PDA

View Full Version : A sign I saw...

halo_tightens
September 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
I walked to the convenience store last night to grab something-- it's just up the block. I passed several assorted shops on the way, all of which were closed for the night. All of them had posters and flyers in the windows, advertising sales or community events, and I usually look at them as I pass. This time, one of them kind of gave me the creeps, and I immediately thought of all of you guys and wondered what you'd think of this. So here it is, if I can get it to post right... I'll type what it says below in case it's not readable; it was dark and all I had was my phone camera.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q182/charityholyfield/scarysignconcealed.jpg

It says:
Locks of Love and (name removed) Benefit
Saturday, October 3, 2009
(Name, address, and phone number of business removed)
Auction begins at 7 p.m. Lots of donated gift baskets and other items of interest. The highest bidder actually gets to cut the hair of several generous people willing to donate their long hair for the cause!
All proceeds will be divided between Locks of Love and (name removed) of (town removed), who was struck by a car and seriously injured. Proceeds will help pay for her continued medical care.

Several things seem off to me here... The fact that people will be competing for the right to cut some stranger's hair off seems a little weird to me. I also don't understand why Locks of Love is involved when the person was hit by a car, not diagnosed with cancer or alopecia or anything that LoL would be connected to.

Whaddaya think?

Heavenly Locks
September 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
:tmi: :scared: :scissors:

That's really not awesome at all.

Fifty-Five
September 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Very weird. O.o Sounds like someone was doing a LoL fund raiser, then someone got hit by a car and decided to split the profits between the two causes.

I think I'd like the flyer if you removed 'Locks of Love' and the only 'winner cuts people's hair off' bit.

friskybiznus
September 23rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Maybe the person lost their hair in the car accident....

Themyst
September 23rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
WTH?!!? A woman was seriously injured in a car accident - just give her all the funds! Sounds like the host of this deal was well meaning but a little goofy.

Carolyn
September 23rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Sounds like a haircut pervert's dream come true. Ick.

bigevilgrape
September 23rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Creeeeeeeepy. Yes please let a bunch of perfverts with a hair ****** bid on the opertunity to cut my hair. I feel dirty thinking about it even.

ericthegreat
September 23rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
I truly feel bad for whoever was in the car accident. He or she receives all my prayers, I hope you recover from your injuries.

As for Locks of Love, all I have to say are some choice four letter words that would be bleeped out.

halo_tightens
September 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
See, what Carolyn and bigevilgrape said is exactly what went through my mind when I read that. Maybe it won't be that way; maybe a friend or acquaintance of the volunteer will bid hard to win, because it's someone they know. On the other hand, this situation is wide open for one of those pervos to come in and have a field day.

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose mind went there! :o

NiAosSi
September 23rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Creepy... Winner gets to cut the hair off. All the ******ist must be lining up like hot cakes.

adiapalic
September 23rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Sounds like a spur-of-the-moment, half-baked idea for a fundraiser to help the person who got hit, which explains how devoid of logic the whole thing is.
I can see it now, "Hey! Let's get people to donate to Locks of Love, big crowds always show up to those" "Oh! Maybe we should get an auction started to sell.. I don't know, baskets of stuff, and whoever spends the most money gets to chop off the hair!"

That's goofy.

Magdalene
September 23rd, 2009, 06:19 PM
This is "off" in so many ways I don't even know where to start. Run, Forest, run!

Rebelkat
September 23rd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Creepy... Winner gets to cut the hair off. All the ******ist must be lining up like hot cakes.
:couch:
Exactly what I was thinking. I mean... who else would COMPETE for the "opportunity" to cut a bunch of people's hair? Maybe the person(s) holding the event is (are) hoping to get a lot of money from all the pervs trying to win the chance to cut all the hair... I mean, why else would that be a selling point? I don't know any normal person that that would appeal to.

Syaoransbear
September 23rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
Most people don't know that there are people who have ******es for long hair. I definitely didn't before I came to this forum.

While I wouldn't compete, if someone wanted me to lop off all their hair I'd totally do it, but personally I'm a little scissor happy.

Konstifik
September 24th, 2009, 01:01 AM
That creeps me out! That sure is one contest I wouldn't like to win...

oogie
September 24th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Who thinks up this stuff? Why don't they just say what they are really meaning? Oh here we'll use this car that we haven't bought or taken care of to take us down the road and it doesn't matter what kind of a hitch-hiker we pick up along the way. :rolleyes:

Shows that the person behind the 'fundraiser is either:

A- unimaginative. (car wash, window wash, even knocking on doors)
B- unable to cook (bake sale, hotdog sale, pack lunches)
C- likes backing scams (we all know what a scam LoL is)
D- has a thing about hair.

Which makes me question the type of person who would put this event together. Could it be a ******ist or the person in the hospital be one? Will these willing souls be photographed and video taped as they get their hair cut? Of course.... and what's going to happen to those images? Gee someone who could put these two things together might get even MORE money out of selling them huh?

While I don't like this,obviously, I do hope the person in the hospital well and a fast recovery. There are charities already in place, in most states, that can and will help pay hospital bills. I hate the medical debt folks can get into, BTDT, but there are other means of help.

Sorry if I offend, it's just my opinion. I'll be getting off the soapbox and taking my tinfoil hat with me.

Toadstool
September 24th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Good grief! Why on earth would anyone bid for the "opportunity" to cut off someone's hair???
I mean, are there so many people who would enjoy it that it's just taken for granted there will beloads of bidders? It really sounds like a power/violence/desecration thing to me.
And I bet it won't be women bidding.

Alia
September 24th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I wonder if LoL is even really involved, or did they use their name as a draw?:hmm:

Anje
September 24th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I don't get it -- the whole thing sounds so screwy.

So was the person who got hit an anti-long-hair activist or something who would feel honored by all the hair being whacked off for them?

JamieLeigh
September 24th, 2009, 08:49 AM
It's nice to want to help someone who was injured and could really use the money. And apparently these people still think LoL is a good organization with no shady business tactics....That's really sad.

Still, it IS a bit creepy to be competing for the honor of chopping off someone's hair. :eek:

GoddesJourney
September 24th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I see nothing wrong with the cutting off the hair part. I think people often put up something extreme and unusual like this to get attention for a cause. Some people are willing to get pied in the face or dunked in a barrel. Cutting of hair is not permanent. Not everyone sees hair as sacred as most LHC members seem to. However, as someone else mentioned earlier, take the girl who got hit by the car and send her all the benefits and maybe a nice get well soon card from LoL.

Loreley
September 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM
This is ridiculous. Why would people injured in a car accident need a wig?

enfys
September 24th, 2009, 11:22 AM
"Proceeds" will be shared between LoL and the car victim? Proceeds? They don't actually say the hair will be donated.

Yeah, and what everyone else said.

Usually when there's a comunity thing like that people will donate without the draw of an organisation. I'm thinking about when there's been a house gutted by fire or something.

I don't know. It doesn't seem right to me.

Toadstool
September 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I see nothing wrong with the cutting off the hair part. I think people often put up something extreme and unusual like this to get attention for a cause. Some people are willing to get pied in the face or dunked in a barrel. Cutting of hair is not permanent. Not everyone sees hair as sacred as most LHC members seem to. However, as someone else mentioned earlier, take the girl who got hit by the car and send her all the benefits and maybe a nice get well soon card from LoL.

I don't see hair as at all sacred, it was just why would people bother to bid to be the one doing the cutting? If the people were being sponsored to have it cut by a hairdresser I'd think it was great.

SHELIAANN1969
September 24th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I don't know the reason behind it, but the idea of the fundraiser, other than the haircutting is a generous idea.

Maybe the OP can contact the people in charge and express their distaste for the hair portion of the event?

halo_tightens
September 24th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Maybe the OP can contact the people in charge and express their distaste for the hair portion of the event?

I thought about it, I really did. I don't think I'm going to say anything, though.

This is a VERY small town, the kind where everyone literally does know everyone else. (population around 3,000) If I were in a bigger city, then yeah, I'd probably have to say something or ask some questions. I just don't want it coming back to haunt me, because in all likelihood, someone involved in this event works where I do, shops where I shop, etc.

I'm sure they don't share the LHC passion for long hair if they're planning this sort of event, so I doubt I'd get a very good reception!

SHELIAANN1969
September 24th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I understand it may be a small town, but it won't change unless you ask questions or speak up.

Of course I don't want you to do anything that you don't want to, but you could block your phone number and call in and ask, or just let it be known that you find it odd.

There may be others who don't want to do this, but will out of fear of speaking up.

ETA: I wanted to say, I think that the biggest question for me is WHY is Locks of Love getting ANY of this money when it is a fundraiser for someone in the hospital?

Usually when LOL comes around, the donations are the hair.

I would be inquiring gently, as to why the full amount doesn't go to the person at the hospital.

GoddesJourney
September 24th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I don't see hair as at all sacred, it was just why would people bother to bid to be the one doing the cutting? If the people were being sponsored to have it cut by a hairdresser I'd think it was great.

Why would you bid to be the one who throws the pie or throws the ball to dunk the guy in the barrel?

Amara
September 24th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Ewww! That's super creepy.

RancheroTheBee
September 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Why would you bid to be the one who throws the pie or throws the ball to dunk the guy in the barrel?

I think the problem is not that someone's hair is getting cut. I think most of us are thinking super creepy ******ists.

AngelicBrunette
September 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Okay guys, lets all take a deep breath. We tend to go into a frenzy when LOL comes up and I definitely understand. And while this does seem slightly strange (half the proceeds to lol and half to the victim?) I think we are reading too much into it. I suspected from the start this was a small town thing (I am also from a small town where we have many benefits) and as I read on this was confirmed.

The chances of this being a big crowd of ******ists all fighting for the chance to win is extremely rare. Having a ****** of cutting off long hair is not as common as we might think- it's just that what are so aware of it on these boards. I bet almost everyone who will attend the benefit or is involved in it would not even be aware of such things.

Also- even if they were s e x u a l l y aroused by the hair cutting.. the person volunteered and it is raising money for a person who needs it (even though they won't be getting all of it... ) so what difference does it make? It doesn't mean they will attack the person getting their hair cut or anything.
What about the people who have ******es of women exercising? Are you guys gonna stop participating in breast cancer runs, etc? ******ists could be in the crowd watching you know!

Now if this was some huge event in a stadium being advertised on the internet, I would get the concern. But for some little fundraiser in some community center... I don't think it's going to be a noted event in the '****** community'.

This is ridiculous. Why would people injured in a car accident need a wig?

Well one reason I could think of is if they had a head or brain injury and needed surgery. Their hair would have to be shaved at least in portions. But I have no idea if this is the case. It is a bit strange to combine these two causes if there was nothing of the sort, but just giving an idea of why they may need one.

longhairedfairy
September 24th, 2009, 03:53 PM
ETA: I wanted to say, I think that the biggest question for me is WHY is Locks of Love getting ANY of this money when it is a fundraiser for someone in the hospital?

Usually when LOL comes around, the donations are the hair.

I would be inquiring gently, as to why the full amount doesn't go to the person at the hospital.
That's what I was wondering about.

burns_erin
September 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Good grief! Why on earth would anyone bid for the "opportunity" to cut off someone's hair???
I mean, are there so many people who would enjoy it that it's just taken for granted there will beloads of bidders? It really sounds like a power/violence/desecration thing to me.
And I bet it won't be women bidding.

Not that I like the idea of this event, but I can see, sort of, where the idea came from. To most people's mind it is really not any different from bidding to be the person who pie's someone. Not saying they are right, but I think that is the kind of reasoning behind such an event.

ETA: Went away, came back, and realize people had already more eloquently said what I was trying to say before I actually finished replying.

ravenreed
September 24th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I also don't see anything that out of line. Most people don't know about the LOL controversy. Sounds like people are just trying to do something nice for someone. If someone is not attached to his/her hair and doesn't mind a stranger cutting it for a fund raiser, I see no problem with it.

If the OP really was bugged, an anonymous note describing the LOL problem and some suitable alternatives might be a solution.

Okay guys, lets all take a deep breath. We tend to go into a frenzy when LOL comes up and I definitely understand. And while this does seem slightly strange (half the proceeds to lol and half to the victim?) I think we are reading too much into it. I suspected from the start this was a small town thing (I am also from a small town where we have many benefits) and as I read on this was confirmed.

The chances of this being a big crowd of ******ists all fighting for the chance to win is extremely rare. Having a ****** of cutting off long hair is not as common as we might think- it's just that what are so aware of it on these boards. I bet almost everyone who will attend the benefit or is involved in it would not even be aware of such things.

Also- even if they were s e x u a l l y aroused by the hair cutting.. the person volunteered and it is raising money for a person who needs it (even though they won't be getting all of it... ) so what difference does it make? It doesn't mean they will attack the person getting their hair cut or anything.
What about the people who have ******es of women exercising? Are you guys gonna stop participating in breast cancer runs, etc? ******ists could be in the crowd watching you know!

Now if this was some huge event in a stadium being advertised on the internet, I would get the concern. But for some little fundraiser in some community center... I don't think it's going to be a noted event in the '****** community'.

Well one reason I could think of is if they had a head or brain injury and needed surgery. Their hair would have to be shaved at least in portions. But I have no idea if this is the case. It is a bit strange to combine these two causes if there was nothing of the sort, but just giving an idea of why they may need one.