PDA

View Full Version : No trims in 2011 challenge!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

rose.grace
January 25th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I'm playing Ostrich. I don't want to know if I have any split ends. If I do, I'm hoping that if I keep them coated with sebum, it will protect them and keep them from catching onto other hairs and damaging them (which I read is the reason trims are so widely touted) .

Amraann
January 25th, 2011, 09:08 AM
You s&d once a month? Are you sure you're neurotic enough to qualify for this group? ;)
I s&d about every 10 minutes!

HAHAH!!!

I will try to keep up so as not to get kicked out of the group;)

Ravenwaves 88
January 25th, 2011, 09:48 AM
S&D confuses me. I don't think I have any split ends because I don't see any but I mean...I must have some, right?? Everybody must have some!

There is a drawing of all the different types of splits you can possibly get somewhere on this forum......I had a few types I didn't even know were considered split ends....or bent ends ect....

Those bent ends are perpetually snagging other hairs and knotting them up.

Saila_
January 25th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Here is the image that explains different kinds of split ends:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189

PiroskaCicu
January 25th, 2011, 06:12 PM
That's a really good chart!

Tikwichka
January 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I wish I saw this thread before today! I am currently 36" but in need of a trim (I intend to do this myself as hairdressers have a bad history with my hair...) I wish you all the best of luck with your growth :D

Rosepot
January 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I trimmed my hair - up to my ears.. BUT it was all a dream thankfully!! I was so distraught when i woke up! :shake: I had to go to a mirror to check, even though I could see it was still long :)

Phew :p

Kalypso
January 26th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I solemnly swear that I will not trim till 2012.

silverjen
January 26th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I came close to chopping yesterday. The impulse has passed, fortunately. Must stay strong!

jaine
January 26th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I came close to chopping yesterday. The impulse has passed, fortunately. Must stay strong!

Good job!!! ;)

Messyhair
January 26th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Well, I already trimmed this year, but I vow to have no more trims in 2011. I may, however, trim first thing on January 1, 2012. :P I'm trying to fix the shape of my hair, but I'm not keen on losing any length too soon, so this should be easy enough to stick to.

rose.grace
January 27th, 2011, 07:08 AM
My biggest temptation is that last time I went to a hairdresser (Sept '10) she cut my hair shorter on one side than the other. It's tempting to try to have that corrected, I'm not going to. But if there's a temptation to have a trim, this is it! I figure the worst that can happen is people will look at me and whisper behind my back, "Do you see that? That woman's hair is cut crooked!It's shorter on one side, Look!"

I'm sure they're already saying it and have since Oct. Oh, well...

SilvraShadows
January 27th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Yes, yes, yes.... I fell off the wagon but I will climb back aboard if you all let me. But in getting ready for work my ultra wispy ends kept getting caught in everything!!! And wrapped up in my comb, they are so thin that I would think I was at the end of my length when in fact I wasn't. I was miserable, hurried, etc.

It wasn't good for my fragile tresses.

So... I trimmed it back about 1 1/2 inches and just like that it was all good again and I love my hair! So maybe 27 inches is my favorite length... it does seem better now. Feels and even looks so much better. Maybe the thickness is catching up! And it's sure behaving for me in my morning rush.

Back to no trimming ...if I am not banned :(

SilvraShadows
January 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM
My biggest temptation is that last time I went to a hairdresser (Sept '10) she cut my hair shorter on one side than the other. It's tempting to try to have that corrected, I'm not going to. But if there's a temptation to have a trim, this is it! I figure the worst that can happen is people will look at me and whisper behind my back, "Do you see that? That woman's hair is cut crooked!It's shorter on one side, Look!"

I'm sure they're already saying it and have since Oct. Oh, well...

We live in an imperfect world, and I always like to think of how the Native Americans would place a bead that was off color in their work, or weave in an imperfection in their baskets to remind them of such.

So if I snip off a bit too much in one section or on one side, this is what I remember my mother-in-law's old and wise Paiute friend saying, although it has nothing to do with hair! I just sort of apply that thought to my own trimming experience.

And I have learned all too well that if I attempt to even it up... it becomes an obsession and I end up with much shorter hair then wanted!

Right now I have a little snipped section on the left that is shorter...

rose.grace
January 27th, 2011, 01:21 PM
We live in an imperfect world, and I always like to think of how the Native Americans would place a bead that was off color in their work, or weave in an imperfection in their baskets to remind them of such.

So if I snip off a bit too much in one section or on one side, this is what I remember my mother-in-law's old and wise Paiute friend saying, although it has nothing to do with hair! I just sort of apply that thought to my own trimming experience.

And I have learned all too well that if I attempt to even it up... it becomes an obsession and I end up with much shorter hair then wanted!

Right now I have a little snipped section on the left that is shorter...Exactly. I once had a friend trim my hair. I wanted it straight across, like a dutchboy and she took one side and angled it. I said, "Oh, I didn't want that, I wanted it just straight like this," and showed her. So she says, "Well, now we have to do the other side so they'll match," And I said, "No, we'll just leave it." And I did. She thought I was nuts. I very much enjoyed the side that was cut the way I wanted it and ignored the other. :p

What you said is so true. Imperfections are part of life and the spice of it. And especially ditto about ending up with it much shorter once you start trying to make it all even. I once heard someone say if one side is cut, the other side will shrink in sympathy. Or something like that. So it'll never be perfectly even. Long hair doesn't show it as much but mine is just shoulder-length right now. The left side is past shoulders and lays nice. The right side has what looks like a chunk out of it but I'm not touching it. Once it's a few inches longer both sides should lay behind my shoulders nicely instead of one past and one barely touching. We shall see...

Thanks for helping me past that little temptation there.

jaine
January 27th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I envy those of you who can still keep growing if your hair is cut unevenly!! It's way too tempting for me to try to fix stuff like that in the bathroom and then I cave in, cut it on my own, and end up making things worse in the end and several inches shorter while I adjust it and re-adjust it over the course of several weeks. Once I take the first snip it's like I've opened a flood gate of permission to cut my hair in the bathroom.

So far the only thing I've found that can truly keep me away from the scissors for more than 6 months in a row is a really good professional haircut. The more expensive the better, so that when it appears to be uneven (which is quite frequently with 2c hair :) ) I can just tell myself "I paid a lot of money for this haircut and she double-checked it and it's EVEN and I will not mess it up! It probably just dried in a funny shape but underneath that, it's even." I guess, my urge to be frugal is one of the few things that's stronger than than my urge to "fix" shape issues. (I put fix in quotes because historically, my attempts to cut my hair ALWAYS turn out worse than they started.)

SilvraShadows
January 27th, 2011, 01:59 PM
...Thanks for helping me past that little temptation there.

Your welcome:flower:

I envy those of you who can still keep growing if your hair is cut unevenly!! It's way too tempting for me to try to fix stuff like that in the bathroom and then I cave in, cut it on my own, and end up making things worse in the end and several inches shorter while I adjust it and re-adjust it over the course of several weeks. Once I take the first snip it's like I've opened a flood gate of permission to cut my hair in the bathroom.

This was me. Exactly. "Over the course of several weeks... Once I take the first snip... I've opened a flood gate of permission to cut my hair in the bathroom." Yep, that would be me too!!! To the letter.

Except I get stuck in the bathroom! Simply because I gave up going to the salons. Most hairdressers (and I have gone to the more elite ones too hoping for the best) tend to handle my hair too gingerly and then the cut is not even to my liking. No matter what, it's a rare one who can get it right... nice and even. I've learned that when I get it right... it's a much better cut than a professional can do because my hair is so thin, every wrong snip shows up.

Demetra
January 27th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I'm down for this no trim challenge! It will be especially difficult for me since my mom is a hairdresser and likes to talk me into "just trimming those ends up a bit"

No more, mom! It's my hair and your scissors are staying far from it for a whole year (and maybe even longer than that...) :D

rosek
January 28th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I didn't want to lock myself into joining this thread, because my hair had already been 10 months without a trim. Earlier this month when we were flooded, I dusted the front half and trimmed the racer hairs (my DBF thought this process hilarious and weird). I've been feeling the need lately to cut or color my hair, or just change something drastically about my appearance.

So I got a nose piercing. I've never studied psychology, but I'm pretty sure I just avoided getting a haircut by getting a nose piercing instead to satisfy my need for change.

Theres a novel suggestion for dealing with urges to trim or cut :p

PS - I'm still not joining the thread, because I don't know that I want to go the whole year without trimming at all, but I am following along!

Saila_
January 28th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Okay, I think I need some support. :(
I was playing around with my hair today and realized how horrible it looks when it's wet and it has conditioner and I comb it straight down... I'm recovering from thinning shears and it just looks like I have a million split ends, even though I don't have any, and my hair is not damaged at all. Ughhhh... I guess I am going to have to get rid of this eventually, right? It's like 6 inches...

Luckily, my hair is curly and you can't see the fake split ends then since they are in a spiral.

Sigh.

Shicurls
January 28th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Saila I so understand where you are! Thankfully curls do hide the ends, and with some dusting and s&D's you will grow them out. Just baby them and use lots of conditioner. For me I had to do the lightest of dustings to feel comfortable. It was just enough that they stopped tangling, but not enough that I lost length nor did I lose all of the ragged ends. Good luck!

Saila_
January 28th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Saila I so understand where you are! Thankfully curls do hide the ends, and with some dusting and s&D's you will grow them out. Just baby them and use lots of conditioner. For me I had to do the lightest of dustings to feel comfortable. It was just enough that they stopped tangling, but not enough that I lost length nor did I lose all of the ragged ends. Good luck!

Thanks for responding!

Does thinned hair tangle more than one length hair? I have not noticed it yet, but I am wondering if I should be aware of it.

Gilly
January 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Well that did not last long!!
I got my hair cut yesterday, it has been driving me nuts for a while and I could take it no more, I did apply the two week rule but I have just had enough of stressing about how awful it looks at the back (ratty, uneven and very dry looking) I had it cut tothe base of my neck and it looks so much better, I have a head full of curly whurly hair again now that the awful dry tattered ends have gone, it looks much healthier too!

So sorry, I am bowing out of this thread!

Lize
January 28th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Well that did not last long!!
I got my hair cut yesterday, it has been driving me nuts for a while and I could take it no more, I did apply the two week rule but I have just had enough of stressing about how awful it looks at the back (ratty, uneven and very dry looking) I had it cut tothe base of my neck and it looks so much better, I have a head full of curly whurly hair again now that the awful dry tattered ends have gone, it looks much healthier too!

So sorry, I am bowing out of this thread!

Okay Gilly. I hope you are happy with your cut! :)

I am still going strong and now most of us have gone a whole month!! Only eleven to go! :D

So tell me guys, what are your plans for after the challenge? I think I will cut 1/2 an ich or so to even things up in January 2012, but not much more. Then I will probably go back to trimming whenever I feel like I need to. I rarely take off more than 1/2 an inch, and I doubt I will any day soon. I will grow it to waist and then see if I want it longer. Maybe I'll maintain there for a while to improve the condition and maybe continue on to tailbone. But maybe I'll stay at waist.

Saila_
January 28th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Okay Gilly. I hope you are happy with your cut! :)

I am still going strong and now most of us have gone a whole month!! Only eleven to go! :D

So tell me guys, what are your plans for after the challenge? I think I will cut 1/2 an ich or so to even things up in January 2012, but not much more. Then I will probably go back to trimming whenever I feel like I need to. I rarely take off more than 1/2 an inch, and I doubt I will any day soon. I will grow it to waist and then see if I want it longer. Maybe I'll maintain there for a while to improve the condition and maybe continue on to tailbone. But maybe I'll stay at waist.

Gilly - I'm glad you did what's best for your hair! It sounds like you did the right thing.

Lize - I have a similar plan. I'm probably going to trim .5 inch in January 2012. (Wow! That seems so far away!) I'm growing out a lot of layers, so I have no idea what this will look like in a year.

I am doing this challenge under the assumption that my ends won't start splitting or looking bad in general, given that I take general care.

I have curly hair, so length is kind of a gray area. :rolleyes: My length varies greatly on how I style it while it's wet. Typically though, I get about 4-6 inches of shrinkage. I prefer my hair as curly as it can be, so I don't mind the shrinkage that much. However, it does extend my time growing by roughly a year.

I don't know how long I want it yet. No clear goals in mind. I'm trying to sit back and enjoy the journey.

Cirafly24
January 29th, 2011, 12:29 AM
My plan is to go the entire year without trimming, and with only the occasional S&D. I'll keep my hair up as much as possible to protect the ends, and then we'll see what I have at the end of the year. If the ends are looking shabby, I'll trim a bit off. Mostly I just want to see how much I can grow in a year with no trims!

ancilla
January 29th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I've kept my promise!! I haven't trimmed at all, except if you count the careful S&D's I've done. My hair measures 33" up from my 32.5" in December. I am taking 1000mcg of Biotin and a multi vitamin a day. (Thinking of trying DE again just for fun, but we will see).

Kaeita
January 29th, 2011, 01:06 AM
I'm still fighting the occasional urge to shave it all off. I've had a lot of regrowth after a very stressful year last year (my hair grew a lot, but obviously a lot fell out along the way). I have enough regrowth at 10cm (4") to make a reasonably thick fringe/bangs, if it all grew in one place. All the different lengths sticking up everywhere are really annoying me, but I know that the growing out will be worse. I don't look any good with short hair either.

I have no idea if I have split/damaged ends or not. When I had it trimmed earlier this month, the hairdresser said the ends were damaged from the layers hacked into my hair, and trimmed the top a bit shorter than the rest to remove as much of the damage as she could, so I'm assuming they're in pretty good shape at the moment. They have felt dry and tangled a few times this week, but feel better with plenty of conditioner and oil. I've tried looking at them, which is hard with it so short, and sometimes think I see splits, but when I look closer, I can't find them, so I don't know if it's just 2 hairs sticking together then separating again.

As for my long-term plans, I haven't decided yet if I'll trim in January, and make that my standard thing, or in December so I can go all of 2012 without trims, or if I should wait until next May/June so my annual trim is at the end of Summer, and thus at the end of the swimming season. Oh well, plenty of time to decide :)

freckles
January 29th, 2011, 03:40 AM
I'm still here. I could really do with a thorough S&D. Maybe I should just buy some new scissors --but it seems like a waste of money since I already have a pair, just not here.

My plans after the challenge (if I do keep it all year) depend on how much length I get. My ultimate goal is tailbone, and potentially I could be very near there by the end of the year -- so if I reach it in the no trims challenge, then in January 2012 I will begin maintaining. Otherwise, I'll just trim a small amount and keep heading on to tailbone :)

Lemur_Catta
January 29th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I hope to reach tailbone by the end of the year, and then start maintaining till I have trimmed off most of the damage. I don't know if I ever want to grow to classic, it depends on how I will feel about my hair at tailbone.

jaine
January 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Gilly - I'm glad that you are happy about your new cut! :)

Lize - After this challenge I'm going to get on a schedule where I get one haircut per year, in the fall. I figure fall is the best time to get a haircut because it will last the longest: Summer growth makes my hair very uneven and winter growth is much slower and more even, so end of summer is when I'm most annoyed by my hair, and the shape will last longer while my hair is growing slower.

I'm happy to report that my bangs are 1/2" longer than they were when I got my haircut a month ago! That is more than I expected for winter growth ... maybe my sporadic vitamin usage is helping :)

bunzfan
January 29th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Well i have some positive news for this group since my last trim back in Dec my hair has grown loads as you can see from my new signature picture, the oiling the ends and wearing it up pretty much all the time is certainly working for me:D

Celtic Morla
January 29th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I'm in!! Quite frankly I do not know the last time I trimmed my hair!!LOL Tryign to grow it out I think it was maybe last April?may maybe? I truly have no clue! I need to get a pic so I cna determine the true length. But I have healthy ends no splits just a little dry but that is changing quickly ! A customer felt my hair the other day and was shocked by how soft it is...you know usually grey hair is coarse and nasty..LOL!

GrowingGlory
January 29th, 2011, 10:56 AM
After I have grown for a year without a haircut, I will just leave it alone if it is in good condition and especially if it reaches terminal length.
I will go for a haircut to remove damage if necessary, but I am really trying to take good care of my hair this year so as to avoid the salon chair!

Flutterbee
January 29th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I'm in!! I had planned not to trim until I reach BSL and see how my layers look grown out. I'm guesstimating to reach BSL sometime next year, so I won't be trimming this year at all!!

akuamoonmaui
January 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM
So far, so good with me. I haven't measured yet, but I'm starting to feel my hair on my ribs more so than in the past.

The first week or two I had that irritating impulse to trim. I think it was just because I'd made the resolution..... But that seems to have passed now, so I think this will be manageable.

I'm thinking my next commitment challenge will be in June or so.

Sientara
January 29th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I am in as well. My last trim was Sept. '09 and I am going to continue on. I was seriously considering a trim because of tangling issues, but a good S&D took care of that.

SarahBeth
January 30th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Just checking in a the end of the first month to say all is well. I still haven't had to battle the urge to trim too bad. Hope everyone is still hanging in there.

ooo
January 30th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I haven't measured yet and I won't till the end of the year. Strange enough my hair seems to get thicker. It's probably because my layers are growing out and start to integrait into my hairstyles.

Rocket22
January 30th, 2011, 04:00 PM
still hanging in there.. I have tiny urge to trim only because it's been since August.. but I'm not gonna I want to get as much growth as I can. just posted new photos in album and Im making some progress and that is what will keep me going :)

Saila_
January 30th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I haven't measured yet and I won't till the end of the year. Strange enough my hair seems to get thicker. It's probably because my layers are growing out and start to integrait into my hairstyles.

I have noticed my hair getting thicker as well. Ugggh, stupid thinning shears and layers! I wonder how this is going to look as my hair gets longer. :confused:

jaine
January 30th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I'm happy I haven't gotten any trimming urges yet. :D I've had some "that'll look better once I have a few more inches" urges, but no trimming urges.

virgo75
January 30th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I'm thinking about joining.

But every time I join a "no trim" challenge I fail. :(

I gain a bit of length but then there's something I don't like about it - either my ends are uneven, scraggly, I'll have some splits, tangles, etc. Then out come the scissors. :shake:

I'm gonna tryyyyyyyy.

At the very least I'm gonna try to hold out until September. :p

Best of luck to all the no-trimmers though.
Hope you all have fast, E.V.E.N. growth. lol

CrisDee
January 31st, 2011, 06:01 AM
Virgo, I feel your pain, I'm the same way! I'm oftentimes better off not joining a challenge if I actually want to accomplish something. But I'm gonna make it happen this time - I'm joining this challenge today! I had a trim on January 15, 2011 to try to even up the razor cut ends. My hair looks SO much better with completely blunt ends, so I wanted to try to get a little closer to all-one-length - but I discovered after the trim that it's still WAY too short for that. :( So the heck with it - I'm just not going to trim, cut or otherwise lose length until at least APL, so I might as well just swear off the scissors for this year. :D

freckles
January 31st, 2011, 06:05 AM
I'm thinking about joining.

But every time I join a "no trim" challenge I fail. :(

I gain a bit of length but then there's something I don't like about it - either my ends are uneven, scraggly, I'll have some splits, tangles, etc. Then out come the scissors. :shake:

I'm gonna tryyyyyyyy.

At the very least I'm gonna try to hold out until September. :p

Best of luck to all the no-trimmers though.
Hope you all have fast, E.V.E.N. growth. lol

I'm still hanging around here, and I'm not TOTALLY committed to the challenge, either. I'm going to go till July, and then I'll decide if I can try to go the rest of the year. Nobody's kicked me out of the thread yet, so if officially joining is too much for you, just do like I do and be non-committal about it but hang around here for inspiration :)

GrowingGlory
January 31st, 2011, 07:40 AM
Just a little itchy but making it through the next month. Ends look good and growth is even. Why do I itch for a haircut? Blame it on Adam Smith!

virgo75
January 31st, 2011, 08:01 AM
Virgo, I feel your pain, I'm the same way! I'm oftentimes better off not joining a challenge if I actually want to accomplish something. But I'm gonna make it happen this time - I'm joining this challenge today! I had a trim on January 15, 2011 to try to even up the razor cut ends. My hair looks SO much better with completely blunt ends, so I wanted to try to get a little closer to all-one-length - but I discovered after the trim that it's still WAY too short for that. :( So the heck with it - I'm just not going to trim, cut or otherwise lose length until at least APL, so I might as well just swear off the scissors for this year. :D

I'm still hanging around here, and I'm not TOTALLY committed to the challenge, either. I'm going to go till July, and then I'll decide if I can try to go the rest of the year. Nobody's kicked me out of the thread yet, so if officially joining is too much for you, just do like I do and be non-committal about it but hang around here for inspiration :)

Thank you for the support CrisDee and Freckles. :flower:
Glad to see I'm not alone in this. :p

I'm hoping we'll all be able to hold off on the trimming and will have fast, healthy hair growth that doesn't inspire snipping.

Good luck to you too! :)

jaine
January 31st, 2011, 10:24 AM
Hi Crisdee! :) :waving:

I'm in the "wait and see" group too, I have to admit. My #1 goal is to avoid cutting it myself in the bathroom. I always cut too much and then I still need a professional haircut to even up the layers that I messed up. Better to just start with the professional trim if I get to the point where I can't resist cutting. I will lose less length in the end. A professional haircut is the only thing I've found so far that definitely prevents me from cutting it in the bathroom, so I have to weigh my options carefully. I will do my best to avoid all cutting, but I have to just wait and see how bad the urge is.

Luckily I haven't had any cutting urges yet, but it's still early in the year... right around July is when I expect to start getting the urge to "fix" things.

Cirafly24
January 31st, 2011, 07:29 PM
I'm totally committed! I trimmed twice in 2010, probably about 2-2.5" inches total, so I think I'm good for a year :) I didn't trim at all from April 09-June 10, and I didn't really *need* a trim after that, so I think it should be fine.

I'm so excited when I think that if I didn't trim at all in 2010, I would be only 1/2" from goal!

Valdeon
February 3rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
I am still with you, guys! My ends are looking pretty good so far, but I cut on the conditioner, so I am a bit worried how my ends will react to this change.

Hylia
February 3rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
I think i`ll join in (although I had a microtrim in jan). No more from this date on.

Ravenwaves 88
February 3rd, 2011, 05:59 PM
Oh my gosh......not 10 min ago I had the sheers in my hand ready to chop an inch.....it really does change your perspective when you feel like you'll be wasting something you earned fair and square.....jeez....trimming used to be fun now it's mental anguish...lol:o

jaine
February 3rd, 2011, 06:00 PM
Oh my gosh......not 10 min ago I had the sheers in my hand ready to chop an inch.....it really does change your perspective when you feel like you'll be wasting something you earned fair and square.....jeez....trimming used to be fun now it's mental anguish...lol:o

That sounds like a victory! woohoo! :D

McFearless
February 3rd, 2011, 10:51 PM
Holy crap our hair will be so much longer in a year.

Muahahhaah!

Saila_
February 3rd, 2011, 11:48 PM
Holy crap our hair will be so much longer in a year.

Muahahhaah!

:cheese:

It's going to be great.

Sjirsten
February 4th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I am a 100 % committed to this challenge!
Ha have been growing out damaged bleached to death layered hair for...almost two years now and got my last big trim in December. I finally reached APL and I cut back to shoulder.
Depressing stuff...But I can already see some growth and the best thing; no split ends yet! That must mean that my hair no longer is a damaged mess and I can move on to actually gaining length.
YAY!!

ooo
February 4th, 2011, 02:00 AM
One month done, 11 to come :)

Messyhair
February 4th, 2011, 07:36 PM
My trim history has been okay, and I'm still okay with letting it grow for the year. My last trim was just in January to even up the shape of the shorter layers with the rest of the hair, but before that, my last trim was July 2009.

KLin
February 4th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Changing hair routine, more vinegar rinses, jojoba oil occasional beer rinse. Tried rosemary and sage for darker color of greys. No trims and wearing hair up most of the time.

We have been on a holiday for two weeks, home today back to new routine and hair looks and feels great. Will need to measure soon. Would have normally trimed already at least once..but would rather go for growth.:)

vintersaga
February 5th, 2011, 01:15 AM
So far so good for me. I haven't trimmed since april 2010 when I did my buzzcut and my hair still seems healthy, and I am pretty convinced I will make this year out, unless something very unpredictable occures. I don't have many splits and those I have I snip off à la S&D. :)

Benign neglect is good stuff:cloud9:

miss_purple
February 5th, 2011, 02:56 AM

That's a good one! :D
BTW, same here, too.

Veer666
February 5th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I am still here too!

Did some s&d yesterday and found my first split ends in about a year!
I found about 5 and the rest looked healthy. Hopefully I will get through 2011 without trimming together with all of you!

Taika
February 5th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Can I join you? I know it is allready february, but still?? :blossom: I have had a trim in nowember, I think, and 3. of january I had my bangs cut. Im not sure if I can do this, but I could try.
S&D Is necessary though, but I think I might be ready for growing my bangs out.

Roscata
February 5th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Can I join you? I know it is allready february, but still?? :blossom: I have had a trim in nowember, I think, and 3. of january I had my bangs cut. Im not sure if I can do this, but I could try.
S&D Is necessary though, but I think I might be ready for growing my bangs out.

Cutting bangs is ok according to the rules, so you can definitely join us. Welcome! :D

Taika
February 5th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I wasn´t quite there yet in the topic, but nice that bangs will not be an issue. ;) So, Im in.:D

lw8666
February 5th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I am definitely going to need some support with the No Trims in 2011. I want to stay away from the scissors, but I already know it will be a struggle. I survived not trimming in 2010, but there were times were I almost gave in because I couldn't stand all the breakage I caused from wearing my hair up in a ponytail constantly. I had a successful 2010 and I'm just about at APL now, but I wont make it official until my anniversary date.

When I need support, Ill come here and vent! :)

jaine
February 5th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Cheers to everyone who joined us!
I am happy to report I haven't trimmed yet! My hair is feeling noticeably bigger and longer already...I like these challenges that don't actually require me to do anything. :)

Sanyia
February 5th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I am joining too!

AerithMoon
February 5th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'm joining. Time to stop cutting my hair every time I hate it and give those layers a chance to grow. Last trim was in October.

Cirafly24
February 6th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I like these challenges that don't actually require me to do anything. :)

Haha me too!

No trims for me :)

Bonkers57
February 6th, 2011, 02:43 PM
So far, so good. My last trim was in September.

Girliness
February 6th, 2011, 03:23 PM
My hair is a solid curtain to just below shoulder length and then almost immediately goes sheer down to my tail bone. I had thought of cutting the sheer part off because it looks strange to me to have almost a line of demarcation...

Any thoughts on what the cause of this could be? And would I benefit more by joining this movement or would I be better served to take off the sheer part (fairytale?) and then swear off trims?

jaine
February 6th, 2011, 03:31 PM
My hair is a solid curtain to just below shoulder length and then almost immediately goes sheer down to my tail bone. I had thought of cutting the sheer part off because it looks strange to me to have almost a line of demarcation...

Any thoughts on what the cause of this could be? And would I benefit more by joining this movement or would I be better served to take off the sheer part (fairytale?) and then swear off trims?

Welcome!! :)
If you look in the shoulder-length zone and find some ends - are they new hairs (tapered) or breakage (more blunt, or split). That could help you figure out whether or not you need to make adjustments to your routine ... if something is causing breakage I would look at that first. If it's just a big shed that ended a year or so ago, with regrowth down to shoulder length, you can probably just wait and it will fill in.

As for what to do, it depends on how you want to wear your hair ... if you're wearing it up all the time then you might prefer to keep it long with small trims until the thicker part catches up.

Girliness
February 6th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Thank you for your response! I have fairly recently changed my hair care routine. I had been using the dryer too hot and too close as well as an iron on occasion. I'm on my way out the door, but will look at the shoulder length ends tonight and report.

Thank you again!!

lacefrost
February 6th, 2011, 10:11 PM
My hair is almost BSL! So excited! I'm like 2-3 months away!

Girliness
February 7th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Welcome!! :)
If you look in the shoulder-length zone and find some ends - are they new hairs (tapered) or breakage (more blunt, or split). That could help you figure out whether or not you need to make adjustments to your routine ... if something is causing breakage I would look at that first. If it's just a big shed that ended a year or so ago, with regrowth down to shoulder length, you can probably just wait and it will fill in.

As for what to do, it depends on how you want to wear your hair ... if you're wearing it up all the time then you might prefer to keep it long with small trims until the thicker part catches up.

Got a raging headache yesterday and just now found the motivation to take a look at the shoulder-length hair. It looks like mainly new growth (with the wirey, tapered tips) and a few split ends...

-j-
February 7th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Yesterday I found the first split end since THE cut in 2009 and was horrified! But I guess it is not so bad, because it was only one hair, and after all, I last cut in 2009 :p

I have to take extra care of my hair not to get more splits. Don´t want to cut in 2011, and not in the coming years either. Don´t want to be forced to S&D either.

vintersaga
February 7th, 2011, 04:36 AM

Yay! Only 11 months to come! Time's going to swoooooshh past :run: :D

skaempfer
February 7th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Yay! Only 11 months to come! Time's going to swoooooshh past :run: :D

Nope- ten months and 3 weeks! :D

Chin up, everyone! February is a short month, then we'll be 1/6 of the way through!

vintersaga
February 7th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Nope- ten months and 3 weeks! :D

Chin up, everyone! February is a short month, then we'll be 1/6 of the way through!

Even better! I get so excited! 1/6 of the way? Really? :happydance: *wiee*

ooo
February 7th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I had a little bit of glue (or who knows what it was) cut out of my hair. Now I'm missing a bit of my nape hair. I don't think it's too bad.

NotInPortland
February 7th, 2011, 05:14 PM
My last trim was in December '09...hoping to continue without trimming for a good while but I've got quite a few split ends I may have to give in eventually :(

Cirafly24
February 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I got superglue in my hair last night :o

I was terrified I'd have to cut it, because rather than just try to soak up the little beads of glue with a tissue, I panicked and tried to WIPE it off...which just spread it around onto more hair.

Luckily, when it dried, I was able to pick apart the pieces that were stuck together and kind of slide the hard glue off. It was kind of time-consuming, but I saved my hair! Didn't have to cut :D

georgia_peach
February 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Even better! I get so excited! 1/6 of the way? Really? :happydance: *wiee*

I agree! This is inspiring!!

Cirafly,So glad you didn't have to cut your hair. :)

jaine
February 7th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I got superglue in my hair last night :o

I was terrified I'd have to cut it, because rather than just try to soak up the little beads of glue with a tissue, I panicked and tried to WIPE it off...which just spread it around onto more hair.

Luckily, when it dried, I was able to pick apart the pieces that were stuck together and kind of slide the hard glue off. It was kind of time-consuming, but I saved my hair! Didn't have to cut :D

Oh my ... that sounds frightening, two people got glue in their hair on the same day!

I've heard that acetone dissolves superglue, but I'm not sure what it would do to the hair.

This must be the day for glue accidents because my dentist got some sort of plasticky glue stuck to my cheek while he was making a mold of my tooth. My cheek is raw from trying to get it off ... I think I just have to cover it up with makeup and wait for it to shed.

Girliness
February 7th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Ripples on the pond... So strange that everything seems to come in waves...

skaempfer
February 7th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Well, you've all scared me sufficiently enough that I will stay away from glue-like substances today.
Anyway, that's got to be a plus from oiling hair; anything like that should come out easier if the hair has a nice light coating of oil on it :D

I'm a bit on the grumpy side at the mo, because this is always the longest part of the year for us northern hemisphere people. Once spring gets going and we can get busy in the garden and woods, then time will whiz by, so hang in there, troops!

Amraann
February 7th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Just checking in~

Sorry about the glue mishaps!

My kitten was chewing on my hair while I was sleeping. He did not chew any off just kind of left it wet.

Cirafly24
February 8th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Just checking in~

Sorry about the glue mishaps!

My kitten was chewing on my hair while I was sleeping. He did not chew any off just kind of left it wet.

Aww...my kitten used to do that :D It was really annoying at the time, but in retrospect, it was really cute.

bunzfan
February 8th, 2011, 01:46 AM
So far no urge to trim and i am finding updo's easier as my hair has grown quite a bit since December:)

Lize
February 9th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Hey guys! Just sending an update. It looks like many of you are doing very well with few splits and high motivation! That's great. :)

I have been struggeling with quite a few split ends and white dots already. Also my hair feels a bit dry. Most of my hair has been highlighted and I have layers. I believe the highlights are what I should blame for having splits and dryness. This is no surprise really, and I knew this starting the challenge that I would have problems with the highlights. I have been trimming (too) frequently to deal with this problem, which was why I started the challenge.

Anyhow, I am going to need a lot of S&D this year, which I will do as much as I can. There has not been much time for me lately to mess with my hair which is both good and bad. Less time to think about is it good because the growth happens when you are not paying attention, right?

Today I am on sickleave from work since I have a huge cold. I took the oppertunity to do a long S&D session and it feels much much better now! Huge difference actually. I can pull my fingers all the way through it now and it doesn't tangle at all. Yesterday I was toying with the idea of cutting a bit since it felt do dry and tangly, but this thread made me rethink. I said to myself "Just wait a year and then you can make plans for your hair." I can't possibly throw in the towel since I started this thing anyway. ;) :)

Messyhair
February 9th, 2011, 06:37 AM
My shape is going crazy already, but as long as I keep my hair up, I won't notice it. :P It will only bug me for my monthly progress photos. I think I can handle that.

jaine
February 9th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Lize I'm glad you hung in there! :)

Messyhair that sounds like a great strategy.

I've been wearing my hair up the past few days too...mostly because I don't feel like spending any time drying it... it's so much easier to just wet it in the morning and throw it into a bun rather than taking the time to dry it carefully into a nice shape the night before. I have a styling method that I love but it requires sitting in front of a fan for 3 hours while it dries rock-hard with gel in it, and then combing it out. I like the result ...luscious, smooth, soft, big hair ... but I just don't feel like sitting for that long this week! :p

Fufu
February 9th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I'm going strong, reaching 9 months without trimming.

wendy51
February 9th, 2011, 08:38 AM
omg i'd like to join this challenge, but for the moment as i am transitionning, i need to cut my ends :mad: to get completly natural *-*

Then i would stop trimming
from time to time do search and destroy

*can't wait =]]

ooo
February 9th, 2011, 01:58 PM
It's so hot here, I can't wear my hair down. I see others who do, but I don't know how. At least with wearing my hair up all the time, it does not annoy me. I hate it, when my hair gets into my way. Over all this should be very beneficial for this challenge. :)

Saila_
February 10th, 2011, 03:40 PM
When I signed up for this this challenge, I honestly thought I would have little to no problems because I have no problem leaving my hair alone. HOWEVER, the other day, a crazy idea popped into my head. Since my hair is so short, extremely layered, and dyed... Wouldn't right now be the perfect time to do crazy experiments and get them out of my system?

KLin
February 13th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Okay, I have been very gentle, wearing it up 70% of the time and doing healthy rinses. Seem to be still loosing handfuls of hair more than I think should be normal shed. I have S&D once in last 6 weeks.

Measured my hair in Jan and this week and do not see any growth since I measured in Dec before Christmas.

Should this bother me? It has been 8 weeks and not a 1/2 inch in growth.

I have tried SMT and did not see a change. I used the wrong oil and burned my scalp then used neem conditioner for two weeks to heal. I use vinegar rinses with rosewater often and have made a rosemary/sage herbal rinse and done two beer rinses.

Lemur_Catta
February 13th, 2011, 04:23 PM
:) I'm doing well. My ends are soft (thanks to Lush Henna Caca Noir!) and I S&D, but not too often. I know I have splits but I can't snip them all, so I have just decided to accept them for now :D
I experiment with rollers, cones, no cones...everything I can think to keep me and my hair happy.

CurlyZ
February 13th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I would like to join, but can't promise anything!
My last trim was in March 2010.
The stylist ruined my hair with really bad cut layers and fried them with bleach.
So instead of having bouncy blonde curls I have a damaged dry shapeless mess on the head.
Since I haven't had a trim for almost a year already, I can't promise if I can do it for another year.
Does anyone of you have curly hair and no layers?
How is the no trimming going for the curlies out there?

Nae
February 13th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Things are good here, I have noticed a split or two but they are juuuust starting. And of course I saw them when my scissors were no where close. So it is bugging me (in a slightly obsessive way) that I know they are there and yet I can't find them. ARGH!

Ah well, nothing to be done about it till I locate them at some point in the future.

I am definately going to stay away from any and all glue, you guys are freaking me out!

Keep growing!!!!! We can do it!!!

jaine
February 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Ah, glue ... yes...
The stuff that I thought was dried glue on my cheek from the dentist - wasn't actually glue - it turned out to be the hard white precipitate from an acid burn. It's healing up nicely now, though ... it's just smooth and pale pink and I can barely see it. My cheek was numb so I don't know how it happened exactly. My guess is that I got it on my cheek while I was rinsing because I was so numb and not able to aim very well, and wiping stuff off my face with that towel around my neck ... maybe that towel had acid on it that he had wiped off one of his dentist tools.

Girliness
February 13th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Things are good here, I have noticed a split or two but they are juuuust starting. And of course I saw them when my scissors were no where close. So it is bugging me (in a slightly obsessive way) that I know they are there and yet I can't find them. ARGH!

Ah well, nothing to be done about it till I locate them at some point in the future.

I am definately going to stay away from any and all glue, you guys are freaking me out!

Keep growing!!!!! We can do it!!!

LOL That is exactly the reason I keep a pair in my car as well as my bathroom! You wouldn't BELIEVE how many times I have been at a red light and found a split or two...

Cirafly24
February 14th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I did a thorough S&D last night while my fiance and I were watching a DVD...after 2 hours, I felt like I had vanquished the vast majority of my splits. whoo! Maybe my ends will be a little less icky now...they were totally fine until I agreed not to trim in 2011, and then suddenly they started getting crunchy and tangled. After S&Ding...they seem a lot better.

soapstone
February 14th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Almost went to trim an inch, felt sorta thin at the ends. But did not I am happy to report.

dinnee
February 14th, 2011, 01:59 AM
So everyone is still doing well? :)

I haven't trimmed this month yet, but have been doing some serious S&D. I coloured my hair last year and had quite a bit of straightning damage in there... :( But, so far so good. Nothing a good S&D can't fix!

Fufu
February 14th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Doing well :), nearing 10 months with no trims.

-j-
February 14th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Time is running very fast!

My longest hair (=everything but the neck area) have done without a trim for about 1 year 11 months! Not bad, i think :)

Bonkers57
February 14th, 2011, 06:10 AM
So far so good. My bangs have grown enough since I botched them to trim them into the more common upside-down 'U' shape. They still have some growing and shaping to do but, they're bangs so they don't count. The rest of my hair is looking good despite no trims. I've been super-careful when detangling.

spitfire511
February 14th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Is it too late for me to join in? I haven't done any trimming so far this year - and am looking to get the most growth I can - so no trims for me!

Quahatundightu
February 14th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Is it too late for me to join in?

Of course not, welcome to the thread :)

I am still in on this challenge and will not do a trim, but I have started regular dustings - taking no more than 2 or 3 mm each month, so hopefully I can still be a part of the challenge! I know people said dusting was controversial, but I take off less when I dust than when I S&D :)

Saila_
February 14th, 2011, 11:01 AM
What do you all do about hairs that have tapered ends?

Girliness
February 14th, 2011, 11:10 AM

I think what you're referring to are known as Fairytale Ends - the gradual tapering to a point as opposed to the bluntness of a cut or frequent trimming.

bunzfan
February 14th, 2011, 11:31 AM

That is my one gripe last time i went quite a while without and trimming (7 months) i had real fairytale ends that was my only reason for cutting not any split ends.

If anyone can come up with a dusting solution maybe i would be interested to hear, the only thing i have come up with is just to wear it up so you don't see them:p

Saila_
February 14th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I think what you're referring to are known as Fairytale Ends - the gradual tapering to a point as opposed to the bluntness of a cut or frequent trimming.

Hmmm. I only see a few of them. I cut them during my S&D because they look like breakage.

GrowingGlory
February 14th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I may be about to fall off the thread. Intense urge to shave/cut whole head of hair off and begin with NW/SO from scratch.

Cirafly24
February 14th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I may be about to fall off the thread. Intense urge to shave/cut whole head of hair off and begin with NW/SO from scratch.

My advice would be to give yourself 2 weeks to make sure that's what you REALLY want to do. You wouldn't want to rush into things and then regret it afterwards. :eek:

GrowingGlory
February 14th, 2011, 06:41 PM
That's a good idea. Every once in a while I feel this way, I let myself experience it fully, and then it usually goes away. So far. Thanks for the advice.

Lize
February 16th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Is it too late for me to join in? I haven't done any trimming so far this year - and am looking to get the most growth I can - so no trims for me!

Of course not. Welcome! :)

The tapered individual hairs I just leave as they are unless they have white dots or splits. To me a tapered end on a hair will just mean that that single hair has never been cut. That's the way the hair grows out of your head. :) I don't think they are more prone to damage than the cut ones.

Valdeon
February 16th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Ok, I confess, I succumbed and trimmed off an inch this Monday. To my defense, it's been 6 months since my last trim and that is the longest period of no trimming in my life yet! But now I am ready for another go, so no MORE (:D) trims in 2011!

Nipushiau
February 16th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Oooh! Count me in, too! It will be hard, though, since it seems that 1 in 3 of my strands grows twice as fast as all the others. :)

pink.sara
February 16th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Ooh, I'm back on the forum after a year away and haven't had a trim or cut since June 2010, I am Determined not to trim at all until my hair is below shoulder and am using MN and Biotin to help. Will join this thread and keep an eye on everyones progress for inspiration as I'm growing out a really structured, angled, aysymmetric bob so it will no doubt look Awful by 1 year!
I won't need to S&D as my hair doesn't split, it just snaps off to a blunt end! Lol.
Good luck everyone :)

hermosamendoza
February 16th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Well I was all in for this but if i can't find something that works for me with my swimming (my cap broke a while ago) I got some deep conditioner and a swim cap. I'll make it as far as I can with you ladies!!! :)

bigred199
February 16th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Okay, I'm hanging in here, but this is getting hard! Six months since my last trim, and this is about as long as I've ever lasted before trimming in the past. I found some major split ends last week and did some S&D. I thought it was a bad sign when I asked my mom what she thought of my hair, and she said it was nice, except it needed a trim. Erm, okay, only 11 more months to go and I'll get right on that.:D

Rocket22
February 16th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Okay, I'm hanging in here, but this is getting hard! Six months since my last trim, and this is about as long as I've ever lasted before trimming in the past. I found some major split ends last week and did some S&D. I thought it was a bad sign when I asked my mom what she thought of my hair, and she said it was nice, except it needed a trim. Erm, okay, only 11 more months to go and I'll get right on that.:D

Im with you here... my last trim was August and I don't want to trim but feel I need one!!! talk me out of it!!! only 10 months to go. this one is almost done right :)

Lize
February 17th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Im with you here... my last trim was August and I don't want to trim but feel I need one!!! talk me out of it!!! only 10 months to go. this one is almost done right :)

We have already done two months of this year! (Well... soon anyway.. :D) And if your last trim was in August you have already lasted so long! You have shown great self disciplin. :) I'm sure you have it in you to last 10 more months. Why do you feel you need a trim? Split ends? Uneven ends? Society's pressure to get frequent trims?

Rocket22
February 17th, 2011, 09:51 AM
We have already done two months of this year! (Well... soon anyway.. :D) And if your last trim was in August you have already lasted so long! You have shown great self disciplin. :) I'm sure you have it in you to last 10 more months. Why do you feel you need a trim? Split ends? Uneven ends? Society's pressure to get frequent trims?

Well don't think I was ever that much of a trimmer. (never really kept track) but when I did "trim" I always seemed to cut at least 3 or so inches off to thicken up my ends, reason I never had had long hair :) but right now my ends are a little uneven and my hair is thin so I feel like that is what I need to do.. but not going to do it!! I know throughout this year with no trims we will all have moments and hopefully everyone knows we all are here to support eachother :cheese: I have already made some great progress, I can see it.

I'm quoting a phrase I remember reading from someone and it is what keeps me going. I would rather have thin long hair than thin short hair :)

Roscata
February 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM
It's been a bit difficult for me not to chop off my layers in the past month or so, but I stuck in there and I am still part of this challenge. I so don't want to loose any length.

I really hope I can resist the urge for another 10+ months. :D

Rocket22
February 17th, 2011, 10:36 AM
It's been a bit difficult for me not to chop off my layers in the past month or so, but I stuck in there and I am still part of this challenge. I so don't want to loose any length.

I really hope I can resist the urge for another 10+ months. :D

Hey If I can wait, you can!!!! :) I want the length too and I soooo want to get to goal then trim little bit at a time to thicken up.. we can do it!!! I think I can, I think I can

mellie89
February 17th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I trimmed in early January, because I was dumb and waited until the last day of 2010 to get my hair cut. Of course, there was a giant storm and I couldn't leave my driveway, so I had to reschedule. :p

Sooo, I am definitely not trimming for the rest of the year! Gotta get to waist-length by Christmas. :)

Sooze
February 17th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Well, my last trim was October, but am willing to give it a go. My one concern is - curly, dry locks and a holiday booked in a hot climate in July. Could put an end to my aspirations not to trim, but I'll see if I can hold out without trimming to the end of the year. :eek:

Roscata
February 17th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Hey If I can wait, you can!!!! :) I want the length too and I soooo want to get to goal then trim little bit at a time to thicken up.. we can do it!!! I think I can, I think I can

Together we can do it. :D
I hope lol.

GrowingGlory
February 19th, 2011, 08:04 AM
The urge to shave/cut it all off has passed.

Marciesmojo
February 19th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Oohh me too, me too!!! I just got my hair trimmed a month ago so it is all healthy and ready for the challenge !I actually had the tape measure out last night dreaming of how long it may be in a year :)
Marcie

princess03
February 19th, 2011, 10:57 AM
aww I broke mine already, I cut it for the full moon in Leo :) (just a lil tiny though)

Cirafly24
February 20th, 2011, 08:54 PM
The urge to shave/cut it all off has passed.

Yay :) I'm glad you're still with us

battles
February 20th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I'd love to give this a try! My last trim was in late December, and I'm at about chin length right now.. So far to go!

Ravenwaves 88
February 20th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I had a major urge to trim today as I was sitting outside in the sunlight S'n'D ing.
My hair just kept grabbing itself and almost knotting with just about every stroke. I did trim off quite a bit of splits but it didn't seem like enough. I was pondering the ol health over length debate. I don't know. Perhaps a two week rule on this but it isn't the first thought about a trim. I've been without a trim since Jan 2010. Maybe I should give my poor ends a break and just try and go another year but with fresh ends.

Any advice?

xoxophelia
February 20th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I had a major urge to trim today as I was sitting outside in the sunlight S'n'D ing.
My hair just kept grabbing itself and almost knotting with just about every stroke. I did trim off quite a bit of splits but it didn't seem like enough. I was pondering the ol health over length debate. I don't know. Perhaps a two week rule on this but it isn't the first thought about a trim. I've been without a trim since Jan 2010. Maybe I should give my poor ends a break and just try and go another year but with fresh ends.

Any advice?

I was feeling the same way as you are (I'm not trying to go a whole year without trims though). What helped was I put about 1-2 tsp on ACV in a bowl of water and then dunked my ends in it for about 30 seconds followed by a quick rinse.

My problem was about 95% solved.

McFearless
February 20th, 2011, 10:46 PM

Any advice?

I'm in the same boat as you. I used to heat style and dye a lot so I have damage from that. I'm going to think about it until March and then trim an inch. We can still go the rest of 2011 without trims. Sometimes you just can't fix damage. I'd rather have this length setback now than have to deal with more tangles and damage because of this one inch that would be gone at the end of this challenge anyway.

wavykisses
February 21st, 2011, 04:48 PM
Hi ladies I'm new around the forum, can I join the challenge?.
I decided no matter how my hair looks I will not cut it, I always ended up cutting it, and I need to stop the vicious cycle.
I ask my husband for support because I really want long hair.
Right now is not so damage so hopefully with maintance and lots of patience can grow:):).

Rocket22
February 21st, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hi ladies I'm new around the forum, can I join the challenge?.
I decided no matter how my hair looks I will not cut it, I always ended up cutting it, and I need to stop the vicious cycle.
I ask my husband for support because I really want long hair.
Right now is not so damage so hopefully with maintance and lots of patience can grow:):).

But of course!!!! that has been my cycle too. I always seem to "trim" and there goes 3 or so inches??? humm wonder why I never had long hair :)

lillylonghair
February 21st, 2011, 04:58 PM
I did not think this would be so hard for me this early on! I think it's knowing I can't cut that makes me want to if that makes sense.

GrowingGlory
February 21st, 2011, 05:34 PM
About 18" to term, so 12-18 months to go, I hope. Can't wait.

Cirafly24
February 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM
I did not think this would be so hard for me this early on! I think it's knowing I can't cut that makes me want to if that makes sense.

I know the feeling! I just trimmed in November, and already I'm thinking "hmm, the ends are starting to fairytale again, what if it gets worse??" but NO! I will stay strong :D

And wear my hair up *paranoid*

jaine
February 21st, 2011, 06:08 PM
I am envious and wish my hair would hurry up and fairytale. My ends are so chunky which makes them flip and stick out in random directions. Wispy ends lay so much smoother in my hair. I could really use some wispy ends to tone down the bedhead look.

akuamoonmaui
February 21st, 2011, 06:41 PM
jaine: I think shoulder to BSL is the hardest stage to grow out, I think it grows slower just to be frustrating! Have faith, stick it out, you'll only regret it if you give in! Besides I think (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) your hair will be a-maz-ing once you have more length! It's so healthy and shiny now it can only be gorgeous dah-ling once you're at your goal!

jaine
February 21st, 2011, 06:53 PM
Don't worry ... I'm not contemplating cutting it just to get wispy ends. :) I'm just envious of those who can start seeing wispy ends 4 months after a haircut. I wish mine would do that!

wavykisses
February 21st, 2011, 07:00 PM
[quote=akuamoonmaui;1488939]jaine: I think shoulder to BSL is the hardest stage to grow out, I think it grows slower just to be frustrating! Have faith, stick it out[quote]

I didn't know that, it is actually kind of relieving knowing that after BSL the grow will be easier:):eyebrows:

Zefyra
February 21st, 2011, 07:06 PM
Ooh! Im in! I trimmed a bit less than a 1/4" sometime near the middle-end of January, not exactly sure when. Its already grown a half inch! So I think I can go a year without trimming! Ill get some crazy growth if I do!

Cirafly24
February 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM
Don't worry ... I'm not contemplating cutting it just to get wispy ends. :) I'm just envious of those who can start seeing wispy ends 4 months after a haircut. I wish mine would do that!

Unfortunately, that's because my ends are thinning :( I'd much rather have a full, blunt hemline. *sigh*...the grass is always greener... :o

lillylonghair
February 21st, 2011, 07:29 PM
I know the feeling! I just trimmed in November, and already I'm thinking "hmm, the ends are starting to fairytale again, what if it gets worse??" but NO! I will stay strong :D

And wear my hair up *paranoid*

I actually have come to enjoy a little fairytail-ing. Since I have a lot of hair it makes it easier to tuck into buns.

ashlayne
February 21st, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hey, I'm in!! I know it's already late February, but I haven't trimmed any at all since the beginning of the year!! :D

(Question: Does snipping troublesome strands if they fray count? Because mine do that on occasion.)

Cirafly24
February 21st, 2011, 07:33 PM
Hey, I'm in!! I know it's already late February, but I haven't trimmed any at all since the beginning of the year!! :D

(Question: Does snipping troublesome strands if they fray count? Because mine do that on occasion.)

Nope! That would be the same as S&D, and that doesn't count :D Welcome to the challenge!

European Ninja
February 21st, 2011, 07:35 PM
May we all not trim in 2011, sisters of the long hair community! :cheese:

freckles
February 21st, 2011, 07:51 PM
did a bit of S&D last night, and an overnight condition. Hopefully I can tough out these split ends ... I mean, my hair is NEVER split free anyway, and I know that by now, so that's what I'm thinking to stop myself trimming!

lacefrost
February 21st, 2011, 08:43 PM
Trying sooo hard not to trim my hair. It's harder than I thought! I think the simple act of deciding not to do it made it harder. I dusted the ends of my braids a few days ago, so no length changes, really. I think I took off like 1/8 of an inch?

I realized that if I let my hair grow, it'll be WL by the end of the year. Woo woo!

Monkie
February 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM
So far so good. I am still trimming my bangs, but it seems like the longer I go, the easier it is to not remind myself to trim. I have noticed that I have to oil my hair more often, about twice a week, rather than once a week usually.

Mírien
February 22nd, 2011, 12:47 AM
Hi, everyone! :D I am hear to try and give up a silly habit. My trims used to be something like this: I braided my hair, saw that the end of the braid is thin/uneven, got scissors, cut off half an inch or an inch. This happened whenever I felt depressed about my hair (which happened quite often before LHC) and then I wondered why my hair refuses to grow... :(
My good news is that since I joined you I have given up those silly self-trims. :D Moreover, I started measuring and perceived that I achieved about 2 inches growth since mid-November. :cheese: Plus, my ends still look healthy. Good luck, everyone.

colette
February 22nd, 2011, 02:08 AM
hey you guys, new on here :) havent had it cut since november 2010, so im determined to not cut it till november 2011! its so nice to meet people who are likeminded, so many people i know consider it 'dirty' to not cut your hair on a regular basis, which is bizzare! its my hair, ive grown it, i wanna keep it!!

so i accept your challenge and thankyou for your support :) happy growing x

-j-
February 22nd, 2011, 02:55 AM
I had to do some S&D, because the sunlight revealed a couple more split ends. I´m glad there were not many and S&D is allowed :)

bunzfan
February 23rd, 2011, 10:03 AM
Well i am probably tempting fate saying this but since my trim back in December i have no splits what so ever and we are nearly in march . My hair is starting to feel long to me and i can braid my hair now without all my stupid layers sticking out:)

Girliness
February 23rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Well i am probably tempting fate saying this but since my trim back in December i have no splits what so ever and we are nearly in march . My hair is starting to feel long to me and i can braid my hair now without all my stupid layers sticking out:)

lol I do hate layers... Best of luck on remaining split end free!

Zefyra
February 23rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
I have just newly been able to do a single french braid in my hair, and its officially longer than its been in about six years, so that has definitely fueled my desire to let it grow without trimming. Im hoping to be at apl by the end of June! :D

detritus
February 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
All right, I'm in. I last had it cut in June I think, so I think I will reevaluate how it's looking in June of 2011 since that will be a full year without any trims. If it's still looking good, I'll shoot for no trims for all of 2011. I keep thinking I "should" go in for a trim because it's been so long and then I look at my hair and realize all the stuff that's bugging me will only be fixed by letting it continue to grow. A trim isn't going to fix the "horns" my ear-length layers keep drying into, but getting down to chin-length will. My stylist did a great job shaping the layers last time, so it's still looking pretty good. My ends are staying pretty healthy too. I think if I set a date to aim for, it'll be easier to resist the temptation to schedule a trim.

bunzfan
February 23rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
lol I do hate layers... Best of luck on remaining split end free!

Thank you, you know i think i have been trying to grow my layers out nearly 3 years now when they where cut they were ridiculously short :D

bunzfan
February 23rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
I have just newly been able to do a single french braid in my hair, and its officially longer than its been in about six years, so that has definitely fueled my desire to let it grow without trimming. Im hoping to be at apl by the end of June! :D

Congrats on that when i had lots of layers and it still felt short that braid saved me from cutting it all off, and when its long enough you can put the tail end up in a bun:)

Monkie
February 23rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
October will be a year without cutting for me. According to my calculations I should be hitting shoulder length sometime around may/june.

Spinny
February 23rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
I will join in! I was going to trim in order to allow my layers to catch up, but it looks fine for now. I think my last cut was in September.

Roscata
February 23rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
Thank you, you know i think i have been trying to grow my layers out nearly 3 years now when they where cut they were ridiculously short :D
Wow 3 years! I am having trouble with one year and a half. I just hope I can have your patience. :D

Girliness
February 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM

Yeah, I know the feeling (as I'm sure many around here do). I had a whack job [I think about] 7 years ago where the woman sat there nodding and smiling as I explained in detail how afraid I was to go in for a trim because the stylist always took off more than I asked them to and how I can't stand having to fix my hair. I specifically asked her for a blunt cut trim of 3 inches (which was a LOT for me) and she chopped off over 6 inches and cut LAYERS in it (the shortest was to my jawline). Total butchery. Once I realized what she was doing I totally freaked out, but she'd already done it in the back and on one side, so what was I really to do? She said they were "invisible layers" - which anyone should know don't exist... YEARS later after HAVING to heat style my hair anytime I went around people - layers equal ends sticking out everywhere - my hair is just now starting to look healthier... Being able to wrap it up in hair sticks helped immensely, and the layers are all but gone now.

Hang in there - time and proper care WILL prevail! lol I still wish I could smack that woman...

tinti
February 23rd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Hei everyone! Still going strong here in Norway :) I've swiched to cones for the winter, since it seems like conefree hair + winter dryness = static, static, dryness, static and tangles and more static. I'm not exaggerating!

I'm also having urges to snip to bsl to get some thickness going, but I'm still not going to. 3 months and I can reevaluate if I need a trim or if I should go longer without. I can do this!

Sundial
February 24th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I think I'm dropping out of the challenge even though I've had quite a good run. Everyone has been commenting on how fast my hair is growing. While I am satisfied with the length I have gained, it would seem that my hair has a couple of racer hairs that make my hemline messy and this has been driving me nuts.

I have thought about trimming in a blunt hairline after the challenge, but I have changed my mind. This may come off sounding morbid but there has been 2 deaths in DH's family in the past 3 weeks and suddenly I was thinking to myself "What if something happens to me out of the blue? I don't want to go with a messy hemline and I don't want people looking into the casket thinking my hemline looks weird or something" (am I being too extreme thinking about hair when I think about passing on??)

So I have decided to drop out of the challenge and try monthly microtrims instead.

Ravenwaves 88
February 27th, 2011, 02:13 PM
It has been a week and I still have the urge to trim it. I'll give it another week before I trim and go the rest of the year without trims.

Cirafly24
February 27th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I think I'm dropping out of the challenge even though I've had quite a good run. Everyone has been commenting on how fast my hair is growing. While I am satisfied with the length I have gained, it would seem that my hair has a couple of racer hairs that make my hemline messy and this has been driving me nuts.

I have thought about trimming in a blunt hairline after the challenge, but I have changed my mind. This may come off sounding morbid but there has been 2 deaths in DH's family in the past 3 weeks and suddenly I was thinking to myself "What if something happens to me out of the blue? I don't want to go with a messy hemline and I don't want people looking into the casket thinking my hemline looks weird or something" (am I being too extreme thinking about hair when I think about passing on??)

So I have decided to drop out of the challenge and try monthly microtrims instead.

Well, you need to do what will make you happy :)

Just a side note, though...if something did happen to you (knock on wood), no one would notice your hemline. They'd be too busy mourning your death to notice something like that.

GrowingGlory
February 27th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Got that urge to shave my head again. It will pass, and my hair will remain.

Lize
February 28th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Hi all. We are two months in!! (Yay for short February...) :D

How are you holding up?

We have been having a hard winter here in Sweden. Really cold and super dry air. The lower half of my hair is dry and gets some splits. I have been lazy with protecting hairdos as well. I have been wearing it mostly in ponytails or messy elastic-buns. I haven't had time to be bothered with updos. My lifestyle with lots of training isn't helping either.

Hopefully the warmer weathers are coming soon. I am growing my natural color and that part of the hair is looking splendid. I focus on that when I look in the mirror. Also I try to fit in a big S&D session as often as I can but unfortunately I can't do that too often either.

So my technique is basically neglect, but I'm not sure it's all benign. :) But at least I am staying away from cutting and right now I think that's the most important thing because I think I will be much happier with my hair if it's just longer.

vintersaga
February 28th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I'm still in, and I'm doing fine. :) I'm growing out a buzzcut and have reached the awkward mullet stage I'm afraid. Today I feel tired about all the layers and it feels like my hair is both too short, and too long to do anything proper with it. :( I know this is just a stage though, and that it's going to pass as my hair grows longer. I just have to hold on.

Trimming is not an option for me. It's good I don't have any urges to trim, and that my hair is still healthy and I don't find many splits. Those I find I S&D.

I am still optimistic about this challenge and pretty sure I will make it till the end. :) Only 10 months left! :knit:

Roscata
February 28th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I feel really motivated not to trim for the rest of the year because today I managed to put my hair up using nothing but a hair stick (Link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6429&pictureid=97102)).
Only 10 months to go, now I can put it up and forget about it! :D

bunzfan
February 28th, 2011, 05:10 AM
My ends are starting to look a little dry but i just put some oil on the ends that normally does the trick.

freckles
February 28th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I'm still doing okay.
The fact that I left my blowdryer at my dad's means I haven't blowdried at all in 2011! Woop! Normally I blowdry maybe 50% of washes in winter. Soon it will be Spring and then, hopefully, by the time I get my blowdryer back I won't even feel that urge!
I've also been stretching my washes a little more than usual, with the help of dry shampoo.
I haven't been keeping on top of S&D, and I have a lot of splits. Maybe I'll do a little bit today.
The most important part is that I've been so busy with dissertation and stuff I haven't been thinking about my hair so much. So, yay.

Nae
February 28th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Hanging in here pretty well. I have only thought, "Maybe I should trim this" twice this month. Just a few more months to go!!!

Taika
February 28th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Hi, Im hanging in here... just and just... :) I solved my urge to cut by becoming a hennahead. :p ( I have been thinking about this for over a year, so it really was not that hasty.)

I love the colour though And my hair feels a lot stronger, but my ends got really dry, that I´m trying to solve with some coconutoil. :pray:

Monkie
February 28th, 2011, 08:01 AM
My ends are reallly dry. But only my top layers, my bottom layers seem fine. My hair is too short for me to search and destroy, so I just kind of have to deal with it.

jaine
February 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Yay, we made it 2 months! 1/6 of the way there.

I haven't gotten any trimming urges yet, but it's only 2 months since my haircut ... I don't expect trimming urges to start that soon. Usually takes about 6 months for me.

Cirafly24
February 28th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I started getting some trimming urges, but I solved that with some S&D. There seemed to be a lot of splits...but not as many as I feared.

Only 10 more months to go!

LadyG
February 28th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I've been following this thread, and would like to formally join. I had an urge to trim/cut this week, but by reading everyone's encouragement to the others here, I made it through. I last cut my hair in March of last year, and want to make it to Summer next year. As long as I don't do anything stupid again (yes, I was really, really stupid - I'm grateful I still have hair) I should be at waist by next summer.

Lize
March 2nd, 2011, 02:01 AM
My ends are getting really tangly right now. And I have no time for S&D at the moment. Which fortunately also means no time to think about trimming. :)

mustpannkook
March 2nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
I try to S&D every two weeks or so which keeps me away from urge to trim...

Monkie
March 4th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I had to get some coney serum, and am using that on my ends (which are like velcro) in lieu of trimming.

GrowingGlory
March 4th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Last 3" could be removed due to splits and breakage, but since it is not that bad, I'm on the fence, and I've joined this thread, I'm waiting two weeks.

paleogirl
March 4th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I'm in. I have layers which will bug me but I am determined.

jaine
March 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I had a minor milestone today; put my hair into a sock bun and thought (for the first time) "huh...that's a lot of leftover hair sticking out of my bun!" So my hair is indeed growing even though it still just looks like shoulder length to me and probably will for a long time.

Lize
March 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Congrats on the milestone jaine. I just looked at my hair in the mirror and saw it has definately passed APL now. I can see it has grown.

I also changed my goal length to waist for now because as my life is with training and everyting TB will be too long probably. Also I think waist length will look really long on me anyway. And flattering. But we'll see how I feel when I get there and how my hair looks. Later maybe I'll be growing to TB.

autumnchild
March 4th, 2011, 03:14 PM
keep up the good work everyone, we can do it (or NOT do it, i should say) workin' our way through month number 3 ! :cheese: woo hoo~~~

McFearless
March 4th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Last 3" could be removed due to splits and breakage, but since it is not that bad, I'm on the fence, and I've joined this thread, I'm waiting two weeks.

If you have breakage you should probably trim, or at least s&d the splits and white dots. You wouldn't have to leave, there are 9 months left!

KLin
March 4th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Have had a broken foot, and sick children. Have not been paying attention to my hair. Has been over two weeks since I have checked for growth, was disappointed that was not seeing any.

I have only S&D once, will be doing it again this weeked and checking for growth. Too busy to be frustrated now.

vintersaga
March 5th, 2011, 01:02 AM
I want my hair to be long, now.... *sigh*. It's boring to wait... I've calculated it will take me about 6 years without trims, and counting on that my hair will grow with the same rate as it has these months, and not stalling during the way, to reach my goal length. It's just such a long time! :( I want to be there now... but, as they say, the one who waits for something good...

it's kinda frustrating right now when my hair's in the mullet stage and is both too long and too short, and I don't really feel good about anything I do with it... please, please hair, grow a bit longer so I can put you up at least. Would make it easier for me to forget about you and benign neglect you... and not feeling this heavy about it.

I do wish it could grow a little bit faster...

Taika
March 5th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I really dont know what to do with my bangs, I'd love to have them cut, but on the other hand I have had them supershort for years now, and if I would not cut them now, bangs would be long enough to be braided in the summer. :confused: And it would be nice to go to my hairdresser, I wonder what she would say if I just went in for a chat and not let her cut my hair at all. :laugh:

Varney
March 5th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Well so far so good :)

My hair was 58 cm (22,8 inches) at new years eve and now it's 62 cm (24,4 inches). So far I am positively surprised at my hair growth and I hardly get any splits (but if I notice any I S & D).

I used to cut my hair about every 6th week, so I thought this challenge would be really hard. But so far I don't miss the scissors. If I feel a urge to cut I put on some coconut oil for a couple of hours and then use a deep treatment conditioner in the shower. After that my ends feel good again and I don’t feel like cutting them anymore.

Lize
March 6th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I used to cut my hair about every 6th week, so I thought this challenge would be really hard. But so far I don't miss the scissors. If I feel a urge to cut I put on some coconut oil for a couple of hours and then use a deep treatment conditioner in the shower. After that my ends feel good again and I don’t feel like cutting them anymore.

I usually do something similar. When my hair feels a bit off and i get urges to trim it's usually enough for me just to wash it. Both hair and ends look and feel so much better newly washed. My routine is either to CO every day or shampoo+conditioner every other day. Right now I wash every other day since I don't have time to wash my hair every day.

jaine
March 6th, 2011, 08:10 AM
My strategy so far is to not take pictures of my hair. If I can't see the shape issues then they can't tempt me! :p

bunzfan
March 6th, 2011, 09:44 AM
My strategy so far is to not take pictures of my hair. If I can't see the shape issues then they can't tempt me! :p

Funnily enough i am the exact opposite i take monthly pics and if i can't see a difference i feel like trimming :rolleyes:

ooo
March 6th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Funnily enough i am the exact opposite i take monthly pics and if i can't see a difference i feel like trimming :rolleyes:
This sounds really strange :twocents: Why do you feel that way?

firicia
March 7th, 2011, 12:40 PM
May I join even though I don't know if I will be able to go all of 2011? My reason is in August I am getting married and would love to have nice hair for my photo's. I would like to hold off and not trim until then and take a look and see what I think. Honestly with the way my curls grow out I don't know if I will have a problem with how it looks unless the ends are getting severely damaged :D

HeatherG
March 7th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I once went two years without trims after my hairdresser cute my hair way to short for my liking after saying " I'm just going to take a little off". After going through another hair mishap last summer, I vowed to not trim my hair for two years again, This summer will mark the first year of my two year no trims. So I am def all for this challenge!

Cirafly24
March 7th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Fellow challengers!! I need your assistance. I'm feeling very weak and I want to trim.

I posted some pictures on my blog, will you take a look and tell me if I should even bother trying to finish out the year without a trim?

Fufu
March 7th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Cirafly, ur hair ends look pretty, you don need a trim at all.

Cirafly24
March 8th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Thanks Fufu :flower:

Quahatundightu
March 8th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Maybe I'm biased because I have fairytale ends too, but I think your hair looks really pretty cirafly! Don't trim yet!!! :)

Cirafly24
March 8th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Maybe I'm biased because I have fairytale ends too, but I think your hair looks really pretty cirafly! Don't trim yet!!! :)

Thank you! I rather like the wurly ends as well...but I'm second guessing myself. You see, I'm visiting my family and friends that I haven't seen in a year next month...I don't want them to think my hair looks yucky. I want them to think "WOW her hair looks so much better than the last time I saw her!" hehe you know?

bte
March 8th, 2011, 05:15 AM
I really dont know what to do with my bangs, I'd love to have them cut, but on the other hand I have had them supershort for years now, and if I would not cut them now, bangs would be long enough to be braided in the summer. :confused: And it would be nice to go to my hairdresser, I wonder what she would say if I just went in for a chat and not let her cut my hair at all. :laugh:
You could go for a hair wash and a chat instead!

paleogirl
March 9th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I am growing out layers that were razored. It is driving me nuts because of the feel. The good thing is that I am in a wedding in May and need my hair longer for an updo. So I am not trimming. I also want to still put up my hair in a ponytail which I wouldn't be able to if I trimmed it to my shortest layer before the end of this year. It is frustrating though. I will make it! I just have to keep reminding myself. I have gotten into oiling my hair whenever the ends feel dry or gross or when I feel like trimming. It helps. It makes it soft. But I have done it twice this week. Besides looking slightly greasy (I WO which takes at least two washed to get the oil out) is there anything wrong with oiling this frequently? I have been wearing it up to ignore the grease which works for me bc my hair feels good.

Cirafly24
March 9th, 2011, 07:17 PM
<snip>... I have gotten into oiling my hair whenever the ends feel dry or gross or when I feel like trimming. It helps. It makes it soft. But I have done it twice this week. Besides looking slightly greasy (I WO which takes at least two washed to get the oil out) is there anything wrong with oiling this frequently? I have been wearing it up to ignore the grease which works for me bc my hair feels good.

Nope, nothing wrong with that! I do a heavy oiling before every wash, which works out to 2-3 times per week, then I do a light oiling after I wash. So I put oil in my hair up to 6 times in a week :) I've never had any problem with it.

Nae
March 9th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Nope, nothing wrong with that! I do a heavy oiling before every wash, which works out to 2-3 times per week, then I do a light oiling after I wash. So I put oil in my hair up to 6 times in a week :) I've never had any problem with it.

I second this. My hair almost always has some amount of coconut oil in it. I have much the same oiling schedule as Cirafly, my hair loves it.

danceri110
March 9th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Can I join? I haven't had a trim since october-november, and I recently started a no-heat challenge. Also, do you all have any suggestions for updos that hide greasy hair and/or tips for how to pull back bangs?

I've read a lot of the posts, and you guys seems like a really supportive group!
:love:

Cirafly24
March 10th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Sure you can join! Glad to have you.

I usually pull all my hair back into a bun when I have the greasies...if scalp cleavage is a problem, I use a fine tooth comb to smooth it out.

gthlvrmx
March 10th, 2011, 12:31 AM
im always so tempted but i cannot stand the look of my dry scraggly ends, i dont S&D yet and i dont have the time yet. Maybe next year.

Feng-Shui
March 10th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I am outside.:(

My ends saw after the winter and I were very unfortunate terribly thinly with them.

My husband cut me 1 1/2 inches.

I is so gladly over the result now again. :joy:

I wishes much success to all other members. :flower:

SilvraShadows
March 10th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Feng-Shui ~ I did the same, mid-January. I cut 1 1/2 inches away because my ends were too frayed, a tangly mess. I am most happy with my results, it helped my hair more than I realized, and helped me too ;) because since then, I have been very happy with the condition of my hair and I love my new hemline.

I suppose it makes me an outsider as well :(

But it is ready to grow-on for the seasons to come and I hope not to cut until the Harvest Moon, since I am on the outside as well now. I think with my last post, waaaay back there now, I was hoping to sneak back up on the NoTrimWagon... :whistle:

But... :hmm: You are right... a trim is a trim.

jaine
March 10th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Can I join? I haven't had a trim since october-november, and I recently started a no-heat challenge. Also, do you all have any suggestions for updos that hide greasy hair and/or tips for how to pull back bangs?

I've read a lot of the posts, and you guys seems like a really supportive group!
:love:

Of course you can join!
If I want to hide oily hair then I do a french braid or lace braid on each side leading to a bun in the back. I think it works and it would hide the bangs at the same time if they're long enough to be included in the braid. :)

Lize
March 10th, 2011, 09:37 PM
It's March and I have not yet trimmed! And I guess that most of you are still with me!

This is challenging for me already 'cause my hair is in a bad shape health wise. My virgin roots are so beautifully healthy though so I try to focus on looking at them when I look in the mirror. It really helps. This project also helps with the no dyeing because I see how fragile and damaged my higlighted hair is. The lower half of my hair is dry and gets splits. I am hoping it will be somewhat better in the warmer seasons which should be here any minute now. Hello, Springtime! Where are you?

ArienEllariel
March 10th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Still hanging in there. 8 months since my last trim. Im noticing more white dots when I S & D though.

Fufu
March 11th, 2011, 01:14 AM
End of April 2011 will mark my one year anniversary of no hair trim.

vintersaga
March 11th, 2011, 02:16 AM
It's been 11 months with no trimming for me... in april will be one year. I have been careless about my hair for a while; no treatments, no oiling etc. Yesterday I noticed several splits. Made me feel a little bit discouraged:(

Hm... I think I'm going to do a treatment tomorrow. And soak my hair in coconut oil 'til then.:) It's 9 months left for this challenge... I think I will be able to do it, I feel discouraged that I will make it my 2years (until april 2012), but not hopeless about this year. I am sure my hair will be better when I start babying it again. Need to hold out and not panic when I notice split ends, just S&D and babying the hair and forget about it:)

I'm telling my self to hold out by thinking: I really. Don't. Want. To. Trim. My. Hair. Yet. :flower:

CrisDee
March 11th, 2011, 05:25 AM
The thing that gives me the urge to trim is the fact that the back of my hair is soooo much shorter than the front from attempting to grow out a pixie with minimal trimming. I did a couple mulletectomies along the way, but wanted to lose as little length as possible, so there's still quite a disparity in length between the back and the front. What makes this problematic for me is that when your hair is a certain length, my employer requires that it be up. And the back of my hair is that length, but the front is nowhere close. So it is very difficult for me to get an updo to hold all day - and if I get it pulled tightly enough to stay all day, it gives me a headache in a couple hours. Which then gives me the urge to trim the back....

SO - in order to fight that urge, I just spent a few minutes with Paint in my photo albums, and created a new signature. So often it seems to be taking foreeevvvveerrr for the pixie to grow out, it was very helpful to put these photos side by side to show myself that yes, it IS growing! Now if the sides would just hurry up and catch up.... :D

pink.sara
March 11th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I have resisted the scissors for 10 months but my asymmetric a-line hem is just horrible. So to even things up a little I'm going to take an inch off the left longer side and dust the right, I will leave the back as it is.
I guess this counts me out of the no trimming club but after posting a thread on here asking for opinions I think it needs it! :o

Ah well, back to just shoulder for me :(

Becky9679
March 11th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I'm already on 4+ months no trimming so count me in! Generally I trim very seldom anyway but I wanted to get rid of some layers.

PorkChop
March 11th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Im doing this too. At the hairdressers tomorrow morning, but just getting my roots done and my fringe sorted. Definitely no cut or trim

Rocket22
March 11th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Yay we are all still hanging in there!!!!! I haven't trimmed since August I know I need to but really want to see some major progress... I hope everyone has snapped some photos of their starting point, really looking forward to seeing the results of this thread :)

lillylonghair
March 11th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I think along with no trims I will also be doing no dye(henndigo). I really want to have my natural color back :( I am hoping this summer Texas sun helps fade the color a bit. After the year is up,I think I may cut a few inches off and then do another year of no cuts.

Anyone else want to join me in no coloring?

lillylonghair
March 11th, 2011, 11:51 AM
The thing that gives me the urge to trim is the fact that the back of my hair is soooo much shorter than the front from attempting to grow out a pixie with minimal trimming. I did a couple mulletectomies along the way, but wanted to lose as little length as possible, so there's still quite a disparity in length between the back and the front. What makes this problematic for me is that when your hair is a certain length, my employer requires that it be up. And the back of my hair is that length, but the front is nowhere close. So it is very difficult for me to get an updo to hold all day - and if I get it pulled tightly enough to stay all day, it gives me a headache in a couple hours. Which then gives me the urge to trim the back....

SO - in order to fight that urge, I just spent a few minutes with Paint in my photo albums, and created a new signature. So often it seems to be taking foreeevvvveerrr for the pixie to grow out, it was very helpful to put these photos side by side to show myself that yes, it IS growing! Now if the sides would just hurry up and catch up.... :D

Are you able to wear headbands or pins to hold your front up? That way you wouldn't have put your updo in really tight.

By the way I am also from S.Jersey.;)

CrisDee
March 11th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Are you able to wear headbands or pins to hold your front up? That way you wouldn't have put your updo in really tight.

I could wear clips, but I'm not a fan of how they look. Plastic bands give me a headache as well, and the cloth ones slip right off my pointed little head. :)

By the way I am also from S.Jersey.;)

Cool - what exit? 4 for me :D

akuamoonmaui
March 11th, 2011, 12:57 PM
So far, so good. I measured last week and went from 25" to 27" from the beginning of the year. I'm upping my regime to include more concentrated conditioners. My ends get dry quickly but I'm happy with how it's growing so far, so want to keep that momentum.

lillylonghair
March 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I could wear clips, but I'm not a fan of how they look. Plastic bands give me a headache as well, and the cloth ones slip right off my pointed little head. :)

You could try bobby pins. I usually twist my bangs back and stick a couple in.

Cool - what exit? 4 for me :D NO WAY!!!!!!:cheese: That's crazy. My mom still lives there. I went to Lenape H.S. Lol we could have a meet up!

CrisDee
March 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM
HOLY CRAP, I went to Shawnee, my daughter went to Lenape and my son went to Cherokee! We absolutely could have a meetup, I'd LOVE it! :cheese:

jaine
March 11th, 2011, 05:03 PM
So far, so good. I measured last week and went from 25" to 27" from the beginning of the year. I'm upping my regime to include more concentrated conditioners. My ends get dry quickly but I'm happy with how it's growing so far, so want to keep that momentum.

That is a very impressive growth rate!!! :)

McFearless
March 11th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I'm 16 months in with no trims. See no reason to start now.

SarahBeth
March 12th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I'm still hanging in there, I mean here. Anyway. I haven't had to S&D yet, no splits or damage yet. I don't use any heat on my hair and wash with soapnuts liquid, so hopefully this very gentle routine will keep it healthy for the long haul. I've gained 2.5 inches in the last 4 months. A little slow for me, as I usually grow faster, but I think with warmer weather coming it will speed up. Last summer I gained 4 inches in 3 months, so I'm hoping for another growth spurt this summer. My over-all goal is to gain 10 inches this year. I'd be thrilled to be at 30 inches by years end.

Lize
March 12th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I think along with no trims I will also be doing no dye(henndigo). I really want to have my natural color back :( I am hoping this summer Texas sun helps fade the color a bit. After the year is up,I think I may cut a few inches off and then do another year of no cuts.

Anyone else want to join me in no coloring?

I'm already on that wagon. Growing my virgin color since August, and no urges to dye so far.

Lize
March 13th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Posted an update picture in my album dedicated to this thread. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7118

I think it still looks okay hemline wise. Pic is too bad quality to see the condition of the hair.

Arianwen
March 13th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I aint trimming. :)

Sheylenna
March 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I haven't trimmed my hair since the beginning of summer last year, but recently I have noticed that every time I turn around I have split ends and not just one or two but bunches and bundles, and they aren't just a simple split its like my hair splits in ten different places...

I've tried cutting them out and two days later there are more. I also find it hard to separate them out from the rest of my hair so what IS the best way to S&D split ends...?

I'm really at a loss is there also a method to keep them from happening?

danceri110
March 13th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Wheat oils are you using? and also, keeping your hair up really helps protect the ends.

danceri110
March 13th, 2011, 04:48 PM
By the way, do you know how to see how many posts you've posted?

Sheylenna
March 13th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Don't use oil I was using Olive and Jojoba but they just take too long. I usually keep my hair in a pony tail or a braid sometimes I braid it in to a bun but I have a hard time staying in one style all the time and am forever changing it. I've never had so many split end before And I never particularly kept my hair up usually just a braid or pony tail. If even that

As for the posts look under you name on one of you posts it should give you the # for reference I believe you have 14 posts.

Sheylenna
March 13th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Excuse Me I got you post # and age mixed up your posts are 21

Finnenna
March 13th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I'll gladly join in! I wanted to get a trim to even out my left-over fringe so that the rest of my hair was the same length, but it's an inch or so between them and...I really want length so I'll just wait to cut. :D

GrowingGlory
March 13th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I've lost the urge to shave/cut my hair. Counting from the end of October, I've got eight months remaining in my year without a trim. But I will likely wait until January 2012 to inspire you to stay away from the scissors.

Ravenwaves 88
March 13th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I haven't trimmed my hair. I think I've been too busy to care enough and I've passed the two week rule and now it's subsided. I took some pics. Enjoy.

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/Ravenwaves88/2%20years%20of%20hair%20growth/DSCF4584.jpg

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/Ravenwaves88/2%20years%20of%20hair%20growth/DSCF4586.jpg

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/Ravenwaves88/2%20years%20of%20hair%20growth/DSCF4588.jpg

It has definitely grown. Just seems slow going. I'm at 35" :cheese: