PDA

View Full Version : Do older people comment on your hair a lot?

Curlsgirl
October 8th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I find that I get a lot of compliments on my hair from older people (say 70 and up?). I had a lady stop me yesterday just to tell me how she loved my hair. As long as I am showing the length it happens. I wonder if they remember THEIR mothers and grandmothers wearing long hair and are sad that you don't see it that much anymore? Around here there are few people with hair past BSL at all so I guess I stand out. I just think it's so sweet and they seem so happy to tell me how pretty they think it is! Anyone else get this?

thunderlilies
October 8th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Yes, I've gotten this too! I get Grandma and Grandpa-type folks telling me my hair reminds them of 'so-and-so' or that it looks lovely, etc. I, personally, love it and it can be a way to strike up a conversation :)

spidermom
October 8th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I had a single, down-the-back braid during my 2-1/2 days on the train recently. Even though it was getting rattier-looking by the day, I got two compliments on it, both from older people (70s or so). But I wouldn't say I get comments from older people a lot.

Carolyn
October 8th, 2009, 08:48 AM
9 out of 10 hair comments are from women who are older than me. Keep in mind 10 comments are about 2 years of hair comments for me. When my mom was in the nursing home, I would get a comment from one of the residents now and then. I had a nice comment at a county fair summer before last on my bun from an older lady. That's been about it. It's rare I get a comment from someone my age or younger.

Tangerine
October 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I wonder if it is also something to do with 'older' people feeling more free to offer compliments.

I haven't had any hair compliments, but I do get a lot of attention with my pram. We have one of those single three-wheeler sporty numbers with an extra seat clicked on the back and when I'm going round town I often get 'grandma' types coming over to compliment the pram (and the kids too:D ) and we have a wee chat about how nifty it is :).

yellowchariot
October 8th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I do tend to get more complements from older women. I guess it's because they are most free and open about discussion, than in their earlier years of youth :confused: IDK! They are so nice to talk to as well! I could have a great lengthy discussion with and older lady far more often than a woman my age! lol :p

MsBubbles
October 8th, 2009, 09:50 AM
No I don't get these compliments but I'm really glad to hear your stories!

yellowchariot
October 8th, 2009, 10:05 AM
No I don't get these compliments but I'm really glad to hear your stories!

MrBubbles, you need to go out right now, and get one! :D
Your missing out on some good stuff! haha! :thumbsup:

ZenBird07
October 8th, 2009, 10:16 AM
The compliment that really stands out to me was when I was 13 or 14. A long while ago:o. I was at a laundromat and had hair around my bummy back in a ponytail that happened to clump in one big curl that day and the compliment was made by an elderly woman. She just loved it and everything about it. The curl. The color. The length. The texture. The thickness. Back then I blushed at everything so the attention was a little un-nerving but she seemed like a nice person...:)

rchorr
October 8th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I've also had the opposite happen. The lady across the street is over 90, and she HATES long hair. She keeps asking when I'm getting mine cut, and when I'm going to cut my DD's hair.

You just never know what people (of ANY age) are thinking.

RCHORR'

jojo
October 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM
how rude! unfortunatelly my hair is not long enough to get compliments as yet, thats hopefully something to look forward to!

MemSahib
October 8th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Around here the older women seem to prefer short hair, so comments are not usually positive.

ChrissieM
October 8th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I've also had the opposite happen. The lady across the street is over 90, and she HATES long hair. She keeps asking when I'm getting mine cut, and when I'm going to cut my DD's hair.

RCHORR'

LOL...my grandmother is 93 and feels the same way. But I am the only person in her family to ever have hair longer than shoulder length, so I guess she is just not used to it. She offers to take me to her stylist every time I visit. I used to give in, but not anymore.

morguebabe
October 8th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah Older people always love my hair.

maegquare
October 8th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Curlsgirl, I hadn't thought about this, but now that you mention it, I think you are right. Interesting.

how rude! unfortunatelly my hair is not long enough to get compliments as yet, thats hopefully something to look forward to!

Your hair is gorgeous! If you're not already getting compliments, the people around you must not be very observant! Here's hoping they 'wake up' soon. I'm sure it won't be that way much longer. :)

JamieLeigh
October 8th, 2009, 02:49 PM
A lot of the comments I get are from older ladies and gentlemen. I used to wonder if they were being reminded of their younger days when they saw my hair...but then I realized that most of them were younger in the 20s and 30s when shorter hair was "in". So maybe they either had shorter hair and regretted it...but that's just what was in style, so they went with it? Or maybe they too, like me, shunned modern style and just wore their hair the way they liked it? There could be lots of reasons.....I'm just happy that my personal choicees are appreciated every so often. :)

Feng-Shui
October 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Yes, I get a great many nice words to my hair of older people.

They say it are very beautiful and unfortunate that it to see so rare in this time.:)

Teazel
October 8th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I remember one time when I was about 15... I was walking down a city street when an elderly lady, who was working in her front garden, stopped me to compliment my hair. It was loose and waistlength at the time.

Other than that, I don't recall many comments from old folks. But I do think older people are more free with their opinions, in general. :wink:

Speckla
October 8th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Elderly ladies love my curls. They tell me that I'm so lucky because I won't have to get perms later on in life. :)

Quixii
October 8th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I definitely get more comments from adults, and probably more from people over fifty. I always figured it was because they were less into the trend of short hair that my peers are into, but I've since realized they have a similar trend so I'm not sure.

little_acorn
October 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Nope, no compliments here :(

Yozhik
October 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Back when I had long hair (oh to grow it out to that length again -- I can't wait) I used to get a lot of compliments. And since it's wavy and ripply when it's longer, I'd also get people trying to run their fingers through it -- Owww!

jojo
October 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Curlsgirl, I hadn't thought about this, but now that you mention it, I think you are right. Interesting.

Your hair is gorgeous! If you're not already getting compliments, the people around you must not be very observant! Here's hoping they 'wake up' soon. I'm sure it won't be that way much longer. :)
you made my day! thank you xx

sweetestday
October 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Yes, just about the only compliments I've ever received have been from elderly folks. Except for my DH, of course. :)

misstwist
October 10th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I'm in about 30 nursing homes a month from October to May. I get a hair compliment from the women who live there at least once a week. It's very gratifying. :D

I notice that I get most compliments with a braided bun or with retro-40's looks.

kam984420
October 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I tend to get ALOT of NEGATIVE comments from older people when i told them i was growing my hair out. Of course im a guy.

82exoticbeauty
October 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I had those good compliments by older people before! It was 2007 when I had classic, the most who comments are older ones! some are younger, different genders!

Amraann
October 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I get compliments from people of all ages.

viking_quest
October 11th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I don't get compliments from random people but all of my older relatives always tell me how lovely my hair is. I guess that counts.

rhubarbarin
October 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Yes, and it's so nice.

Older people like longer hair, but they also really like curls.. curls were always desirable before the 60s.

spidermom
October 12th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I was standing on the veranda here at home last night. An older woman (maybe 8-10 years older than me) was out walking with her grandson and told me "your hair is magnificent!" Oh my; thanks; major blushing going on.

darkwaves
October 12th, 2009, 10:41 AM
This is interesting, isn't it?

I've received several compliments from older men -- and to me, that means men in their 70s and up. And from very elderly women, too. (There's one who is 100 in my mother's senior's home, who wanted to touch my hair the last time I was there. Sure, I said. Why not?)

I wonder if people that age remember... not their mothers, surely (the 1920s were the start of chopping to shorter hair) -- but their grandmothers, perhaps, with long hair? Or other women they grew up with? Teachers, and the like?

I was once told by an elderly man -- in his 80s -- that I reminded him of a teacher he'd had when he was young. I gather all the boys were fascinated by her hair -- even in updos. And then there was the man who tapped my shoulder during a church service to say something like, "Thank you for bringing back the glories of the past." Gracious! How courtly!

(Of course, this represents several years of hair compliments for me -- I get about one a year.)

enfys
October 12th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I've had comments from older men that almost always fall into the creepy category; "I like girls with long hair" would make me a bit uncomfortable said by anyone, but more so if they're older than my dad.

I love the older people who tell me I remind them of something from the past. I had a customer in work, who I'd guess was 80+ say "Oh! I've not seen anyone wear their hair like that since I was a girl!" It was a plait pinned round my head. I was going for Leia, but WWII child is fine too.

I also love it when I'm wearing a WWII style that hides my length and an oldie comments how true of the era it looks. I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds.

Older people comment on my hair more than sober younger people, but they're more likely to comment on other things too, like my clothes or piercings. Usually very complimentary.

I love old people.

RuthieAnne
October 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I am approached all the time by older women and they invariably say "Don't ever cut it!" I wonder if they were remembering some bad experiences with their hair and wished they could go back in time.

God bless,

~Ruthie

meph
October 12th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I do get comments from older people, mostly from men. It's not about the length of my hair, which isn't that long yet, but about the colour. It often creeps me out, but sometimes I'm flattered by it.

windinherhair
October 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I work with the elderly but I wear my hair up to work now so I don't get comments like I used to where I worked before. When I was in high school I wore my hair down to work when I worked at the mall, and I noticed that I would get a lot of compliments from older people then too. I remember many older women telling me I should never change my color. And what did I end up doing! :rolleyes:

Edit: Actually, the other day I had an elderly man, a relative of a lady I work with, tell me that I reminded him of Audrey Hepburn. I took that as a compliment. Although I don't think I look a lot like her in the face, he must have thought I did by my updo with bangs.

EvergreenEffect
October 12th, 2009, 10:20 PM

RCHORR'
Same for me. I am constantly being told by older people - especially in the grandparent range - that it looks bad in countless ways for a guy to have long hair. My grandmother for one is constantly trying to get me to cut my hair short, and always telling me how much better I looked as a little kid with short buzzed hair.
:angry:

Amara
October 12th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I think the only compliments I've gotten have been from people over 60. But I've only gotten like 3 or 4 compliments total, so I'm not sure if it's just coincidence. Also, I work in a library, and we get lots of older folks in there, so it might just be location.

SurprisingWoman
October 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM
When I was still coloring I got compliments from younger people and people my age allll the time.

Now that I have gone gray I get compliments from men (rarely) and they are usually my age or older, women older than me (frequently) and on VERY RARE occasions I will get a shout out from someone young.

It bothered me for a while (and probably still does sometimes) but it is what it is. I don't wear my hair down as much since I quit coloring (it's more delicate) so maybe that has something to do with it.

*eyeroll* yeah, right.

No biggie. I am more blessed than many on LHC. People seem to be fairly vocal about their appreciation of my hair. I will shut up now.

(I do miss the more frequent comments from before though..... fyi)