PDA

View Full Version : Techniques for adding weight to hair

Tangles
August 2nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
This is a thread for people who are prone to "floaty", weightless hair. Hair that often looks unkempt and frizzy and feels like cotton candy to the touch. Summer heat makes this problem much, much worse.

There have been threads on fine/wispy hair in the past, but this problem isn't really a finey problem exclusively. I consider myself a Medium in hair type and thickness, and I doubt I'm the only non-finey struggling with this.

So far, I have noticed that the following things help somewhat:

*Clarifying at least once a week.
*Using non-cones conditioners most of the time.
*Oiling in moderation.
*Avoiding the blow dryer, even on Cool.

I have heard cassia helps add weight to hair and will soon order some.

Any experiences or suggestions welcome! I know there are many board members grappling with this issue.

spidermom
August 2nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Aloe vera gel with a little oil, topped with a little coney serum help to make my hair a little more "substantial", less floaty.

dernhelm
August 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
This applies to me as well. I think that half of my problem is that my hair needs some major length to weigh itself down. But since going co (I'm about a month in) I noticed that my hair is more 'floaty' than usual.

I really like all of your tips:
*no cone conditioner--check
*oiling in moderation--check
*blow-dryer--my hair does do best when totally air-dried, but that would take half the day & is not realistic for me on most days, so I diffuse for only 5-10 minutes after air-drying for an hour or two
*clarify--how often are you clarifying and what are you using?

And the cassia, I haven't read up on that yet. You'll have to let me know how that works for you, if you end up trying it before me.

spidermom
August 2nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
I wanted to add that I think my hair looks beautifully smooth when I blow-dry it on warm/cool. It's a lot more likely to be "floaty" if I air dry it because the curlier bits lift and sort of "float" above the straighter bits. I have crazy, mixed-up hair!

Tangles
August 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
I finally caved in and tried blowdrying on cool the other day. I used the cool air while raking my fingers through my hair for about 5 minutes. Is this the right way to do it? Because it made my hair CRAZY floaty.

Tangles
August 2nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
I really like all of your tips:
*no cone conditioner--check
*oiling in moderation--check
*blow-dryer--my hair does do best when totally air-dried, but that would take half the day & is not realistic for me on most days, so I diffuse for only 5-10 minutes after air-drying for an hour or two
*clarify--how often are you clarifying and what are you using?

Hey there, I don't do CO for that reason (& it makes my hair lank as well). Re. the clarifying, I haven't found a satisfying clarifying shampoo yet, but the best I've found is probably Suave clarifying. Also, Herbal Essences Drama Clean is decent and smells a bit better than the Suave.

I'm super excited to try cassia. I think it's just what my hair is begging for right now.

spidermom
August 2nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
I finally caved in and tried blowdrying on cool the other day. I used the cool air while raking my fingers through my hair for about 5 minutes. Is this the right way to do it? Because it made my hair CRAZY floaty.

I always use my AVG/oil/coney serum mixture or at least leave some of my conditioner in my hair first. Then I stretch my hair out with a comb or paddle brush and move the dryer down the shaft from above (never from underneath). I'm careful never to rake/tug with the comb or brush. If it slides down without resistance, I'll let it, otherwise I put the dryer down to reposition the comb or brush as needed. It takes AN HOUR, so I don't do it very often.

bigdreamer
August 2nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
I have this same problem with my hair becoming sort of "fluffy". What I am finding is that since changing my routine and joining LHC (in June) that my hair has grown quite a bit and that length is helping the fuzzy thing somewhat.

Also for me sulfate-free 'poo and no-cone condish in the shower works very well. Then a careful towel-dry, just a quick gentle squeeze really, then miminal touching while combing it out, and then I still slather on an alarming amount of leave-in condish with no problem.

It's dead summer w/ humidity so I still expect some frizz tho, until all damage is grown out, and the damage is measurable up to my ears still so I have a ways to go.

Tangles
August 2nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
I always use my AVG/oil/coney serum mixture or at least leave some of my conditioner in my hair first. Then I stretch my hair out with a comb or paddle brush and move the dryer down the shaft from above (never from underneath). I'm careful never to rake/tug with the comb or brush. If it slides down without resistance, I'll let it, otherwise I put the dryer down to reposition the comb or brush as needed. It takes AN HOUR, so I don't do it very often.

An HOUR? D'oh, no wonder I didn't get good results.

goodluckcharm
August 2nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
I have this problem too, especially when I CO. My hair isn't very long and I think the longer it gets and the heavier it is the less floaty my hair is. I like spidermom's mixture of things- I know that both oils and cones help to make my hair more "weighty" (opposite of floaty"?).

Thinthondiel
August 2nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
I have coarse hair, and I used to have the same problem, so this is definitely not just a problem for fine-haired people. After I went WO, though, my hair isn't fluffy/frizzy anymore, and my fly-aways have been smoothed down... so WO seems to be perfect for my hair! :)

halo_tightens
August 2nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
My hair is fairly coarse too, but I have also been fighting flyaway hair all my life. The most beneficial thing for it has been my discovery of olive oil since joining this forum. My hair just drinks it up, and it actually weighs my ends down for once. I love it. :)

dearladydisdain
August 2nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
I HAVE to use cones. CO and cone free make my hair obnoxious. It is still super floaty, though. Oil just weighs it down, and I've tried many different kinds. :(

ChloeDharma
August 3rd, 2009, 04:51 AM
Another floaty joining in, mine is worst when it's just finished drying. Mixing oil with aloe gel helps me, as does keeping my hair contained while it dries.
Indian herb washing tends to calm my hair down too.

Anje
August 3rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
I'm a finey, but I just wanted to add that washing in cooler (not cool, though, I'm a wimp) water and doing a final cold rinse makes a big difference in the amount of flyaway hair I have. It doesn't add weight, per se, but it seems to pacify the bits that want to wander off and explore the air around my head.

karli
August 3rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
My hair is also weightless.

I have tried cassia and I use henna herbique ( a mixture of henna and indigo) every second month. The henna makes it stronger and so did the cassia, but the cassia made my hair really dry as well.

I co but I don`t clarify as I haven`t felt the need. Sls which I have used most of my life, seems to be the reason why I never have been able to grow my hair past bsl.

Right now my hair is somewhat without volume since I started to wash my hair with a co that contains glycerin and jojoba. But I will continue for a while, since it makes my hair not heavy, but less weightless.

heatheradair
August 3rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
My hair is also really prone to acting "floaty." I've found that brushing it helps (I use a plastic brush, which I know is a no-no, but it works). I think it helps to incorporate the floaty bits with the non-floaty bits, and maybe it gives it a little bit of static tension to help the floaties and the non-floaties stick to one another. I suppose it also coats the shaft in sebum.

When I used to heat-style my hair and color it with chemical dyes, I only ever brushed it when I was styling it. If I brushed it after that, it would go flat and really greasy. Now, though, with virgin hair, brushing improves its appearance! I'm learning more things about my hair every day.

Katze
August 3rd, 2009, 10:28 AM
Mine gets like this a lot but it is the ends that are worse; I still have such severe taper that my ends are thin and weightless and 'floaty' most of the time. Also, my nape hairs - which are much coarser than crown hair - get 'floaty' if they are dry or need washing.

As Spidermom mentioned gentle blowdrying (I do more like blowDAMPing - mostly air drying but ending with a low heat drying session) does make a difference. I only do this very, very rarely. I also fingercomb, then add a mix of conditioner and hair gel to hold my waves and add some weight. Goth Rosary conditioner is good for this and I like it as a leave-in, especially on my floatiest bits.

Oiling does help but I have to be careful not to overdo it.

As others have mentioned my hair also gets like this if it is dirty. If I go too long withotu washing, or oil too much, or have buildup from gel or just the normal buildup my hair seems to get without sulfate washing, I get floaty hair. A 'shampoo, rinse, repeat' wash with sulfates usually helps.

SMTs or honey/conditioner treatments also help the texture of my hair, as does vinegar rinsing sometimes.

hth!

mira-chan
August 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
My hair is floaty and fluffy unless leaded down with plenty of oil. My hair in the signature picture below is about DD7 and has been oiled from scalp to ends several times. Only then it feels substantial.

It's very coarse and antisocial so hairs sproing against each other and spread out.

I wash my hair in cold water, at least a final cold rinse, and that doesn't help. ACV makes it feel dryer and fluffyer. Aloe makes my hair go crunchy. I'm not going near cones due to sensitivities to them and detergents. I've never blow dried in my life (not about to try either, especially since I don't own a blowdryer) so I can't help there.

So only the drenching it in oil works, but that can back fire sometimes in it being too much. Fenugreek masks can give it some ubstantial weight temprarily too.

I tried WO, but i have dry sebum that doesn't move down, so that didn't work. Henna and cassia didn't add weight either.

Kuchen
August 3rd, 2009, 10:54 AM
I seem to have stopped using shampoo on a regular basis (just ACV rinses and dry shampoo for as long as I can get away with it). That gives me sleek, "massy" hair that doesn't get static.

WavyGirl
August 3rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
I have floatly ends because of taper. The last 5 inches are always doing their own thing. As you say it got a lot worse as the summer got hotter. So I've been doing co washes in between my normal csc washes. I've also upped the frequency - in the winter I wash every 4 days, now I'm doing alternate days or more if I feel it needs it. I've also bought an intensive deep conditioning mask with cones and I'm using that for my all my washes. And last but not least I'm doing a pre-wash olive oil overnight soak. It's all helping a bit, but I think the only way I could really stop it would be to get a blunt APL cut so that it's all one length and there's no way I'm up for that. So I'll be lurking here to see if there are any other good tips to be had.

Charentais
August 3rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
Ugh.

My hair is floatie too. But it's been looking nice lately with the conditioner-only washing.

However, last night in a moment of weakness, I used a sulfate shampoo.

My hair is like floatie straw today. Boo. Hiss.

:(

KatKeRo
August 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
I have hair that floats and actually I like it like this so I don't do anything special. Some days are better than others. My longer lenght helps to keep it down except the ends are always doing their thing.

Nyghtingale
August 3rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Mine used to be really floaty, but has gotten better with heavy conditioning, and less aftercare products like mousse and hairspray.

princess-royal
October 8th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Hi, I'm in urgent need of some help! Basically my hair is damaged from bleaching, dying etc and I'm growing it out now, but it's got thinner and softer and now has practically no weight. Washing my hair, applying mousse, and blow-drying helped add volume, if only for a day. Now my hair goes poker straight, thin and silky after I wash it. I don't have a massive amount of hair either and trying to do anything with it is hopeless. Out of desperation I usually stick it in a messy bun, but even that's hard because my hair is so light and thin. I'm a teenager and don't want to spend loads on various treatments. Can anyone recommend anything? Would cutting out hair washing altogether help the situation? It always seems to be worst after I've washed it.

KwaveT
October 8th, 2011, 09:10 PM
My end to my hair tend to float since I have relatively short, wavy hair. They just want to do their own thing. The only way I get them to lay is to brush the hairs towards the back of my head. That is not way I want to wear my hair. Hopefully as my hair gets longer, the weight of the hair will reduce this problem.

Daydreamer.
July 23rd, 2016, 03:09 AM
I have fluffy, weightless hair, too. It gains more weight as the days go by. Oils help, too.

Tosca
July 23rd, 2016, 03:52 AM
My hair floats, but I recently learned that combing it while wet to help dry it makes to so much worse.

lapushka
July 23rd, 2016, 04:57 AM
I weigh it down with product / moisture, and it helps! There is a fine line between greasy hair and enough product, though.

Kimberly
July 24th, 2016, 11:56 AM
I have hair that floats and actually I like it like this so I don't do anything special. Some days are better than others. My longer lenght helps to keep it down except the ends are always doing their thing.

I like floaty hair, too! Mine will often lift up and move around in the slightest breeze, and if it isn't bound up I can have actual writhing tentacles of floaty spirals as if I were in a superhero comic or an illustrated fairytale. I like floatiness, fairytale ends, and puffy hair others might call frizzy! I also like straight, heavy hair that swings when walking. I just like hair, of different types, doing what it does, regardless of the current fashion.

Anyone reading this trying to control their floaty hair should know that some of us think it is beautiful. :-)

Tosca
July 25th, 2016, 02:02 AM
It may look nice, but it is a pain to keep under control. It just gets everywhere.

Silverbleed
July 25th, 2016, 02:44 AM
I have this floaty hair problem. And I really don't like it. It even flies around indoors when there's no breeze at all. It's a pain to even eat my food :') It just flies around my mouth lmao.
I hope longer hair will solve the issue. But meanwhile I really need to find something so I can work with my current length.

lapushka
July 25th, 2016, 06:25 AM
I tried the Eco Custard by Eco Styler and it turns out this morning that it has about the same effect as ROO on my ends / lengths. I love it for that. It also weighs the lengths down. I have to get used to that all of a sudden, because everything is more elongated (wave pattern).

Tatilove
July 25th, 2016, 10:47 PM
I have coarse kinky curly hair, and sometimes using a heavy moisturizer helps. When I wear my hair straight though, I avoid anything heavy or I'll have no movement.