PDA

View Full Version : Stress and Hair

Saranne772
March 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I have been under a lot of stress the last few months and have noticed that my nails have stopped growing. Does the same happen to hair? I hope not cos I am right at the inbetween classic and tb length and its a frustrating length!!

Also Ive been having a continual bad hair day the last month. I have been so lazy with it- have found it hard to bother to wash it. And I just cant be bothered with styles- I just plait it (or stick it in a snood in the house). Any tips to make me love it again?

Hella
March 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I was under a lot of work-related stress over last summer which caused me to shed a lot of hair. I went to a dermatologist because I almost went crazy with the way my hair thinned, and she told it to be quite common to react to stress by losing more hairs. I'd imagine it would be the same with nails, as some people also react to stress with break-outs on the skin and it's known that stress affects sleep, for example. In my case it had to do with a very physical job combined with unmatching nutrition, but probably also with long hours and constantly being on work-mode. Are you eating properly, getting everything you need? It's easy to start with basic nutritional things, as those are more controllable than stress itself is.

I know how it feels to have an on-going bad hair day, which just seems to last ages - it took me months, because it took awhile for the changes to show. It felt horrible being uncomfortable with one's hair all the time, but there's really no other way round it than to just keep it up, treat it well and not try and fix it with too many different things over a short period of time.

ChloeDharma
March 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Yes, stress can effect hair very much, it causes certain hormones etc to be released and depletes nutrients like the B vits.

If you can't remove the source of stress then it would be worth doing some googling and sorting out a way to try to counter the effects of stress.....exercise, diet/supplements, massage, aromatherapy that kind of thing.
Good luck

FrannyG
March 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Saranne, I'm so sorry to hear that you've been under stress. I hope things get better for you soon. :flowers:

Yes, stress can have an effect on your hair--no question. Also though, it can have an effect on how we see our hair.

You're doing the right thing by just braiding it and keeping it out of sight. I'm sure when you have a better frame of mind, your hair will seem better too.

Feel better, sweetie. :grouphug:

Saranne772
March 20th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Thank you for the advice, yes unfortunately I cannot remove the stress, but I am hoping that it will ease in a few months :)

I am trying to sleep now and I am dealing with the stress much better than I have in the past.

Ill just have to keep plodding on :)

Thanks again

Chamomile betty
March 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I would either try a product you've been longing to try or get a few hair pretties. If you put your hair up your less apt to do anything drastic.

Hope the phase passes and the stress goes away ((hugs))

Alva
March 21st, 2008, 10:42 AM
I am almost at the same length as you and I also have experienced a whole lot of stress the last 6 months, my hair grew nearly nothing.. I have noticed that when I sleep too little it also grows less well. Only way I think is to reduce the stress, but for me the upcoming months that ain't possible yet. Hope for you you can reduce the stressful life, and grow to classic soon!

HeavenlyTresses
March 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM
I hope things get better for you soon. I was stressed out for a couple of years and my hair was horrible. It would take two days to untangle it, then I would need to wash it again and the tangles would start all over again. I almost started to form one big dreadlock, I couldn't even untangle it enough to braid it (I had 5 kids and would baby-sit 4 more). It wouldn't grow and neither would my nails.

I had to make a change in my diet and started taking a multi-vitamin and that seemed to make difference and when I started seeing a change that gave me more incentive to take better care of it. Hope you can find something that works for you. Good Luck!:cheer:

Javadandy
March 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Saranne,

I am sorry to hear about your stress situation. Stress is so nasty on so many levels. When you are heavily stressed your adrenaline levels rise and your body slows down to conserve energy for flight. Blood is held more toward the core, and your body produces cortisol to help provide energy. You may notice you crave more sugar.

Your skin and hair are major victims from the cortisol. It can make your skin dry and you hair fall out from the conserved metabolism. You can feel so tired - like you are dragging.

Take time to spoil yourself. I listen to music before bed to help me relax and sleep better. If you feel fried, if you can take a day or 2 to get away...it can help a lot. Good nutrition and the oil treatment will help your hair. Try to get your sleep! 7-8 hours and try to be in bed by 10. Believe it or not, that energy you use to do stuff in the evening taps into the cortisol when you get tired and exceed your 16-17 hours of awake time.

Take care of yourself the best you can. There's good advice in this board, please let us know how you are doing.

Marian

TammySue
March 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM
Stress is a terrible thing and can wreak havoc in so many different ways. Several months ago I was under tremendous stress. I did see a bit of slow hair growth and put on a few pounds, but my nails (which used to be beautiful) have suffered the most. Even though I have been very happy in the past months, I am JUST starting to see improvement in the health of my nails.

Hoping that you feel better and that the stress will lessen for you soon.

(((Hugs)))

salamander
March 21st, 2008, 09:51 PM
Stress has destroyed my nails. They've been peeling for a year! It's nuts. I can only imagine what it's doing to my hair. I treat my hair better than my nails, though. It gets henna'd and conditioned and protected, while my nails get washed with soap multiple times a day and painted. I just have hope my hair will hold up. I think I've been shedding a bit excessively, but it's hard to tell, I changed my hair routine a lot during the time.

I'm getting the stress under control, now. Slow but steady. Maybe once I get better my hair will start growing faster!

chrissy-b
March 21st, 2008, 11:27 PM
what everyone has already said is right: stress really affects your body, mind, and spirit in a negative way. the only thing that helps me is to get on a regular exercise program. doesn't matter what it is, even taking my dog for a short walk around the block really helps.

and i second what Chamomile betty said, trying a new product or getting something pretty for your hair always helps. or you could neglect it for a while...sometimes it's nice to give yourself a break from your hair. :):):)

OR Cowgirl
March 22nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
I was under a huge amount of stress this time last year and my hair thinned ALOT! I didn't notice a huge slow down in growth but I was losing alot! The good news is my hair is starting to thicken up again. But it's going to take a while for it to catch up! Like years! LOL! But I just decided I'm gonna grow to my goal and then worry about letting it catch up.

Treat yourself the best you can, it will get better!

Hugs,
Mariah