PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Bangs Help

WelshLocks
August 13th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I recently read a post about another member thinking about dying her hair dark and getting bangs like Zooey Deschanel. Being the impulsive person I am, I immediately wanted the heavy bangs again.I used to have to about a year ago, but I didn't understand how to keep them up.Can someone help me a)figure out how to cut heavy bangs myself b)how to keep them up daily(do i round brush them...what?)Should I use gel on them...ect.

I remember loving my bangs because they hid acne on my forehead, and made my blue eyes pop.

My current bangs look like this:(a little bit shorter)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9taMkTsD8ug/SO-waToyxiI/AAAAAAAAAA4/z5Qke2dfn2s/s320/jessica-alba-side-bangs.jpg

What I want:

http://thebeautystop.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/zooey-d.jpg

Thanks!

Maddy25
August 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM
haha Im the one who made ther other post with Zooey. When I had bangs like that I never round brushed them, I just combed them and let them airdry sort of chunky cause that how hers are.

bttrfly857
August 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM
A few weeks ago I was wanting Zooey bangs, but I have a small widow's peak/some cowlicks in my hairline, so I remembered that bangs don't cooperate with me.

The Zooey bangs could make a round face look rounder, and they would probably give you less hair in your ponytail, if that's an issue.

ETA: I skipped your question! lol. I really don't have any styling advice, as my hairs pretty straight. Sorry!

melikai
August 13th, 2009, 05:06 PM
A few weeks ago I was wanting Zooey bangs, but I have a small widow's peak/some cowlicks in my hairline, so I remembered that bangs don't cooperate with me.

The Zooey bangs could make a round face look rounder, and they would probably give you less hair in your ponytail, if that's an issue.

ETA: I skipped your question! lol. I really don't have any styling advice, as my hairs pretty straight. Sorry!

I had the same experience with bangs - too much work for me! They also would get greasier far more quickly than the rest of my hair, and so I had to wash them daily. I used a BBB and blowdrier to try to keep them shaped and in place.
Also, if you're already concerned with acne on your forehead, bangs can sometimes aggravate that.

rogue_psyche
August 13th, 2009, 05:29 PM
With your hairtype you might need to use heat on your bangs to make them lie straight like Zooey's. Its a really cute look if you can pull it off!

I'd use the two week rule though, because those bangs are cut much deeper than Jessica Alba's and you might miss the extra thickness in the length, and growing it back out will be a pain. I know this from experience in cuting bangs a bit deeper than I should have. You would also have to cut them more often; depending on how quick your hair grows you might have to trim every other week. I'm assuming you know how to upkeep your own bangs, though.

To cut the bangs I would blow dry them straight and cut them straight-ish, a bit below where your want them to hit. That way you can see what your doing to cut the shape just right. Zooey's bangs are just below her cheekbones on the outer edges and gently U to just brush the tips of her eyelashes. Depending on your thickness you might have to add hair to thicken the bangs up. Zooey also has a deeper bang; typical bangs end at the tips of the eybrows.

Whichever you decide,you should join the Bangs/Fringe Group (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=62) and post pics!

Aeon F.
August 13th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I love Zooey's look! :D I got her heavy bangs too- though I have a natural parting in my hair that tends to make a part on the right side some times- so it's not always an all-over solid fringe across the entire forehead look (which drives me crazy sometimes!)

Right now, they've grown out too long and I have to wear them side parted, otherwise I can't see! Hahaha. I need to get them trimmed! I wish I could trim them myself, but I worry I'd just screw them all up.

I just would either comb them straight while wet and let them dry, or if I was in a hurry- I'd lightly blow dry them while brushing with a round barrel brush.

Pegasus Marsters
August 13th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I recently cut heavy bangs... I can tell you how I did it. Here's a pic of my result.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/pegasusmarsters/Photo75.jpg

I actually have cut them shorter now, that was the first bash and they already need another trim. Fast growth is sometimes annoying.

Anyway right, the first thing I did was sectioned off what I wanted to cut in a triangle at my hairline, with the back point aimed towards the crown up the middle of my parting. Clear as mud, right?

Then I put the rest of my hair up and brushed out that bit and cut it off at the level of my chin, then my nose, then gradually (and I mean GRADUALLY) with my scissors pointed UPWARDS at a slight diagonal instead of straight across snipped off tiny tiny bits of hair at a time until I got to a level I was satisfied with.

I now have to straighten them daily, however, as my wavy hairtype makes them go all wonky if I don't.

Curlsgirl
August 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I feel better because I wear bangs very similar to that and I was beginning to think they were out of style! I went on a trip to Chicago last week and I saw literally under 5 people with bangs at eyebrow length! Turns out THEY are all the ones behind the times! HA HA, just kidding of course!

Anyway, my bangs usually require little maintenance, just round brush blow drying and touchups once in a while with an iron. But since I keep them trimmed heat damage doesn't ever show at all so I don't worry about it.

brista
August 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I love Zooey D's hair. I think it's so pretty. Every couple of years, I try to do bangs again, knowing full well the problems they bring, and every couple of years, I wish I hadn't done it. :) They tend to look greasy and piecey too quickly for my taste and make my forehead break out.

(a) Here is a tutorial on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxb-g3lrhzE)with cutting heavy bangs. I really like the way these turned out (and after stumbling across it a couple weeks ago, REALLY wanted to cut some myself!). In some of her other videos, they look a lot cuter.

(b) You have to make sure that your bangs are thick enough; otherwise, they will always look wispy and piecey, which I don't think is what you're after. After washing my hair, I would usually use a paddle-type brush just to get the ends to flip under a teensy tiny bit, then blowdry. Sometimes I would use a round brush but my problem was either the 'curl' would be too tight and look silly or there would be a flat straight section near the hairline then the curl, so it looked like a ledge or something. Sometimes I would squirt 'em with hairspray but not usually. If they got piecey during the day, I would use a small comb to fix them up. They are awful in hot weather, though, and would stick to my forehead.

manderly
August 13th, 2009, 08:39 PM
What about getting clip in bangs?

http://www.hairextensions.com/clip_in_bangs.html?engine=clickshift&cshift_ck=1419670706cs605156375&WT.srch=1

WelshLocks
August 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks everyone.I realize how impulsive it was of me to cut my bangs, but I'm extremely happy with my results.

Here was before: (yeah I look like Ariel from The Little Mermaid I get that a lot)

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL152/9001157/20763659/371865223.jpg

and(drum roll please) now:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL152/9001157/20763659/371865230.jpg

I really like how my eyes pop.I realize that my hair is piecey but that's okay because it's also third day hair so I shower tomorrow morning.Maybe that will help thicken them up a little.I really appreciate the suggestions about how to care for my bangs.
Thanks a ton everyone!

HisForever
August 13th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Well, I dont have blunt bangs, but I do have side swept bangs, and my hair is wavy, so after they air dry, I usually use a flat iron to straighten them out a bit more, and make them look more "tidy" not so messy looking. because when they dry and i dont straighten them, I have a few hairs going here and there, and you know how that goes lol.

HisForever
August 13th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I think you look more sophisticated with your bangs. it looks very pretty on you :)

manderly
August 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM
They look really fantastic on you! It's a hard look to pull off, but it does definitely make your eyes pop :D

rogue_psyche
August 14th, 2009, 02:32 AM
You look lovely both ways but the new bangs do suit you well. You have very pretty eyes. :thud:

Flynn
August 14th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Thanks everyone.I realize how impulsive it was of me to cut my bangs, but I'm extremely happy with my results.

Here was before: (yeah I look like Ariel from The Little Mermaid I get that a lot)

and(drum roll please) now:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL152/9001157/20763659/371865230.jpg

I really like how my eyes pop.I realize that my hair is piecey but that's okay because it's also third day hair so I shower tomorrow morning.Maybe that will help thicken them up a little.I really appreciate the suggestions about how to care for my bangs.
Thanks a ton everyone!

They look better than your reference picture, and they really suit you.

windinherhair
August 21st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Your bangs look great! :) I am a Zooey fan too. Although I got my bangs cut before I realized how much I liked her hair... she has given me inspiration!

I saw the post about trimming bangs. I have had mine for over a year but it wasn't until the past couple months I started trimming them myself. I guess I have been doing it the wrong way though because I noticed the mentioning of cutting "upwards."

Wouldn't that make the bangs look more pointed? I don't want it to look like chunks of my hair is cut out. I like how Zooey's bangs look with the more cut across look, and that is what I have been doing.... taking my bangs all together and cutting straight across. So far this has been working for me, and I only do a little at a time. Is this really wrong?

Amara
August 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
I am growing out my heavy bangs because they never did what I wanted - only what THEY wanted. :D I'm too low maintenance for that kind of effort. Just a warning. Be prepared. :)

Maddy25
August 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
I love the bangs!! They look great on you <3