PDA

View Full Version : Let's all boycott heat!

Iron0Maiden
July 19th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I searched the boards for a topic like this but found none. SOOO, I thought I would start a boycotting heat board. Basically it is about not using heat on your hair of any kind for a set time... (for me I'm trying to do it perminatly :D) Everyone out there that wants to join, go ahead! Post how long you are doing this for and the progress you are making by doing so... for me, I have been doing it for four and a half months... ever since I got a hairtrim, and my hair is in wayy better condition than it was when I was using heat. How about you guys? :cheer:

freckles
July 19th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I was never a heavy heat user -- I have had my hair hot-curled probably half a dozen times in my life, most of those as a young child, and I have flatironed my hair maybe twice in my life. But I do like my blowdryer. For the past two or three years I've used my blowdryer on occasion, maybe once a week or so. Since joining LHC I've used it only on cool/warm, but, still.
I'm currently on a six-month no-blowdrying challenge (and no other heat at all, but that was my default anyway), which started on March 10th. So I'm a bit over four months in. It seems to be going okay :) Sometimes it's cold, and sometimes I'd like my hair to have a bit more body, but since the weather has been fairly nice, it's been pretty easy.
I also discovered using t-shirts and microfibre towels instead of normal towels as towel turbans, from LHC. That has been a godsend :)
So yes, two months to go :) I'm planning on unpacking my blowdryer after that and using it again (in moderation), but I'll probably re-start the challenge next year :)

And good luck to you :)

Alvrodul
July 19th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I searched the boards for a topic like this but found none. SOOO, I thought I would start a boycotting heat board. Basically it is about not using heat on your hair of any kind for a set time... (for me I'm trying to do it perminatly :D) Everyone out there that wants to join, go ahead! Post how long you are doing this for and the progress you are making by doing so... for me, I have been doing it for four and a half months... ever since I got a hairtrim, and my hair is in wayy better condition than it was when I was using heat. How about you guys? :cheer:
Not really a great sacrifice for me. I think I have used my blow-dryer only two or three times this year. As for my curling iron ... ummmm ... :hmm: ten years?

Smile4Kiki
July 19th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Count me in! Unfortunately in April I got my hair cut to a chin length angled bob that just did not look good if it wasn't flat ironed :doh:. As soon as I was able to get my hair into a mini-ponytail around June I weened myself off the heat and have been doing pretty good since. I've been oiling my ends in attempt to repair the damage and avoid the scissors. My goal is to make it to October with no heat and no trims.

Synthemesc
July 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM
You can count me in. No blowdrying or any other heat until Halloween, then I'm breaking out the hot rollers and making a MANE. Then not again til Christmas. :D
Cut out the blowdryer and curling iron (don't do it often anyway) a few weeks ago, managing so far!

fisher2
July 19th, 2010, 06:31 PM
ive been doing this for 3 years now

Capybara
July 19th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I haven't blow dried my hair for about a year now, and the last time I straightened it was ... æons ago.

Truth be told, I used to use an iron (that's right, the one you use on your clothing!) to straighten my hair, because it didn't take as long as the regular flatiron.

So no heat for me! :)

Ivy~Rose
July 19th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Lol! I thought you were talking about the weather!!

I've been heat-free since about February (used a curling iron for a job interview, and realized for the billionth time that my hair won't hold a heated, moussed, hairsprayed, curl for more than an hour--it was limp and "disgruntled" by the time I got there :p)

So yes! Down with heat!

DARKMARTIAN
July 19th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I havent blow dried my hair at all in near 15 years and dont even own one.

If I really wanted it dry that quick... most of the time I could just step outside for a few minutes where I live....:D

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/wind_2.gif

Jenn of Pence
July 19th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I wish I could boycott the heat outside!

I'm largely boycotting the hair dryer for the summer...when it gets cold, though, I will probably have to do it a little to get the roots mostly dry. Whenever I do use it, it's on low heat and low blow to the roots and only one or two times a week, which I think is reasonable for my hair.

technoir
July 19th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I have been "heat free" for almost three months. I tried to use the blow dryer diffuser on cool and my hair had a weird texture when dry. Now I just let my hair air dry and embrace the wave.

Prior to going heat free, I used a thermal hot hair brush and once completely dry, use a flat iron or hot rollers for finish work. I am growing my hair out for donation and the stylist suggested this forum for help in taking better care of my hair. I just love how it feels now. I will NEVER go back to using blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons or hot rollers on my hair.

MathnSkating
July 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM
YAy! I've not used a blow dryer for my own hair in... -counts- I don't know. 6 years or so. I've had the hair dresser blow dry my hair, and I've had it curled twice. Both times for prom. Yay more people who don't use heat! :cheese:

heidi1990
July 19th, 2010, 07:27 PM
lol i just did a post on my blog (http://heidi-loves-it.blogspot.com/) taking a vow to not use heat for the rest of the year

Deelight
July 19th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I gave up the blower dryer & flat iron in October last year after I started reading on the forum here about better hair care. I resisted using them even during the winter months. I caved just once before a stage dance performance and was shocked at how dull and frizzy my hair turned out. I just don't even like my hair on heat anymore, so I'm not tempted to use ever again.

Naamah
July 19th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I haven't used heat on my hair in over a year, and I don't plan to ever again. :)

Dars
July 19th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I've been 100% heat free on the length for nearly 10 months now. Coming from a former hair straightener addict I'll admit it's hard sometimes. My hair is, without a doubt, in a much better condition and I now accept that I am a curly. Will I straighten in the future? Who knows. I'm aiming to be heat free till I reach my ultimate goal and I anticipate that will take a couple more years. But I'm proud to say I kept strong and didn't even use heat on very special occasions, ie. a wedding or my 21st.

Tabihito
July 19th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I have been heat-free for um... three weeks? Two and a half? I'm a bit of a flat-iron addict, it just makes my hair so much more pleasant and manageable, but it's just so bad for my hair. I do seem to have almost obscenely resilient hair, especially given how fine it is, but there's definitely some damage from when I used it pretty much constantly when my hair was shorter than shoulder length.

So I've locked the darned thing away- literally! Wrapped the cord around a padlock, locked it (can't unwind it because the cord's too thick and the plug won't go through the middle), and put the key on my keyring. Making it just that much harder to get to is the incentive it seems to take me to really stop and think about what I'm doing before I use it.

I won't say I'm off it forever. There are special events that I'm going to want my hair down and manageable for. But definitely not for a long, long time.

RancheroTheBee
July 19th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I'm in. I've been heat-free for... uh, about three weeks now. :rolleyes: I can barely get it into a ponytail but hybrid washing seems to be helping the frizz.

jasper
July 19th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Heat? Yeah, I want to boycott hot weather. Warm weather, okay, but really hot? Let's boycott that.

I already don't use heat on my hair. Using a blowdryer would take forever and I quit years ago because it dries out my skin. I haven't tried heat styling for years as it became obvious that a curling iron is just a way to be sure all curl will fall right out of my hair within minutes. The flat iron never entered my life, I'm happy to say.

danacc
July 19th, 2010, 10:03 PM
As long as I can still use hot warm water in the shower, I'm in. :)

I haven't used a blow dryer / curling iron / hot rollers in over 10 years, and I've never been near a straightener.

Eden_Rayn
July 19th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I have not used heat since my wedding last year and before that it would be 8 or so years.

Flossy
July 20th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I wish I could. I can avoid it on my length, but the front just looks silly if I don't give it a blast. I have some baby hair (literally, from my babies) that doesn't sit right until it gets some heat. I don't know if I could just leave it, who knows if it would ever look right? I might try and use some clips or something to get it to sit straight. I might join in a week or so, if I can get the front to look OK without the dryer.

Sofoulee
July 20th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Last time I did this was a few months ago. I'm vowing to go 3 years, no heat. I should know better by now.

H'suan wen Hua
July 20th, 2010, 12:22 AM
22 years of no heat! Here is my pledge to 22 more years!

HintOfMint
July 20th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I have been, for the most part, heat free for 2 years and one month. I did get my hair blown out when I had it cut, which I think is pretty necessary because I want to see what it looks like when it dries. I also blow dried last August once, almost a year ago.
I heatstyle my bangs regularly though.

I guess I don't qualify compared to some of y'all, but I still consider myself to be boycotting heat.:)

christine1989
July 20th, 2010, 01:14 AM
I have been going strong for about 6 years (aside from the annual trip to the salon for a trim). I do however flat iron my hair a few times a year to accuratly evaluate the growth.

jera
July 20th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I wish I could boycott the heat outside!

I second this !!!!!!!! :D
To get backto the original question, I haven't used heat appliances for a year and a half. ;)

ArienEllariel
July 20th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I was never a heavy heat user but I can say that the few times I flat ironed my hair or blow dried it on hot really did a number on my hair. I currently air dry my hair unless it's really cold (which is just about never), then I use the cool to warm setting to get my hair semi dry.

Ulvashi
July 20th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I actually have heat-aplliances-phobia....so beside 2 times ironing my front bangs....and probably blowdrying my hairs not more that 10 times....I have never used any heat appliances in my whole life....Oh I m too laid back

Feng-Shui
July 20th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I used no warmth styling equipment for over six years on my hair.

Is not a reason for my tons distroy healthy more matter with non natural things.:)

LittleOrca
July 20th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I don't usually use heat at all, so I would soooo be game for this but... *hides blowdryer behind her back.*

ok, if I sleep with wet hair I wake up with a migraine-like headache and I don't want that! I promise my hair will be oiled and cared for! Just lemme have this little bit of heat... it's even on cool setting! See? *holds up*

alwayssmiling
July 20th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Nearly 8 weeks for me since I last used heat! I've noticed my hair is beginning to really shine without any product, frizz is 80% better and its growing faster because of less breakage. I really don't want to go back to heat styling, but I wonder what I'll do when autumn/winter comes.

Feng-Shui
July 20th, 2010, 03:24 AM
My more blowdryer I use occasionally with paint.
It shortens the time to the color is drying.:lol:

My heatet rollers I gave away long time ago.

I use rag roles instead if I wish curls and braidwaves loves.

One heatet iron I never possessed.

Iron0Maiden
July 20th, 2010, 08:19 AM
This is really great! I'm trying to get all of my friends to do this but I dont know about it... I had to wear my hair up for a while, because when I first started this is had a lot of damage and didnt look good unless I straightened it.. but now it looks a lot better. What are you guys doing during this time, are you just going to wear it up?

paigeturner
July 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Iron0Maiden, I've been heat free for about a month (no hairdryer and curling tongs) and I just wear my hair up everyday.
It prevents people from seeing my hair (I hate the shorter length, I wore clip-in extensions till a month ago and no-one knew), means I don't need to use heat on it and will protect it from wear and tear.

I'm doing the wear your hair up for a year thing (bar my bestfriend's birthday, my boyfriends birthday, halloween, christmas, new year, valentines day and my birthday) so that I can get my hair down to a reasonale length quick time! Wearing it up is just so much better!

Iron0Maiden
July 20th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Iron0Maiden, I've been heat free for about a month (no hairdryer and curling tongs) and I just wear my hair up everyday.
It prevents people from seeing my hair (I hate the shorter length, I wore clip-in extensions till a month ago and no-one knew), means I don't need to use heat on it and will protect it from wear and tear.

I'm doing the wear your hair up for a year thing (bar my bestfriend's birthday, my boyfriends birthday, halloween, christmas, new year, valentines day and my birthday) so that I can get my hair down to a reasonale length quick time! Wearing it up is just so much better!

-------------

I agree... while my layers were at that 'awkward' stage growing out I would just put my hair up and forget about it. It was nice just to be lazy and quit curling my hair every day like I used to *shudders* that was sooo bad for it!

paigeturner
July 20th, 2010, 10:11 AM
-------------

I agree... while my layers were at that 'awkward' stage growing out I would just put my hair up and forget about it. It was nice just to be lazy and quit curling my hair every day like I used to *shudders* that was sooo bad for it!

Your hair looks beautiful in your avatar anyway! So the wearing hair up and no heat must work a treat. :D

Coffeebug
July 20th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I haven't used heat on my hair for nine years really... chiefly cos I can't stand that weird hot hair smell or all the faff!

NorthernDancer
July 20th, 2010, 02:41 PM
My hair tends to dry pretty fast, so I've never really blow dried it all that much. I do have one for the rare occasions (like maybe once a year) when I have no option and don't really want to leave with wet hair. Like when it's 0 degrees out. :P

I used to use a curling iron on my bangs every day. But now that I'm growing them out, or at least longer, I've been heat free since... february? march?

chelseamichelle
July 20th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I am proud to say that i haven't used heat on my hair for almost two months! My hair has NEVER felt and looked better. It was hard at first because my bangs need styling, so now i just french braid them like a headband :) I want to pledge to only use heat on my hair for VERY special occasions, and other than that never again.

Iron0Maiden
July 24th, 2010, 12:46 PM
After not using heat on my hair for a very long time, it feels great! It used to feel sooo dry at the ends and look frazzled, but now I'm very happy to say that its probably the best it's been for a while. Also, normally I would need trims every 2 months because of the damamge, and I'm past 4 months now and still going, because I just dont really need one! :)