PDA

View Full Version : Castor oil?

Catladyintown
April 1st, 2008, 08:36 PM
Okay I heard Castor oil is good for your hair. I know it is great for my face. How do you use it on your hair? And why do you use it on your hair? Any recipes and input would be greatly appreciated. Thank Catladyintown

DolphinPrincess
April 1st, 2008, 08:51 PM
I know that some people use it directly on their scalp, as it can encourage hair growth. I used it once, throughout all my hair, and was very sticky and very hard to wash out. Maybe if you mermaid soak, but I'll probably never put it in my hair again.

Delilah
April 1st, 2008, 09:02 PM
The best way I've found to use it is to put it in a small bottle (like a vitamin bottle), add something of a thick-ish consistency like honey, pureed fruit, conditioner, or aloe and shake it well. It is too thick to use on it's own, it is very tough to wash out.

morningstar
April 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
I started a thread about Castor oil and arthritis. I am thinking that Castor oil has many beneficial properties. I am going to mix it up with something to make a skin cream for my legs when they get dry.
As far as hair goes it is quite stiff and waxy feeling but if you cut it with some other oil or use some in a SMT it might be a wonder. Hot oil pack with Castor for example.

lovingmyhair
April 1st, 2008, 10:20 PM
I love castor oil! I never use it straight tho, I usually add it to other carrier oils and also use it in my deep conditioning treatments. My hair always feels so soft and silky with this oil.

Catladyintown
April 1st, 2008, 10:31 PM
Thank you DolphinPrincess. Thanks Delilah do you use it on your scalp? Also do you Rinse it out? Thanks Moringstar I also have arthritis. I should try it out as a hot oil treatment. Thanks Lovingmyhair have your ever tried it as a leave-in? Catladyintown

Delilah
April 1st, 2008, 11:56 PM
Yes, I use it on my scalp. My hair is very fine and fluffy, so if I add anything more than a couple drops to my ends my hair is very weighed down. I deep oil with various oils about twice a week overnight before wash days.

wintersun99
April 2nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
I have heard that castor oil has protein in it? Would it be used to help replace protein in the hair, as well?

spidermom
April 2nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
I just did some research on castor oil and learned that it is best for lubricating purposes as it is not easily absorbed by skin or hair, also great as a purgative (induces vomiting). The bean is rich in protein but unfortunately poisonous. Very little protein is left in the extracted oil, else it would be poisonous also.

wintersun99
April 2nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
thanks Spidermom, I also did a tiny search after seeing this post, just visited wikipedia it's all I had time for, but I didn't see anything to suggest it would be any different then continuing to use EVOO and coconut oil ... so I will stick with what I know my hair likes. take care...

Nynaeve
April 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
I just did some research on castor oil and learned that it is best for lubricating purposes as it is not easily absorbed by skin or hair, also great as a purgative (induces vomiting). The bean is rich in protein but unfortunately poisonous. Very little protein is left in the extracted oil, else it would be poisonous also.

Hmmm, that's pretty interesting. Didnt even think about the possibility of the oil being poisonous, glad it isn't! :D

Patrycja
April 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
I took castor oil when I was a week over due with my middle child.Thanks to the tip from my mother..although it never worked and it tastes horribly!!!!!!!!!!

Sunnie1
April 14th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Well I use castor oil in my hair at least maybe once a month or so. I agree with the other posters it is very sticky. I actually wet my hair and then add the castor oil and a little glycerin together to serve as a humectanct. I have really thick curly hair and it almost appears to make my hair feel thicker. (or could it be just me)..I have heard that its good in aiding growth for hair and eyelashes...I am not sure if that is the case as it has not aided in growing the sides of my hair . I would suggest you only use this in your hair if it is really really dry and you don't mind a gummy head.

Sunnie

mommy2one05
April 14th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Okay I heard Castor oil is good for your hair. I know it is great for my face. How do you use it on your hair? And why do you use it on your hair? Any recipes and input would be greatly appreciated. Thank Catladyintown

how do you use castor oil on your face and what is it supposed to do...just curious

ChloeDharma
April 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM
how do you use castor oil on your face and what is it supposed to do...just curious

I have mixed it with almond oil, massaged it into my face then left on for a while. It's used in the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) for a facewash i think. I just find it nice in winter makes my skin feel soothed.

Sunnie1 i found it seemed to make my hair feel thicker too, plus it really left it smooth after i washed it out, a bit like a good cone product.....thanks for reminding me about doing this :)

LanaMonsoon
April 15th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I've been putting it on my sparse eyebrows to encourage growth. It's too early to tell if it is working. My mom always did "castor oil packs" on my brothers and I when we were sick and it works wonders. It's something that was suggested by Edgar Caycee in one of his readings.

Aljona
April 17th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Castor oil is my favorite oil:) I sometime use it alone and sometimes with other oils, mainly with coconutoil. Its very sticky so mixing it with another lighter oil will make it easier to spread in your hair. I've never had a problem with rinsing it out, but maybe it works different for different people. It even washes easily out with my Indian herb washes.

The benefits that I've had from castor oil are stronger and more moisturised hair. Other oils just seems to sit on top of my hair but castor oil soaks in better.

MountainGypsy
April 17th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I don't like it for my hair but it is great for my lashes. I use it regularly and have noticed that my eyelashes look thicker.

jojo
April 18th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I use Castor oil occasionally.
This is what i do; mix 1 tablespoon of castor oil with 5 of sweet almond or your normal oil, then heat. Mix 2 tablespoons of honey and 3 drops of EO of your choice.

Wet hair and squeeze excess water out, then add to the roots and massage, Comb hair with shower comb, cover with a towel which has been soaked with very hot water and ringed out and leave for at least 30 minutes, longer if you wish.

To wash out, it is important to add poo before any water, to help break up the oils, once poo is all over the hair. rinse with first lukewarm and finally with cold.

It makes my hair extremely soft and washes out quite well. I find it good when hair is looking tired and wont cooperate.

eta-measurements will differ depending on length of hair, so mess about until you find a ratio which works for you

getoffmyskittle
April 19th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I've been using a castor, coconut, and almond oil mix on my scalp recently. I decided to after remembering that my eyelashes became fabulous when I was OCMing with castor oil, but finding out that castor is too thick to put in by itself.

Hayat
April 20th, 2008, 04:21 AM
This might just be the most silly question, but what is castor oil?

I've looked up the word "castor" in my dictionary, and the results I get just do not make sence at all.

However, it sounds to sticky for my hair so I'll stick with my coconut project for now, but it sounds really interesting as for my lashes... :)

IsabelS
April 20th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Castor oil is obtained from the seeds of the plant Ricinus communis. In portuguese we use the word castor to describe an animal so if you have found that word association I bet it wasn't making sense!

Castor oil has many good properties, it's an anti-inflammatory, it helps drawing toxins out of your body and it's said to help make your hair thicker.

My experience with it: applied with a hot pack on my abdomen it really seemed to have some effect on the toxins because my head felt clearer after I used it. I tried using it to wash my face but i have the impression that it made my facial hair(which is dark) thicker and I definitely don't want that so I stopped using it, it did seem to clean my skin rather well though.

Hayat
April 21st, 2008, 05:15 AM
Castor oil is obtained from the seeds of the plant Ricinus communis. In portuguese we use the word castor to describe an animal so if you have found that word association I bet it wasn't making sense!

Castor oil has many good properties, it's an anti-inflammatory, it helps drawing toxins out of your body and it's said to help make your hair thicker.

My experience with it: applied with a hot pack on my abdomen it really seemed to have some effect on the toxins because my head felt clearer after I used it. I tried using it to wash my face but i have the impression that it made my facial hair(which is dark) thicker and I definitely don't want that so I stopped using it, it did seem to clean my skin rather well though.

Thank you very much for your explanation. I sure found an animal in my dictionary, and I was going like... :confused:

Thank you for helping me out! :flower:

Gecko
April 21st, 2008, 05:35 AM
I used a couple of months ago. I think I mixed it with conditioner and put it on after I washed my hair, but it was sticky and hard to get through my hair. It's in many leave in hair products.... I think I'll just save mine for lip balm.

lynnala
April 26th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I've noticed that my hair seems to be getting darker, at first I thought it was the honey rinses I was using, but now I'm thinking it might be the castor oil in my CV Olive Babassu shampoo bar. Has anyone had any experience with castor oil darkening their hair?