PDA

View Full Version : CO washing tip

rose_in_bloom
March 19th, 2009, 10:24 PM
This is something I just started doing in an effort to make my CO washes more cleansing, and it really made a big difference for me...most people probably already know about it, so please forgive my ignorance. :o

Here's what I do: I wet my hair down, slop on a ton of conditioner and massage it into my scalp and hair. After letting it sit for a while, I massage my scalp a second time to loosen up all the gunk (this is the step that made the difference) and then rinse, rinse, and rinse again!

So yeah, that additional scalp massage really helps to make it more effective.

Hope this helps! :)

Erin

Heavenly Locks
March 19th, 2009, 10:26 PM
You're right, one of the mistakes I made at first was not massaging enough. :)

RancheroTheBee
March 20th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I agree. I also find that helped cut down on scalp irritation and any leftover conditioner that wanted to cling on.

Cindi Eponabri
March 20th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Thank you. I haven't tried this yet, but now I know the best way to do it.

This is something I just started doing in an effort to make my CO washes more cleansing, and it really made a big difference for me...most people probably already know about it, so please forgive my ignorance. :o

Here's what I do: I wet my hair down, slop on a ton of conditioner and massage it into my scalp and hair. After letting it sit for a while, I massage my scalp a second time to loosen up all the gunk (this is the step that made the difference) and then rinse, rinse, and rinse again!

So yeah, that additional scalp massage really helps to make it more effective.

Hope this helps! :)

Erin

Aditi
March 20th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Umm..excuse me but i have heard that conditioner should not be applied on scalp and just to clarify i have heard this from professionals :hmm:.

Honey39
March 20th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I usually add water before I do the second massage. But yeah, I agree, this is the critical step that makes CO-washing really work!

I dunno, Aditi, I have been CO-washing for almost a year now, and my hair is thriving. It's the best thing I've ever done, my hair is clean and shiny, and it just loves CO-washing. I use a cheap cone-free conditioner, which works; maybe if you used a heavy cone-laden conditioner it wouldn't be as good for your scalp?

I am wary of what professionals say you should do - giving up shampoo was the BEST thing I ever did, but some professionals woudl say that isn't the 'right' thing to do. But by making this change, I have the best hair I have ever had in forty years :)

Aditi
March 20th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I usually add water before I do the second massage. But yeah, I agree, this is the critical step that makes CO-washing really work!

I dunno, Aditi, I have been CO-washing for almost a year now, and my hair is thriving. It's the best thing I've ever done, my hair is clean and shiny, and it just loves CO-washing. I use a cheap cone-free conditioner, which works; maybe if you used a heavy cone-laden conditioner it wouldn't be as good for your scalp?

I am wary of what professionals say you should do - giving up shampoo was the BEST thing I ever did, but some professionals woudl say that isn't the 'right' thing to do. But by making this change, I have the best hair I have ever had in forty years :)
How can i find out whether my conditioner is heavy on cone?

karli
March 20th, 2009, 03:43 AM
How can i find out whether my conditioner is heavy on cone?

First you have to recognize the cones, most of them(all of them?) end with "cone", like dimeticone, amodimeticone etc.
Then you can look on how high they are on the inci-list, if it begins with a cone, thereīs a lot of it.

I think itīs easiest not to use any cones at all with co. Then I donīt have to bother with clearfying.

Whether itīs good for the scalp, I donīt know. For me, it means less flakiness and thatīs good!

Jessikinz
March 20th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Very interesting, I'm going to try this tip on my wash day. Thanks for posting your tip!

Aisha25
March 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Umm..excuse me but i have heard that conditioner should not be applied on scalp and just to clarify i have heard this from professionals :hmm:.
Its true for some people if they get conditioner on the scalp hair will fall in large amounts but some people need it as it makes it safer then using harsh shampoos. It really depends on the persons' scalp and if there sensitive to conditioners;)

InTheCity
March 20th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I also read that conditioner should only be applied to the legnth, not the scalp, as it can clog up the scalp and pores/follicles.

I guess its all about rinsing it out very well.

SolSara
March 20th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I also read that conditioner should only be applied to the legnth, not the scalp, as it can clog up the scalp and pores/follicles.

I guess its all about rinsing it out very well.

Yes, if it has 'cones or especially some sort of mineral oil (paraffin liqidium the most common) it might clog the pores. Just as theese ingredients can clog pores on the skin. But a light conefree condish that is rinsed out well probably won't clog anything.

This trick is very good for getting clean hair with CO. Since the condish is so gentle, it needs the help of massage to actually get all the dirt out. I find it helpful to put my hair to my scalp coming from under the hair. That way I can make my fingertips touch my scalp and not only massage the hair on top. :)

birthmarkie
March 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Great tip!

As for "professionals," they are probably talking about how to S&C, not CO. I find that if I get conditioner close to my scalp/roots during S&C, then it is not a good thing. However, if I do an actual CO wash, it IS very important to make sure it permeates all the hair and roots, etc.