PDA

View Full Version : Most protective bun?

inspiral
April 5th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I just read (in horror) the thread about braids possibly causing damage, and I have been wearing my hair in one or two braids all the time..... during the day and night... oh no!
I'm wondering if any of you long hair experts has noticed a particular bun that protects hair from damage the most?
and whats a comfortable protective bun for night?
longhairblessings:sun:

Anlbe
April 5th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I don't know what it's called but the type of bun which uses a sausage type thing always seemed the safest to me because there is no twisting, to sleep I put it right on top of my head - looks very silly - but also has the benefit of giving nice waves in the morning.

kdaniels8811
April 5th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I wear an orchid bun a LOT, there are instructions in the articles section on how to make one. My ends are securely underneath and it looks pretty and holds like a rock. I wear a hardhat at work, it has to hold!

pdy2kn6
April 5th, 2009, 08:29 AM
what a good thread, it would be good to know a good everyday, most protective bun, ill be keeping my eye on this one....

ShaSha
April 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Here's another one who will keep looking at this thread.

I wear my hair in a bun at night. I used to braid it, but it was always full of tangles in the morning. I thought that normal until I found this place. :o

The bun I wear is secured by a plastic comb, a kind of a cinnamon bun, but I sort of flip it, so that the orginal bottom is up. So far it has lasted all the night, but I don't toss and turn a lot. And the bun is not at my nape, it's more up.

misstwist
April 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM
At night I wear a beebutt bun right on top of my head. I wrap a scrunchie around the base to secure it.

LHGypsyRose
April 5th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I think a braid can be damaging if it is worn for a long period of time with the hair not being properly moisurized or oiled. Due to having it constanly rubbing against your clothing with no give (due to the weight and the confinment of the braid) if this makes any sense. IMO just about any bun would be more protective than a lose braid so long as the ends are gently tucked away. My usual bun is a pony, braided and wraped. Although I also think it would not be a good idea to constantly wear the same up-do day after day as it may cause damage to repeatedly twist and clip in the in the same places.

As for sleeping, I think there will be many different opinions on this, but for me..I simply make sure that my hair is well detangled and slightly oiled before bed, I wear it lose hanging over the side of my bed and I use a satin pillow case. I have found that this seems to be the least damaging way for me scince buns are uncomfortable and braids tend to leave my hair very tangled by morning.

Meli
April 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I find braided buns more protective than twisted or wrapped buns. The pinless braided bun is one of my favourites and very protective - especially if I don't tie off the braid. However, not tieing the braid worked better a few months ago, before I started to trim. My ends are more slippery now, and don't stay without tieing off the braid. Maybe with some more length...

I can't sleep with buns, so braids are my best option. To avoid friction, I put them in satin pouches. That keeps the ends and most of my length well protected during sleep.

LHGypsyRose
April 5th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Inspiral, I would think that Melli's sleeping method for her hair would be best suited for you also, scince you hair doesn't yet have the weight to hold your hair off of the side of your bed while it is down:)

Gothic Lolita
April 5th, 2009, 11:12 AM
That's a greath thread! I'm searching for new buns, since I don't want to continue wearing my cinnabun daily as it gave me breakage on my top layer. But I don't want buns that need a ponytail base.... I'll keep an eye on this thread!

spidermom
April 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I wear a top-of-head ponytail at night. Sometimes I wrap the length around the base of the ponytail and tuck the ends under the scrunchie.

My favorite bun is in my album, called "the bun that stays." It's so comfortable and stays where I put it, unlike other buns that sag and/or twist, then pull. I also wrote a how-to article with pictures about that one. I think it can also be called a double-loop nautilus.

Anje
April 5th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I suspect the most protective bun is the one that you can do well and that stays secure.

That said, I think that for a lot of us, avoiding tight twisting reduces damage, and so does avoiding elastic ties or even scrunchies that put all the weight of the bun on the ponytail neck. I like the wrapped buns (celtic knots and karen lynn knots especially), and Spidermom's bun that stays (which I think is a minimally twisted infinity bun, if I'm doing it right). I do best securing with a single stick, but others might get as good or better protection with U-pins, forks, two sticks, or ficcares.