PDA

View Full Version : Plastic-y feeling hair

Obsidian
December 30th, 2021, 10:25 AM
Quick history of my hair. Currently growing out a buzz, its about 2" long all over. Used a box dye one month ago, just a little lighter blond.
2 weeks ago I used a temporary pink dye, supposed to wash out in 5-10 washes.
After rinsing out the pink, I immediately noticed my hair felt coated. No big deal, most dyes contain conditioning ingredients.
I went about my life, washing every 1-2 days with a sulfate shampoo but the coated feeling persisted. I started trying to remove the pink, using dandruff shampoo and vit c.

The pink is nearly gone but my hair still feels coated.
I've used clarifying shampoo, my harsh prell, multiple rounds of vit c which works as a chelator. I'm at a loss, any ideas.on things to try to remove this coated feeling? My hair doesn't like conditioners and thats what it feels like, it gets limp/oily quickly.
My next step is to try baking soda which I hate doing.

Dark40
December 30th, 2021, 01:05 PM
Have you tried a Chelating type of shampoo? I think that's the strongest clarifying shampoo that is out there. Maybe that's what your hair needs to get rid of the coating. Since you have fine hair as I can see as your type with having 2b/2c.

Obsidian
December 30th, 2021, 03:44 PM
I haven't, unfortunately I can't find proper chelating shmpoo here. I really need to order a bottle

Kathie
December 30th, 2021, 05:52 PM
Is it possible that the feeling will go once all the pink is gone? Someone else that uses deposit dye might be able to chime in here....

Im just thinking that the feeling started when you added the pink. Its still pink and it still feels the same. So maybe with time the feeling will wash away with the pink.

It seems that you might be keen to get rid of the plastic feeling ASAP though...

Aunt Rapunzel
December 30th, 2021, 07:26 PM
Apple cider vinegar may be a good option.

Obsidian
December 30th, 2021, 07:39 PM
@Kathie, I'm beginning to think the pink will never completely fade. Its really faded but hanging in. I do think its the issue and yes, I would like it gone asap but I may just have to deal with it.

@Aunt Rapunzel I can try acv, I have plenty and my hair generally likes it.

Jane99
December 30th, 2021, 07:43 PM
I wonder if your sebum has changed consistency for some reason…. Holiday diet?

Kathie
December 30th, 2021, 10:06 PM
@Kathie, I'm beginning to think the pink will never completely fade. Its really faded but hanging in. I do think its the issue and yes, I would like it gone asap but I may just have to deal with it.

@Aunt Rapunzel I can try acv, I have plenty and my hair generally likes it.

I wonder if a deep conditioning treatment would help. You seem to have tried stripping type treatments. Maybe putting back into your hair might give you a different result. It might actually help to strip the colour out.

My reasoning is that deep conditioning treatments often penetrate hair, so it might help to push the colour out. Also, the pink dye might be more soluble in some sort of oil or conditioning treatment. On top of that, it sounds like your hair might need a conditioning treatment at this stage.

Obsidian
December 31st, 2021, 04:58 PM
I wonder if your sebum has changed consistency for some reason…. Holiday diet?
Sebum seems the same, thin and wet

I wonder if a deep conditioning treatment would help. You seem to have tried stripping type treatments. Maybe putting back into your hair might give you a different result. It might actually help to strip the colour out.

My reasoning is that deep conditioning treatments often penetrate hair, so it might help to push the colour out. Also, the pink dye might be more soluble in some sort of oil or conditioning treatment. On top of that, it sounds like your hair might need a conditioning treatment at this stage.

I can't use conditioner or oils, they cause my SD to flair. Petroleum based oils are all my scalp can tolerate.

Kathie
December 31st, 2021, 05:06 PM
Sebum seems the same, thin and wet

I can't use conditioner or oils, they cause my SD to flair. Petroleum based oils are all my scalp can tolerate.

Oh! Sorry to hear that.

I don't have any experience with petroleum based oils or SD :shrug: