out my ends were bad and I trimmed them off. I am trying the whole no trim method now. I have noticed my ends do seem to be better. I also use oil in my mister on the whole head of hair not the roots and scalp like I used to.

SpeakingEZ
June 18th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Has anyone else started to equate this challenge to a crash diet? :ponder:

PraiseCheeses
June 18th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Lize, congrats on reaching BSL!! :cheer:

jaine, that's the first picture I've seen of your hair in months, and it is looking fabulous. The color, the shine, the waves, it's just :thud:! And you've had some great growth as well - lucky girl!

jaine
June 19th, 2011, 12:03 AM
jaine, that's the first picture I've seen of your hair in months, and it is looking fabulous. The color, the shine, the waves, it's just :thud:! And you've had some great growth as well - lucky girl!

awww, thank you! :)

Princess89
June 19th, 2011, 01:28 AM
I think I joined this once upon a time but didn't really do so well. Being that we're halfway trough the year and a month ago I had 3 inches of incredible damage cut off..I'm going to join for the last 6 months and 11ish days.
I'm nervous not to have a trim until the end of the year because my hair was so damaged and I'm worried split ends will appear out of nowhere, but I have been looking after it really well since my big chop so...we'll see. :)

Lize
June 19th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Welcome to all the newcomers!

Soon we'll hit 6 months everyone! :cheer:

bunzfan
June 19th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Welcome to all the newcomers!

Soon we'll hit 6 months everyone! :cheer:

Yay i thought it was longer than that my hair has grown so much already:D

curlycrown
June 19th, 2011, 09:46 AM
When we first started this challenge I was bald. Now I have 3.5 inches of hair. No trimming is really working for me. I have no splits, knots, or damage and I don't have to dust my ends. knowing that I can't trim my hair makes me take better care of it.

SilvraShadows
June 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM
jaine ~ I like how you have your chin tucked down a bit in the second photo, rather than tilting your head up a bit which gives the appearance of longer looking hair. So, yes! Great growth!! And beautifully healthy too!

Becky9679
June 20th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I never thought I would get the trimming itch as in the past I've gone for well over 2 years with no trims and it hasn't bothered me at all. However this morning I took a picture to see the growth and I hate my hemline! It's a funny shape and all messy (last trim I had was my own handiwork and I didn't really know what I was doing so now it's growing out it looks 10 times worse :().

I'd love to sort it out but I will stay strong. We're nearly over the hump and if I can make myself leave it until the end of the year I'll have so much more growth.

McFearless
June 20th, 2011, 12:44 PM
jaine your hair has grown so much and it looks amazing. I can definately see you starting to get spiral curls as your length grows.

Sooze
June 21st, 2011, 10:59 AM
This is getting harder for me. :( Nine months without a trim, and I'm getting loads of snags and fairy knots now. No splits or anything, just knots.

McFearless
June 21st, 2011, 01:01 PM
This is getting harder for me. :( Nine months without a trim, and I'm getting loads of snags and fairy knots now. No splits or anything, just knots.

This is getting hard for me too. I haven't trimmed since November 2009 and my hair is starting to tangle out of control.

Cirafly24
June 21st, 2011, 04:21 PM
Still going strong :) I need to do some S&D, but overall it's not too bad.

SpeakingEZ
June 21st, 2011, 07:28 PM
I can't wait until the end of the month, I'm going to take a picture to mark the halfway point!

Lize
June 22nd, 2011, 04:44 AM
I can't wait until the end of the month, I'm going to take a picture to mark the halfway point!

Very good idea! That should be motivating to everyone in this thread. :) Both taking your own picture and see others's. I am also having some trouble with my hair at this point, but we're almost half way there!! If we got this far we can't back out now, right?! I am very proud of myself already. :D

pixiestar
June 22nd, 2011, 05:14 AM
Thats a great idea for us to post a pic at the half way mark:D I'm in. I'm doing ok, not to bad a condition, and I don't get to many splits:)

bunzfan
June 22nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
Due you what's the best thing so far my ends are starting to fairy tale so i can get my hair in a decent updo, before i couldn't tuck the ends into a braided bun and now i can:D

jaine
June 22nd, 2011, 02:58 PM
I love that my ends are starting to get wispier. My overall hemline still looks chunky but if I look at individual clumps the clumps taper to a point instead of a blunt cut tip. I love it. I'm tempted to go longer than a year since I really love wispy ends.

Gaelle27
June 22nd, 2011, 03:32 PM
I'll take that one! Must be easy since I hate cuting my hair!

wahmof9
June 23rd, 2011, 04:51 PM
I need your opinion...I have fine hair and it has been 6 months since I trimmed. Today I notice that I have a bunch of white dots and splits starting at the tip of my hair...I want to do a micro trim.....so do I do that or wait until Dec?

McFearless
June 23rd, 2011, 05:15 PM
So after about a week of wanting to chop back to bsl I've over it. Thanks to x0h_bother for talking me down off the ledge.

I can do this!

wahmof9
June 23rd, 2011, 06:38 PM
I guess I am out, I just microtrimmed my split ends

McFearless
June 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
I guess I am out, I just microtrimmed my split ends

You did the right thing. That kind of damage needs to go asap. Please stick around anyway :D

x0h_bother
June 23rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
So after about a week of wanting to chop back to bsl I've over it. Thanks to x0h_bother for talking me down off the ledge.

I can do this!
Your welcome!!! So glad to hear!!! Are you S&Ding?

wahmof9
June 23rd, 2011, 09:07 PM
You did the right thing. That kind of damage needs to go asap. Please stick around anyway :D

Thank you McFearless, I will :D

bte
June 24th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Hi folks - today is the 17th anniversary of my last trim. No extra growth over last year, but then no extra growth for about the last 12 years, as I have been at my terminal length since some time in 1999.
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad53/workingsheepdogbte/131147LHC.jpg
My goal?No trims until at least the end of 2033.

jackgirl
June 24th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Just found this thread - I decided myself that I wasn't allowed to cut this year after I cut about an inch or two off in January. I've done a couple of micro trims since as I have so much damage in my hair, but I need some support as I really have the urge to cut the straggly bits off today! My hair is currently at APL (just) and I really want it to be BSL. Its never been this long before, when I was a child my mum used to cut it really short in the hope it would thicken, and then I grew it to about an inch shorter than APL before dying it black and cutting it off when I was about 16. I've never been bothered about having long hair until the last few years, but have been trying to get over a bleaching and dying habit since March and would really like to grow it all now! I love the ombre look so am quite happy about it being two tone.

Sorry I was ranting a bit there! Basically I keep getting the urge to trim so I thought I'd stop here til December!

turtlelover
June 24th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I *really* am fighting the urge to trim all of the sudden. My hair is losing shape, but when I trim, one thing seems to lead to another, and then I lose ALL my new growth. So, I am here to remind myself to just put my hair up and ignore it if it begins to annoy me!:mad:

UPDATE: I think I'm out of this thread....I just trimmed maybe 1/3 of an inch. I just wasn't liking my ragged edges. I guess "no trim" isn't for me! LOL

SpeakingEZ
June 24th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I'm considering trimming 1/2" before the school year starts. I've always liked looking nice for meeting people for the first time. I'll still hit waist by January. Maybe, I don't know yet.

Rocket22
June 24th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I *really* am fighting the urge to trim all of the sudden. My hair is losing shape, but when I trim, one thing seems to lead to another, and then I lose ALL my new growth. So, I am here to remind myself to just put my hair up and ignore it if it begins to annoy me!:mad:

UPDATE: I think I'm out of this thread....I just trimmed maybe 1/3 of an inch. I just wasn't liking my ragged edges. I guess "no trim" isn't for me! LOL

well if that was the case then I would have been out long ago. I don't think that amount counts :) so stick with it and better to have a teeny tiny trim and keep going then to hate your ends and get them chopped and have to start over. So like someone said to me we will count that as a s&d :)

turtlelover
June 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM
well if that was the case then I would have been out long ago. I don't think that amount counts :) so stick with it and better to have a teeny tiny trim and keep going then to hate your ends and get them chopped and have to start over. So like someone said to me we will count that as a s&d :)

I am feeling much, much better about my hair after just the tiniest bit of shaping, so perhaps you are right. I hadn't trimmed my bottom layer since January, so I guess I shouldn't be TOO hard on myself.

Vegasrenie
June 24th, 2011, 01:22 PM
In May I had the last of the relaxer (2" worth!) removed and now am on a no trims for a year or so crusade. I henna and cowash my hair, so split ends are not a problem. I sometimes blowdry and flat iron - my hair in its natural state barely touches my shoulders, almost APL when I fell like bothering with it - but almost always let it dry naturally. At the age of 59, my hair is thick, lustrous and healthy - no more chemicals for me!

I think it's easier to do this if you don't have to deal with the damage that's caused by the chemicals. This is so much better and give me more peace of mind.

TheBluffs
June 24th, 2011, 02:28 PM

I did a 2 hour S&D sesion, and seemed to have got most of them of. :D I think I must have taken off about 0.5 inches, but it wasn't a big trim.

Monkie
June 26th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I trimmed earlier this month, it feels so much better, but now I am back on the wagon for the rest of the summer. My front layers are finally long enough that I can s&d if I want to!

Lize
June 26th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I've been experiencing some dryness lately and my hair is very prone to tangles and splits (for being my hair). I have vowed to go through with this challenge so I think it's time for me to change my routine a bit. I have reached BSL now and I can actually tell my hair has gotten longer. It tangles easier and it gets stuck underneath me or my BF when I lay in bed. It seems to get pretty roughed up from sleeping.

The changes I am going to make:

I will get back to CO washing. I have been sloppy lately and have used shampoo quite a lot, but there's really no reason for me not to CO. I will clarify with SLS shampoo today and then start. Right now my hair is covered in heavy amounts of coconut oil.
I will put a small amount oil in my length after every wash.
I will do prewash coconut oil treatments before every time I wash my hair at home.
I will start to wear my hair in protective updos more. As often as possible. Buns are killers when it comes to protection.
I will start wearing braids for sleeping. I have noticed I actually need to cause I have reached that length now.
I will use satin pillowcases.

Anyone else in need of a more caring routine at this point?

Shield31
June 26th, 2011, 09:23 AM
It was one year ago today that I had my last trim. The results are in the picture below. As soon as my camera comes back from Paris, I'm going to take a "one year later" photo and post it. :):):) I'm still not planning on doing a trim for the rest of the year too!

prettykitty
June 26th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I think I'm kind of in 'by accident' at this point. I had a trim some time last year...but I don't really remember when....
I bought some scissors with a view to self-trimming or doing some s & d.....but after a close examination of my ends, there's no splits, no dots, nothing.
I do wear it up a lot, and oil the ends of my hair religiously...is it weird that I was sort of wanting to get a little scissor-happy :p
Oh well, it's thin, and a bit flat...but apparently split proof!

Princess89
June 27th, 2011, 03:06 AM
I haven't been in this challenge very long but I'm definitely seeing the benefits. When I measured a week and a bit ago I'd gotten an inch of growth in a month (my hair is usually pretty slow at growing) and I think it helps I wear it up everyday and I've given up the dye...I'm in a few challenges :D haha looking forward to the end of the year when I can see how much real growth I got (I'm also taking 1 photo a month as well)

ooo
June 27th, 2011, 03:58 AM
I know, I'm early, but this is the comparison shot:
http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww203/quallest/up/4b033a71.jpg

vloucak
June 27th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I've been experiencing some dryness lately and my hair is very prone to tangles and splits (for being my hair). I have vowed to go through with this challenge so I think it's time for me to change my routine a bit. I have reached BSL now and I can actually tell my hair has gotten longer. It tangles easier and it gets stuck underneath me or my BF when I lay in bed. It seems to get pretty roughed up from sleeping.

The changes I am going to make:
I will get back to CO washing. I have been sloppy lately and have used shampoo quite a lot, but there's really no reason for me not to CO. I will clarify with SLS shampoo today and then start. Right now my hair is covered in heavy amounts of coconut oil.
I will put a small amount oil in my length after every wash.
I will do prewash coconut oil treatments before every time I wash my hair at home.
I will start to wear my hair in protective updos more. As often as possible. Buns are killers when it comes to protection.
I will start wearing braids for sleeping. I have noticed I actually need to cause I have reached that length now.
I will use satin pillowcases.
Anyone else in need of a more caring routine at this point?

Hi, my hair is quite in trouble I have a lot of splits and dots, thin ends and they are really dry....
I am not sure what I should do with them because even if I did a micro trim (in past) I dont know why but my split and dots were back in no time .... I use neutral henna once a month and do some oiling before wash I do CWC because my hair really hate CO (dont know why?)

I would like to ask you what are protective updos? I dont like my hair down (it is too hot on my neck) so I am wearing buns everyday I usually use hair forks sometimes hair sticks. I do lazy wrap bun and nautilus bun and lately I often do grahtoe bun are they protective enought? Thanks ;)

DecafJane
June 27th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I am inadvertently doing this one, too - I am aiming to not trim until waist, which will be in about 2013. I started at shoulder length at the start of the year and am now just over half-way between shoulder and APL, so hopefully by the end of the year I will be past APL and on the way to BSL.

Anyway, I'm just enjoying the different lengths along the way this time, so no great rush, I'm just enjoying the freedom from regular haircuts. :cheese:

Lize
June 28th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Hey guys! I measured today since we are now half time :joy: (erm.. well in a couple of days...)!

My starting length was 60 cm/23.6 inches. Today's measurement was 66 cm/26 inches. That means it's grown only 1 cm a month, or a bit less than 0.5 inch. I remember it as it used to grow 0.5 inch and not less last time I was doing measurements, but it's never been fast growing so I might just have to accept that this is my growth rate. :(

Anyway, now that I estimated my growth rate I can also take a look at my goals. :D If my hair keeps growing at the same rate I should be at exactly 72 cm/28.3 inches at the end of this challenge in December. If I don't cut my hair I should be at waist in about one year's time. I probably will have to cut a bit before that but that really makes me wanna try to minimize my trimming until then. Once I hit waist, which is a major in between goal for me, I think I will maintain there for a while to thicken up hemline, get rid of layers and some highlights. The most important thing though is to thicken up ends. When the ends are thick enough I might continue to tailbone. I don't think I will go on to tailbone until I feel good about my hair, and that it's thick enough to grow that long. I have no idea if my hair will look good at that length. Anyway waist feels almost reachable at this point, since I have managed to get half way through this challenge! Will post update pictures ASAP. :D

How are you guys doing? Waiting to see some half time update pics of progress! :D