PDA

View Full Version : The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

MidnightStar
August 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Conditioner usually works better to remove oil than shampoo and for sure works better than a shampoo bar. I think you are freaking your hair out by doing too much stuff to it at once. If/when I oil (I usually don't unless it is a castor oil massage on my scalp only and my hair always acts up for a couple of days), I use VO5 clarifying conditioner to get it out. That's it. I do the castor massage and let it sit for an hour and then put the conditioner in my hair to start working the oil out. Then I rinse in fairly warm water for several minutes. I use the VO5 again and do a COwash, then use my regular conditioner on my length only. Works every time. I only COwash now and I am completely cone-free--and my fine hair has never been happier or prettier. It's also growing and seems healthier than ever because it isn't breaking off.

Also, you may just be like me and your hair just may hate oil. My hair even hates the castor but I do it anyway because I want to see if it will help fill in the top of my head a little bit. Aside of that, I can't use oil, period. I do sometimes use Nightblooming's Panacea which contains oil, but I use less than half a pea size--rubbed into my hands first--on my ends just to make them look nice. But overall I can't use oil, my hair just really doesn't like it.

You may also not be shedding like you think you are, you just may be noticing it more because you are paying closer attention to what you are doing. I wouldn't worry about the shedding unless you are noticing significant thinning. But keep in mind that your hair will also feel thinner once you go completely CO-only. It really isn't thinner, but since the cuticle is laying flatter and prettier it can feel a little thinner.

americanjan1, do you mind if I ask whether you ever have a problem with volume/body at your scalp? Your hair is similar to mine, and I'm experimenting with co-washing because I can't seem to find a shampoo that works for me. I used to co-wash, and I quit because it just made my hair look so limp and body-less. Just curious if you (or anybody else!) has had this issue and what they did to combat it. :)

americanjan1
August 18th, 2011, 06:21 PM
americanjan1, do you mind if I ask whether you ever have a problem with volume/body at your scalp? Your hair is similar to mine, and I'm experimenting with co-washing because I can't seem to find a shampoo that works for me. I used to co-wash, and I quit because it just made my hair look so limp and body-less. Just curious if you (or anybody else!) has had this issue and what they did to combat it. :)

I did at first but I don't anymore. I was determined to make this work for me so I just dealt with it until it quit acting up, which was about two weeks. I also rinse REALLY good. Some people like to leave a little in but my hair likes to be rinsed clean, like for a couple of minutes at least. I also do a final rinse of cooler water for about 10 seconds. I had trial & error with finding a conditioner that my hair liked but after I did, it was smooth sailing. My hair likes Suave Mango Mandarin. I can dilute it and cowash and then use it on my length as well. That's generally what I do. I find that my hair is so happy with this that I don't have to use anything else. I don't need oils (my hair doesn't care for them) and I don't need deep treatments anymore, either (which I like doing). I am cone-free as well and find that I don't miss them and my hair actually likes not having them. Anything with cones makes my hair greasy-looking and lack volume. I think the key with fine hair is rinsing very well. I hope you find something that works for you! It is seriously the best thing I have ever done for my hair. And, I color my hair and I still don't have problems.

mallorykay13
August 18th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I went for it and I LOVE IT.

Theobroma
August 19th, 2011, 03:48 AM
I just would rather not sleep with gel in my hair, even if it's only AVG, and I don't want the wet look. Am I missing some of AVG's benefits by not applying it when my hair is still wet? Is the frizz a sign that I'm not CO washing properly or is this just something I'll have to deal with?

I still get some frizz after over a year of CO washing; I think that with a curly texture it's just inevitable. My "frizz" is essentially baby hairs that aren't yet long enough to go into a coherent curl with their longer neighbours; it's probably unrealistic to expect them to behave like 1a hair just because they're still short! But the frizz is easy to tame down in between washes by running damp hands over my canopy and then following up with a little extra AVG.

As for the wet look, I find that I don't get it from AVG if I run a fine-toothed comb over my canopy after it's all dry. But I don't use straight AVG, I mix it with a little coconut oil -- both for extra conditioning and because that prevents the AVG from forming a stiff gel cast on my hair. I might not mind that if my hair were shorter, I think, but stiff curls down to almost to hip length don't make for a very nice feeling, and in any case I do want some coconut oil on my length as a leave-in.

Roscata
August 19th, 2011, 11:41 AM

I tried a different conditioner and I diluted it with water (the one that goes on my scalp), then my hair started behaving better. I did clarify my hair before trying the new conditioner because the old one made my hair feel weird and I wanted to remove build-up. I hope that helps. :D

MidnightStar
August 19th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I did at first but I don't anymore. I was determined to make this work for me so I just dealt with it until it quit acting up, which was about two weeks. I also rinse REALLY good. Some people like to leave a little in but my hair likes to be rinsed clean, like for a couple of minutes at least. I also do a final rinse of cooler water for about 10 seconds. I had trial & error with finding a conditioner that my hair liked but after I did, it was smooth sailing. My hair likes Suave Mango Mandarin. I can dilute it and cowash and then use it on my length as well. That's generally what I do. I find that my hair is so happy with this that I don't have to use anything else. I don't need oils (my hair doesn't care for them) and I don't need deep treatments anymore, either (which I like doing). I am cone-free as well and find that I don't miss them and my hair actually likes not having them. Anything with cones makes my hair greasy-looking and lack volume. I think the key with fine hair is rinsing very well. I hope you find something that works for you! It is seriously the best thing I have ever done for my hair. And, I color my hair and I still don't have problems.

Thanks for the reply! So far I've been making sure to rinse really well, so I'm hoping that was my problem originally. And this morning when I took my hair down from my sleep bun, I was amazed to see some spiral curlies!! So hopefully volume won't be an issue for me this time around. :cheese:

MidnightStar
August 19th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I tried a different conditioner and I diluted it with water (the one that goes on my scalp), then my hair started behaving better. I did clarify my hair before trying the new conditioner because the old one made my hair feel weird and I wanted to remove build-up. I hope that helps. :D

Sorry to double-post, but wanted to say thanks as well - I didn't see your answer till I'd already posted. :D

Roscata
August 19th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Sorry to double-post, but wanted to say thanks as well - I didn't see your answer till I'd already posted. :D

You're welcome! :D

Rusticular
August 20th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Decided it was high-time I tried my hand at CO washing, and this is my second day in. I picked up some V05 Rosemary and Mint cone-free conditioner, and I have to say I'm so surprised my hair isn't oily yet. Usually it'd be ridiculous by now! My ends are still a little dry, but I'll give it some time to really 'sink in' so to speak. The rest of it feels so soft, I'm getting excited, haha. Definitely glad I started!

Revontuletar
August 20th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I just thought that I would add here that yesterday I went and bought a spray bottle and mixed some of my conditioner with water and sprayed it on my scalp (previously I had been going through heaps of conditioner trying to get it all over my scalp) and it works WONDERS! I am so happy! Thanks to whoever it was here that gave me that tip!

gazelle
August 20th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Hi friends. I've finished my conditioner and got a new one. It is said not tested on animals so I've bought it. Could you take a look at the ingredients, are there anything wrong with using it as a washing conditioner?

Aqua, cetremonium chloride, cethyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, polysorbate60, avocado,peach,kiwi, papaya, passionfruit, mango, kukui, provit b5, ascorbic acid, tocopheryl acetat, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, benzophenone 4, glycerin, parfum, metylchloroisothiazolinone, methyisotiazolinone, EDTA, citric acid

RitaPG
August 20th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Hi friends. I've finished my conditioner and got a new one. It is said not tested on animals so I've bought it. Could you take a look at the ingredients, are there anything wrong with using it as a washing conditioner?

Aqua, cetremonium chloride, cethyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, polysorbate60, avocado,peach,kiwi, papaya, passionfruit, mango, kukui, provit b5, ascorbic acid, tocopheryl acetat, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, benzophenone 4, glycerin, parfum, metylchloroisothiazolinone, methyisotiazolinone, EDTA, citric acid
You can check for ingredients in this website http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products
Hope that helps.

gazelle
August 20th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Oh thank you RitaPG, what a quick answer! I will check

Linika
August 20th, 2011, 11:15 AM

If the ingredients in bold letters are oils, it might be a bit heavy for the washing part of CO. I've read that lighter condishioners are better for washing and that a lot of oil in the conditioner is a sign that it's a heavy condishoner. Though it all comes down to your own hair in the end.

You've already bought the condish, so if I were you I'd try to wash with it, and see what results you get. There's a lot of experimentation going on around here :)

There is also no cones or mineral oils that I can see, so it shouldn't cause build up :D

boomtownrat
August 20th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I still get some frizz after over a year of CO washing; I think that with a curly texture it's just inevitable. My "frizz" is essentially baby hairs that aren't yet long enough to go into a coherent curl with their longer neighbours; it's probably unrealistic to expect them to behave like 1a hair just because they're still short! But the frizz is easy to tame down in between washes by running damp hands over my canopy and then following up with a little extra AVG.

As for the wet look, I find that I don't get it from AVG if I run a fine-toothed comb over my canopy after it's all dry. But I don't use straight AVG, I mix it with a little coconut oil -- both for extra conditioning and because that prevents the AVG from forming a stiff gel cast on my hair. I might not mind that if my hair were shorter, I think, but stiff curls down to almost to hip length don't make for a very nice feeling, and in any case I do want some coconut oil on my length as a leave-in.

Well, I'd considered that instead of frizz it might just be that some of the hairs on my canopy are tightly coiled, but the result is still that it looks bad. It usually calms down once it's dry, so I guess it might not be frizz after all.

I don't use a comb or brush on my hair because I like a slightly "messy" look to my waves, but when I get a chance I'll try the mix of AVG and coconut oil on my hair and I'll just finger-comb it like I normally do. Thanks, Theobroma!

RitaPG
August 20th, 2011, 11:49 AM
If the ingredients in bold letters are oils, it might be a bit heavy for the washing part of CO. I've read that lighter condishioners are better for washing and that a lot of oil in the conditioner is a sign that it's a heavy condishoner. Though it all comes down to your own hair in the end.

True, in general it's advised to use a lighter condish for scalp washes, but it depends on the hair tpe. I wash my hair with thick, creamy conditioners full of oils and my hair does just fine ^^'

Linika
August 20th, 2011, 02:11 PM
True, in general it's advised to use a lighter condish for scalp washes, but it depends on the hair tpe. I wash my hair with thick, creamy conditioners full of oils and my hair does just fine ^^'

I think it's very interesting seeing what works for who :) I've just started out, and found a conditioner that worked very well at my very first try (am I not lucky? :P) so I have not experimented much, but I probably will in time. I really want to know how heavy a conditioner my hair can stand. I'd love to get as much moisture as possible into the hair :)

At the moment I'm using TRESemme Naturals. It's neither runny nor thick. It contains some oils as the middle or so ingredients, but also some drying alcohols :/ I don't really know what to classify it as.

I wonder if one can use deep conditioners for washing. Has anyone tried that?

patienceneeded
August 20th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I think it's very interesting seeing what works for who :) I've just started out, and found a conditioner that worked very well at my very first try (am I not lucky? :P) so I have not experimented much, but I probably will in time. I really want to know how heavy a conditioner my hair can stand. I'd love to get as much moisture as possible into the hair :)

At the moment I'm using TRESemme Naturals. It's neither runny nor thick. It contains some oils as the middle or so ingredients, but also some drying alcohols :/ I don't really know what to classify it as.

I wonder if one can use deep conditioners for washing. Has anyone tried that?

When it comes to CO washing and conditioner choices, it seems everyone is different. I like the TRESemme Naturals myself, and I use it as my washing conditioner and follow that with a heavier conditioner on my length only. However, I know plenty of people here find the exact same conditioner too heavy for their washing conditioner, or simply too heavy to use at all. One thing I have learned here is there is no one way to care for your hair and what works for person A, may not work at all for person B.

Oh, and I *think* that the alcohols in the conditioners are the non-drying kind. There are fatty alcohols used in conditioners, so don't worry about them.

Linika
August 20th, 2011, 02:51 PM
When it comes to CO washing and conditioner choices, it seems everyone is different. I like the TRESemme Naturals myself, and I use it as my washing conditioner and follow that with a heavier conditioner on my length only. However, I know plenty of people here find the exact same conditioner too heavy for their washing conditioner, or simply too heavy to use at all. One thing I have learned here is there is no one way to care for your hair and what works for person A, may not work at all for person B.

Oh, and I *think* that the alcohols in the conditioners are the non-drying kind. There are fatty alcohols used in conditioners, so don't worry about them.

I really LOVE to wash my hair with it! My hair is cleaner than it has ever been with poo, and it's fluffy and soft and sleek at the same time :D

I don't have a heavier conditioner for my lenghts right now, but I'm thinking of starting with that. The ends are slightly dry, although still very soft.

If there's one thing I, too, have learnt from reading through almost half of this thread, it's that everyones hair reacts in a different way!

When it comes to the alcohols in TRESemme Naturals, the first two,cetyl- and stearyl alcohol, are fatty ones. However at the very end of the ingredients list there's etyl-, isopropyl- and benzyl alcohol. Etyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol are drying. I am unsure about benzyl alcohol though.

I hope that the etyl- and isopropyl alcohol are in so small amouts that it doesn't really matter, but I do think my ends could benefit from a more moisturising second conditioner :)

gazelle
August 20th, 2011, 03:23 PM

You've already bought the condish, so if I were you I'd try to wash with it, and see what results you get. There's a lot of experimentation going on around here :)

There is also no cones or mineral oils that I can see, so it shouldn't cause build up :D
Yes Linika, its heavy. They might be oils or fruit extracts, I don't know but still lots of ingredients. I think to dilute while using it now

Linika
August 20th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Yes Linika, its heavy. They might be oils or fruit extracts, I don't know but still lots of ingredients. I think to dilute while using it now

Diluting is a good idea! and it certainly won't hurt to try :)

MidnightStar
August 21st, 2011, 09:58 AM
All right, I'm not even a week into this co-washing experiment and I'm already pretty happy with it. :D I've been using Suave natural pomegranate splash, both on the scalp and length. I've also experimented with Giovanni tea tree, because I already had it. I like that one, too, but it's a "treat" as the stuff is pretty pricey to use as a co-wash. The Aubrey Organics honeysuckle and rose I was using only on the length, but it's still pretty thick so I think that one I'll use only if I need to clarify.
Results: my hair is adjusting nicely, probably because I've already been sulfate-free for several months now. My scalp is happier than it's been in AGES - no more itchies!! And, best of all, my waves are coming back and I don't feel like I'm "cheating" calling myself a 2a. The only downsides are that I do need to wash every day, but hopefully that will change once my hair adjusts more, and I have noticed a small loss in "volume" if that makes sense - my buns seem a little smaller, and some of my hairsticks don't hold like they used to. Again, I'm hoping this is just a side effect of getting used to co-washing.
Someone, either on this thread or in another one, said that when she rinses out her washing conditioner she sings "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and rinses till she's done. I wish I remembered who it was because that is excellent advice!
I also did an oil treatment on my scalp last night, and was a little worried the conditioner wouldn't take it all out - but my hair's almost dry and there's no trace of oil. So I think I'll be on this routine for awhile. :cheese:

TrudieCat
August 21st, 2011, 10:26 AM
Someone, either on this thread or in another one, said that when she rinses out her washing conditioner she sings "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and rinses till she's done. I wish I remembered who it was because that is excellent advice!

Whaaaaaaa??? You mean like, all the way through, or just the last verse with all 12 things (but no building up to that verse with 11 other verses)? I'm assuming you mean just the last verse, right?

Cassie 123
August 21st, 2011, 10:55 AM
I've joined the CO bandwagon. I've been doing it for several weeks now and my scalp and hair are utterly happy. I'm using New Directions Aromatics Conditioner Base Ultra Premium. I'm still tinkering with dilutions and additions; so far I think I prefer starting with a heavy oiling and then using an SMT mixture to CO wash, leaving it on for half an hour before rinsing. I used to have hugely frizzy hair, but COing has smoothed down the cuticles a lot.

The only downside is that my ponytail circumference is considerably reduced, from 4.1" down to 3.5"! But I have not been losing more hair than usual (a little less than usual, actually), and the hair looks and feels better, and not lank or oily at all. I think the cuticles are just in a dramatically smoother state with this routine.

MidnightStar
August 21st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Whaaaaaaa??? You mean like, all the way through, or just the last verse with all 12 things (but no building up to that verse with 11 other verses)? I'm assuming you mean just the last verse, right?

I can't remember how she does it, but I go through every verse in my head. About halfway through it seems pretty rinsed out. Mainly I've been doing it like that to remind myself I need to rinse better than I used to have to with shampoo.

LoversLullaby
August 21st, 2011, 11:16 AM
I've been CO washing for awhile now with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition with great success. I know a lot of people find it doesn't clean as well as lighter conditioners, but my hair is easily dried out and cheaper, lightweight conditioners totally dry out my hair. GFTN is the perfect balance between cleansing and conditioning. I can even heavily oil and it gets it out perfectly! I do a vinegar rinse after washing and use GVP conditioning balm as a leave in. Perfect routine :)

boomtownrat
August 21st, 2011, 11:36 AM
After several weeks of CO washing, my hair seems just as big as ever. Maybe it's because it's still not even shoulder length yet, or maybe it's just that the waves are giving it all that volume. I can't remember with complete certainty, but I think when I first did CO about a year and a half ago, when my hair was collarbone length, I never lost any apparent volume. (I should note that I didn't measure ponytail circumference; I'm just talking about how it looks.) It does seem like I'm shedding a LOT of hair every day when I wash it (my scalp still demands a daily wash unless I want to itch unbearably), but I guess as long as I still don't notice any thinning I won't worry. :confused:

CurlAhead
August 21st, 2011, 02:22 PM
I asked in the monsitat-thread, but I'm gonna ask here as well: Is there anyone who is using the Co-routine and using Daktar at the same time (Daktar contains paraffin)??? Anyone? I don't want to give up the CO-method, but I want to have longer hair. Tough choice :p :D

Linika
August 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM
I asked in the monsitat-thread, but I'm gonna ask here as well: Is there anyone who is using the Co-routine and using Daktar at the same time (Daktar contains paraffin)??? Anyone? I don't want to give up the CO-method, but I want to have longer hair. Tough choice :p :D

I don't use it, though paraffin is a mineral oil, so it won't wash out with CO. It will probably cause buildup.

However, you could use the Daktar and clarify when you notice build up. I don't see why you would have to give up CO completely ^^

CurlAhead
August 22nd, 2011, 12:32 AM
I don't use it, though paraffin is a mineral oil, so it won't wash out with CO. It will probably cause buildup.

However, you could use the Daktar and clarify when you notice build up. I don't see why you would have to give up CO completely ^^

Thank you. I thought mineral oil caused build up immediately, but I will try continuing using the CO and then clarify when needed (hopefully not too often)! :D

Linika
August 22nd, 2011, 02:24 AM
Thank you. I thought mineral oil caused build up immediately, but I will try continuing using the CO and then clarify when needed (hopefully not too often)! :D

It will cover the hair emmediately, but it might not be noticeable at first. So clarifying often whould probably be reccomended. The mineral oil will sitt there like a barrier and keep everything good out of the hair otherwise :P

Are you giong to use the Daktar over a really long period of time?

LoveMyLongHair
August 22nd, 2011, 02:50 AM
What in the world? My post disappeared!! *grrr * okay....*raises hand* I CO wash and do monistat, with no problems. Is monistat formulated differently than Daktarin? :confused:

Linika
August 22nd, 2011, 05:25 AM
What in the world? My post disappeared!! *grrr * okay....*raises hand* I CO wash and do monistat, with no problems. Is monistat formulated differently than Daktarin? :confused:

That's good to know! Hopefully CurlAhead won't have any problems either :)

Does the monistat contain paraffin? That's the ingredient in Daktarin that we worry abit about ^^

sharicat
August 22nd, 2011, 02:15 PM

I'm currently doing both. I do get a little bit of residue after washing but I thought that was due to the conditioner I'm using - just realised it has mineral oil in it! :justy:

I clarified last night with some non-SLS shampoo diluted, and just did a scalp wash before doing a CO (with the same conditioner) and my hair came out the best it's ever felt. So not sure what causes the residue, the daktarin or conditioner!

I need to do a wash without daktarin and see how it comes out.

autumn leaves
August 23rd, 2011, 10:45 AM
I do some CO in between using CV/SCH shampoo bars. Can anyone recommend a cone free conditioner that enhances curls?

Joribear
August 23rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
I do some CO in between using CV/SCH shampoo bars. Can anyone recommend a cone free conditioner that enhances curls?

I get good curl definition/enhancement whenever I use Garnier Triple Nutrition.

Sunshineliz
August 23rd, 2011, 11:28 AM

And I get the opposite.:p It's too heavy for me to use on anything but the very ends. (Of course I'm still working out a good routine.) Funny how we're all different.

Joribear
August 23rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
And I get the opposite.:p It's too heavy for me to use on anything but the very ends. (Of course I'm still working out a good routine.) Funny how we're all different.

It's too heavy for me to use a leave-in, but it works great when I dilute it a bit. Have you tried that?

And you're right - it is funny how each head of hair is so different!! :D

faithsdaisy421
August 23rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
This was me! Sorry I have been AWOL guys, my computer at home has decided to go on an extra long vacation so I have to squeeze my LHC time whenever I can.

Anyway, I do all 12 Days. I tried doing a shortcut of it recently (I believe I started 8), and my hair did NOT like it!

All 12 Days may be to much for some people, my hair just happens to like it. You could play around with the timing and see what your hair like. If anything, it is an easy way to remember how much rinsing you need to do!

WickedLady
August 23rd, 2011, 03:48 PM

Monistat? isnt that a female *you know what* medication?

faithsdaisy421
August 23rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
Yes it is :)

RitaPG
August 23rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
It is, Miconazole Nitrate has anti fungal properties that help kill fungus that inhibit growth. It's also a common ingredient used in anti dandruff shampoos and foot infection creams. Faster hair growth is the weird (but awesome) side effect of it, and lots of people here on LHC have tried it and report great success.

WickedLady
August 23rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Yes it is :)

How do you use it on your hair? and what is it suppose to do? *confused look on face*

Cassie 123
August 23rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
How do you use it on your hair? and what is it suppose to do? *confused look on face*

All the info can be found here: http://http://suicidesevemonistat.blogspot.com/ (http://suicidesevemonistat.blogspot.com/)

Sunshineliz
August 23rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
It's too heavy for me to use a leave-in, but it works great when I dilute it a bit. Have you tried that?

And you're right - it is funny how each head of hair is so different!! :D

I just tried it as my second conditioner again and partially diluted, but I also clarified today. I keep getting paranoid when I swim that I won't get the chlorine out without a shampoo. I guess I kinda CWC'd? I used the shampoo on the scalp, just a little on the length, added Suave clarifying conditioner to the scalp and length, rinsed, then used GTN undiluted on the ends, then diluted a little and used it on the rest. I rinsed really well, (well I got to the 5th verse of 12 days of christmas anyway;)) and we'll see. Right now it feels pretty good, but I'm still damp. I tend toward the lank and greasy look if I'm not really careful with the conditioners--but I've also had once where I looked oily by the scalp and had dry ends.:confused: Hopefully I won't look all greasy tomorrow.

boomtownrat
August 23rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
Using a spray bottle to make a mixture of roughly half conditioner and half water has made CO washing SO much easier and, I think, more effective! No more squeezing out the conditioner and dribbling water into it, doing it just one handful at a time! (Never let it be said that I take the easy route in anything I do, heh.) I finally remembered to buy another spray bottle and it's made all the difference.

autumn leaves
August 24th, 2011, 07:48 AM

Thanks, Joribear! :)

:D I guess I'll just have to experiment and see what happens!

swetiepeti
August 24th, 2011, 08:55 AM
So, does anyone have a list of hotel conditioners that work well? I've been taking my Sauve and VO5 on the road with me in little bottles, even took a bit of GF L & S for the ends along with a premixed SMT and a small half ounce bottle of Argan/Jojoba mix. But dh is grumbling about the amount of space I'm consuming on trips. I have to CO wash my hair every other day and it takes a large handful to work well and so am sucking up a quart bag of space in his checked luggage. If we stayed at just one place I'd just grab a bottle of sauve, but when I join him for a work trip we hop from place to place

jenwexler
August 26th, 2011, 02:48 PM
So one of the products I use for C/O is Wen and it turns out it has cones. I decided not to use it on my scalp but on my length with a moisturizing shampoo, and while I don't have build up on my scalp from it, my hair has become extremely dry!!! Is this from Wen or C/O in general? What should I do???

RitaPG
August 26th, 2011, 02:54 PM
So one of the products I use for C/O is Wen and it turns out it has cones. I decided not to use it on my scalp but on my length with a moisturizing shampoo, and while I don't have build up on my scalp from it, my hair has become extremely dry!!! Is this from Wen or C/O in general? What should I do???
Does your hair respond badly to cones to begin with? There is nothing wrong with silicone conditioners, a lot of people here use coney conditioners.
Did you use shampoo on the length? That could be the reason why your hair is feling dry. Put a drop or two of oil on your ends and it should be fine :)

Sahar24
August 26th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Hello lovely people - this is the thread that made we want to join the LHC and I just wanted to add to the info and say how I've been getting on CO washing.
I've been doing it for a month now- I only wash my hair twice a week and haven't had to up the frequency as I haven't had any build up or oiliness.
I wash with Naked Bodycare conditioner for sensitive scalp (SLS/Paraben/Cone free and 97% natural) - leave it on for 10mins or so.
I then condition with another conditioner of the same brand - something a little heavier as I have really coarse, thick hair.
When wet, I rub a teensy teensy bit of leave-in conditioner (again same brand) on the bottom 2-3 inches.
Here's what I've noticed:
Hair is:
-more tangled when wet, but am being soooo patient with it
-hair taking much longer to dry (it is THICK)
-much softer when dry
-so much shinier (I can't believe it's my hair!)
-ends not so parched and fluffy looking
-itchy scalp is long gone (best effect by a long way!)
-improved colour depth
I'm really pleased with the results - just can't believe it's taken me this long to find out about this!
Thank you all so much - am loving learning all these great things and starting to love and appreciate my hair for what it actually is (thick, wavy-ish, a little unruly)!

jenwexler
August 26th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I didn't use shampoo on the length and my hair always seems to be frizzy whenever it has cones. The more cones, the more frizz. I tried to see if I could handle a small amount but apparently not. I've been oiling but no luck. The top of my hair feels so nice bu my ends really feel it. BTW my ends are processed. I died my hair black a while back and I have about an inch or two of black left. That's where a lot of the dryness is.

RitaPG
August 26th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I didn't use shampoo on the length and my hair always seems to be frizzy whenever it has cones. The more cones, the more frizz. I tried to see if I could handle a small amount but apparently not. I've been oiling but no luck. The top of my hair feels so nice bu my ends really feel it. BTW my ends are processed. I died my hair black a while back and I have about an inch or two of black left. That's where a lot of the dryness is.
If your hair doesn't cooperate with it there's realy nothing you can do but stop using it and go back to cone free products

jenwexler
August 26th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Yea I'll have to try C/O without the Wen. I wanted the wen to help keep the shine in my hair. I hope honey and peppermint oil will do the trick.

insomniac-uk
August 26th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Is it ok to use a conditoner with cones to CO? My sister just brought me a few botttles of expensive conditioner for my birthday, I don't want to waste it.

RitaPG
August 26th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Is it ok to use a conditoner with cones to CO? My sister just brought me a few botttles of expensive conditioner for my birthday, I don't want to waste it.
Yes, it's fine.
If eventually your scalp feels weird with cones, you can just use a cone free on the scalp and use the coney conditioner on the length. That way none of it goes to waste.

GRU
August 26th, 2011, 06:39 PM

You may just need to wash with shampoo every now and then, if you have issues with silicone build-up. Basically, if your hair starts to misbehave, give it a shampoo and then go back to CO-washing again!

insomniac-uk
August 26th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Thank you so much :)

celebriangel
August 27th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I'm stil co, and still doing well. I've found, though, that my hair feels best if I use a very moisturising conditioner everywhere except directly on the scalp. If I wash the length first with a "cleansing" conditioner it's a little more squeaky clean than I would like.

It looks like my hair just doesn't like that much cleaning power - which makes sense as I've recently discovered that my hair feel best if it always has oil in it.

I'm also puzzled that some people don't feel their hair gets clean with CO - I slayher my hair in EVOO before each wash till it's literally dripping, and CO washes it out beautifully.

Theobroma
August 27th, 2011, 05:35 AM
I'm also puzzled that some people don't feel their hair gets clean with CO - I slayher my hair in EVOO before each wash till it's literally dripping, and CO washes it out beautifully.

How long do you let the conditioner sit to get that much oil out? I put extra oil on my hair before CO washing as well, but not to the extent that it's dripping. In general I use my condish exactly the way I used to use shampoo, i.e. not letting it sit at all, but I'm thinking I might have to change my approach if I needed to get really large quantities of oil out!

Sunshineliz
August 27th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Well after my sorta CWC with Suave conditioner and diluted GFTN my hair felt pretty good, but kind of dry near the scalp and the very ends.:confused: I did a regular CO wash the next day with the Suave as the cleansing and GFTN, diluted, as a second. Lankness and looking greasy. Washed last night CO with Suave as a cleanser AND as the second one--so far feels good! I guess my hair just doesn't take heavier conditioner well. I think I'll keep on with the Suave clarifying conditioner and maybe also try the coconut one as the second conditioner.

The annoying thing about the Suave clarifying so far, is that it is harder to detangle than with GFTN. Not that I can't, but I have to start lower and more carefully, and with the GFTN I could start anywhere and rake my fingers through more quickly without any problems.

boomtownrat
August 27th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Did Suave change the fragrance in the coconut conditioner? I have a bottle that I bought sometime last year and it's just been sitting there unused because I couldn't take the smell. It was like that from the moment I brought it home from the store, so it's not that it's gone bad or anything. My previous bottle of the same conditioner smelled delicious. I love the smell of coconut, but this bottle of conditioner doesn't smell even remotely like it.

RitaPG
August 27th, 2011, 08:16 AM
*snipped*
It looks like my hair just doesn't like that much cleaning power - which makes sense as I've recently discovered that my hair feel best if it always has oil in it.
I feel the exact same thing about my hair, it just feels best whith some moisture in it.
I also use large amounts of oil before washing and CO-washing makes it shiny and fluffy :inlove:

GRU
August 27th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Did Suave change the fragrance in the coconut conditioner? I have a bottle that I bought sometime last year and it's just been sitting there unused because I couldn't take the smell. It was like that from the moment I brought it home from the store, so it's not that it's gone bad or anything. My previous bottle of the same conditioner smelled delicious. I love the smell of coconut, but this bottle of conditioner doesn't smell even remotely like it.

I thought it was just me, boomtownrat -- it's almost a "chemical" smell to me now, instead of the coconut smell it had before. But it's allergy season and my schnoz is all screwed up, so I thought I just wasn't smelling it right. Is that how yours smells, too, all "chemically"?

RitaPG
August 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I thought it was just me, boomtownrat -- it's almost a "chemical" smell to me now, instead of the coconut smell it had before. But it's allergy season and my schnoz is all screwed up, so I thought I just wasn't smelling it right. Is that how yours smells, too, all "chemically"?
It could be seasons change. You know, like when in summer you wear fresh, fruity perfumes and in winter you'd prefer something warmer, woodsey or sweet? I think our sensitivity to smells changes with the seasons too, I have specific conditioners for both.

autumn leaves
August 27th, 2011, 09:47 AM
What's the difference between a "cleansing" conditioner and a 'normal' conditioner? I'm confused :confused:

Kasper1014
August 27th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Hi! I'm new here.

I have VERY fine/thin/straight/oily hair. The worse combination. :p

I was first introduced to CO washing when my friend gave me a bottle of WEN to try about 3 months ago. I politely tried it. And noticed my hair was not any thinner yet softer. But I couldn't justify paying the WEN price.

So I started searching for a cheaper alternative. I came across Sallys Beauty Salons Hair One, their version of Hair One. It was ok, but not as good as WEN.

My search ended here on CO washing. I bought every Suave Naturals and VO5 conditioner I could find. I love it!!!!!! The VO5 extra body conditioner is just perfect for my hair.

My hair is soooooo much thicker and fuller. I can even wear pony tails again. Previously, my pony tail would look like a rat tail. :eyebrows:

Even my hair dresser commented that my hair was thicker and healthier then normal, though she didn't like my answer. :o

I also notice that I shed less in the shower. :cheese:

I think I have noticed some waves also. I may have to change my hair type....though I'm still learning to type my hair. Lol

My next experiment, I'm going to try mixing honey with my conditioner.

Kasper1014
August 27th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I also wanted to add....when I used shampoo, I would get these little scabs on my scalp, that would bleed when I picked at them.

Since I've gone CO three months ago.....those scabby sores are gone!!! :)

GRU
August 27th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I also wanted to add....when I used shampoo, I would get these little scabs on my scalp, that would bleed when I picked at them.

Since I've gone CO three months ago.....those scabby sores are gone!!! :)

Probably seborrheic dermatitis -- mine has disappeared with CO-washing as well! :cheese:

Kasper1014
August 27th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I am sooooo sold on CO. I even got 5 friends on Facebook, 2 coworkers and my mom on the CO bandwagon. :cool:

boomtownrat
August 27th, 2011, 10:38 AM

Yeah, it's definitely a more chemical smell. There's no true coconut smell in it that I can detect, but sort of a coconut candy scent.

GRU
August 27th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I am sooooo sold on CO. I even got 5 friends on Facebook, 2 coworkers and my mom on the CO bandwagon. :cool:

And a junior enablinator is born! :cheese:

Yeah, it's definitely a more chemical smell. There's no true coconut smell in it that I can detect, but sort of a coconut candy scent.

Glad it's not just me... hopefully it was just a quirk of manufacturing and it will go back to its previous awesomeness in the next batch!

Kelikea
August 27th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I have an almost empty bottle of the suave coconut, which was purchased while a while ago and it smells good, so maybe it was a bad batch? I like that conditioner okay, especially the price, but my favorite is Desert Essence organics coconut conditioner. I love the ingredients and the fragrance. I CWC with a ACV rinse at the end 2-3x a week, and BS/ACV to clarify maybe once a month.

beccababesx
August 27th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Do any UK LHC-ers use the Alberto Balsami condishes? I bought four different ones and am trying them out - currently loving the coconut one! Some scents have cones though :/

McFearless
August 27th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Does anybody else find it hard not to recommend co washing in every thread? I just love it so much. :p

Linika
August 27th, 2011, 06:36 PM
So, this might be a stupid question, but oh well!

I have bangs that look dirty a lot quicker than the rest of my hair. When I used shampoo I would sometimes shampoo just my bangs the day before wash day if they looked bad to freshen up some. Now, my bangs are looking awful, but I don't want to wash until Monday. The rest of the hair could use a wash, but I really don't have the time tomorrow (or more correctly, later today :P)

So, does anyone have any experience with washing just bangs or small sections of hair with CO without ill aftereffects? I'd be happy to hear from others before I try, but I'll try it tomorrow anyway :P I really don't want to use shampoo any more o.o

GRU
August 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM
So, does anyone have any experience with washing just bangs or small sections of hair with CO without ill aftereffects? I'd be happy to hear from others before I try, but I'll try it tomorrow anyway :P I really don't want to use shampoo any more o.o

I fail to see how CO-washing could have any ill effects whatsoever, regardless of how much or how little hair gets washed?

Ashenputtel
August 27th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Yep, co is really not for me. I coed my cassia this afternoon and my hair is already greasy.

I have a curly friend who keeps fighting against her natural texture though. I'm sure she could benefit from coing.

SilverMcFly17
August 27th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Hello. I am new to CO. I've been doing it for a week now and I had to break down and 'poo. My hair actually felt dry and heavy. I've been making sure to rinse well and then rinse with ACV. Is this just a phase and it gets better?

GRU
August 27th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Hello. I am new to CO. I've been doing it for a week now and I had to break down and 'poo. My hair actually felt dry and heavy. I've been making sure to rinse well and then rinse with ACV. Is this just a phase and it gets better?

What conditioner and other products are you using?

Did you start with a clean head (shampoo) to begin with?

Also, Fine hair is more likely to hate COing than Medium or Coarse... it just doesn't take much at all to weigh down Fine hair.

nellreno
August 28th, 2011, 12:57 AM
The suave coconut has always smelled bad to me (maybe I just have a weird nose or something)

jenwexler
August 28th, 2011, 07:17 AM
The suave coconut has always smelled bad to me (maybe I just have a weird nose or something)

Eh I don't like it either and I'm usually a fan of coconut. I stick with my delicious smelling VO5 Kiwi Lime

Carolyn
August 28th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Eh I don't like it either and I'm usually a fan of coconut. I stick with my delicious smelling VO5 Kiwi LimeIsn't it funny how differently we all react to the same scents? I love kiwi and lime flavors to eat but the smell of KLS nauseates me.

kitschy
August 28th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I don't like the smell of any fruit in my hair. It's really difficult to find a conditioner that is CO worthy and doesn't smell like fruit.

boomtownrat
August 28th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Eh I don't like it either and I'm usually a fan of coconut. I stick with my delicious smelling VO5 Kiwi Lime

Like Carolyn, I love the taste of actual kiwi fruit, but I find the smell of Kiwi Lime Squeeze really off-putting. It's just as well, because that one doesn't work all that well for me.

VO5's Tea Therapy line, on the other hand, works beautifully for me and smells delicious to my nose. If only I could find it more easily in the stores I usually shop, I'd be using it now. Target doesn't carry VO5, so I'm going to make a special trip to Rite Aid one day soon.

Scarlet_Heart
August 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I don't like the smell of any fruit in my hair. It's really difficult to find a conditioner that is CO worthy and doesn't smell like fruit.

Suave makes really lovely floral-scented conditioners. They have lavander, cherry-blossom, and it's not floral but they have a "waterfall-scented" one that smells pretty good too.

LoversLullaby
August 28th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Suave makes really lovely floral-scented conditioners. They have lavander, cherry-blossom, and it's not floral but they have a "waterfall-scented" one that smells pretty good too.

There's also Ocean Breeze, which is my absolute favorite.

Annibelle
August 28th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Ocean Breeze smells nice, but for some reason, it's the ONLY Suave that I get respiratory problems with. Every time I smell it, my throat constricts. :( So maybe there's something in the scent that people who have these sensitivities should be especially careful of. The only Suave that has never given me any sort of allergy/breathing problem is the Coconut-- I think because it's more lightly scented than the others? Some of the scents are divine, though! :)

boomtownrat
August 28th, 2011, 02:01 PM
The last time I was in Target, I gave the smell test to several Suave conditioners. Two of them smelled identical to me - I believe they were Waterfall and Ocean Breeze - so to make sure it wasn't something wrong with me, I smelled the apple one. It smelled like it always does, so I don't know what was going on with the two that smelled identical.

sharicat
August 28th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Do any UK LHC-ers use the Alberto Balsami condishes? I bought four different ones and am trying them out - currently loving the coconut one! Some scents have cones though :/

I tried the strawberry one for COing but it's coney so it didn't work too well! Have you tried any that are con-free and good for CO?

MidnightStar
August 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
So far I'm happy with CO, and it gets my oil treatments out just fine (thus far). My favorite conditioner for CO is the Giovanni Tea Tree, but it's soooo expensive, I can't justify spending that much when I'd be going through a bottle a week, at least. Suave pomegranate splash works just fine, I like the smell, and costs less than $1.50/bottle at Wal-Mart, so that is what I've been using.
I think it's mainly the smell of the Giovanni I love so much...that minty scent really makes my hair feel "clean," you know? It's psychological I'm sure though! But...anybody got a cheaper alternative that smells similar that I could try? :)

Linika
August 28th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I fail to see how CO-washing could have any ill effects whatsoever, regardless of how much or how little hair gets washed?

I was worrying if the sourounding hair would get greasier than it already was, but not to worry, it didn't! This means stretching washes will be easier :)

BTW, could some wonderful soul out there explain the conditioner greasyness that most people I know (normal S&C users :P) are afraid of? I've never experienced it! (Except with one conitioner ever) I don't really understand how condish can make hair greasy o.O

TrudieCat
August 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I was worrying if the sourounding hair would get greasier than it already was, but not to worry, it didn't! This means stretching washes will be easier :)

BTW, could some wonderful soul out there explain the conditioner greasyness that most people I know (normal S&C users :P) are afraid of? I've never experienced it! (Except with one conitioner ever) I don't really understand how condish can make hair greasy o.O

My hair looks greasy more quickly with silicone conditioners. It doesn't seem like this is true for everyone, though. What I mean by greasy is, my roots just look sort of clumpy and damp and feel oily while the rest of my hair looks normal. Not the look I'm going for! :)

Sunshineliz
August 28th, 2011, 02:52 PM

I'm not sure why it happens, but so far heavier conditioners make me look greasy, just like trudiecat described.

RitaPG
August 28th, 2011, 02:57 PM
So far I'm happy with CO, and it gets my oil treatments out just fine (thus far). My favorite conditioner for CO is the Giovanni Tea Tree, but it's soooo expensive, I can't justify spending that much when I'd be going through a bottle a week, at least. Suave pomegranate splash works just fine, I like the smell, and costs less than $1.50/bottle at Wal-Mart, so that is what I've been using.
I think it's mainly the smell of the Giovanni I love so much...that minty scent really makes my hair feel "clean," you know? It's psychological I'm sure though! But...anybody got a cheaper alternative that smells similar that I could try? :)

I used to add a drop or two of peppermint essential oil to my shampoo, it was soo refreshing. I'm sure we could do the same with our conditioners.
How did I forget about that? :p

Linika
August 28th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Hey! Thanks for the super quick replies! I love this thread! :D

My hair looks greasy more quickly with silicone conditioners. It doesn't seem like this is true for everyone, though. What I mean by greasy is, my roots just look sort of clumpy and damp and feel oily while the rest of my hair looks normal. Not the look I'm going for! :)

My hair looked like that when I first started trying COing... but that was because I didn't use enough condish and didn't let it sit... so I think my case was just not getting the oil from my dirty hair out and instead spreading it around.

I'd really like to know just waht makes chonditioners react that way :/ I don't think anyone wants hair looking like that!

I'm not sure why it happens, but so far heavier conditioners make me look greasy, just like trudiecat described.

I've heard (or rather read) others have this problem with heavy conditioners, I really have to try that o.o

Macaroni
August 28th, 2011, 03:07 PM

Try and sniff the Alberto VO5 Tea Therapy Clarifying Conditioner in Vanilla Mint Tea (quite a mouthful :)). I can only find it at CVS.

boomtownrat
August 28th, 2011, 04:06 PM

If you have Trader Joe's near you, their Tea Tree Tingle conditioner has a minty smell AND makes your scalp tingle just as the name says. It's $3.49, if I remember correctly. I haven't used it as a washing conditioner yet, but I do massage it into my scalp as if it were my washing conditioner because it really helps my itchy scalp. Maybe today will be the day I finally use it as my washing conditioner. I'm really not sure why I haven't done so before now.

celebriangel
August 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM
How long do you let the conditioner sit to get that much oil out? I put extra oil on my hair before CO washing as well, but not to the extent that it's dripping. In general I use my condish exactly the way I used to use shampoo, i.e. not letting it sit at all, but I'm thinking I might have to change my approach if I needed to get really large quantities of oil out!

About 3-4 mins - however long it takes to wash my body. I'm pretty sure the secret to my success is, after I have let my conditioner sit, I add a little water and massage some more, creating a slight "lather". I massage through the length as well as the scalp. I rinse for a good 5 minutes, and my hair feels clean.

patienceneeded
August 28th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I am about 6 weeks (I think) into CO washing and I LOVE it! About 1 week into CO, I had a hard-water incident, followed by several days of swimming pool chlorine and needed to clarify after that exposure. The last 4 weeks I have only used shampoo once (diluted Burts Bees Raspberry) and my hair is softer than it has ever been. The shedding has gone down too. I always shed a lot, but it seems to be less than normal for me. Nice! I really like the TRESemme Naturals for my wash conditioner, but I also enjoy the VO5 Tea Therapy condish as well. I had been alternating AOHR with Whole Foods 365 brand for my heavy/second conditioner but recently tried AO Island Naturals. LOVED it! So, now AOIN has been added to the growing pile of conditioner in my shower. Luckily, DD4 is CO too, and likes my conditioners, so we can share.

mallorykay13
August 28th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Have been experimenting with CO for a while and tonight I finally got it to work for me. :grin:

Linika
August 29th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Have been experimenting with CO for a while and tonight I finally got it to work for me. :grin:

Go you! I'm happy you found your routine! Would you like to share it?

Lissandria
August 29th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I'm pretty sure the secret to my success is, after I have let my conditioner sit, I add a little water and massage some more, creating a slight "lather". I massage through the length as well as the scalp. I rinse for a good 5 minutes, and my hair feels clean.

I found wetting and lathering conditioner is the only way the CO method works for me. My hair feels clean only for day or so after CO washing then I feel as if I need to wash again. Im thinking i'll alternate between CO washing and CWC, using CO washing to "stretch" my shampoos. I'm not sure I could ever CO wash exclusively.

jenwexler
August 29th, 2011, 06:34 AM
How often would you do a deep conditioning?

MidnightStar
August 29th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I used to add a drop or two of peppermint essential oil to my shampoo, it was soo refreshing. I'm sure we could do the same with our conditioners.
How did I forget about that? :p

True! This is a good idea!

Try and sniff the Alberto VO5 Tea Therapy Clarifying Conditioner in Vanilla Mint Tea (quite a mouthful :)). I can only find it at CVS.

I'll have to check that one out! There's a CVS pretty close by. Would the "clarifying" be a problem for daily use, as it's conditioner, do you think?

If you have Trader Joe's near you, their Tea Tree Tingle conditioner has a minty smell AND makes your scalp tingle just as the name says. It's $3.49, if I remember correctly. I haven't used it as a washing conditioner yet, but I do massage it into my scalp as if it were my washing conditioner because it really helps my itchy scalp. Maybe today will be the day I finally use it as my washing conditioner. I'm really not sure why I haven't done so before now.

Unfortunately I do not have a Trader Joe's close by, and a quick google search indicates I can't order this stuff online either. Darn, that sounds really good. Let me know if you end up using it and liking it, though...I think my cousin lives near one. :)

jenwexler
August 29th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Actually I just added essential oils and tea to my conditioner. Made up my own recipe that works really well =D.

slz
August 29th, 2011, 05:57 PM
In my search for non dye-fading ways to clean my hair, I did my first CO yesterday. With G. Fructis triple nutrition :rolleyes: .
Since when I braided my hair for the night it was still fairly damp, I had to wait till today to realize the full extent of my mistake :D . Live and learn - learn to actually READ the LHC thread instead of just the title :p .

oddbeat
August 29th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I've been CO for about a month and half now and at first my hair was looking much better. It was shinier and smoother than it had been years.

Then about 2 weeks ago, things took a turn for the worse. I noticed parts of my hair feeling gummy as soon as my freshly-washed hair had dried. I thought maybe it was build-up of some sort so I clarified and conditioned and my hair seemed back to normal. Then two CO washes later I'm back to that gummy feeling. Only now it's in more places and brought some fun new flakiness with it. Just great. And I didn't have dandruff before so these few new flakes are really bothering me.

I have no idea what's causing this. I've been rinsing thoroughly and I just clarified so I can't imagine it's build-up again already. I'm using VO5 and Suave products which are well recommended on here. The only other thing I'm doing is coconut oil on the ends only - so I wouldn't think that's messing with my scalp.

Ugh, I just hate how gross my hair feels now and I'm not sure how to fix it. It was fine for the first few weeks of CO!

Macaroni
August 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I'll have to check that one out! There's a CVS pretty close by. Would the "clarifying" be a problem for daily use, as it's conditioner, do you think?

I'm not sure, my hair has level 3 permanent color so I only co wash every third day with it and it's fine for me.

A bottle is only 99 cents, so if it's too drying, it's not costly to try it. Good luck!

PS I use VO5 Herbal Escapes Strengthening Condition in Pomegranate on my length after co'ing and rinse it out.

PPS There is a VO5 Tea Therapy Nourishing Conditioner in Calming Chamomile Tea that I'll be using on the length when the Pomegranate runs out. Maybe you could use the Chamomile totally for co and length rinse out if the Vanilla Mint Tea is too drying for everyday.

MidnightStar
August 29th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure, my hair has level 3 permanent color so I only co wash every third day with it and it's fine for me.

A bottle is only 99 cents, so if it's too drying, it's not costly to try it. Good luck!

PS I use VO5 Herbal Escapes Strengthening Condition in Pomegranate on my length after co'ing and rinse it out.

PPS There is a VO5 Tea Therapy Nourishing Conditioner in Calming Chamomile Tea that I'll be using on the length when the Pomegranate runs out. Maybe you could use the Chamomile totally for co and length rinse out if the Vanilla Mint Tea is too drying for everyday.

Ooh, 99 cents, that's even cheaper than the Suave I've been buying. I'm definitely making a stop tomorrow! :)

Melodere
August 29th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Ok, so help me out here, girls...

I've been poo-free (bs/acv) for about 3 months now. I do like it much better than S&C, but I'm not 100% satisfied. It has thickened my hair, but my hair lacks body and is kind of blah.

I've NEVER been much of a conditioner user. I hesitate to say I was a S&C user, because I only used a teeny bit of conditioner once every few months, and only on my ends. So this is a big step for me.

Here's my plan for now:
Tresemme Naturals conditioner as my "washing" conditioner maybe every 3rd day? We'll see.
Aussie 3MM occasionally... any suggestions where to start with this?

I'd like to try the C-Cow-C or whatever, but I struggle to find a shampoo with no SLS (and preferably no parabens either). I sell Norwex, and ours is free of both, but it's spendy even at my 35% discount. Suggestions?

Thanks girls!

prettykitty
August 29th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Had a brainwave!
OK, Lush conditioners contain SLS (not so great) but normal CO washing leaves me greasy (even less good) but maybe, just maybe I could CO wash with the sulfatey condish and get clean hair!
I'm talking about Veganese or American Cream, and um, yeah just wondering about whether the SLS could help with CO.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried it?

sharicat
August 30th, 2011, 02:58 AM
UKers! I tried Garnier Fructis strength and shine conditioner for my wash CO and it's good, no cones or mineral oils :) only 98p from Wilkinsons!

purple dust
August 30th, 2011, 03:34 AM
This washing method truly changed my life.

KatyS
August 30th, 2011, 04:56 AM
So I started this method using the only shampoo I had - which was Lush's Jungle conditoner. Needless to say my hair felt dirty, heavy and not clean at all. I'm assuming it's because the conditioner is very thick and moisturising and I used a lot!!

So i went to CWC, but my hair felt extremely dry and got greasier quicker? :(

So, I'm planning on having a second shot at this method with a different conditioner (Alberto Balsalm, or Herbal Essences) until I buy a cone free one.

I hope this works!! :)

KatyS
August 30th, 2011, 04:57 AM
* by shampoo I meant conditioner :P

Sunshineliz
August 30th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I've been CO for about a month and half now and at first my hair was looking much better. It was shinier and smoother than it had been years.

Then about 2 weeks ago, things took a turn for the worse. I noticed parts of my hair feeling gummy as soon as my freshly-washed hair had dried. I thought maybe it was build-up of some sort so I clarified and conditioned and my hair seemed back to normal. Then two CO washes later I'm back to that gummy feeling. Only now it's in more places and brought some fun new flakiness with it. Just great. And I didn't have dandruff before so these few new flakes are really bothering me.

I have no idea what's causing this. I've been rinsing thoroughly and I just clarified so I can't imagine it's build-up again already. I'm using VO5 and Suave products which are well recommended on here. The only other thing I'm doing is coconut oil on the ends only - so I wouldn't think that's messing with my scalp.

Ugh, I just hate how gross my hair feels now and I'm not sure how to fix it. It was fine for the first few weeks of CO!

Not sure what you mean by "gummy." Whenever I've heard that particular word used in reference to hair it meant hair that was overly stretchy and wouldn't retain it's shape with light stretching. If that is what you mean, usually the remedy is protein treatments.

If you mean that it just feels funny and the strands try to stick together or something like that--well if you've already clarified, perhaps you should check the quality of your water? If you've got mineral buildup you might need a chelating shampoo. I've heard that is the only way to get rid of mineral buildup.

Hopefully someone who is more familiar with your problem with also chime in.:)

kitschy
August 30th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Not sure what you mean by "gummy." Whenever I've heard that particular word used in reference to hair it meant hair that was overly stretchy and wouldn't retain it's shape with light stretching. If that is what you mean, usually the remedy is protein treatments.

If you mean that it just feels funny and the strands try to stick together or something like that--well if you've already clarified, perhaps you should check the quality of your water? If you've got mineral buildup you might need a chelating shampoo. I've heard that is the only way to get rid of mineral buildup.

Hopefully someone who is more familiar with your problem with also chime in.:)

I clairified this weekend with a rinse of club soda. It worked like a charm.

KatyS
August 30th, 2011, 08:09 AM
OH MY GOSH IM SO EXCITED!! :D

I just CO washed my hair (as I mentioned in my above post) using Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner, and my hair is amazing! :cheese: I have always had some sort of a kink in my hair, and I was hoping that this would help bring out my waves which I sometimes get.

AND I GOT THEM! :) Yayyy. Though, whether or not this was due to me deciding to 'plunk' my hair (or plonk/plop/whatever :p ), or due to the CO wash, but either way- eeek!

I'm excited and I hope this lasts, and my hair doesn't need to be washed as frequently! *nervous excitement*

I would love to post pics, but my camera battery has gone dead :( When I get a replacement my hair will definitely make an appearance!

ohdokey
August 30th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Do most of you CO-er ever use oil on your ends? If so, how often and how do you keep it from creating build-up? thanks

Theobroma
August 30th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Do most of you CO-er ever use oil on your ends? If so, how often and how do you keep it from creating build-up? thanks

I use oil all the time (coconut and shea butter). Some of it goes on just after washing, and I also oil my length, and especially my ends, several times in between washes. I've never had build-up, which I think is only an issue with mineral oil in any case.

GRU
August 30th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Ditto what Theobroma said -- I've only ever used plant oils (grapeseed, coconut, jojoba, sweet almond, etc.), but they've always come out just fine with just CO-washing, no build-up issues.

rowie
August 30th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I'm hardcore and prefer water only (WO). These days it's hard to find threads about WO here in the LHC. Le sigh~

GRU
August 30th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I just CO washed my hair (as I mentioned in my above post) using Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner, and my hair is amazing! :cheese: I have always had some sort of a kink in my hair, and I was hoping that this would help bring out my waves which I sometimes get.

Just so you know, that's a very silicone-filled conditioner. If you start noticing your hair getting "grumpy" somehow (feels funny, more tangly, dry, dull, whatever), you'll need to shampoo in order to get all the buildup off again.

No reason you can't use it if it works for you, just be aware of the silicone issue so you can take corrective action from time to time if it's needed. (I don't believe 'cones are "teh devil" like some do, I just choose not to use them on my own hair -- just a personal preference, same as any other choice we make for our hair. Every head is unique.)

RitaPG
August 30th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Ditto what Theobroma said -- I've only ever used plant oils (grapeseed, coconut, jojoba, sweet almond, etc.), but they've always come out just fine with just CO-washing, no build-up issues.
Add me to that list. I'm very generous when it comes to oiling (coconut, jojoba, castor oil...) and I don't have buildup issues.
The odd thing is, sometimes after CO washing, my hair feels sticky, like ther's still oil in it, but after it's dry it feels awesome :D

MidnightStar
August 30th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Okay, got the VO5 Tea Therapy vanilla mint and tried it tonight - it smells yummy! Oh, and it seemed to do a good job cleaning my hair too. :D
I've had a couple of times with oiling treatments or some other slightly "greasy" (for lack of a better word) deep treatments (Night Blooming's summer panacea, mainly) where I didn't get it all out with the co-wash. But I'm thinking I probably (1) didn't leave it on long enough; (2) didn't rinse well enough; and/or (3) should've done two co-washes instead of one. It's always on the length, though; I've not yet problems getting treatments off my scalp.

KatyS
August 31st, 2011, 05:30 AM
Just so you know, that's a very silicone-filled conditioner. If you start noticing your hair getting "grumpy" somehow (feels funny, more tangly, dry, dull, whatever), you'll need to shampoo in order to get all the buildup off again.

No reason you can't use it if it works for you, just be aware of the silicone issue so you can take corrective action from time to time if it's needed. (I don't believe 'cones are "teh devil" like some do, I just choose not to use them on my own hair -- just a personal preference, same as any other choice we make for our hair. Every head is unique.)

Ah thankyou! That is a shame, as my hair does get tangly and dry, and I hoped CO washing would sort out the problem! I would prefer to not have silicones - but at the moment thats all I have! :p Which means I need to get a non silicone one ASAP!

catiebloo
August 31st, 2011, 07:41 AM

I oil my ends every single night with either Nightblooming's panacea or oil, or my own aloe/coconut/ylang ylang concoction. I slather it on and then put it in 2 braids and just wash out with my morning CO wash. It all comes out no bother so there's no build up, just happy hair :)

A few weeks or so ago I was having major hair problems after doing my monthly henna application, it was greasy for ages and no amount of cowashing would shift it so i eventually went over to the darkside and used a sulphatey shampoo. That combined with Boots stopping my old faithful cheapy pink condish meant my hair was it a terrible state. however i've been getting back into Cowashing and using Garnier Strength & Shine Fortifying Condish. I've searched online for ingredients, but it just seems to be old information as this one has no cones that i can see in it...the ingredients list is pretty different!

Anyway i use that on my scalp and a dab of Triple Nutrition on my lengths & my hair is loving it! It's super shiny & has a nice amount of body to it rather than laying flat like it usually does :rolleyes:

1hunky5monkeys
August 31st, 2011, 08:07 AM
I'm hardcore and prefer water only (WO). These days it's hard to find threads about WO here in the LHC. Le sigh~

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3412&highlight=official+WO

Roscata
August 31st, 2011, 08:46 AM
So I tried pre-oiling before COing again and I used the conditioner I use regularly, left it on for 30 minutes then rinsed it off... my hair was still oily after washing. I'm going to have to CO again today. I couldn't see my hair was oily until it dried so I had to wait to notice, but at least I know now that I need to double CO it to get oil out. Sigh.

Siiri
August 31st, 2011, 09:17 AM

If I do a heavy oiling with coconut oil more than twice a month, I get build up, even though after oiling it seems to come off well with CO-wash. I'm not sure if it's the protein that causes it, I've tried olive oil and that was even worse. Perhaps my hair just doesn't need oil since it's so short that the hair's own sebum is enough. I use a leave-in that has some coconut oil, but it doesn't cause build up that easily because there's less of it. I clarify monthly to remove the build up with a regular clarifying shampoo. I think I'll try plain oils as leave-in later when my hair is longer.

jenwexler
August 31st, 2011, 11:54 AM
It;s better to clarify with ACV rather than baking soda with c/o right?

RitaPG
August 31st, 2011, 12:04 PM
It;s better to clarify with ACV rather than baking soda with c/o right?
In all honesty that will depend much on your hairtype. Some people can't stand using baking soda on their hair because it's just too drying and strips hair too much. Also, I don't think ACV can be used to clarify (unless you're talking mineral buildup from the water)
For me, the best way to clarify is to use my SLS shampoo diluted.

Melodere
August 31st, 2011, 09:12 PM
Ok, so Monday evening I did the c-cow-c thing, and used a deep conditioner (aussie 3MM). I have been bs/acv religiously for 3+ months... it was just stripping and drying my hair. So I figured a deep condition would be a good idea.

My hair felt like a pile of grease.

So today I did just CO. Still a big pile of grease.

Any thoughts?

My hair is fine to medium and straight. I used Tresemme Naturals conditioner, and not very much at all either. Am I using too little maybe? I'm rinsing for a good 5 minutes.

I don't want to go back to shampoo. My scalp is worlds better than it was on shampoo. And my hair is generally thicker and healthier... it was just too dry from the bs/acv.

Linika
September 1st, 2011, 02:49 AM
Ok, so Monday evening I did the c-cow-c thing, and used a deep conditioner (aussie 3MM). I have been bs/acv religiously for 3+ months... it was just stripping and drying my hair. So I figured a deep condition would be a good idea.

My hair felt like a pile of grease.

So today I did just CO. Still a big pile of grease.

Any thoughts?

My hair is fine to medium and straight. I used Tresemme Naturals conditioner, and not very much at all either. Am I using too little maybe? I'm rinsing for a good 5 minutes.

I don't want to go back to shampoo. My scalp is worlds better than it was on shampoo. And my hair is generally thicker and healthier... it was just too dry from the bs/acv.

The amount of conditioner might be a problem. Also, do you massage/scrub your hair enough? How long do you let it sit? Did the hair feel free of conditioner when you were done rinsing? I have no idea of how long I rinse, but I make sure that there is no trace of conditioner residue anywhere near my scalp when I stop rinsing.

My hair is fine and straight too and so far I have never had any problems at all with CO since I got everyting right.

I also use TRESemme Naturals (Moisturising) conditioner, but I use a lot of it. For me I have to really slather my hair with conditioner. Everyting has to be covered with it for my hair to get clean. When I use the conditioner stright from the bottle, that ususally means two largish hadfuls. 1/2 goes to the top hair 1/2 to either side and 1/2 to the hair at my neck and up to the top of the head. It's really a lot of conditioner for the scalp so the excess goes to the lengths.

swetiepeti
September 1st, 2011, 03:14 AM
I also go through about the same amount, and also straight from the bottle. I'm trying out the Tresemme Naturals now as they had it on sale if you bought three bottles. My husband started to say something about me getting three bottles, but I reminded him I don't buy shampoo anymore so it's not as much as it seems. Plus he's seen my "travel stash". He then paused and said, "well, your hair has been really soft, just don't get obsessed, it's just hair".

So I then reminded him that I'd just bought TEN bottles of his favorite Eucalyptus Shampoo from the Hyatt thats 6.7 ounces for $12 a bottle.

>>I also use TRESemme Naturals (Moisturising) conditioner, but I use a lot of it. For me I have to really slather my hair with conditioner. Everyting has to be covered with it for my hair to get clean. When I use the conditioner stright from the bottle, that ususally means two largish hadfuls. 1/2 goes to the top hair 1/2 to either side and 1/2 to the hair at my neck and up to the top of the head. It's really a lot of conditioner for the scalp so the excess goes to the lengths. <<

Linika
September 1st, 2011, 04:04 AM
I also go through about the same amount, and also straight from the bottle. I'm trying out the Tresemme Naturals now as they had it on sale if you bought three bottles. My husband started to say something about me getting three bottles, but I reminded him I don't buy shampoo anymore so it's not as much as it seems. Plus he's seen my "travel stash". He then paused and said, "well, your hair has been really soft, just don't get obsessed, it's just hair".

So I then reminded him that I'd just bought TEN bottles of his favorite Eucalyptus Shampoo from the Hyatt thats 6.7 ounces for $12 a bottle.

For me, less than that amout just... doesn't cover all the hair. Which in turn leaves my hair dirty.

What are your thoughts on the TRESemme Naturals conditioner? I've read that some finds it way to heavy. I love it though. It leavs my hair all smooth, soft and fluffy :3 I am experimenting with diluting it though, to save costs really... so far it's working (3parts condish 1 part water, going to 50/50 when that batch is done)

And... 3 bottles aren't that much! Compared to 10! o.o
How does your travelstash look? *is curious*

missdelarocha
September 1st, 2011, 07:32 AM
Hi, you're all amazing, 'nuff said :) .

This is the only wonderful resource out there for ANYBODY who wants healthy hair and it's all thanks to you all, just realized how lovely it is that we all come together and talk about this and help each other.

I have a lot of conditioner in my shower.. I find that my hair gets stringy as though I hadn't washed it after a few days, either this is transition or the fact that I used cone-laden conditioner. IDK.

Melodere
September 1st, 2011, 09:10 AM
Ok, I'm just not using enough conditioner. I've NEVER been a big conditioner user since it weighed my hair down. When I used S&C, I only used C once every few months. But I'm pretty sure the kinds I've used were full of cones. So with that I've been using just a tiny bit like I used to do. Haha! I'm about to jump in the shower, so I'll use a big heaping pile this time. Haha!

Melodere
September 1st, 2011, 11:19 AM
So... I slathered it on, REALLY massaged it in, let it sit, rinsed well, and tada! Gorgeous, soft, CLEAN hair! Thanks a ton girls! I never would have imagined using MORE conditioner would make my hair less heavy & greasy feeling! Haha! I am pretty sure I'm sold now. Yep.

GRU
September 1st, 2011, 11:26 AM
So... I slathered it on, REALLY massaged it in, let it sit, rinsed well, and tada! Gorgeous, soft, CLEAN hair! Thanks a ton girls! I never would have imagined using MORE conditioner would make my hair less heavy & greasy feeling! Haha! I am pretty sure I'm sold now. Yep.

And yet another one we've pulled over to The Dark Side.... :luke:

Linika
September 1st, 2011, 02:13 PM

I'm happy for you! It really felt odd to use that much conditioner the first time! Though I think it's an amazing feeling. When the hair is all covered in conditioner it feels so luxrous to massage the scalp IMHO :)

Linika
September 1st, 2011, 02:16 PM
And yet another one we've pulled over to The Dark Side.... :luke:

I don't really get this dark side thing... because CO is awsome xD but perhaps it's because other people finds it totally odd? o.o

GRU
September 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
I don't really get this dark side thing... because CO is awsome xD but perhaps it's because other people finds it totally odd? o.o

Yeah, kinda like we're a "cult" who lives outside the norm of society! :D

sharicat
September 1st, 2011, 03:09 PM
*snip* Garnier Strength & Shine Fortifying Condish. I've searched online for ingredients, but it just seems to be old information as this one has no cones that i can see in it...the ingredients list is pretty different!

Anyway i use that on my scalp and a dab of Triple Nutrition on my lengths & my hair is loving it! It's super shiny & has a nice amount of body to it rather than laying flat like it usually does :rolleyes:

I'm using the Strength and shine one too, it's awesome eh! I read online it was coney but there's definitely none in it and it's working great for CO for me :)

swetiepeti
September 1st, 2011, 03:15 PM
Just started using it, so far, so good although did not pull out my heavy oiling as well as my Sauve Coconut conditioner did, but better than the VO5 Kiwi Lime. But since I just wore it up, it looked fine until I CO washed it again last night. If anything, the extra day of partially washed out oil made it look even nicer today.

Travel stash has several one ounce jars of Coconut oil (love swimming, hair does not), one one ounce bottle of Jojoba/Argan mixed together for ends. I have a three ounce bottle of conditioner for every two days I'm going to be gone, and a 3 ounce bottle of premixed SMT plus a plastic disposable hair cap that I use in place of one CO wash (sucked into the weekly challange and liking it).

>>
For me, less than that amout just... doesn't cover all the hair. Which in turn leaves my hair dirty.

What are your thoughts on the TRESemme Naturals conditioner? I've read that some finds it way to heavy. I love it though. It leavs my hair all smooth, soft and fluffy :3 I am experimenting with diluting it though, to save costs really... so far it's working (3parts condish 1 part water, going to 50/50 when that batch is done)

And... 3 bottles aren't that much! Compared to 10! o.o
How does your travelstash look? *is curious*<<

Melodere
September 1st, 2011, 03:19 PM

Eh, if I tell people I'm washing my hair with only conditioner now, they'll probably be relieved I'm not totally crazy since I've been bs/acv for months now. I'm already that "weird hippie girl who doesn't use S&C"

boomtownrat
September 1st, 2011, 08:18 PM
My scalp is happier with CO, that's for sure. I think my hair is, too, but even with aloe vera gel I still have lots of little flyaway corkscrews all over the canopy that people in the Salt & Pepper Thread suspect are just new growth. I'm not so sure, because my whole length gets that way, too. In fact, it looks dry to me. I've included a photo so you guys can see what I mean.

I'm going to get some VO5 Tea Therapy conditioner this weekend, because I remember really loving it when I was CO washing for the first time over a year and a half ago. At that point I wasn't doing the second conditioner and I wasn't diluting the washing conditioner at all, so I think (hope) the results will be even better than the last time I used one of those conditioners. Suave sometimes works great, but I really feel that rotating often helps with the flyaway situation.

Leaving some diluted conditioner in seemed to help with the flyaways more than anything else I've tried, so I'm just going back to that because I don't want to use cones knowing that I'll probably have to clarify with shampoo every so often. First I need to find a conditioner I can use for a leave-in whose smell I don't mind sticking around all day; fragrance is one of my migraine triggers and I'm just generally sensitive to it. Does anybody have any good experiences using one of the VO5 Tea Therapy conditioners as a leave-in? I know they're better for washing than they are at moisturizing, but I just love their smells so much.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/boomtownrat/30aug2011.jpg

GRU
September 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM
You can also work some oil into your leave-in... I just mix some up in a color applicator bottle and use it for a week, but you could also mix it up in your hand if you wanted.

boomtownrat
September 1st, 2011, 08:39 PM
I did try that once, mixing coconut oil into aloe vera gel. It certainly worked better than AVG alone, and probably about as well as diluted conditioner. Since I don't keep the coconut oil in the bathroom I usually forget to do it again, but if I were to get a color applicator bottle I know I'd do it more often. Well, I wanted to go to Sally's anyway and it's five minutes from my house. :)

GRU
September 2nd, 2011, 07:08 AM
I notice a big difference between conditioner alone or conditioner + oil. Lemme know how it works for you!

Linika
September 2nd, 2011, 10:44 AM

And what a nice cult it is! :D beats 'normal' any day! xD

Just started using it, so far, so good although did not pull out my heavy oiling as well as my Sauve Coconut conditioner did, but better than the VO5 Kiwi Lime. But since I just wore it up, it looked fine until I CO washed it again last night. If anything, the extra day of partially washed out oil made it look even nicer today.

Travel stash has several one ounce jars of Coconut oil (love swimming, hair does not), one one ounce bottle of Jojoba/Argan mixed together for ends. I have a three ounce bottle of conditioner for every two days I'm going to be gone, and a 3 ounce bottle of premixed SMT plus a plastic disposable hair cap that I use in place of one CO wash (sucked into the weekly challange and liking it).

I haven't tried oiling since I started CO, I think I have to do that soon! :) It'll be interesting to see how it works for me ^^

But, it's good that your hair looked better in the end :D

Travel stash seem a bit complicated to me as a newbie when it comes to alternative hair care, but I can understand that you want and need to take it with you, so that your hair can be as faboulous awas as it is home :)

catiebloo
September 2nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
I'm using the Strength and shine one too, it's awesome eh! I read online it was coney but there's definitely none in it and it's working great for CO for me :)

All the ingredient lists i can find online all show cones in it, but mine definitely doesn't...it says on the front it's a new recipe...so i guess the ingredients haven't update online yet! And yes, it's amazing fo cowashing!! I don't even dilute it, just plonk it on as it is :)

Kelikea
September 2nd, 2011, 05:58 PM
Does anyone use any Nature's Gate conditioner? If so, which one and how do you like it? Also, have you ever tried either mane and tail conditioner?

boomtownrat
September 3rd, 2011, 11:14 AM
I notice a big difference between conditioner alone or conditioner + oil. Lemme know how it works for you!

Well, it's not quite the same as what you're talking about, but twice I've used a little bit of Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque as a leave-in because it has all those delicious oils, and the label suggests it as a styling cream. It surprisingly doesn't weigh my hair down, but it tames the flyaways even better than a leave-in conditioner. When I just use it as a masque in place of the second conditioner, I still get some of those benefits and it makes my hair feel thicker and healthier than I can ever remember. My hair is so thirsty that I feel I could probably use this stuff more than once a week. I'm going to try alternating it with a diluted conditioner leave-in (my hair seems to like the Suave Daily Clarifying as both a washing conditioner and as a leave-in, as long as I use the Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner as a second step).

Linika
September 5th, 2011, 02:14 PM
So... I put some oil in my hair today a couple of hour before washing. Some canola, sunflower and castor oil is what I used. Then I went through my regular CO wash routine, though I used some more condish, rubbed some extra and let it sit for a few minutes longer, I think.

Now, I'm out of the shower, but unsure if I got all of the oil out. It didn't really feel like it in the shower, I missed the squeeky clean feel, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my hair won't be greasy when I wake up tomorrow... otherwise I think I have to ditch oiling :/ because CO just takes soooo long o.o it's awsome, but takes too long for me to be comfortable with 'washing' twice in one wash...

Also, I've notices way more shedding today than usual. I'm going to ignore it right now and hope I'm just beeing paranoid, or that it's just one of those days :)

EDIT: So, reporting in on the oiling. I don't think I got all of the oil out, most of it, but not all. My hair isn't fluffy like usual and not qite as shiny. It is however very soft, and not greasy looking, so I'll just leve it like this until next wash. Next time I oil my hair, I'm going to try some less oil :)

gazelle
September 5th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I mix the conditioner+oil with a glass of distilled water, in a spray bottle. It works great for me as a leave in. (I also add 3 drops of strawberry essence, just for scent)

I was using Gliss kur oil nutritive spray before this mix. I think my mix is better than Gliss:);)

bunzfan
September 6th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Can i have some advice ladies, i used to be totally co wash but my scalp rebelled and i tried cwc but it left me with very dry hair so i am giving this another shot. Here's my problem i have being totally co washing for two weeks but it still leaves me with an oily patch at the back of my head.

I let the conditioner sit on my dry hair for 15 mins as i read thats the best way to soak up any oil then rinse and do another co wash. I use the boots cheap conditioner and i even tried a acv rinse i don't really want to go back to shampoo, i have been using dry shampoo but i don't think thats very good for my hair either. Also i do use a lot of oil on the length of my hair.

GRU
September 6th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Can i have some advice ladies, i used to be totally co wash but my scalp rebelled and i tried cwc but it left me with very dry hair so i am giving this another shot. Here's my problem i have being totally co washing for two weeks but it still leaves me with an oily patch at the back of my head.

For me, it's not about how long it sits on my head so much as how well I scrub with my fingers.

I like to dilute the conditioner significantly (will depend on the thickness to start with, but I often do one part conditioner to 2-4 parts water) and put it in a color applicator bottle. The nozzle on the bottle lets me apply the conditioner DIRECTLY to my scalp, which is where the "gook" is that needs to be removed. And by thinning the conditioner, it's easier to spread it all around so that nothing goes unscrubbed.

I've found that if I get lazy with being THOROUGH with my scrubbing action, that's when my scalp gets pissed off at me in the form of seborrheic dermatitis.

Sunshineliz
September 6th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Just checking in that CO is still working good! Gave up on GTN for a second conditioner though as it always left me greasy, so I'm back to Suave Clarifying for both 1st and 2nd conditioner. Sounds weird I guess, but if I have to rinse really well the first time to get it all off my scalp and then the 2nd time I don't work it down to the roots and don't rinse completely. If I don't do the 2nd one my hair feels too dry.

AND, I was worried that my hair might be thinning because of the amount of shed in the shower and because it felt less full, but nope! I measured my circumference and it went from 2.5" to 2.75"! So unless I'm completely inept at measuring, then I've actually gained thickness! Even if my measurements were/are off, I don't think they could be any worse than showing no change at all. Yay for me!:happydance:

Rhodugune
September 6th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I'm so happy, 'cause I've been co-ing for about a year now and I've tried several conditioners and still my hair have felt just a little bit to heavy, if you know what I mean?
But now since I've started to use ACV in my last rince, the problem is gone!
My hair feels great, feels light again and it's more shiny and more easy to detangle.
I'm in love, to think it was that easy! :)

celebriangel
September 6th, 2011, 10:15 AM

I let the conditioner sit on my dry hair for 15 mins as i read thats the best way to soak up any oil then rinse and do another co wash. I use the boots cheap conditioner and i even tried a acv rinse i don't really want to go back to shampoo, i have been using dry shampoo but i don't think thats very good for my hair either. Also i do use a lot of oil on the length of my hair.

To really get my scalp clean, I find two things are crucial:

1) I tip all my hair upside down. I feel I get plenty of scalp coverage, and massaging the conditioner in is much easier.

2) After having left the conditioner for 3-4 mins while I wash the rest of me, I squirt the conditioner with a little water and massage more. At this point I get a lather-like thing happening. I think this step is what allows me to slather my hair in oil and still CO it out once. Just leaving the conditioner on for a while, for me, doesn't make the oil come out. I need this step.

Oh, and I'm back to COing, for all that I'm adding WO rinses in there too. My hair, on wash-day, still feels "too clean" and a bit fluffy. Any ideas for a heavy, rich conditioner that I can find in the UK for my conditioner-loving ends? Or any other tricks - I could add oil to my current conditioner, for example...*ponders*.

bunzfan
September 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM
For me, it's not about how long it sits on my head so much as how well I scrub with my fingers.

I like to dilute the conditioner significantly (will depend on the thickness to start with, but I often do one part conditioner to 2-4 parts water) and put it in a color applicator bottle. The nozzle on the bottle lets me apply the conditioner DIRECTLY to my scalp, which is where the "gook" is that needs to be removed. And by thinning the conditioner, it's easier to spread it all around so that nothing goes unscrubbed.

I've found that if I get lazy with being THOROUGH with my scrubbing action, that's when my scalp gets pissed off at me in the form of seborrheic dermatitis.

Thank you Gru taken note. Your the co queen:D

To really get my scalp clean, I find two things are crucial:

1) I tip all my hair upside down. I feel I get plenty of scalp coverage, and massaging the conditioner in is much easier.

2) After having left the conditioner for 3-4 mins while I wash the rest of me, I squirt the conditioner with a little water and massage more. At this point I get a lather-like thing happening. I think this step is what allows me to slather my hair in oil and still CO it out once. Just leaving the conditioner on for a while, for me, doesn't make the oil come out. I need this step.

Oh, and I'm back to COing, for all that I'm adding WO rinses in there too. My hair, on wash-day, still feels "too clean" and a bit fluffy. Any ideas for a heavy, rich conditioner that I can find in the UK for my conditioner-loving ends? Or any other tricks - I could add oil to my current conditioner, for example...*ponders*.

I got told on British curlies to try this http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=garnier+fructis+conditioners&hl=en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1360&bih=707&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15869053939342860905&sa=X&ei=UF1mTre7GYiLswbq2-mACg&ved=0CFwQ8wIwAA its co friendly and my hair is so soft after. In Asda at the moment its a £1 win win;)

jenwexler
September 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Have you guys noticed holding less of a curl with heat appliances and needing to rely more on pin curls or rag curls?

GRU
September 6th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Have you guys noticed holding less of a curl with heat appliances and needing to rely more on pin curls or rag curls?

Nope, can't say that I've noticed that.... :lol:

(sorry, I'm in a smartass mood today)

GRU
September 6th, 2011, 12:24 PM

If you've got the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition available there (I think it is, based on things I've seen here), that's a "heavier" conditioner that might help your "too fluffy" situation.

Do you apply conditioner to leave in after you've rinsed? My hair slurps that stuff up....

MandyBeth
September 6th, 2011, 12:40 PM
If you've got the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition available there (I think it is, based on things I've seen here), that's a "heavier" conditioner that might help your "too fluffy" situation.

Do you apply conditioner to leave in after you've rinsed? My hair slurps that stuff up....
Careful with the Garnier 3N, it can build up. I swear, it depends on the water quality, but ugh, the build up is vile to remove, even with SLS use.

Lippytoes
September 7th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Careful with the Garnier 3N, it can build up. I swear, it depends on the water quality, but ugh, the build up is vile to remove, even with SLS use.

GTN can build up? Well, that might explain why my hair's felt gunky the past couple of washes. I've been wondering what it could be, but did not suspect my second condish! :eek: Suppose today's wash might have to be a clarifying one, then... *sigh*

Theobroma
September 7th, 2011, 02:53 AM
GTN can build up? Well, that might explain why my hair's felt gunky the past couple of washes. I've been wondering what it could be, but did not suspect my second condish! :eek: Suppose today's wash might have to be a clarifying one, then... *sigh*

I'm surprised to read this. I've used Triple Nutrition as my second conditioner in a CO routine for over a year now. Not a trace of buildup here! :confused:

I do find that using too much of it as a leave-in will leave my hair feeling faintly gunky, but that isn't buildup; it can be fixed just by rinsing out with water.

Molls
September 7th, 2011, 10:35 PM

yes - I tried to curl my hair one day when I was going out, and it barely curled at all... I have not tried pin or rag curls though.

jenwexler
September 7th, 2011, 10:39 PM
My hair just slips right through with the topstyler now since I started C/O. I love that C/O makes my hair healthy...but I miss quicker curls too.

Lippytoes
September 8th, 2011, 03:27 AM
I'm surprised to read this. I've used Triple Nutrition as my second conditioner in a CO routine for over a year now. Not a trace of buildup here! :confused:

I do find that using too much of it as a leave-in will leave my hair feeling faintly gunky, but that isn't buildup; it can be fixed just by rinsing out with water.

I'm not entirely convinced that I had build-up now, really. I reckon I did just leave in too much GTN. But I clarified, still. Took me a while to remember how the whole S&C routine actually goes. :D Aaand once more I remember how I love CO - my hair feels so stripped and lustreless today, although it is *very* clean. :shrug: Can't wait to do a CO wash again!

alexandros22
September 8th, 2011, 04:55 AM
MY scalp starts to feel itchy a couple of days after i wash it and CO wash doesn't help with it eventhough hair looks good

Kelikea
September 8th, 2011, 05:10 AM
MY scalp starts to feel itchy a couple of days after i wash it and CO wash doesn't help with it eventhough hair looks good

I've discovered that I'm allergic to almost every shampoo I've tried. Some conditioner bothers me, too. Aloe helps alot. I rub it on my scalp whenever it gets itchy or flaky. ACV rinse is also helpful if your pH is off. I am having good luck with the Vo5 vanilla mint tea conditioner.

catiebloo
September 8th, 2011, 06:00 AM

I'm in the UK :)

I use Garnier Strength & Shine (with the grapefruit extracts) on my scalp & the Repair & Shine (triple nutrition) on my lengths and my hair loves it! You can pick them both up from the cheapy £land type shops easily enough.

I know this isn't a AVC thread, but I have a question about it if anyone can help?

When you dilute it & pour it over your scalp & hair, do you then rinse it out, or leave it on?

NotInPortland
September 8th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Having given CO a break for a while I'm back trying it again. I just graduated the other day and ended up having curls put into my hair (heat styled eep!) and the stylist put a lot of hairspray in to hold them-will conditioner be enough to get all this goop out or should I go for shampoo this time does anyone know? :)

RitaPG
September 8th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Having given CO a break for a while I'm back trying it again. I just graduated the other day and ended up having curls put into my hair (heat styled eep!) and the stylist put a lot of hairspray in to hold them-will conditioner be enough to get all this goop out or should I go for shampoo this time does anyone know? :)
Better use shampoo to get rid of all those products before going CO.

Theobroma
September 8th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I know this isn't a AVC thread, but I have a question about it if anyone can help?

When you dilute it & pour it over your scalp & hair, do you then rinse it out, or leave it on?

I use white vinegar, not ACV, but the principle is the same. The diluted vinegar actually is my *final* rinse, so I suppose that would qualify as leaving it on!

NotInPortland
September 8th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Better use shampoo to get rid of all those products before going CO.

Yes I think you're right, best to get rid of it all and start from fresh, thanks for the help much appreciated :)

Roscata
September 8th, 2011, 09:27 AM

I leave it one for a few minutes, then rinse it out. :D

MissLiner
September 8th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Hi guys, I'm totally new here and I just started CO last night (shoulder-length, very fine, not too thin though, slight wave). I started with BS/shampoo clarifying so I could have a clean slate (wow, that's an intense effect!), and then massaged in tons of Suave Tropical Coconut, and left it in for almost 20 mins under shower cap (I was nervous about how dry my hair felt after the BS). Rinsed for a few mins (forgot to "lather"), and then put a little more Suave just on the bottom half and rinsed it out immediately.

My hair feels clean and soft, but I can't wait to see what it's like after my first true CO wash (no clarifying). Any hints?

jenwexler
September 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Anyone know of a good hairspray or gel that doesn't have cones, alcohol, and can wash out fine with C/O? I know I'm asking a lot but just wondering.

Tabihito
September 8th, 2011, 11:26 AM
So I forgot my VO5 when I showered the other day, and since my shower is a good hike from my room (on the other side of the dorm, down two flights of stairs), I just decided to wash with the GFTN I was already carrying. And oh my goodness. My hair felt better than it has in, um... ever? Slipped out of everything I tried to do with it though, doing a bun for class the next day was a nightmare.

But definitely a healthy feeling. Which leads me to believe that VO5 is too 'cleansing', because I was already using GFTN as a second conditioner. Any other ideas on conditioners out there that are somewhere between GFTN and VO5 that'll work for a college student's budget?

Because if it works as well next time I wash (tomorrow morning), I'm definitely going to switch 'washing' conditioners.

Theobroma
September 8th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Tabihito, what if you diluted the Triple Nutrition as your cleansing conditioner? Many of us find that any conditioner is much easier to distribute properly over the scalp when diluted, and that way it would last longer too!

sharicat
September 8th, 2011, 02:04 PM

Is it the blue Boots one? If so it has mineral oil in it and it caused me the same problem. Dilute your condish too so it can penetrate where your hair is thick.

I switched to Garnier Fructis strength and shine and no more oilies! :)

sharicat
September 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM

Yes I have noticed this too. I'm relying on rag curls to boost my curly ends now.

Roscata
September 8th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Anyone know of a good hairspray or gel that doesn't have cones, alcohol, and can wash out fine with C/O? I know I'm asking a lot but just wondering.

Natural hair sprays (info gathered from "Natural/Herbal (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54312&highlight=natural+hair+spray+lemon+orange)" hairspray thread):
- Light and Lemon Hair Spray (2 to 4 lemons, 2-4 cups of water; Slice the lemons and cover with water in a pan. Simmer for 1 hour, adding more water as it evaporates. Let cool, then strain. Pour the lemon liquid into a pump spray bottle. Makes 2 to 3 cups. [From www.longlocks.com]), you can add a couple drops of honey for additional hold
- natural preservatives to add for longer shelf life: grapefruit seed extract (extract, not oil) may make it last for 3 weeks in stead of a few days to a week.
- lemon is really harsh, drying and can lighten hair in contact with sun, so you can replace it with orange or beer, however the boiling process might combat the harsh nature of lemon
- use filtered, boiled water for your mix, or distiled water to increase shelf life :D

ETA:
Natural gel.

Natural gels to use on hair:
- pure aloe vera gel (the clear kind)
- pure flax seed gel
- optional: add a few drops of oil for conditioning purposes

Homemade Hair Mousse (http://www.pioneerthinking.com/mousse1.html)
-1/4 cup of plain gelatin
- 1 cup warm water
- Instructions: Dissolve 1/4 teaspoon plain gelatin in 1 cup boiling water. Let sit at room temperature until slightly set. Rub into dry or wet hair.

Gelatin and aloe might be good for you hair according to tip #6 of 20 Best Hair Tips From Around the World (http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/makeup-skin-care-hair/staticslideshowinstyle.aspx?cp-documentid=28765370&icid=LIFESTYLE2&GT1=LIFESTYLE2) article. And beer (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55808&highlight=bee) is said to be very good for conditioning hair.

RitaPG
September 8th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Aloe vera gel. I use it to tame frizz and flyaways. I heard it's also good to keep curls.

swetiepeti
September 8th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I think I've decided I'm not fond of the Tresseme Naturals Conditioner. It may not have silicone, but after a few CO washes it appears to be leaving a build up anyway.

Lippytoes
September 9th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Is it the blue Boots one? If so it has mineral oil in it and it caused me the same problem. Dilute your condish too so it can penetrate where your hair is thick.

I switched to Garnier Fructis strength and shine and no more oilies! :)

The blue Boots one has mineral oil? Well that might explain why it hasn't felt nearly as awesome in my hair as the pink Boots condish. Hmph. I still have a quarter of the blue bottle left, though - I suppose I'll just soldier on with that until it's gone.

PoliticalPilot
September 9th, 2011, 06:20 AM
anyone have recommendations for a good natural conditioner, like Burts Bees? I don't want the waste the money if they are known to not work for CO-washing.
Aye aye--this is all getting overwhelming.

ETA: Our water is hard, but we have a water-softener. I don't know if that makes a difference for what will work for my hair? I really need some ideas for good conditioners to try! I've tried Giovanni Triple Moisture (I think?) and the Tresseme Natural one.

RitaPG
September 9th, 2011, 06:22 AM
anyone have recommendations for a good natural conditioner, like Burts Bees? I don't want the waste the money if they are known to not work for CO-washing.
Aye aye--this is all getting overwhelming.
Try the reviews section. They have lots of conditioner brands and comments there.

PoliticalPilot
September 9th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Try the reviews section. They have lots of conditioner brands and comments there.

Where is that?
Sorry....I'm new around here and not very familiar with where different sections are. :o

RitaPG
September 9th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Where is that?
Sorry....I'm new around here and not very familiar with where different sections are. :o
http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showcat.php/cat/3 there ya go, 22 pages of reviews just for conditioner

PoliticalPilot
September 9th, 2011, 06:30 AM
http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showcat.php/cat/3 there ya go, 22 pages of reviews just for conditioner

Thank you!! :D

MandyBeth
September 9th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I think it's an issue with water quality, or lack there of.

But yes, GTN builds up for me and DH. As in, DH used it twice on hair that has NOTHING else on it, rinsed a ton, used vinegar, rinsed.

Once his hair was dry, he could run his nails down a strand and get a waxy type build-up off.

WickedLady
September 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I would clarify and then start the CO process over :)

RitaPG
September 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I think it's an issue with water quality, or lack there of.

But yes, GTN builds up for me and DH. As in, DH used it twice on hair that has NOTHING else on it, rinsed a ton, used vinegar, rinsed.

Once his hair was dry, he could run his nails down a strand and get a waxy type build-up off.
Exactly, it is more likely a water issue than a build-up issue.

I think people are starting to freak out about this whole build up thing, especially the new users. I keep reading more and more comments about people that bought this-and-that conditioner, and use it twice but then read somewhere that it caused build up, so they stop using it and then complain about it.
Don't just throw your products away or give up on them like that, build-up is almost inevitable and every conditioner is susceptible to cause it. You can always dilute it if it's too thick, and that's to say the least. So what if it causes build-up after several uses? Just use a bit of diluted shampoo to clear that out. In time, you'll find that you need less and less shampoo.

Also, if you're really commited to CO wash and hair care in general, you need to start looking up the articles and reviews sections.
There you can find out about split ends (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189), Build-up and Clarifying (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=194), the silicone myth in hair care (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=185), De-mistify the dimethicone/cone debacle (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=151) (because honestly, there's nothing wrong with cones, they are very good ingredients for slip and shine, thet just don't work equally well for everyone). There's also an article on vinegar rinses (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=56) for those who are curious, and of course, the original CO wash (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18)article and the double CO wash method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=70) for those with particularly greasy hair.
And don't forget to take a peak at the reviews (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/index.php/cat/1)section, there's a whole world of conditioners out there. Go for the ones that are easier to find, look it up in your local supermarket or salon (if you can afford it)
Just remember that what didn't work for them might work for you (and vice-versa), and give it a good month before deciding that it just doesn't work.

Hope this helps :flower:

Roscata
September 9th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I agree with you RitaPG, build-up is something that's basically unavoidable and should be handled appropriately. Although I myself am not a cone user (my hair has a LOT of slip and cones basically make it impossible for me to make a bun) I do know that cones work great for a lot of people, especially for those with tangle-prone hair. So don't run away from cones! Just remember to clarify whenever your hair feels less than great. :)

boomtownrat
September 9th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Hi guys, I'm totally new here and I just started CO last night (shoulder-length, very fine, not too thin though, slight wave). I started with BS/shampoo clarifying so I could have a clean slate (wow, that's an intense effect!), and then massaged in tons of Suave Tropical Coconut, and left it in for almost 20 mins under shower cap (I was nervous about how dry my hair felt after the BS). Rinsed for a few mins (forgot to "lather"), and then put a little more Suave just on the bottom half and rinsed it out immediately.

My hair feels clean and soft, but I can't wait to see what it's like after my first true CO wash (no clarifying). Any hints?

Hi, MissLiner! :)

My best hint would be to get your scalp slightly wetter before you start to lather, because it helps it foam up almost like a shampoo and it seems to help clean the scalp. It doesn't take a whole lot of water; even just a light sprinkling from running my hand under the shower stream and dribbling it on my head a few times helps me. I'm sure it looks silly but it works. :D

slz
September 10th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Has anybody ever tried to CO with homemade conditioner ? I thought of something very simple, water + oil + emulsifier (BTMS or such) + maybe EO for conservation and smell.

Cassie 123
September 10th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Has anybody ever tried to CO with homemade conditioner ? I thought of something very simple, water + oil + emulsifier (BTMS or such) + maybe EO for conservation and smell.

The conditioner base which I have been successfully using to CO has its materials data safety sheet online (http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca/msds/MSDS_ConditionerBaseUltraPremium.pdf), which, given the simple nature of the product, amounts to a recipe that could easily be reproduced.

slz
September 10th, 2011, 02:57 PM
The conditioner base which I have been successfully using to CO has its materials data safety sheet online (http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca/msds/MSDS_ConditionerBaseUltraPremium.pdf), which, given the simple nature of the product, amounts to a recipe that could easily be reproduced.
Thanks a lot Cassie - now I'll have to see what the supplier I found (aromazone) sells or doesn't sell, that's also the limitation I have .... probably there's room for recipe simplification, too.

Linika
September 10th, 2011, 04:21 PM
So, I got myself an applicator bottle today! Mum coloured her hair and I stole the bottle when she was done :) Now, it will be easier to experiment with diluting :)

I think I've decided I'm not fond of the Tresseme Naturals Conditioner. It may not have silicone, but after a few CO washes it appears to be leaving a build up anyway.

That's to bad! :( I myself have not noticed any kind of buildup, and hope not to. But I'll keep my eyes open for sings of buildup ^^

kyandii
September 11th, 2011, 01:47 AM
I tried CO washing for the first time yesterday.
I'm loving it! :D

Tealpuffin
September 11th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Question - I am looking at CO washing, do you think I would be able to CO every 2-3 days then shampooing once a week x

Shelly
September 11th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I used to CO but now with the way I sweat at work I have to use shampoo at least once a week or my hair starts feeling extremely oily and nasty. I'm gonna try to go back to it if I possibly can.

Cassie 123
September 11th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Question - I am looking at CO washing, do you think I would be able to CO every 2-3 days then shampooing once a week x

Yes! Almost everybody who uses conditioner needs to shampoo to clarify once in a while, and whether that means once a week or once a year is entirely up to you.

Cassie 123
September 11th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks a lot Cassie - now I'll have to see what the supplier I found (aromazone) sells or doesn't sell, that's also the limitation I have .... probably there's room for recipe simplification, too.

You're welcome. If you tinker with it and come up with a 100% buildup-free version, please give me the recipe!

Tealpuffin
September 11th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Yes! Almost everybody who uses conditioner needs to shampoo to clarify once in a while, and whether that means once a week or once a year is entirely up to you.

Thank you Cassie! I shall give It a try this week and see how It goes x

Melodere
September 11th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I'm behind, but I haven't noticed a difference with heat styling... but my hair rarely held a curl that way anyway. No-heat has worked so much better anyway for me, and that hasn't changed with going CO.

Having struggled with grease at first, wanted to remind the girls who are still getting greasy hair to use a TON of conditioner. That was my problem. I put on plenty and really massage/scrub it in like I would shampoo. I work out 5x a week, and still don't use anything bot COW every 2 weeks or so.

MidnightStar
September 11th, 2011, 03:17 PM
All right, ladies (and gents!), I'm having a CO-issue. Try as I might, I just cannot get oil-based deep treatments out of my length by CO alone. I usually end up having to shampoo my length, which even with SLS-free I don't like doing. I NEVER have an issue getting the treatment out of my scalp and roots. Since everyone says how well CO works for this, I'm thinking I must just be doing it wrong. :)
Here's what I do:
I get a good palmful of conditioner (currently VO5 tea therapy vanilla mint or Giovanni tea tree), rub it into my scalp, and then trail it down the length, sometimes with some additional conditioner if I need it. I then quickly duck my head under the water and "lather" my scalp and length. Then I leave it on for several minutes and rinse well, and repeat.
Obviously this is not working. It works well enough to clean my hair (without doing it twice), so there must be something I am missing? Please help a total DT-CO-noob! :D

GRU
September 11th, 2011, 05:09 PM
MidnightStar -- have you tried combing the conditioner through your length? how about a second CO-wash after rinsing out the first?

Macaroni
September 11th, 2011, 05:19 PM
MidnightStar,

Try co-ing your length first. Slather on the conditioner to your length, add a little water, manipulate the length gently and leave it be for a few minutes. Rinse and then co your scalp and length.

FWIW, I use a little coconut oil and castor oil treatment on my length before co-ing and it only takes one co wash to get it all out of my hair.

gazelle
September 12th, 2011, 06:27 AM
All right, ladies (and gents!), I'm having a CO-issue. Try as I might, I just cannot get oil-based deep treatments out of my length by CO alone. I usually end up having to shampoo my length, which even with SLS-free I don't like doing. I NEVER have an issue getting the treatment out of my scalp and roots. Since everyone says how well CO works for this, I'm thinking I must just be doing it wrong. :)
Here's what I do:
I get a good palmful of conditioner (currently VO5 tea therapy vanilla mint or Giovanni tea tree), rub it into my scalp, and then trail it down the length, sometimes with some additional conditioner if I need it. I then quickly duck my head under the water and "lather" my scalp and length. Then I leave it on for several minutes and rinse well, and repeat.
Obviously this is not working. It works well enough to clean my hair (without doing it twice), so there must be something I am missing? Please help a total DT-CO-noob! :D

I was able to remove the oil treatment by double CO wash. First I let the conditioner wait on my hair for 20 min, before I go to bathroom, with a cap on my head. When I go to showering, I rinse it and repeat the regular CO washing in bathroom, with diluted conditioner. Hope this helps:)

Tealpuffin
September 12th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I find my hair is less greasy if I do the length then the scalp and I also water down the conditioner x

WickedLady
September 12th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I'm going to give Yes to Carrots a try tonight see how i like it.

Dogbones
September 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I would try co but I think i need shampoo cuz of my scalp it needs to be clean ya kno?

Dogbones
September 12th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I'm going to give Yes to Carrots a try tonight see how i like it.

i'd be a little worried about the keratin found in carrots leaving a protein residue foreign to the molecular content found on the outside of each hair strand.

WickedLady
September 12th, 2011, 11:25 AM
i'd be a little worried about the keratin found in carrots leaving a protein residue foreign to the molecular content found on the outside of each hair strand.

It's either that one or yes to tomatoes which one do you think is better? It would be the conditioner only though not the shampoo.

WickedLady
September 12th, 2011, 11:29 AM

I'm not sure i can tell what proteins are in this one:

Yes To Tomatoes Volumizing Conditioner

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride Cetyl Esters, Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Fruit Extract*, Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Fruit Extract*, Chenopodium Quinoa Flower/ Leaf Extract, Ganoderma Lucidum (Mushroom) Extract, Prunus Persicus Nectarina Fruit (Nectarine) Extract*, Capsicum Annuum Extract, Dead Sea Water (Maris Aqua), Maris Limus (Dead Sea Silt) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera)*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Spirulina Maxima Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf (Green Tea) Extract, Algae Extract, Gingko Biloba Leaf Extract, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Punica Granatum Extract, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate

Yes To Tomatoes Volumizing Shampoo

Water (Aqua), Sodium Coco-Sulfate, Decyl Glucoside, Lauryl Glucoside, Dead Sea Water (Maris Aqua), Glyceryl Stearate SE, Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Fruit Extract*, Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Fruit Extract*, Chenopodium Quinoa Flower/Leaf Extract, Ganoderma Lucidum (Mushroom) Extract, Prunus Persicus Nectarina Fruit (Nectarine) Extract*, Capsicum Annuum Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera)*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Spirulina Maxima Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf (Green Tea) Extract, Algae Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Punica Granatum Extract, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate

GRU
September 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I would try co but I think i need shampoo cuz of my scalp it needs to be clean ya kno?

Conditioner cleans the scalp just fine....

What we REALLY need around here is a big ol' can of
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/22586d1215211347-place-sucks-13-816.jpg

MidnightStar
September 12th, 2011, 06:33 PM
MidnightStar -- have you tried combing the conditioner through your length? how about a second CO-wash after rinsing out the first?

MidnightStar,

Try co-ing your length first. Slather on the conditioner to your length, add a little water, manipulate the length gently and leave it be for a few minutes. Rinse and then co your scalp and length.

FWIW, I use a little coconut oil and castor oil treatment on my length before co-ing and it only takes one co wash to get it all out of my hair.

I was able to remove the oil treatment by double CO wash. First I let the conditioner wait on my hair for 20 min, before I go to bathroom, with a cap on my head. When I go to showering, I rinse it and repeat the regular CO washing in bathroom, with diluted conditioner. Hope this helps:)

I find my hair is less greasy if I do the length then the scalp and I also water down the conditioner x

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! My hair is drying and I *think* tonight's CO-wash got everything out - my length feels soft, but not that slippery-soft that would indicate it's still a big ol' ball of grease LOL. I did scalp first but spent more time manipulating my length than I usually do, so I think that's what did it. :)

mallorykay13
September 12th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I CO washed again today for like the 3rd time and got a LATHER going. I was excited!

Cassie 123
September 12th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Conditioner cleans the scalp just fine....

What we REALLY need around here is a big ol' can of
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/22586d1215211347-place-sucks-13-816.jpg

LOL GRU

Have to admit "keratin in carrots" is kinda funny :laugh:

Linika
September 13th, 2011, 02:17 AM
So I got to use my new applicator bottle yesterday when I washed and it was sooo much easier to get the condish everywhere! It made the whole washing routine simpler and faster :) Really great! It also has this funny comb applicator tip that's really neat. I think it would have taken much longer to apply the conditioner if I had used the single tip...

I also tried diluting the condish with water 50/50 instead of 3 parts condish and 1 part water, and the result? Hair is as clean and fluffy and soft as with straight condish! I'm going to try 1 part condish and 3 parts water when I have used up the 50/50 mix I still have left (half of the applicator bottle) :)

Now, if only mum could let me have one wash without interruption I'd be totally happy with my routine!:steam

GRU
September 13th, 2011, 05:40 AM
So I got to use my new applicator bottle yesterday when I washed and it was sooo much easier to get the condish everywhere! It made the whole washing routine simpler and faster :) Really great!

So glad it worked out for you! Easier application, better cleaning, and longer-lasting bottles with the diluting... it's a win-win-win situation all around! :D

MandyBeth
September 13th, 2011, 06:03 AM
If the bottle is half full of a 1 to 1 mix, you can now fill with water, you then have 1 part conditioner to 3 parts water. Sorry, I'm a geek.

GRU
September 13th, 2011, 07:09 AM
If the bottle is half full of a 1 to 1 mix, you can now fill with water, you then have 1 part conditioner to 3 parts water. Sorry, I'm a geek.

But you're OUR geek, and we love you! ;)

MandyBeth
September 13th, 2011, 07:38 AM
But you're OUR geek, and we love you! ;)
Well, I'm half your geek anyway. I don't CO my own hair, EEP! But I'll CO wash the short one here, she approves of the princess hair she gets from it.

GRU
September 13th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Well, I'm half your geek anyway. I don't CO my own hair, EEP! But I'll CO wash the short one here, she approves of the princess hair she gets from it.

You don't have to be a CO-washer to be our resident LHC geek! You're all ours.... All your base are belong to us! ;)

Zenity
September 13th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Excuse my question, but I am reading through this thread and keep noticing the lather thing...

English is not my mother tongue and I would appreciate if any of you had the courtesy of translating that lathering-thing of the conditioner for me as I am totally lost in translation.:confused:

TIA

GRU
September 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Excuse my question, but I am reading through this thread and keep noticing the lather thing...

English is not my mother tongue and I would appreciate if any of you had the courtesy of translating that lathering-thing of the conditioner for me as I am totally lost in translation.:confused:

TIA

Lather is when you "make suds" by rubbing. When you put soap and water on your hands, it "lathers up" into bubbles when you rub them together. Conditioner will do the same thing, but to a lesser extent.

Does that help?

(by the way, I'm totally in awe of our non-native English speakers on this forum -- you guys rock!)

MandyBeth
September 13th, 2011, 02:41 PM
How do you get conditioner to lather? I've never managed that yet.

GRU
September 13th, 2011, 02:46 PM

Add water and rub.... it doesn't get REALLY sudsy like soap or shampoo, but when I rub it on my scalp/hair, it does bubble up a bit.

Might be a partial function of my hair texture, too... your "kitty hair" may not provide enough friction?

MandyBeth
September 13th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Add water and rub.... it doesn't get REALLY sudsy like soap or shampoo, but when I rub it on my scalp/hair, it does bubble up a bit.

Might be a partial function of my hair texture, too... your "kitty hair" may not provide enough friction?
Got me, I don't see any suds when I wash J's hair. Thankfully, as if there were suds, I think I'd have an inside out child trying to avoid the soap in her eyes.

mallorykay13
September 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I don't know how i got the suds... I added water and gave myself a nice scalp massage and it just worked! I looked at my hands and went WHOA. SUDS.

julierockhead
September 13th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I don't know how i got the suds... I added water and gave myself a nice scalp massage and it just worked! I looked at my hands and went WHOA. SUDS.
I know right? First time I COwashed I was like really angry I had been wasting my time shampooing to get my hair clean. And stripping my hair to boot.

Sunshineliz
September 13th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Just a thought....maybe more porous hair that has been shampooed a lot still has a lot of shampoo in it? Like a sponge that takes forever to get all the suds out? Perhaps some people might get "lather" with CO this way, when they've been shampooing before?

I dunno, I just know I'm not really getting anything I'd call a "lather" out of CO either.

nellreno
September 13th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Only certain conditioners actually have lathered up for me. The super cheap Suave ones typically foam up, but something a bit more expensive or thicker doesn't. I haven't noticed a difference in cleanliness between foamy and non-foamy conditioners though.

prairiegirl
September 13th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I've been co washing for past few months now... recently tried wo but I knda fell off that wagon (where is the blushing smilie when I need it?) So back to CO!

Zenity
September 14th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Lather is when you "make suds" by rubbing. When you put soap and water on your hands, it "lathers up" into bubbles when you rub them together. Conditioner will do the same thing, but to a lesser extent.

Does that help?

(by the way, I'm totally in awe of our non-native English speakers on this forum -- you guys rock!)

Thanks! It does help, indeed. :joy:

I will try soon. This winter promises new changes and new routines for my hair (and for my life!);)

sharicat
September 14th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Garnier Fructis strength and shine is such an awesome CO I went and stockpiled it today. UKers, Bodycare have it for £1.35! :)

The Bodyshop hair butter has given me really soft ends, it's lovely. And I've finally found my ideal oils; olive as a pre-wash treatment and jojoba as a daily smoother. Yay! :joy:

Miss Maisie
September 14th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I'm so happy with this method. I never thought it would work on my fine, oily hair. I co wash every day or every other day, and every third or fourth wash usually involves some dilute shampoo on my roots. I've been using my bbb daily, too.

My hair is awesome right now! It's soft to the point of it being difficult to work with now because it slips out of all my updos (arg! Shoulder length hair!). CO has brought out my waves, too!

The best thing it's done for me though is that I don't *have* to wash every day anymore. When I was just using S&C, my hair would get terribly oily and lank within a few hours. I washed my hair about 24 hours ago, and my hair has a lot of body, isn't oily at all (even my bangs), and doesn't smell dirty. I never in a million years expected this method to work for me, but I've been doing it for a few months now, and I love it.

Thanks for all the info on it!!

Linika
September 14th, 2011, 10:25 AM
So glad it worked out for you! Easier application, better cleaning, and longer-lasting bottles with the diluting... it's a win-win-win situation all around! :D

And who says no to win-win-win? Not me, that's for sure :D I have to thank you for bringing the amazing idea of using an aplicator bottle to my attention :)

I really should be able to figure that out myself (with the amount of math I've read so far!:p) but I'm lazy! Thank you though :) Saved me the pain :P

However, apparently when I looked at the bottle a bit closer it looks like it was more like 2/3 condish left o.o

I don't really get my hair to lather when I fist apply it to my scalp and hair, however, after I've let it sit and add some extra water to help loosen everything up before rinsing, I get a nice lather going. It's not the shampoo foam, but I've got lots of litte sudds made up by tiny tiny bubbles :) But the extra water is necissary for me.

I think that the lather depends more on the type of conditioner that one uses, and some on how you use it. I don't really believe in GRU's theory about hair texture, because mine's pretty much an opposite of hers o.o

MidgetKeeper
September 14th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Started CO a couple of weeks ago and it has saved my scalp! I was dealing with dry scalp and flakes, I had never experienced this before. It started about 3 years ago when I moved from TX to New England. I am pretty sure the weather is a huge factor and nothing I tried worked.

I finally got fed up with it and started reading up on hair and found LHC and thanks to this thread my scalp has been saved. I am doing CO for the most part and the occasional WO and the flakes were gone after my second CO wash. So amazing! My hair is looking and feeling great. I especially love that these results are being achieved with a $3 bottle of conditioner, much better then my usual $20 plus bottles of shampoo and conditioner.

GRU
September 14th, 2011, 11:19 AM
And who says no to win-win-win? Not me, that's for sure :D I have to thank you for bringing the amazing idea of using an aplicator bottle to my attention :)

You're very welcome... I have learned SO much here at LHC, and I love being able to "pay it forward" for others! :)

Tealpuffin
September 14th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I am on my 3rd CO wash and I am loving It! At first I wasn't sure as I found my roots were waxy, but I don't have much frizz anymore but I found that my hair is more wavy than curly. I hope I am going to be able to wear my hair naturally.

BTW... question for curly's do BBB'S make curly/wavy hair more frizz or is it best to just leave it? X

Kiwiwi
September 14th, 2011, 04:41 PM
BTW... question for curly's do BBB'S make curly/wavy hair more frizz or is it best to just leave it? X

All kinds of brushing make curlies frizz(ier). (well, 99% of curlies?) Especially dry brushing of course. Wavies however, I'm not sure.

Sunshineliz
September 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM

For wavies--depends on the wavy. Some can brush with no frizz and get smooth waves or even hair that looks mostly straight. Others get poofy, frizzy hair that, granted, does not look like the BOOM! curlies get when they brush.... http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7003