PDA

View Full Version : Detangling method

Cipher Highwind
June 26th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Which method do you use, and how well has it worked for you?

I only recently learned that detangling wet hair is not the best idea, and I have been experiencing some hair falling out as a result. However, I tried detangling with some olive oil and even more came out, so I am at a conundrum.

Meagan
June 26th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I detangle in the shower, with a wide tooth comb and alot of conditioner

HintOfMint
June 26th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Have you tried combing while in the shower when your hair is saturated in conditioner? Your hair should have the most slip then, so you might lose less hair due to breakage. Many people on this site swear by this method.

Cipher Highwind
June 26th, 2010, 02:09 AM
I condition, detangle, and rinse. If using shampoo, I shampoo, rinse, condition, detangle, and rinse. I use the wide bristled part of this comb (http://www.marlobeauty.com/cricket-combs-silkomb-pro-20.html)to detangle, starting at the bottom and moving up, usually in thirds or quarters. During the shower, the hair accumulates, some mornings more than others, and I would like to minimise this.

Khiwanean
June 26th, 2010, 02:12 AM
For a lot of people who have wavy hair, myself included, it works best to detangle in the shower (yes, with wet hair, but also with lots of conditioner). On the days I don't shower, finger combing works quite well for me. I wasn't always able to get away with just finger combing though, only since I started CWC and sleep braiding.

I wouldn't worry about hair falling out, it's breakage that you need to be wary of. If the strands are about the full length of your hair, they are likely shed hairs and not broken hairs.

Cipher Highwind
June 26th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Here is the bad part - there are really too many to tell; I will look tomorrow. The area near the part shows evidence of a few broken hairs with the frizz and flyaways.

http://img190.imageshack.us/g/head2oc.png/ - it does not look like the hair is breaking here, but this may be another issue entirely.

Tiina
June 26th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I don't think the problem is necessarily in combing. It is just that we notice shedding/breaking more while combing. It could be many other things such as an allergic reaction, stress, insufficient diet, etc...

09robiha
June 26th, 2010, 04:41 AM
The whole 'in the shower, full of conditioner thing' never really worked for me. I detangle whilst washing out my conditioner under the stream of shower water.

julliams
June 26th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Have you tried a Tangle Teaser? We got one for my daughter and it works wonders on dry tangly hair (dry as in not wet).

Cipher Highwind
June 26th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I've seen it mentioned on here; it may well be worth a try as we seem to have similar hair types.

Fiferstone
June 26th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Hi Cipher Highwind, I viewed your images, then checked out your profile, forgive me for asking but you don't indicate your biological sex. I'm wondering if the shedding is hormone related or something else. If you were biologically male, judging from the images I'd wonder if I was looking at the beginnings of a male pattern baldness shed. Have you been to a doctor to rule out a medical reason for the shed? If not, and it concerns you, I'd definiitely have a doctor check it out. Good luck to you as you deal with it.

EdG
June 26th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I detangle with a wide-tooth wooden comb while my hair is still slightly damp. The dampness gives the hair some slip.

I suspect you are experiencing normal shedding. During detangling, hairs at the end of their growth cycle will naturally shed out. Most of my sheds occur during detangling; it's rare for me to shed at other times.
Ed

squiggyflop
June 26th, 2010, 09:33 AM
um well i mostly detangle my hair before i wash it with a wood bristle brush... then i comb in conditioner.. than to keep it from tangling later i usually braid it wet or bun it

trolleypup
June 26th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Detangle dry before washing. Finger combing followed by combing. I generally don't mess with it when wet, but it can be combed out when wet if detangled before.

GRU
June 26th, 2010, 10:24 AM
1. Wet hair in shower, slather on conditioner.

2. Detangle as much as possible with fingers.

3. Use wide-toothed comb, starting at the ends, to work out any remaining tangles.

4. Use regular-toothed comb to get any teeny tangles the wide-toothed comb missed.

With my curl pattern, tangles and snarls are a given. This method works without me having to yank any hairs out from the top or rip any hairs at the bottom.

goldielocs
June 26th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Have any of you considered putting your hair in 4- 6 loose braids before washing to avoid tangling? When I wash my DD's hair, detangle first, put it into 6 loose braids and secure the ends with cloth covered hair ties. Then I wash. I may have to detangle one or two areas instead of her entire head.

I also condition her hair this way too. It may be most helpful with type 3 and 4 hair.

Just a suggestion.

GRU
June 26th, 2010, 10:36 AM
My hair is too tangled to braid before my shower, plus I don't add any tangles in the process of washing -- I don't use a circular motion or pile my hair up on top of my head, but just run my fingers front-to-back-and-down-the-length.

HotRag
June 26th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I comb with wide tooth comb or very wide tooth comb before washing.

Then the same after drying.

When shifting to washing NOT upside down, I can do this. Before, I washed upside down, and had to detangle when wet, first with conditioner and then after taking the towel away and let my hair back into "normal direction". Did not get more breakage then though, but I was very gentle. I have washed "standing up" for more than a year now.

I loose most hairs when combing after the wash, 3-5 times more than the other days.

I comb with very wide tooth comb and fingers once a day.

Cipher Highwind
June 26th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hi Cipher Highwind, I viewed your images, then checked out your profile, forgive me for asking but you don't indicate your biological sex. I'm wondering if the shedding is hormone related or something else. If you were biologically male, judging from the images I'd wonder if I was looking at the beginnings of a male pattern baldness shed. Have you been to a doctor to rule out a medical reason for the shed? If not, and it concerns you, I'd definiitely have a doctor check it out. Good luck to you as you deal with it.

I may have to see a doctor about this; thanks for the lead. I did not see where on the profile I am supposed to enter gender, so please forgive the ambiguity.

JenniferNoel
June 26th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I finger comb in the shower under the running water, and then wait for it to dry. I take a wide toothed pick comb to it, very slowly and carefully, when completely dry.