PDA

View Full Version : The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RadiantNeedle
September 5th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I'm glad this worked for you! :) Just make sure you keep an eye on your length... when I was doing the baking soda washes, my roots were happy with it, but my length got REALLY damaged.:(

Yeah I'll experiment with pre-oiling my length, braiding and holding it out of the way, etc!

EtherealOde
September 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Hello! :wave: I used to use V05's stuff, but they revamped their line and so much isn't available anymore...and I haven't done well with Suave. Any suggestions for cheap stuff? Is there a current thread for this?

I use the 365 brand from Whole Foods, and love it. A big 32 ounce bottle is only $4.99. I get the unscented, but they have several fragrance options. It isn't coney, so I don't have to worry about clarifying really. For extra conditioning, I love Aubrey organics Honeysuckle Rose. It is extremely thick and moisturizing, and while I am sure I could use it for CO'ing my hair I generally use it just on the ends for the extra softness and for a deep conditioning treatment. It is quite a bit more expensive than the 365 brand though, but if price isn't a factor you might want to try a few of their conditioners other than HR to see which might be the best for you.

I don't need 15 mins, I just make sure I massage the condish in really really well, leave it for 5 min and it's clean. Everyone is different I guess.
I am the same way, it doesn't seem to need a long 'soak' time for my hair to get completely clean. Even with a fairly heavy oiling, the longest it takes is 5-10 mins. I do a deep conditioning heat cap treatment every now and then, but not because I need it to get my hair clean.

kabelaced
September 8th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Hi, everybody! Just wanted to check in after being away for a few weeks. I have been doing CO for about a month now.

I use White Rain coconut condish as my "cleaner," and for my second conditioner I have tried a few options: my Aubrey Organics White Camellia condish, remnants of my Giovanni Smooth As Silk condish, and Kinky-Curly's Knot Today condish (as recommended by a lovely member from here :love:). Then, I rinse the second wash out halfway or so, and rinse the rest of the way with a diluted ACV wash. Then I put half Kinky-Curly leave in, half coconut oil in there for some shine.

I wash two days a week; Wednesdays/Thursdays and Sundays.

It's been going pretty well. My dandruff problems haven't really gone away, though, which really bother me. I hate wearing dark shirts, because half way through the day I'll notice all of the little flakes on my shoulders, and it's so embarrassing. From CO, I've noticed my hair has been a lot softer, which is nice. I don't remember what regular sulfate shampoos and coney conditioners have made my hair feel like in the past, so I can't compare too much.

I have noticed more missing hairs lately, but I can't tell if it's CO related or if it's because my hair is getting longer, so I notice the hairs more now. As my hair gets longer, the first CO wash is becoming more difficult, so I may not stick with this routine forever. However, it's nice to know that I personally was able to do it for a while, and it shows me how products can be re-purposed for things they weren't originally designed for. Also, I would definitely buy Kinky-Curly again, because that stuff smells like HEAVEN. :)

SapphiraSilver
September 8th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Lately I have been adding a little honey to my conditioner and mixing it together, then applying. Helps to make my damaged utterly dry hair a little softer.

AspenSong
September 8th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I'm a newbie here, but I have a Q - I've been doing the CO washing for about a month and a half now. I'm pretty happy with it overall. But I am wondering something....

While I've been staying away from my shampoo, I have mixed a bit of conditioner and water with some baking soda, put it on and did a ACV rinse. Afterwards, my hair feels AWESOME. Utterly tangle free, soft-soft-SOFT!! Which is great because after a couple weeks of CO washing, it seems to me like my hair starts to get more tangly as time goes by. ESPECIALLY the hair at the nape of my neck. All those hairs, shorter than my length from some breakage, etc....just start to feel...crunchy. It reminds me almost of when I used to color my hair and you get that damaged feel. However after the ACV rinse and some conditioner (no cones) and a bit of jojoba oil as usual, it feels like different hair.

My Q is - is what is causing that feel on my hair, probably build up from the Conditioner? I've been trying to be as utterly gentle with my hair and didn't want to overdo the baking soda and ACV "washes", but should I maybe try to do them more often?

SapphiraSilver
September 9th, 2010, 03:36 AM
I am so frustrated at all these hairdressers! I don't want to vent but I have to somewhere. My fine hair is terribly thinning at the front (bangs area) and I went in to ask for a conditioner that helps to stimulate the scalp and all of them immediately suggested shampoos and I told them i don't need a shampoo because i don't shampoo much all and simply just want a conditioner.

I got so much abuse for this, in every store I asked! "What!?? No no no no!! that is wrong! you must always, always shampoo! never ever use conditioner without shampoo! it is very very bad for your hair if you don't shampoo! no wonder your hair is in bad shape!"

I told them I clean with honey, conditioner, herbal tea and all kinds of natural stuff like chamomile, vinegar, and I clarify now and then too and the lady just kept on shaking her head each time i said something with a "No way, honey, and all these things completely damage your hair! you are doing it completely wrong! you must shampoo!"

And every store I went it was the same, they just kept on shoving these shampoo's and "sets" for thinning hair in my face and I kept needing to repeat that I am only looking for a conditioner, just one, to simply stimulate my scalp, just one thing, and they just didn't want to hear of it and told me that nothing will work if you don't use shampoo with it, and I just don't want to use shampoo because it dries my hair out and makes it unmanageable, but they didn't listen and I ended up coming home with nothing.

I feel frustrated, like I am some kind of a freak and don't know if they are wrong or what I should think, is it really that horrible to wash hair with conditioner? Am I really bad?

Theobroma
September 9th, 2010, 04:24 AM
SapphiraSilver, don't let them get you down! They are either trying to sell product -- perfectly understandable since they make their living by it -- or else they're simply ignorant. (I haven't met anyone outside of LHC who's even heard of CO washing!) In the former case, you MIGHT be able to broaden their horizons if they're willing to learn something new, but in the latter case it's probably a foregone conclusion that they're going to stick to their story that you have to buy a whole raft of products to help your hair and nothing you say will cut much ice with them.

To make it easier and avoid tiresome arguments I'd suggest you just tell them you still have plenty of shampoo (I do this; I have half a bottle of sulphate shampoo in my bathroom that I'm not planning to use up any time soon, but it's a great alibi), and just ask for the kind of conditioner you want. A caffeine conditioner that's cone-free might help in your case?

RadiantNeedle
September 9th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Meh. Had another big shed.
Clarified with baking soda, held my length out of the way so it did get too dried out.
Let Tresseme Naturals Cone Free conditioner soak on my head and length for about half an hour. Rinsed, but skipped my ACV rinse.
I'm wondering if that's the culprit! I'm finding ACV is making my hair a lot easier to de-tangle.

Now I'm all coated in coconut oil and my roots are slathered with daktarin. And a lot of my hair, too, sadly. Still bad at application!

SapphiraSilver
September 9th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I'd suggest you just tell them you still have plenty of shampoo (I do this; I have half a bottle of sulphate shampoo in my bathroom that I'm not planning to use up any time soon, but it's a great alibi), and just ask for the kind of conditioner you want. A caffeine conditioner that's cone-free might help in your case?

They still insist that the products only work if they are being used all together. Sounds like they are just trying to sell their products.

I find it weird that they would rather I leave the store without purchasing anything, then at least letting me buy one bottle of conditioner.

Caffeine??

kabelaced
September 9th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I got it at Walmart, but I'm sure you could get it at Target, Walgreens, or CVS. It comes in a slightly transparent white bottle. It was 5.60 something for a large 25 oz bottle. They also have a "moisturizing" version with aloe and avocado oil. I liked both of the scents, neither one of them was too strong, but I got the "volumizing" one because I figured the Garnier TN was moisturizing enough. :)

I have been thinking of messing with my conditioners (but I love my leave-in!)

Thank you for the tip about Tressemme Naturals! I will definitely check this out for the first condish, as White Rain's scent is beginning to bother me. I've been thinking about Trader Joe's Nourish Spa for the second wash, or the Garnier...(but the Garnier I've tried sniffing once, and it smelled so bad! Argh.)

GlassButrFly
September 9th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I have been thinking of messing with my conditioners (but I love my leave-in!)

Thank you for the tip about Tressemme Naturals! I will definitely check this out for the first condish, as White Rain's scent is beginning to bother me. I've been thinking about Trader Joe's Nourish Spa for the second wash, or the Garnier...(but the Garnier I've tried sniffing once, and it smelled so bad! Argh.)

No problem! :) I was having trouble finding a drugstore conditioner that didn't have an overpowering scent (I couldn't stand any of the White Rain scents, and V05 was only slightly better. I had the best luck with Suave) but the Tresemme Naturals was just right. I wasn't crazy about the Garnier Triple Nutrition scent at first, it did seem a little strong but it didn't give me a headache or anything. I don't mind the scent now, so I guess I've gotten used to it.

twilight_faerie
September 9th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Sorry, CO, but I think you and I need to break up. It's not you, it's me.

I'm sad to have to stop COing, since it made the length of my hair so nice, because it's so good for dry hair (my hair is super dry)...but it's making me lose all my hair. Last time I COed (with White Rain), my hair fell out in huge globs as I combed my hair in the shower with the conditioner in my hair. Even my DBF was worried I was going bald. I think it must be the vigorous massaging I need to do to get the conditioner to clean my scalp. It must be loosening my hair up or something. When I used S&C today, I lost hardly any hair at all. So it must be the CO that's doing it. :(

I hope my lost hair grows back quickly. When I did a braid after my big CO shed, it was noticeably thinner. I'm afraid to measure my ponytail circumference to see just how much thickness I lost :undecided

EtherealOde
September 9th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I am so frustrated at all these hairdressers! I don't want to vent but I have to somewhere. My fine hair is terribly thinning at the front (bangs area) and I went in to ask for a conditioner that helps to stimulate the scalp and all of them immediately suggested shampoos and I told them i don't need a shampoo because i don't shampoo much all and simply just want a conditioner.

And every store I went it was the same, they just kept on shoving these shampoo's and "sets" for thinning hair in my face and I kept needing to repeat that I am only looking for a conditioner, just one, to simply stimulate my scalp, just one thing, and they just didn't want to hear of it and told me that nothing will work if you don't use shampoo with it, and I just don't want to use shampoo because it dries my hair out and makes it unmanageable, but they didn't listen and I ended up coming home with nothing.
I wonder if maybe trying Mega-Tek might help you? I ordered some online, after being unable to find it anywhere locally. It may or may not help, but it might be worth a try anyway.

I ordered it for my front hairline mainly, as the hair is thinner there. But I also ordered it to help my dog. After getting a bad scrape on his leg, the hair doesn't grow there well, so I am hoping this will help return his leg's appearance to normal.

cubedcoley
September 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Twilight Faerie, you may be onto something breaking up with CO, however, if you are really losing that much hair in one go, I suspect there may be another issue at play. There are LOTS of reasons for large amounts of hair loss that are medical in nature and have nothing to do with the types of products you are using. Perhaps a visit with your primary care provider or doctor just to be sure you are okay.....? :shrug:

twilight_faerie
September 9th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Twilight Faerie, you may be onto something breaking up with CO, however, if you are really losing that much hair in one go, I suspect there may be another issue at play. There are LOTS of reasons for large amounts of hair loss that are medical in nature and have nothing to do with the types of products you are using. Perhaps a visit with your primary care provider or doctor just to be sure you are okay.....? :shrug:

You're absolutely right about that; at first I thought the crazy hair loss might be because of all the stress I've been under lately, but if that was the case, why would I stop losing so much hair when I revert to S&C? I'm definitely gonna keep on eye on how much hair I'm losing while S&Cing, and if I start losing just as much hair as I did when I COed, then I'll know it wasn't CO that was causing the hair loss.

triumphator!
September 9th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hi everyone :) another CO convert here-- I've been doing it for about two weeks now, I think? I'm very pleased with the results!

sunrain
September 9th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I've actually been COing for a while now, with a WO experiment in the middle. CO is easier for me to deal with, but my scalp definitely flakes and itches when I'm using conditioner and/or shampoo. It didn't flake at all with WO. I'll have to experiment more to find a way to take care of the dandruff when it decides to pop up, but it could be that my scalp is still adjusting after my try at WO.

Theobroma
September 10th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Caffeine??

Yes, caffeine shampoos and matching conditioners are marketed as preventing (or reducing, or whatever) age-related hair loss in both men and women. No idea how well it actually works, but I used a caffeine shampoo for several months before going CO and my use of that shampoo coincided with a rather nice growth spurt. (Disclaimer: I have no idea whether it actually CAUSED the growth spurt, but I've started using a caffeine conditioner as my "wash" condish in the hope of getting some faster growth...)

Maddy25
September 10th, 2010, 06:31 AM
There is something I've been wondering about CO.

I know you arnt supposed to wash your hair too much...but does just getting it wet and putting conditioner in it count as "washing"? I hope you know what I mean :)

I only shampoo my hair maybe once a week, but I like to CO about every 3 days.

RadiantNeedle
September 10th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Just like you need to rinse shampoo, you have to rinse out conditioner if you're using it to cleanse. This way you're washing OFF the oil and dirt. If you just stick conditioner in and go on your way, that's not, imo, washing. Its using it as a leave-in.
Even with dry-wash products, you still brush or rub them off.

Artsy
September 10th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Some believe that massaging burdock oil aids with hair loss. As far as hair conditioners go, there are 2 hair masks that Kerstase makes, one is packed with all kinds of vitamins for thinning hair, and another one for aging. They are pricey
________
Yamaha Xt600 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XT600)

mneh
September 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hello fellow Co-Washers, I'm looking for a little bit of advice :)

I have found 3 sellers on eBay selling Organic/Natural Conditioner Bases (in litre sizes, at reasonable prices and with reasonable or free shipping). I am trying to decide which one to buy, as they are each different. I was hoping I could get some advice or opinions as to which one would best suited to co-washing.

I must mention that I have wurly hair, that is thick and coarse, a very oily scalp (that 6 months of co-washing has not fixed :() and quite dry, difficult canopy hair. Currently, after going through a bit of a frenzy and testing lots of Organic/Natural brands, I use Aubrey Organics conditioners, and, while my length loves them, they're too rich and moisturising for my scalp. To get around this problem, I either add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to 3 teaspoons of a light AO conditioner for scalp washing (while restricting a heavier AO conditioner to my mid-lengths/ends), or I do the occasional shampoo with an Anita Grant shampoo bar and use a heavier AO conditioner on my mid-lengths/ends.

I really don't want to use baking soda or any type of shampoo, if I can avoid it, so my reason for thinking about buying one of these conditioner bases is that I thought my oily scalp might tolerate them better than the AO products i.e. one of these conditioners might not be as 'rich' as an AO conditioner, and would, therefore, clean my oily scalp more effectively or leave it less oily after co-washing. Also, I know that CO is often best done by using lots of inexpensive conditioner; I have to stick to organic or natural products for allergy reasons, and so these conditioner bases seemed like they fitted both sets of criteria. I just can't bring myself to fling palmfuls of AO conditioner at my scalp because they are towards the high end of my budget :blushing:

So, here are the details of the three conditioner bases - I would love to hear what you all think :D

A. Organic conditioner Base (1Ltr):
Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Betaine, Coco-Glucoside, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Simmondsia, Chinensis (Jojoba Seed Oil*, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice Powder*, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Extract, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid

* Certified Organically Grown Ingredient

B. 1 litre SLS & Paraben Free Conditioner Base Plain:
Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol. Betaine, Coco-Glucoside, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice Powder*, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Extract, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid

*Certified Organically Grown Ingredient

C. 1 Litre ORGANIC HAIR CONDITIONER BASE SLS Fragrance Free:
Aqua, Cetearyl alcohol, Olea europaea, Cetrimonium chloride, Helianthus annuus seed oil, Triticum vulgare oil, Aloe barbadensis powder, Camelia sinensis extract, Faex (natural B-vitamins)

Thanks muchly, in advance :cheese:

Henrietta
September 10th, 2010, 02:25 PM

I have found 3 sellers on eBay selling Organic/Natural Conditioner Bases (in litre sizes, at reasonable prices and with reasonable or free shipping). I am trying to decide which one to buy, as they are each different. I was hoping I could get some advice or opinions as to which one would best suited to co-washing.

I must mention that I have wurly hair, that is thick and coarse, a very oily scalp (that 6 months of co-washing has not fixed :() and quite dry, difficult canopy hair. Currently, after going through a bit of a frenzy and testing lots of Organic/Natural brands, I use Aubrey Organics conditioners, and, while my length loves them, they're too rich and moisturising for my scalp. To get around this problem, I either add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to 3 teaspoons of a light AO conditioner for scalp washing (while restricting a heavier AO conditioner to my mid-lengths/ends), or I do the occasional shampoo with an Anita Grant shampoo bar and use a heavier AO conditioner on my mid-lengths/ends.

I really don't want to use baking soda or any type of shampoo, if I can avoid it, so my reason for thinking about buying one of these conditioner bases is that I thought my oily scalp might tolerate them better than the AO products i.e. one of these conditioners might not be as 'rich' as an AO conditioner, and would, therefore, clean my oily scalp more effectively or leave it less oily after co-washing. Also, I know that CO is often best done by using lots of inexpensive conditioner; I have to stick to organic or natural products for allergy reasons, and so these conditioner bases seemed like they fitted both sets of criteria. I just can't bring myself to fling palmfuls of AO conditioner at my scalp because they are towards the high end of my budget :blushing:

So, here are the details of the three conditioner bases - I would love to hear what you all think :D

Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Betaine, Coco-Glucoside, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Simmondsia, Chinensis (Jojoba Seed Oil*, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice Powder*, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Extract, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid* Certified Organically Grown Ingredient

B. 1 litre SLS & Paraben Free Conditioner Base Plain:
Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol. Betaine, Coco-Glucoside, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice Powder*, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Extract, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid*Certified Organically Grown Ingredient

C. 1 Litre ORGANIC HAIR CONDITIONER BASE SLS Fragrance Free:
Aqua, Cetearyl alcohol, Olea europaea, Cetrimonium chloride, Helianthus annuus seed oil, Triticum vulgare oil, Aloe barbadensis powder, Camelia sinensis extract, Faex (natural B-vitamins)

Thanks muchly, in advance :cheese:

My jaw dropped. I have never seen a conditioner full of extracts like these ones! They seem awesome;)

But for CO I'd pick the last one. The less "heavy" things, the better. When I was COing I was using a condish with the shorter ingredients list I could find. It worked. I had really clean hair and it wasn't getting oily any faster;)

mneh
September 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
My jaw dropped. I have never seen a conditioner full of extracts like these ones! They seem awesome;)

But for CO I'd pick the last one. The less "heavy" things, the better. When I was COing I was using a condish with the shorter ingredients list I could find. It worked. I had really clean hair and it wasn't getting oily any faster;)

I know what you mean about there being lots of extracts in the first two conditioners, I've noticed it seems to be quite common to have lots of plant extracts in organic body/hair products and sometimes I wonder whether they are all necessary in order to produce results that are comparable to synthetic products or if it's all just window dressing to impress the customer ;)

As to which conditioner might be best for co-washing, I think your reasoning makes sense, dziękuję :)

mneh
September 10th, 2010, 06:53 PM

I have found 3 sellers on eBay selling Organic/Natural Conditioner Bases...So, here are the details of the three conditioner bases - I would love to hear what you all think :D

A. Organic conditioner Base (1Ltr)

B. 1 litre SLS & Paraben Free Conditioner Base Plain

C. 1 Litre ORGANIC HAIR CONDITIONER BASE SLS Fragrance Free

Oh, I'm such a twit. I've only just realised that choices A & B have identical ingredients. That's so strange, because I read the ingredient lists for both multiple times before posting here and I never noticed the similarity. [blushes] Oops. I think I was confused by the length of the ingredient lists :s

So this makes the choice a bit easier in that it's between two products and not three.

He is
September 11th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I think I might use my chore money I have saved in my invisinble bank account( I don't take the money until I want to spend it) to buy a lot of Vo5 at the dollar store. I wanna start CO tommorrow which will go hand in hand with my castor oil treatments if I buy it.

DuckyDot
September 11th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Shampoo'ed on 15th day.

Next goal is 17 days no Shampooo.

morecowbell
September 11th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Shampoo'ed on 15th day.

Next goal is 17 days no Shampooo.

:cheese: Good for you!

I'm working on stretching washes, too... any tips? :)
TIA

In CO news, I've stopped using a coney condish on my length for awhile to see how it feels, and so far it's going well! I haven't had to clarify in a month!:D

Artsy
September 11th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Betaine, Coco-Glucoside, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Simmondsia, Chinensis (Jojoba Seed Oil*, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice Powder*, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Extract, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid* Certified Organically Grown Ingredient

I wonder what are all of these citrus extracts do to hair. If that would be oil, that probably be drying. May be this is for volumizing or something like that. Does anyone know? I think I've read somewhere that lemon oil is used to balance oily hair when massaged to roots
________
CHEAP EASY VAPE VAPORIZER (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/easy-vape)

mneh
September 11th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I wonder what are all of these citrus extracts do to hair. If that would be oil, that probably be drying. May be this is for volumizing or something like that. Does anyone know? I think I've read somewhere that lemon oil is used to balance oily hair when massaged to roots

I noticed the preponderance of citrus extracts too and wondered about that. Now that I think about it, I know that I've seen other organic products for dry hair that have citrus mentioned as a main ingredient. However, these base conditioners that I'm considering are not sold as specific for any particular hair type.

I had never heard of lemon oil massage to balance oil hair, I'll do some research on that - I'd love to be able to make my scalp less oily :)

SapphiraSilver
September 12th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I've always thought citrus was rather drying for dry hair. So I don't know why they put it in products for dry hair. Maybe it balances the Ph.

Henrietta
September 12th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I've always thought citrus was rather drying for dry hair. So I don't know why they put it in products for dry hair. Maybe it balances the Ph.

I think small amount of citrus cannot dry the hair but for sure it makes it shiny. Maybe that's why? PH balancing theory also sounds reasonably.

RadiantNeedle
September 14th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I'm liking how the Aldi 5Star conditioner is making my hair feel, and the coconut oil is helping me keep everything soft and lovely.
But...
I don't like the smell of the conditioner and its possibly making me a bit headachey.
SO! What EO's should I put in it to make it more yummy?

liagibba
September 15th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I just ran out of my Suave Coconut conditioner, and I'll be starting the Green Apple Flavor tomorrow. I'm still adding honey for extra softness and using a very small amount of coconut oil on damp hair before blow-drying. I love what this is doing for my locks! My plan is to not have a hair cut until April 2011, that would make it a full year. I've done some S&D recently, so hopefully that will be enough.

allnaturalboy
September 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
What do you think you could add to a CO wash conditioner to make it more cleansing?
Has anyone had any success with adding EOs like orange, rosemary, or peppermint, etc. to make your CO wash condish cleanse better? Or maybe impart more shine? Softer hair?

Just curious. I bought a few EOs the other day and I'm going to start experimenting this weekend.

Artsy
September 15th, 2010, 12:46 PM
What do you think you could add to a CO wash conditioner to make it more cleansing?
Has anyone had any success with adding EOs like orange, rosemary, or peppermint, etc. to make your CO wash condish cleanse better? Or maybe impart more shine? Softer hair?

Just curious. I bought a few EOs the other day and I'm going to start experimenting this weekend.

peppermint is a stimulating oil, it stings a little and is supposed to help hair grow.
I personally find all of the essential oils to be drying to my hair:( the one I still keep using is rosehip oil because it smells so nice. I don't mix it into condish, apply afterward and it blocks the scent of condish. I stopped buying conditioners with the scent I don't like, can't use them at all:(
Is anyone the same way, or you guys figured out how to 'fix' the scent?
________
Tracer (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mercury_Tracer)

Henrietta
September 16th, 2010, 05:06 AM
peppermint is a stimulating oil, it stings a little and is supposed to help hair grow.
I personally find all of the essential oils to be drying to my hair:( the one I still keep using is rosehip oil because it smells so nice. I don't mix it into condish, apply afterward and it blocks the scent of condish. I stopped buying conditioners with the scent I don't like, can't use them at all:(
Is anyone the same way, or you guys figured out how to 'fix' the scent?

I didn't find any way to get rid of the scent I don't like so I stopped buying products with a smell that doesn't suit me too;) We deserve little pleasures. I am addicted to Garnier Avocado Oil and Shea butter shampoo and condish smell;)

Carolyn
September 16th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I didn't find any way to get rid of the scent I don't like so I stopped buying products with a smell that doesn't suit me too;) We deserve little pleasures. I am addicted to Garnier Avocado Oil and Shea butter shampoo and condish smell;)I'm like you. If I don't like the scent a product leaves in my hair I just can't deal with it. I try to use up the offending product but I never buy it again.

Henrietta
September 16th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I'm like you. If I don't like the scent a product leaves in my hair I just can't deal with it. I try to use up the offending product but I never buy it again.

I always try to use it up too. As quick as possible, which means I use a lot of it:D
Sometimes shop-assistants are mad when people smell the products before buying them. I don't know why, to be honest. I am just opening a conditioner and smelling it. The amount stays the same! It's a little like buying a bottle of perfumes without checking the smell.

Lunami
September 16th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Desert Essence coconut conditioner has great ingredients and i really want to buy it for that but i dislike coconut scent, and I can't find a similar conditioner :( I would really like to find a nice one with nettles and the only other one i know is Nirvana cherry bark which for me is not as exciting and it's much more expensive.

allnaturalboy
September 19th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Desert Essence coconut conditioner has great ingredients and i really want to buy it for that but i dislike coconut scent, and I can't find a similar conditioner :( I would really like to find a nice one with nettles and the only other one i know is Nirvana cherry bark which for me is not as exciting and it's much more expensive.

Why don't you try buying a nettle essential oil? And just mixing it into your CO wash conditioner? Also, mixing EO's into my conditioner (at least for me) make it more cleansing. I'm really liking the tingling sensation I get from my tea tree and peppermint EO condish mixes.

Angel_Abby
September 22nd, 2010, 09:04 AM
Hi all!

I am in my third week of CO'ing. I cheat a little and do a CWC on Saturday nights with Suave clarifying (I am using a styling gel a couple of times a week, and want to make sure I get ALL of it out!).

I am finding my hair likes it better if I CO with a lighter conditioner, let it stand for 15 to 20 minutes (I use a big clip to secure it) and then wring it out and add Coconut Suave(its thicker) and lather it up like shampoo followed by LOTS of rinsing.

I am wondering if leaving it on longer would be even better... but about 20 minutes is about all I can stand in the shower-- do those of you that let it sit longer go do other things?

Carolyn
September 22nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
Hi all!

I am in my third week of CO'ing. I cheat a little and do a CWC on Saturday nights with Suave clarifying (I am using a styling gel a couple of times a week, and want to make sure I get ALL of it out!).

I am finding my hair likes it better if I CO with a lighter conditioner, let it stand for 15 to 20 minutes (I use a big clip to secure it) and then wring it out and add Coconut Suave(its thicker) and lather it up like shampoo followed by LOTS of rinsing.

I am wondering if leaving it on longer would be even better... but about 20 minutes is about all I can stand in the shower-- do those of you that let it sit longer go do other things?It's not cheating to switch your routine around and do another type of wash. Many of us do that. Do what your hair needs.

I put my CO conditioner on dry hair and cover with a plastic cap and turbie towel. No drips or mess. I am usually sitting at my computer surfing LHC while my hair soaks in the conditioner. It's easy once you get the hang of it.

mneh
September 26th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Don't know if this info will be of use to anyone or not, but I chose an inexpensive, organic, conditioner base from one of the eBay options I'd been considering (mentioned higher up the thread). In the end, I chose the conditioner that contained coco-glucoside. I researched the ingredients and found that coco-glucoside is a mild detergent made by fermentation of corn sugar and coconut. As I've been suffering from oily scalp when co-washing, I decided this ingredient might make co-washing more cleansing for me.

I've tried the conditioner (ordered a 250ml bottle as a tester) and I really like it, so far. It gets my hair much cleaner than the other organic or natural conditioners I've tried, it's almost comparable to the cleansing effect of a shampoo bar. My hair is glossy, forms waves/wurls well, and has low frizz.

However, I've noticed that I definitely shed more hair when co-washing (no idea why this would be) and co-washing gives me an itchy scalp (although this new conditioner doesn't irritate my scalp as much as others have).

I think I'll keep using this product for a while and, if it continues to suit me, I will invest in purchasing the litre size. As well as being more effective for cleaning my oily scalp, I think it will be much better value for money than the other natural conditioners I've tried for co-washing: they tend to be on the expensive side. I will still stick with AOHR for my mid-lengths and ends, though; my older, more damaged hair needs something with a bit more conditioning-ooomph.

I'm considering adding some tea tree oil and/or neem to the conditioner to combat the itchies I sometimes get from co-washing, it is after all what this particular conditioner is intended for - customising with essential oils - so I may as well attempt it.

So, all in all, I'm recommending this as a good value for money, co-washing conditioner for those who buy from eBay UK: Organic Conditioner Base (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Organic-Conditioner-Base-1-Litre-Soil-Association-Cert-/230424177213?pt=UK_Carfts_Candle_SoapMaking_EH&hash=item35a659ea3d#ht_1336wt_913)

JuneBride
September 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I coconut oil'd for 2 hours today and then CO'd both for the first time...my hair is still a little "greasy" - did I do something wrong? Maybe I should have shampooed out the oil and started CO'ing tomorrow?

Carolyn
September 26th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I coconut oil'd for 2 hours today and then CO'd both for the first time...my hair is still a little "greasy" - did I do something wrong? Maybe I should have shampooed out the oil and started CO'ing tomorrow?What kind of conditioner did you use and how long did you leave it in? Check this thread for suggestions.

Henrietta
September 27th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I coconut oil'd for 2 hours today and then CO'd both for the first time...my hair is still a little "greasy" - did I do something wrong? Maybe I should have shampooed out the oil and started CO'ing tomorrow?

It doesn't have to be about that. On the contrary, many people find it easier to remove oil with a conditioner than with shampoo. Maybe you should massage it better. Conditioner has some chemical cleaning abilities but sometimes we have to help it physically. When I was lazy once and just put the conditioner on my hair without massaging it in, I had an oil residue on my length. Or maybe just let it sit longer on your hair. Or rinse it better. Maybe it's not oil but a conditioner residue?

Angel_Abby
September 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Got my flexi-8's in (got a red one with a dangly thing and the celtic cross!) and wore them both this week! LOVE them!

Moving on: I am massaging more after wringing the old conditioner out and putting a fresh handful on and getting much better results. Rinsing for two or three minutes is key. Length of time for letting it 'sit' isn't affecting my results. Its the same if I let it set for ten minutes or an hour. So I am just doing whatever is convienent at the time.

Finding myself using a cone-y conditioner for the length a couple of times a week. Particularly if I am wearing my hair down with some product in it. Makes it curlier.

LOVING this new 'gentle' hair care. Wish I had done it years ago. On a side note, my SIL and other family members think I have lost my mind! :rolleyes: No shampoo?? No hairdryer?? How do you LIVE?

Carolyn
September 29th, 2010, 03:21 PM
LOVING this new 'gentle' hair care. Wish I had done it years ago. On a side note, my SIL and other family members think I have lost my mind! :rolleyes: No shampoo?? No hairdryer?? How do you LIVE?Many of us have found it's best not to discuss our hair routines with family and friends. One hint I have is to use the word "wash" instead of "shampoo". Shrug and say as little as possible and never bring up the subject yourself.

sunrain
September 29th, 2010, 04:33 PM
@ trdegray I've found it really effective to work the conditioner into my length rather than just applying, fingercomb or just combing to distribute evenly, and letting it sit. My hair is coarse, though, so I don't know if this will result in more tangles for you. I basically oil my length and work condish into my hair using the same method/technique. Go watch habioku's youtube videos on post (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJdJ0RdiJv4&feature=channel) and pre wash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXSF-_gIqxc&feature=channel) oil treatments. Again, I apply oil and condish in the same manner. The main difference between my method and her's is that I stand straighter while I'm applying stuff and pull my hair over one shoulder, then the other.

Well, in reality, I only started doing this 2 days ago. It's made a big difference in manageability and shininess! I've been able to wear my hair down without getting major tangles! I don't have a BBB, so I just run my hands over my ends a number of times when oiling..

Arthiel
September 29th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Many of us have found it's best not to discuss our hair routines with family and friends. One hint I have is to use the word "wash" instead of "shampoo". Shrug and say as little as possible and never bring up the subject yourself.

Carolyn, I will have to do that from now on. My family acted like I had said I was going to grow a second head when I told them that I had started COing. :rolleyes:Right after I finished CO for the first time I asked my mom if my hair looked clean and she said it looked great, but when I told her that I had COed she changed her oppinion, saying that it was the lighting. They think oiling hair is crazy too.:?
But I've been COing for a week now and have see great results! :cheese:I'm using Vo5, and it smells so good. I think I'm going to try this citrus conditioner I got from Trader Joe's next.

Annalouise
September 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Thats funny.:D

....I asked my mom if my hair looked clean and she said it looked great, but when I told her that I had COed she changed her oppinion, saying that it was the lighting. ...

Does anyone know of a deep conditioner that is fragrance free? I cannot find one. I was thinking of just mixing olive oil with my fragrance free conditioner to make a deep conditioner. I use the whole foods frag free conditioner for CO and I love it. :) I reccomend it for people with sensitivites to fragrance. It doesn't make my scalp itch either.

Quahatundightu
October 7th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Ok I am just embarking on CO.. I don't really know if it is for me, the little I have tried in the past never seemed to work. But my goal is curlier and more moisturised hair!

My hair without CO:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2713&pictureid=84158

Here is my hair after 2 CO washes:
http://i.imgur.com/yAb3Y.jpg

Also I have a question: I think maybe my conditioner is a bit thick and build-uppy (I need to find a more clarifying one I guess) so what should I do to clarify my hair? ACV rinse?

alwayssmiling
October 7th, 2010, 09:45 AM
The problem I have found with COing is that my hair looks great to start with but quicky goes lank. After experimenting with lots of different conditioners I have found that conditioners that are marketed for greasy hair work wonders because they are so light. I am using Boots own brand Mint and Rosemary conditioner (89p) and makes my hair lovely and clean looking and I don't need to COwash for another couple of days (same as when I use shampoo).

This is a UK brand but I guess if you can find a conditioner that is mainly for greasy hair it could help with people struggling with lankness. HTH

Lunami
October 7th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Why don't you try buying a nettle essential oil? And just mixing it into your CO wash conditioner? Also, mixing EO's into my conditioner (at least for me) make it more cleansing. I'm really liking the tingling sensation I get from my tea tree and peppermint EO condish mixes.

I never knew there were nettle oil! I'll have to search for that :) Thanks!

Nirvana cherry bark almond conditioner also contains nettles but it seems some stores have sold out on it? Does anyone know if they are taking it off the market?

sunrain
October 7th, 2010, 12:13 PM
@ Quahatundightu Such pretty curls and color! ACV definitely works, and is recommended for dark hair. Anything acidic will work, really. White vinegar is fine, and recommended for light hair, but it would probably work just as well. Lemon juice is an option, but there's a possibility that it could lighten your hair. Those are some of the more regularly used materials for clarifying on LHC. Just fiddle around with the proportions to water until whatever rinse you use works the best for your hair. :)

XcaliburGirl
October 11th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hi All!

After a brief love affair with soap, I'm going to try CO again.

A few problems I had last time:

Didn't care for the smell of Suave Naturals (all of the scents had a background scent I didn't like)
Conditioner left my hair a little limp
Itching
Dandruff

Some things I'm going to try differently:
VO5 clarifying conditioner (different scent and a little lighter, I hope)
Stretching washes (I think everyday CO was over-conditioning)
Using dandruff shampoo as needed, but try to stretch uses out
Aloe Vera Gel

I'm going to need support from this thread to stick with it long enough to give it a fair try.

Angel_Abby
October 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Hi All!

Some things I'm going to try differently:
VO5 clarifying conditioner (different scent and a little lighter, I hope)
Stretching washes (I think everyday CO was over-conditioning)
Using dandruff shampoo as needed, but try to stretch uses out
Aloe Vera Gel

I'm going to need support from this thread to stick with it long enough to give it a fair try.

:) Hey!

How are you using the gel? I am having a weird problem--which is probably no CO related, but I wonder if maybe one of y'all has a solution...

I have gotten tiny little scabs on my scalp, which I can't leave alone!:( So now my scalp hurts and I look like I have lice, since I can't keep my fingers out of my hair!:o

Picked up some T-Gel, and hope that it can help clear it up. And I may have to duct tape socks onto my hands! LOL

Anyway, my concern is keeping this from happening again. Oil? Gel? How's it done, how often? And what do you all like?

Henrietta
October 16th, 2010, 06:30 AM
After few months of CWC, yesterday I decided to do CO once. I was ready to take the risk of shedding as I wanted to give my hair extra moisture. And... surprise! No extra shedding! Maybe I will go back to CO? But it's not sure yet. Maybe it was just one happy washing. I will try few more times. If it works, I will switch. If not, I will stay with my lovely CWC ;)

XcaliburGirl
October 16th, 2010, 08:28 AM
:) Hey!

How are you using the gel? I am having a weird problem--which is probably no CO related, but I wonder if maybe one of y'all has a solution...
I actually use it in a few different ways, depending on what I feel like on a particular morning. If my scalp feels dry (which happens usually if I use shampoo twice in a row), I will rub some on the itchy spots. Also, for dry scalp I tried washing with diluted aloe vera gel, it worked pretty well but it's easier to CO. I was using AVG a lot as either wash or condition when I had a bad dandruff attack because I thought the problem might have been aggravated by my shampoo or conditioner. Occasionally I'll try to use it as styling gel; it works just as well for my frizz as other gels I've tried, which is not that great, but at least my hair feels nice the next day.
I hope you figure out your scalp issues. I know how frustrating it can be. Check if your conditioner has 'cones. I can't use them on my scalp...though sometimes I cheat and regret it.

I made it through four days of CO with soft, tangle-free hair and a happy scalp. I went a little 'cone crazy the last couple of days though (second condition from ears down, styling creme). I think I'm actually liking 'cone-free days better now that my hair is more moisturized in general (not just from CO, but also from soap washing for a while).
I did Selsun Blue yesterday because of the 'cones and some dandruff coming back. Today I'm back on CO.

I want to say "thank you" to the people in this thread for mentioning that you should leave the conditioner on your head for a while, do a quick rewet and then lather it up. I had no idea conditioner would lather like that! I think it definately is making a difference. :)

XcaliburGirl
October 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM
After few months of CWC, yesterday I decided to do CO once. I was ready to take the risk of shedding as I wanted to give my hair extra moisture. And... surprise! No extra shedding! Maybe I will go back to CO? But it's not sure yet. Maybe it was just one happy washing. I will try few more times. If it works, I will switch. If not, I will stay with my lovely CWC ;)
Don't forget, if you don't want to switch to CO completely, just throwing a few CO washes into your routine occasionally might work too.

Henrietta
October 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Don't forget, if you don't want to switch to CO completely, just throwing a few CO washes into your routine occasionally might work too.

This is exactly what I wanted to do- just throw it once, then wait few weeks and do it again (maybe). But the process went so well and the effect is so noticeable, that I really will consider going back to CO. I don't know what has change for the few months of CWC. Maybe my hair has calm down as I do not experiment with products and washing frequency...? But it's also possible that it was just one successful wash and every next one will be connected with shedding. Then I will take your advice- CO will be used only from time to time.

JuneBride
October 16th, 2010, 07:48 PM
CO Washing is a Miracle!!! It has dramatically changed my hair. I love and thank the people at TLHC for teaching me about this wonderful hair-saving method!!! Who knew! We are brainwashed into shampoo, rinse and repeat!!! But No! Alas, shampoo is evil! My hair and I love CO washing! I think the trick is...A SHOWER CAP!!! Leave the conditioner on a long time and your hair will soak it up, get cleaned and be beautiful!!!

I <3 CO!
:)

Henrietta
October 17th, 2010, 02:31 AM
CO Washing is a Miracle!!! It has dramatically changed my hair. I love and thank the people at TLHC for teaching me about this wonderful hair-saving method!!! Who knew! We are brainwashed into shampoo, rinse and repeat!!! But No! Alas, shampoo is evil! My hair and I love CO washing! I think the trick is...A SHOWER CAP!!! Leave the conditioner on a long time and your hair will soak it up, get cleaned and be beautiful!!!

I <3 CO!

I love such positive, optimistic posts:D:D:D

GRU
October 18th, 2010, 10:48 AM

I have gotten tiny little scabs on my scalp, which I can't leave alone!:( So now my scalp hurts and I look like I have lice, since I can't keep my fingers out of my hair!:o

Try searching on Seborrheic Dermatitis to see if that's what you have -- you'll find lots of mentions here at LHC as well as the web in general. Some of my scabby patches can be a centimeter long, and like you I can't help but pick them out (sometimes to the point of bleeding a little) b/c I think they're so nasty.

I found mine got MUCH better when I started CO-washing exclusively. I think this was due to a combination of reduced oil production b/c I wasn't using shampoo, as well as the difference in the way I "lathered up" -- when using shampoo, I didn't scrub all over as much, b/c I figured that the shampoo was stripping enough, but when I CO-wash, I make sure to massage all areas of my scalp really well. I think this more-complete method of scrubbing helps to remove patches and excess oil before they get out of hand.

I also added ACV rinses, which may have helped too (some people notice a difference with ACV).

Some people use Monistat to help control the yeast-element of S.D. I personally haven't used it, so I'll leave that for others to comment on.

Angel_Abby
October 18th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Try searching on Seborrheic Dermatitis to see if that's what you have -- you'll find lots of mentions here at LHC as well as the web in general. Some of my scabby patches can be a centimeter long, and like you I can't help but pick them out (sometimes to the point of bleeding a little) b/c I think they're so nasty.

I found mine got MUCH better when I started CO-washing exclusively. I think this was due to a combination of reduced oil production b/c I wasn't using shampoo, as well as the difference in the way I "lathered up" -- when using shampoo, I didn't scrub all over as much, b/c I figured that the shampoo was stripping enough, but when I CO-wash, I make sure to massage all areas of my scalp really well. I think this more-complete method of scrubbing helps to remove patches and excess oil before they get out of hand.

I also added ACV rinses, which may have helped too (some people notice a difference with ACV).

Some people use Monistat to help control the yeast-element of S.D. I personally haven't used it, so I'll leave that for others to comment on.

Thanks! I am loathe to pour ACV on my head.:o It already burns after picking at it... doesn't it hurt?

RadiantNeedle
October 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks! I am loathe to pour ACV on my head.:o It already burns after picking at it... doesn't it hurt?
ACV hasn't hurt when I've used it while I've got scabs and/or sores. I get tingly afterwards, though!

EverydayMiracle
October 18th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I am currently on a CWC routine and am considering trying CO for the second time. The last time I went four months on it (plenty of time for hair adjustment) and it just didn't work out for me. During this time my hair went completely flat. My husband wasn't happy with it because the flat look is what we associate with "dirty." My hair was clean, and it wasn't oily (I am inclined toward dry hair anyway) but it just looked limp and utterly lifeless.

Was I doing something wrong? If I try again, is there something I should do differently?

RadiantNeedle
October 18th, 2010, 11:54 PM
What conditioner/s were you using? Did it contain cones? You might have better luck with coneless or otherwise 'lighter' conditioner that doesn't weigh your hair down.

GRU
October 19th, 2010, 12:21 AM

You don't use straight ACV, though... it's VERY diluted.

I keep an old 20 ounce water bottle full of ACV in the shower, and I put a splash (maybe a tablespoon?) into a big plastic cup (maybe 32 ounces?) and then fill the cup with shower water. I pour some on my scalp/roots, then I dip my length in the cup and then pour the rest over my whole head. I've never felt a thing using this method. (And then I just store the cup upside down on the little bottle of vinegar.)

My hair *loves* an acidic rinse, and my scalp is pretty happy lately, too!

EverydayMiracle
October 19th, 2010, 11:06 AM
What conditioner/s were you using? Did it contain cones? You might have better luck with coneless or otherwise 'lighter' conditioner that doesn't weigh your hair down.

I've been using Suave. What would you recommend? What is available as far as 'coneless conditioners, and where can I get some? I go through a *lot* of conditioner and I don't know how much my husband is willing to let me spend :-/

Angel_Abby
October 20th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks so much! I will give that a try.

I also chopped off my fingernails so I can't get a grip on the little patches, and also am wearing a bandanna on my head at night to deter absent minded picking. :o

I can't wait to get this cleared up so I can get back to CO'ing. I finally found a routine that gets it done, and then this pops up!:rolleyes: LOL!

Angel_Abby
October 20th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I've been using Suave. What would you recommend? What is available as far as 'coneless conditioners, and where can I get some? I go through a *lot* of conditioner and I don't know how much my husband is willing to let me spend :-/

The Suave Daily Clarifying conditioner is really light. Have you tried that one? I rotate between the daily clarifying and the Coconut-- the coconut (and most of the 'naturals' line) are REALLY thick.

GRU
October 20th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I can't wait to get this cleared up so I can get back to CO'ing. I finally found a routine that gets it done, and then this pops up!:rolleyes: LOL!

As long as you're massaging/scrubbing really well all over, you may be able to start up with the CO-washing right now.

Are you at least CWCing to protect your length from the harshness of the T-Gel shampoo?

The Suave Daily Clarifying conditioner is really light. Have you tried that one? I rotate between the daily clarifying and the Coconut-- the coconut (and most of the 'naturals' line) are REALLY thick.

I use the Coconut, and I have to dilute it 50% with water in order to CO-wash with it (I just mix it in a hair-dye applicator bottle from Sally's), otherwise I could easily go through 2-3 bottles a week. With it watered down, it's easier to distribute and I don't feel like I'm washing 90% of it down the drain.

So I buy conditioner in bulk when it's on sale for 70-cents/bottle (and even full-price it's only a dollar/bottle), then I dilute it even more, so I'm paying less than 50-cents per bottle of conditioner. My jaw drops when I see fancy salon brands that cost $20-$30+/bottle.... and people flip out when they find out how cheap my haircare really is!

:cheese:

Angel_Abby
October 20th, 2010, 10:05 AM
As long as you're massaging/scrubbing really well all over, you may be able to start up with the CO-washing right now.

Are you at least CWCing to protect your length from the harshness of the T-Gel shampoo?

I use the Coconut, and I have to dilute it 50% with water in order to CO-wash with it (I just mix it in a hair-dye applicator bottle from Sally's), otherwise I could easily go through 2-3 bottles a week. With it watered down, it's easier to distribute and I don't feel like I'm washing 90% of it down the drain.

So I buy conditioner in bulk when it's on sale for 70-cents/bottle (and even full-price it's only a dollar/bottle), then I dilute it even more, so I'm paying less than 50-cents per bottle of conditioner. My jaw drops when I see fancy salon brands that cost $20-$30+/bottle.... and people flip out when they find out how cheap my haircare really is!

Sort of. I am covering the length in conditioner first, then using the shampoo. The directions recommend the shampoo sit on the scalp (after scrubbing in) for "several minutes". So I clip my hair up and let it soak, relather the scalp, and then rinse. My hair is definitely drier at the ends than it should be, but I have just been wearing it up. Hopefully I won't have to use this shampoo long term.

Do you think it would counteract the Tgel if I do a all-over application of conditioner after medicating the scalp? I didn't know if the shampoo still works even after its rinsed. You can SURE smell it for hours.:mad:

Henrietta
October 20th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I belong here. Again:) I discovered I can alternate between CO and CWC, so I am partly here, partly in CWC thread;)
So, hello to you all. Again:D

EverydayMiracle
October 20th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Huh. I am using Coconut right now and I've got to say it is *really* light. The Coconut and the Apple are the two lightest I've used. The Apple was downright light. I think they cleared it though because I can't find it anymore. The coconut is my favorite scent, and no, I haven't tried the clarifying. Maybe when I do another Suave run, I'll get it. I picked up some V05 today and I think that I'm going to alternate. I wash every other day and I'm going to definitely switch back to CO. The last two washes have been CO and my hair feels a lot better. The problem is that I'm afraid that when my hair acclimates to the routine it's going to get funny again. I may have to do a 'poo wash every couple of weeks. We'll see. I may buy a clarifying shampoo for that purpose, or one that is Sulphate-Free. I've have the same bottle of Shampoo for a year now.

Gilly
October 20th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I have got some Nature's Gate Biotin conditioner and the Aloe conditioner to try to use for CO, has anyone used them with success???

daaisychains
October 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Tried my first proper CO using the correct method tonight.
My hair is so soft! And it feels clean too even after not washing my hair following 4 days of intense exercise. I'm a CO convert.
I may post photos if i remember to get my little brother to take them for me tomorrow.

Thank you once again LHC.

Intransigentia
October 20th, 2010, 02:05 PM
What is available as far as 'coneless conditioners, and where can I get some? I go through a *lot* of conditioner and I don't know how much my husband is willing to let me spend :-/

If you're in Canada, the Loblaws/Superstore "Exact" brand conditioners are very lightweight, with no cones and no proteins (or at least none I can recognize from the ingredients). The Aloe Vera version has a particularly lovely scent. I love the stuff. It's around $3 for 800mL.

EverydayMiracle
October 20th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I'm in Indiana. I've never heard of those brands :-/

GRU
October 20th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Do you think it would counteract the Tgel if I do a all-over application of conditioner after medicating the scalp? I didn't know if the shampoo still works even after its rinsed. You can SURE smell it for hours.:mad:

I would think it shouldn't be a problem to condition afterward -- the point of the shampoo is to remove the scaly scabby patches. If you weren't allowed to use conditioner afterward, it should say so right on the bottle.

Or you could just do what a lot of folks here do and apply conditioners "from the ears down" only.

Intransigentia
October 20th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I'm in Indiana. I've never heard of those brands :-/

Yeah, that's not like Canada at all. But it might be worthwhile to read the ingredients on the cheapest store-brand/no-brand conditioners at your local big-box store, you might get lucky - afterall, cones and proteins are expensive, so the cheaper the less likely you are to find them?

EverydayMiracle
October 20th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Definitely not with the Suave Naturals and for a while that was the cheapest that the big box stores were selling. I did pick up some V05 today and I *am* going to try again for sure. The last two washes have been CO. I have body AND shine and my hair feels fantastic. I think that I can make this work this time, if I'm patient.

Teufelchen
October 21st, 2010, 03:31 AM
Huh. I am using Coconut right now and I've got to say it is *really* light. The Coconut and the Apple are the two lightest I've used. The Apple was downright light. I think they cleared it though because I can't find it anymore. The coconut is my favorite scent, and no, I haven't tried the clarifying. Maybe when I do another Suave run, I'll get it. I picked up some V05 today and I think that I'm going to alternate. I wash every other day and I'm going to definitely switch back to CO. The last two washes have been CO and my hair feels a lot better. The problem is that I'm afraid that when my hair acclimates to the routine it's going to get funny again. I may have to do a 'poo wash every couple of weeks. We'll see. I may buy a clarifying shampoo for that purpose, or one that is Sulphate-Free. I've have the same bottle of Shampoo for a year now.
I definitely recommend to do a poo wash every now and then. I have to do it once a week, otherwise my hair gets weight down, but I have rather fine hair and it is very greasy.
My Scalp also loves the poo washes, my hair itself doesn't, it prefers CO. :)

alwayssmiling
October 21st, 2010, 03:36 AM
After experimenting with lots of conditioners I have finally found great success with those that are marketed for greasy hair. The ones I like are all very cheap, thin and runny and usually are minty or tea tree based. All cone free and foam up really well. I then do, from ears down, with a heavier conditioner. My hair looks squeeky clean and well conditioned, Ihave developed some lovely curls. I'm using a sls free shampoo once a week - not had a greasy day for weeks using this method :)

Gilly
October 21st, 2010, 01:22 PM
This morning I CO'd with Nature's Gate Aloe conditioner, I wet my hair well and gave it a bit of a massage for a few seconds then applied the condish, I smooshed it in like I was shampooing, I only did it for maybe 10-15 seconds. I then did my other shower stuff, when I rinsed it I did the shampoo massage thing again while the water was going through it.
I actually picked up the bottle to make sure I had got the conditioner NOT the shampoo, that's how clean my hair felt!!!:cheese: I then put a bit of the Nature's Gate Biotin condish on the ends for a few seconds then when I got out I applied a bit of Nightblooming Panacea to the ends, I have waves and whurls this morning!!:cheese:
I am wondering if this stuff comes in 45 gallon drums!

bluesnowflake
October 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM
Newbie here- I'm thinking of trying CO, but I was wondering- is there a greasy "transition" period? How long does it last? My hair tends to get oily if I go more than every-other day showering, so I don't want to aggravate that.

Intransigentia
October 21st, 2010, 01:45 PM
I'm still pretty new to CO (a few weeks), but I didn't have a greasy transition period at all, other than a couple days in the beginning where I was still figuring it out and didn't rinse enough or massage my scalp enough, but now that I figured those things out I still wash about the same frequency, just with conditioner instead of shampoo. Lately though, I've been finding my scalp isn't greasing up as fast as it used to, so if I'm feeling lazy I can put off washing an extra day - though I'll definitely need a wash by the end of that day.

liagibba
October 21st, 2010, 07:37 PM
I had a 2-3 week greasy period, but it was definitely manageable. To make up for it, I CO washed everyday. Now I'm down to for every 2nd day and it's been working well. Now, after 3 months of CO washing exclusively, even when my hair LOOKS oily, it certainly doesn't FEEL oily.

EverydayMiracle
October 21st, 2010, 08:29 PM
If you're worried about transition you might try CWC first. That's what I've done both times, and it has worked out well. I'm on wash 3 CO (for the second time) and the bulk of my hair is very full, while the top is... not. I think I'm going to have to completely give up on the Suave Naturals anywhere on my hair and stick with the V05, since the ends are full and... beautiful. I'm loving it. I ought to have DH take another picture!

XcaliburGirl
October 22nd, 2010, 07:11 AM
Newbie here- I'm thinking of trying CO, but I was wondering- is there a greasy "transition" period? How long does it last? My hair tends to get oily if I go more than every-other day showering, so I don't want to aggravate that.
Going cold turkey from sulfates everyday to CO did not work for me. I ended up doing shampoo bars for a while which I think eased the transition this time. This time, I'm using shampoo about once a week and I'll stretch it out slowly. Personally, I'd rather shampoo once in a while than be miserable, waiting until the greasiness subsides on it's own.

Henrietta
October 22nd, 2010, 08:00 AM

I had like... no transition period at all. My hair get used to this washing method at once, I had clean hair like after poo-ing and I could maintain my washing cycle- washing every 3 days.

kabelaced
October 22nd, 2010, 08:21 AM
I had like... no transition period at all. My hair get used to this washing method at once, I had clean hair like after poo-ing and I could maintain my washing cycle- washing every 3 days.

Same here!

Just checking in to say that I'm still doing CO, although now I wash a little more often per week - from two times to three times a week. Still doing first wash with VO5 blackberry sage tea, with the second rinse being the wonderful Garnier Triple Nutrition. I really really like the VO5 for my first wash, but I'm thinking of trying Trader Joe's Nourish Spa as the first wash and perhaps rotating between Garnier and the Tressemmé Naturals I've been hearing so much about. I still finish with a light ACV rinse, then add a tiny bit of Kinky-Curly to my hair as a leave in, while blending a bit of coconut oil (and lately also peppermint EO) and massaging it all over the scalp until it tingles.

Dandruff's not gone, but I really have been finding it's less noticeable now. I've also given up brushing in favor of combing and scalp massage, and I experience much less itchiness.

Looking for some kind of gentle clarifying shampoo for once-a-month buildup relief, but I am very hesitant to do so, as the last shampoo I used left me terribly itchy. Cheers! :D

luxepiggy
October 22nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Um.

So I just tried this for the first time ever.

It is FABULOUS! \(^(oo)^)/

I thought my hair was soft before, but I was wrong. I even have noticeably fewer flyaways. Why oh why did I not do this earlier? Oh right, because I didn't know about it . . . thanks LHC!

whiteisle
October 22nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
I'm back to trying the CO method and wowzers! It truly is everything I could hope for! Why, oh, why do I keep venturing away?!! *smacks forehead*:rolleyes:
Washed today with some Suave Naturals followed by Garnier TN after overnight oiling with olive oil . Results: Amazing hair! I also have wash with the Tresemme Naturals with lovely results, too. I'm going to try to stick with this for a while this time and hopefully will continue to have happy hair! :D

GRU
October 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Welcome to The Dark Side, ladies.... we have cookies! :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

:D

Gilly
October 22nd, 2010, 09:24 PM
I am very happy with the Nature's Gate conditioners:cheese:
I tried it again this morning and my hair is so happy its gone curly!!!:cheese:

luxepiggy
October 22nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
Welcome to The Dark Side, ladies.... we have cookies! :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

Oh cookies! Don't mind if I do (^(oo)^)v

Thank you! :inlove:

GRU
October 22nd, 2010, 09:42 PM
Oh cookies! Don't mind if I do (^(oo)^)v

Thank you! :inlove:

You're VERY welcome..... there's another Dark Side here at LHC, the hennaheads, and we have cookies there too! ;)

moonkitty
October 23rd, 2010, 12:29 AM
I am just another convert to this method ;) It has changed my hair so much! I throw in a Condition Wash Condition every other washing and it is working out quite well for me. Thanks LHC!!!

whiteisle
October 23rd, 2010, 06:16 AM

mmm.....coooookies! :D

EverydayMiracle
October 23rd, 2010, 01:18 PM
I've also definitely seen the positive effects. The problem is that I'm still having the negative (the limp hair). I've switched conditioners so I'm going to see whether or not there is a transition period on the V05 before I switch back again. I think I'm going to do a CWC every week or every other week to lift the roots if I have to. I'm also going to add in an ACV rinse tonight after I wash to see what happens. That has *also* not worked out for me in the past, so we'll see.

Angel_Abby
October 24th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Success!!

CO'ing after the Tgel is doing wonders. Kind of like after you use acne stuff on your face- you have to moisturize or it gets too dry? The conditioner must be helping calm my scalp down. I've noticed less patches-- :cheese:

I'm also going to cut the Tgel to twice a week instead of every other day. I must have been aggravating my poor scalp even more!

:o

GRU
October 24th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Success!!

CO'ing after the Tgel is doing wonders. Kind of like after you use acne stuff on your face- you have to moisturize or it gets too dry? The conditioner must be helping calm my scalp down. I've noticed less patches-- :cheese:

I'm also going to cut the Tgel to twice a week instead of every other day. I must have been aggravating my poor scalp even more!

:o

:cheer: Yay! Glad it's working out for you!

Angel_Abby
October 26th, 2010, 11:42 AM
:cheer: Yay! Glad it's working out for you!

Thanks! And now, if I could just keep my hands out of it... all would be well in my world!:p:)

duh_its_Sarah
October 26th, 2010, 12:34 PM
If I use a straightener some, should I use a coney CO or just a coney 2nd conditioner from under ears down?

duh_its_Sarah
October 26th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Also, say i acv rinse once a week. do you co and then acv rinse then rinse with water and thats it?

luxepiggy
October 26th, 2010, 02:11 PM
You're VERY welcome..... there's another Dark Side here at LHC, the hennaheads, and we have cookies there too! ;)

Does anything happen if one puts henna on dark hair? Other than cookie consumption, I mean? :D

STILL loving the CO wash by the way! Although I had to ring up housekeeping halfway through my shower this weekend (I was out of town for a friend's birthday) for more conditioner :p

GRU
October 26th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Does anything happen if one puts henna on dark hair? Other than cookie consumption, I mean? :D

You might get an orange-ish glow in direct sunlight, but that should be it for coloration. You'll gain the conditioning/strengthening benefits, however. (note that Indian markets sell henna products, and their clients tend to be dark-haired)

duh_its_Sarah
October 27th, 2010, 07:40 AM
anyone? should i use coney conditioner if i still with heat?

XcaliburGirl
October 27th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I don't know about heat styling, but if it will help protect it, then it seems like a good idea. You can use 'coney conditioner, though you may need to clarify once in a while. Also, for me personally, I avoid 'cones near my scalp.

Hope that helps.

duh_its_Sarah
October 27th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I thought about that. Just do cones beneath the ears down every other night or something.
I can clarify with acv, baking soda or a clarifying shampoo right?

Anatheme
October 27th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I thought about that. Just do cones beneath the ears down every other night or something.
I can clarify with acv, baking soda or a clarifying shampoo right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe ACV can actually clarify - I think it removes build up from that particular wash, but not build up that's developed over several washes. If you ACV rinsed after every wash where you used cones then I suppose that would work, but using vinegar that often would probably be too much for your hair. Clarifying with baking soda or a clarifying shampoo, maybe even a generic strong sulphate shampoo, every so often should work for you. :)

SapphiraSilver
October 28th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I find the cone conditioners works with heat for me, the cones help protect the hair from the heat. My hair is damaged though so cones are ok for me. But whether you use cones or not, it is important to use some kind of a heat defense when heat styling and most heat protections have cones.

duh_its_Sarah
October 28th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I cant find that article I once saw on 'to cone or not to cone'... you know... which one to use. Or the reasoning behind it.
Thats a lot of planning if I go no cone..then if I decide to straighten my hair the following day..i needed to use a cone conditioner the night before. Or I could just do the length huh? Im so confused on which to use since reading about all of this. :(

curlsgalore
October 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I've been co-washing more often than CWC since the temperature has dropped and my hair is very happy. The key for me is to massage my scalp really well and thoroughly and let the conditioner sit in my hair for atleast a few minutes. I'm so glad this is working for me. My hair thanks me. :)

Intransigentia
October 28th, 2010, 09:10 AM
My hair and scalp have been happy for about two weeks CO-ing with a super-cheap store-brand no-cone, no-protein thin and runny conditioner. And now I've had the weirdest thing happen: before I started CO, I used to joke that my scalp and facial oil production was so high I expected world powers to be occupying my head and launching resource wars any day now. Oil production is down so much that the last couple washes, CO with the thin conditioner actually made my hair squeaky-clean, tangly, and a bit dry, almost as if I'd clarified and not conditioned after. So yesterday I tried upgrading to something a bit thicker (Mane n Tail) and my hair is doing that "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful... Hate me because I have beautiful hair" bouncy voluminous thing. It also dried super-fast - I was up for maybe an hour between my shower and bedtime, and by bedtime it was completely dry in some places and only damp in the rest. I could live with this.

This is the first time I can ever recall that my skin/hair have demanded something richer and thicker. So, so weird.

Artsy
October 28th, 2010, 10:39 AM

It seems to be general recommendation to use cones with heat. However, my own head says the opposite. If I blow dry with cones on, I get really dull hair. I don't know exact reason, but I suspect it's because most cones are drying ones and leave a hard shell on. If I airdry, the shiniest results are with cone condish. If I blowdry, I have to apply cone serum after I finished bith the blow drier. I do use my curling iron on mid-low heat successfully after both, and never use a straightener at all.

This is just my own experience, I hope this helps.
Also what seams to lift some cones off is heavy oiling over couple of hours. Also soaking in a conditioner/oil mix over a few hours helps just as well.

It also dried super-fast - I was up for maybe an hour between my shower and bedtime, and by bedtime it was completely dry in some places and only damp in the rest. I could live with this.

This is the first time I can ever recall that my skin/hair have demanded something richer and thicker. So, so weird.

Aren't you lucky, it takes me a whole night to dry my hair these days, and even when I wake up it's still damp. With winter already here (snowed yesterday, I'm going to cry) I have to resort to the blowfryer unfortunately. Honestly I don't know what makes me want to cry more:))))
________
Og Kush (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/og-kush)

Theobroma
October 28th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Aren't you lucky, it takes me a whole night to dry my hair these days, and even when I wake up it's still damp. With winter already here (snowed yesterday, I'm going to cry) I have to resort to the blowfryer unfortunately. Honestly I don't know what makes me want to cry more:))))

You aren't alone -- I can't do without some blowdrying either. What I do is just blowdry the scalp hair at the back and sides of my head with the hairdryer on its coolest setting (I can keep my fingers in the airstream the whole time without my skin getting uncomfortably hot). That gives things a bit of a head start and then it doesn't take all day (or night) to dry the rest of the way, even though I don't blowdry the length at all.

Intransigentia
October 28th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah we've got snow too. Freezing rain overnight. I can deal with that, its the darkness that's getting me down. I do not get up before the sun, dammit. (Except that for half the year, I do.)

Hey, a fellow Albertan! Neato!

Anatheme
October 28th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I cant find that article I once saw on 'to cone or not to cone'... you know... which one to use. Or the reasoning behind it.

Found it. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13) :)

On that note I'm going to experiment with going no cones as soon as I get around to buying some new conditioner.

luxepiggy
October 29th, 2010, 04:12 AM
You might get an orange-ish glow in direct sunlight, but that should be it for coloration. You'll gain the conditioning/strengthening benefits, however. (note that Indian markets sell henna products, and their clients tend to be dark-haired)

Is there a dedicated thread for that too? I can't seem to find it - alas!

luxepiggy
October 29th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Thats a lot of planning if I go no cone..then if I decide to straighten my hair the following day..i needed to use a cone conditioner the night before. Or I could just do the length huh? Im so confused on which to use since reading about all of this. :(

I use cones because my hair likes cones, even though I don't straighten or use a curling iron or anything like that. I do employ the "cold shot" setting on my hair dryer though. (^(oo)^)v

XcaliburGirl
October 29th, 2010, 05:57 AM
My hair and scalp have been happy for about two weeks CO-ing with a super-cheap store-brand no-cone, no-protein thin and runny conditioner. And now I've had the weirdest thing happen: before I started CO, I used to joke that my scalp and facial oil production was so high I expected world powers to be occupying my head and launching resource wars any day now. Oil production is down so much that the last couple washes, CO with the thin conditioner actually made my hair squeaky-clean, tangly, and a bit dry, almost as if I'd clarified and not conditioned after. So yesterday I tried upgrading to something a bit thicker (Mane n Tail) and my hair is doing that "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful... Hate me because I have beautiful hair" bouncy voluminous thing. It also dried super-fast - I was up for maybe an hour between my shower and bedtime, and by bedtime it was completely dry in some places and only damp in the rest. I could live with this.

That's great. :)

I think it's kind of expected for the oil production to lessen. It happened for me once I started using gentler cleansing methods. When I used shampoo bars, I could even wash every other day, which was previously impossible for me. I probably will be able to with CO, but I like washing daily.

GRU
October 29th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Is there a dedicated thread for that too? I can't seem to find it - alas!

Here's the henna thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45

And here are some pics of hennaed heads: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2963

Hope that helps, LP!

liagibba
November 4th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I just bought a new (to me) scent of Suave Naturals conditioner: tangerine. Anyone have experience with this one? I've been using Apple for a while now and I assume they'll be similar, but the ingredient listing is a little different. Can't wait to smell my hair after the 1st use!

Raventresses
November 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I just did my first condish only wash with Suave Humectant. I am absolutely shocked at how soft and clean my hair feels! I was honestly expecting it to look slightly greasy since I have such oily hair. And it's air drying so much faster than usual.... I like!

whiteisle
November 8th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Has anyone tried Suave Apple? I was in Target today and it's the only one that appealed to me. My last Suave was the Aloe and Waterlily and it did well. I guess they are all pretty much the same but I do know that I've got to be careful with the Suave Coconut as it does have a bit of protein and my hair hates any and all protein.

curlsgalore
November 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM
My favorites are Vanilla, Wild Cherry Blossom and the Pomegranate one. The coconut one will do in a pinch though.

Coan-Teen
November 8th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I've just started CO washing with VO5 Repair & Protect. So far so good. My hair is much softer and significantly less dry. I'm also noticing a lot more body in my second-day hair. My hair is absolutely drinking this stuff down! :)

jujube
November 8th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Random question.

If my (short) hair has very damaged ends due to heat styling (never again!), is it better that I use cones or no-cones?

I'm currently using a conefree first conditioner but a coney second one. Should I go totally coneless?

Also, what's a good conefree thick conditioner for the second C?

liagibba
November 8th, 2010, 08:38 PM
whiteisle I am currently using the Apple scent from Suave, and I love it! It's not too thin and it cleanses very thoroughly. I've been enjoying the way my hair smells a lot, too :)

GRU
November 9th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Random question.

If my (short) hair has very damaged ends due to heat styling (never again!), is it better that I use cones or no-cones?

I'm currently using a conefree first conditioner but a coney second one. Should I go totally coneless?

If you're not using shampoo, you can end up with buildup from the cones that aren't getting washed out -- that's why many of us go cone-free.

The Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition is a popular cone-free conditioner, as is Biolage Conditioning Balm (and/or the GVP version from Sally's).

kabelaced
November 9th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Random question.

GRU's got some awesome advice! If you really wanted to, you could also give yourself a test period of a few weeks for no cone + cone versus no cones at all. :)

I can vouch for Garnier Triple Nutrition - awesome second conditioner that always leaves my hair super soft!! :)

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I use cones, but my hair's sort of weird - I used them for at least 10 years straight before I even knew what clarifying shampoo was, and I never had buildup problems. Maybe my hair is so slippery even buildup can't stay on (^(oo)^)v

GRU
November 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I use cones, but my hair's sort of weird - I used them for at least 10 years straight before I even knew what clarifying shampoo was, and I never had buildup problems. Maybe my hair is so slippery even buildup can't stay on (^(oo)^)v

Oinkers -- did you use ANY shampoo at all during that time?

Cones just need some sort of strongish surfactant to remove them, not a clarifying ingredient specifically.

Aleria
November 10th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Need some help - I've been CO'ing just fine with Suave Naturals (Tangerine, then Strawberry, about to switch to Coconut) with the occasional clarifying wash when my ends got crunchy.
But in the last week or so my hair's been feeling really greasy. Normally I wash about every second day, but I can go nearly a week before my hair feels greasy. Now it gets there the next evening after a wash! What's causing this and how can I stop it? It doesn't look greasy, just shiny, but it sure feels like it.

AnnaJamila
November 10th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Ok everyone, I am SOOOO excited that I just have to get on here and gush when by all rights I should be either asleep or rubbing hubbies back (he's had a horrible backache for the longest, my poor habibi! :( ) but anywho I use mostly V05 as most other things contain coneys and seeing as my walmart has only three types I figured I'd spring for the extra 15 cents and check out Kroger to spice things up. Well, I'M IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! The tea treatment blackberry and sage scent is just out of this world! One of my favorite "chain" scents is midnight pomegranate from bath and body works and that is EXACTLY what this smells like!!! So anywho, is it bad to CO wash my hair everyday? Because I use monistat everynight and I don't like leaving my hair greasy half of the week. It doesn't seem to be getting greasy or anything so I hope I'm good... Now if only I could find that thread on self cutting and get the link for the directions... Off to creep!!! ;)

GRU
November 11th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Need some help - I've been CO'ing just fine with Suave Naturals (Tangerine, then Strawberry, about to switch to Coconut) with the occasional clarifying wash when my ends got crunchy.
But in the last week or so my hair's been feeling really greasy. Normally I wash about every second day, but I can go nearly a week before my hair feels greasy. Now it gets there the next evening after a wash! What's causing this and how can I stop it? It doesn't look greasy, just shiny, but it sure feels like it.

Does this coincide with your switch from Tangerine to Strawberry?

Also, has the weather changed in your area recently? Some folks have "summer" and "winter" products for differences in temperature and humidity.

So anywho, is it bad to CO wash my hair everyday? Because I use monistat everynight and I don't like leaving my hair greasy half of the week. It doesn't seem to be getting greasy or anything so I hope I'm good...

I've been CO-washing pretty much daily for a year now... it's a LOT better for your hair than shampooing it daily!!!

Now if only I could find that thread on self cutting and get the link for the directions... Off to creep!!! ;)

I think this is what you're looking for: Feye's Hair Trimming Instructions (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim)

kabelaced
November 11th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Interestingly enough, last night I bought some of that GVP Biolage (around $6 versus the price I saw Biolage at my work: a whopping $16!). For a cone-free conditioner, I couldn't get over how thick it was (thicker than the Garnier, even, I would say). I wasn't a fan of the smell, but I put my hair in a cap last night and when I woke up this morning and took it off...SO MUCH WAVE! My hair drank the moisture in. It's crazy.

So, both Garnier and GVP are awesome, in my opinion. It's likely that I will only use the GVP on occasion, though, as I'm a little afraid that using such a heavy second condish all of the time will start to be detrimental for my hair. (Organix coconut conditioner was really heavy like this one, and repeated uses diminished the awesome effects.)

Happy Thursday, everyone!! :p

Yasmine91
November 11th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I have a queston about 2 things:

What are shampoo's that have 'cones'?
and every week when I wash my hair I drench it totally in oil, would I be able to CO my hair when my hair is this oily or is shampoo a must for this?

kabelaced
November 11th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I have a queston about 2 things:

What are shampoo's that have 'cones'?
and every week when I wash my hair I drench it totally in oil, would I be able to CO my hair when my hair is this oily or is shampoo a must for this?

A long time ago, I read somewhere in here that using conditioner can actually help to remove the oil better than a shampoo does. In my experience, I've coated my hair pretty thickly with coconut milk one time and coconut oil the other time, and both times it came out with the conditioner. The coconut milk did leave my hair a little heavy, though, so I won't be using that anymore.

Cones can be silicone, dimethicone and a bunch of other 'cones. If you see anything on the ingredients label that has "cone" in it, then it has cones! :D Whether you use cone or no-cone conditioner is completely up to you. (ETA: Just noticed you wrote "shampoo" - I believe that cones in shampoo are there to help provide slip!)You'll generally find that your hair likes one or the other, or maybe even one coney/no-cone conditioner over all the others of the same kind.

If you use conditioners that have -cones in the ingredients, chances are you will have to clarify more than if you used a conditioner with no cones. You may not always have to clarify, as some of our coneheads can attest ;) ktani also wrote an excellent article on cones if you'd like to read (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=185)it!

GRU
November 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I get oil out of my hair just fine with conditioner only.

Silicone ingredients to watch for are things that end in "-one" or "-onol" or "-ane" with the exception of two preservatives that LOOK like silicones but actually are not: methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone.

Aleria
November 11th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Does this coincide with your switch from Tangerine to Strawberry?

Also, has the weather changed in your area recently? Some folks have "summer" and "winter" products for differences in temperature and humidity.

No, I'm nearly at the end of the Strawberry bottle now. The weather hasn't changed significantly and it's never really affected my hair before.

GRU
November 11th, 2010, 02:19 PM
No, I'm nearly at the end of the Strawberry bottle now. The weather hasn't changed significantly and it's never really affected my hair before.

How long have you been using the Strawberry bottle? If it's some sort of a buildup issue, it could take a couple weeks / several uses for that to show up?

I dunno, just throwing out random ideas here.... :shrug:

luxepiggy
November 11th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Oinkers -- did you use ANY shampoo at all during that time?

Cones just need some sort of strongish surfactant to remove them, not a clarifying ingredient specifically.

Oinkers! I like my new name! (^(oo)^)

You're right, I did use shampoo at that time. So does that mean I'll need to start clarifying eventually now that I've switched to CO? How often do people usually have to do it? ( ' (oo) ' )

GRU
November 11th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Oinkers! I like my new name! (^(oo)^)

You're right, I did use shampoo at that time. So does that mean I'll need to start clarifying eventually now that I've switched to CO? How often do people usually have to do it? ( ' (oo) ' )

I'm big on internet screenname nicknames.... glad you like your new one! :D

As for clarifying, it depends on which cones you're using (some don't build up) and how often.

Basically, if your hair starts misbehaving, hit it with some shampoo one day and then go back to your regular routine until it acts up again.

CrowningGlory
November 11th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I've just decided to give CO another go but haven't had a chance to read through this entire thread yet so please forgive me if I ask a question that has already been asked.

1. Are there others that dilute their conditioner to make it spread more easily? I've not had much success finding a cheap runny conditioner that is non moisturising and doesn't contain loads of protein. The one I did find was Alberto Clarifying Conditioner and it says that it won't cause build up and will rinse easily. It's still too thick so today I added equal parts chamomile tea and found that it was a lot easier to actually massage the condish into my scalp. My hair's still drying but I think it's looking clean.

2. Are there any others who basically just do a scalp wash when they CO? I find that my length gets greasy if I use condish regularly so I've just been COing the scalp and letting the water run down my length, hoping that the condish in the rinse water is enough for my length. I might try a herbal tea if I think my length needs more but at this stage I'm thinking of reserving my thicker conditioners just for the times I need to shampoo or when I think my hair needs it. I do oil several times a week and so far this seems to be enough. Any thoughts?

GRU
November 11th, 2010, 05:18 PM
1. Are there others that dilute their conditioner to make it spread more easily?

Every day! Even though I mostly use Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, which most would consider to be a "cheap and runny" product, I still water it down considerably. If I didn't dilute it, I'd be going through a bottle every couple of days! And my hair gets plenty clean, so it's not doing any harm.

CrowningGlory
November 11th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Several posts ago (I couldn't find it when I tried to look, but I didn't look super far back), someone asked about CO for scalps that had other problems. I'd like to try to answer that, but please note, this works for me, and it's only my results. Although I've spoken with my doctors and dermatologists about my results with CO, and they've begun suggesting it to some of their other patients, it is in no way a medical opinion.

I started CO several years ago, mostly because my favorite detangler was discontinued (Knot Forgotten by Aussie). My hair snarls up really easily, and the detangler not only helped with that, it also helped in that I didn't have to detangle two or three times a day. So, desperately searching the web for answers, I ran across the Long Hair Community, and the CO washing forum.

My hair was in the minority in that it adapted immediately, from the first time, to having only CO. The tangle came under better control, hair felt like hair instead of straw, etc. By the way, my hair LOVES cones, and the "natural" conditioners I've tried since then just didn't get the great results.

But, a funny thing started to happen. My scalp wasn't as itchy, or as sensitive, as before, and I thought that was because I wasn't having to detangle it two or three times a day any more. Then, a friend who was brushing my hair asked me if I'd started to use some new kind of medication on my scalp for psoriasis, a condition I've had for over 50 years. I asked her to check my whole scalp, and except for a small patch near my neck, she couldn't find any. A month later, even that was gone.

And I haven't had an outbreak in my scalp since. I've had small patches near my hairline at the back (and those are mostly seasonal, in the winter), but that's it - not the total scalp-covering plaques I used to get.

I can't even begin to tell you what a difference this has made. I can wear dark colored shirts again, if I like, and not look like I have terminal dandruff from bits of the psoriasis plaques flaking off. OK, I don't wear dark stuff much anyway, but the point is, I can if I like.

Then another strange thing happened a year or so ago. I had joined the soap makers' forum, to see if I could figure out how to make a soap that would keep the plaques under control on my skin on the rest of my body. Someone said, "Why don't you just use your conditioner to wash all over?" Nothing like being hit with the obvious, huh?

So, now, the plaques that have covered my lower chest, elbows, and parts of my back are reduced greatly.

Maybe I'm just allergic to soap? Maybe.. but there's something else to this. I know a number of people with psoriasis, eczema, etc., as these problems run in my family (it's all a genetic trait). The ones who have switched to CO have loved it, seen a dramatic reduction in the severe plaques and itching they have had. Some had a few issues with hair greasiness, that went away within a couple weeks, but all of my family who have tried it have been happy with it.

It comes to this: Totally without any representation that this is a medical cure for psoriasis, and with all disclaimers in place that this is in no way a sure thing, I can completely endorse trying this method if you have issues with psoriasis or related genetic diseases of the skin and scalp.

I know this was posted a while ago (last year I think) but if Nyia still frequents this thread I want to say a big thank you. I'm going to pass this information onto my son who has suffered with eczema and psoriasis since he was 3 weeks old (he's now an adult). I might even talk DH into giving CO a try because he gets terrible outbreaks of sores on his scalp whenever he's stressed. We switched to organic shampoos several years ago and it's better but I'd like to see it disappear completely. He does have a full head of thick hair but he still gets embarassed by the sores.

GRU
November 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
CrowningGlory, I have found that my seborrheic dermatitis (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM02630) has improved dramatically since I've been CO-washing for the past year. I can't even remember the last time I found a scab/scale on my head -- several months at least -- and it's been even longer since I had a patch so bad that I bled when I itched it off.

luxepiggy
November 14th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Pigtastrophe! Halp, halp!
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/4heo152.gif

It's been nearly a month since I started CO washing, and my hair is still loving it. However, my scalp is staging a sudden, unexpected revolt against the new regime! I last CO washed last night around 10pm.

At some point in the intervening hours, my entire scalp has become incredibly flaky. It seriously just looks like a mass of flakes. I've never had problems with dandruff or anything like this in the past. It doesn't itch or hurt at all; in fact, my scalp feels the same as it always does (like nothing, basically).

Any suggestions as to what could have caused my scalp to freak out? Is this the hair "misbehavior" that means I need to shampoo? Or has something gone horribly wrong?

- Oinkers, somewhat frantically (*(oo)*)`

GRU
November 14th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Oinkers, when you CO-wash, do you "scrub" your scalp really well?

My flaking actually IMPROVED when I started CO-washing, simply b/c I was paying more attention to it -- previously, I had always just kind of assumed that the shampoo itself was strong enough to do the work, so I didn't scrub much on my scalp. When I started CO-ing it, though, I really paid attention to my scalp, making sure to rub all over my head very thoroughly, and my flaking basically disappeared.

Another thought... did you happen to get sunburn on your scalp recently?

Other than that, my only other thought would be to try a different product -- perhaps you're developing an allergy or sensitivity to an ingredient in your conditioner?

Good luck...

Luna12345
November 15th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Well after co-washing for 2 months I've decided to quit. At first my hair become so beautiful...soft,shiny.....but after a while for some reason my hair started to become much dryer than normal...it even started to look unhealthy...now I'm back to using shampoo, not everyday but every other day or so and my hair couldn't be happier. I guess co-washing doesnèt work for all of us.

Crazycatlady
November 15th, 2010, 07:09 AM

It's been nearly a month since I started CO washing, and my hair is still loving it. However, my scalp is staging a sudden, unexpected revolt against the new regime! I last CO washed last night around 10pm.

At some point in the intervening hours, my entire scalp has become incredibly flaky. It seriously just looks like a mass of flakes. I've never had problems with dandruff or anything like this in the past. It doesn't itch or hurt at all; in fact, my scalp feels the same as it always does (like nothing, basically).

Any suggestions as to what could have caused my scalp to freak out? Is this the hair "misbehavior" that means I need to shampoo? Or has something gone horribly wrong?

Luxepiggy do you think your scalp might be "coated" from the conditioner and maybe if you switch brands it may help? I know many here CO and never shampoo without problems, but I get small pimples on my scalp if I never use shampoo. Also, my scalp will feel "sore" or bruised, like I've had it pulled back in a ponytail too tight or something. One wash with SLS shampoo and I'm fine. So, now I alternate to keep my hair and scalp happy. Good luck! :)

lordofthespoons
November 15th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I've not read through every poston here, so i'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but Original Source MINT+Teatree conditioner is a perfect conditioner for CO, has a thick texture and contains only natural oils no silicons or any of that crap :)
x

GRU
November 15th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Well after co-washing for 2 months I've decided to quit. At first my hair become so beautiful...soft,shiny.....but after a while for some reason my hair started to become much dryer than normal...it even started to look unhealthy...now I'm back to using shampoo, not everyday but every other day or so and my hair couldn't be happier. I guess co-washing doesnèt work for all of us.

Sounds like maybe you were getting some sort of a buildup, which can make the hair feel dry and tangly? Which conditioner were you using?

Coan-Teen
November 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM

It sounds like build-up flaking off your scalp and not true dandruff. I'd say clarify right away and thoroughly. Try not conditioning immediately after and see if it improves. You might need to clarify every few weeks or try switching to a new conditioner that provides less build up. Are you using conditioner with cones? I know you've said before that you hair likes them.

Raventresses
November 16th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I had to clarify last night. My hair had started to feel rough and my roots were getting greasy not even a full day after a CO wash. Soooo much better now!

I've only been on the CO bandwagon for 2 weeks. I've been using the Suave Clarifying conditioner as my wash and then using a coney condish on my ends only.

PeacenQuietGal
November 16th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Hello,

Brand new CO girl here and brand new to this wonderful board! (my first post actually). Well first let me say that i am so enthused about CO washing! I have been at it a almost a week now. I found this site via a google search, and discovered CinnamonHairs's videos and am trying to follow her methods, and just thoroughly enjoyining exploring this wealth of information y'all have created! In fact, I feel like i've rescued from years and years of MISinformation!
I will look forward to hearing from those more experienced than newbie me!!

thanks,
Laura

GRU
November 16th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Welcome "aboard" PeacenQuietGal!

This is, without a doubt, the NICEST forum on the entire World Wide Web -- glad you joined us!

Coan-Teen
November 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I tried searching for posts and threads related to this but couldn't find one. Has anyone experienced a darkening of their hair color on CO washing? I naturally have a weird hair color, sort of dark gold/light brown/reddish gold. I know it sounds weird and trust me it is. People are constantly asking if I've dyed my hair depending on the lighting, but I've noticed that since I started CO washing a few weeks ago my hair tends to look darker. I'm considering a clarifying wash to see if it makes a difference but I was curious to see if anyone had had similar experiences.

luxepiggy
November 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I tried searching for posts and threads related to this but couldn't find one. Has anyone experienced a darkening of their hair color on CO washing? I naturally have a weird hair color, sort of dark gold/light brown/reddish gold. I know it sounds weird and trust me it is. People are constantly asking if I've dyed my hair depending on the lighting, but I've noticed that since I started CO washing a few weeks ago my hair tends to look darker. I'm considering a clarifying wash to see if it makes a difference but I was curious to see if anyone had had similar experiences.

Mine's getting lighter . . . http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/confusedpiggy.gif

whiteisle
November 16th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Mine gets lighter as well (it does it with shampoo bars, too). Hmm.....weird.

pixistixx
November 16th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I've been doing CO for a little over 2 weeks now, and my fiancee commented on how my hair looks darker, more chestnut colored. I think it was just really dry before, and the hydration is making it appear richer. When I say dry hair, i mean, using a clarifying shampoo every day, np:doh: didn't really know any better lol... it said daily afterall!
I am soooooo loving this new do

GRU
November 16th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I think it was just really dry before, and the hydration is making it appear richer.

I think that might be at play for a lot of folks here... either hydrated hair looking "darker" or shinier hair looking "lighter".

And don't feel bad on the shampoo.... BTDT myself! :o

StraduX
November 16th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I have been COing for 4 months now, and my oil production is just starting to get under control primarily because only recently have I focused less on my scalp when washing. I think that I had been removing almost as many oils by scrubbing as when I was shampooing. Now I just try to wash all of my hair except the first half inch of my roots, so I don't have a greasy look, and my scalp is still reducing its production to natural levels. Just an idea/tip for anyone who has a similar problem.

Coan-Teen
November 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Huh. That is strange. You might be right, GRU. I'll be sure to let everyone know what happens when I clarify.

terrylillyd
November 16th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Newbie CO washer! I just joined this community today, and I am loving reading all the information and threads. 12 days of CO only! I did research before I started, and I was prepared to go through 4-6 weeks of being greasy. I was greasy for the first few days, but now my hair has turned dry. More dry then it was before. I wasn't really expecting that. Not sure what that means, but I am prepared to wait it out if that is what I need to do.

Coan-Teen
November 16th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Newbie CO washer! I just joined this community today, and I am loving reading all the information and threads. 12 days of CO only! I did research before I started, and I was prepared to go through 4-6 weeks of being greasy. I was greasy for the first few days, but now my hair has turned dry. More dry then it was before. I wasn't really expecting that. Not sure what that means, but I am prepared to wait it out if that is what I need to do.

There's a great article on diagnosing hair problems if you think the dryness might be a side effect. You should check it out.

kabelaced
November 18th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Update: Tried Garnier Triple Nutrition a few weeks ago, and it works...

However, I think that it's causing the severe acne I've had lately. (It's either that or coconut oil, but I've recently been washing with GVP Biolage, and my face has been looking a little better, so I'm thinking it's the Garnier.)

So, I'm going to keep using the Biolage, even though I'm not too fond of the smell...it's super moisturizing. Also thinking about trying Tressemme, so I have some variety. :)

Still using the Kinky-Curly Knot Today as my leave in. That stuff rocks my world! :D

firefly42
November 18th, 2010, 09:34 AM
i've been CO washing for about a week now and i think i'm gonna have to shampoo once a week as my hair has gotten flatter and flatter on my head (and it's straight and fine to begin with) but for the first time in FOREVER my ends don't feel like straw, which is awesome!

Coan-Teen
November 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM
All right, so an update on my color change. I did a clarifying wash with Garnier Fructisse Body Boost mixed with a teaspoon of baking soda. My color is back to it's former self with no noticeable dryness. I think the conditioner I'm using is leaving a lot of build-up so I may switch as soon as I run out of this one (VO5 Repair & Protect).

GRU
November 18th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Update: Tried Garnier Triple Nutrition a few weeks ago, and it works...

However, I think that it's causing the severe acne I've had lately. (It's either that or coconut oil, but I've recently been washing with GVP Biolage, and my face has been looking a little better, so I'm thinking it's the Garnier.)

Don't be so quick to blame the GTN -- I believe that ktani posted once that coconut oil is one of the highest oils on the comedogenic list... yep, I just found it myself (gotta love Google!): http://www.soapnuts.com/noncomo.html

Gilly
November 18th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Well, I have been COing all week and I am pretty happy with it!:cheese: I normally get annoyed an reach for the shampoo after 2 days as its got too greasy but this time I seem to have cracked it! I am going to keep going as long as I can as my hair loves the extra moisture.
I am using Natures gate Aloe conditioner

luxepiggy
November 18th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Hurrah! Hair fixed, back to happy little piggy (^(oo)^)

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/dancingpig.gif

GRU
November 18th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Hurrah! Hair fixed, back to happy little piggy (^(oo)^)

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/dancingpig.gif

What did you end up doing to it, Oinkers? Different product? Different technique? Clarified?

luxepiggy
November 19th, 2010, 04:58 AM
What did you end up doing to it, Oinkers? Different product? Different technique? Clarified?

It was a pretty quick fix - shampooed (not clarifying, just my old Pantene), then followed up with my normal CO routine (Fekkai on the roots, Pantene on the length). Got out of the shower with happy hair!

More importantly, I think I figured out what went wrong to cause the flakes. I was in a big rush on Saturday, and I have a feeling I *might* have accidentally used my Pantene conditioner, which is way heavier, for all of my hair. To make matters worse, I also probably didn't rinse as thoroughly as I normally would, since I was rushing to get out of the house. Whoops! (^(oo)^)

GRU
November 19th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Sounds like you solved the mystery, then! :cheer:

Nobody
November 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I'm new to this community and didn't even realize people break the classic shampoo/conditioner routine. After reading all your posts, I decided to try CO for myself this week since I don't yet have time to explore other methods. My hair is already so much shinier that I get distracted by it! Thanks everyone!!

whiteisle
November 19th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Just reporting in that Suave Apple rocks! =) It cleans really well but what I 'm most impressed with is that it rinses out really easily and pretty thoroughly. I follow with Garnier TN as always and as always with CO I end up with fantabulous hair! :D

RadiantNeedle
November 19th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Can I still call it CO if I mix 1/2 - 1 teaspoon into my conditioner each time? I seem to be getting the best results this way. I stir it up really well till its like a mousse, then use it on my roots and a few inches past roots, then regular conditioner for the length.

chelles2kids
November 19th, 2010, 06:09 PM

As stated previously by someone above me...this *could* be health related.

*BUT* it could also be related to the types of conditioner that you're using...yes, certain conditioners, those with protein can dry the hair out rather than give it more moisture.

A couple of quick things:
1) You need a fairly 'thin' conditioner, that's why most people who CO with success use either White Rain, VO5 or Suave.

2) There are conditioners out there are more 'cleansing' for you're scalp than others.

3) You need to use A.L.O.T. of the conditioner on you're scalp and make sure you wash you're scalp as you would if you were using shampoo. (By guestimating I would say that I easily use 1-1.5 cups of conditioner if not more)

4) You need to really **over rinse** you're hair, it takes alot of rinsing to make sure you've gotten rid of all of the conditioner from you're scalp. (At minimum you need to rinse until the water is completely clear of conditioner bubbles, then rinse a bit longer)

5) Then you'll need to add you're normal conditioner and rinse again as you would had you shampooed/conditioned. Again, make sure that you're 2nd conditioner doesn't contain protiens or any drying ingredients.

And then after all of that...some peoples hair just doesn't take well to CO'ing washing, no matter what they do. It's really just an experimenting thing.

Please give us an update if you have time and let us know how you're hair is doing now. I'm sure you're info. will be very helpful to someone else with possibly the same problems.

chelles2kids
November 19th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I'm new to this community and didn't even realize people break the classic shampoo/conditioner routine. After reading all your posts, I decided to try CO for myself this week since I don't yet have time to explore other methods. My hair is already so much shinier that I get distracted by it! Thanks everyone!!

:flowers::waving:WELCOME to LHC!! So glad you joined us!
I'm happy to hear that CO'ing is working so well for you.

CWC was probably the very first routine that I tried but then quickly went to CO'ing when I found out how much it seems to help with moisture problems, which I always seem to struggle with, plus it was the middle of winter when I joined, so it couldn't of come at a better time.:p

Would you care to share the products you're using??
This might come in handy for someone else who might be thinking of going the CO'ing route.;)

autumnchild
November 19th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Today was my 2nd day of CO washing.. I am new to LHC, and finding a lot of great info... Thanks to all for sharing such great tips.
I think if my hair/scalp allows me to, I would :heartbeat:heartbeat to stick with CO washing...

Nobody
November 19th, 2010, 08:05 PM
:flowers::waving:WELCOME to LHC!! So glad you joined us!
I'm happy to hear that CO'ing is working so well for you.

CWC was probably the very first routine that I tried but then quickly went to CO'ing when I found out how much it seems to help with moisture problems, which I always seem to struggle with, plus it was the middle of winter when I joined, so it couldn't of come at a better time.:p

Would you care to share the products you're using??
This might come in handy for someone else who might be thinking of going the CO'ing route.;)

I'm using Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship conditioner. I'm not really sure of all the stuff I should be looking at avoiding (I started with this because I have many bottles of it left) but this is the ingredients list:

water, stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, rubus idaeus (raspberry) juice, hydrolyzed silk, glutamic acid, bis-aminopropyl dimethicone, fragrance, benzyl alcohol, edta, citric acid, propylene glycol, sodium chloride, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, red 33.

chelles2kids
November 19th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I'm using Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship conditioner. I'm not really sure of all the stuff I should be looking at avoiding (I started with this because I have many bottles of it left) but this is the ingredients list:

water, stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, rubus idaeus (raspberry) juice, hydrolyzed silk, glutamic acid, bis-aminopropyl dimethicone, fragrance, benzyl alcohol, edta, citric acid, propylene glycol, sodium chloride, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, red 33.

Alot of people use the HE line and are very happy with the results...ty for sharing!;)

As far as the ingredients...I see it has a 'cone (bis-aminopropyl dimethicone) and as a general rule, anything that ends in 'cone can sometimes over time cause build-up. Not on everybody but some people experience it.
So if at any time you're hair starts looking limp, or feeling "coated" then it might be time to clarify.

Not saying you'll have any of these problems but just giving you a heads up so that you'll know what the problem is. Sometimes it's not the routine (CO) but the type of products we're using that begins to cause us problems. :)

cariboo
November 20th, 2010, 01:45 AM
My hair is already so much shinier that I get distracted by it! Thanks everyone!!

Right, you've inspired me - I'm going to be brave & try this today for the first time :) eep!

Nobody
November 20th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Alot of people use the HE line and are very happy with the results...ty for sharing!;)

As far as the ingredients...I see it has a 'cone (bis-aminopropyl dimethicone) and as a general rule, anything that ends in 'cone can sometimes over time cause build-up. Not on everybody but some people experience it.
So if at any time you're hair starts looking limp, or feeling "coated" then it might be time to clarify.

Not saying you'll have any of these problems but just giving you a heads up so that you'll know what the problem is. Sometimes it's not the routine (CO) but the type of products we're using that begins to cause us problems. :)

Gotcha! I will probably look for White Rain or something when I run out of HE but overall, the Long Term Relationship line of HE product has been pretty good for me. My hair is always flat and limp regardless. For my high school yearbook, I tried getting my hair done professionally, curls and all, and the curls fell limp within a few minutes. I'm more worried about buildup causing hair to weigh more and be more likely to fall out, since I just recovered from hairloss issues. Should I keep an eye out or is that a baseless worry?

Right, you've inspired me - I'm going to be brave & try this today for the first time :) eep!

Let us know how it goes!!

GRU
November 20th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Just had to share this.... the wavies / wurlies / curlies amongst us can probably relate! :lol:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/cowashing.jpg

luxepiggy
November 20th, 2010, 06:20 PM
HAHAHA that is SO CUTE!!! (^(oo)^)

Just had to share this.... the wavies / wurlies / curlies amongst us can probably relate! :lol:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/cowashing.jpg

Dana
November 21st, 2010, 09:19 AM
I am still trying to find my routine. I started with CWC, then tried CO, then back to CWC, then tried to transition in to WO. Now I'm considering CO again for the winter.

I have a strong suspicion that CO will work great for met in the winter and CWC might work best during the summer months.

I also love Cinnamon's web site and get inspired by her hair! I notice that she puts her CO conditioner on at the same time as the one on her length. Then she puts it all up in a shower cap and, finally, rinses her scalp then length.

My hair isn't even BSL length yet, so I'm trying to figure out how one would rinse just your scalp hair without the length?

My two largest problems (in the past) with COing are my husband's fragrance allergies and how long it takes in the shower. I've been thinking that if I rinse long enough maybe his allergies won't be as bad, and maybe I need to CO in the evenings? I don't want to get up an hour earlier just to do my hair.

smilinjenn71
November 21st, 2010, 04:08 PM
Any thoughts or experiences with Clarifying Conditioner? I'm not really sure what the difference is in Clarifying and just regular condish. I usually use Suave or something cheaply equivalent...lol!

Anyway, today I used a Clarifying Condish after doing root only Henna. It smells great but I'm not sure what it's supposed to do, if anything???

GRU
November 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM
My two largest problems (in the past) with COing are my husband's fragrance allergies and how long it takes in the shower. I've been thinking that if I rinse long enough maybe his allergies won't be as bad, and maybe I need to CO in the evenings? I don't want to get up an hour earlier just to do my hair.

I don't really see why CO-washing would take much more time than any other kind of washing. Because I'm a curly, I detangle in the shower with conditioner, but that doesn't really add to my prep-time because I used to brush (rip) out my tangles before my shower -- I just changed the location of the detangling (and reduced the damage thereof) without really changing the time investment all that much.

I typically use the same conditioner for everything, so I get in the shower, wet my hair, apply conditioner, scrub my scalp, finger-comb, detangle with wide-toothed comb (adding more conditioner as necessary), then let the conditioner sit there on my head while I wash my body, then rinse. Even if I used two different conditioners, it's really not much different than if I washed first with shampoo and then rinsed and then applied conditioner.

liagibba
November 21st, 2010, 06:54 PM
I also love Cinnamon's web site and get inspired by her hair! I notice that she puts her CO conditioner on at the same time as the one on her length. Then she puts it all up in a shower cap and, finally, rinses her scalp then length.
This is how I've always done it and I've had great results.

You could try using an diluted ACV rinse to help quell the scent of the conditioner. I tried ACV for the first time yesterday and it worked great! Both the scent of the conitioner and the vinegar were rinsed completely from my hair.

Aliped
November 21st, 2010, 07:07 PM
I found COing very convenient.

First thing in the morning,I would wet my hair upside down over the side of the tub. Then add the light, runny conditioner, massage my scalp well, add the heavy conditioner to the length, put on a shower cap. Then go eat breakfast and get ready for my day. After 10-15 minutes, or when ever most convenient. I would get into the shower, ready to rinse off the conditioner and shower as normal. This only added a few extra minutes to my normal morning routine. It worked realy well, as far as cleaning was concerned, but it was very very flat :(

luxepiggy
November 22nd, 2010, 02:08 AM

I don't really see why CO-washing would take much more time than any other kind of washing. Because I'm a curly, I detangle in the shower with conditioner, but that doesn't really add to my prep-time because I used to brush (rip) out my tangles before my shower -- I just changed the location of the detangling (and reduced the damage thereof) without really changing the time investment all that much.

I typically use the same conditioner for everything, so I get in the shower, wet my hair, apply conditioner, scrub my scalp, finger-comb, detangle with wide-toothed comb (adding more conditioner as necessary), then let the conditioner sit there on my head while I wash my body, then rinse. Even if I used two different conditioners, it's really not much different than if I washed first with shampoo and then rinsed and then applied conditioner.

Actually, CO was taking me quite a bit longer than shampoo: first because it takes longer to make sure it's well distributed (since it doesn't foam up and get all sudsy like shampoo), and second because it's a lot harder to rinse! Before when I was using shampoo, I only applied conditioner to the length, which was a lot easier to rinse out than when it's all over my scalp (^(oo)^)v

However, I've started using a little trick that speeds up the process quite a bit. Now I mix my Fekkai with a bit of water in an empty bottle, and give it a few vigorous shakes. That makes it nice and foamy, and I just squirt it over my hair that way. Much faster, and saves on conditioner too (^(oo)^)

Angel_Abby
November 22nd, 2010, 05:27 AM
Any thoughts or experiences with Clarifying Conditioner? I'm not really sure what the difference is in Clarifying and just regular condish. I usually use Suave or something cheaply equivalent...lol!

Anyway, today I used a Clarifying Condish after doing root only Henna. It smells great but I'm not sure what it's supposed to do, if anything???

I'm not sure what it 'does' either! :) I use it because I needed a break from the Suave Coconut- which is really thick to me. The Daily Clarifying is a little thinner, the smell is clean and fresh. Plus, I am having to wash my scalp twice a week with a medicated shampoo-- and the coconut made my scalp itchy when I followed the shampoo with it. So I set my Coconut aside for a few weeks while I am treating my stupid scalp!:p

Carolyn
November 22nd, 2010, 06:38 AM
My understanding is a "clarifying conditioner" is one that is made to go along with a clarifying shampoo. The clarifying conditioner does not clarify the hair. That's what the shampoo does. Clarifying means stripping hair of build up and gunk that has accumulated from various products over time. That will usually dry the hair out quite a bit. Clarifying is pretty harsh as it need to be to get the job done. We know here at LHC that after a clarifying wash, we need to add the moisture back in to the hair. I have no idea if the matching conditioners are meant to be extra conditioning or not. In my experience they aren't. They are just ordinary, everyday conditioners. So it's fine to use a clarifying conditioner for CO washing, just don't expect it to do more than an other conditioner.

Luna12345
November 22nd, 2010, 07:10 AM
Sounds like maybe you were getting some sort of a buildup, which can make the hair feel dry and tangly? Which conditioner were you using?

I was using tresemme naturals-silicone free conditioner
and sometimes the live clean conditioner

GRU
November 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
I was using tresemme naturals-silicone free conditioner
and sometimes the live clean conditioner

Wouldn't it be nice if our hair would send us an email saying, "I like this and I don't like that"? Or if EVERYONE'S hair always reacted the same way to each product? The whole trial-and-error thing can drive you batty trying to figure out what your hair does and doesn't like!

Glad that you were able to find a solution that made your hair happy!

GRU
November 22nd, 2010, 10:44 AM
Actually, CO was taking me quite a bit longer than shampoo: first because it takes longer to make sure it's well distributed (since it doesn't foam up and get all sudsy like shampoo), and second because it's a lot harder to rinse! Before when I was using shampoo, I only applied conditioner to the length, which was a lot easier to rinse out than when it's all over my scalp (^(oo)^)v

However, I've started using a little trick that speeds up the process quite a bit. Now I mix my Fekkai with a bit of water in an empty bottle, and give it a few vigorous shakes. That makes it nice and foamy, and I just squirt it over my hair that way. Much faster, and saves on conditioner too (^(oo)^)

Ah, that's where the difference is. Back when I still shampooed my hair, I would apply conditioner to my entire head too, so there was no difference in rinsing time from S&C to CO-washing for me. And since I just use one product for both cleansing and conditioning, I cut out an entire step in the process, too.

Also, even though I use what most consider to be a pretty "thin" conditioner to begin with (Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut), I still dilute it so it's even runnier, which allows for faster application, faster rinsing, and longer product life.

The soap/shampoo/conditioner companies must hate people like me who add water to their products! I even make my own "foaming hand soap" refills -- I buy one foaming soap product (typically Dial Complete) in order to get the pump, and when it's empty, I add a couple dollops of regular old liquid soap [which I usually purchase in a huge gallon jug at Sam's Club] and then fill the container up the rest of the way with water. I figure I can make a quart of "foaming refill" for about ten cents, instead of spending $8.00 for a bottle of it at the store. :rolleyes:

smilinjenn71
November 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
My understanding is a "clarifying conditioner" is one that is made to go along with a clarifying shampoo. The clarifying conditioner does not clarify the hair. That's what the shampoo does. Clarifying means stripping hair of build up and gunk that has accumulated from various products over time. That will usually dry the hair out quite a bit. Clarifying is pretty harsh as it need to be to get the job done. We know here at LHC that after a clarifying wash, we need to add the moisture back in to the hair. I have no idea if the matching conditioners are meant to be extra conditioning or not. In my experience they aren't. They are just ordinary, everyday conditioners. So it's fine to use a clarifying conditioner for CO washing, just don't expect it to do more than an other conditioner.

OK cool - thank you for the information!:flower:

Also, even though I use what most consider to be a pretty "thin" conditioner to begin with (Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut), I still dilute it so it's even runnier, which allows for faster application, faster rinsing, and longer product life.

GRU, do you find that the thinned version cleans just as well? I'm struggling with the greasies right now but find that even diluted shampoo is making my scalp itchy/dry feeling. (I think some of that is seasons changing) Anyway, the dryness causes more oil production I'm sure! So maybe I should give diluted conditioner a go.(??)

GRU
November 22nd, 2010, 08:00 PM
GRU, do you find that the thinned version cleans just as well? I'm struggling with the greasies right now but find that even diluted shampoo is making my scalp itchy/dry feeling. (I think some of that is seasons changing) Anyway, the dryness causes more oil production I'm sure! So maybe I should give diluted conditioner a go.(??)

My scalp is prone to huge scabby flakes (seborrheic dermatitis), and since I've been CO-washing my scabs have actually decreased rather than increasing. I believe that the amount of scrubbing (with my fingerpads, never my nails) is the key -- when I shampooed my hair, I relied on the chemicals to do the work and didn't pay attention to my scrubbing action. Now that I CO-wash, I'm more careful to make sure that I agitate my entire scalp, and it's actually cleaner than when I used shampoo.

So yes, I find that diluted Suave conditioner is still cleansing enough, even with my scalp's tendency towards ickiness. You can also try using coconut oil or sweet almond oil on your scalp, to see if that helps.

luxepiggy
November 22nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
My scalp is prone to huge scabby flakes (seborrheic dermatitis), and since I've been CO-washing my scabs have actually decreased rather than increasing. I believe that the amount of scrubbing (with my fingerpads, never my nails) is the key -- when I shampooed my hair, I relied on the chemicals to do the work and didn't pay attention to my scrubbing action. Now that I CO-wash, I'm more careful to make sure that I agitate my entire scalp, and it's actually cleaner than when I used shampoo.

So yes, I find that diluted Suave conditioner is still cleansing enough, even with my scalp's tendency towards ickiness. You can also try using coconut oil or sweet almond oil on your scalp, to see if that helps.

Quick interjection from Oinkers for those who want to try this - try to avoid getting it on your forehead! I had my first breakout in years the first time I applied oil to my scalp - whoops (^(oo)^)

GRU
November 22nd, 2010, 08:24 PM
Quick interjection from Oinkers for those who want to try this - try to avoid getting it on your forehead! I had my first breakout in years the first time I applied oil to my scalp - whoops (^(oo)^)

For those whose skin is so inclined, sweet almond oil would be a better choice than coconut oil. Coconut oil is highly comedogenic, whereas sweet almond oil is much less so.

Angel_Abby
November 23rd, 2010, 10:51 AM

I followed your advice for two weeks and my scalp is MUCH improved. I am still looking for an appropriate bottle to dilute my Coconut conditioner in... but in the meantime straight Daily Clarifying is thin enough to get it done.

That plus agitating the scalp and thorough rinses has worked wonders. It was like my scalp was upset when I used just the medicated shampoo. It was dry and itchy, plus my hair looked like crap.:mad: I added a CO right after and BAM! All is right again.

Now if I can stop picking, I bet my 'flare up' would go completely away. As it is, I am down to 3 sores. :)

GRU
November 23rd, 2010, 11:24 AM
I followed your advice for two weeks and my scalp is MUCH improved. I am still looking for an appropriate bottle to dilute my Coconut conditioner in... but in the meantime straight Daily Clarifying is thin enough to get it done.

That plus agitating the scalp and thorough rinses has worked wonders. It was like my scalp was upset when I used just the medicated shampoo. It was dry and itchy, plus my hair looked like crap.:mad: I added a CO right after and BAM! All is right again.

Now if I can stop picking, I bet my 'flare up' would go completely away. As it is, I am down to 3 sores. :)

I'm so glad to hear about your progress! :cheese: :cheer:

As for diluting, just about anything with an easily-removable squeeze lid will work. You can get a color applicator bottle (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Color-Applicator-Bottle/SBS-198080,default,pd.html) at a beauty supply store, but you can also use things you might already have around the house -- a ketchup bottle (http://overruledblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/ketchup.jpg), commercial mustard bottle (http://www.marls.org/images/frenchs_mustard_bottle.jpg), generic mustard (or ketchup) bottle (http://blog.cleveland.com/lifestyles/2008/07/medium_mustard%20bottle), a dishwashing soap bottle (http://thedealdetector.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/dawn.jpg), etc. I've even used an old bottle of ice cream topping (http://www.simplyhomemade.ca/images/products/sm-sundae.jpg) for my catnip rinses before! :D

Now, keep your fingers off your scalp and all will be right with the world!!!! :p

Angel_Abby
November 23rd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Now, keep your fingers off your scalp and all will be right with the world!!!! :p

LOL- I know. I need to take up crocheting again or something. Or else glue all my fingers together...:p

luxepiggy
November 23rd, 2010, 01:48 PM
I'm so glad to hear about your progress! :cheese: :cheer:

As for diluting, just about anything with an easily-removable squeeze lid will work. You can get a color applicator bottle (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Color-Applicator-Bottle/SBS-198080,default,pd.html) at a beauty supply store, but you can also use things you might already have around the house -- a ketchup bottle (http://overruledblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/ketchup.jpg), commercial mustard bottle (http://www.marls.org/images/frenchs_mustard_bottle.jpg), generic mustard (or ketchup) bottle (http://blog.cleveland.com/lifestyles/2008/07/medium_mustard%20bottle), a dishwashing soap bottle (http://thedealdetector.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/dawn.jpg), etc. I've even used an old bottle of ice cream topping (http://www.simplyhomemade.ca/images/products/sm-sundae.jpg) for my catnip rinses before! :D

I just use the previous empty conditioner bottle - then you don't even have to clean it out first! I'm lazy like that (^(oo)~)

cariboo
November 23rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
Right: its only been 4 days, so I don't suppose I can draw ANY meaningful conclusions whatsoever.. but... have co washed my hair every morning with faith in nature seaweed conditioner (putting it on dilute onto dry hair, leaving it to do its thing for 10-15mins & then rinsing off before conditioning again as normal) and so far so good - the texture of my hair is different, not so loose but softer, but it doesn't look or feel unwashed, which was what I was concerned about. I slept with coconut oil on my hair last night and then CWCed this morning, and today my hair is super soft and shiny :) VERY HAPPY :) - I'm going to try to stick to the same routine for the next week & see what happens

Hurrah!

kabelaced
November 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Don't be so quick to blame the GTN -- I believe that ktani posted once that coconut oil is one of the highest oils on the comedogenic list... yep, I just found it myself (gotta love Google!): http://www.soapnuts.com/noncomo.html

Thanks! I came on some information a few days ago in another thread about that; I just love the way coconut oil makes my hair shine...

This horrible acne is really bothering me, though, so I'm thinking of going back to either olive oil (when my hair gets longer, I think; it worked well back then) or sunflower/safflower oil. The only problem is that I can't find either anywhere, not even at the dollar store :(

Thank you for your help, though, GRU!! :D

GRU
November 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
LOL- I know. I need to take up crocheting again or something. Or else glue all my fingers together...:p

Maybe you could work on your braiding skills? That way you still get to play with your hair, but just not your scalp? :shrug:

I just use the previous empty conditioner bottle - then you don't even have to clean it out first! I'm lazy like that (^(oo)~)

Unfortunately, Suave bottles don't have a lid that comes off and goes back on easily. It *can* be done, but it's a major PITA and often results in broken fingernails, etc. (They have the type that you have to "pop" off instead of unscrewing them.)

I've been known to save other conditioner bottles just for the lids before, though... :o

VERY HAPPY :) - I'm going to try to stick to the same routine for the next week & see what happens

And we've lured another one over to The Dark Side.... :luke:

Thank you for your help, though, GRU!! :D

You're welcome, hon! Try Sweet Almond Oil, if you can find some. My hair *loves* SAO, and it's on the low side of the comedogenic list!

AnnaJamila
November 23rd, 2010, 04:42 PM
Where do ya'll find catnip for rinses?! I have tons o cats but we never have catnip... And I'd love to try it on my face/hair... Help porfavor!!!

GRU
November 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
Where do ya'll find catnip for rinses?! I have tons o cats but we never have catnip... And I'd love to try it on my face/hair... Help porfavor!!!

I got mine from ebay: http://shop.ebay.com/catey/m.html

luxepiggy
November 23rd, 2010, 09:39 PM
I read in a couple of recent threads that some people CO wash by applying the conditioner to dry hair before getting in the shower, leaving it on for awhile, then rinsing in the shower - are there specific reasons to choose one or the other? Or is it just a matter of personal preference?

tigerlily38
November 23rd, 2010, 10:06 PM
Me! I've been CO for a year and stay away from silicones. (My impression was that if you used silicone conditioners as CO that you run the risk of buildup?)

My favorites are Suave Naturals Coconut and Devacurl No-Poo.

I second Suave Naturals Coconut :)

cariboo
November 25th, 2010, 12:55 PM
[quote=GRU;1352727
And we've lured another one over to The Dark Side.... :luke:
[/quote]

lol :) I am glad to be lured! :)

milagro
November 26th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Hello everybody! I've been lurking here for a while, read quite a part of the thread (not all of these 197 pages, though). I am thinking of going CO but I am a bit puzzled about routine. Do you all CO daily? You have to blow dry it daily, too? My problem is I try to avoid blowdrying my hair 'cause it hates heat big time. Normally I wash my hair two times a week and let it air-dry, and it takes about two hours. So it's gonna be a bit time consuming as daily thing.

Also, I have used 'cone products for a long time (I was shocked when I checked and found ALL of my hair products inc. poo, contain dimethicone and likes), do you think I need clarifying wash before I start COing? Can I do it with a gentle non-SLS poo or is it not enough?

Thanks a lot for your tips!

luxepiggy
November 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Hello everybody! I've been lurking here for a while, read quite a part of the thread (not all of these 197 pages, though). I am thinking of going CO but I am a bit puzzled about routine. Do you all CO daily? You have to blow dry it daily, too? My problem is I try to avoid blowdrying my hair 'cause it hates heat big time. Normally I wash my hair two times a week and let it air-dry, and it takes about two hours. So it's gonna be a bit time consuming as daily thing.

Also, I have used 'cone products for a long time (I was shocked when I checked and found ALL of my hair products inc. poo, contain dimethicone and likes), do you think I need clarifying wash before I start COing? Can I do it with a gentle non-SLS poo or is it not enough?

I've been CO washing every 2-3 days for about a month and a half now with coney conditioners. I didn't clarify before I started CO washing, nor have I done so to date. I did shampoo once with regular shampoo (the one that goes with one of the conditioners I use), due to my hair acting up because I hadn't rinsed thoroughly enough at the previous wash.

GRU
November 26th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Hello everybody! I've been lurking here for a while, read quite a part of the thread (not all of these 197 pages, though).

Hello, and welcome "aboard" the LHC train!

What? You didn't read all 197 pages? Why not? :lol:

Do you all CO daily?

I'm a curly, so I *have* to wet my curls if I want to wear my hair down. I might wear my hair up once or twice a week, but for the most part I wear my hair down, so I do CO-wash on what is basically a daily basis.

You have to blow dry it daily, too?

Oh good gracious no!!!! I maybe blow-dry my hair once or twice a YEAR anymore, and even then I probably only go about 50&#37; dry and always with diffuser and always with room-temperature air, then let it air-dry the rest of the way. The vast majority of LHCers -- whether CO-washers or Shampoo-washers or Water-Only-washers -- air dry their hair.

Normally I wash my hair two times a week and let it air-dry, and it takes about two hours. So it's gonna be a bit time consuming as daily thing.

You only have to CO-wash as often as you feel like it. It's basically the same thing as Shampoo-washing, only not as damaging (stripping) to your hair.

Everyone starting out has a bit of a trial-and-error period as well as a learning-curve period. Some products work better for some folks than for others. Some cones build up and some don't. Some are water-soluble and some aren't.

Here are some links that I have bookmarked that should give you an idea of what all goes into being a CO-washer. Hope this helps!

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/all-about-the-no-poo-routine-2

http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

http://clutchmagonline.com/beauty/no-poolow-poo-cleansing/

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products

That's what LHC is all about -- this is the nicest internet community ever!!!

luxepiggy
November 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM
(^(oo)^)>>*bump!* I'm a curious little piggy!

I read in a couple of recent threads that some people CO wash by applying the conditioner to dry hair before getting in the shower, leaving it on for awhile, then rinsing in the shower - are there specific reasons to choose one or the other? Or is it just a matter of personal preference?

milagro
November 26th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Wow, so quickly! Thank you GRU and luxepiggy!
*gone bouncing to read the links*

LisaMonster
November 27th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I've been CO washing for about two weeks now, and I'm generally liking it a lot. It hasn't been greasy at all, but is looking a little flat. Is this part of the transition period?

milagro
November 27th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Well. Fairy-haired Ladies I badly need your comfort. I've just had my first, or should I say zero CO.
I used Head&Shoulders shampoo as it was the only SLS one in my household. Gosh I hadn't used SLS poo for years and that was an experiment. I don't know if it's H&S being so harsh or just all the cones washed out and left my hair A Straw Mat! Then I applied conditioner (I found a cone-free mini in my muttom drawer) to the length and scalp and massaged and scrubbed for about three minutes, then rinsed for it looked like ages. But the strawiness remained and all my hair got tangled and matted, I couldn't even comb one finger through it. So I put another richer cond to the length, let it sit for a couple min and started rinsing. I managed to untangle the tresses but the hair still feels coarse and dry. The only good thing is my curls look more defined. And more thick if that makes sense...
Do you think it's SLS impact and my hair will restore in time if I CO? Or am I doomed to silicones?

milagro
November 27th, 2010, 10:41 AM
<Updating in process>
Funny but my hair is drying a bit more quickly than usual. As it dries it's not so scary anymore, it gets softer gradually. But no shine :(

DorothyAtForty
November 27th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I've been CO washing for about two weeks now, and I'm generally liking it a lot. It hasn't been greasy at all, but is looking a little flat. Is this part of the transition period?

I've been doing it for about the same amount of time with the same results. I'd also like to know is that part of the transition period?

chelles2kids
November 27th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I've been doing it for about the same amount of time with the same results. I'd also like to know is that part of the transition period?

It *could* be the type of conditioner that your using?
I've found when CO'ing that if I use a non-coney conditioner for my 1st condition & then follow up with a heavier, 'coney conditioner my hair seems to behave better.
My hair detangles much easier and seems to be less flyaway if I use a 'coney conditioner on my 2nd step of doing a CO washing.

But using 'cones, I still have to shampoo occasionally, or "clarify" in order to keep the balance so to speak.

I can usually tell when I need to shampoo/clarify, when my hair starts getting a bit frizzier than normal, looking "limp" as LisaMonster mentioned, it's looking dry, or feeling crunchy, instead of soft & shiny.

Milagro...it sounds to me like the Head & Shoulders was entirely too strong for your hair type. Also, it's completely ok to do a diluted shampoo of some sort the next time you need to clarify.
As for 'cones? My hair isn't happy without them sadly...I've tried going the no-cone route before and it just didn't work out for me.

milagro
November 27th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks Chelles2kids! I guess I really could do with a cone or two from ears down :) now that my hair is amost dry (btw it is a long-term record, it proves cones do keep moisture within or rather wrap an individulal hair) it is soft, has more body, more defined curl, no limp at all but is positively not so shiny as it used to be when cone-loaded. A lot of little flyaways and a hint of frizz, too. Maybe it's due to the poo.
I am hesitant. I think I will give CO a fair try and see if it works, cone-free. I suspect I just over-coned my hair and scalp during those years and needed to clarify and give it a break to restore the hair structure. Anyway I can go back to cones any moment if I feel like it :) Thank to this board now I know I need to remove build-up if I used such products. So stupid I didn't know that before! I thought if I shampoo my hair it removes any kind of residue. But even my poo was coney, conditioner and styling staff times so :) No wonder my hair was weighed down and dull.

So I understand you use cones and just throw in a poo once in a while to get rid of them. I think I could do this way, too. Do you think a milder non-SLS (cocomido-something based) would be enough to clarify?

chelles2kids
November 27th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Do you think a milder non-SLS (cocomido-something based) would be enough to clarify?

Yes, defiantely something milder. ;)

luxepiggy
November 27th, 2010, 06:29 PM

You might want to try clarifying - I actually clarified for the first time last night because my hair was also looking a bit limp and laying very flat on my scalp, and it helped a lot. I loaded up on a super-moisturizing treatment afterwards which I think was a good thing - after I got out of the shower, my fingertips were so dry, they started peeling until I put cuticle cream on them! Guess that clarifying shampoo is strong stuff! (^(oo)^)

Well. Fairy-haired Ladies I badly need your comfort. I've just had my first, or should I say zero CO.
I used Head&Shoulders shampoo as it was the only SLS one in my household. Gosh I hadn't used SLS poo for years and that was an experiment. I don't know if it's H&S being so harsh or just all the cones washed out and left my hair A Straw Mat! Then I applied conditioner (I found a cone-free mini in my muttom drawer) to the length and scalp and massaged and scrubbed for about three minutes, then rinsed for it looked like ages. But the strawiness remained and all my hair got tangled and matted, I couldn't even comb one finger through it. So I put another richer cond to the length, let it sit for a couple min and started rinsing. I managed to untangle the tresses but the hair still feels coarse and dry. The only good thing is my curls look more defined. And more thick if that makes sense...
Do you think it's SLS impact and my hair will restore in time if I CO? Or am I doomed to silicones?

There's nothing inherently wrong with silicones you know . . . if they work for your hair there's no need to ditch them, it's not like heat styling which is categorically damaging for your hair . . . JMHO (^(oo)^)v

Capybara
November 27th, 2010, 06:42 PM
(^(oo)^)>>*bump!* I'm a curious little piggy!

From what I understand, this does a few things. Firstly, it moisturizes the hair. Secondly, leaving the conditioner on for a longer period of time helps remove oils, products, etc. more efficiently than applying the conditioner to wet hair for only a short period of time.

For me personally, (I CO wash only every few washes, so I may not be the most reliable source of information about it ;) ) I find that applying the conditioner to damp hair and leaving it on for about 30 minutes gives me much softer hair than CO washing in the shower. Plus, it makes my hair much cleaner, that way - maybe the conditioner needs more time to cleanse the hair than shampoo?

The only reason I don't CO wash every time is because it takes so much longer than CWC, for me at least :shrug:

Hope this helps! :flower:

LisaMonster
November 27th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

I'm using Suave Naturals in rosemary mint, by the way.

Today, I tried putting a layer of condish on dry hair for about twenty minutes before washing, and for some reason that made the limpness/flatness go away for now. I am pretty flakey today, but I'm going to blame that on being away from home and unable to oil or ACV rinse.

GRU
November 27th, 2010, 08:21 PM

It could be transition, it could be the product you're using, or it could be build-up of some sort.

I'd suggest trying a different type of product first. You can also try plopping, if you don't already.

H&S is horribly strong stuff... I'd recommend giving yourself some sort of an acidic rinse to help restore the pH level in your hair (ACV, lemon, citric acid -- any kind of acid in water). Getting the cuticle to lay down again (with the acidic rinse) will restore a lot of your shine.

You might want to try clarifying - I actually clarified for the first time last night because my hair was also looking a bit limp and laying very flat on my scalp, and it helped a lot.

Oinkers, with your super-dee-duper straight hair, you may find that you need to throw in an occasional CWC. I've noticed that folks with straighter or finer hair seem to have more of a need for the occasional shampooing.

milagro
November 27th, 2010, 11:13 PM
H&S is horribly strong stuff... I'd recommend giving yourself some sort of an acidic rinse to help restore the pH level in your hair (ACV, lemon, citric acid -- any kind of acid in water). Getting the cuticle to lay down again (with the acidic rinse) will restore a lot of your shine.

Thanks but it's too late now :) I will keep it in mind for future.
My panic was mostly due to the break of habit, I suppose. That slippery feeling is an addiction. At the moment my hair is quite ok and doesn't feel coarse or dry, even at the ends, and has a nice natural shine.
I look forward to CO and cone-free routine! :cheese:

milagro
November 27th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Yes, defiantely something milder. ;)
Will they wash off silicones as well without SLS?

There's nothing inherently wrong with silicones you know . . . if they work for your hair there's no need to ditch them, it's not like heat styling which is categorically damaging for your hair . . . JMHO (^(oo)^)v
I couldn't agree more, heat styling kills my ends, I do it very very seldom.
About cones, I understand they are not hair godzillas but I see the difference in my curls now that I washed them out. Hair also looks thicker :confused: Maybe I just have to clarify regularly.

Anyway, guys, I'm so glad I found this place! I need to learn A LOT.

luxepiggy
November 28th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Oinkers, with your super-dee-duper straight hair, you may find that you need to throw in an occasional CWC. I've noticed that folks with straighter or finer hair seem to have more of a need for the occasional shampooing.
Good to know! I'll keep that in mind . . . hopefully over the next few months I'll get a good routine fine-tuned (^(oo)^)

Will they wash off silicones as well without SLS?

I couldn't agree more, heat styling kills my ends, I do it very very seldom.
About cones, I understand they are not hair godzillas but I see the difference in my curls now that I washed them out. Hair also looks thicker :confused: Maybe I just have to clarify regularly.

Anyway, guys, I'm so glad I found this place! I need to learn A LOT.

Ah, I didn't realize that you had some curl (^(oo)^)v As GRU mentioned, my hair is super-duper straight, which may be part of the reason I love cones so much :wannabe:

DorothyAtForty
November 28th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Thank you everyone for all your wonderful information! I realize I haven't clarified, so I'm going to definitely get on that and see if that was it. My roots are limp, but not my hair from the ears down.

It *could* be the type of conditioner that your using?
I've found when CO'ing that if I use a non-coney conditioner for my 1st condition & then follow up with a heavier, 'coney conditioner my hair seems to behave better.
My hair detangles much easier and seems to be less flyaway if I use a 'coney conditioner on my 2nd step of doing a CO washing.

Thank you, chelles2kids - After clarifying, I'll see if a 'coney conditioner will change things.

LisaMonster
November 28th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Spent a bulk of last night reading about "plopping."

What an ucky term, lol, but I'll be sure to try that the next time I wash. Thanks! :)

GRU
November 28th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Spent a bulk of last night reading about "plopping."

What an ucky term, lol, but I'll be sure to try that the next time I wash. Thanks! :)

It does sound like something a cow does out in the middle of a farmer's field, doesn't it? :lol:

Let us know how it works for you!

LisaMonster
November 28th, 2010, 04:58 PM
"Welp, I'm gonna go take a shower and PLOP!"

eek.

GRU
November 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM
"Welp, I'm gonna go take a shower and PLOP!"

eek.

Don't forget to wipe and flush? :shrug:

:lol:

Raventresses
November 28th, 2010, 08:02 PM
so... i've been CO washing for abt a month or so now. I like it enough, but i find that i have to wash more often than before. Like everyday now. I can't even wash at night because by morning my hair is greasy. The conditioners i've used to wash are cone free so i know that isn't the problem. I tried clarifying and it helped for a day or two but went right back to greasy. AND I've even noticed that my scalp has been breaking out a bit!! and i never break out!! Help! Is this just a transition or do I need to try something different??

kabelaced
November 28th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Coming by to update...

Bought Suave naturals shampoo on a whim a few days ago along with Tressemm&#233; Naturals (yes, I couldn't help myself)...CWC'd with Vo5, then very diluted Suave, then Tressemm&#233;. UGH!

I think I really am going to stick with CO indefinitely. I just love the softness and don't experience half the shedding I do when I shampoo. (Even the very diluted Suave left my hair feeling dry and very awful! I thought only my shikakai shampoo would make it feel so bad!) The Tressemm&#233; smelled really awful and didn't do a thing, so now I have two nearly full products sitting in my room that I don't know what to do with! :p What should I do?

For what it's worth, my go to's are VO5 Blackberry Sage Tea and GVP Biolage + ACV rinses. Love love love!! :love:

GRU
November 28th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Is this just a transition or do I need to try something different??

Either ... or both!

If you've not tried a different conditioner, that's where I'd start out.

Or, you may just have one of those heads that prefers CWC instead of CO-washing.

But I'd at least give a few more products a try before you decide. Try a product for two weeks and if things haven't gotten better, try a different one.

I think I really am going to stick with CO indefinitely.

Yes, we've sucked in another one! muahahahahaha :eyebrows:

now I have two nearly full products sitting in my room that I don't know what to do with! :p What should I do?

Your local homeless shelter and/or domestic violence shelter would LOVE to take them off your hands -- and you can get a tax write-off too!

luxepiggy
November 29th, 2010, 03:01 AM
so... i've been CO washing for abt a month or so now. I like it enough, but i find that i have to wash more often than before. Like everyday now. I can't even wash at night because by morning my hair is greasy. The conditioners i've used to wash are cone free so i know that isn't the problem. I tried clarifying and it helped for a day or two but went right back to greasy. AND I've even noticed that my scalp has been breaking out a bit!! and i never break out!! Help! Is this just a transition or do I need to try something different??

Are you making sure to get the conditioner all over and let it sit for a while? I noticed if I don't leave it on for long enough I get greasy faster (^(oo)^)

Deborah
November 29th, 2010, 10:14 AM

This is not actually CO washing, as you used shampoo. CO washing is washing using only conditioner, no shampoo.

Deborah
November 29th, 2010, 10:16 AM

I wash with CO just once a week. This works great for me.

cariboo
November 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I'm on week two of COing, although I am cheating a bit and doing one over-night coconut oil treatment & then CWC the next morning (previously S&C washed my hair every day or every other day, so this is still a pretty big change...) - I'm just wondering if anyone else is using oil with a CO routine? If so, how is this going and is there any way to do this without shampoo?