PDA

View Full Version : Convertible Hair

sowhat
April 13th, 2008, 11:51 AM
In the summer I drive a convertible and was wondering what I could do to prevent tangles after the ride.

My hair is at the bottom of my shoulderblades and is usually pretty manageable. I don't quite know the type(I'll take a picture and compare later) but I have a minor body wave and the hair seems pretty fine.

My current method of avoiding damage is to wear a baseball cap and make a ponytail, and before that I thinly coat my hair with olive oil. I still get some tangles that take a good amount of time to take out without damaging the hair.

Any recommendations?

mew
April 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM
How about wearing a buff instead of a cap...less chance of the thing blowing off :)
Ponytail or even braid sounds pretty reasonable to me.

sowhat
April 13th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I forgot to mention I'm a guy and that the car is a Corvette Convertible. In other words, I'm sometimes on a cruise with some people that are insecure themselves and prefer to not get ripped on for having a braid. The gold chain wearing, chest hair showing, bald head having, overcologned smelling, egotistical aura the public believes as a Corvette stereotype is alive and well in some owners.:lol:

I'm not quite sure what a buff is, it appears to be like a bandana of sorts and I'm going to check that out in person. Looks pretty cool.

Thanks for the comment!

Riot Crrl
April 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm a guy

Well forget my suggestion then, I was going to recommend the classic scarf look. ;)

kate46
April 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM
You can wear a buff like a beanie, perhaps you could try that and tuck your ponytail into the beanie :shrug: if you have a look at www.buffwear.co.uk (http://www.buffwear.co.uk) they have some good video clips showing the different ways to wear a buff.

Hue
April 13th, 2008, 02:46 PM
To expand on that idea, I wonder if your friends might be amenable to the sort of cap used by buff Jamaican guys to keep back their dreadlocks?

---

Edited to add a link: more info here (http://www.mydreadlocks.com/dreadlock-hats.html), and some pictures of one style here (http://www.mydreadlocks.com/dreadlock-hats.html) (in this case, thin cotton yarn and a loose weave would allow air to circulate). My husband has also used dampened t-shirt material as a dewrag (http://picasaweb.google.com/joe.stark/DeathValley3Nov07/photo#5144857043131414914) (not him, BTW, just someone else's picture).

lora410
April 13th, 2008, 02:51 PM
what about a hairglove? You can find them HERE (http://www.hairglovecharmed.com/HairGlove.htm)

Hue
April 13th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I had forgotten about the Hair Gloves -- that's a great idea. Another option is to wrap the length (maybe in black fabric) to bind it up. Looks kind of like a club, so definitely not on the girly side. However, that would take preparation (at least until you are familiar with it), so something like the Hair Glove would be less fuss and attract less attention.

I have also seen longer leather sleeves for hair, and I've seen some guys wrap the length of the ponytail with a crisscross of long thin leather straps, tied at the bottom. Again, it makes it kind of into a club.

sowhat
April 13th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I may try out a hairglove or make something similar. Looks like a nice option.

Thanks!

Shirlpunzel
April 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM
In addition to the hairgloves, have you ever seen any of the fitted bandannas marketed to bikers? From my own experience, I can say one of those and a braid will stand up to almost anything. Btw, I see no problem with a braid, but if you just aren't willing to try one, maybe a ponytail with multiple elastics down the length?

ps - I can't tell you what to do, but personally, I don't like to let other people's insecurities determine my behavior. Do what YOU want to do, and don't worry about them

nowxisxforever
April 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Would they rip on your for wearing your hair in a bun, or perhaps a braided bun? If not, try that!

I'd be wary of just leaving it in a bun, but that's because my hair tends to get tangled worse in braids than anything else, because the ends of each individual hair decides to poke out and tangle together.

Wanita
April 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I second the advice about a Buff. For a guy, I'm thinking wearing the length braided and a Buff in a beanie-type manner might work.

In my experience, if the length is braided it doesn't really get blown around. It's the shorter lengths around the face that blow around (and get in your eyes!).

sowhat
April 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM
In addition to the hairgloves, have you ever seen any of the fitted bandannas marketed to bikers? From my own experience, I can say one of those and a braid will stand up to almost anything. Btw, I see no problem with a braid, but if you just aren't willing to try one, maybe a ponytail with multiple elastics down the length?

ps - I can't tell you what to do, but personally, I don't like to let other people's insecurities determine my behavior. Do what YOU want to do, and don't worry about them

I guess I'll give it a go with the braid, worse comes to worse I'll just undo it.

I suck at braiding, but I know you don't get better not doing it so I guess I'll get some practice in.

sowhat
April 13th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I second the advice about a Buff. For a guy, I'm thinking wearing the length braided and a Buff in a beanie-type manner might work.

In my experience, if the length is braided it doesn't really get blown around. It's the shorter lengths around the face that blow around (and get in your eyes!).

You're dead right about the short hairs getting in my eyes. Going fast and having a hair whip you in the eyeball hurts something fierce!

khyricat
April 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I am a woman, but DH has long hair, and will throw a dark solid cover scarf on or let me braid his hair and put a hat on for convertible rides (1976 eldorado or 29 desoto)

My best friends fiance is a biker and has long hair, he uses a hairglove with a bandana above it when he's on the bike.. so does DH's uncle with long hair..

hope that helps

Amie

Shirlpunzel
April 13th, 2008, 08:58 PM
hope some of the suggestions here have helped you, Sowhat

I'll try to get a pic up sometime soon of what I was talking about.

Oh, and if any of your friends give you a hard time, just tell them women like long hair and you wanna keep yours nice ;) :P

on a more serious note, lots of guys wear braids - it's not a "girly" thing at all, just a way to keep hair out of the way and protected. I see them on bikers all the time. All the longhaired warriors of old had to do something with their hair too. Don't know how accurate it may be(though it def. makes sense), but every picture of vikings I see shows them with braids. For a more modern example, author Richard Marcinko(I hope I remembered how to spell his last name right), who was a navy seal and undercover operative among many other cool things, has hair longer than mid-back and very strongly recommends french braids.

As far as not being great at braiding, don't worry about it, none of us were great to start with. As you already know, practice is the only way to get better. Hang in there, it will come to you :)

dancingbarefoot
April 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM
on a more serious note, lots of guys wear braids - it's not a "girly" thing at all, just a way to keep hair out of the way and protected. I see them on bikers all the time. All the longhaired warriors of old had to do something with their hair too.

Some ancient warriors wore Swabian (Suebian) knots, which you can see on the Osterby bog man (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bog/iron-nf.html). Still looks good after 1000 years in a bog. ;)

Shirlpunzel
April 16th, 2008, 07:41 PM
here are some pics from different angles. (Please ignore the look of my braid - it's not actually that thin, it was just sort of twisted/laying funny at that moment)

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/shirley_ls/me-random/Untitled-1.jpg

granted, I am female, but I don't think it's a girly look in and of itself. The one in the pic is leather, I got it at the flea market(pretty sure it was marketed towards men ;) ). I also have a couple cotton ones I've picked up here and there at convenience stores. I'm sure someone sells them online.

Bucatini
April 16th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Nobody has asked the necessary question-- What year is the vette?

sahasralah
April 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM
An English braid works great for me on the bike, and I'm getting hit with a lot more air. Tangles are pretty minimal and mainly come from taking a full-face helmet on and off several times during a ride. It's also fun to see your shadow on the road next to you and see how far back your braid is flying. ;)

You know you really don't care what they think when you try out two braids, :pirate:

sowhat
April 16th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Nobody has asked the necessary question-- What year is the vette?

1987 Convertible

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e262/triumphgt6/1987%20Corvette%20Convertible/unsorted/atcc.jpg

I bought it about 6 months after high school. It's been fun, a lot more so that my Triumph GT6 was...

This weekend I'm going to try and make one of the leather hairglove things. Doesn't look hard.

Wanita
April 17th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Oh my gawsh - :bigeyes: - so totally awesome!

Now I feel like I drive a Pinto...:o

(but I definitely don't want your insurance premiums!)

khyricat
April 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
hrm.. DH does the ponytail tucked into his shirt when he rides in dads convertible or drives one of ours- either the '76 eldorado or the '29 desoto..

Amie