PDA

View Full Version : Does search and destroy cause thin ends?

eezepeeze
June 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I just started doing search and destroy a couple weeks ago and I thought of something. Does doing it make your hemline thin or give you fairytale ends? I like to keep my hemline thick and even (relatively). Any input you guys can share? Thanks!!!

Igor
June 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
If you cut off the damaged part and not much more than the damaged parts it doesn’t thin out the ends, no

Angeletti
June 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I think as long as you get trims regularly, like every three months or so, you should be fine and won't get fairytale ends from just doing search and destroy. I have fairytale ends but it's from not getting a haircut for over two years

May
June 14th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I would say yes it does so if you want an even, thick hemline I would do micro trims in lieu of s&d.

When my hair was waist I did micro trims (2-3mm) every 6 weeks and it had almost no noticeable effect on my length or growth progress.

Olde Soul
June 14th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I compulsively S&D, and my ends have thinned out slightly. Then again, I've not had a trim in 6 months either.

eezepeeze
June 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I just had a healthy trim of about an inch and a half that got rid of a lot of damage. I have been doung search an ddestroy to clean up any splits that the trim missed. I think I will switch to micro trims once a month and try that for a while. Although I do find s and d quite addictive. It's very rewarding, isn't it, getting rid of all those splits :)

Merewen
June 14th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I S&D constantly and get a lot of splits, but my ends still don't look any thinner than I'd expect than with plain old not trimming. Ends will thin over time just because your hair grows at different speeds, so if you want a blunt hemline, you'll have to trim every so often. I'm not convinced S&D has a noticeable effect on it, though.

Carolyn
June 14th, 2010, 07:26 PM
If you want a thick blunt hemline and you have split ends that are up a ways from the very end of the hemline, then IMO you need to do both S & D and get regular mini trims. Not all split ends will be in the last half inch of hair. Most of mine aren't. So I S & D regularly to take care of the splits and and mini trim regularly to keep my hemline blunt. I've had 2 one half inch trims this year and have been doing S & D on a regular basis and my ends are looking better.

jane53
June 14th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I never S & D and it would scare the bejeezus out of me to do it.

But then I have almost no split ends.

And I get my hair trimmed every 8-12 weeks.

spidermom
June 14th, 2010, 07:29 PM
It depends on how much damage you're trying to cut out a hair at a time. When I joined I had a lot of heat damage, and I did lots and lots and lots of S&D. My ends got very thin, but I still had a lot of damage, so I had a 5-inch trim. Every time I see lots of splits, I just go ahead and get however much of a trim that I need to get rid of most of them rather than S&D. I save S&D for when I'm stuck sitting around with nothing to do. These days there's not much to cut out, thank goodness! I had a 4-inch cut in January because of split ends and have grown back those inches already.

Jenn of Pence
June 14th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I see it as a way to delay a trim to gain a little ground on length. I've been S&D-ing off an on for a couple of months now after a blunt trim and haven't seen much thinning yet, but that might not be enough time to tell yet, and maybe I haven't trimmed a large enough percentage off (I do have pretty thick hair).

hoolahooper
June 14th, 2010, 08:21 PM
S&D is awesome. I have highlighted hair and mostly those are the ones with split. So s&d helps me keep length

Yozhik
June 14th, 2010, 09:04 PM
With your thickness, I don't think you necessarily have to worry about thinning up your ends :flower:

I'm a ii, and with regular S&D's I've noticed a slight thinning in my ends, but truthfully, I think it looks better (so I don't get the dreaded bushy triangle head). Maybe your texture makes the difference? :shrug:

It all comes down to a matter of preference, I think. :)

Gypsy
June 14th, 2010, 11:37 PM
If you don't have very sharp hair scissors (not kitchen or paper cutting or all purpose scissors) then you can rip up your ends, but otherwise it's a matter of where your "areas" are you are snipping- too much in one spot of course will thin that spot out.

lelaelena
June 15th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I too S&D like a maniac and have noticed my ends looking more thin. Not that I mind, my ends are so frizzy and dried out that they look far more puffed out than the healthier newer portion of my hair, so I feel it kind of balances it.