PDA

View Full Version : The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

coffinhert
September 14th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I have been COing for several months now, and recently wondered if maybe I had some cones buildup, so I shampooed.. The next several days my hair became soooo greasy. CO is definitely the way to go for my hair.

mallorykay13
September 14th, 2011, 05:03 PM
As for the lather, I got mine with some really runny suave stuff. If my hair is dry I will CO with a thicker condish and that will not lather.

GRU
September 14th, 2011, 07:53 PM
BTW... question for curly's do BBB'S make curly/wavy hair more frizz or is it best to just leave it? X

BBBs are fine if you're distributing oils or smoothing hair for an updo, but you don't want to do ANYthing to hair that you want to wear curly. I use a Tangle Teezer when I'm prepping my hair for an updo or for distributing oil. I've used a BBB for oil distribution before too, but the Tangle Teezer does the detangling and distribution at the same time, so I haven't touched my BBB in months.

Tealpuffin
September 15th, 2011, 12:17 AM
BBBs are fine if you're distributing oils or smoothing hair for an updo, but you don't want to do ANYthing to hair that you want to wear curly. I use a Tangle Teezer when I'm prepping my hair for an updo or for distributing oil. I've used a BBB for oil distribution before too, but the Tangle Teezer does the detangling and distribution at the same time, so I haven't touched my BBB in months.

Ok thank you! I will just leave it and finger comb it :) x

GRU
September 15th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Ok thank you! I will just leave it and finger comb it :) x

And if you get a chance, read through (or just scroll through to look at the pictures) the thread that Sunshineliz posted a few posts back... that's what happens when curlies brush, and it is SCARY STUFF! :blueeek:

mallorykay13
September 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM
So when I first started CO-ing i already had one bottle of Suave Naturals. Today was my first time going out and looking for a CO condish. Did NOT realize they were so cheap. <3 CO!

GRU
September 15th, 2011, 08:47 PM
So when I first started CO-ing i already had one bottle of Suave Naturals. Today was my first time going out and looking for a CO condish. Did NOT realize they were so cheap. <3 CO!

Now try diluting it..... cheap can become AMAZINGLY CHEAP! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

mallorykay13
September 15th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Now try diluting it..... cheap can become AMAZINGLY CHEAP! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

:agape: :crush: I love you people.

mallorykay13
September 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
How far do you dilute yours? 1:1 condish and water?

GRU
September 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM
How far do you dilute yours? 1:1 condish and water?

Everyone has their personal preferences, but what I do with my Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut is put one part conditioner and anywhere from 2-5 parts water into a color applicator bottle (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Color-Applicator-Bottle/SBS-265100,default,pd.html), shake well, then apply it to the scalp first (since that's where all the gook is that needs to be washed off) and then work it down the length.

I just keep the applicator bottle and the conditioner bottle in my shower, and each day I squirt in conditioner, add shower water (however much I feel like -- that's why it's anywhere from 2-5 parts, I'm not really scientific about it at all!), and apply. The thinner conditioner is easier to spread, and the nozzle on the bottle makes it easier to apply it directly to my scalp. If I need more "slip" on my ends/length in order to detangle, I just add some more conditioner from the Suave bottle.

(Another reason for the inaccuracy of the "recipe" is because as soon as I get about 1/4 to 1/3 of the conditioner out of my Suave bottle, I add some water to that -- makes it thinner so I don't have to wait so long for it to squirt out... in other words, I slightly dilute it in the original bottle, then further dilute it in the applicator bottle.)

GRU
September 15th, 2011, 09:47 PM
And watch the sales flyers.... Walgreens, Target, etc., will occasionally put it on sale for 69/79/89 cents per bottle.

Did I mention AMAZINGLY CHEAP? :lol:

mallorykay13
September 15th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I love this method so much! My hair has never looked better, been as shiny or as soft. And hey, supa cheap.

GRU
September 15th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I love this method so much! My hair has never looked better, been as shiny or as soft. And hey, supa cheap.

Oh, but didn't you know? The only way to have healthy, soft, shiny hair is to strip it with fancy salon sulfate shampoos, condition it with fancy salon conditioners, blow dry it on high heat with a bunch of serums and what-not, then straighten it with a flat-iron (don't forget the fancy "heat protectant" that's going to keep the BURNING HOT IRON from damaging your hair, too -- why don't firefighters just bathe in that heat protectant, if it does such a great job, I wonder?) and cover it with hairspray. And don't forget the every-six-weeks haircut at that same fancy salon. :rolleyes:

The beauty industry would implode if the general population figured out just how cheaply they could have beautiful, silky, healthy hair! :lol:

mallorykay13
September 16th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Oh, but didn't you know? The only way to have healthy, soft, shiny hair is to strip it with fancy salon sulfate shampoos, condition it with fancy salon conditioners, blow dry it on high heat with a bunch of serums and what-not, then straighten it with a flat-iron (don't forget the fancy "heat protectant" that's going to keep the BURNING HOT IRON from damaging your hair, too -- why don't firefighters just bathe in that heat protectant, if it does such a great job, I wonder?) and cover it with hairspray. And don't forget the every-six-weeks haircut at that same fancy salon. :rolleyes:

The beauty industry would implode if the general population figured out just how cheaply they could have beautiful, silky, healthy hair! :lol:

Totally agree. This is my most favorite quote ever.

gazelle
September 16th, 2011, 05:04 AM

I agree with you. If you share such a thing at the hairdressers, most of them will tell lots of negative things about CO, like they do about henna. ( They look me like I am an alien out of this world when they learn that I henna my hair. Henna makes the hair bad and dry, but the chemical dyes at the hairdressers don't:D, in their opinion)

Roscata
September 16th, 2011, 07:21 AM

I agree with you. If you share such a thing at the hairdressers, most of them will tell lots of negative things about CO, like they do about henna. ( They look me like I am an alien out of this world when they learn that I henna my hair. Henna makes the hair bad and dry, but the chemical dyes at the hairdressers don't:D, in their opinion)

Great way to put it, GRU & Gazelle!

I have to say that CO has made my hair the silkiest, most frizz-free and tangle-free it has ever been and henna is the only way I've ever colored my hair red that stuck more than 2 weeks, made my hair shinny and didn't burn it to oblivion. I really do wish more people knew about these things. I wish great hair on everybody! :D

Melodere
September 16th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I get a bit of lather sometimes, but not often. I had been using my CO full strength, but I think I might try diluting. Just slightly though, because I had trouble when I wasn't using enough of it and my hair wasn't getting clean. Worth a try! I actually use a sports bottle, I got it at Walmart in the summer stuff, one is green, one is read.

The only time I've gone in for a hair cut since ditching S&C, the stylist was older and was SO open to the concept. Said she used to do something similar years and years ago. I'm guessing she only uses all those products now because the salon pushes them. She's not my usual stylist, but then again, I'm hard core growing it out now, so I won't be in for a trim for a while... a long while.

MandyBeth
September 16th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Have to wrestle the 6 y/o down and clarify her hair. The ends are getting really grabby and mecky. That's an offical word by the way. The curls aren't fuzzing out, so I don't think they need to be cut yet.

Think we may try just clarifying the ends and nape where it's the worst, and keeping the shampoo away from her face as much as possible.

Wish us luck tonight.

GRU
September 16th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Have to wrestle the 6 y/o down and clarify her hair. The ends are getting really grabby and mecky. That's an offical word by the way. The curls aren't fuzzing out, so I don't think they need to be cut yet.

Think we may try just clarifying the ends and nape where it's the worst, and keeping the shampoo away from her face as much as possible.

Wish us luck tonight.

MB, could you maybe do a baking soda wash with a strong ACV-type rinse and follow up with her normal CO? The baking soda will strip her hair, but there will be NO suds to freak her out.

Another option is to put a bit of shampoo in her conditioner -- if you "fingercomb" it instead of agitating it like you would normally wash, you probably won't get many suds and she won't be any the wiser that "soap" was used on her head.

MandyBeth
September 16th, 2011, 09:40 AM
MB, could you maybe do a baking soda wash with a strong ACV-type rinse and follow up with her normal CO? The baking soda will strip her hair, but there will be NO suds to freak her out.

Another option is to put a bit of shampoo in her conditioner -- if you "fingercomb" it instead of agitating it like you would normally wash, you probably won't get many suds and she won't be any the wiser that "soap" was used on her head.
Tried the baking soda wash last night, we might have made it too dilute, but it really was pretty drying, and it didn't help the grabby factor. Tried doing an SMT overnight, and it fixed the dry part, but the ends and nape are just not right. I know it's from the cones that she needs to not get the matting restarted.

Left a message for Kasey to see if he has any ideas.

I'm hoping if we work the conditioner in over her head first, then go with dilute shampoo at her nape and the bottom third or so of her hair, she'll do ok. Or we may have a melt-down.

GRU
September 16th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I'm hoping if we work the conditioner in over her head first, then go with dilute shampoo at her nape and the bottom third or so of her hair, she'll do ok. Or we may have a melt-down.

If you can get an unscented shampoo (or shampoo the same scent as the conditioner) and put it in a conditioner bottle, she may never know the difference..... it may be sneaky, but if it keeps her from being traumatized, who the hell cares?

swetiepeti
September 16th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Agree with Gru. What does she not like about shampoo? Tears, then how about adding a bit of "no more tears", the bubbles? Add a low foaming shampoo and finger comb it through.

MandyBeth
September 16th, 2011, 10:09 AM
If you can get an unscented shampoo (or shampoo the same scent as the conditioner) and put it in a conditioner bottle, she may never know the difference..... it may be sneaky, but if it keeps her from being traumatized, who the hell cares?

Agree with Gru. What does she not like about shampoo? Tears, then how about adding a bit of "no more tears", the bubbles? Add a low foaming shampoo and finger comb it through.
I've got the V05 kiwi stuff. She likes the smell. Going to use that (mostly) worthless CO on her scalp, then the shampoo on her problem areas. Then claim that CO worked, but she needs the SMT again. Which she likes, she gets to run around with a crown hat on. The V05 doesn't work well for me, but I don't think the protein in it will bother her hair that does fine with it.

I lie. Blatantly.

She doesn't like soap on her head because her prior foster home would scrub her scalp with dish soap, get it in her eyes, then yank a brush over the top of her very curly hair, which then left the nape area VERY matted. We have hair washing issues to say the least.

GRU
September 16th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I lie. Blatantly.

Welcome to motherhood! :lol:

MandyBeth
September 16th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Sad part, I only feel SLIGHLY guilty about blatantly lying. But if it stops a massive meltdown, I'm all for it.

GRU
September 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Sad part, I only feel SLIGHLY guilty about blatantly lying. But if it stops a massive meltdown, I'm all for it.

Sometimes a mom has to do what a mom has to do.

I've told DS since preschool that in order to play Division I college hockey, he'll need straight A grades in high school, in as many AP classes as possible (not stuff like basket weaving and choir).

I've not once wavered from that statement. And by the time he's old enough that he can look that stuff up for himself, he'll already have a 4.0 going in high school, so he might as well finish his last semester that way too! :lol:

MandyBeth
September 16th, 2011, 10:58 AM

I've told DS since preschool that in order to play Division I college hockey, he'll need straight A grades in high school, in as many AP classes as possible (not stuff like basket weaving and choir).

I've not once wavered from that statement. And by the time he's old enough that he can look that stuff up for himself, he'll already have a 4.0 going in high school, so he might as well finish his last semester that way too! :lol:

You mean that's not true???? How else does he plan to afford to go to a Division I school in the first place????

GRU
September 16th, 2011, 11:09 AM
You mean that's not true???? How else does he plan to afford to go to a Division I school in the first place????

EXACTLY MY POINT! :D

I figure that even if his hockey skillz aren't good enough to get him on the team, the team has to keep its team-average GPA up, so they'll take a less-talented kid with a 4.0 to offset the superstar kid who thinks a C- is a "high grade"! :lol:

swetiepeti
September 16th, 2011, 11:23 AM
ah, may I add to my earlier suggestion and suggest a foster mommy, foster daughter princess beauty day in the future? Sometiems a bit of control such as picking out (with directed supervision) the shampoo, the comb, some pretty bows can make a world of difference.

MandyBeth
September 16th, 2011, 11:43 AM
We do regular princess days in my family. Pedicures are WONDEFUL.....

She's better than when we started. She will let me wash her hair in the tub now at least. But conditioner only. Soap is still a freak out issue if it's near her face.

MandyBeth
September 16th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Ha. The other trick. Bribed her flat out. Got a bunch of items in the mail I had ordered for her off the Swap Board. Well, princess who are brave for shampoo get the pretty princess toys. Grandma and CK held her hands and we got done in 20 mintues. Phew

GRU
September 16th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Ha. The other trick. Bribed her flat out. Got a bunch of items in the mail I had ordered for her off the Swap Board. Well, princess who are brave for shampoo get the pretty princess toys. Grandma and CK held her hands and we got done in 20 mintues. Phew

YAY!!!!

Tell her that the curly lady in Michigan is VERY impressed and proud of her for being so brave and cooperative! (and please also tell CK that I think he's awesome for caring enough to help comfort J in her moment of need.... he really is a Cool Kid!)

Cainwen
September 17th, 2011, 09:07 AM

Yay! Your little girl is lucky to have you :)

Sorry, I lurk here a lot but don't say much, so forgive me for butting in. Just thought of this this morning though, and thought it might come in handy for you in the future. If you add a little salt (just plain table salt) or baking soda to shampoo (or any soap) it will prevent it from suds-ing. So if bubbles from shampoo are a problem, that might help.

FrozenBritannia
September 17th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I am going to start trying this! I think I will start with every other wash for now (I usually only wash every other day, so that would be shampoo every four days) and I picked up some Whenever Conditioner by Kiss My Face in Green Tea and Lime which is supposed to be completely natural and cone,etc,etc, free.
Do I really need a different conditioner after I rinse this one out? Or can I just use a leave in?

GRU
September 17th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Do I really need a different conditioner after I rinse this one out? Or can I just use a leave in?

It just depends on what your hair likes -- everyone is different. I typically CO-wash, detangle, rinse, then leave-in all using the same conditioner: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut. Other people like a light conditioner to wash with then a heavier conditioner to condition with.

Every head is unique, and you just have to experiment a little to find what your hair wants. Sometimes people have to try several conditioners until they find one that works for them.

raishalini11
September 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hi all,

Its been a pleasure to go through this thread and know the benefits of CO. I have a question though.. I have tried herb washing (amla+reetha+shikakai) and after that conditioner as usual and also tried just CO.

With herb wash my hair feel very clean and smooth but lacks the shine that CO gives.. So the question is ..Will I get the benefit of both if I wash first with herbs and then Condition including scalp to get that shine?

Though I apply conditioner normally for 2-3 mins after herbal wash (excluding scalp) still dont get the shine which comes from CO..any idea why? Also will applying conditioner on scalp aggravate scalp problems.. I have dermatitis,, kind of mixed seborrhis and follicular.

Any help is appreciated and thanks a ton in advance:flowers:

FrozenBritannia
September 17th, 2011, 12:21 PM
It just depends on what your hair likes -- everyone is different. I typically CO-wash, detangle, rinse, then leave-in all using the same conditioner: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut. Other people like a light conditioner to wash with then a heavier conditioner to condition with.

Every head is unique, and you just have to experiment a little to find what your hair wants. Sometimes people have to try several conditioners until they find one that works for them.

:D thanks!

GRU
September 17th, 2011, 05:04 PM
With herb wash my hair feel very clean and smooth but lacks the shine that CO gives.. So the question is ..Will I get the benefit of both if I wash first with herbs and then Condition including scalp to get that shine?

While I don't have any experience with herb-washing, my guess would be the lack of shine is because the herbs are either stripping too much moisture, or they are raising the cuticle of your hair (ruffled cuticles don't reflect light).

Do you feel that CO-washing doesn't clean your hair? You certainly could do both, if that gives you the shine you're looking for, but it seems like a waste of time and money to wash with herbs and then follow up with conditioner, if the conditioner alone can clean your hair and scalp.

MandyBeth
September 17th, 2011, 05:25 PM
J is very happy with her reward. Plus, her hair is nice and easy to comb out, so it was ok. She's getting better, plus in a few years, the major damage will grow out, and no shampoo will be needed.

GRU
September 17th, 2011, 09:17 PM
J is very happy with her reward. Plus, her hair is nice and easy to comb out, so it was ok. She's getting better, plus in a few years, the major damage will grow out, and no shampoo will be needed.

:thumbsup: Gotta love bribery! :D

JellyBene
September 17th, 2011, 09:38 PM
For the most part I am incredibly happy with my Indian herbs for washing my hair but for today I randomly decided to try CO, just for fun and...... turned out great! The Indian herbs may have some competition! I had the best hair day I have had in a very long time :) I just may keep this up, we will see.

Oh and what are your favorite conditioners to use??? I tried it with Suave Coconut but do others work better? It worked fine but I would love to hear what everyone else uses!

raishalini11
September 17th, 2011, 09:53 PM
While I don't have any experience with herb-washing, my guess would be the lack of shine is because the herbs are either stripping too much moisture, or they are raising the cuticle of your hair (ruffled cuticles don't reflect light).

Do you feel that CO-washing doesn't clean your hair? You certainly could do both, if that gives you the shine you're looking for, but it seems like a waste of time and money to wash with herbs and then follow up with conditioner, if the conditioner alone can clean your hair and scalp.

Hi GRU, with just CO my hair goes limp and flat and herb washing gives me volume. Even after herb washing I apply conditioned as one usually does after normal shampoo but in less quantity.

Thats why wanted to know whether it will be beneficial if I apply conditioner as one does in CO after herb wash?

GRU
September 17th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Hi GRU, with just CO my hair goes limp and flat and herb washing gives me volume. Even after herb washing I apply conditioned as one usually does after normal shampoo but in less quantity.

Thats why wanted to know whether it will be beneficial if I apply conditioner as one does in CO after herb wash?

Okay, I'm confused... Do you mean wash with herbs, rinse that out, then apply conditioner and wait a few minutes and rinse that out? Or do you mean wash with herbs, rinse that out, then apply conditioner and leave that in your hair?

But regardless of which method you're talking about, whether it will be beneficial or not is only something your hair can tell you. Do it one way for a week and another way for another week and compare the two. If your hair likes something, go ahead and do it! :)

raishalini11
September 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Okay, I'm confused... Do you mean wash with herbs, rinse that out, then apply conditioner and wait a few minutes and rinse that out? Or do you mean wash with herbs, rinse that out, then apply conditioner and leave that in your hair?

But regardless of which method you're talking about, whether it will be beneficial or not is only something your hair can tell you. Do it one way for a week and another way for another week and compare the two. If your hair likes something, go ahead and do it! :)

Thanks GRU :D

i meant washing with herbs first then apply conditioner and wait for couple of minutes before rinsing out. Yes I will give it a shot to see whether my scalp likes it or not and thats the biggest issue ..i can live with less shine but dont want horrible breakouts and itching :mad:

GRU
September 17th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks GRU :D

i meant washing with herbs first then apply conditioner and wait for couple of minutes before rinsing out. Yes I will give it a shot to see whether my scalp likes it or not and thats the biggest issue ..i can live with less shine but dont want horrible breakouts and itching :mad:

If your scalp doesn't like conditioner, you can also just apply it to your length, without working it all the way to your roots... lots of LHCers do it this way.

raishalini11
September 17th, 2011, 10:19 PM
If your scalp doesn't like conditioner, you can also just apply it to your length, without working it all the way to your roots... lots of LHCers do it this way.

Thanks GRU, I'll do that :)

GRU
September 17th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks GRU, I'll do that :)

You're very welcome! I hope you find a regimen that your hair likes!

FrozenBritannia
September 18th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I just did my first CO and now I am waiting for it to dry :). My hair felt lovely when I got out of the shower, and there was no tangles, but at halfway dry it seems like it is sticking out more than usual O.O (and I did get all the product out) is that normal? (my introductory post in the new section has all the details of my hair)

Oksana
September 18th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I am celebrating 4 months with no shampoo and only conditioner washing - still loving it:D

Roscata
September 18th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I just did my first CO and now I am waiting for it to dry :). My hair felt lovely when I got out of the shower, and there was no tangles, but at halfway dry it seems like it is sticking out more than usual O.O (and I did get all the product out) is that normal? (my introductory post in the new section has all the details of my hair)

CO brings out my waves better than any other washing method I've used, so maybe? If that bothers you, I'd recommend wrapping (http://jenshairjourney.tumblr.com/post/9491948546/the-doobie-since-this-video-ive-perfected-my) your hair. I've used this method and it makes my 2a hair straight. :D

FrozenBritannia
September 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
CO brings out my waves better than any other washing method I've used, so maybe? If that bothers you, I'd recommend wrapping (http://jenshairjourney.tumblr.com/post/9491948546/the-doobie-since-this-video-ive-perfected-my) your hair. I've used this method and it makes my 2a hair straight. :D

It's dry now and it's not really wavy... hard to describe I guess, just kind of sticking out a bit around the ears and the ends. Overall it does look better than it has for the last 10 months though, so that's impressive. My alphalpha strands are still sticking up in the back but there is no cure for cowlicks:rolleyes:.
Thanks for the link I'll check it out!

FrozenBritannia
September 18th, 2011, 10:57 AM

It's dry now and it's not really wavy... hard to describe I guess, just kind of sticking out a bit around the ears and the ends. Overall it does look better than it has for the last 10 months though, so that's impressive. My alphalpha strands are still sticking up in the back but there is no cure for cowlicks:rolleyes:.
Thanks for the link, unfortunately my hair collectively is no where near long enough... Still, awesome to know for when it is and I have to go to bed with bed hair!!! :D

FrozenBritannia
September 18th, 2011, 10:59 AM
*sigh* sorry, didn't mean to post that twice.. the bottom one is the correct one!

Shesta
September 18th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I just did my first CO and my hair seems to love it :D

MandyBeth
September 18th, 2011, 07:11 PM
J's hair is fine post shampoo, little dry, she ran around with a SMT today, and her hair is drying now. Feels good, looks normal.

longhairedlady
September 20th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Just switched to CO last night and my hair is looking really nice!! I am gonna be trying this for a little while and see what happens. My regime used to be:
1. Heavy EVOO DT the night before CWC
2. Once a week CWC
3. Water only during the week and light oil with damp bunning.

My new regime:
1. Heavy EVOO DT the night before CO
2. Once a week CO, maybe more if it needs it ( I will have to see how my hair behaves)
3. Water only during the week and light oil with damp bunning.

I have taken before pics and will continue to take progress pics to see if their is improvement! :D Any suggestions are welcome! I also just had a filtered shower head installed! :D

Clem_Dela
September 20th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I am slowly weaning myself off of shampoo... partly to avoid the "transition period" people talk about, and partly to use up my shampoo :D

Not sure if anyone else has used this method, but i'd love to hear what you think:

For shampooing I have a mixture of about 2 tbsps each of VO5 clarifying 'poo, Dr Bronners liquid soap, and water. this goes in a mason jar with some lavender oil. I shake it up until the jar is filled with foam. This is what I shampoo with- only on my scalp.

(I condition the length first, then 'poo with that foam, then CO wash. Then I rinse, condition, ACV rinse, and cool water rinse.)

phew! elaborate, I know...

Siiri
September 21st, 2011, 12:05 AM
I am slowly weaning myself off of shampoo... partly to avoid the "transition period" people talk about, and partly to use up my shampoo :D

Not sure if anyone else has used this method, but i'd love to hear what you think:

For shampooing I have a mixture of about 2 tbsps each of VO5 clarifying 'poo, Dr Bronners liquid soap, and water. this goes in a mason jar with some lavender oil. I shake it up until the jar is filled with foam. This is what I shampoo with- only on my scalp.

(I condition the length first, then 'poo with that foam, then CO wash. Then I rinse, condition, ACV rinse, and cool water rinse.)

phew! elaborate, I know...

Why do you wash with both diluted shampoo and conditioner? Doesn't it get clean with just the shampoo? You could also use the diluted shampoo with every other wash and CO-wash in between, and then gradually CO-wash more often and shampoo less, it could help you avoid the transition period (I never had it).

Linika
September 21st, 2011, 02:14 AM

I never had a transition period either :D (well, I had a couple of failed tries in the beginign before I got the hang of things) I'm saving my shampoo for my BBB :P If I didn't have that I'd probably save the poo for times of dire need (like... clarifying if I have to do that, or if my condish would all of a sudden run out :P)

Also, is it not very time consuming to do a complete CO wash after having shampooed already?

annieangel149
September 21st, 2011, 02:34 AM
i tried CO washing a while back with no cones! my hair didn't like it so i went back to CWC (but stayed with the no cones products) . That also did not work for my hair! I realised that my hair just didn't like no cones so for 4 weeks now i have gone back to CO washing but this time with my charles worthington dimethicone conditioner and my hair loves it! I have finally found a routine that is working well so far;

In the week i CO wash every other day with my cone conditioner and at the weekend i do a shampoo and conditioner wash! Every fortnight i clarify and do a SMT! YAY!!! my hair is happy! :D

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 08:56 AM
Why do you wash with both diluted shampoo and conditioner? Doesn't it get clean with just the shampoo? You could also use the diluted shampoo with every other wash and CO-wash in between, and then gradually CO-wash more often and shampoo less, it could help you avoid the transition period (I never had it).
That is the experiment I am conducting right now :D Seems to be working great so far, doing my second CO wash tonight!

melmmo
September 21st, 2011, 11:03 AM
[~~removed~~]

swetiepeti
September 21st, 2011, 11:09 AM
the VO5 Kiwi Lime did not take out enough oil for me unless it was on my hair and scalp for a long long time. I have an oily scalp and Sauve Coconut seemed to degrease my scalp better

Cassie 123
September 21st, 2011, 11:10 AM

I'm going to agree with the previous posters: I never had any transition period whatsoever with CO; I think this happens more with WO. And you're still going to need clarifying shampoo periodically anyway (somewhere on the order of monthly), so you may as well save it, use the Dr. Bronner's on your hands and body, and jump right into CO! :D

ETA: "on the order of" meaning like up to but not inclusive of once every ten months.. my phrasing was just too dorky for words. :oops: and my estimation apparently isn't right for everybody!

Cassie 123
September 21st, 2011, 11:17 AM
Hi! My name is Melissa and I'm new. I've been lurking and reading for a few weeks. I started CO on Saturday and I have to wash every day because I just get too greasy. I'm using VO5 kiwi lime conditioner on my scalp and my regular conditioner on the length. My face has started to break out, I'm assuming because of the extra grease in my hair? Has anyone else experienced this, and does it go away? I had finally gotten my skin under control and haven't had a breakout in months, so I'm not very happy.

Welcome to LHC! :waving:

Regarding the breakouts - have you started anything else new, like oiling or biotin supplements, that could cause acne?

Also, you might not need as heavy of a conditioner on the length as you used to because you're not repeatedly drying it out with shampoo.

NotInPortland
September 21st, 2011, 11:48 AM
Hi! My name is Melissa and I'm new. I've been lurking and reading for a few weeks. I started CO on Saturday and I have to wash every day because I just get too greasy. I'm using VO5 kiwi lime conditioner on my scalp and my regular conditioner on the length. My face has started to break out, I'm assuming because of the extra grease in my hair? Has anyone else experienced this, and does it go away? I had finally gotten my skin under control and haven't had a breakout in months, so I'm not very happy.

Hi Melissa, I'm no expert on CO washing but I have done it for a few months and have just started up again recently. Maybe you could try another conditioner and see if it's working better for you because different people react differently to different conditioners-I tried a VO5 conditioner myself and it wasn't getting all the oiliness off of my scalp leaving my hair limp and oily looking but other people have used it and loved it. I'm now currently using a tresemme naturals conditioner that is silicone free on both scalp and length and so far it's working great for me but I know other people here haven't had success with it, so it just goes to show it really is different for everyone.

Theobroma
September 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM
I'm going to agree with the previous posters: I never had any transition period whatsoever with CO; I think this happens more with WO. And you're still going to need clarifying shampoo periodically anyway (somewhere on the order of monthly), [...]

She is? I've been CO for fourteen months and have never had any need to touch shampoo, or any other means of clarifying. If you don't put anything in your hair that isn't water-soluble (cones and mineral oils come to mind), you won't have to use anything but conditioner to get it clean.

Cassie 123
September 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM
She is? I've been CO for fourteen months and have never had any need to touch shampoo, or any other means of clarifying. If you don't put anything in your hair that isn't water-soluble (cones and mineral oils come to mind), you won't have to use anything but conditioner to get it clean.

Wow! Can I ask what conditioner you use?

moon2dove
September 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hi everyone :)

I am quite new at Co-washing and need some info guidance.
Do you think these would be good to use?

Alberto Balsam Coconut and Lychee Shampoo to clarify -
Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Chloride, Panthenol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Litchi Chinensis Fruit Extract, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Glycol Distearate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Polyquaternium-7, Laureth-10 Polyquaternium-39, Citric Acid, Hexylene Glycol, Mehtylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Triethanolamine, Parfum (Fragrance), Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional.

Alberto Balsam Coconut and Lychee Coditioner as a Co-wash -
Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Cetyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Litchi Chinensis Fruit Extract, Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearalkonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cetrmonium Chloride, Glyceryl Stearate, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Alcohol Denat., Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Parfum (Fragrance), Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional.

Thank you :)

RitaPG
September 21st, 2011, 12:33 PM
I believe it may be a water thing, some people need to clarify more often than others. I'm pretty sure I read someone saying they haven't used shampoo in years.

Conditioner needs to be throughly rinsed off the scalp, residue may do that. You also may be having a reaction to an ingredient, try a different conditioner and see how it goes.

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 12:34 PM
moon2dove, the shampoo sounds ok, but the conditioner has alcohol in the top five, which personally I avoid, but that's just me.

There is only one way to find out!

melmmo
September 21st, 2011, 12:37 PM
Why does the website log me off so fast? By the time I'm done typing my message it has logged me out.

the VO5 Kiwi Lime did not take out enough oil for me unless it was on my hair and scalp for a long long time. I have an oily scalp and Sauve Coconut seemed to degrease my scalp better

I will try the Suave coconut next!

Welcome to LHC! :waving:

Regarding the breakouts - have you started anything else new, like oiling or biotin supplements, that could cause acne?

Also, you might not need as heavy of a conditioner on the length as you used to because you're not repeatedly drying it out with shampoo.

Thank you for the welcome! I have not started anything else new. My length is quite dry and rough so that is why I'm using my regular conditioner on it.

Hi Melissa, I'm no expert on CO washing but I have done it for a few months and have just started up again recently. Maybe you could try another conditioner and see if it's working better for you because different people react differently to different conditioners-I tried a VO5 conditioner myself and it wasn't getting all the oiliness off of my scalp leaving my hair limp and oily looking but other people have used it and loved it. I'm now currently using a tresemme naturals conditioner that is silicone free on both scalp and length and so far it's working great for me but I know other people here haven't had success with it, so it just goes to show it really is different for everyone.

My hair is quite limp and flat with the VO5 too, which is funny because it says it's a "clarifying" conditioner, and greasy by the 2nd day. I'll add Tresemme naturals to the list to try after Suave.

moon2dove
September 21st, 2011, 12:42 PM
moon2dove, the shampoo sounds ok, but the conditioner has alcohol in the top five, which personally I avoid, but that's just me.

Ahh! So I should also look out for the alcohol content as well?
Thank you :D

GRU
September 21st, 2011, 12:50 PM

I've done it once a year when I thought my ends might have build-up (tangly), but I just needed to trim them -- they were the same after shampoo.

I use Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut.

Very common misconception. Cetyl alcohol is a fatty alcohol, not a drying one. Nothing to fear from using products with cetyl alcohol.

However, that conditioner has TWO 'cones in it: Cyclopentasiloxane and Cyclohexasiloxane, which makes it undesirable for CO-washing.

RitaPG
September 21st, 2011, 12:53 PM

Not all alchohols are drying. Cetyl Alcohol is known as a "fatty alchohol", derived from palm oil or coconut oil, and it works as an emollient or thickening agent in beauty products.

Hi everyone :)

I am quite new at Co-washing and need some info guidance.
Do you think these would be good to use?

Alberto Balsam Coconut and Lychee Shampoo to clarify -
Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Chloride, Panthenol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Litchi Chinensis Fruit Extract, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Glycol Distearate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Polyquaternium-7, Laureth-10 Polyquaternium-39, Citric Acid, Hexylene Glycol, Mehtylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Triethanolamine, Parfum (Fragrance), Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional.

Alberto Balsam Coconut and Lychee Coditioner as a Co-wash -
Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Cetyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Litchi Chinensis Fruit Extract, Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearalkonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cetrmonium Chloride, Glyceryl Stearate, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Alcohol Denat., Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Parfum (Fragrance), Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional.

Thank you :)

You can read all about ingredients here http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products
Hope that helps :)

moon2dove
September 21st, 2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks to FrozenBritannia and GRU for info. :)

moon2dove
September 21st, 2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks @RitaPG I will check that link out :)

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks to FrozenBritannia and GRU for info. :)
:) You are welcome.. As to whether there are good alcohols and bad alcohols, as a chemical compound they look pretty much the same, and on my hair I find any alcohol is a bad alcohol, but much like 'cones, everyone's hair reacts differently! The only way to find out what your hair likes is to try it! (I would still try to stay away from alcohol in the top five ingredients though, because that is a lot)

Cassie 123
September 21st, 2011, 01:06 PM
I've done it once a year when I thought my ends might have build-up (tangly), but I just needed to trim them -- they were the same after shampoo.
I use Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut.

I had been led to believe that the primary ingredient of this (and most light conditioners), cetearyl alcohol, was a waxy ingredient that would eventually build up... but apparently not! Cool.. I wonder how long I could really go without clarifying. :hmm:

mallorykay13
September 21st, 2011, 01:08 PM
What is your guy's favorite scalp condish?

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 01:10 PM
What is your guy's favorite scalp condish?
my hubby LOVES head and shoulders 2 in one for men...

GRU
September 21st, 2011, 01:11 PM
Almost any commercial conditioner is going to have at least one of the Fatty Alcohols in the top five ingredients. They are not drying, but provide emollient effect, lubricity, and emulsion stabilization.

Here are the alcohols you are likely to see -- all are moisturizing ingredients, which is why they appear in conditioner:

Behenyl alcohol
Cetearyl alcohol
Cetyl alcohol
Isocetyl alcohol
Isostearyl alcohol
Lauryl alcohol
Myristyl alcohol
Stearyl alcohol
C30-50 Alcohols
Lanolin alcohol

FWIW, I've been CO-washing exclusively (except for a once-a-year shampoo, which has been unnecessary) for two years now. If fatty alcohols were drying or built up, my hair wouldn't be happier than it's ever been in my four decades on this earth.

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 01:13 PM
Kiss my Face has a few conditioners without alcohol, as does orgnx, and Prairie Naturals. :)
ETA: http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/index.php?cPath=3_27 (some neat products if you ignore the beverages! LMAO)

mallorykay13
September 21st, 2011, 01:13 PM
Almost any commercial conditioner is going to have at least one of the Fatty Alcohols in the top five ingredients. They are not drying, but provide emollient effect, lubricity, and emulsion stabilization.

Here are the alcohols you are likely to see -- all are moisturizing ingredients, which is why they appear in conditioner:

Behenyl alcohol
Cetearyl alcohol
Cetyl alcohol
Isocetyl alcohol
Isostearyl alcohol
Lauryl alcohol
Myristyl alcohol
Stearyl alcohol
C30-50 Alcohols
Lanolin alcohol

/snip/

This is so helpful for me! I have been wondering about all that alcohol in my conditioners!

GRU
September 21st, 2011, 01:15 PM
This is so helpful for me! I have been wondering about all that alcohol in my conditioners!

It does get confusing, when you hear all the "alcohol is teh devil" cries.... but those are usually used in reference to styling products, like gel or hairspray or whatever -- the alcohol is used to make the product dry/evaporate quickly. There is no point in having conditioner dry quickly! LOL

Glad to have been able to help, both mallorykay13 and moon2dove!

NotInPortland
September 21st, 2011, 01:16 PM
Why does the website log me off so fast? By the time I'm done typing my message it has logged me out.

When you are logging in tick the 'remember me' box to stay logged in for as long as you want :)

My hair is quite limp and flat with the VO5 too, which is funny because it says it's a "clarifying" conditioner, and greasy by the 2nd day. I'll add Tresemme naturals to the list to try after Suave.

Yes, some conditioners just don't work with peoples hair so best to try out a few and see what works for you. Also just be sure you're putting on enough so that the hair down to your ears is totally covered in conditioner and make sure to thoroughly rinse it out for a few minutes afterwards so as not to leave any residue behind which would also cause the limp hair problem. Oh and give your scalp a thorough massaging while the conditioner is there, very important to lift all that gunk from our scalps :p But as you say you are breaking out I would say it's just the conditioner itself that's not working as opposed to your washing technique.

Siiri
September 21st, 2011, 01:18 PM
Do you think also porosity might make your hair more or less prone to build up (besides the hardness of water)? I think I have low porosity, and I get build up easily from waxy ingredients in my conditioner, so I have to clarify monthly. We have soft water, so it's not that.

moon2dove
September 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM
:) You are welcome.. As to whether there are good alcohols and bad alcohols, as a chemical compound they look pretty much the same, and on my hair I find any alcohol is a bad alcohol, but much like 'cones, everyone's hair reacts differently! The only way to find out what your hair likes is to try it! (I would still try to stay away from alcohol in the top five ingredients though, because that is a lot)

That really helps alot:)
I bought some Aussie Frizz Miracle Conditioner today for flyaway/frizzy hair (I have curly/frizzy hair :eek: ) For my Co-wash....Took me ages to decide after looking at all the ingredients :rolleyes: ....and this seemed ok.
My hubby was not amused;);)

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 02:12 PM
My hubby was not amused;);)

LMAO... Mine never is either! "Just PICK one!":D

mallorykay13
September 21st, 2011, 02:25 PM
My mom gets upset with me. "Why were you at walmart for an hour to get ONE item?" "I had to make sure it was the best ingredients wise......"

WickedLady
September 21st, 2011, 02:46 PM
My mom gets upset with me. "Why were you at walmart for an hour to get ONE item?" "I had to make sure it was the best ingredients wise......"

I do that too! lol it takes me forever to pick one. I look at all the bottles and pick the best one for me my husband hates it lol "we gotta spend an hour on shampoos and conditioners? I'm so glad men dont have to worry about that." hehe

Linika
September 21st, 2011, 03:13 PM

I've also noticed that a lot of conditioners contain ingredients that's high on the Comedogenicity scale. It has not been brought up in response to your post, but that might have something to do with your breakout. It is very important to get all residue of conditioner off your face if your skin is sensitive in that aspect.

It could also be any of the reasons everyone else have brought up, so another condish might be helpful :)

mallorykay13
September 21st, 2011, 04:28 PM
I've also noticed that a lot of conditioners contain ingredients that's high on the Comedogenicity scale. It has not been brought up in response to your post, but that might have something to do with your breakout. It is very important to get all residue of conditioner off your face if your skin is sensitive in that aspect.

It could also be any of the reasons everyone else have brought up, so another condish might be helpful :)

I think this may be the reason for my recent break-out

JellyBene
September 21st, 2011, 04:57 PM
Unfortunately after trying this method a few times I noticed very abnormal amounts of shedding and was forced to discontinue. It's a shame because I really loved the softeness, body and shine, I just can't afford to lose that much hair :(

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 04:59 PM
Unfortunately after trying this method a few times I noticed very abnormal amounts of shedding and was forced to discontinue. It's a shame because I really loved the softeness, body and shine, I just can't afford to lose that much hair :(

I'm really hoping that doesn't happen with me. 2nd time is tonight!

mallorykay13
September 21st, 2011, 05:13 PM
Ive been doing this method for about 2 weeks now and just NOW started to start having a shedding thing goin on. Its all shed hair, not breakage... do you guys think it's just a phase of shedding or the CO?

JellyBene
September 21st, 2011, 05:28 PM
Ive been doing this method for about 2 weeks now and just NOW started to start having a shedding thing goin on. Its all shed hair, not breakage... do you guys think it's just a phase of shedding or the CO?
I might be wrong but I think it was the CO because I rarely ever shed and NEVER that much.

mallorykay13
September 21st, 2011, 05:30 PM
I might be wrong but I think it was the CO because I rarely ever shed and NEVER that much.
Hehe, I was talking about me personally. And CO doesnt work for everyone and thats totally cool. If its not working for you then I would suggest C - COW - C washing.

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 06:02 PM
Hehe, I was talking about me personally. And CO doesnt work for everyone and thats totally cool. If its not working for you then I would suggest C - COW - C washing.

what is that?

mallorykay13
September 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM
Here (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=19783) is the link.

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 07:44 PM
Here (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=19783) is the link.
thanks! I think I will do that on my every 4 day shampoo!

mallorykay13
September 21st, 2011, 07:49 PM
thanks! I think I will do that on my every 4 day shampoo!

It worked for me very very well for a really long time. :)

Linika
September 22nd, 2011, 12:19 AM
I think this may be the reason for my recent break-out

I've been breaking out more than normal too since I started CO... but I think that's more to do with starting OCM at approximately the same time. I'm hoping it's just something I have to push through, because I don't want to give any of it up :P

Lippytoes
September 22nd, 2011, 01:53 AM
...I had a dream last night in which, among other things, I was delighted to find that they had VO5 conditioner here in Finland. It looked like dishwashing liquid though. And when I went to buy it, it turned into a colourful tie, and I was really upset.

Too much time on LHC? :D

annieangel149
September 22nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
...I had a dream last night in which, among other things, I was delighted to find that they had VO5 conditioner here in Finland. It looked like dishwashing liquid though. And when I went to buy it, it turned into a colourful tie, and I was really upset.

:rollin::misskim:you really made me giggle lippytoes

Theobroma
September 22nd, 2011, 02:18 AM

Alverde Green Coffee as my cleaning conditioner (I'm in Europe; not sure whether this will be available everywhere) and Garnier Triple Nutrition as my second condish. But I think anything cone-free will do!

melmmo
September 22nd, 2011, 07:38 AM

Do you know what those ingredients are, or where to find the info?

FrozenBritannia
September 22nd, 2011, 08:48 AM

Finding V05 here in Canada is but a dream too... Or at least my part of Canada. It was here when I was young and I looooooooved it, but I haven't seen it for years (and I've been looking!) only other Alberto types.

WickedLady
September 22nd, 2011, 09:08 AM
I received Yes to Carrots and Yes to Tomatoes conditioner in the mail yesterday. I clarified this morning to get a fresh start so that I can try co'ing again. and i have to say my hair is soooooo soft and smells so delicious i'm sold. At least till the bottles are gone. I rotate mine. The next in line for me in Giovanni.

MandyBeth
September 22nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
If I personally CO wash, I notice more shedding, because I do more scalp massaging, so I think it loosens up hairs that are ready to shed in the next day or two. But I can't do more than 1 in a row without a mess of grease, so I don't know for sure how it tapers off with me. I do notice less shed hair in my TT for a day or so after CO.

With J, she had what looked like MASSIVE shedding when we started CO, and she's now down to a normal amount. However, her regrowth doesn't have a major area, it's just pretty even overall as far as I can tell.

MandyBeth
September 22nd, 2011, 11:35 AM
Pretty much. To pick on the child, J's hair - where I had used cones to get the slip that she is in dire need of and nothing else works (major damage) needed clarifying, however the rest of her hair where I try to limit/avoid the cones vs slathering them on daily was fine and didn't need the shampoo.

The "cone-ed" areas were MUCH happier post clarifying shampoo, where as the areas that got shampooed that weren't cone-ed were much fuzzier and pissy.

swetiepeti
September 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
you could always try the water soluble silicone products, those that have PEG or PPG in front of them, or ones with Amodimethicone in them. It's not water soluble but does not stick well to itself and so does not build up much as some of the others. Or if you are an adult or simply old enough to follow instructions well, you can use Dimethicone without buildup and without sulfates if you don't mind beer or vodka rinses (ACV won't dissolve Dimethicone but alcohol will)

JellyBene
September 22nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
sigh, I really loved the CO but my shedding really freked me out. Did anyone else notice increased shedding (while rinsing for me) at first? did it decrease over time? i really want this to work :(

mallorykay13
September 22nd, 2011, 10:19 PM
I noticed shedding but it was all shed, not breakage. I'm monitoring this though.

Lippytoes
September 23rd, 2011, 06:03 AM
:rollin::misskim:you really made me giggle lippytoes

Hee, mission accomplished then! :D

Sunshineliz
September 23rd, 2011, 06:57 AM
sigh, I really loved the CO but my shedding really freked me out. Did anyone else notice increased shedding (while rinsing for me) at first? did it decrease over time? i really want this to work :(

I was a little worried about the shedding I saw too but then I measured circumference. I gained, not lost circumference. So it might just seem worse than it really is. Keep an eye on ponytail circumference if you're worried.

swetiepeti
September 23rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
I gained circumference as well. I was kind of surprised but I think it's due to less breakage.

>>>I was a little worried about the shedding I saw too but then I measured circumference. I gained, not lost circumference. So it might just seem worse than it really is. Keep an eye on ponytail circumference if you're worried.

Theobroma
September 23rd, 2011, 08:39 AM

I always shed a wad when I wash. But on the one occasion in the last fourteen months when I tried a sulphate-free shampoo just to see whether it'd make a difference, I shed just as much as with CO.

And my circ is manifestly not decreasing, so even though it looks like an awful lot of hair is coming out, it must be within normal parameters. :shrug:

kitschy
September 23rd, 2011, 09:05 AM
It looks like I shed a ton because I don't brush or comb my hair unless it is wet and soaked with conditioner. The shed I see in the shower is just the shed that would have come out in a brush or comb.

I have also noticed that I do a small amount of seasonal shedding - it always stops after a few weeks. My circumference is the same size as always.

Theobroma
September 23rd, 2011, 09:20 AM
I do comb, and I still shed loads when washing...

(I don't know whether this is related to the fact that I wear my hair up all the time and my combing is limited to detangling, which doesn't take a lot of time or effort. Essentially, my shed hairs have no chance of coming out except when my hair has my full attention because I'm combing or washing it, and the daily combing doesn't take a lot of time. Perhaps that accounts for why my wash-day shed seems so big. Either that, or this is just one of life's insoluble mysteries... :) )

melmmo
September 23rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Just posting to report that I used the VO5 kiwi lime again on Thursday, but massaged it in longer, and rinsed longer (I thought I was massaging and rinsing quite a long time but I guess not long enough) and I had much better results. The three breakouts are on their way to clearing up and no new ones - I also made a concerted effort to get my face wash all the way up to my hairline, and rinse really well.

I didn't wash at all this morning :eek: because my hair looked ok when I got up but it got greasy very quickly. I'm stuck at work feeling like a greaseball.

I also trimmed about 1/2"-1" of my straw-like ends last night and I'm going to try oiling next.

sharicat
September 23rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
It looks like I'm shedding loads when I CO but it just looks like that because I don't wash it every day any more :) I CO every 4 days.

I tried a SLS shampoo after switching to CO and it made me shed more.

Roscata
September 23rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
It looks like I'm shedding loads when I CO but it just looks like that because I don't wash it every day any more :) I CO every 4 days.

I tried a SLS shampoo after switching to CO and it made me shed more.

Maybe it's a seasonal shed then. Fall is here. :D

Kelikea
September 24th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Just checking in...Thank you for all of the advice and positive comments on this thread. I have switched to VO5 vanilla mint tea, which I never would have tried before. I am really liking it and my hair is less oily at roots/dry at bottom. I'm also trying once a week castor oil treatments for growth. Overall, much less itching and flaking of the scalp, too. :)

Annibelle
September 24th, 2011, 09:12 AM
So... I COed for a month, WOed for a month, and during my WO month, I began shedding BIG TIME. I didn't see a difference in my hair thickness, but I didn't measure, either-- I was too scared! Well, I've been COing for about two months again after WO, and I'm still shedding more than I ever did before WO, though not as much as I did during WO. :/ Today, I washed with shampoo for the first time since... uh... spring. May, I think. I read somewhere on the forum that some people shed a lot if their follicles get gunked up, and that a shampoo might help, so I tried it today with Garnier 3N shampoo (I coconut oiled my scalp and hair first, though). I'll update you all on how this goes... so far, my hair is stretched almost completely straight, as shampoo always makes it, and it feels weightless, like shampoo always makes it... it's still damp and I already have fly-aways. o_o You see, the shedding is the only problem I've been having since quitting shampoo, so I hope the shedding stops now and I can get back to my CO routine-- which my hair LOVES!

JellyBene
September 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Thank you guys for reassuring me that the shedding is notmal and not a concerned, I switched out my Suave Coconut for an organic conditioner (RenPure Organics) and it worked SO much better for me. MUCH less shedding and increased shine and volume. I guess it was just Suave that mad me shed tons. I guess my hair just doesn't like it, oh well I am glad i found one that I love!

Annibelle
September 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM
You know... I've been using Suave Coconut, too. Do other Suaves make people shed? :/ Which other conditioners are good for scalp COing??? (Preferably something fairly cheap... though not necessarily as cheap as Suave.) :p

JellyBene
September 24th, 2011, 03:47 PM
You know... I've been using Suave Coconut, too. Do other Suaves make people shed? :/ Which other conditioners are good for scalp COing??? (Preferably something fairly cheap... though not necessarily as cheap as Suave.) :p
I know a lot of people are very happy with the Suave coconut, so maybe it was just me that did not like it.:)

RitaPG
September 24th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I know a lot of people are very happy with the Suave coconut, so maybe it was just me that did not like it.:)
Yep, just like every conditioner out there, some work wonders, others not so much. You just have to experiment a bit until you find the right one for your scalp/ hair.

gazelle
September 25th, 2011, 03:27 AM
I get very good results with CO washing after oil treatments. CO provides the benefits of oil remaining on hair. When I was shampooing, my hair turned worse sometimes, after oiling. Maybe I was using too much shampoo, thinking my hair would be cleaner. Now my hair is both clean and feels silky after oil treatments, thanks to CO. Just wanted to share, and thank to LHC :)

Linika
September 26th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Okay, so today when I washed as usual I noticed this really funky smell :( I have no idea of where it came from!

The diluted condish smelled just like usual when I applied it to my hair. Then, after massaging and letting it sit for 10-15 min when I was going to massage some more before rinsing, I noticed that the condish nearest to my roots had taken a really funky, unpleasant smell. I couldn't smell the original condishsmell at all then :(

If I don't notice any ill effects of this when the hair dries it's not that big of a problem, but still unpleasant if it keeps up. I really like my TRESemme Naturals and wouldn't like to go looking for another conditioner. There are a precious few around here :(

Have anyone else noticed something like this? I'm thinking it might have something to do with not applying all that much condish (applied with color aplicator and still so much that it covers all the hair and give sufficient lubrication for massaging) even though hair is quite greasy, and that the condish, mixed with all that gunk just... smells off? Any thoughts on that?

swetiepeti
September 26th, 2011, 01:34 PM
yes, I had a similar thing happen with Tresemme Naturals, but I figured perhaps I'd simply waited too long to CO Wash or gotten too sweaty. I swear I got a whiff of damp old sneaker but it smelled fine after I washed and dried it. And since I bought three huge bottles on sale I'm going to finish them unless it starts to smell when dry

Linika
September 26th, 2011, 01:49 PM
yes, I had a similar thing happen with Tresemme Naturals, but I figured perhaps I'd simply waited too long to CO Wash or gotten too sweaty. I swear I got a whiff of damp old sneaker but it smelled fine after I washed and dried it. And since I bought three huge bottles on sale I'm going to finish them unless it starts to smell when dry

I'm thinking it might have something to do with going to long between washes (4 days) so that there is too much gunk or something... but I haven't noticed it smelling before even when I've gone without washing like more than five days. It's a bit frustrating. I'm going to add more conditioner next time I think. I really didn't like that smell. It smelld foul and sickly to me :/

I don't think it's going to smell when dry, and I really hope it won't. Other than this sudden smell, my hair really loves TRESemme :)

MissAlyssa
October 7th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I started CO washing as my main washing method about a month or two ago and it's made my hair soo soft and manageable, but in the last few weeks I've started shedding a lot more than I usually do. Could this be from the co washing? should I maybe start clarifying more often, or is this more likely just a seasonal shed? Thanks for any help :)

Linika
October 9th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I started CO washing as my main washing method about a month or two ago and it's made my hair soo soft and manageable, but in the last few weeks I've started shedding a lot more than I usually do. Could this be from the co washing? should I maybe start clarifying more often, or is this more likely just a seasonal shed? Thanks for any help :)

If you don't think it's more than normal for a seasonal shed I'd waid for a while before changing washmethod. If you feel that an abnormal amount of hair falls off your head for an extended period of time, you might want to look into a new washing method.

I know some here have had the same fears, and therefore started keeping track of their ponytrail circumference and realized there was no thinning what so ever, so that's good I suppose. Then there have been those who really have lost an abnormal amount of hair while CO washing (like, chuncks of hair falling out) and had to quit.

As far as I've read clarifying isn't necissary if your hair isn't acting up. I have been CO washing for just under 2 months and have felt no need to clarify. GRU has gone for ages without clarifying :)

Also could there be another reason for you to notice a greater amount of shedding? I know I started to wear my hair up almost constantly at about the same time I started CO, and therefore it looks like I loos way more hair than I did before, but it's acctually just that all the hairs that have been stuck in the updo slip out when I comb or wash :)

Annibelle
October 9th, 2011, 03:08 PM

This happened to me. I finally decided to try shampooing with regular shampoo (not the clarifying kind). It worked! I'm still COing, but after a few months I guess my scalp wants to be shampooed again. I've been COing since and haven't been shedding like I was before. :)

MissAlyssa
October 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Thank you both for the replies, I think I'm just worrying too much about a normal amount, but I may start washing with regular shampoo once a week because my scalp is on the oilier side. And I have been wearing my hair up more so that would explain seeing more hair as well :P

LoveMyLongHair
October 12th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Gals and Guys,
Guys and Girls,

I have colored blonde hair........professionally done......but it yellows over time......

My hairdressers thinks it is the water........that I need a filtered shower head as I have rural water

I don't tell her what else I do to my hair, as she would never understand.....ever....When I mentioned coconut oil, she shrieked in horror.......lol........whatever

I do monistat and CO washing........Night Blooming's Panacea and Shea Butter........none of that should make my color become brassy, right?

So it could be the water?

I LOVE CO washing.........LOVE it.........and don't want that to be the culprit !!

Of course she sold me a "healthy" shampoo and conditioner,.........healthily full of sls's and cones..and........ya.....you get the picture..........

I did buy a filtered shower head....

GRU
October 12th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I believe that ktani recommends chelating out metals with club soda rinses. If you search on "chelate" you'll probably get some info. My guess is that you're picking up the color from rust(iron) in the water -- do you get rust stains on your fixtures, like in the toilet or from a dripping faucet, maybe?

Kelikea
October 13th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Gals and Guys,
Guys and Girls,

I have colored blonde hair........professionally done......but it yellows over time......

My hairdressers thinks it is the water........that I need a filtered shower head as I have rural water

I don't tell her what else I do to my hair, as she would never understand.....ever....When I mentioned coconut oil, she shrieked in horror.......lol........whatever

I do monistat and CO washing........Night Blooming's Panacea and Shea Butter........none of that should make my color become brassy, right?

So it could be the water?

I LOVE CO washing.........LOVE it.........and don't want that to be the culprit !!

Of course she sold me a "healthy" shampoo and conditioner,.........healthily full of sls's and cones..and........ya.....you get the picture..........

I did buy a filtered shower head....

It could be the water...we get stains on our white clothes sometimes in the washer, a sort of tea-looking stain. Rust or other metals could possibly cause this and/or a reaction to the color in your hair. I agree, a chelating or club soda rinse could help. It may be drying, so try an SMT after.

Linika
October 18th, 2011, 02:29 AM
So, I was lazy yesterday :P I didn't rinse enough and now the hair at the back of my head is slightly greasy. *Sigh* Oh well, I'll do better next time!

els23
October 21st, 2011, 03:23 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experience with CO washing with ONLY cold water. I don't have hot water in my house and while I can heat water to do a bucket bath when I need to wash my hair I'm kind of lazy and would like not to have to every time. I tried for a while doing CO washing as normal in a cold water shower and I found that my hair never really got as clean. Any suggestions?

Roscata
October 21st, 2011, 03:41 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experience with CO washing with ONLY cold water. I don't have hot water in my house and while I can heat water to do a bucket bath when I need to wash my hair I'm kind of lazy and would like not to have to every time. I tried for a while doing CO washing as normal in a cold water shower and I found that my hair never really got as clean. Any suggestions?

I usually use cold water to wash my hair (on purpose) so all I can say is that it didn't really make a huge difference, but you could try to dilute the conditioner with water, that's what fixed most of my problems with CO. Good luck! :D

els23
October 21st, 2011, 05:18 PM
It could also have something to do with the fact that when I'm taking cold showers I tend not to want to wait as long for the conditioner to soak in well... I'm too busy shivering haha.

Cassie 123
October 21st, 2011, 05:53 PM
When I CO, I dampen my hair with cold (room-temperature) water from a jug, then apply conditioner to my scalp, all while I am still fully clothed. I let it sit for 15 minutes and then I hop in the (warm) shower to rinse it off. Perhaps this would work even with a cold rinse?

sharicat
October 22nd, 2011, 02:02 AM
I wash with cool water, leaning over the bath :)

els23
October 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the help! I'm sitting in my living room letting my conditioner soak in right now and I'm going see how it works!!

Shesta
October 23rd, 2011, 02:13 AM
After two months of CO washing my hair is in the best condition it's ever been but I got horrible scalp build up which causes a lot of itching.

At first I was using some cheap italian conditioner, it was pretty cleaning but contained proteins so I stopped using it (my hair doesn't like protein and I didn't want to lead it out of balance).

Then I tried Aveda's conditioner for color-treated hair (even though mine is virgin) but I got the build up problem almost immediately. It's pretty tick and contains some castor oil so I kind of expected it. Still this product is pretty nice as second conditioner applied on the length.

The last conditioner I tried was Garnier's Oil Therapy. I has lovely light consistency but the oils really don't help solving my build-up problem.

Now I'm simply stuck!

If only I could find a conditioner that is Cone-free, Protein-free and Oil-free!! Recently I moved to Denmark and the conventional market here is totally occupied by cones, oils, proteins. At least my first impressions are like so.
I'd be really happy if some danes present on this thread share their experience in CO-washing and products they use and probably I could benefit from these products as well.
Thanks in advance for any advise or opinion!

PS: I was thinking about Body Shops's Rainforest series but as well they all contain oils :(

krissykins
October 23rd, 2011, 02:19 AM
Shesta, I was CO for about 20 months straight and when I got tired of the itching, I tried adding sulfate-free shampoo and shampoo bars into the mix. My hair is much happier when switching up the routine a bit.

mallorykay13
October 23rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
2 Questions: Last wash I used a SLS/silicone S/C pairing. Should I clarify again to get the silicones out?
What is your favorite cone free condish for your length?

Pacific
October 24th, 2011, 12:58 AM
PS: I was thinking about Body Shops's Rainforest series but as well they all contain oils :(
It's not from the Rainforest series but their Banana Conditioner is oil free. For me it works pretty well for CO washing.

Theobroma
October 24th, 2011, 01:22 AM
The last conditioner I tried was Garnier's Oil Therapy. I has lovely light consistency but the oils really don't help solving my build-up problem.

Are you sure it's the oils in the conditioner that are causing the problem, or is it possible that you aren't leaving it on for long enough to work and/or not massaging it into your scalp quite thoroughly enough? I'm asking because I have successfully used a Garnier conditioner that's marketed here in Austria as Oil Repair (aka Triple Nutrition in English-speaking countries.) I don't know whether this is the same as your Oil Therapy, but the similarity in names would certainly indicate that the oils as such may not be the problem.

If only I could find a conditioner that is Cone-free, Protein-free and Oil-free!!

Can you get the Alverde brand in Denmark? My main "cleaning" conditioner is the Green Coffee one. It's quite thick and needs diluting at least 50/50 for easier application, but it does an excellent job of cleaning my hair and scalp and is definitely cone and protein free. Don't know about oils, but they haven't been a problem. Good luck!

GRU
October 24th, 2011, 06:42 AM
2 Questions: Last wash I used a SLS/silicone S/C pairing. Should I clarify again to get the silicones out?

Yes, I would wash one more time with an SLS shampoo before beginning to CO-wash. (Doesn't have to be a "clarifying" shampoo, just something with SLS or other strong detergent to remove the cones.)

jenwexler
October 24th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I thought about trying aussie 3 minute miracle but i saw there were cones in the ingredient list, which my hair does not agree with. are these cones water soluble?

Shesta
October 25th, 2011, 10:43 AM
It's not from the Rainforest series but their Banana Conditioner is oil free. For me it works pretty well for CO washing.

I'll check on that! Thank you, Pacific!

.. I have successfully used a Garnier conditioner that's marketed here in Austria as Oil Repair..

Yes! It's the same. Actually got my 5 bottles from Vienna :D

I'm leaving it in for at least 45 min to an hour before rinsing which I think is more than enough.

Alverde is not available in the market here as danes don't have DM stores (the only place I've seen these products). I've got only half a bottle of the AloeVera/Hibiskus variety. I was using it as second conditioner as it is, as you say, very thick, but maybe I can try diluting it. And ignoring its funky smell :D That would be my first trial. Thanks for reminding me about Alverde. If it doesn't help I'll probably switch to CWC for a while until I get the build up removed.

Otherwise, I found one danish conditioner - it's called "Derma" and it seems to fulfill my requirements but I haven't tried it yet. Surely, I'll report on that as well.

RitaPG
October 25th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I thought about trying aussie 3 minute miracle but i saw there were cones in the ingredient list, which my hair does not agree with. are these cones water soluble?
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products I'm not familiar with the ingredients on Aussie, but this place tells you which cones are soluble in water and which ones aren't.

freckles
October 25th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I was doing great on CO recently but now Original Source have discontinued their conditioners :( booooooo!

Anyone have a suggestion for a conditioner that is ...
1) Available in the UK
2) Cheap
3) Cleansing enough for CO washing
4) Cone free
5) Vegan (no animal testing AND no animal ingredients)

?
It's a Tall Order, I know. But Original Source fitted all my conditions!
I recently bought some conditioner by Simple that fits 1, 2, 3 & 5 but realised after it was already all over my head that it has cones and my hair has not played nice on it :p I'm also tempted to buy some Faith In Nature, it fits 1,4,5 and I've seen other people suggest it for CO so it probably fits 3. But even if I buy the 5L tubs and don't pay too much shipping it's going to be about twice the cost of Original Source per ml :(

Gilly
October 30th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I have started COing yet again!
This time I am using Curls coconut conditioner http://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-products/coconut-sublime-moisturizing-conditioner.html
It is seriously amazing stuff, my hair is still only just past nape and I used maybe a tablespoon at most, smooshed it through my wet hair, left it until I had done all my other shower stuff, then I added a bit of water and smooshed it some more then rinsed.
My hair was as clean as if I had used a shampoo and conditioner :cheese: I am going to keep doing this for as long as I can!

morrigan*
October 30th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Two days ago I try the CO wash for the first time, and I love it :D.
Could anyone recommend wich alverde conditioner is good for cleansing ?

Theobroma
October 31st, 2011, 02:58 AM
Two days ago I try the CO wash for the first time, and I love it :D.
Could anyone recommend wich alverde conditioner is good for cleansing ?

I use their Green Coffee conditioner, diluted at a ratio of one part conditioner to three or four parts of water (I think. I dilute by guesstimate). Works very well for me.

morrigan*
October 31st, 2011, 04:58 AM
Thank you Theobroma.

isabelx
October 31st, 2011, 05:35 AM
I was doing great on CO recently but now Original Source have discontinued their conditioners :( booooooo!

1) Available in the UK
2) Cheap
4) Cone free

?
I recently bought some conditioner by Simple that fits 1, 2, 3 & 5 but realised after it was already all over my head that it has cones and my hair has not played nice on it :p I'm also tempted to buy some Faith In Nature, it fits 1,4,5 and I've seen other people suggest it for CO so it probably fits 3. But even if I buy the 5L tubs and don't pay too much shipping it's going to be about twice the cost of Original Source per ml :(

Faith in Nature conditioners are good. Can't you buy them in store to cut out the shipping prices? I don't know where about you live in the UK but I can buy their products from my local health store. You can use this to find your nearest supplier - http://www.faithinnature.co.uk/storelocator.php

How about Tesco Smooth Coconut Conditioner? It fits 1, 2 and 3. I haven't used it for CO washing so I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure Tesco don't test their products on animals, and the ingredients are basic so I can't see there being any animal ingredients in there either.

bouclée
October 31st, 2011, 10:56 AM
Hi,

I used to CO then went WO during about two months. My scalp likes WO but my lengths not so much. The water here is highly chlorinated and, despite a final diluted vinegar rinse, it was too drying for my wavy/curly lengths.

So I've found an "in-between" solution, which seems to be working fine: I am WO my scalp and CO my lengths. Maybe you could try this, Shesta? After quiet a short transition period my scalp is not greasy (I rinse/CO very other day, mostly because of the hot weather here) and I doesn't itch any more.

freckles
October 31st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Faith in Nature conditioners are good. Can't you buy them in store to cut out the shipping prices? I don't know where about you live in the UK but I can buy their products from my local health store. You can use this to find your nearest supplier - http://www.faithinnature.co.uk/storelocator.php

How about Tesco Smooth Coconut Conditioner? It fits 1, 2 and 3. I haven't used it for CO washing so I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure Tesco don't test their products on animals, and the ingredients are basic so I can't see there being any animal ingredients in there either.

thanks for the Faith in Nature endorsement. Yes, I can buy it near me -- it's just that it's significantly more expensive than Original Source -- even if it's not 'obectively' expensive :) Of course, it will be different prices in different locations, I'll see what the prices are like in the different shops :)

Unfortunately I'm not sure how I could tell if Tesco's conditioners are vegan -- they undoubtably have many ingredients that could be derived either from animal or non-animal sources so I tend to stick to cosmetics specifically claiming to be vegan. But thanks for the suggestion!

rena
November 2nd, 2011, 10:21 PM
I was using CO with great success over the summer, and I'm glad to say I have adapted it for winter use as well. Glad to say I'm about 99.9&#37; a CO-holic now. Also, I found myself an (ancient) bottle of White Rain conditioner, with the formula before they started adding cones to it. I like it, and am sad to think it will completely disappear soon.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Anyone ever notice their hair thicken up any since switching to CO? Because I could almost swear that's what's happening with me.

Kelikea
November 3rd, 2011, 05:09 AM
I don't know if it is the CO or not, but my hair is thicker than it used to be. I used to have hip length hair without layers and my bun was much easier to make than now. Now it is hard to twist it into the bun and get the ends tucked in and have the bun look even. My braid also has significantly less taper, and that is with my layers. Last time I measured it was 4.25 and in July it was 4 inches exactly.

Sorry you are about to be out of your old CO--what else have you tried? I like the VO5 vanilla mint tea.
Happy Growing...

rena
November 3rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
I don't know if it is the CO or not, but my hair is thicker than it used to be. I used to have hip length hair without layers and my bun was much easier to make than now. Now it is hard to twist it into the bun and get the ends tucked in and have the bun look even. My braid also has significantly less taper, and that is with my layers. Last time I measured it was 4.25 and in July it was 4 inches exactly.

Sorry you are about to be out of your old CO--what else have you tried? I like the VO5 vanilla mint tea.
Happy Growing...

Thanks. I actually began with Garnier Fructise conditioners. I have to diltute them but they work very nicely for me. I recently ran out of them though, and that's when I discovered the White rain.

Becky9679
November 4th, 2011, 07:52 AM

1) Available in the UK
2) Cheap
4) Cone free

?

I'm a CO vegan in the UK who's cone-free and I use Superdrug naturals! You have to check the bottle as some of the 'flavours' are vegan and some are only vegetarian but they're all clearly labelled as to which is which so you don't have to check the ingredients. My favourite is raspberry and macadamia nut. In my local superdrug they are 99p or two bottles for £1.75. They are certainly cleansing enough for CO, I've used nothing else since May of this year. They're quite thick but easy to dilute if you wish. I tend to use it full strength though!

Oksana
November 4th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Tesco coconut conditioner is my staple conditioner for CO'ing. I find it works best if you dilute it a little :)

freckles
November 9th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I'm a CO vegan in the UK who's cone-free and I use Superdrug naturals! You have to check the bottle as some of the 'flavours' are vegan and some are only vegetarian but they're all clearly labelled as to which is which so you don't have to check the ingredients. My favourite is raspberry and macadamia nut. In my local superdrug they are 99p or two bottles for £1.75. They are certainly cleansing enough for CO, I've used nothing else since May of this year. They're quite thick but easy to dilute if you wish. I tend to use it full strength though!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely check them out! :D

anilov
November 11th, 2011, 03:40 AM
I think I've run into a problem with my CO. I've used it since January/February, and once I figured out the right products it has helped my hair, which was previously quite dry. Now I would like to think that it is more moisturized, but I ran into problems with my last wash:

I felt that I needed to clarify, and got a schampoo bar (Jumping Juniper) from Lush, as well as their Jungle condition bar (My hair has always liked Lush products, even though I know that others have problems with borth the smell and the products themselves). My hair felt fantastic! I hardly had to detangle after using them, and it stayed that way for a whole week. So I thought that I got rid of some build-up by using that schampoo, and now I'd go back to my normal routine (which is washing with a diluted, cheap conditioner, then using Garnier Fructis triple nutrition, and then an ACV-rinse). But after my first "normal" wash my hair has started tangling much more than previously. I have to detangle it with my fingers for ten minutes before I can brush it, and even then I feel as if my hair tangles again as soon as I've detangled it. Could I have gained build-up already after one wash, or is my hair fed up with the conditioners that I've used since early June? If this continues I'm thinking of switching back to CWC, but I remember that it was not enough last winter to keep my hair moisturized, so I would like to stick to the CO-washing.

morrigan*
November 11th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Can you use conditioner bars for CO ?

Ovis
November 12th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I've been COing for around 5 months now, with a very occasional CWC. I'm also a UK vegan (:waving:) and was getting great results with Superdrug's Rasberry & Macadamia and Tea Tree & Peppermint Naturals Conditioners. The shampoo I use is Liz Earle (http://uk.lizearle.com/haircare.html) (slightly expensive, but it's lovely and rich so I don't find I need that much for a scalp shampoo), and I clarify every month or so with Pureology (http://pureology-uk.com/purify.htm).

I had AMAZING results with CO to start with and realised my waves were much wavier than I thought (which is a lot, considering I thought I had straight frizzy hair). I even have quite a few corkscrew/ringlet curls underneath! I now only comb my hair with a very wide-toothed comb when absolutely necessary, and maybe brush very gently on day 3 or so when I have to start bunning/updoing to hide the lanky mankiness descending. My scalp stopped itching, I have vastly less shedding and the hair growth around my temples especially looks much denser (this could be thanks to my satin pillowcase too though). I still have the unkempt/unmanageable look and my canopy is still quite frizzy, but much less so than before.

Unfortunately, during the last couple of weeks I find that my hair seems much less shiny and the colour seems duller. I did have an Aveda semi-permanent colour early in September, so it could be that that's finally washed out and left crappy hair underneath. Worst of all, the itchy scalp is back :(. Not mad, crazy, frantic itchiness, more like an 'occasional ant taking a stroll across the scalp' type of itch. I'm doing my first henna application tomorrow, and will CO until that's all washed out, but I think after that I'll have to go back to CWC I guess.

GRU
November 13th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Worst of all, the itchy scalp is back :(. Not mad, crazy, frantic itchiness, more like an 'occasional ant taking a stroll across the scalp' type of itch. I'm doing my first henna application tomorrow, and will CO until that's all washed out, but I think after that I'll have to go back to CWC I guess.

Have you tried shampooing to clarify? Some CO-washers clarify once a week, once a month, etc. (I only do it once a year, but I'm very anal about reading labels so I don't use any products that might leave a residue.)

Worst of all, the itchy scalp is back :(. Not mad, crazy, frantic itchiness, more like an 'occasional ant taking a stroll across the scalp' type of itch. I'm doing my first henna application tomorrow, and will CO until that's all washed out, but I think after that I'll have to go back to CWC I guess.

Have you tried diluting your conditioner when you wash? Many of us (including me with my seborrheic dermatitis) have found that diluting the conditioner and applying it directly to the scalp with a nozzle bottle makes it easier to get the scalp good and clean (in conjunction with thorough scrubbing/massaging technique). Depending on the thickness of your conditioner, you could look at as little as a 1:1 ratio of conditioner to water for a thinner conditioner, or as much as 1:5 for a conditioner that is very thick to begin with.

You may also find that the itchies disappear with the henna.... scalps generally get very happy after henna. :)

Ovis
November 13th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Have you tried shampooing to clarify? Some CO-washers clarify once a week, once a month, etc. (I only do it once a year, but I'm very anal about reading labels so I don't use any products that might leave a residue.)

I clarified with Pureology (link above) before starting CO, then about once a month (as I said above :)), and as soon as the itchies started I clarified again, and then did it once a week for couple of weeks, but no luck. I'm wondering whether perhaps it's because I plop/air dry and only brush once per wash cycle? Maybe my scalp needs some kind of contact, either through brushing or massage? I think the Superdrug conditioner is free of sulphates and cones (and I know it's definitely vegan), but I'm not sure what else it contains that might leave a residue. I'll take a look at the ingredients in more depth later.

Have you tried diluting your conditioner when you wash? Many of us (including me with my seborrheic dermatitis) have found that diluting the conditioner and applying it directly to the scalp with a nozzle bottle makes it easier to get the scalp good and clean (in conjunction with thorough scrubbing/massaging technique). Depending on the thickness of your conditioner, you could look at as little as a 1:1 ratio of conditioner to water for a thinner conditioner, or as much as 1:5 for a conditioner that is very thick to begin with.

I've tried a variety of dilutions so far, partly to make the conditioner last longer (it is reasonably thick) and partly to experiment with how easily it spread around my scalp. It comes in a pump dispenser bottle, and I've tried using that to apply it directly to the scalp, but that just caused instant irritation due to the contact. I do prefer the idea of CO to CWC, so I might just try out some different conditioners instead. The problem is finding vegan-friendly cheap conditioners :headache:

You may also find that the itchies disappear with the henna.... scalps generally get very happy after henna. :)

I can't wait! I've still got the henna on after 3.5 hours, so I'll be washing out soon.:)

Totte
November 14th, 2011, 06:30 AM
I've decided to give this another go :) Now that I chopped all my dry/damaged/suicidal hair off and it's fairly manageable I want to make this work. Last time it worked well on my lengths and scalp but the hair next to my hair was an oily MESS all the time. Yuck.

I used a conditioner called "Neutral" (aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol
, Behenoyl PG-Trimonium Chloride, Hexylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate) to scrub my scalp. And believe me after I was done with that the consistency of the conditioner felt like a shampoo rubbed in, haha. Talk about volume! After that I used Faith in Nature's Rosemary Conditioner to apply to the rest of my head. Finished with an ACV.

I find it really hard to find good conditioners in stores here >_>; I have to buy FiN online D:

Anyone have any good recommendations for what definitely should/not be on the label of a good conditioner? I'm pretty anal retentive about reading labels but when it comes to conditioners I haven't quite figured out what shouldn't be in there ._.

GRU
November 14th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Anyone have any good recommendations for what definitely should/not be on the label of a good conditioner? I'm pretty anal retentive about reading labels but when it comes to conditioners I haven't quite figured out what shouldn't be in there ._.

I like this page (http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/product%20ingredients.htm) for product recommendations for/against. I actually like the whole site, but this page in particular for your purposes.

This page (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products) is another good one for ingredients.

Totte
November 14th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I like this page (http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/product%20ingredients.htm) for product recommendations for/against. I actually like the whole site, but this page in particular for your purposes.

This page (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products) is another good one for ingredients.
Oh! Thank you very much:) :blossom:

GRU
November 14th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Oh! Thank you very much:) :blossom:

You're very welcome! I have both pages bookmarked/favorited, they make a great reference!

gracenotes
November 15th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Can you use conditioner bars for CO ?

I've used Jungle from Lush with moderate success. In my experience, it's not as moisturizing as "regular" CO, but it works well enough :) It's handy for traveling, too!!

Swan 92
November 15th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Shared the CO secret with some family. :cheese:

My cousin and a couple of my aunts came to visit.

My cousin told me they were all having hair problems (dry/breaking off all the time).

So I gave them some LHC tips I've learned.

Their reactions were hilarious. :D

"You're NOT suppost to brush your hair when it's wet?!"

"I can use my hands to brush out the knots instead of yanking hair out?!"

"Just conditioner! Is that why you're hair is so soft!? *Grabs hair* Why didn't I think of that?" :eek:

:lol:

morrigan*
November 15th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I've used Jungle from Lush with moderate success. In my experience, it's not as moisturizing as "regular" CO, but it works well enough :) It's handy for traveling, too!!
Thats why i asking that, i thinking to use this too.

Sunshineliz
November 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Shared the CO secret with some family. :cheese:

My cousin and a couple of my aunts came to visit.

My cousin told me they were all having hair problems (dry/breaking off all the time).

So I gave them some LHC tips I've learned.

Their reactions were hilarious. :D

"You're NOT suppost to brush your hair when it's wet?!"

"I can use my hands to brush out the knots instead of yanking hair out?!"

"Just conditioner! Is that why you're hair is so soft!? *Grabs hair* Why didn't I think of that?" :eek:

:lol:

LOL!:laugh: Love it! I think it is just agreed in my family that I'm a little nuts when it comes to hair. Haven't convinced DH to CO his own curls yet, for example (but I did convince him to stop brushing it!) At least he isn't threatening to get out the shampoo and wash DD5's hair himself anymore (which he was doing when he first found out I was CO washing her hair.)

dili
November 17th, 2011, 12:03 AM
i will start co this week, just getting some cone free products
i got suave naturals ocean breeze, and i oil it with coconut oil
before start i will clarify with suave daily clarifying.
i problably gonna need a cone free curl definer, but i didnt find any cone free yet, the mousse i have have cones...

jenwexler
November 17th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I've tried w/o for my in between days that I don't want to use VO5 clarifying conditioner. W/o is giving me little flakes and I've been doing this for a while. Should I just use a moisturizing VO5 conditioner as my cleanser on the in between days? I used Burts bees as my normal conditioner.

einna
November 17th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I've tried w/o for my in between days that I don't want to use VO5 clarifying conditioner. W/o is giving me little flakes and I've been doing this for a while. Should I just use a moisturizing VO5 conditioner as my cleanser on the in between days? I used Burts bees as my normal conditioner.

I use very moisturising conditioners for my CO, I just dilute them with lots of water. I have very dry "big" hair though, that does not get weighed worn easily. My advice would be to try and see if it works. :)

chou
November 20th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I have a question: how often do you long-term co-washers wash? I have co-washed every other day for three washes with Suave Naturals Coconut and although after the first wash my hair was AMAZING, it has felt a little drier after every wash. I'm sensitive to protein and this conditioner has protein. I'm wondering--am I overcleansing and I should stretch my washes with this conditioner, or should I switch to a protein-free co for washing?

RitaPG
November 20th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I have a question: how often do you long-term co-washers wash? I have co-washed every other day for three washes with Suave Naturals Coconut and although after the first wash my hair was AMAZING, it has felt a little drier after every wash. I'm sensitive to protein and this conditioner has protein. I'm wondering--am I overcleansing and I should stretch my washes with this conditioner, or should I switch to a protein-free co for washing?
You should probably find a protein free conditioner for CO. I use protein CO once a week, but for everyday use that might be too much.

Neya
November 20th, 2011, 02:38 PM
What is a good protein co for occasional use? Preferably one without coconut scent.

I just started co-washing 6 days ago and my hair feels SO good. All my flakes have stopped in their tracks. It's still frizzy/dry feeling at the ends - but everyday it feels like another inch or two in legnth is getting softer.

I'm lucky, no greasies or over oiling of the scalp. I co wash daily as I must remove the stench of cigarettes.

RitaPG
November 20th, 2011, 02:43 PM
What is a good protein co for occasional use? Preferably one without coconut scent.

I just started co-washing 6 days ago and my hair feels SO good. All my flakes have stopped in their tracks. It's still frizzy/dry feeling at the ends - but everyday it feels like another inch or two in legnth is getting softer.

I'm lucky, no greasies or over oiling of the scalp. I co wash daily as I must remove the stench of cigarettes.
You best look for it in the reviews (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showcat.php?cat=3&stype=1&si=&perpage=24&sort=2&stype=&limit=&cat=3&ppuser=)section, what I have here might be different from what is available there. I find that Gliss Asia Straight works quite well, it's really cleansing and makes my hair super shiny.
Loreal Elvive Nutri Gloss is very good too.

chou
November 20th, 2011, 02:49 PM
You should probably find a protein free conditioner for CO. I use protein CO once a week, but for everyday use that might be too much.

Thanks! This is helpful. I think I might try White Rain coconut co now and stretch washes more. I can't handle fruity-scented conditioners so the rest of the Suave Naturals line is off-limits for me. What conditioner do you use?

RitaPG
November 20th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks! This is helpful. I think I might try White Rain coconut co now and stretch washes more. I can't handle fruity-scented conditioners so the rest of the Suave Naturals line is off-limits for me. What conditioner do you use?
I switch brands often, Rainsforest Moisture from the Body Shop (very diluted) and anything by Garnier Ultra Mild, which is not a very popular brand outside Europe. Sometimes I use Gliss Asia Straight or Elvive Nutri Gloss for protein.

WaterMusic
November 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM

I had to stop using Suave Coconut regularly and switch to the Suave Tangerine conditioner because of the protein overload.

patienceneeded
November 20th, 2011, 05:42 PM
CO'd for several months (almost 6?) with cone-free, SLS free conditioners. Found I was shedding more than normal and it never really stablized. Also, my hair was never fully tangle-free like it was with coney products. I did an ACV rinse once a week, sometimes more. I did a DT once every week or two as well. I made sure to only use protein products once a week (although my hair generally likes protein). For a while I loved it, but found that after a few months that my hair felt thinner and "squishy." I also had difficulty running my fingers through my hair once dry, it just never really detangled well at the ends. So, I experimented and have currently settled on a CWC routine.

How I CWC is this. I wet my hair in the shower and then cover all my hair except my scalp in a cone-free conditioner. Then I let it sit while I do shower-things (shave legs, etc). I shampoo with a SLS-free poo (generally, but will use other poos as well). What I do is I apply the poo to my scalp and I tip my head back in the water for a second and then massage the shampoo into my scalp. I then rinse everything off my hair (cone-free condish on ends, shampoo on scalp). Once my hair is rinsed I apply a coney conditioner to my length (ears down) and let it sit while I soap and rinse my body. I turn the water temperature down a bit (cool, not cold) and rinse my hair again as well as wash my face. All told, it takes 15-20 minutes in the shower, although I can make it 10 if I hurry. Not bad. I've had no issues with build-up and my hair has the slip I like again. It's still just as soft as when I CO'd only, but the shedding has stopped. I think CWC works great for my hair.

Theobroma
November 25th, 2011, 05:11 AM
I just edited my .sig. :)

Honestly, even on this board I am frankly embarrassed to admit to exactly how many bottles of Triple Nutrition I have in my stash. Nothing comes close to this stuff; my hair adores it, and I live in terror of Garnier changing the formula or discontinuing the product! So... today I came home from the grocery run with yet another four bottles to squirrel away... :blushing:

jaine
November 25th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I apologize if this has been asked yet but does anyone know of a good CO-washing conditioner that I could buy at Whole Foods? (or some other "obsessively natural" kind of brand.)
Because of my sensitive skin I have to use products that are paraben-free with no "fragrance" ingredient - but essential oils are OK, I just don't like the "fragrance" wildcard because that could be anything.

coffinhert
November 25th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I apologize if this has been asked yet but does anyone know of a good CO-washing conditioner that I could buy at Whole Foods? (or some other "obsessively natural" kind of brand.)
Because of my sensitive skin I have to use products that are paraben-free with no "fragrance" ingredient - but essential oils are OK, I just don't like the "fragrance" wildcard because that could be anything.

Have you tried going to Whole Foods and looking at the ingredients for all the conditioners? Then you can know for sure, and verify that you like the way it smells. I rather enjoy this process of checking out everything in the store. Maybe it's just me :P When I go shopping with friends I tell them "I'll be in the bath and beauty isle smelling things."

You should check out Trader Joe's too if there's one in your area, they have cheap all-natural conditioners with essential oils only. And they have a no-hassle return policy, so if you have a problem with it, you can bring it back and they take it, no questions asked.

ETA: I've used the following brands for CO successfully: V05, Trader Joe's, Nature's Gate (tons of dif scents), Sonoma Valley. I think they're all paraben free, but double check.

jaine
November 25th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Have you tried going to Whole Foods and looking at the ingredients for all the conditioners? Then you can know for sure, and verify that you like the way it smells. I rather enjoy this process of checking out everything in the store. Maybe it's just me :P When I go shopping with friends I tell them "I'll be in the bath and beauty isle smelling things."

You should check out Trader Joe's too if there's one in your area, they have cheap all-natural conditioners with essential oils only. And they have a no-hassle return policy, so if you have a problem with it, you can bring it back and they take it, no questions asked.

ETA: I've used the following brands for CO successfully: V05, Trader Joe's, Nature's Gate (tons of dif scents), Sonoma Valley. I think they're all paraben free, but double check.

Good to know that Nature's gate worked...I can check the ingredients next time I'm there and see if there is paraben. It's hard to tell by looking at the ingredients if it will rinse clean or leave some sort of residue in my hair.

SapphiraSilver
November 27th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I have been Shampoo free for a month and I have seen a great improvement in my hair. I bleach, so you can imagine what Shampoo does to my already fried, dry hair, it just makes it extremely frizzy and dry and feel like straw. It is so much better now with just Conditioner. I have used all kinds of conditioner, the ones that work well for my fried hair are Full Repair (http://www.johnfrieda.com/en-US/ProductDetail/Hair-Care/Full-Repair/Full-Body-Conditioner) by John Frieda, but I also recommend TreSemme Naturals (http://www.tresemme.com.au/Products/Naturals/Nourishing-Moisture-Conditioner/)which is cheaper and cone free, I use the one for dry hair and it's just beautiful, I'll be using this one a lot. Give it a go, it's cone free, but it still gives you that awesome silky feeling. I do use Frizz Ease Serum (http://www.johnfrieda.com.au/ProductDetail/Hair-Care/Frizz-Ease/Hair-Serum-Extra-Strength-Formula) though, but I am so glad to be Shampoo free :)

jenwexler
November 27th, 2011, 05:49 PM

I got a conditioner just the other day from Whole Foods. It says shea butter on it and is 32 oz. It has the options of vanilla mint, lavender, or scent free.

earthymamawitch
November 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Jen - that's the Everyday Shea isn't it? Would you mind posting a review after you try it? I've seen it many times at Whole Foods and been curious!

Jenn

jenwexler
November 27th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I really liked it. I mixed it with Nature's gate henna conditioner. They're both very thick. I'll have to try it again in a few days to really pay attention to the outcome.

gazelle
November 28th, 2011, 02:46 AM
I switch brands often, Rainsforest Moisture from the Body Shop (very diluted) and anything by Garnier Ultra Mild, which is not a very popular brand outside Europe. Sometimes I use Gliss Asia Straight or Elvive Nutri Gloss for protein.
Do you use the Gliss for washing? (on your scalp?)

alfaro123
November 28th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I been doing co for 4 days knw and when I wet it it feels like wax but then when it dries it don't feel as bad is it normal or am I doing something wrong?

RitaPG
November 28th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Do you use the Gliss for washing? (on your scalp?)
Yes I do. Protein conditioners feel more cleansing sometimes, and when I use it my whole hair feels shiny and not heavy at all and my scalp feels super clean but not dried out.

I been doing co for 4 days knw and when I wet it it feels like wax but then when it dries it don't feel as bad is it normal or am I doing something wrong?
Yep, that's normal. Sometimes I get the waxy feeling while my hair is drying, but afterwards it looks (and feels) fine :)
ETA: Just make sure you rinse it well.

jaine
November 28th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Jen - that's the Everyday Shea isn't it? Would you mind posting a review after you try it? I've seen it many times at Whole Foods and been curious!

Jenn

I tried co-washing with this and my hair became very gummy and dull after a few washes. I had to shampoo it. (hence my whole foods conditioner question actually...I didn't want to do any more trial and error)

milagro
November 29th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Hi I'm here again :waving:
It's exactly a year since I started CO routine (with a few occasional clarifying washes). My hair condition improved, it is silkier, stronger and less frizzy, and my scalp is not flakey any more. Another benefit is that the dye (I color my grey roots with 6&#37;-ox dye) doesn't fade as quickly as with shampoo washing.
Pictures taken in the same spot and lighting:
Before COhttp://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6791&pictureid=90302
at the start, about 2 weeks into CO http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6791&pictureid=90303

Now
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6791&pictureid=115561 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6791&pictureid=119945

I am a devoted COer, definitely :)

jenwexler
November 30th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I tried co-washing with this and my hair became very gummy and dull after a few washes. I had to shampoo it. (hence my whole foods conditioner question actually...I didn't want to do any more trial and error)

It was fine mixed with nature's gate henna conditioner...but if I get the gummy feeling, i'll just stick to the henna conditioner.

cnd0020
November 30th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I accidentally stumbled upon CO washing about three weeks ago while reading conditioner reviews on Makeupalley.

I feel like such a dork for using SLS shampoos for so long... and wondering why my hair was always dry and frizzy! :shake:

Now, just two weeks in to CO washing with Tresemme Naturals, Garnier Triple Nutrition, and Suave conditioners, I can't believe how much softer, shinier, and frizz-free my hair is.

So now, I'm on a mission to help others! My sister has gorgeous, WL blonde hair. But it's overprocessed and she constantly blowdrys and straightens the life out of it. For Christmas, I'm going to do a protein treatment on her, followed by a moisture treatment, and teach her the gospel of CO Washing!

Jessfoz
November 30th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Just wondering if it is standard for people to do clarifying washes and how often? Am going back to COing, trying to avoid cones, so perhaps won't need to?

Theobroma
November 30th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Just wondering if it is standard for people to do clarifying washes and how often? Am going back to COing, trying to avoid cones, so perhaps won't need to?

I've been CO for almost a year and a half and haven't clarified once in that time. If you don't put anything on your hair that isn't water soluble, there should be no need to do so!

WaterMusic
November 30th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I "clarify" once every month or two. I put that in quotation marks because I don't use a clarifying shampoo, just a regular old SLS cone free shampoo that I am trying to use up. I dilute it probably 100:1, dump it over my hair, scrub my scalp for about 5 seconds, and then rinse as quickly as possible. Not much, but that's all I need to keep my hair happy.

Neya
November 30th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I'm still attempting to go full co. It makes my hair feel awesome but so far the last 2 weeks ive put something on my hair then looked @ ingrediants only to realize I used a 'cone.

Like ugh. Hair spray, really? Cones (at least for me) kill frizz but also kill my curls/waves. No wonder when my aunt tried to curl my hair years ago it wouldn't stick ever (she only uses chi products... Loaded with cones. I just never thought they'd put it in hair spray too)

Theobroma
December 1st, 2011, 02:12 AM
Like ugh. Hair spray, really? Cones (at least for me) kill frizz but also kill my curls/waves. No wonder when my aunt tried to curl my hair years ago it wouldn't stick ever (she only uses chi products... Loaded with cones. I just never thought they'd put it in hair spray too)

They put them in hand creams and body butters as well. Makes my skin feel coated in plastic and every bit as dry as it was before. I completely fail to see the point!

Lippytoes
December 1st, 2011, 03:23 AM
milagro, your hair was lovely before, but it looks so much more moisturised and curlier now! Awesome!

morrigan*
December 2nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
Have anybody any experience with l'occtiane conditioners ?

I want big one because of the bottle :D

milagro
December 2nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
Lippytoes, thank you! :flower:
I really see and feel the difference in hair quality.

Jessfoz, it depends on routine and hair type.
I've been 'cone-free and virtually product-free since I started CO and nevertheless I experienced buildup issues about 5 months into CO routine. A lot of things can build up on your hair besides silicones, that is oils, wax etc which you use in treatments and some may be in your condish or other things you use. So I had to clarify (with a mild SLS-free shampoo) and I do it every time I notice my hair gets lank or dull. Made three times during the past year :)
You will see if you need to clarify by how your hair behaves. If it's ok, no need to :)

Lissandria
December 2nd, 2011, 01:40 AM
Very impressive CO results milagro. :agape:

milagro
December 2nd, 2011, 02:11 AM
Lissandria, thanks :)

Jessfoz
December 2nd, 2011, 09:43 AM
After clarifying and then doing a silicone free SMT, my hair still feels stripped. I put some coconut oil in there but am afraid that will be hard to clean out so what should I use as a leave in? I was going to buy a silicone free leave in but any suggestions for what I can do for now? Use some of my conditioner?

milagro
December 4th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Jessfoz, you may use the same condish you CO with as leave-in, works just as well :) Just put a little bit on soaking-wet hair.

dili
December 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM
my hair started falling like crazy...i started co and it just got worst, but also i had been in a lot of stress and my vitamins finished...could be the co making my hair fall down??

also my hair is looking strange...i am using suave to co it, then coconut oil to add some softness, only that makes me hair looks dry, but i feel i need a heavier conditioner, my hair is really dry

RitaPG
December 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM
my hair started falling like crazy...i started co and it just got worst, but also i had been in a lot of stress and my vitamins finished...could be the co making my hair fall down??

also my hair is looking strange...i am using suave to co it, then coconut oil to add some softness, only that makes me hair looks dry, but i feel i need a heavier conditioner, my hair is really dry
This is just my opinion, but I believe it's impossible that CO can make your hair fall out, conditioner is far more gentle than shampoo, there's no way it could damage your scalp in a way that would make it shed.
Stress and vitamin deficiency, on the other hand, have a major role in hair and health, so you might want to start there.
Suave is a very light conditioner, it is good to wash the scalp, but if your hair feels dry you definitely need a heavier conditioner for the length and ends.

alittleprincess
December 4th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I tried CO for the first time, and so far, I think I like it. I used Suave Naturals in Juicy Green Apple. My hair looks quite clean, and I made my boyfriend smell my roots. He was confused but said that they smelled clean too! In fact, now that it's dry, it looks pretty similar to when I wash it. I think I'm going to transition slowly (CO for a day, then wash for a day) to eventually get to maybe washing once a week? Do you guys think that is too often? I've tried stretching washes before with no luck.

rbecks
December 4th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Just tried CO washing with my new bottle of Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume. My hair feels nice, but better than that my scalp feels great - now lets see how it lasts.

milagro
December 5th, 2011, 12:14 AM
This is just my opinion, but I believe it's impossible that CO can make your hair fall out, conditioner is far more gentle than shampoo, there's no way it could damage your scalp in a way that would make it shed.
Stress and vitamin deficiency, on the other hand, have a major role in hair and health, so you might want to start there.

second this. I think the appearance of increasing shedding with CO might be that the already fallen hairs slip out easily during washing with conditioner due to its smoothing quality, versus shampoo which raises the cuticle so those hairs get tangled and stay within.
And also one becomes more watchful when starting a new routine :) Doesn't cancel the need of healthy regime, though.

milagro
December 5th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I think I'm going to transition slowly (CO for a day, then wash for a day) to eventually get to maybe washing once a week? Do you guys think that is too often? I've tried stretching washes before with no luck.
If by wash you mean shampoo then I don't think it would work. The point of CO routine is that hair and scalp don't get stripped with harsh detergents so it may restore its natural balance. Shampooing every other day doesn't suit this purpose :)
AFAIK most people experience transition period after starting CO, it takes a few weeks to adjust and stretch CO washes. It took me about 6 weeks. I started with COing every two-three days and gradually came to 4-5 days.
And why would you want to wash with shampoo the next day if your hair is clean?

Jessfoz
December 5th, 2011, 08:14 AM
milagro, thanks for your helpful replies! :)

Speaking of heavy conditioners, does anyone know of a good one? conefree

1hunky5monkeys
December 5th, 2011, 09:53 AM
milagro, thanks for your helpful replies! :)

Speaking of heavy conditioners, does anyone know of a good one? conefree

I love Garnier Triple Nutrition. :crush:

Georgies
December 5th, 2011, 10:31 AM

coconut oil can be drying for some people - maybe try leaving that step out? my hair responds poorly to many oils.

alittleprincess
December 5th, 2011, 11:41 AM
And why would you want to wash with shampoo the next day if your hair is clean?

That is my problem with stretching washes. As of right now, my hair is already getting greasy, even though I CO washed last night. This happens with shampoo too. I can get through the day with reasonably presentable hair, but by nighttime, my hair is no longer clean and is visibly very greasy. So I figured alternating CO washing with regular washing would just strip my hair a bit less. But you're saying that won't work at all?

mneh
December 5th, 2011, 05:09 PM
That is my problem with stretching washes. As of right now, my hair is already getting greasy, even though I CO washed last night. This happens with shampoo too. I can get through the day with reasonably presentable hair, but by nighttime, my hair is no longer clean and is visibly very greasy. So I figured alternating CO washing with regular washing would just strip my hair a bit less. But you're saying that won't work at all?

Hiya, sincere apologies for being too tired to type out a long answer, but here's a post I made in a thread that might help you :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1893680&postcount=5

ETA: I gave up CO-washing because it made my scalp irritated and my hair never got any less oily.

alittleprincess
December 5th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks mneh. I didn't even think of looking for gentler shampoos. I think my hair might just be the type that needs to be washed more frequently (genetics probably :rolleyes:) My goal is to find a method which keeps it clean but isn't too drying, which is why I'm giving CO a try. I'll give your recommendations a try too!

coffinhert
December 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM
If your hair or scalp are dry, you could try doing a light/medium oiling before washing. Then there's a bit of protection that remains through and after the shampoo. I very lightly oil both my scalp and length after a shower, too.

milagro
December 5th, 2011, 10:17 PM
As CO routine it won't work but as a gentle substitute of your usual wash it will :)
But if you scalp produce a lot of oil it may well be because of stripping it with daily shampooing. If you feel greasy, you might just rinse&scrub with water or give it another CO wash.

pressedflowers
December 5th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but I just started co-washing about a month ago and I'm not sure I'm cleaning my scalp effectively. I'm getting quite a bit of itch on day 2 even though when I used shampoo I went 2-3 days between washes as well.

Any tips for how to scrub my scalp clean? I feel like I'm scrubbing it enough (because my arms get tired!) but can't get past the second day itch.

I'm using cheap no 'cone conditioners, V05 and White Rain, etc.

1hunky5monkeys
December 5th, 2011, 10:50 PM

Perhaps your scalp needs more time to adjust to CO washes. When I first started CO washing, I had to do it everyday. Eventually I could skip one day. As of now, I CO wash every 2-3 days. It has been 6 months since I began. I use Suave Coconut for my scalp, and Garnier Triple Nutrition for my length.

milagro
December 5th, 2011, 10:53 PM
pressedflowers, do you rinse it off really well? probably you leave some residue that irritates.
Or it may be an individual reaction to some ingredients.

mneh
December 6th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Thanks mneh. I didn't even think of looking for gentler shampoos. I think my hair might just be the type that needs to be washed more frequently (genetics probably :rolleyes:) My goal is to find a method which keeps it clean but isn't too drying, which is why I'm giving CO a try. I'll give your recommendations a try too!

You're welcome :) I am definitely one of those people who just has oily scalp (Over the course of my life, I've tried so many things in an effort to 'correct' it but now I just embrace it as part of me). I really wish CO-washing had worked for my scalp, because it did great things for my length, but twas not to be :(

Milagro is right in that oiliness can be exacerbated by washing with something that strips oil from the scalp - when I used sulphate shampoos they caused my scalp to go into overdrive in trying to replace the stripped oil. Even though CO-washing didn't work for my scalp it taught me that if I'm gentler with my scalp it will produce less oil. Nowadays, I can get 3 days out of my hair (if I want to) which is something I could never manage before - although by day 3 it is looking a little shiny from oil on the scalp ;)

Coffinhert suggested oiling your scalp and I forgot to mention that I do that from time to time - it sounds strange to add oil to an oily scalp but it does work. I suppose it means that my shampoo removes less of the oil my scalp produces. I use virgin coconut oil (about 1.5 teaspoons) but I've also used jojoba. I put the solid oil in a cup and float it in the bathroom sink, that is filled with warm water, in order to melt it. I dip my fingertips into the oil and massage it onto my scalp just before getting into the shower.

Do let me know how you get on with your quest to make your scalp happy and keep your lengths moisturised :D

Sunshineliz
December 6th, 2011, 06:31 AM

It could also be the specific conditioner you are using. I found the best one for me was Suave Clarifying. Anything else and I feel greasy fast. DD5 can use several different conditioners, a few different Suaves, V05s, etc. and have no problem. I use the same ones and I'm greasy. :shrug:

pressedflowers
December 6th, 2011, 07:47 AM
pressedflowers, do you rinse it off really well? probably you leave some residue that irritates.
Or it may be an individual reaction to some ingredients.

Hmm.... That could be it, I suppose - it's worth a try!

PriscillaCherel
December 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I tried CO Washing today for the first time! Wow.. My scalp isn't irritating at all anymore and it's not itchy :) After my CO I did a Leave-in.. My scalp is really beter! But omg.. my hair isn't prepared for this I think.. but this was the first time so I have to do it at least 2 weeks before i can give my comment!:)

PriscillaCherel
December 9th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Woww! I am amazed:| It's not even dry yet... Got a twist bun on my head for like 5 minutes.. then did it off en look.. :O (No cones, no Sulfates used).. My hair loves this??

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9127&pictureid=120760

CrunchyMama
December 9th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I just wanted to say that I tried CO for the first time on Wednesday morning, and my scalp and roots still don't feel oily!! It's amazing, they're usually noticeably oily by the 3rd day. I'm super impressed! This will definitely be a huge part of my winter haircare routine!

anikadear
December 9th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Hello everyone. I'm really new to LHC and CO....I've posted some pics below...my hair is poofy, dry, coarse, and I want it to LAY DOWN for pete sake! I look like a poodle or maybe Don King...I was wondering if CO would be the way for me to go? I was previously using shampoo with sulfates, but immediately stopped that a few days ago, and bought some V05 conditioner today...Moisture Milk I believe...anyway, I think I'll try CO tonight before bed and see what that brings. I'm just tired of looking like a brown poodle with super dry hair. Also, I have BSL when straight but of course you can't tell when it's curly :roll eyes:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/chanika22/IMAG0419.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/chanika22/IMAG0420.jpg

Mountaingrrl
December 10th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Hello everyone. I'm really new to LHC and CO....I've posted some pics below...my hair is poofy, dry, coarse, and I want it to LAY DOWN for pete sake! I look like a poodle or maybe Don King...I was wondering if CO would be the way for me to go? I was previously using shampoo with sulfates, but immediately stopped that a few days ago, and bought some V05 conditioner today...Moisture Milk I believe...anyway, I think I'll try CO tonight before bed and see what that brings. I'm just tired of looking like a brown poodle with super dry hair. Also, I have BSL when straight but of course you can't tell when it's curly :roll eyes:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/chanika22/IMAG0419.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/chanika22/IMAG0420.jpg

Your hair texture looks pretty similar to mine, and CO washing has been great for me, so I think you'll get similar results. You'll probably want to follow up that CO washing with a heavier conditioner, especially in winter. The V05 Moisture Milk should be good for the washing part unless your hair doesn't like too much protein. Definitely give the routine some time to work for awhile, and adjust as needed.

mneh
December 10th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Woww! I am amazed:| It's not even dry yet... Got a twist bun on my head for like 5 minutes.. then did it off en look.. :O (No cones, no Sulfates used).. My hair loves this??

Your hair is looking very happy after CO-washing :)

I think your hair looks nicer than you think :) However, I too have coarse hair and it had a tendency to be big and fuzzy so I understand your frustration with it. My hair is much more defined, feels less coarse, and is much more moisturised since I gave up sulphate shampoos. CO-washing didn't work well for my scalp but it did benefit my hair, so it should do great things for your hair too. I can also recommend the CURLS range of products as being good for my coarse hair so they might help yours too:

www.curls.biz/curly-hair-products/curly-hair-products-curly-q-for-kids.html

I buy the children's range of products because it's just as good as the range for adults but it's a little less expensive ;)

anikadear
December 10th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Hey thanks ladies. I'll look up the site also! What heavier conditioner should I use? I have cream of nature conditioner but Im seeing it has sulfates and cones! Yuck.

I believe I CAN have pretty hair because people tell me all the time but I guess all I see is the frizz. Before finding LHC, I didn't realize how bad the shampoos and supposed conditioners were! I'm so glad to have found this place:)

mneh
December 10th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Hey thanks ladies. I'll look up the site also! What heavier conditioner should I use? I have cream of nature conditioner but Im seeing it has sulfates and cones! Yuck.

I believe I CAN have pretty hair because people tell me all the time but I guess all I see is the frizz. Before finding LHC, I didn't realize how bad the shampoos and supposed conditioners were! I'm so glad to have found this place:)

You're welcome :) I'm afraid I don't know much about what products are easily available in the USA but (thinking about what you may have in your kitchen) you could try adding honey (or pure aloe vera gel/juice or coconut oil) to the CO-wash conditioner you already have and that might keep you ticking over until you get some recommendations/buy a heavier conditioner.

anikadear
December 10th, 2011, 07:29 AM
You're welcome :) I'm afraid I don't know much about what products are easily available in the USA but (thinking about what you may have in your kitchen) you could try adding honey (or pure aloe vera gel/juice or coconut oil) to the CO-wash conditioner you already have and that might keep you ticking over until you get some recommendations/buy a heavier conditioner.

I have all three of those on hand haha. If I'm adding aloe, should I just pour some of my conditioner into something separate and add the aloe to that (I'm asking because I have a full bottle of the conditioner).

Also, what are parabens? I've read they are also bad for hair? I have a deep conditioner that doesn't have any sulfates, or cones but it has parabens :confused:

Sorry for all the questions! I've done a lot of reading on this site but I like to also ask others to be sure I'm getting correct information :o