PDA

View Full Version : dull dry hair

stargazer028
September 16th, 2009, 07:11 PM
How can I make my hair more shiny atm its dry and very dull from coloring, I have about 2"s medium brown roots and the ends are like a dark blonde/light brown its looking horrible atm I dont want to colour it anymore because Im trying to grow out my natural colour. Ive tried serums and lots of conditioner but its not working.....

Lamb
September 16th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Have you tried clarifying? you might have build-up from all the serums and conditioners. :flower:

butterflycayton
September 16th, 2009, 07:24 PM
The ends of my hair are very dry from perm and sun. I use Aussie shampoo and Conditioner, and always leave in conditoner. I have started oiling the day before I wash and bun it. That has helped it alot. I know some people put protein in their hair to help it. I haven't tried that yet. Maybe vinegar rinse will help with the shine

heatherdazy
September 16th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Have a vegetable-based color glaze like Redken Shades or Paul Mitchel Shines put on your hair. It will richen up your ends without affecting your new growth, soften the line of your roots, and add gobs of shine.

It won't add moisture, so if your problem is dry hair, you'll need to do a deep conditioning treatment first, but if it's just dullness, those are a great solution.

sweetnmellow
September 16th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I have noticed a big difference in shine when I use vinegar or tea rinces at the end of my bath but make sure that either of them is cold it seals your hair cuticule and brings out the shine... Also if you havent already done it use less hair products to keep your hair from getting dull. One other thing I noticed a difference with is taking fish oil supplements they make my hair and my face glow.

curls2grow
September 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM
ACV rinse helps my hair shine. For continued shine, I do a gloss treatment at home about every 2 months.

Tangles
September 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM
EVOO. It's one of those things that makes already well moisturized hair icky, but works wonders on dryness.

cakebaker
September 16th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Just a tad of coconut or sweet almond oil works for me. After my hair is dry I rub just a bit together in my hands and then lightly sweep them over the canopy of my hair. Cool water rinses might help too.

RocketDog
September 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Jojoba or coconut oil works wonders for me - I have a few inches of old, old dyed hair that does seem to look duller than my virgin hair, and just a tiny drop of either oil rubbed into the ends of my hair really brings out a ton of shine. I apply it just like cakebaker explained.

Also, there is a difference between that lacquered, mirror-like shine that dyed, silicone-drenched hair has compared to the multi-dimensional sheen of healthy, virgin hair. I've come to appreciate the way my virgin hair looks like, even though it's not anything like the manes you see in hair commercials.

Tomato
September 17th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I agree with the posts before me.... coconut oil really proofed to be a miracle for my hair.
You can either put a good amount before washing as a curing treatment and/ or after washing, then only a little bit (experimenting required here), which is nevertheless very helpful and good for hair.
Good luck!

stargazer028
September 21st, 2009, 04:51 AM
I put a colour rinse on my hair the other day and the shine has returned a bit... will have to try some of your recommendations though...
thanks for your replies

Ally<3
September 21st, 2009, 05:37 AM
Make sure you thoroughly wash out your shampoo. You're going to want to rinse for a full 2 or 3 minutes. Shampoo build up makes the hair look dull.

I have the same problem. Mine's basically over porous from colouring and can't hold any moisture I put in it for too long, so it gets very dry. I'm also growing out my natural colour and have similar stats to you. Such a long process!