PDA

View Full Version : The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

LisaS
December 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I have been using the VO5 Tea Therapy and Kiwi Clarifying. I have also used Suave Coconut. I rinse very, very well. When I first started CO I could CO every other day and not be oily. Now, it gets yucky in a day and a half. Then I used Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo thinking build up was the problem. Took several days for the shampoo fragrance to disappear, it is not a pleasant scent. Went back to COing and I was good for maybe 10 days then grease city hit again. Now I use one pump of shampoo at the roots, it doesn't lather and then used one of the above conditioners once, leaving it in for 3-5 minutes and rinsing. I've been doing this about week and I have been able to wash every third day. Does CO not work for some people? Is there something else I should be trying? My kids shampoo and condish every 3-4 days and it never looks greasy or dirty.

Pear Martini
December 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I have a question :poot:

If you CO with coneless conditioners only and heat style, will it burn your hair more than if you were using cones?

I had great results COing with vo5 and suave but recently began heat styling again and out of fear of ruining my hair switched back to cones.

Thank you :cheese:

mitabird
December 27th, 2009, 08:07 AM
LisaS, how long are you leaving the CO on before you rinse? How well are you scrubbing?

LisaS
December 27th, 2009, 10:31 AM
LisaS, how long are you leaving the CO on before you rinse? How well are you scrubbing?

I leave the conditioner in 3-5 minutes. I believe I am scrubbing fairly well as I no longer get residue on my scalp like I used to.

CTH3989
January 4th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Do any of you use conditioner with cones?

Shicurls
January 5th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I had to go back to shampooing and conditioning everyday. My scalp is simply happier this way. I don't have flakes and I don't worry about pimples. So, I do a diluted shampoo and do mix conditioners. So, far so good, we'll se when I get any length on my scalp! LOL!

SlightlySoprano
January 8th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I think I have accidentally gone CO. This is definitely a good thing! I've been using white rain extra body to scrub my scalp and then garnier fructise triple moisture for an intense conditioner (only from the ears down). So far so good! Is there a transition period like there is for no 'poo to go CO? Should i be expecting a mega oily scalp for a few weeks?

RoseRedDead
January 8th, 2010, 12:46 PM
There might be a transition period, then again there might not be.

I have had dry hair in the past, and I don't remember much of a transition period (no super-oiliness or anything). Then again, my hair didn't look the greatest because I used a 'coney conditioner and didn't use a vinegar rinse.

You'll just have to wait and see.

As for me, I'm still going strong on CO. Hands down favourite washing method. Ever.

Lately, though, I've been lazy and have stretched my washes out to every 4 days or so, and sometimes when I've exercised and gotten my scalp sweaty, it would become itchy and have little scab-like thingies in places.

On Monday (or was it Tuesday?) I added 4 drops of Tea Tree Oil to the conditioner I used for my scalp (maybe 1/3 cup) and I've not had any itchiness. I think I will continue to do that if I ever feel the need for it...

boomtownrat
January 9th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Hi everybody! I started CO-washing almost two weeks ago and I think my dyed hair is much happier. I'm not dripping red in the shower, as I was doing even four weeks after a dye job when I was doing S/C. My hair is shedding a lot less and is generally shinier and softer. The natural wave is becoming more pronounced. I even think my complexion is improving and I haven't made any other changes that could explain that. Reading this thread all the way through was really helpful, but I have two questions about CO so far.

The last two washes, I've had some itching and tiny white flakes in the scalp. To preface this: I always massage it into my scalp as I'm applying it to wet hair, leave it on for at least three minutes, add a little water, and massage it thoroughly again before rinsing, which I do for at least two minutes. Three days ago I used Suave Naturals Fresh Mountain Strawberry for the wash and Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut on the ends for extra conditioning. After about 18 or so hours I had some flaking and itching in the scalp and the ends felt a little greasy, so I thought maybe I should have rinsed longer or just not paired those conditioners. Tonight I used Giovanni TTTT for the wash as well as a conditioning afterward, with a two-minute rinse. It feels clean and doesn't have any of the frizzy flyaways that I seem to get on the canopy from all the other conditioners I've tried, but the scalp is a little flaky and itchy. Now that I think about it more, it's been exceptionally cold this week, or (possible TMI) maybe my cycle is to blame. The first week I tried CO, I wasn't using a second conditioner and I didn't get any flaking, but I'm not adding the second conditioner to my scalp so I don't know if that would be causing it. (I started doing extra conditioning because I hoped it would stop those frizzy flyaways on the canopy.) Does anyone have suggestions?

My other question is, what can I put into my hair to smooth it after my hair is dry, without worrying about 'cones? I've been letting it air-dry and trying not to touch it while it's damp, but it's still happening. I saw that some people use shea butter or certain kinds of oils -- is that useful for the flyaways/frizzies?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Captain Nikki
January 9th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Aloe vera gel is absolutely brilliant for taming flyaways & frizzies. Makes the hair soft & is easily washed out.
As for the itching & flakes i can only suggest trying a different conditioner.

boomtownrat
January 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I just so happen to have some aloe vera gel from Trader Joe's. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

curlylocks85
January 10th, 2010, 08:47 PM

I do, Pantene.

MerryKat
January 11th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Last 2 CO I have mixed around 2 inches of Colgate Apple Conditioner, teaspoon Grapeseed Oil, teaspoon Aloe Vera Gel and couple of drops Glycerine.

I apply this to dry hair, massage in and leave on for about 10-20 min, rinse thoroughly. I use tiny amount Grapeseed Oil and Aloe Vera Gel as a leave in for the top front of my hair (where the worst flyaway's happen).

My hair has seemed much more moisturised and less fuzzy doing this.

Queen Olympias
January 18th, 2010, 05:56 PM
The jury is still out on CO washes for me. Plus, I am trying to go "cone free" so that could be a factor as well. Like some others, I have found that my hair does not stay clean as long when I CO wash. But I am still trying different CO methods - how long the conditioner sits on my scalp, how much to use, which conditioner to use (richer or not), etc. The options seem endless! This definitely takes some patience.

I think the Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner worked ok, and V05 Tea Therapy Chamomile. But I have only just started...

I think I would like to try applying the conditioner to dry hair (probably just the length) next. Thanks for all the information, guys.

Kalyca
January 19th, 2010, 03:32 PM
i wash almost everyday but I use shampoo too.. I do leave the conditioner in for like 5 maybe even 10 mins sometimes before rinsing. does anyone know if cheapy conditioners like VO5 or white rain would have a negative effect on henna'd hair? i'm worried that it might start fading my henna color or making it look dull? i don't know i've just read that people with henna'd hair should use really good quality, natural shampoos and conditioners with little or NO chemicals and of course these cheap ones have a lot of weird chemicals.. lol. does anyone else here henna their hair and use the CO washing method a lot/daily?

LadyJennifer
January 19th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I CO'd for the first time today. So far my hair feels great! We'll see what it does tomorrow.

violeteyes
January 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Alright, I have been watching this thread for a while now, because I am curious. Did any of you used to have oily, or even extremely oily hair before switching to CO? I have really oily hair that needs to be washed everyday, or else it looks gross! I am just wondering if maybe CO has cured, or at least helped, any oil control issues?

ravenreed
January 19th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I did. Apparently, I get rebound oiliness from SLS shampoos, even on my face. My hair went from being very oily looking within 24 hours to looking oily within 2 -3 days. It is not a HUGE amount, but enough that I can cut some of the time out of my showering and not have wet hair 20% of my day, which is about how long it takes my hair to dry.

I would also get a really strong smell to my scalp if I didn't wash every day. It took about a month for that smell to calm down, but now it doesn't pop up until about day 4.

I am very happy with CO, but I do occasionally supplement my routine with a shampoo bar scalp only wash or a dry shampoo. It does take me tons longer than my shampoo and conditioner routine. I put Suave on my hair thickly and let it sit while soaping up, then scrub a bit, rinse and do an ACV rinse. I rinse the ACV out, then do a catnip rinse. I put my conditioner with slip on over the catnip, and shave or what ever. Then I rinse the catnip and slippy conditioner out. It takes about twice as long as before and I live in a low water area. If I had to do that everyday, I wouldn't even try. I would be very happy if I could consistently go 3 days without a wash, but sometimes 2 days is the most I can do.

Alright, I have been watching this thread for a while now, because I am curious. Did any of you used to have oily, or even extremely oily hair before switching to CO? I have really oily hair that needs to be washed everyday, or else it looks gross! I am just wondering if maybe CO has cured, or at least helped, any oil control issues?

duckish
January 19th, 2010, 06:59 PM

I had an oily/itchy/dandruffy scalp and still only washed it every other day just because that was the absolute longest it could go without driving me insane. When I switched to CO (and started hennaing), my hair immediately became more managable, less itchy, I have less dandruff, and I can now wash only twice a week and have my hair look completely fabulous. I kind of completely love CO. :cheese:

I definitely also love henna, though. I definitely would not have seen all the benefits to my hair I have listed without it. Henna really, really helped with my itchy scalp. The color it goes also makes it so my hair doesn't look oily, even when I am going a little long without a wash. My natural hair color tended to look oily even if I had just stripped it down with industrial strength detergent. :mad:

So to sum up, yes. I have noticed a significant decrease in oil production. It now takes my head 3-5 days to produce the amount of oil it was previously producing in one day. Since it takes so much longer, brushing my hair out with a wooden brush (or comb) can help spread that oil around, too. Definitely a win-win for me.

I have no idea if you will have the same experience, of course, but it's probably worth a try!

violeteyes
January 19th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Thank you for the responses :) I'm a little afraid to try CO at the moment because I'm still in school, and I would hate to go with my hair looking gross, however long it would take to adjust. I am thinking for starting this up over summer.....but I think I still need to do some research and get more information!

jmallen62691
January 19th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Hello all. Just a quick question. I've always thought that conditioner made your hair more oily, not less. I'm confused. I'm trying to start only washing my hair once a week and today my hair is starting to get oily near the roots. Will washing with conditioner only help? Thanks. :]

Kristin
January 19th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I'm pretty new to CO washing. From what I understand (and have myself experienced), conditioners contain enough cleansing agents to cut through the oil on your scalp. You have to leave the conditioner in for awhile and be sure to massage it into your scalp.

Just CO'ed tonight with V05 Pomegranate and it smells soooo good!

jmallen62691
January 19th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I'm pretty new to CO washing. From what I understand (and have myself experienced), conditioners contain enough cleansing agents to cut through the oil on your scalp. You have to leave the conditioner in for awhile and be sure to massage it into your scalp.

Just CO'ed tonight with V05 Pomegranate and it smells soooo good!

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try. Also, do you condition all over, from roots to tips? Or just the roots?

valrhona
January 25th, 2010, 07:09 PM
You can do either or both -- depends on your hair type. There is a lot of room for experimentation with CO I've learned!

CTH3989
February 6th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I do, Pantene.

I use Pantene as well. I was hoping that I wasn't the only person.

AmericanWoman
February 6th, 2010, 11:48 PM
i wash almost everyday but I use shampoo too.. I do leave the conditioner in for like 5 maybe even 10 mins sometimes before rinsing. does anyone know if cheapy conditioners like VO5 or white rain would have a negative effect on henna'd hair? i'm worried that it might start fading my henna color or making it look dull? i don't know i've just read that people with henna'd hair should use really good quality, natural shampoos and conditioners with little or NO chemicals and of course these cheap ones have a lot of weird chemicals.. lol. does anyone else here henna their hair and use the CO washing method a lot/daily?

I use Vo5 mostly for CO. I usually follow with a more moisturising conditioner. According to Catherine on H4H, there is no need for conditioner on henned hair, but I haven't found that to be true for me. Henna isn't a chemical color, so you don't need "special" conditioners like with chemical dyes. And henna doesn't fade. lol I shampoo weekly or bi-weekly, depending on season.

AmericanWoman
February 6th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I finally got CO to work, thanks to tips in this thread. The first couple tries were a disaster-- it just became a gluey mass during the soak phase, and would not rinse out all the way. Someone here said to add a bit of water after the soak and 'lather' like shampoo. With that step, it finally acts like gentle shampoo.

This is what I do. I also add water to the conditioner bottle when there's just a little left in the bottle, shake it up and it works very well.

whiteisle
February 15th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I'm having troubles shaking the gunky-funky feeling of my hair since going CO. I've been doing this for a bit over 2.5 weeks straight this time around but I'm not liking the results much. My hair doesn't feel any more moisturized than it was with reg S&C and I swear the tangles are procreating!:p I've used different conditioners trying to find one that works but nothing yet. I follow with a second conditioning with GF Triple Nutrition and then either a light oil leave-in or a bit of the GFTN as leave-in. I've even tried no leave-in but I still get rough, gunky hair. And I do scrub well and I do rinse very, very well so that can't be it. I'm at a loss here. I'm not sure what to do. I even tried CO with a coney condish just to see and that definitely wasn't it.

Since using the coney conditioner I today washed with Dove Cool Moisture to clarify and did an SMT using the GFTN and my hair still dried to a yuck state. So I then rinsed it again and used a ACV rinse with distilled water. My hair is mostly dry now and feels quite a bit better - not great- but better. Lighter and not as gunky.

Should I take this a cue that CO just isn't for my hair? :confused: Or perhaps it just doesn't work with our water (it leans towards the hard side)?

frizzalot
February 15th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Should I take this a cue that CO just isn't for my hair? :confused: Or perhaps it just doesn't work with our water (it leans towards the hard side)?

I've been CO-ing for about 3months now and i've tried quite a few products. I found some left my hair dry, some oily looking and some flat/no volume.
Maybe the conditioner your using doesn't suit your hair type?

Try a few others before you give up, my hair was super dry before, once i found the right conditioners, its been much smoother and softer. :)

LadyJennifer
February 15th, 2010, 02:29 PM
whiteisle: maybe it was build-up? I always do an acv rinse now, and my hair seems much happier (whether I wash with CO, or IHW).

whiteisle
February 16th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I've been CO-ing for about 3months now and i've tried quite a few products. I found some left my hair dry, some oily looking and some flat/no volume.
Maybe the conditioner your using doesn't suit your hair type?

Try a few others before you give up, my hair was super dry before, once i found the right conditioners, its been much smoother and softer. :)

I've been using Suave thinking my hair would appreciate the heavier, perhaps more moisturizing, conditioner but I may have to try the V05 again. I have some but it just seemed to go so fast compared to the Suave. I'll try it again to see if I'm left with the gunk feeling. :)

whiteisle: maybe it was build-up? I always do an acv rinse now, and my hair seems much happier (whether I wash with CO, or IHW).

I think it was definitely build-up. After doing the ACV rinse things do feel considerably better. I may have to concede to doing one after each wash. My ends are still a bit "grabby" but that my be another matter, lol!

Squeaky
February 17th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I just did my first CO wash 2 nights ago and I am honestly pretty surprised. I thought by now for sure my head would be a ball of grease, but it actually took away pretty much all of the frizzies I had on the top of my head and no greasies as of yet! :D It looks nice and doesn't feel 'stripped', yet not greasy either. I used the VO5 Tea conditioner on my scalp and the VO5 Moisture Milk on the length, although I think I should find one more moisturizing for my ends (still a bit frizzy there).

I've heard people say that you should always moisturize your face after washing it because it takes away all the natural oils, and not doing so will make it produce more oil. Why the heck wasn't I thinking along the same lines about my scalp? :rolleyes: Well hopefully this will be something I can do from now on with minimal issues *fingers crossed* So far so good. :cheese:

JamieLeigh
February 18th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Just wanted to post an update on my CO journey, since I haven't said much since the beginning of this thread. :flower:

I've been CO since January 09, and am still LOVING it. Currently, I swap between Suave Naturals tropical coconut, Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat and Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. I use so many brands for several reasons:

I love how light the Suave makes my hair feel, and I use it when I'm doing a no-heat SMT - the coconut is what I use IN the SMT. Since it's already got honey as an ingredient, I love how it pairs well with it, scent-wise. I also like to use it when I use coconut oil.

The TTTT is good when I have just clarified my scalp, because when I apply it, it makes my scalp feel all tingly. (I'm sure it still would whether or not I've clarified, but somehow I associate these things together lol) :) And I love the peppermint scent.

The Triple Nutrition is good when I use olive oil in my hair, since that is already one of the ingredients in the conditioner. And I love the scent of this one also. :)

So far, my hair is still loving it all.

Ravenne
February 18th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I did CO last year but for some reason didn't stick with it. I decided to try again a few days ago. I use Suave Naturals. I've been using Lavender, but I just bought the Aloe Vera and Waterlily. It smelled pretty! Lol!

I'm still washing every day, but I can tell that my hair is softer and less frizzy at the top. The bottom bit is just frizzy and damaged... :( But it's in better condition than it was! So far my hair's not getting super greasy (oily scalp...) but that's probably due to COing every day. I'm trying to debate whether I want to stretch it out, but I'm just gonna see what my hair thinks of long term CO first before I try something new. :p

But so far so good!

Star Eagle
February 18th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Hi Patrycia,
I just want to say I love your picture of your braid ...Is you hair two different shades?
and please tell me what cones are? I have asked before ..no one responds..?? thanks Star

PearlyCurly
February 19th, 2010, 12:56 AM

I do, i love Herbal Essence conditioners:eyebrows: I want to try not using cones for an entire month, i did it when i first BCed and it didnt work out so well:(

MerryKat
February 19th, 2010, 05:11 AM
cones is the abreviation for any kind of silicone in products

kitten1986
February 19th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I am very intrigued by CO and had heard of it before coming on this forum so I have decided to give it a go... once I run out of my assortment of half used shampoos and conditioners in my showers hahaha

I live in Australia and would like to know what is the best conditioner to be using that I can get here?
Should I try to go cone free or start off on cones then transition to no cone? (cone free scares me a little because I have been using coney hair products my whole life)
I have a pantene clarifying shampoo should I clarify before I start?
Do you use different conditioner for your scalp and length or the same one all over?

I know these answers are probably somewhere in this thread but I REALLY dont want to have to read 104 pages of it hahaha so if anyone with experience can help me out it would be hugely appreciated :D

curlylocks85
February 19th, 2010, 07:53 AM
and please tell me what cones are? I have asked before ..no one responds..?? thanks Star

Here is a link that talks about silicones in hair products. I am sure if you did a Google search you could find a lot if info. Also, check out the articles section. There should be an article or two talking about cones. :)

http://www.articlesbase.com/cosmetics-articles/silicone-hair-products-guide-477469.html

curlylocks85
February 19th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I am very intrigued by CO and had heard of it before coming on this forum so I have decided to give it a go... once I run out of my assortment of half used shampoos and conditioners in my showers hahaha

I live in Australia and would like to know what is the best conditioner to be using that I can get here?
Should I try to go cone free or start off on cones then transition to no cone? (cone free scares me a little because I have been using coney hair products my whole life)
I have a pantene clarifying shampoo should I clarify before I start?
Do you use different conditioner for your scalp and length or the same one all over?

I know these answers are probably somewhere in this thread but I REALLY dont want to have to read 104 pages of it hahaha so if anyone with experience can help me out it would be hugely appreciated :D

When I started with the CO method I went straight from using Head&Shoulders shampoo to only using conditioner. I never did a clarifying treatment because I was not convinced that my dry hair could take it. Not to say that you could not do it, but I did not want to strip my hair when it is already extremely dry.

Instead, I use a method I learned here; I take some conditioner rub it on my scalp, run it under water, and just give my head a small massage for a few minutes. This has helped me to keep my roots clean and dandruff free without using a clarifier.

I do not live in Australia so I cannot help you with products to use, but I am sure some here can give you advice on that.

I hope doing the CO method works for you.

LadyJennifer
February 19th, 2010, 02:22 PM
kitten1986: I never knew what cones were when I stopped using them - I just wanted to get as far away from chemicals as I could. I never noticed my hair being more tangly or anything. It may be because my hair was shorter, but I've never had tangly hair anyway. I did notice my hair went flat and frizzy - which I recently found is because it needs protein, so I have my beautiful hair back! :) It was like that for over 2 years.

ArienEllariel
February 23rd, 2010, 07:19 PM
I've been doing CO for a while and I love it but my ends have been getting dry lately. I'm thinking I need to find a more moisturizing conditioner to use on the ends of my hair. Does anyone know of a good moisturizing cone free conditioner? I'm thinking a thicker one would be better. Right now I use Burt's Bees Raspberry Bazil Nut Conditioner.

Just so you know, I've not been able to use Suave or Garnier Fructis conditioners. My hair hates them.

Kaijah
February 23rd, 2010, 07:35 PM
I've been fiddling with CO more and more lately. I've kind of been gradually transitioning down from SLS shampoos (more than a year ago), to uber gentle low poos for the last year-ish, and I'm now finding I can do CO more often without my scalp feeling weird. I use V05 with pretty darn good results, Suave is disastrous for me as is most Burt's Bees stuff and Giovanni. I wish I had a Trader Joe's so I could try their store brand!

I've been doing CO for a while and I love it but my ends have been getting dry lately. I'm thinking I need to find a more moisturizing conditioner to use on the ends of my hair. Does anyone know of a good moisturizing cone free conditioner? I'm thinking a thicker one would be better. Right now I use Burt's Bees Raspberry Bazil Nut Conditioner.

Just so you know, I've not been able to use Suave or Garnier Fructis conditioners. My hair hates them.

Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm. It's about $6 for a 16 oz bottle, and it is THICK and very moisturizing, but my hair eats that kind of stuff up. Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or White Camellia are both good too.

ArienEllariel
February 23rd, 2010, 09:06 PM
I've been fiddling with CO more and more lately. I've kind of been gradually transitioning down from SLS shampoos (more than a year ago), to uber gentle low poos for the last year-ish, and I'm now finding I can do CO more often without my scalp feeling weird. I use V05 with pretty darn good results, Suave is disastrous for me as is most Burt's Bees stuff and Giovanni. I wish I had a Trader Joe's so I could try their store brand!

Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm. It's about $6 for a 16 oz bottle, and it is THICK and very moisturizing, but my hair eats that kind of stuff up. Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or White Camellia are both good too.

Thanks so much! I'll add those to my list of things to try. I'd been thinking of trying the Aubrey Organics (just because it seems most natural stuff works the best for me so far). :D

LoveMyLongHair
March 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM
[quote=intothemist1999;60077]I can't do it today because I have the itchies and feel like I need a good, deep clean, but I think I'm going to try CO again.

Can anyone suggest a light cone-free conditioner that has no animal testing (and no animal ingredients)?

My only complaint with the CO/the conditioners I've tried is that - like with ilovemycop - the results aren't consistent. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's not so much :)

By that I mean with the first few CO washes, the hair will look great, and I can skip a day between washes, but after a few times it will start to look greasy with less and less time after the wash.

Is that normal? I'm curious how often other CO'ers need to wash their hair.

.[/Max Green Alchemy....cruelty free and animal product free:D]

fawn
March 4th, 2010, 11:28 PM
:eyebrows:Well, I recently decided to go CO. Really, it was not too much of a jump for me, I have always washed only once a week and my hair loves oils and never gets greasey/dandruff.

So recently I decided instead of C-S-C, that I would just CO. I have been using very sparing amounts of a very mild shampoo on roots only for a long time. I am using oil, condition, rinse, condition. It is working really well for me!:eyebrows:

I use EVOO, Pantene beautiful lengths, and my final is a coney Ion Extreme Moisture.

niikkii03
March 7th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I really want to CO but I don't know which conditioners are best.I've searched it,and don't really find anything. Can anyone suggest anything?I'm new to this whole thing and should I get one without cones? -Needs major help-

Carolyn
March 7th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I really want to CO but I don't know which conditioners are best.I've searched it,and don't really find anything. Can anyone suggest anything?I'm new to this whole thing and should I get one without cones? -Needs major help-I may be stating the obvious but this thread has a lot of good advice. Have you read it? Many favorite CO conditioners have been mentioned. In general, people seem to prefer the cheap, coneless, runny conditioners such as Suave, VO5 and White Rain. Everyone's hair and water are different so you'll have to pick one and see what happens. There is no one best conditioner for everyone. There is also a huge CO thread in the archives. There is a link on the main forum page to the archives.

niikkii03
March 7th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Thanks. Sorry I'm still a little new and getting used to the site.I read this thread but got confused at most of it.

Fethenwen
March 9th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I'm curios to start CO:ing again, because shampoo really does not work for me at all! :wail:

But I have trouble finding a good conditioner to wash with. I can get a decent wash a few times but after that I get problems, buildup and such. Same with WO. I always end up with hair that's waxy tangly and fluffy.

But I do wonder if the Lush Veganese conditioner would be something for me to try? I had it as a regular conditioner a few years back and I loved it, but I have never used it for CO:ing. I wonder if anyone here has any experiences with that particular one, or some other Lush conditioner?

Carolyn
March 9th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I'm curios to start CO:ing again, because shampoo really does not work for me at all! :wail:

But I have trouble finding a good conditioner to wash with. I can get a decent wash a few times but after that I get problems, buildup and such. Same with WO. I always end up with hair that's waxy tangly and fluffy.

But I do wonder if the Lush Veganese conditioner would be something for me to try? I had it as a regular conditioner a few years back and I loved it, but I have never used it for CO:ing. I wonder if anyone here has any experiences with that particular one, or some other Lush conditioner?Wouldn't LUSH be rather expensive for a CO conditioner? I use handfulls of my CO conditioner. I get about 5-6 CO's out of a big bottle of White Rain. Have you tried switching around your conditioners each wash? If I start getting that waxy limp feeling it's usually because I'm using the same conditioner each wash. I love LUSH conditioners but I've never used them for CO.

Fethenwen
March 9th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Wouldn't LUSH be rather expensive for a CO conditioner? I use handfulls of my CO conditioner. I get about 5-6 CO's out of a big bottle of White Rain. Have you tried switching around your conditioners each wash? If I start getting that waxy limp feeling it's usually because I'm using the same conditioner each wash. I love LUSH conditioners but I've never used them for CO.
Hmm, I never use that much conditioner. About two table spoons diluted with water, I usually dilute it so it's easier to apply it allover my hair. I wonder if it's the tiny amount I'm using that is causing the problem? But then again, I've had success before last summer when I did the same thing (or did I, I'm not that sure actually about the amount of conditioner I did use back then).

Yeah, I guess you're right that using veganese would be rather expensive for this method.

Today I tried to wash again, and it seemed like I never got the conditioner out of my hair no matter how much I rinsed. And now it feels like it's just completely covered still :( I used a different organic one this time, it did not seem to be cleansing enough, so I had to use a little bit of shampoo on top of that. Didn't do much. *sigh*

I'm still in this circle of not having nice hair, I've been in it for about a month now. It's starting to get rather frustrating. Nothing seems to work :wail:

JaclynBailey
March 9th, 2010, 10:16 AM
So I am new here to LHC and am very interested in the CO method of haircleansing. I just dont know where to start. I originally became interested in CO when I fell asleep on the couch and woke up to a Wen infomercial. I looked it up and Wen is kinda pricey like I suspected it might be.

Any advice for a newbie like me? Anyone have any experience using Wen with great results?

SolSara
March 9th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Hmm, I never use that much conditioner. About two table spoons diluted with water, I usually dilute it so it's easier to apply it allover my hair. I wonder if it's the tiny amount I'm using that is causing the problem? But then again, I've had success before last summer when I did the same thing (or did I, I'm not that sure actually about the amount of conditioner I did use back then).

Yeah, I guess you're right that using veganese would be rather expensive for this method.

Today I tried to wash again, and it seemed like I never got the conditioner out of my hair no matter how much I rinsed. And now it feels like it's just completely covered still :( I used a different organic one this time, it did not seem to be cleansing enough, so I had to use a little bit of shampoo on top of that. Didn't do much. *sigh*

I'm still in this circle of not having nice hair, I've been in it for about a month now. It's starting to get rather frustrating. Nothing seems to work :wail:

If you are looking for new conditioners for CO, you should take a look at www.lockig.se, if you can understand swedish. There are quite many Finns at the forum and they can help you in your search. :)

The amount of condish might be the problem, I need to use a couple of hand fulls too. And check the ingredients. I get the waxy feeling from conditioners with much stearyl-thingies in them. :)

Fethenwen
March 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
If you are looking for new conditioners for CO, you should take a look at www.lockig.se, if you can understand swedish. There are quite many Finns at the forum and they can help you in your search. :)

The amount of condish might be the problem, I need to use a couple of hand fulls too. And check the ingredients. I get the waxy feeling from conditioners with much stearyl-thingies in them. :)
Aah, what a fantastic place that is locking.se, thank goodness I know swedish :D Thanks!

Gilly
March 9th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I am currently trying Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose for COing and its quite nice! I never need to use much on my fine hair but it does a good job and my hair feels really clean after.
I am also in the middle of getting some Matrix Biolage conditioning balm, I am really looking forward to trying this one, I seem to have discovered that my hair is not that keen on protien as well as hating silicone:rolleyes:
I will let you all know how I get on with it, I just wish I could get the huge pot with a pump on over here in Australia, I can't seem to find it anywhere!
Any of you lovely ladies in the U.S fancy sending me an empty pot with a pump on???? I could at least then decant into the pump tub!

Carolyn
March 9th, 2010, 12:47 PM

Some people have better luck if they use a lot of conditioner. Really coating the hair. I think loading the hair up with conditioner allows the conditioner to cleanse the hair better than using just a little. I wonder if doing a good clarifying wash and getting rid of whatever is on your hair would help. Then using a cheap runny coneless conditioner for washing. You could use your nice organic conditioners for the second deeper conditioning. I use my LUSH and more health food store type conditioners for the times when I want to do a CWC or a shampoo and condition wash.

Fethenwen
March 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Hmm, yeah maybe I should try and clarify again. If this doesn't work after that, I think I will seriously try WO:ing again for a longer period of time.

*Aoife*
March 10th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I've started CO-ing this week but I have a few problems and questions.

Is it ok to use the same conditioner for both times (if that makes sense). It's so hard to find not too thick coneless conditioner that hasn't been tested on animals.

My curls feel kinda crunchy and dry. Like I left a leave-in on my hair. But I've been very careful washing the conditioner out. Is that normal? What can I do to prevent it?

My hair is getting greasy so quickly. I used to be able to stretch my hair out for 4 days but it looks awful after 36 hours now :( How long will this last? And I keep getting one greasy patch on my head. It moves each time I wash but is normally around the back of my head. What is causing this?

Gilly
March 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM
My hair was a bit like yours so I just "wash" twice with the same conditioner, it works really well.
There is no problem with using the same conditioner in the 2nd stage of COing but you may find that if you was with it twice anyway you won't need to do it a 3rd time, does that make sense?
I have just had notification that my Matrix conditioning balm is on its way!:cheese:

*Aoife*
March 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Yep, that makes sense :) Thank you.
I only actually do it twice. I end up using about 1/4 of a bottle and my conditioner costs €7 a bottle, so I've been trying to spare it.

Congrats :D I love getting new conditioners too

boomtownrat
March 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I'm curious: do any of you who CO-wash find that you're still losing just as much hair during a wash as you did with shampoo & conditioner? Does it seem to depend on the conditioner you use? When I first started it seemed that I lost very few hairs while washing, but now I lose about the same amount as I did when I still used (SLS) shampoo... except when I use Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut.

The problem is that using that kind leaves me with dull hair now, whereas the first few times I used it (months ago now) it seemed my hair was wavier and glossier. Maybe I need to clarify?

TXbarbie
March 20th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I'm curious: do any of you who CO-wash find that you're still losing just as much hair during a wash as you did with shampoo & conditioner? Does it seem to depend on the conditioner you use? When I first started it seemed that I lost very few hairs while washing, but now I lose about the same amount as I did when I still used (SLS) shampoo... except when I use Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut.

The problem is that using that kind leaves me with dull hair now, whereas the first few times I used it (months ago now) it seemed my hair was wavier and glossier. Maybe I need to clarify?

Hmm when I used to use both shampoo and conditioner, I lost LOTS of hairs in the shower. Now I maybe lose just a bit in the shower and a bit when I'm combing out my hair afterwards.

Have you tried VO5? Some people have more luck with that brand than others. I use VO5 since I have heard people complain about their hair after using Suave.

mitabird
March 21st, 2010, 07:25 AM

Have you tried doing an acv rinse after CO washing? That might help.

emmabovary
March 21st, 2010, 09:58 AM
Should I clarify with an SLS shampoo?

It's been a while now that my hair's been feeling disgusting. :( It's been worse since I used some diluted castor oil on my roots, but the troubles really started when I drowned it in coconut oil. I even tried sleeping with condish in my hair but it still felt dirty after I rinsed it out this morning. I really don't want to use poo.. is there anything else that might help?

boomtownrat
March 21st, 2010, 11:10 AM
Have you tried VO5? Some people have more luck with that brand than others. I use VO5 since I have heard people complain about their hair after using Suave.

I've tried three kinds of VO5 and overall I like them more than Suave. The Kiwi-Lime Squeeze leaves my hair waxy and frizzy no matter how long I rinse, so I think I'll just use it for shaving, along with the two failed Suave conditioners. I tried the Tea Therapy Blackberry Sage and my hair looks OK, slightly better when I do an ACV rinse (but I don't like the smell). The Tea Therapy Calming Chamomile worked beautifully the first couple of times, less so on subsequent occasions but overall I think I like it more than any other results I've had.

I'm trying to narrow it down to two or three conditioners that I rotate, since my hair and scalp have always liked variety. The main thing I like about the Suave Tropical Coconut is that I shed less when I use it. Using an ACV rinse afterward seems to be a good combination except that coconut + ACV smells awful.

Have you tried doing an acv rinse after CO washing? That might help.

Yeah, I have, but the problem is that my hair tangles and feels like straw when I do that. Maybe I need to dilute it more but I already have it down to one part ACV to four parts water (eyeballing it). If I were to dilute it more, maybe my hair wouldn't tangle and hopefully the smell wouldn't be as strong.

Do people leave ACV on or is it a quick rinse? I've been letting it soak in for about a minute and rinsing for at least a count of 60-90.

Carolyn
March 21st, 2010, 11:27 AM
Do people leave ACV on or is it a quick rinse? I've been letting it soak in for about a minute and rinsing for at least a count of 60-90.When I do a white vinegar rinse I leave it on a minute or two and then rinse with water. If I have distilled water I'll end with pouring maybe 2C over my hair as a final rinse.

I do the same thing you do with swapping CO conditioners. KLS did not work for me at all either. If you can find White Rain conditoners in your area, you might want to give them a try. They are in the same runny and cheap category as VO5 and Suave.

boomtownrat
March 21st, 2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks, Carolyn! (And thanks to those who replied to my earlier post, too!) I haven't found any White Rain yet but I'll keep looking. :)

Carolyn
March 21st, 2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks, Carolyn! (And thanks to those who replied to my earlier post, too!) I haven't found any White Rain yet but I'll keep looking. :)
Try Dollar General or Dollar Tree. Both stores had WR in the Concord/Kannapolis area when I was there over the holidays. I'm sure other locations do too.

LadyJennifer
March 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM
I don't use a cheap condish because I don't like the chemicals in them. I get something like BWC (which is slightly thick), but I put it in a tint bottle and dilute it. It works great, and I use less - which is good because it's more expensive than other cheaper brands.

curlylocks85
March 21st, 2010, 07:09 PM

It's been a while now that my hair's been feeling disgusting. :( It's been worse since I used some diluted castor oil on my roots, but the troubles really started when I drowned it in coconut oil. I even tried sleeping with condish in my hair but it still felt dirty after I rinsed it out this morning. I really don't want to use poo.. is there anything else that might help?

Maybe you could try WO or an ACV rinse.

emmabovary
March 22nd, 2010, 03:52 AM
I tried WO and it only made things worse :( ACV rinse is a good idea, though... Thank you :)

mitabird
March 22nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I have, but the problem is that my hair tangles and feels like straw when I do that. Maybe I need to dilute it more but I already have it down to one part ACV to four parts water (eyeballing it). If I were to dilute it more, maybe my hair wouldn't tangle and hopefully the smell wouldn't be as strong.

I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but this has been my experience if I make it the last step. What I normally do is CO wash with a cheap conditioner and rinse. Then I do the ACV rinse, leave it on for about a minute, rinse and follow-up with a more moisturizing conditioner.

hendrix.co
March 23rd, 2010, 05:20 PM

are you using cones? you hair may not like them. You may need to clarify. I do this by adding some baking soda to my conditioner and then conditioning after i rinse.

joiekimochi
March 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for an organic, paraben- and cone-free conditioner that's good for CO? I'm using Giovanni Smooth as Silk and it's too rich and left my hair too slippery and not bouncy enough. I was thinking of using any of the Nature's Gate conditioners but not sure which one would be good for my 1a/f/i slightly oily at the roots but slightly dry and chemically dyed length.

LadyJennifer
March 23rd, 2010, 07:59 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for an organic, paraben- and cone-free conditioner that's good for CO? I'm using Giovanni Smooth as Silk and it's too rich and left my hair too slippery and not bouncy enough. I was thinking of using any of the Nature's Gate conditioners but not sure which one would be good for my 1a/f/i slightly oily at the roots but slightly dry and chemically dyed length.

Right now I use BWC Deeper Moisture, and Mill Creek Keratin conditioners. I just add a little water in a tint bottle with condish, shake, and apply. works great! I just ordered the BWC Rosemary, Mint, Tea Tree condish. I'm thinking it will be nice for a more clarifying wash.

emmabovary
March 24th, 2010, 04:00 AM
are you using cones? you hair may not like them. You may need to clarify. I do this by adding some baking soda to my conditioner and then conditioning after i rinse.

Nope, I don't use cones. The buildup was from excess coconut oil. I melted about 4 ounces and just put it all in :p Anyway, I finally got rid of it with shikakai :crush: My hair has never looked happier!

GeoJ
March 24th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I read some of this thread and it convinced me to try CO washing with more sincerity than I had before. In the past I have occasionally CO washed with AO conditioners, which I did for the purpose of bringing out my waves. But I could not do a wash like that more than once in a row or my hair would get oily and stringy. I tried Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut once, but it caused an increase in dandruff and scalp itchies.

This week I tried a really cheap conditioner from the drug store (CVS) called Island Escape. So far it is working great for me, although the smell is overpowering when my hair is still wet. My scalp has not been itchy or flaky (at least so far), and my hair is much softer and smoother (but my updos are lacking staying power now).

The ingredients of the cheap conditioner (99 cents for 18 fl oz) are:
Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearalkonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-7, Propylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance, Citric Acid.

I admit utter ignorance about the ingredients, except that it has a bit of citric acid (my hair likes acidic rinses because of my hard water). It has overpowering fragrance, but I don't seem to be allergic to it.

allnaturalboy
March 25th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I've been having bad hair times for awhile now. I just switched to CO only washing about a week ok and my hair looks and feels WAY better. I don't think I have the method down yet though. Sometimes I end up with still slightly oily hair. Could someone tell me if I might be using too much conditioner or not enough? I have pretty fine, straight hair that is about chin length. I've been using about 4 palmfuls of conditioner for a CO wash. Is that too much? I use a volumizing White Rain conditioner mixed with some Awapuhi Nature's Gate conditioner, about 2 palmfuls of each. Do I need to use more to cut the oil? Or could it be that perhaps I'm not rinsing enough? I usually rinse for about a minute or so after the wash and follow with a cold rinse. Do I need to scrub and scritch my scalp really well while rinsing?

LadyJennifer
March 25th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I've been having bad hair times for awhile now. I just switched to CO only washing about a week ok and my hair looks and feels WAY better. I don't think I have the method down yet though. Sometimes I end up with still slightly oily hair. Could someone tell me if I might be using too much conditioner or not enough? I have pretty fine, straight hair that is about chin length. I've been using about 4 palmfuls of conditioner for a CO wash. Is that too much? I use a volumizing White Rain conditioner mixed with some Awapuhi Nature's Gate conditioner, about 2 palmfuls of each. Do I need to use more to cut the oil? Or could it be that perhaps I'm not rinsing enough? I usually rinse for about a minute or so after the wash and follow with a cold rinse. Do I need to scrub and scritch my scalp really well while rinsing?

It might just be that your hair is still transitioning. Rinsing really well may help. I dilute some conditioner with water (about half and half) in a tint bottle and really saturate my hair with it. That way I get better coverage, but use less condish (but feel like I'm using more).

*Aoife*
March 25th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Just wondering about the above post, how much conditioner are you actually meant to use. I use quite a lot and I'm wondering if it's too much.

And to anyone in the UK/Ireland, Boots own brand conditioners are amazing!

boomtownrat
March 27th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Try Dollar General or Dollar Tree. Both stores had WR in the Concord/Kannapolis area when I was there over the holidays. I'm sure other locations do too.

Thanks, Carolyn! A new Dollar General just opened up near me so I'll check out what they have. I don't *think* I've seen White Rain in the other dollar stores I've been to but then, I wasn't looking all that closely at the time.

I think I also wasn't using enough conditioner. After posting my original question I decided to slap on a good bit more with each wash and it's turned out better.

Dars
March 27th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Just wondering about the above post, how much conditioner are you actually meant to use. I use quite a lot and I'm wondering if it's too much.

And to anyone in the UK/Ireland, Boots own brand conditioners are amazing!
With CO you want enough to get all your hair and scalp coated so it feels slimy. There is no set limit to reach this point but if your noticing globs of conditioner are just dripping everywhere and you've covered everything 100% then maybe you're using unnecessary amounts.

jennyjukes
March 29th, 2010, 08:05 AM
does anyone that do conditioner only dye their hair?(bad i know, i'm only using semi perm on roots while it grows out)
if so, do you shampoo/clarify beforehand, does cowash interfere with it? i know your hair should be clean for about a day and not newly conditioned so....:S

Annitta
March 29th, 2010, 08:48 AM
does anyone that do conditioner only dye their hair?(bad i know, i'm only using semi perm on roots while it grows out)
if so, do you shampoo/clarify beforehand, does cowash interfere with it? i know your hair should be clean for about a day and not newly conditioned so....:S

I dye my hair medium brown, hopely i just dyed the last time, but if fades a lot, i might just dye the faded part, because it fades very orangey. I found that conditioner only helps not fading a lot, i know only it faded that much because it was a bit porous at the ends, which i trimmed, but not all the porous part. I only shampoo after i dye, a little once in a while doesn't hurt so much. I'll be trimming the dyed ends.

heatherovka
March 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I managed to successfully do CO for about a month, then I did a heavy overnight coconut oiling. I too had major problems getting it all out. It looked oily and stringy for the next two or three CO washings. I just wore it up a lot - the top didn't look bad, it was the underlayer that was icky looking.

I wanted to do a cassia treatment at the end of the month so I decided to do a diluted shampoo wash to make sure it was clean enough to benefit from the cassia. Ohmigosh I couldn't stand my shampooed hair! It was awful! Fluffy, frizzy, fly-away, and dry! It was almost... squeaky. Luckily the cassia seems to have fixed it, but I think I have sworn off shampoo from now on!

*Aoife*
March 31st, 2010, 05:20 PM

I semi-perm dyed my hair last week. I used shampoo before hand as I reckoned a clarifying wash wouldn't hurt too much. I COd afterwards and left the first batch of conditioner in for half an hour.

kitty_did
April 1st, 2010, 09:06 AM
I've got a quick question. I'm sure it's on here somewhere, but I haven't stumbled on it yet. I've been experimenting with several wahing methods. So far my hair seems to prefer the CO method. I realize that I'll need to clarify my hair at some point. Do I use a shampoo to clarify or some kind of conditioner? What are some good products out there to periodically clarify my hair? Will any old shampoo do?

masa_inn
April 1st, 2010, 09:18 AM
I've got a quick question. I'm sure it's on here somewhere, but I haven't stumbled on it yet. I've been experimenting with several wahing methods. So far my hair seems to prefer the CO method. I realize that I'll need to clarify my hair at some point. Do I use a shampoo to clarify or some kind of conditioner? What are some good products out there to periodically clarify my hair? Will any old shampoo do?

That is not necessarily true. My hair is so happy with CO that it doesn't need any kind of clarifying. Once in a blue moon I use SLS-free shampoo and my scalp immediately reacts with increased oiliness. I don't even know why I keep messing with shampoo :confused:

So you just have to play it by ear (or by scalp, in this case :)). If you sure you need to clarify, I'd suggest an SLS-free shampoo. Of course, if you use cones, it's another story and you might need a strong SLS shampoo once in a while.

Hope it makes sense :)

kitty_did
April 1st, 2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the information, Masa Inn.
I'll wait to see what my hair needs.

LadyJennifer
April 1st, 2010, 12:56 PM
You could just clarify with some baking soda added to your condish, or even just water. Just make sure you finish up with an acidic rinse.

MakeLoveNotWar
April 2nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed before, so I apologize if I am bringing it up for the millionth time or something, but CO makes my scalp so itchy! I love the way it makes me hair feel, so soft and shiny, but by the end of the day it is impossible to resist the urge to itch! I've tried clarifying, but to no avail :confused: I usually use Aussie 3-Minute Moisture, but sometimes switch it up to Herbal Essences condish. By the way, my hair loves cones, and absolutely hates no cones.

*Aoife*
April 2nd, 2010, 05:38 PM
Could Aussie 3MM be too thick? I know that I've used a conditioner on my scalp that was just way too thick and didn't wash off properly, so it made my scalp itchy.

seraphine
April 4th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I am starting out doing CO and am using an all natural brand called Soignee, so far it's going good :D

Neoma
April 4th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed before, so I apologize if I am bringing it up for the millionth time or something, but CO makes my scalp so itchy! I love the way it makes me hair feel, so soft and shiny, but by the end of the day it is impossible to resist the urge to itch! I've tried clarifying, but to no avail :confused: I usually use Aussie 3-Minute Moisture, but sometimes switch it up to Herbal Essences condish. By the way, my hair loves cones, and absolutely hates no cones.MakeLoveNotWar, my hair loves cones, too. For CO'ing, I start with a non-cone conditioner, such as VO5. I wet my hair, apply a big glob of VO5, massage it into my scalp and work it through the length, and let it sit while I wash my face.

Rinse.

Apply cone-filled conditioner of your choice, focusing on the length. No need to go through the "shampooing" motions of CO'ing with this step.

Rinse.

Voila! Silky, clean, coned hair.

HTH. :flower:

TXbarbie
April 5th, 2010, 02:34 AM
MakeLoveNotWar, my hair loves cones, too. For CO'ing, I start with a non-cone conditioner, such as VO5. I wet my hair, apply a big glob of VO5, massage it into my scalp and work it through the length, and let it sit while I wash my face.

Rinse.

Apply cone-filled conditioner of your choice, focusing on the length. No need to go through the "shampooing" motions of CO'ing with this step.

Rinse.

Ohh that's a great idea! I've recently given up on COing because my hair was very limp...I think it just needs cones.

If you use this method do you clarify? And if so how often?

MakeLoveNotWar
April 5th, 2010, 08:14 AM
MakeLoveNotWar, my hair loves cones, too. For CO'ing, I start with a non-cone conditioner, such as VO5. I wet my hair, apply a big glob of VO5, massage it into my scalp and work it through the length, and let it sit while I wash my face.

Rinse.

Rinse.

Awesome I will definitely have to try that!

Neoma
April 5th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Ohh that's a great idea! I've recently given up on COing because my hair was very limp...I think it just needs cones.

If you use this method do you clarify? And if so how often?I don't CO exclusively. I alternate, mainly with CWC. So I haven't found it necesssary to clarify, per se. I'm not sure what would happen if I CO'ed exclusively with this method.

Awesome I will definitely have to try that!Let us know how it works for you. :flower:

ninelifewriter5
April 5th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Okay, I've been seriously considering doing going CO and have a couple of questions. :)

I have frizzy hair, and my short hair is curly. Because the frizz might be curls, CO might fix the frizz, yeah? That's a major selling point for me. :P

Also, I've been debating what type of conditioner to get. Price is a big factor, and where I live natural products are very, very limited. I've been looking at Aubrey Organics, and a couple of conditioners have caught my eye. Firstly, the Green Tea Finishing Cream. Would I need to combine that with a conditioner as well, or would using it by itself be conditioning enough? Also, the Egyptian Henna Shine-Enhancing Clean Rinse. Would that need a conditioner as well? Or, could I use these two products together?

Thank you for reading through my newbish questions! I have looked through the thread but didn't find anything, so sorry for any repeated questions. =D

Talula
April 7th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Wow, I finally finished reading this thread! I've been reading maybe 1-10 pages each night, and saving a shortcut on my desktop as a "bookmark" to whatever page I leave off on.

So I've been doing a bunch of CO washes the last couple months, and I might as well add my experience to the thread...

Here are the ones that have worked for me:

Suave Aloe & Waterily was the first one I tried, and that worked fine. Rinses out easy. I also had success with a Boots conditioner... Almond Peach Milk I think. It had cones, but it worked & rinsed out easy. And recently I bought a dollar conditioner at the Christmas Tree Shops: Personal Care Lilac Lavender and that one leaves my hair feeling really clean, but maybe frizzier than others, and I'm not big on the smell.

Here are the ones that HAVEN'T worked for me:

I've tried 2 VO5's that I just can't seem to rinse out of my thick hair. Kiwi Lime Squeeze & Extra Body. Same with Nature's Advantage Aloe Vera. I think one time I got the KLS to work, after using a comb in the shower to help get it out. I've only tried the Extra Body once so far (no comb w/ rinse), and I noticed that my SCALP did feel clean once it was drying, but the rest of my hair still felt thick & heavy/greasy w/ conditioner like it didn't rinse out. And I rinse the same as I do with the ones above that did work. I haven't tried a vinegar rinse to get them out, but one of these days I'll try that. The other day my hair felt so heavy & stringy with the VO5 EB from the day before, that I decided it was a good day for a C-COW wash, since I considered what was already stuck in my hair from the day before to be the first "C" of the wash! And that worked well.... much better frizz-wise than when I just use shampoo. Tho I almost always have frizz unless my hair's greasy, it's just worse when I shampoo. I'll have to find a thread on frizz, next, I guess! I did get a couple of frizz tips from this CO thread.

I've been trying to notice if others with thick 2C hair (that's what I've been told I have, anyways!) have worse luck with the VO5's & better luck with the Suaves? In reading through this thread, it did seem like sometimes that was the case. I still haven't tried White Rain yet, but that'll be next! And I still have some VO5 Freesia that I haven't tried yet... I'll report back when I try it. I feel like the VO5's WOULD be cleaning my hair, since my scalp felt clean, if I could only rinse it out - but it sticks like glue! And I diluted the KLS, too.

FrannyG
April 7th, 2010, 05:50 AM
MakeLoveNotWar, I would have given the exact same advice as Neoma. I would add that you might want to try using a dilute ACV rinse at the very end of your COing, as well. It has always taken the itchies away for me, and makes my hair shinier as an added bonus!

skarab
April 7th, 2010, 05:55 AM
ninelifewriter, the Aubrey Egyptian Henna Shine-Enhancing Clean Rinse is not like a conditioner in any way. It's water consistency. I absolutely adored the smell and it make my hair very shiny and soft IF I managed to rinse it out well. The problem is that because it's so liquid it's really hard to spread around and for some reason hard to rinse out too, so I often ended up with strands that looked greasy. I could never really fit into my routine and just used it up gradually because I love the smell so much.
The Green Tea Finishing Cream Rinse is like very liquidy conditioner. I think it could replace conditioner, especially if your hair prefers a lighter product. I *think* it didn't make my hair limp like most conditioners do, although why then I didn't use it more often I don't know.

allnaturalboy
April 8th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I've been COing for a couple of weeks now. I use about a palmful to wash my fine, chin length hair. I'm using White Rain volumizing conditioner. I rinse for a few minutes every time, yet it seems like I can never get it all out. My scalp will feel sticky after I get out of the shower, though it stops after my hair fully dries. My hair can be slightly oily so I try to make sure I put in enough condish to get it all out. My hair comes out great sometimes, but others not so much. Am I using too much conditioner? Or do I need to switch to a different kind? It is a a bit creamy. I usually leave the condish on for about 20 minutes before I rinse it out. And I scritch and massage while rinsing. My hair will still come out oily sometimes, so I'm wondering if that could be a result of too much conditioner for washing? Possible coating, perhaps?

Does anyone have my hair type and length? How much conditioner do you use for a wash?

Talula
April 9th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I've been COing for a couple of weeks now. I use about a palmful to wash my fine, chin length hair. I'm using White Rain volumizing conditioner. I rinse for a few minutes every time, yet it seems like I can never get it all out. My scalp will feel sticky after I get out of the shower, though it stops after my hair fully dries. My hair can be slightly oily so I try to make sure I put in enough condish to get it all out. My hair comes out great sometimes, but others not so much. Am I using too much conditioner? Or do I need to switch to a different kind? It is a a bit creamy. I usually leave the condish on for about 20 minutes before I rinse it out. And I scritch and massage while rinsing. My hair will still come out oily sometimes, so I'm wondering if that could be a result of too much conditioner for washing? Possible coating, perhaps?

Does anyone have my hair type and length? How much conditioner do you use for a wash?

Hi allnaturalboy, I have long, thick hair not short & fine, but I also have problems rinsing certain conditioners out of my hair. So far for me, the worst are VO5's - Kiwi Lime & Extra Body both stick like glue to my thick hair. :( I haven't tried the White Rain yet, but I just bought some to try. I keep stubbornly trying different things to make my VO5's work, like 1) putting some in a little bottle & shaking it up with water to dilute it, 2) putting it on dry hair before my shower to give it a longer sit time, 3) combing it out with my shower rinse & 4) using it in a COW wash, where you mix it with some shampoo & water to get a more gentle shampoo wash. I've had the best luck w/ 3 & 4. I still plan to try: final rinsing with diluted ACV, and rinsing in a tub soak to see if that will get more conditioner out. But you might want to try using a different brand.... when I used Suave Aloe & Waterlily I had no problems rinsing it out. But there are others on this thread that prefer VO5 to Suave, so you just have to see what works best for you. I'm having fun experimenting, myself. I've only been doing CO washes maybe 2-3 months, and right now I shampoo every 7-10 days to clarify. Before CO, I shampooed every other day, so I've cut down a lot on sulfates, which makes me happy.

I started out using lots of globs of CO, but now I tend to dilute mine & end up using a lot less. It can still work if you find the right conditioner, and I have LOTS of hair, so I'm proof that you don't necessarily have to use a ton of product to get clean! Usually when ppl on this thread complain of the greasies, (I've recently finished reading the whole 100+ pages!) ppl ask them if they've clarified, or tell them there's an adjustment period, or rinse longer, or leave on longer, or rub scalp with a little water just b4 fully rinsing & lather up if you can. But it does sound like you've got a conditioner that just doesn't rinse well for you, and may want to try another. Or try combing it out, I do think that helped me somewhat. But I'm still testing. Good luck!

Liluri
April 10th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Also, I've been debating what type of conditioner to get. Price is a big factor, and where I live natural products are very, very limited. I've been looking at Aubrey Organics, and a couple of conditioners have caught my eye. Firstly, the Green Tea Finishing Cream. Would I need to combine that with a conditioner as well, or would using it by itself be conditioning enough? Also, the Egyptian Henna Shine-Enhancing Clean Rinse. Would that need a conditioner as well? Or, could I use these two products together?

Thank you for reading through my newbish questions! I have looked through the thread but didn't find anything, so sorry for any repeated questions. =D

I have a list of cone free conditioners you can find in Australia, I'd highly recommend getting the Aldi conditioner, (If you are in the eastern states) it's cheap and cone free also check out the Reject shop, Crazy Clarkes, Red Dot and other cheap stores for cone free conditioners too. Aubrey conditioners would probably be an expensive way to CO

allnaturalboy
April 11th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hi allnaturalboy, I have long, thick hair not short & fine, but I also have problems rinsing certain conditioners out of my hair. So far for me, the worst are VO5's - Kiwi Lime & Extra Body both stick like glue to my thick hair. :( I haven't tried the White Rain yet, but I just bought some to try. I keep stubbornly trying different things to make my VO5's work, like 1) putting some in a little bottle & shaking it up with water to dilute it, 2) putting it on dry hair before my shower to give it a longer sit time, 3) combing it out with my shower rinse & 4) using it in a COW wash, where you mix it with some shampoo & water to get a more gentle shampoo wash. I've had the best luck w/ 3 & 4. I still plan to try: final rinsing with diluted ACV, and rinsing in a tub soak to see if that will get more conditioner out. But you might want to try using a different brand.... when I used Suave Aloe & Waterlily I had no problems rinsing it out. But there are others on this thread that prefer VO5 to Suave, so you just have to see what works best for you. I'm having fun experimenting, myself. I've only been doing CO washes maybe 2-3 months, and right now I shampoo every 7-10 days to clarify. Before CO, I shampooed every other day, so I've cut down a lot on sulfates, which makes me happy.

I started out using lots of globs of CO, but now I tend to dilute mine & end up using a lot less. It can still work if you find the right conditioner, and I have LOTS of hair, so I'm proof that you don't necessarily have to use a ton of product to get clean! Usually when ppl on this thread complain of the greasies, (I've recently finished reading the whole 100+ pages!) ppl ask them if they've clarified, or tell them there's an adjustment period, or rinse longer, or leave on longer, or rub scalp with a little water just b4 fully rinsing & lather up if you can. But it does sound like you've got a conditioner that just doesn't rinse well for you, and may want to try another. Or try combing it out, I do think that helped me somewhat. But I'm still testing. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I've decided to switch around with different conditioners. My mom gave me tons because this lady sent her three boxes of random beauty supplies. XD I have a few different V05's and some Suaves. A few white rains as well. I'm going to experiment a bit. I tend to become a bit stubborn though, and end up trying to make one certain thing work for me with experimentation. I think I'll just use a different one each time I wash and see which one works the best. I normally stick mine in a little bottle and shake it up to dilute it as well.

Queen Olympias
April 11th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Hey, just wanted to say that the CO method is (finally) working for me now. When I first tried it my hair did not like it, but now, about four months from my first attempts, this method is working great for my hair. I use White Rain Coconut, Suave Strawberry or Coconut, V05 Chamomile Tea, or Trader's Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner. I use shampoo once a week or less now. So, for all of you out there who have trouble with CO at first, do not give up! Wait a few months and try again. Also, since it is Spring now, that may have something to do with it.

Best of luck to everyone :)

ninelifewriter5
April 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I have a list of cone free conditioners you can find in Australia, I'd highly recommend getting the Aldi conditioner, (If you are in the eastern states) it's cheap and cone free also check out the Reject shop, Crazy Clarkes, Red Dot and other cheap stores for cone free conditioners too. Aubrey conditioners would probably be an expensive way to CO

Ah, okay. Thank you! And I am in the Eastern states, so I will definitely look those up.

EtherealOde
April 15th, 2010, 03:57 PM

I use a henna/cassia blend to color my hair rather than chemical dyes, but for what it's worth here is what I have observed in my hair routine. I have no problems in the henna dying my hair with a CO cleansing before the application. Because I do a roots only application to avoid overcoloring my length, I always cleanse my hair before applying the henna so it doesn't all dry out and color unevenly. I use Whole Foods 365 unscented conditioner for this.

Afterwards, I wash out the henna with the conditioner and a lot of rinsing. Once my hair is completely free of all traces of dye runnoff and bits, I do a heavier condition for a few minutes with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose mixed with enough of the 365 conditioner to thin it a little bit. This leaves my hair feeling soft and smelling nice, instead of like rotting hay.

Once in a great while I might feel the need to shampoo my hair, and I use the Aubrey Organics for that. It is nice and gentle on my hair. Usually I do this when camping or after swimming, or after using products on my hair for a special event.

SlightlySoprano
April 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Since the spring has started, i've been having flake issues... Any suggestions? I don't want to have to shampoo :(

FrannyG
April 15th, 2010, 05:17 PM
allnaturalboy, the fact that it works sometimes and not others implies that it could be something that you are doing differently.

Are you making sure that your hair is really, really wet before applying the conditioner to wash? Or perhaps add a bit of extra water after the conditioner is on. That makes a huge difference.

SlightlySoprano, I suggest a very mild ACV rinse as a final rinse for you. Just a few tablespoons of ACV in a pitcher full of water can restore your scalps acid mantle, and really help with flakes and itchies. I've been using ACV rinses for this for over 30 years with great success. It's one of the few home recipes I knew before LHC. :)

Pallas
April 15th, 2010, 05:17 PM
CO works great on me :)
Though my hair gets greasy quite quickly, but have no idea if it's because of that or it's just my natural hair going on. I always pay attention to how long I can go when I do wash with shampoo, which I do now and than, but for some reason it just doesn't become clear.

But I guess it's not that horrible having to wash a bit more often.

Lélie
April 17th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I'd like to try CO, but i've got a question :
If you want to do CO and use just natural or organic condish on your hair ... you have to be very rich, or to make it yourself ?
I just get bother by the cost, or i'd be doing it already ...

Lélie
April 17th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Oh, and how much condish do you use ? I tend to use half of the bottle and my hair are not really long !! So i'm worring a bit about it !!

*Aoife*
April 17th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I'd like to try CO, but i've got a question :
If you want to do CO and use just natural or organic condish on your hair ... you have to be very rich, or to make it yourself ?
I just get bother by the cost, or i'd be doing it already ...

Do you want to use natural/organic conditioner or do you feel you need to? Sorry if that isn't phrased how I wanted. Would you be happier with a cheaper conditioner. The one I used to use cost €7 and the one I use now costs €1.50. Big difference.

Oh, and how much condish do you use ? I tend to use half of the bottle and my hair are not really long !! So i'm worring a bit about it !!

I use a few palmfuls. Maybe 3/4 on my scalp, 1 on my length and 1 on my ends for the first soak/wash. Is your conditioner really thick? I find thinner conditioners work best as the "cleaning" conditioner.

Lélie
April 19th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Thanks Aoife ! :)

The thing is i really want to use natural things (not necessarily organic though), not tested on animals, cone and sulfate free, etc.
So if i find a cheaper on i'd be very happy !

I ordered everything and i'll try to made my own conditionner. That'd be cheaper for sure ...

LadyJennifer
April 22nd, 2010, 06:43 PM

The thing is i really want to use natural things (not necessarily organic though), not tested on animals, cone and sulfate free, etc.

I ordered everything and i'll try to made my own conditionner. That'd be cheaper for sure ...

I use BWC (Beauty Without Cruelty) Rosemary, Tea Tree, and Mint condish. I get it from vitacost for like $5 for 16 oz. I put a large squirt in a tint bottle, add twice as much water (or herbal tea), shake it up and apply! It makes it thinner, sudses better, cleans better, and I use less than half of what I used to use. :)

Lélie
April 22nd, 2010, 11:46 PM
Oh, thanks ! I'll try to mix it with water then :)

princessp
April 23rd, 2010, 12:56 PM
I've been using the CO hybrid method (washing scalp and CO for the rest). I'm thinking of going pure CO because my CO hair looks so good! The part I've been shampooing seems a wee frizzy. Anyone have luck with CO and taming the "halo" of frizzies that happens to some of us? Well either way I'm giving it a shot and I'll let you know if it helps.

*Aoife*
April 23rd, 2010, 02:10 PM

Sorry, I only saw this now. You can find cheap(er) products that aren't tested on animals and are cone and sulphate free. They're not very natural though. I find some "own brand" products of some companies aren't tested on animals and are cone free.

alwayssmiling
April 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM

I use loads. Possibly a quater of a bottle. Basically I use as much as my hair will hold - then work in like shampoo. If I skimp, it doesn't look as clean. I only use very cheap, runny conditioner (preferably with coconut for its cleansing), then finish with a thicker conditioner just on the last few inches. :)

Henrietta
April 30th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I am not able to dig through 113 pages so I will ask a question which might have been asked already, sorry.

After switching to CO washing, did you start to wash more often? I am thinking of starting CO but I have just stretched my washing routine from 3 to 4 days and I don't want to change it. Also I would like to use coney conditioner as my hair loves cones and cones love my hair. And with all of this thongs I am afraid that no shampoo and lot of cones will make my hair getting greasy faster.

pdy2kn6
May 1st, 2010, 10:08 AM

Has anyone else had any success with Giovanni Smooth as Silk? Is it cone-free/paraden free?

LadyJennifer
May 2nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
I am not able to dig through 113 pages so I will ask a question which might have been asked already, sorry.

After switching to CO washing, did you start to wash more often? I am thinking of starting CO but I have just stretched my washing routine from 3 to 4 days and I don't want to change it. Also I would like to use coney conditioner as my hair loves cones and cones love my hair. And with all of this thongs I am afraid that no shampoo and lot of cones will make my hair getting greasy faster.
I did not need to wash more often when switching to CO. My hair was just softer, less frizzy, and happier.
I would not suggest using cone condish for CO, too much build up I would think. You may find that you can go cone-free if you CO, because your hair would be more conditioned, therefore not needing silicone to lock in moisture. This is just a theory of mine:)

Henrietta
May 3rd, 2010, 02:57 AM
I did not need to wash more often when switching to CO. My hair was just softer, less frizzy, and happier.
I would not suggest using cone condish for CO, too much build up I would think. You may find that you can go cone-free if you CO, because your hair would be more conditioned, therefore not needing silicone to lock in moisture. This is just a theory of mine:)
Thank you:) You're right, that sounds logical:)
I am going to start CO after moving out from home (this fall). Now my parents won't let me but that much conditioner:D

Crazycatlady
May 3rd, 2010, 09:35 AM

One thing you might consider is CO with something cone free & light and follow with a coney condish on the ends. My hair is only collar length, growing out a pixie, so mine tends to get a little oily around my face. But I can stretch my CO out to every other day. :)

SolSara
May 4th, 2010, 01:42 AM

Actually, I could stretch my washes a bit after being CO for some time. :) In a few months I went from every third day to every fifth or sixth day, and still not being as greasy. This doesn't need to be the case for you. But since CO is so gentle, you can wash more often without worrying about damage. :) I would suggest against the cones though, for starters at least. Get into the routine first before trying to see what might work for you. The more cones you use, the more likely you need to shampoo once in a while to remove the build up. My hair loved the cones too, but CO is even better since it doesn't dry the hair out and so don't give any need for the cones. :D

Henrietta
May 5th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Actually, I could stretch my washes a bit after being CO for some time. :) In a few months I went from every third day to every fifth or sixth day, and still not being as greasy.

Wow! I'm impressed. And it's really good to know, as I was afraid that after switching to CO I'll be forced to wash more often when I want to wash rarely.

jeanniet
May 5th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I tried CO for the first time today. I oiled my hair lightly last night, then today washed with Trader Joe's Refresh conditioner (that was the lightest I had). I followed up with Biolage balm on my ends and a vinegar rinse. Then I sprayed on Kimberlily's defrizz spray, put a little coconut oil on my ends, and put my hair up for a few hours. My hair is so soft now, and not at all weighed down with all the stuff I put in it, lol. I only used about 2 tablespoons of conditioner (I mixed it with water in a bottle and then applied it) because we're on a septic system and sending too much glop down the drain is hard on it.

I'm really hoping this will help with my damaged ends, and of course help the hair on my crown grow out healthier. I'm sold! :cheese:

SolSara
May 6th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Wow! I'm impressed. And it's really good to know, as I was afraid that after switching to CO I'll be forced to wash more often when I want to wash rarely.

Well, you should know that this is just me. I've heard some that needs to wash more often than with 'poo, but most don't and many can stretch washes. I guess it depends on if your scalp is overproducing sebum or not. Since my skin in general is quite dry, my scalp certainly was doing that before. CO helped to stop that. But if your skin/scalp thinks it "normal" to produce that amount of sebum, you might find it hard to stretch or even uphold your current frequency. And of course, it's a matter of what you think of as "clean hair". :D I'm horrified now by my pics of me with clean hair on 'poo. It was very dry and fluffy. How could I think it was totally normal that that would turn into awfully greasy in just a couple of days? Now clean hair means soft and silky for several days. :heartbeat

Kristina713
May 6th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I'm just starting an experiment with CO. I have fairly greasy skin and hair, so I normally shampoo every second day. If I go any longer, my hair gets really greasy looking and my scalp gets itchy. But -- the ends of my BSL hair are really dry and damaged. So, I decided to try CO to see if it could balance things out a bit.

At first, I waited my normal two days, and then tried CO. But, even in the shower, my scalp still felt itchy and greasy. So I shampooed.

Now I'm trying something different. I've been COing every day to see if I can "stay ahead of" the grease. Day 3 so far. I'm amazed. My hair is staying clean, but feels so soft. I didn't think that conditioner could have such a cleaning effect (I'm using Suave Coconut). So -- I'll see if I can make it a week without shampoo. My thought is that, if it works, I would move to shampoo once a week.

My one worry is whether I am causing damage to my hair by washing it (with Conditioner) every day. Washing does involve a certain amount of "rubbing" and moving my hair around. In other words, what's better, shampoo every second day or CO every day?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

ButterCream
May 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM
My one worry is whether I am causing damage to my hair by washing it (with Conditioner) every day. Washing does involve a certain amount of "rubbing" and moving my hair around. In other words, what's better, shampoo every second day or CO every day?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hi:)
I Also only CO and have done so for a month, and loves it!

I find that I actually don`t HAVE to rub so hard. What I actually found was this:

I soak my hair with water first and rincing it with luke warm water, then squezze out excess water and put in a lot of conditioner (I use Neutral, no cones, no parabens, no perfume and no color)
I wash my hair and never rub very hard but just gives my head a scalp massage. Then I don`t rinse out right away, but let the conditioner stay there for a couple of minutes and work. Then I gently massages the scalp again to loosen the rest of the "dirt". THEN I rinse very well and I get a super squeeky clean scalp and hair without the dryness. If you feel like washing your hair one more time then do so, the conditioner won`t hurt your hair as it is much more gentler with your scalp and hair than shampoo.

So the trick is to let it sit for a little while so it can loosen up the dirt, and when you use your fingers gently it will lather up foam and clean your hair gently.
HTH:)

deviantkitten
May 6th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I just got Suave coconut condish, and VO5 kiwi lime. Saw the Suave at the px and bought it, because it seems allot of ppl like it. Then, I went to the commissary and saw the VO5. Suave was 99 cents, and the VO4 was 89 cents....so, I "splurged" LOL.
I am wondering for those of you with finer hair, how do you CO?
I am worried that CO will make my fine slippery hair finer and slipperier......wow I guess that is a word my spellcheck didn't pick it up LOL
I mean, I wear my hair back all the time, so if it doesn't give me volume, I'm not really concerned. I am just worried that right now my hair can be tough to put up and stay up because of its slip.....do you think CO will make it more difficult?
I have allot of breakage from past abuse )see album), so I am hoping going CO will not only moisturize my hair, but make it a little stronger and less prone to breakage

deviantkitten
May 6th, 2010, 02:37 PM

I find that I actually don`t HAVE to rub so hard. What I actually found was this:

I soak my hair with water first and rincing it with luke warm water, then squezze out excess water and put in a lot of conditioner (I use Neutral, no cones, no parabens, no perfume and no color)
I wash my hair and never rub very hard but just gives my head a scalp massage. Then I don`t rinse out right away, but let the conditioner stay there for a couple of minutes and work. Then I gently massages the scalp again to loosen the rest of the "dirt". THEN I rinse very well and I get a super squeeky clean scalp and hair without the dryness. If you feel like washing your hair one more time then do so, the conditioner won`t hurt your hair as it is much more gentler with your scalp and hair than shampoo.

So the trick is to let it sit for a little while so it can loosen up the dirt, and when you use your fingers gently it will lather up foam and clean your hair gently.

Ahhh this helps me a bit. We have somewhat similar hair types, with the exception of your curl. Have you always used this technique? Or has it been modified some since starting?

ButterCream
May 6th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Ahhh this helps me a bit. We have somewhat similar hair types, with the exception of your curl. Have you always used this technique? Or has it been modified some since starting?

It has been modified somewhat, yes, and the thing I changed was the ammount of time I let the conditioner stay in the hair before I washed it out.
In the beginning it was soak hair, rub conditioner in the hair, rub a little bit and rinse out, done.

Wasn`t reeeeally happy with the initial results, and started to let the conditioner work as a "disolvent" for the dirt before I started to work it in like a shampoo and do as I wrote with the scalp massaging etc. I let the conditioner sit for two-three minutes, while I am doing other things (shaving legs etc) and then rince out very well.

I got much better results, the hair was not greasy at ALL afterwards and I can now stretch washings up to three days inbetween, as supposed to everyday before I started doing CO and especially let the conditioner work.
And my legs are hairless!!:D*giggle*

Of course having fine hair makes it a bit more easily greasy (strange sentence..:o) but I wash it the third day and are happy with the progress and doubt I can squeezze more days out before washing, lol:D

My hair isn`t curly at all, just it is pin straight with a bend here and there, that is why I chose 1b, but it is straight still.

deviantkitten
May 6th, 2010, 03:40 PM
It has been modified somewhat, yes, and the thing I changed was the ammount of time I let the conditioner stay in the hair before I washed it out.
In the beginning it was soak hair, rub conditioner in the hair, rub a little bit and rinse out, done.

Wasn`t reeeeally happy with the initial results, and started to let the conditioner work as a "disolvent" for the dirt before I started to work it in like a shampoo and do as I wrote with the scalp massaging etc. I let the conditioner sit for two-three minutes, while I am doing other things (shaving legs etc) and then rince out very well.

I got much better results, the hair was not greasy at ALL afterwards and I can now stretch washings up to three days inbetween, as supposed to everyday before I started doing CO and especially let the conditioner work.
And my legs are hairless!!:D*giggle*
My hair isn`t curly at all, just it is pin straight with a bend here and there, that is why I chose 1b, but it is straight still.
Of course having fine hair makes it a bit more easily greasy (strange sentence..:o) but I wash it the third day and are happy with the progress and doubt I can squeezze more days out before washing, lol:D
[/QUOTE]

Got it. Thanks! Well, i have fussed with my hair a bit, trying out a cpl styles, giving it a good combing......and..Oh my! It seems I am due for a wash now LOL
I haven't properly oiled my hair like I usually do the night before a wash, but I think I will give it a go. I think I shall try the kiwi lime because, well, it sounds divine!
I usually only wash every 4 or 5 days, but I was bathing every other night, so if I have to wash a little bit more often, it is no bother to me
*skips off merrily to the shower*

[/QUOTE]

deviantkitten
May 6th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Sorry I quoted that oddly :P

deviantkitten
May 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Alrighty so.....I did my first CO wash, my hair is now completely dry, and here's what happened.....
My hair took a long while to dry. Afraid that this was residue and not damp hair, I just bunned it and didn't think about it. When I just took it down and combed it out.....a little bit of residue around the nape hair, but my ends were.....frizzy?
I used VO5 kiwi lime, a no cone conditioner. The shampoo I was using prior also had no cones, so I don't think no cones were the culpritThe last time I washed, 3 days ago I think, I actually clarified.....weird how I did that before even deciding to do CO.
The follow up conditioner I used was the same as I had been using before, which I LOVE, so I don't know if that was the culprit either.
Besides using CO, the only difference between that and my CO routine was that I didn't do a full night oiling, as I always did before I SC.
I know with each change in routine, there is always a "getting to know you" phase for your hair. Did anyone else have the frizz problem? I was kind of surprised, because I have Fine hair, and have never really gotten frizz like this before.
Here's how I did my CO-
Jumped in shower and got my hair wet, and applied VO5 (was really surprised on how mych it took!)
Made sure the VO5 was applied to whole head, including length.
Put it up, and let it sit for probably 7 minutes
Took hair down and did a long scalp massage, making sure to be very thorough
Rinsed it out for a few minutes at least...made sure I did a serious rinsing
Applied last conditioner as usual, put it up, let it sit for a few minutes, and again, washed thoroughly
Towel dried hair, but left it down to dry- I usually put it up in town do dry more.
FINGER COMBED!!!! I have never been able to do this before!!!! I was so excited
Let it dry for a good while, noticed there may be residue, so put it up
took it down, comped...frizzy ends
Not really dry just....frizzy. All the breakage I have is more noticeable than ever

Any comments
SORRY for the length of this post. Just wanted to be thorough so there wouldn't be 5 posts asking how long I left it on before massage, did I apply last condish, etc LOL

LadyVictoria
May 6th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I use suave for my CO washing & a thick coney condish on my ends ONLY. Here is my exact routine: I soak my hair for a 3 minutes, then I apply a whole bunch of condish all over my soaking wet scalp (& I do mean a bunch), I work that in for a good 2 minutes, add some to the rest of my length and then pile all my hair up on top of my head & throw a shower cap on. I let that sit while I do all my other showerly duties (about 7-10 minutes) then I take the cap off, run my head under the water for about 2-3 seconds & massage my scalp again to loosen the rest of the dirt. Then I rinse for about 3-5 minutes (you have to rinse SUPER well when you CO), I then apply my thick coney condish to my ends only & let that sit for 2 minutes & rinse, rinse, rinse. Since by this time I am almost out of hot water (haha) I finish off with a cold water rinse & that's it! Time consuming? Yes. Worth it? Abso-frackin-lutely!

Deviantkitten, I don't know what kind of conditioner you use on your ends but I have found that if I apply a thick condish to my ends & then put my hair up that it leaves a residue on closer to my scalp than I would like which makes my hair look greasy. I have to let my hair hang loose in the shower when I condition my ends. The condish that I use for my ends is way too heavy for the rest of my hair. I have also found that I have the same problem if i damp bun after using thick conditioners no matter how good I rinse. I have noticed that my hair dries twice as fast with CO though which was the opposite of what I was expecting, hmmmm. I hope this helps :-)

I had to try CO 3 times before I found a way to do it that worked for me & now I am in love. I went years without ever letting any type of condish go anywhere my scalp because of my fine/limp/oily hair. I never thought that this method would work for me in a million years but I was completely wrong. My hair has more volume than ever before & it doesn't get oily for about 2 1/2 days! I used to look like a grease ball 12 hours after washing with shampoo.

deviantkitten
May 7th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I use suave for my CO washing & a thick coney condish on my ends ONLY. Here is my exact routine: I soak my hair for a 3 minutes, then I apply a whole bunch of condish all over my soaking wet scalp (& I do mean a bunch), I work that in for a good 2 minutes, add some to the rest of my length and then pile all my hair up on top of my head & throw a shower cap on. I let that sit while I do all my other showerly duties (about 7-10 minutes) then I take the cap off, run my head under the water for about 2-3 seconds & massage my scalp again to loosen the rest of the dirt. Then I rinse for about 3-5 minutes (you have to rinse SUPER well when you CO), I then apply my thick coney condish to my ends only & let that sit for 2 minutes & rinse, rinse, rinse. Since by this time I am almost out of hot water (haha) I finish off with a cold water rinse & that's it! Time consuming? Yes. Worth it? Abso-frackin-lutely!

Deviantkitten, I don't know what kind of conditioner you use on your ends but I have found that if I apply a thick condish to my ends & then put my hair up that it leaves a residue on closer to my scalp than I would like which makes my hair look greasy. I have to let my hair hang loose in the shower when I condition my ends. The condish that I use for my ends is way too heavy for the rest of my hair. I have also found that I have the same problem if i damp bun after using thick conditioners no matter how good I rinse. I have noticed that my hair dries twice as fast with CO though which was the opposite of what I was expecting, hmmmm. I hope this helps :-)

I had to try CO 3 times before I found a way to do it that worked for me & now I am in love. I went years without ever letting any type of condish go anywhere my scalp because of my fine/limp/oily hair. I never thought that this method would work for me in a million years but I was completely wrong. My hair has more volume than ever before & it doesn't get oily for about 2 1/2 days! I used to look like a grease ball 12 hours after washing with shampoo.

Thanks, LadyVictoria. It is encouraging. FYI I use Infusium moisturology condish for my final, which is super thick. It just boggles me how frizzy my ends are. I am not giving up tho!
Do you think I should clarify again before trying another method of CO?
Maybe I should try the Suave condish I bought next time? I think the VO5 condish is clarifying, so maybe this is the culprit.
Thanks for the info!

Pandora.
May 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I've just done my first CO wash. :)

I used Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Frizz Remedy Deep Treatment.
First, before I got in the shower, I put a bit of this in the ends of my hair.
Then, I rinsed with lukewarm water, after that I put another splodge of it through my ends, and left it for a few minutes. After those few minutes, I rinsed with lukewarm water again.

This is the very first time I've tried CO washing, and I'm rather nervous about it, in case my hair begins to get seriously greasy and disgusting.

moonlight
May 11th, 2010, 01:53 PM

This is the technique I use too, and I've gone months and months doing daily CO washing this way.

Then I cut my hair last year up to just above shoulder length and went back to my old habit of shampoo, condish, and blow dry every day.

Now that my hair is a little longer the APL, I'm going back to this CO method with Suave and I hope my hair will continue to like it as she once did.

Maybe this time I won't cut it back. I've never made it past APL. I hope to this time :)

Kristina713
May 16th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Still working on my CO experiment here. Last week I CO-ed every day, which worked well but was time consuming. Then, I washed with shampoo last Sunday and then CO-ed every second day this week. My hair was definitely soft and shiny, and it never got really dirty or greasy looking, but it did get flatter, straighter, and limper as the week went on (I have not-straight/not wavy thick hair). Yesterday, I was going to a friend's party, so I put some mousse and rag-rollers in my dry hair (I had COed the night before), left them in an hour for nice waves and volume, but by the time I got home, all the curl had fallen out and my hair was plastered to my head. Not so pretty. I feel like my hair is not exactly dirty, but it's "heavier." I miss the light, clean, breezy feeling of freshly-washed hair. But, at the same time, my hair does feel softer and the ends look less dead.

Anyway, the experiment continues. What to do this week? I think I'll wash with a clarifying shampoo today (I have some Neutrogena) for a fresh start. Then I'll try alternating CO and CWC every second day (so that would mean shampooing every fourth day). I want to find out how little I can shampoo my hair while still keeping it nice looking. I'll let you know how it goes.

Henrietta
May 18th, 2010, 01:24 AM
On Thursday I believe I will do my last coney- wash. Then I'll think about CO:) So I have a question.
Do you use leave-in conditioners to CO or the ones to rinse? I have both types, and both are actually thin, so it will be easy to massage them into my hair. But the one to rinse was more expensive:D

Erin-86
May 18th, 2010, 02:43 AM
I use the ones to rinse :)

Talula
May 18th, 2010, 12:38 PM
On Thursday I believe I will do my last coney- wash. Then I'll think about CO:) So I have a question.
Do you use leave-in conditioners to CO or the ones to rinse? I have both types, and both are actually thin, so it will be easy to massage them into my hair. But the one to rinse was more expensive:D

Most people use *cheap* conditioners for CO --- like Suave Naturals, VO5, and White Rain. They usually only cost a dollar or 2. :)

Hey, I just hit my 100th post! Neat-o. :)

Artsy
May 18th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I started CO washing this winter, just experimented, and only after it worked for me did my research:o My first CO wash failed, I have tried it before a few years ago, but that could be because of the coney build up, or I didn't keep the conditioner on my head long enough. I find that both my skin and my hair both don't like detergent, so the amount of detergent in conditioner is enough to clean my hair. I am CO washing 2 times, first with a cone free cheep conditioner, I think I've got Freeman Papaya Lime, and Papaya Coconut, these were 2 for 3 bucks in Canada. Sometimes I use Fructis Garenier, sometimes Dove. Herbal Essences gave me a build up even after one wash. Then I usually follow up with a moisturizing conditioner, sometimes with cones, sometimes without. I have probably a dozen of those, I usually like the ones with herbs.My favourite for the 2nd CO wash are Prarie Naturals and Victoria Secret Garden collection. I stock up on VS every time I visit US:cheese:
The reason I think CO wash is for me is because my hair is not dry right after wash, and the scalp is not as greasy next day, so I can stretch my washes an extra day and air dry.
________
EXTREME VAPORIZERS (http://www.vaporshop.com/extreme-q-vaporizer.html)

BelleBot
May 18th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I love CO washing, I always use cheap cone free conditioners, though natural source conditioners are a favourite of mine (tad pricier than my usual stuff). I don't suffer with a greasy scalp anymore and my hair loves CO washing. I think because I use the conditioner on my scalp, massage it and leave it on for 5 or 10 minutes it keeps my scalp moisturised so it doesn't need to produce as much sebum. It's fantastic. I can go 3 or 4 days between washes without seeing any grease, I could probably go longer though I like having clean hair. :D

Artsy
May 18th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Alrighty so.....I did my first CO wash, my hair is now completely dry, and here's what happened.....
My hair took a long while to dry. Afraid that this was residue and not damp hair, I just bunned it and didn't think about it. When I just took it down and combed it out.....a little bit of residue around the nape hair, but my ends were.....frizzy?
I used VO5 kiwi lime, a no cone conditioner. The shampoo I was using prior also had no cones, so I don't think no cones were the culpritThe last time I washed, 3 days ago I think, I actually clarified.....weird how I did that before even deciding to do CO.
The follow up conditioner I used was the same as I had been using before, which I LOVE, so I don't know if that was the culprit either.
Besides using CO, the only difference between that and my CO routine was that I didn't do a full night oiling, as I always did before I SC.
I know with each change in routine, there is always a "getting to know you" phase for your hair. Did anyone else have the frizz problem? I was kind of surprised, because I have Fine hair, and have never really gotten frizz like this before.
Here's how I did my CO-
Jumped in shower and got my hair wet, and applied VO5 (was really surprised on how mych it took!)
Made sure the VO5 was applied to whole head, including length.
Put it up, and let it sit for probably 7 minutes
Took hair down and did a long scalp massage, making sure to be very thorough
Rinsed it out for a few minutes at least...made sure I did a serious rinsing
Applied last conditioner as usual, put it up, let it sit for a few minutes, and again, washed thoroughly
Towel dried hair, but left it down to dry- I usually put it up in town do dry more.
FINGER COMBED!!!! I have never been able to do this before!!!! I was so excited
Let it dry for a good while, noticed there may be residue, so put it up
took it down, comped...frizzy ends
Not really dry just....frizzy. All the breakage I have is more noticeable than ever

Any comments
SORRY for the length of this post. Just wanted to be thorough so there wouldn't be 5 posts asking how long I left it on before massage, did I apply last condish, etc LOL

I find that if I don't do the oiling on my ends, they frizz out almost anyway, even if I dry it in a bun. I do the oiling from time to time, but very very lightly. And I use a herbal sprits on my dry hair. I tried making my own sprits out of camomile and rosehip tea, that's what my hair loves in every product, but it was too strong, so I use Prairie Naturals, or Herbal Essences straightening mousse.

________
Babi Mac (http://babimac.com/)

Henrietta
May 18th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I love CO washing, I always use cheap cone free conditioners, though natural source conditioners are a favourite of mine (tad pricier than my usual stuff). I don't suffer with a greasy scalp anymore and my hair loves CO washing. I think because I use the conditioner on my scalp, massage it and leave it on for 5 or 10 minutes it keeps my scalp moisturised so it doesn't need to produce as much sebum. It's fantastic. I can go 3 or 4 days between washes without seeing any grease, I could probably go longer though I like having clean hair. :D

I really, really, really hope it will do this for my hair too. That's exactly why I want to do CO. Now I wash every 4 days, we'll see what will happen after dropping out cones. Maybe I'll be able to stretch the washed to 5 days, and I hope I will be able to keep this frequency even after switching to CO.

Blueneko
May 22nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
I did my first CO last night. I had henna'd my hair for the first time in about 20 years a week ago and it turned out lovely. I ACV rinsed last night then used a lot of VO5 Tea Therapy for a good scalp, length, and ends CO. I left it on for about 15 minutes then got it a little wet and scrubbed again. Then I rinsed, wide-tooth combed and let it air dry.

The result were INSTANT. Probably 80% less frizz and soft fullness. My hair has amazing lift at the root and body right now. The next day I am grease free, frizz free, and still very full and lush.

I am excited! A new discovery after nearly my 3rd year on LHC.

jackie75
May 22nd, 2010, 07:51 PM
I've made a lot of changes in my hair care thanks to this awesome forum & I'm reaping the wonderful benefits. For years, I have used only conditioner instead of shampooing....not every time, but a lot because I struggled with course, dry hair. So I'm interested in learning more about this & I can think of a bunch of questions.

This thread is very long though....is there a CO FAQ that someone can point me to? Thanks! :o

Oops, I did find an article under the links to VIT....called "Analysis". No wonder I didn't notice it. I'll read through that, & I'll be back, lol!

fairytalegirl
May 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
After reading this I am planning to try this method.

Centifolia
May 23rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
I tried today this method for the first time... and it turned out great. My hair is wavier and I got A LOT of ringlets. It's also really clean. I just need to find out a cheaper cone-free conditioner now... which I think it's difficult here in Portugal.

Elleyena
May 26th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Today I decided to try this method again. Properly this time. I used my V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze clarifying conditioner. I think tomorrow I'll not wash my hair, just use my BBB, and then CO again. Right now I'm just waiting for my hair to dry. Can't wait to see the results!

dfotw
May 27th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I tried today this method for the first time... and it turned out great. My hair is wavier and I got A LOT of ringlets. It's also really clean. I just need to find out a cheaper cone-free conditioner now... which I think it's difficult here in Portugal.

Centifolia, if you find one, do tell me, please! I'm in Spain and my search of cheap, cone-free condish for CO has been most frustrating! :mad:

(oh, and I'm glad CO is working so well for you! :))

Barniie
May 28th, 2010, 04:29 AM
What types of hair is CO washing suitable for? I have just above APL blonde, oily hair. which is fine, but thick in a whole. I wash every other day with shampoo and conditioner, can i use CO aswell? If so, how do i do it? Any tips? Thanks xx:)

emmabovary
May 28th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I think CO can work for any type of hair. It usually brings out waves and curls nicely. If you're used to washing your hair with shampoo every other day you might find your hair feels greasy at first, but it should calm down once your scalp realizes it doesn't need to produce excess oil anymore :) You can use an SLS and cone free shampoo if you need to. As for how to do it, there are good instructions in the article section. I hope CO will work well for you :)

fairytalegirl
May 28th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I can't believe the difference in just doing this one time! I am just using up my strawberry suave because I love the smell then will clarify in a few weeks. I am loving the texture of my hair. It was so dry and crunchy on the ends and now feels so soft. I am wondering why this method doesn't make my hair greasy? I am on day 4 and it still feels great.

Barniie
May 28th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Hey guys, does this method work on APL length hair?
2. does it bring out natural curls?
3. can anyone use it? (even greasies?)
4. any other tips? (how often, shampooing occasionally, etc.)

Thanks xxxx

thriftesfai
May 29th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I love this thread. I've been COing for about two weeks now and my hair loves it. It has never felt better. I hope it stays this way.

Henrietta
May 31st, 2010, 01:14 AM
I did my first CO on Saturday. My hair felt slippery when it was wet and I didn't know if it was because of moisture or it was unwashed sebum. But after my hair dried up I saw that the sebum is washed off, my hair is as clean as after using shampoo but... it's dry. More than after clarifying shampoo and even more than after using my cone free but full of sulfates shampoo. What's wrong?
And it's dry not only on my lenght. On the lenght I wil put the second conditioner, heavier one next time. But my hair on the scalp is dry too:(
Maybe it's because I used leave in conditioner. When I used it after shampoo and I didn't rinse it, it made my hair soft...as feathers. But when I rinsed it, it cannot provide softness. Maybe I should buy the conditioner to rinse? I used to use it too few years ago. I remember that it made my hair totaly soft too.

I will post the lists:
To rinse: Aqua, Cetyl Alcohol, Behenoyl PG-Trimonium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Parfum, BenzylAlcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Glycerin, Citric Acid

Leave in- Aqua, Cetyl Alcohol, Behenoyl PG-Trimonium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, Parfum, Coumarin, Limonene, Eugenol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Alphaisomethyl, Isomethyl Ionone, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolino ne, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid

wickedwitch
June 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM
I know you're not supposed to put conditioner on your scalp. So how do you wash you scalp?

Thanks in advance.

Brisen
June 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM
I've done CO washes a few times. My hair always loves it at first, but then I tend to go back to shampoo & conditioner. Maybe I just need to shampoo occasionally. The conditioners I use usually have cones, maybe that's why.

(I haven't read the whole thread yet, just replying to sub.)

Laurenji
June 1st, 2010, 03:27 PM
wickedwitch, I use conditioner on my scalp while I'm COing and it doesn't give me any problems. I think if you're using the standard method of conditioning, you shouldn't condition your scalp, but if you're using the CO method, it's perfectly fine to put conditioner on your scalp.

RecklessCharlie
June 1st, 2010, 03:34 PM
I know you're not supposed to put conditioner on your scalp. So how do you wash you scalp?

Thanks in advance.
Actually, this is fortunately a myth! Not sure where it got started. It is perfectly okay to put conditioner on your scalp and that is a vital part of the CO method :) You apply conditioner ALL OVER your hair and scalp, allow to sit for several minutes and then rinse thoroughly, repeat if you wish.

PrincessFurball
June 1st, 2010, 04:40 PM
I've got a question for those who CWC-- Do you start out like you're doing a CO, rinse, then shampoo, and then do another CO, or is the the second C just applying conditioner like you normally would after a shampoo?

Eire
June 2nd, 2010, 10:40 AM
I've been COing for several months now, with the occasional clarifying shampooing (about 1 or 2/month). I only use conditioner from the ear level down, then usually braid my hair wet and in the morning, unbraid and go.

However, I've noticed an increase in dry skin on my scalp, sometimes flaking off. Do you think this is from the CO washing or the fact that the wet hair is being held against my scalp as it dries? Has anyone else seen an increase in dry skin with CO washing? Any remedies recommended for it?

GRU
June 2nd, 2010, 10:54 AM
I get "scalp rot" if my hair stays wet for a long period of time, so I'm always amazed at how many folks here can get away with braiding/bunning wet hair.

When you CO-wash your scalp, do you really rub it well, all over, with your fingers? Without the harsh ingredients, you need manual stimulation to exfoliate the dead cells -- if you're not getting them off that way, that might be what you're thinking is "dry/flaky" scalp???

Maybe try a brown-sugar scrub to see if that makes a difference?

*Aoife*
June 2nd, 2010, 10:57 AM
I've been COing for several months now, with the occasional clarifying shampooing (about 1 or 2/month). I only use conditioner from the ear level down, then usually braid my hair wet and in the morning, unbraid and go.

However, I've noticed an increase in dry skin on my scalp, sometimes flaking off. Do you think this is from the CO washing or the fact that the wet hair is being held against my scalp as it dries? Has anyone else seen an increase in dry skin with CO washing? Any remedies recommended for it?

Sorry, but are you washing your scalp at all then? Or are you WOing your scalp? Just trying to clarify your post. If you're not washing your scalp (with a product), I think that that could cause build up.

*Aoife*
June 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
I've got a question for those who CWC-- Do you start out like you're doing a CO, rinse, then shampoo, and then do another CO, or is the the second C just applying conditioner like you normally would after a shampoo?

When I CWC or C-COW-C I apply conditioner from the ears down, then scrub a little shampoo onto my scalp, wash that out and put a little conditioner on my scalp and a ton on my length. Then wash that off.

PrincessFurball
June 2nd, 2010, 12:11 PM
When I CWC or C-COW-C I apply conditioner from the ears down, then scrub a little shampoo onto my scalp, wash that out and put a little conditioner on my scalp and a ton on my length. Then wash that off.

I see, thanks! :)

zenobia
June 2nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
I'm having a little trouble with the CO method on my hair. I've been trying it out for about a week now, and I washed my hair last night. I rubbed the conditioner into my scalp and massaged well with my fingertips. When my hair dried, the hair near the scalp still seemed a little oily. Maybe it was the brand of conditioner? Or maybe I should go back to using a little shampoo up there.

Lianna
June 2nd, 2010, 12:42 PM
I'm having a little trouble with the CO method on my hair. I've been trying it out for about a week now, and I washed my hair last night. I rubbed the conditioner into my scalp and massaged well with my fingertips. When my hair dried, the hair near the scalp still seemed a little oily. Maybe it was the brand of conditioner? Or maybe I should go back to using a little shampoo up there.

Your hair needs a little time to adjust sebum production, will be less over time.

*Aoife*
June 2nd, 2010, 01:36 PM

I find you need to give it a good, hard scrub. Really work it in. And it depends on the conditioner. I have some that clean way better than others. It also takes a while for your scalp to adjust, but that shouldn't really happen after the first CO wash.

Lianna
June 2nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
I find you need to give it a good, hard scrub. Really work it in. And it depends on the conditioner. I have some that clean way better than others. It also takes a while for your scalp to adjust, but that shouldn't really happen after the first CO wash.

I'm sorry, didn't sound like was her first time since she was trying for about a week. I think I took about 2-3 weeks to adjust, from washing with shampoo everyday. Later on I found out I really don't need to just co-wash. But I'm here because I like to know how everyone is doing. :)

zenobia
June 2nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
Thank you, I will keep it up. The oil level was definitely lower than before showering, so it did help, even if it didn't get all the oil out.

LoversLullaby
June 2nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hello, I've been CO washing for the past two weeks except for a tiny shampoo on my bangs. I'M IN LOVE!!! My curls are so much more moisturized, and frizz is being cut down a lot. However, I am using the CG method of washing and while my hair feels better, it needs to be washed everyday. I'm going to try the LHC method of CO washing, eliminating the shampoo on the bangs, and trying to stretch out washes to every 3 days this weekend (so I don't have to go to school with hair looking like a greaseball). I'll let everyone know how it goes! :)

Lianna
June 2nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Hello, I've been CO washing for the past two weeks except for a tiny shampoo on my bangs. I'M IN LOVE!!! My curls are so much more moisturized, and frizz is being cut down a lot. However, I am using the CG method of washing and while my hair feels better, it needs to be washed everyday. I'm going to try the LHC method of CO washing, eliminating the shampoo on the bangs, and trying to stretch out washes to every 3 days this weekend (so I don't have to go to school with hair looking like a greaseball). I'll let everyone know how it goes! :)

I think it's okay to co-wash everyday. Doesn't the CG method say you must co-wash more often than you used to shampoo? I'm not saying you must everyday, of course. I'd like to know how long you can go without!

Henrietta
June 2nd, 2010, 04:57 PM
I was really afraid that CO won't work, but so far it works:D Condish removes all sebum and I don't have to wash more often.

I am trying to do domething with the fact that my hair, paradoxically, is dry after CO. I used the second condish for the lenght and I've noticed that keeping conditioner shorter on your head (10 minutes instead of 30, like I did before) helps with the dryness.

LoversLullaby
June 2nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
I think it's okay to co-wash everyday. Doesn't the CG method say you must co-wash more often than you used to shampoo? I'm not saying you must everyday, of course. I'd like to know how long you can go without!
I think it's fine to co wash everyday too, I'm just too lazy to do it. :D
The CG method uses WAY less conditioner than the LHC method too.

Eire
June 3rd, 2010, 05:19 AM
I get "scalp rot" if my hair stays wet for a long period of time, so I'm always amazed at how many folks here can get away with braiding/bunning wet hair.

When you CO-wash your scalp, do you really rub it well, all over, with your fingers? Without the harsh ingredients, you need manual stimulation to exfoliate the dead cells -- if you're not getting them off that way, that might be what you're thinking is "dry/flaky" scalp???

Maybe try a brown-sugar scrub to see if that makes a difference?

Yeah, I always massage my scalp thoroughly with my fingers. The dry flakes aren't extreme or anything, just slightly noticeable and sometimes my scalp feels a little itchy. I might try the brown sugar thing. Also, I heard vinegar might help?

Sammybunny711
June 3rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
I'm going back to CO washes because my scalp has soooooooo many flakies! It does the best when I am doing CO, so back to CO I go! (haha, that rhymed...)

P.S>--- all you people who are thinking of trying it...GO FOR IT. CO is the best.

GRU
June 3rd, 2010, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I always massage my scalp thoroughly with my fingers. The dry flakes aren't extreme or anything, just slightly noticeable and sometimes my scalp feels a little itchy. I might try the brown sugar thing. Also, I heard vinegar might help?

Vinegar could help, if you have a pH imbalance problem. I use a splash of ACV in a big cup of water after rinsing out my conditioner.

Do you use any other products that might be an issue? Or maybe a particular conditioner that you're having a reaction to? (maybe it's the product, not the procedure, that's causing the problem?)

Henrietta
June 3rd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Vinegar could help, if you have a pH imbalance problem. I use a splash of ACV in a big cup of water after rinsing out my conditioner.

Do you use any other products that might be an issue? Or maybe a particular conditioner that you're having a reaction to? (maybe it's the product, not the procedure, that's causing the problem?)

Exactly. If there's something wrong with CO, in most cases it's an issue of to short rinsing or bad product. Try to change it, even if you used to use it previously for a long time and it worked. Things like to change sometimes.

Talula
June 5th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I think it's fine to co wash everyday too, I'm just too lazy to do it. :D
The CG method uses WAY less conditioner than the LHC method too.

How is the CG method done?

*Helen*
June 5th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I've tried co-washing but my scalp was itchy.I'm gonna try it again but this time with no cones condicioner :D

Rainchants
June 5th, 2010, 04:56 AM
My hair and scalp love CO! Especially with heavy conditioners my curls are springy and shiny, although I have baby fine hair.

hairg33k
June 5th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I've tried CO with my VO5 conditioner and it works pretty well but i can usually only make it one day without shampoo since i have a greasy scalp. So, I've been trying to do an ACV rinse the next day (with tons of conditioner before and a little after) to stretch it out and only wash my hair once every three days. So far, so good :)

dainaleeo2
June 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I've been CO-ing for a few weeks, since I used to do it all the time & stopped for some strange reason. Who knows.
Lately, since it's been hot & humid, I've actually had to do it every day, so I'm just glad that most don't think it's too bad. I'd like to wait longer, but my bangs...eh, they'll get greasy fast.

I use the Hair One stuff which is the cheaper version of Wen at Sally's. I really really like it too :)
CO-ing makes me feel like I'm moisturizing my hair even more than usual, since shampoos...completely can kill [ or killed ] my already dry hair :(

Holly9192
June 6th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Hi, I usually cwc. But this week I coed a couple times in between and my hair felt great! :) I'm really happy about adding it to my routine.

LoversLullaby
June 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
How is the CG method done?This site explains the more CG style of CO washing. I prefer the LHC method, but that's just me. :) http://www.ehow.com/i/#article_4619919

Henrietta
June 7th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Two days ago I did CO with rinse out instead of leave in. And... my hair is still dry. BUT I know the splution. It's not about the conditioner. It's about time. When I keep the condish on my head shorter, like 15 minutes, it's ok. When it stays on my head for 30 minutes- it makes my hair dry.
But it would be nice to find another brand of condishes to CO in Poland. First of all they are coney in 90% and expensive, packed in little bottles. But hopefully the shortening of time will help...
About the condition of my hair- it's soft and shiny on the ends. I believe it will be so at my scalp area too when I will fix the perfect time to leave condish on my head.
Using second sonditioner after washing helps too :)

SapphiraSilver
June 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM
(Sorry about the long post, I won't do it again lol)

Hi, I am new here. Wanted to join and meet all of you. First off, I have thinning hair, little of it at the front, prone to hair loss, naturally wavy and very frizzy. I am a dark ash blond and I have always lightened as light as possible. 5 weeks ago, I made the terrible mistake of going to the salon and bleaching it, which I regret because it has left my hair in complete ruin. Fried, dry, it has broken off at the front and all over, and I cannot do anything with it at all. I cut it shorter into a bob like style just above the chin, making me sad because I have been trying to grow it for years and never could because its so thin and falls out.

I am now going to stop colouring and let my natural hair grow out and not touch it with dyes anymore. But I needed to help my current severely damaged hair somehow, so since bleaching, my bathroom is filled with a million different products, shampoos, conditioners, treatments, oils, serums ranging from cheap to very expensive and I have tried everything I possibly can to make my hair softer and repaired a little and nothing has worked. I stopped blow drying for a while, tried natural remedies, tried heavy remedies, nothing.

Then I decided I have nothing to lose now, so I tried conditioner only washing. It didn't work out so well, left my hair limp and flat. I decided that I wasn't going to give up so I tried different ones, ones with cones, ones without, light ones, heavy ones, cheap ones, expensive ones. I was ready to give up, but then, 3 days ago I used Dove. Dove Conditioner Therapy for Dry and Damaged hair, and that was it. I had found it finally. I don't care that it has cones or whatever because after I use it, my hair is so soft, and clean, washed as if I used shampoo without the harsh feel. The conditioner is creamy and thick and lathers so easily, unlike all the others I used, it's just wonderful. 3 days I been Conditioning only with it and its now shiny, and softer, less frizzy and I am finally enjoying the new colour and I have never had this much volume. You can't really tell anymore that its thinning. I'll still shampoo once a week or once in two weeks just to get any build up out but that's it. I hope.

So my advice to all of you who want to go CO but haven't had success with it, or those who are thinking about trying it. Don't give up yet, because it is just a matter of searching and finding the one that is right for you. It's out there somewhere! I hope that you find it!

Good luck to you all and lovely to meet you :)

Henrietta
June 8th, 2010, 04:28 AM
(Sorry about the long post, I won't do it again lol)

Hi, I am new here. Wanted to join and meet all of you. First off, I have thinning hair, little of it at the front, prone to hair loss, naturally wavy and very frizzy. I am a dark ash blond and I have always lightened as light as possible. 5 weeks ago, I made the terrible mistake of going to the salon and bleaching it, which I regret because it has left my hair in complete ruin. Fried, dry, it has broken off at the front and all over, and I cannot do anything with it at all. I cut it shorter into a bob like style just above the chin, making me sad because I have been trying to grow it for years and never could because its so thin and falls out.

I am now going to stop colouring and let my natural hair grow out and not touch it with dyes anymore. But I needed to help my current severely damaged hair somehow, so since bleaching, my bathroom is filled with a million different products, shampoos, conditioners, treatments, oils, serums ranging from cheap to very expensive and I have tried everything I possibly can to make my hair softer and repaired a little and nothing has worked. I stopped blow drying for a while, tried natural remedies, tried heavy remedies, nothing.

Then I decided I have nothing to lose now, so I tried conditioner only washing. It didn't work out so well, left my hair limp and flat. I decided that I wasn't going to give up so I tried different ones, ones with cones, ones without, light ones, heavy ones, cheap ones, expensive ones. I was ready to give up, but then, 3 days ago I used Dove. Dove Conditioner Therapy for Dry and Damaged hair, and that was it. I had found it finally. I don't care that it has cones or whatever because after I use it, my hair is so soft, and clean, washed as if I used shampoo without the harsh feel. The conditioner is creamy and thick and lathers so easily, unlike all the others I used, it's just wonderful. 3 days I been Conditioning only with it and its now shiny, and softer, less frizzy and I am finally enjoying the new colour and I have never had this much volume. You can't really tell anymore that its thinning. I'll still shampoo once a week or once in two weeks just to get any build up out but that's it. I hope.

So my advice to all of you who want to go CO but haven't had success with it, or those who are thinking about trying it. Don't give up yet, because it is just a matter of searching and finding the one that is right for you. It's out there somewhere! I hope that you find it!

Good luck to you all and lovely to meet you :)

You're welcome to do it again:) Everyone like to read a long post from time to time:D

If your hair is not likely to absorbe cones quickly, so far I think it's not bad to use coney condish for CO. My hair was greasy the very next day after putting coney condish, even as a normal one, not the one for CO, so i prefer cone-free. I am cone free at all since few weeks, but for damaged hair I believe it's not bad to use cones for a while. When your hair will feel better you will able to drop out cones at every moment if you will notice too much build up.
I had a haystack on my head after carifying, and I invented a magic mixture. About 5/10 olive oil, 3/10 coconut oil, 2/10 castor oil. I mixed them because they were the only "hair" oils I had in my house. And it works perfect. I put in on dry hair and kept in under a shower cap and a towel for more that 2 hours. Then wash with shampoo, conditioner won't remove it. Such deep therapy should work for your bleached hair, though I know you've tried many things already. Do it like... once a week maybe. After 3 times you should see results.

And to me CO is the best invention ever, if we are talking about hair. (If not, it's chocolate:D)

P.S- I should have wrote it in the first place- we are happy you joined us! :)

allnaturalboy
June 8th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I have been COing exclusively for about 2 weeks now. It works ok... but I'm still slightly miffed about it. It seems no matter how long I rinse for, my hair is still slightly oily. Not much, but not as clean as I want it.

I was using Wen for months, and it worked great until I got build up from the dimethicone. Then I switched back to shampoo and conditioner for a few months since Wen is too expensive anyway. The Wen made my hair completely clean, yet really soft for awhile. I assumed (after checking the CO method out), that regular conefree conditioner would work better since it doesn't have the dimethicone in it.

Wen ingredients list:
WENŽ Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner
Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Wheat, Protein, Panthenol, Butylene Glycol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 60, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Amodimethicone, Citric Acid, Menthol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance (Parfum, Limonene.

White Rain Extra Body
Water, cetyl alcohol, dicetyldimonium chloride, citric acid, glycerin, stearyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, ceteareth-20, panthenol (provitamin B5), behenyl alcohol, fragrance, EDTA, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, ethylparaben, butylparaben, propylparaben.

WREB just doesn't work as well, which is weird to me since Wen has moisturizers in it. Also, I use the WR in about the same way as I used the Wen. What is in Wen that makes it more cleansing? If someone could point that out to me, maybe I can buy something to mix with my WREB. Not to mention, possibly help others out who are having the same problem.

GRU
June 8th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Have you tried anything besides WREB for CO? Many people have been "meh" about CO-washing, then tried it with a different product and been thrilled with the results.

Personally, I use Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner, and my scalp (and hair) is in better shape now than back when I was using SLS shampoo 2-4 times a week.

There are other cheap cone-free conditioners out there -- try a few different types to find out if there's something that works better for your head.

allnaturalboy
June 8th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I actually went out and bought the Suave Tropical Coconut the other day, along with the v05 pomegranate. Haven't tried them yet though. Will do and see what happens.

GRU
June 8th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I actually went out and bought the Suave Tropical Coconut the other day, along with the v05 pomegranate. Haven't tried them yet though. Will do and see what happens.

After you've tried them for a week or so each, post back here with your findings -- it might prove helpful to others who are going through the same thing!

BTW, the Suave TC smells divine!!!

allnaturalboy
June 8th, 2010, 06:52 PM
After you've tried them for a week or so each, post back here with your findings -- it might prove helpful to others who are going through the same thing!

BTW, the Suave TC smells divine!!!

Will do! :D

Gilly
June 9th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I want to try COing with the Tresseme naturals conditioner, has anyone tried it?

Henrietta
June 9th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I want to try COing with the Tresseme naturals conditioner, has anyone tried it?

Personally, I didn't but I know some people here use it for CO:)

steph in tx
June 9th, 2010, 08:51 AM

I did it but I felt like my hair was too oily or slippery afterward so I am doing a compromise. I CO with White Rain and then use the Tresseme afterwards just like in a regular wash. It works great!

Gilly
June 10th, 2010, 03:26 PM
That's great! I have a huge bottle of it sitting in the shower now!!
I'm going to give it a go!:cheese:

rosyaddie
June 10th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I just did my very first CO wash today! For a while I have been washing my hair with a gentle or low-poo shampoo, and today I washed with TresEMME Naturals Nourishing Moisture conditioner. My scalp and hair feel great, light, fluffy, silky, and tangle free.

GRU
June 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Welcome to the club, rosyaddie! :D

inty
June 11th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Hi all,

I have tried CO a year ago and it didn't work for me, it just wasn't cleaning my hair at all, maybe I did it wrong :)

Tried it just now with different conditioner - wow, it seems to have worked! :cheese:

I have a couple of questions tho:

I didn't condition with second conditioner afterwards - forgot... My hair is silky but kind of ... too fluffly, too light... Is this ok? I will try to condition next time when I wash, in 6 days hopefully, then we'll see if that changes.

* I seem to have lost a ton of hair. I don't loose that much with any other washing method I tried - sls/non sls shampoos and shampoo bars. Is this normal?

* I also did ACV rinse afterwards - I like how it makes my hair feel after any wash. Is it safe to use those once a week or so?

* Also: if there anyone here who was washing once in every 5-6 days with sls/non-sls shampoo, and then switched to CO, how often did you have to wash with CO method? More/less often? How was your transition?

Overall, I liked it, waiting for my hair to dry.
If I get it right I might try to add leave-ins or curl cream if needed....
Only my hands got so tired of scrubbing. :hmm:

Thank a lot in advance for any info!

Uinda
June 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I CWC on sundays and CO twice in between. My hair is always clean and silky, I love it.
During the summer I think I have to CO more often because the heat and sweat makes my scalp greasy. CO is definitely the way to go for me :)

x0h_bother
June 11th, 2010, 12:56 PM
* I seem to have lost a ton of hair. I don't loose that much with any other washing method I tried - sls/non sls shampoos and shampoo bars. Is this normal?

* I also did ACV rinse afterwards - I like how it makes my hair feel after any wash. Is it safe to use those once a week or so?

In my experience, I lost a ton of hair when I did CO and ACV. Obviously I'm not sure which was the culprit, but my instincts say it was the CO affecting scalp issues/health. I switched back because I need my hair!

GRU
June 11th, 2010, 01:01 PM

I have a feeling that your excess hair loss (if there really was any) was due to the excessive scrubbing. I don't really scrub my scalp all that much more than when I used to use shampoo, other than I'm more careful about making sure I don't miss any spots. I don't use excessive pressure and I don't use a lot of extra time.

I use one almost every single day, so once a week is perfectly fine. Just to confirm, you did dilute the ACV significantly, right? I use about a 1-3 tsp. of ACV with about 30 oz. of water.

allnaturalboy
June 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM
For the moment, I've totally given up on COing. No matter what I do and no matter how much conditioner I use, my hair is slightly greasy. I just switched back to S&C and my hair is soft, shiny, and silky. My hair can be kind of greasy and its fine, so I think that may be the culprit. I even tried leaving the conditioner on for half an hour, and still the same result. I rinse for about 5 minutes too, massaging my scalp while I do so. I've tried 2 different Suave Naturals, 3 different V05s, and the White Rain Extra Body. Maybe I will give it a try again in the future, but for now, I think I give up. Anyone else have this problem?

I was thinking that maybe it might be because I was washing with S&C everyday for awhile, that maybe my hair just isn't used to it. However, I've been COing for about 3 weeks and I think that is enough time for the transition. Maybe CO just isn't for me? I don't know. The best results so far that I've ever had with my hair routine is S&C that is SLS and cone free. I think I'm just going to stick with that, at least for now.

Henrietta
June 11th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Hi all,

I have tried CO a year ago and it didn't work for me, it just wasn't cleaning my hair at all, maybe I did it wrong :)

Tried it just now with different conditioner - wow, it seems to have worked! :cheese:

I have a couple of questions tho:

I didn't condition with second conditioner afterwards - forgot... My hair is silky but kind of ... too fluffly, too light... Is this ok? I will try to condition next time when I wash, in 6 days hopefully, then we'll see if that changes.

* Also: if there anyone here who was washing once in every 5-6 days with sls/non-sls shampoo, and then switched to CO, how often did you have to wash with CO method? More/less often? How was your transition?

Overall, I liked it, waiting for my hair to dry.
If I get it right I might try to add leave-ins or curl cream if needed....

Thank a lot in advance for any info!

Yes, there is someone who was washing... etc. :):):)
I used to wash with coney shampoo every 3 days, then I hardly stretched it to every 4, then I left cones, but it was still SLS shampoo, but parabens free, and stretched the washed to every 4-5 days, it was easy with cone free products, and as my hair looked dry without cones I decided to start CO earlier that I planned. And so far I still can wash every 4-5 days. It's better than I thought it would be. But, as my condish makes my hair a little dry at the beginning (I kept it too long on my head) I use the second condish for my length after washing. And now everything is ok. My hair is as clear as after using a shampoo and I still can wash every 4-5 days. I want it to be stable 5. But now it's summer. Bad time to stretch washes:D I really thought I will have to go back to every 3 days washes, but... no. :)

GRU
June 11th, 2010, 05:16 PM
For the moment, I've totally given up on COing. No matter what I do and no matter how much conditioner I use, my hair is slightly greasy. I just switched back to S&C and my hair is soft, shiny, and silky. My hair can be kind of greasy and its fine, so I think that may be the culprit.

Fine hair is harder to CO-wash, from what I've been reading. It takes VERY little grease to make fine hair greasy-looking, whereas I leave full-strength conditioner in my M/C, 3b/3c hair every single day and you'd never be able to tell.

SapphiraSilver
June 11th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Hi :) Just wanted to ask, the people who condition only and shampoo maybe once a week or fortnight.

How often do you condition only? every day? every second, or few days?

Also, do you know if the heat protective sprays before blow drying really do protect your hair from damage. I am guilty of blow drying a lot, pretty much every day and it broke my hair so I have now started using the protective spray, just wanted to know if its safe to blow dry with it.

I have to blow dry, my hair is just really awful, flat, frizzy and gross if I don't. It also looks great after a CO wash.

inty
June 12th, 2010, 02:40 AM
In my experience, I lost a ton of hair when I did CO and ACV. Obviously I'm not sure which was the culprit, but my instincts say it was the CO affecting scalp issues/health. I switched back because I need my hair!

In my case shedding could be due to too much scribbing as someone pointed out.
ACV itself didn't cause me to shed when used after S&C...
I see more experimenting coming :)

I have a feeling that your excess hair loss (if there really was any) was due to the excessive scrubbing. I don't really scrub my scalp all that much more than when I used to use shampoo, other than I'm more careful about making sure I don't miss any spots. I don't use excessive pressure and I don't use a lot of extra time.

I use one almost every single day, so once a week is perfectly fine. Just to confirm, you did dilute the ACV significantly, right? I use about a 1-3 tsp. of ACV with about 30 oz. of water.

Thanks for your answer, GRU, it is very enlightening!
I was concious about scrubbing, maybe even too much (I thought good scrubbing that *is* what makes the whole thing work!)... I will try scrubbing less/with less pressure and see if that helps to lose less hair, and still stay clean.

And yes, I use very diluted ACV rinse: it is about 1-2 tbs in 1 liter water, the water barely gets the very light-yellow colour :)

This morning my hair still feels good, although a bit tangled (huh, I combed it :)
Will see when I need the next wash. I don't think I will use CO as my only washing method; most likely it will serve me as a midweek refresher, and S&C and some nice treatment or soak in the weekend. Good to have those things in the arsenal :)

Yes, there is someone who was washing... etc. :):):)
I used to wash with coney shampoo every 3 days, then I hardly stretched it to every 4, then I left cones, but it was still SLS shampoo, but parabens free, and stretched the washed to every 4-5 days, it was easy with cone free products, and as my hair looked dry without cones I decided to start CO earlier that I planned. And so far I still can wash every 4-5 days. It's better than I thought it would be. But, as my condish makes my hair a little dry at the beginning (I kept it too long on my head) I use the second condish for my length after washing. And now everything is ok. My hair is as clear as after using a shampoo and I still can wash every 4-5 days. I want it to be stable 5. But now it's summer. Bad time to stretch washes:D I really thought I will have to go back to every 3 days washes, but... no. :)

Thanks! This is enspiring. I will try and see what works for me. Maybe I will alternate CO and ordinary S&C (conefree) and see, maybe I will be able to shampoo only a couple of times a month...

eamane
June 12th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I haven't used schampoo for several years now, doing only CO about once a week, sometimes even able to stretch almost two weeks. However, I find, now using chemical dye on my roots, and it getting hotter as it's (supposed to be) summer, I have to CO more often. Or rather, I can CO once a week, as long as I WO once between.
Someone with similar experiences?

ButterCream
June 12th, 2010, 08:49 AM
In my case shedding could be due to too much scribbing as someone pointed out.
ACV itself didn't cause me to shed when used after S&C...
I see more experimenting coming :)

What is that? scribbing?
I CO my hair and wondering what that word means? Tried to search the interned but couldn`t find anything conclusive...
I am Norwegian so I am not familiar with the term...sorry:o

OperaTeacherMom
June 12th, 2010, 09:05 AM
What is that? scribbing?
I CO my hair and wondering what that word means? Tried to search the interned but couldn`t find anything conclusive...

That is someone mis-spelling scrubbing, sorry they confused you!

When I CO, I don't really think "scrub", I think about massaging the conditioner into the scalp. Those of you who had little/no success with CO, pay attention to proteins and emollients/humectants. Coarser hair generally can't handle much protein, while fine hair like mine drinks it up. Fine hair can't handle a lot of emollients or humectants (things like oils, anything really moisturizing) or it starts to look a bit greasy. Still feels super soft and clean, but looks greasy. Most coarser hair types need all that extra moisture!

Iron0Maiden
June 12th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I used to co-wash... I tried it for 3 months but then switched back to a natural shampoo, beause it weighed down my hair and made it all wavy. When I switched back to shampoo, it had more body to it.
I guess what I'm saying is Co-Washing does not work for me! Haha! I think it works best for afro-type hair, or really thick hair.

OperaTeacherMom
June 12th, 2010, 10:26 AM
My hair is neither afro-type or thick, but it works really well for me! I do have curls, but 3a hardly qualifies as an afro lol

GRU
June 12th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I do think that CO works better for people who either have Medium, Medium/Coarse, or Coarse hair, and also for people with curly hair.

Fine hair just gets weighed down (and therefore dirty/greasy-looking) so easily that it seems to need to have every last bit of grease/dirt removed, whereas Medium to Coarse hair are a bit more resilient in that regard. And curly hair is naturally porous, so it "soaks up" any natural scalp oils and is constantly looking for more. It seems that most of the people who simply cannot handle CO-washing have fine and/or straight hair.

In my case, my hair is Medium/Coarse and curly, so it really loves the CO method!

merseaone
June 12th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I CO and I have baby fine hair. I use Aloe Gel on the back and hair gel on the top which I curl. works for me and saves money!

inty
June 12th, 2010, 10:10 PM
What is that? scribbing?

Sorry what I meant was 'scrubbing'. I've made a mistake!
See, u and i are next to each other on my keyboard :o

MonikaHa
June 13th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Full strength conditioner was weighing my hair down, so now I use it diluted, 1 part conditioner, 3 parts water. Pour it on dry hair when I get in the shower, do my things, then gently scrub scalp, rinse with cold water and ACV. Works great. My hair is straight and somewhat fine/medium.

ButterCream
June 13th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Sorry what I meant was 'scrubbing'. I've made a mistake!
See, u and i are next to each other on my keyboard :o

Looooool, okay, then I understand *giggles*

I really should have gotten that (*slaps forhead*)
I just thought maybe it was an awesome new super effective way of doing something that gave great hairgrowth that I didn`t know about, or something:o

Thanks for letting me know:), sorry didn`t mean to make you feel uncomfortable:o

SapphiraSilver
June 14th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Hello.
I find that it helps doing it twice. First I condition only, like a shampoo, a lot of it and massage it in. Leave it on for about 5-10 mins, adding water now and then a little and massaging. Then wash it off normally, then I use the same conditioner (or a different if you prefer that) and just put it on lightly on top like you were only doing the ends, or damaged parts, and leave that on for only a min or 2, then wash it off again, turns out better.

I find that because the first is left on longer, the length of time makes it a little, maybe rough feeling after you dry the hair, but adding the second conditioner on top, it softens it. So first one is to clean it, and second to soften. This works well for blow drying too :) Just wanted to share.

hoolahooper
June 14th, 2010, 08:30 PM
CO eventually built-up on my hair, but it seems to work for many people

LoveMyMutt
June 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I do think that CO works better for people who either have Medium, Medium/Coarse, or Coarse hair, and also for people with curly hair.

Fine hair just gets weighed down (and therefore dirty/greasy-looking) so easily that it seems to need to have every last bit of grease/dirt removed, whereas Medium to Coarse hair are a bit more resilient in that regard. And curly hair is naturally porous, so it "soaks up" any natural scalp oils and is constantly looking for more. It seems that most of the people who simply cannot handle CO-washing have fine and/or straight hair.

In my case, my hair is Medium/Coarse and curly, so it really loves the CO method!

I think it's the porosity more than the fineness that cause issues with CO-washing. My hair is very fine (but also very thick and wavy/curly) and it LOVEs CO-washing. I haven't used shampoo in a year and a half.

Mind you, my hair is very dry and porous. You would not believe how much conditioner and oil and other stuff I can put in it w/out it getting weighed down. What did weigh it down and make it looks greasy were cones, and sulfate shampoos made the roots greasy and the ends like straw.

My three daughters all have fine, thick, virgin hair that is only slightly wavy; they do a low-poo once a week or so but their hair never looks greasy or weighed down either. But before I learned about sulfates/cones etc., and bought coney sulfate shampoos, their hair would look greasy after 2 or 3 days.

Teufelchen
June 15th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I have fine hair as welll and my hair gets not weighted down by CO, but I can only do 2-3 in a row, then I have to use a mild poo to remove any build-up on the scalp. which makes my hair look greasy. Perhaps that helps some people with fine and straight hair.

Iron0Maiden
June 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I dont think CO works for me...

ochikita
June 18th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Yahhoooo, I just finished reading all 124 pages...I also think that if newbies bothered to read at least the first ten, then this thread would be much shorter ;););):):):)

Anyway, I am giving COing a try. So far I am on wash #3. The first one was great. The second one (although this is where I switched to a cone free conditioner left me feeling too greasy too soon i.e. the next day). So I decided to clarify with a shampoo today. My ends are looking worse than the first two times, but for now, the scalp is my main concern. So far, I've been very pleased with one fact - it practically stopped itching. We have very hard water (I use a filter in the shower and for drinking) and over the years my scalp got worse and worse. Besides driving me nuts, I do not think it is good for my hair. After looking at so many inspiring pictures on the LHC forum, I am trying to grow it out from shoulder length to APL.

Finally, thank you everyone who participates in this thread and answers questions and reviews products. Your input is very helpful to newcomers like me. :cheese:

emma907
June 19th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I started CO washing in march, I took a photo before with my - normally always straightened hair au natural and curly - looking rather fluffy and poofy...

fast forward to now, and the change is amazing, I never realised how good my curls can look since trying the CO washing. :D

[the pics' are in my album if anyone is interested]

It did take a while for the routine to settle, my hair was pretty fly away and fluffy for a couple of weeks, but has settled down well. I don't even use expensive CO (cone free) just the cheapest I could find in the shop.

That said I do find I have to use a dilute sulphate wash every now and again to remove build-up.

Looking at all the posts here, I think people with straight finer hair tend to not go too well with CO, but folk with curly-er hair and coarser hair benefit the most... but it could be a coincidence.

Svenja
June 19th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Forgive me for not going through ALL the pages of the thread. I am afraid it'd take me about 10 years :(
I was wondering if one you gorgeous ladies could maybe write some instructions for CO wash into the article section. I couldn't find one there. And it might help us beginners to get the "how to" bit quicker than reading through a huuuuge thread like that.

:flowers:

*Aoife*
June 19th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Svenja: That could be handy, but there are so many different ways that people do it, that an article would also be absurdly long. Everyone has a different way of tackling each problem that can occur with CO washing.

Svenja
June 19th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I see *Aiofe*. I thought it might be pretty straight-forward. Something like: wet your hair, applu conditioner, leave it on for x minutes, rinse it. I was wrong :( Shame!
Thank you! :)

SapphiraSilver
June 20th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Hi
This is to the Australian's out there. I was just wondering if you could give me a list of conditioners with no cones, that I can easily buy in Australia. I've looked up lists but have not been able to find any of them here, so I need to know some that exists here in Australia.

Thank you!

*Aoife*
June 20th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Svenja: I'm sorry. I had this thing in my head that said there was something like that on the first page of the thread! It must be in the archived/old CO thread. I feel like a bit of an idiot now :o

Hi
This is to the Australian's out there. I was just wondering if you could give me a list of conditioners with no cones, that I can easily buy in Australia. I've looked up lists but have not been able to find any of them here, so I need to know some that exists here in Australia.

Thank you!

This thread probably gives cone free conditioners: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46&highlight=Australia+conditioner

Are you an Inheritance Trilogy/Series fan?

nyia
June 20th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Svenja, there doesn't seem to be any set of rules for using the CO method, but there does seem to be a consensus about a couple of things. By the way, I've been using CO for over 4 years now, and reading this forum for at least that long, even before the LHC crashed and moved to this server. I started using CO because the detangler I was using was discontinued, and since I have very fine, curly, tangly hair, I was desperately seeking some method that would reduce tangles. What I found here was much more, and changed my life and health profile as well.

The first point of agreement seems to be that most of us do a "condition, rinse, repeat" kind of routine. This only means that most of us use the first condition to scrub our hair and/or scalp, rinse that away, then condition again to actually condition the hair itself. Some of us use different conditioners for the two steps, some use the same. Some use the first step to scrub all the way to the scalp, some never let conditioner touch the scalp. Some of us leave the first step conditioner stay on our hair/scalp for a long time, some do it in a hurry. Do what's best for you.

The second point of agreement seems to be that everyone does a bit of searching and trying different conditioners, till they find the one(s) that suit their hair, allergy, and skin needs the best. The sad thing about this is that it seems like we just find the one conditioner that's "perfect" for our needs, and it becomes discontinued. This is why a lot of us keep the search for matches going long after we find the one that seems to fit the best.

The third point is that the majority of us seem to have a case of "greasies" or limp hair during the first week or two of CO. This makes sense when you consider the huge change you're making in your personal care routine. Cutting out shampoo changes how you clean your hair and scalp, and it will take a while to get used to that. For some of us, tho, cutting out shampoo has made such a huge difference that we can't even consider going back.

And, a last point of agreement seems to be that we all, at some time, will clarify our hair. The favorite method seems to be using Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and water. This is also done all the way to the scalp, and it's mostly to remove any build-up that occurs.

Good luck to you on this voyage of discovery. If nothing else, you'll find it interesting to note the changes it makes in your hair and scalp.

Teufelchen
June 21st, 2010, 03:22 AM
Nyia, what a wonderfull and inspiring text on CO.
I have fine hair as well, but stick straigt and CO works for me as well, I just have to clarify more often than others, but that's not a problem at all.
I really love the feeling after a CO wash.
I just do a Pre-wash treatment then rinse this away, apply diluted CO to my scalp and lenght, massage my scalp a little bit, let it sit for approx 15 more minutes and then rinse it. I use a highly diluted acidic rinse after each wash. And my hair does not look greasy at all, in fact it looks much better than with shampoo.

So all you straigt hair girls out there, give CO a try, its worth it.

Neoma
June 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Svenja, there doesn't seem to be any set of rules for using the CO method, but there does seem to be a consensus about a couple of things. By the way, I've been using CO for over 4 years now, and reading this forum for at least that long, even before the LHC crashed and moved to this server. I started using CO because the detangler I was using was discontinued, and since I have very fine, curly, tangly hair, I was desperately seeking some method that would reduce tangles. What I found here was much more, and changed my life and health profile as well.

The first point of agreement seems to be that most of us do a "condition, rinse, repeat" kind of routine. This only means that most of us use the first condition to scrub our hair and/or scalp, rinse that away, then condition again to actually condition the hair itself. Some of us use different conditioners for the two steps, some use the same. Some use the first step to scrub all the way to the scalp, some never let conditioner touch the scalp. Some of us leave the first step conditioner stay on our hair/scalp for a long time, some do it in a hurry. Do what's best for you.

The second point of agreement seems to be that everyone does a bit of searching and trying different conditioners, till they find the one(s) that suit their hair, allergy, and skin needs the best. The sad thing about this is that it seems like we just find the one conditioner that's "perfect" for our needs, and it becomes discontinued. This is why a lot of us keep the search for matches going long after we find the one that seems to fit the best.

The third point is that the majority of us seem to have a case of "greasies" or limp hair during the first week or two of CO. This makes sense when you consider the huge change you're making in your personal care routine. Cutting out shampoo changes how you clean your hair and scalp, and it will take a while to get used to that. For some of us, tho, cutting out shampoo has made such a huge difference that we can't even consider going back.

And, a last point of agreement seems to be that we all, at some time, will clarify our hair. The favorite method seems to be using Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and water. This is also done all the way to the scalp, and it's mostly to remove any build-up that occurs.

Good luck to you on this voyage of discovery. If nothing else, you'll find it interesting to note the changes it makes in your hair and scalp.
nyia, this really is an excellent overview of CO'ing. :flower:

I have waist length, 1A hair. CO'ing works quite well for me most of the time. I do alternate between CO and other cleansing methods, primarily CWC, because my scalp seems to do better with a little shampoo. The length surely doesn't need it.

hemolymph
June 21st, 2010, 11:42 AM
I did my first co wash yesterday. My hair felt super soft, but my natural wave was non existant when it dried, it looked kind of limp.

Should I of washed with a clarifying shampoo before my CO washing journey, to get out the old silicone's?

I am going to co wash again this morning but wondering if I should clarify instead to give my hair a fresh start.

Thoughts?

GRU
June 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Should I of washed with a clarifying shampoo before my CO washing journey, to get out the old silicone's?

Yep - do one last SLS wash to "start fresh" and then go forward from there.

SapphiraSilver
June 21st, 2010, 09:13 PM
This thread probably gives cone free conditioners: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46&highlight=Australia+conditioner

Are you an Inheritance Trilogy/Series fan?

Thank you very much, i'll take a look at that thread.

And no, I am not a fan of the Inheritance Trilogy, I don't think I even know what that is lol. Why did you ask?

XSerendipityX
June 22nd, 2010, 03:12 AM
Fantastic thread! I have just started CO, and its good so far :) I'm trying to read the whole thread, Nyia, you pretty much summed it up?

merseaone
June 22nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
I see *Aiofe*. I thought it might be pretty straight-forward. Something like: wet your hair, applu conditioner, leave it on for x minutes, rinse it. I was wrong :( Shame!
Thank you! :)

Don't be ashamed, everyone has different hair. I have long baby fine hair. I wet my hair, apply Conditioner to the top of my hair which is short because I curl it, then I apply a lot to the length combing it through with my fingers. after doing the rest of my routine I rinse it almost thoroughly (I was once told not to be afraid to leave some in the hair). Once rinsing is complete, wrap in a towel, spray that Shower clean so I don't have to scrub later, dry off, then back to the hair. I add clear Aloe vera to my hair (it actls like a conditioning gel, helps it feel thicker, then add a stiff hair gel to the top of my hair because I blow dry it and curl it,then "cement it in place" - remember baby fine hair, and the rest dries naturally. Maybe once a week I will wash my hair to get rid of the build up. I have been using Verseo Shampoo that helps hair grow fast (get it on line). Because I poof my hair and cement it, I can go two to three days without 'washing' otherwise if I just blow dry the bangs I have to wash every day! Well that is my regime. Hope that helps!

I did my first co wash yesterday. My hair felt super soft, but my natural wave was non existant when it dried, it looked kind of limp.

I am going to co wash again this morning but wondering if I should clarify instead to give my hair a fresh start.

Thoughts?

Try using Aloe Vera 100% Gel on your hair to give it some thickness and moisturizes it to boot. Works for me and I have baby fine hair! Sometimes though it may take a few times for your hair to get use to not being stripped every time you wash.

XSerendipityX
June 23rd, 2010, 03:11 AM
Hello, everyone! Newbie here :o
Just started CO washing... a bit itchy, but all good :)
I even get the hair 'squeaky' clean, which is amazing. I did have to wash on the second rather than the third day... which is to be expected. Thanks for all the great tips on this thread!:bowtome::heart::thumbsup:

Svenja
June 23rd, 2010, 03:43 AM
Nyia, thanks so much for your text!!
So I have tried CO washing twice now and I really like it! I use a cheap, light, cine-free conditioner and rinse the hair with ACV after the wash. My hair feels really smooth and is still bouncy. I was afraid I would lose my waves, but I haven't. And my hair is clean! My scalp does not itch anymore, my hair does not (yet) look limp. I am very positively surprised.

GRU
June 23rd, 2010, 06:42 AM
I was afraid I would lose my waves, but I haven't.

Don't be surprised if your waves get curlier, rather than looser. Curly and wurly hair are particularly well-suited to CO-washing. :cheer:

Svenja
June 23rd, 2010, 06:51 AM
That's be nice! I'd like to have more defined curls!

GRU
June 23rd, 2010, 07:01 AM
That's be nice! I'd like to have more defined curls!

Do you scrunch and/or plop?