PDA

View Full Version : Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

neko_kawaii
November 18th, 2020, 02:11 PM
I often take showers without washing my hair and just put it in a cap, but I dont think I've ever had a reason to avoid taking a shower even though I wanted to wash my hair. It seems a lot easier to just take the shower since it doesnt take long to dry my body.

I think if I had to wash my hair without taking a shower I would get in the tub and pour water over my head using a bowl. Or use a big basin or plastic tub so there was no drain to get hair stuck in, lean over that sideways I guess or as straight up and down as you can when leaning over a bucket and pour water from a bowl. It sounds really difficult to me compared to getting in the bath or shower, but I can see how someone with a disability perhaps might need or want to avoid the shower.

For something like a multi-step deep treatment (i.e. gelatin followed by conditioner with 20 minutes wait periods between rinsing) why take a shower twice or sit around shivering? Though, if you have a sauna, that would be a divine way to spend the waiting time and it may never have occurred to you that others could not also indulge that way.

Plenty of other odd situations crop up from time to time that necessitate hair washing when a shower is not warranted. Add to life-can-be-crazy, for me washing my hair is the only thing that will halt follicle pain, so a random mid-day wash is sometimes in order.

Not everyone has unlimited water supplies and washing bent over the tub or sink or bucket uses significantly less water than a shower.

Bri-Chan
November 18th, 2020, 03:32 PM
Bri, here it’s sold everywhere, next to the “head and shoulders” anti-dandruff shampoo. I prefer this one because it doesn’t tingle my head so much and seems to work better at keeping the situation under control.
Oh! I did a research and it seems you can find it here in places/online shops that sell medicines.

My dandruff is triggered more by my scalp sensitivity to harsh chemicals, stress and sudden weather changes than anything else.
As such, I don't find much relief in medicated products, most of the time a warm oil treatment and a massage is enough to shed the flakey skin and start over with a clean scalp.
My scalp is very sensitive to mechanical manipulations. But, I haven't tried a warm oil treatment... I'll try next time.

MusicalSpoons
November 18th, 2020, 03:51 PM
When I pre-poo DC I wet my hair in the sink and condition that way, then shower and wash my hair later on. If I could wash then DC (my scalp does not like to be wet for that long, so I only wet and condition my ponytail) I would still have to - well, very strongly prefer to - rinse the right way up and detangle the right way up under the shower.

If I need to wash without taking a shower it's for a scalp wash - sometimes I do it in the shower for convenience and sometimes separately, depends on the exact situation. On the rare occasion I've needed to wet and condition my ends that's been done in the sink.

Before, when I wasn't worried about tangles, I would reasonably often wash my hair upside-down over the bathtub, kneeling down by the side of it with my head and arms leaning over into it. It was quite good for thorough shampooing of the scalp, but now I know my hair better :lol:

Not everyone has unlimited water supplies and washing bent over the tub or sink or bucket uses significantly less water than a shower.

Very good point, I hadn't thought of that. For very cursory scalp washes (for the sole purpose of looking presentable, not a thorough cleaning wash) I used to be able to do it with about 500ml water with a jug over the sink. Even a more thorough scalp wash uses much less water with a bowl and jug over the bathtub than in the shower; I was shocked when I first tried it. Unfortunately it kills my arms so in the shower tends to be more energy-efficient for me, ironic as it's completely the opposite for water usage.

enting
November 18th, 2020, 06:56 PM
I feel more weight when I wash with my hair behind me than when I wash it flipped forward in front of me. Even so my neck doesn't much appreciate it. I have cervical spinal damage though, so that's a contributing factor.
I've given passing thought to washing the length in a bowl on the table and just doing a scalp wash in the shower. I don't know if I'm going to do it, but I might.
Our tub/shower also doesn't drain very well so by the end of the shower I'm standing several inches deep in water. I don't want to get to the point where my ends when bent forward are drifting in the shower runoff at the bottom of the tub. :tmi:

ynne
November 18th, 2020, 08:48 PM
For something like a multi-step deep treatment (i.e. gelatin followed by conditioner with 20 minutes wait periods between rinsing) why take a shower twice or sit around shivering? Though, if you have a sauna, that would be a divine way to spend the waiting time and it may never have occurred to you that others could not also indulge that way.

Plenty of other odd situations crop up from time to time that necessitate hair washing when a shower is not warranted. Add to life-can-be-crazy, for me washing my hair is the only thing that will halt follicle pain, so a random mid-day wash is sometimes in order.

My hair is nowhere near as long, but... considering how long my regular hair washing process takes at the moment, I can't imagine doing it all during a shower. I also often do mid-day wash because I want the hair to dry fully before sleep. To add a few more possible reasons, it takes several products that wouldn't all fit on the edge of our bathtub. And personally I also can't stand the feeling of wet hair crawling over my body, especially loose hair that falls out during washing. :/

wo
November 19th, 2020, 01:15 PM
Is there anything damaging about lightly wetting my hair every day with a conditioner/water mix in a squirt bottle? I know sometimes I've heard it's best not to get hair wet every day, but it gets so dry in the winter and that doesn't seem good either. What do you guys think?

MusicalSpoons
November 19th, 2020, 02:48 PM
Is there anything damaging about lightly wetting my hair every day with a conditioner/water mix in a squirt bottle? I know sometimes I've heard it's best not to get hair wet every day, but it gets so dry in the winter and that doesn't seem good either. What do you guys think?

I assume 'lightly wetting' means it dries fairly quickly? If so, then no I can't see that being damaging. It may not even get wet enough to swell the hair (which is one main factor in contributing to damage from wetting/drying).

Finda
November 19th, 2020, 04:17 PM
I often take showers without washing my hair and just put it in a cap, but I dont think I've ever had a reason to avoid taking a shower even though I wanted to wash my hair. It seems a lot easier to just take the shower since it doesnt take long to dry my body.

I think if I had to wash my hair without taking a shower I would get in the tub and pour water over my head using a bowl. Or use a big basin or plastic tub so there was no drain to get hair stuck in, lean over that sideways I guess or as straight up and down as you can when leaning over a bucket and pour water from a bowl. It sounds really difficult to me compared to getting in the bath or shower, but I can see how someone with a disability perhaps might need or want to avoid the shower.

I was thinking the exact same sentence just before I read your comment^^ I tried washing my hair upside down over the tub only twice, maybe three times in my entire life. Every time it was a disaster, because I never managed to wet my hair thoroughly and as a consequence wasn't able to distribute the shampoo evenly. When I was done my hair was one big tangle and the bathroom was flooded ;-)
So I adapted my hair washing process in such way that I can do everything in a single shower. Because yes, waiting wet for the hair mask to wash out and taking two showers in a row got a bit annoying as well...;-)

Very good point, I hadn't thought of that. For very cursory scalp washes (for the sole purpose of looking presentable, not a thorough cleaning wash) I used to be able to do it with about 500ml water with a jug over the sink. Even a more thorough scalp wash uses much less water with a bowl and jug over the bathtub than in the shower; I was shocked when I first tried it. Unfortunately it kills my arms so in the shower tends to be more energy-efficient for me, ironic as it's completely the opposite for water usage.

In the past I experimented with soap for a while. Because the water in my area is so hard, i filled distilled water in three 1.5 l bottles and took them in the shower with me to wash my hair. That was the only water I used. I was pretty flabbergasted it's possible to wash your hair with that little water. And with so little water pressure. The results were pretty amazing, but In the end laziness won out and I went back to shampoo. Also, I just love to stand with my head underneath a running shower and I missed that ;-)

wo
November 19th, 2020, 06:06 PM
Ok thanks. Yeah it's dry within maybe 10 minutes.

Bonsai
November 19th, 2020, 10:04 PM
Ok thanks. Yeah it's dry within maybe 10 minutes.

I made it from years - I can't brush my hair, when it is dry :rolleyes: . I never saw anything wrong from that reason...

Sarahlabyrinth
November 20th, 2020, 01:47 AM

I lightly dampen mine each morning before detangling, and it doesn't seem to mind. It's just enough so it feels damp but not enough that it looks wet.

wo
November 20th, 2020, 02:25 PM
Ok thanks, that's reassuring to hear from someone with such long and nice hair!

Dark40
November 20th, 2020, 03:37 PM

No, I agree what MusicalSpoons said. lightly wetting your hair everyday won't damage your hair. They have people on here that do water only rinses daily, and it doesn't damage their hair. Yeah, I know what you mean about having dry hair during the winter months. Mine gets dry too doing that time, and when it does after every wash I apply a cream or an oil and that usually helps my dry hair during winter months.

Dark40
November 20th, 2020, 03:41 PM

I prefer to wash my hair in the shower but for me it really don't matter with MBL hair. I just enjoy the sensational feeling of the shower more than the sink, and washing it forward. Plus, when it I wash it forward it always leads to lots of tangles when I'm detangling to apply my other hair products. But that is a good point though. Everybody has unlimited water supplies and washing bent over the tub or sink or bucket use significantly less water than a shower.

lapushka
November 20th, 2020, 04:30 PM

Just lightly "misting" it to spruce up the texture, is fine! No worries. I did it a lot when my hair was BSL and it was OK!

Dark40
November 22nd, 2020, 09:00 PM
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me how many inches is a trim?

AmaryllisRed
November 22nd, 2020, 09:14 PM
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me how many inches is a trim?

I'd say anything less than 2" could be considered a trim. More than that is a haircut.
That said, I think it's relative to the length you're starting with. On floor length hair you could probably call it a trim up to 6" or so.

Dark40
November 22nd, 2020, 09:21 PM
I'd say anything less than 2" could be considered a trim. More than that is a haircut.
That said, I think it's relative to the length you're starting with. On floor length hair you could probably call it a trim up to 6" or so.

Ok, I thought so. Thank you for your response. I wasn't sure. Yes, I would also say on floor length hair you could probably call it a trim up to 6" or so too.

Dark40
November 24th, 2020, 03:53 PM
I have a question.....How do you post pictures in your post?

AmaryllisRed
November 24th, 2020, 04:32 PM
I have a question.....How do you post pictures in your post?

How to post a picture in a thread. (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=98776)

Sarahlabyrinth
November 24th, 2020, 04:41 PM
Ok thanks, that's reassuring to hear from someone with such long and nice hair!

Thank you :) :flower:

Dark40
November 24th, 2020, 09:25 PM
How to post a picture in a thread. (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=98776)

Ok, thank you for that information.

Feral_
November 25th, 2020, 05:30 AM
Does anyone know of any UK / Europe suppliers making simple non-fancy acrylic hair sticks? I’ve wooden ones, but I’d like a resin or acrylic stick for when I do a pre-wash oiling and bun it up. When I’ve searched they’re all super fancy with glitter and flowers etc - I really don’t need that. Thanks in advance :flower:

KokoroDragon
November 25th, 2020, 07:10 AM
I'm thinking about saving my shed hairs in a bundle to donate once I have enough of them. Has anyone done this before? I can't figure out how to start a bundle when I have just a few strands.

MusicalSpoons
November 25th, 2020, 08:39 AM
Does anyone know of any UK / Europe suppliers making simple non-fancy acrylic hair sticks? I’ve wooden ones, but I’d like a resin or acrylic stick for when I do a pre-wash oiling and bun it up. When I’ve searched they’re all super fancy with glitter and flowers etc - I really don’t need that. Thanks in advance :flower:

DragomiraHaarschmuck does acrylic sticks (Germany) https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/DragomiraHaarschmuck

PerfumeCollectors in the UK has just reopened their shop https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/PerfumeCollectors

I think most acrylics are fancy to a degree by default though, the only plain ones tend to be clear - other than being waterproof, a huge reason for their popularity is the wide range of colours and colour combinations and patterns.

Though using wooden sticks when your hair is oiled should be good for the sticks ;) but having waterproof sticks is incredibly useful.

(There's also eBay for very cheap, simple, hard plastic sticks, but they come with the usual risk of not being completely smooth and not knowing how sturdy they are.)

Finda
November 25th, 2020, 09:39 AM

I second Dragomira. She does custom orders when you contact her via etsy or email. She offers differently shaped sticks in a color called "crystal clear". They appear glass like and look pretty no nonsense.Or you could ask her whether she has any other plain colors.

Feral_
November 25th, 2020, 11:55 AM
DragomiraHaarschmuck does acrylic sticks (Germany) https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/DragomiraHaarschmuck

PerfumeCollectors in the UK has just reopened their shop https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/PerfumeCollectors

I think most acrylics are fancy to a degree by default though, the only plain ones tend to be clear - other than being waterproof, a huge reason for their popularity is the wide range of colours and colour combinations and patterns.

Though using wooden sticks when your hair is oiled should be good for the sticks ;) but having waterproof sticks is incredibly useful.

(There's also eBay for very cheap, simple, hard plastic sticks, but they come with the usual risk of not being completely smooth and not knowing how sturdy they are.)

Thanks for those links, perfect. I do oil my wooden hair sticks with mineral oil, it was more if the oil wearing it in a bun made them a bit patchy that I was concerned about :)

I second Dragomira. She does custom orders when you contact her via etsy or email. She offers differently shaped sticks in a color called "crystal clear". They appear glass like and look pretty no nonsense.Or you could ask her whether she has any other plain colors.

They sound just what I’m after, thank you :)

ynne
November 26th, 2020, 07:44 AM
I know you already got some answers, but if it helps in future – I collect European hairtoy makers here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=152843)! (Not all of them specialize in just one material so I don't list it for all of them.)

Feral_
November 26th, 2020, 08:22 AM
I know you already got some answers, but if it helps in future – I collect European hairtoy makers here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=152843)! (Not all of them specialize in just one material so I don't list it for all of them.)

Oh thank you Ynne I’d forgotten about that thread.

Lady Stardust
November 26th, 2020, 09:46 AM
Feral_ there’s also Long Haired Jewels. They sell imported hairsticks. I don’t think they have much in the way of new stock but I bought an acrylic Ketylo to use with wet or oiled hair. They also sell Dymondwood, which apparently can be used on damp hair (and I have one of those too, but have only used it on dry hair).
http://www.longhairedjewels.com/

MusicalSpoons
November 26th, 2020, 10:01 AM
Feral_ there’s also Long Haired Jewels. They sell imported hairsticks. I don’t think they have much in the way of new stock but I bought an acrylic Ketylo to use with wet or oiled hair. They also sell Dymondwood, which apparently can be used on damp hair (and I have one of those too, but have only used it on dry hair).

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about acrylic Ketylos!

You could also put out an ISO on the swap board, as I know lots of European members buy from worldwide makers, see if anyone has an acrylic the right length they don't use any more.

Feral_
November 26th, 2020, 10:56 AM

Thank you! I’ve saved the details for that as there’s some nice ones there. I notice they’re wavy, does that affect how they stay in the hair? Only had straight ones up til now.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about acrylic Ketylos!

You could also put out an ISO on the swap board, as I know lots of European members buy from worldwide makers, see if anyone has an acrylic the right length they don't use any more.

Thanks Spoons I will check out the swap board - forgive my ignorance - is ISO an acronym for ‘in search of’ ?

MusicalSpoons
November 26th, 2020, 12:28 PM
Thank you! I’ve saved the details for that as there’s some nice ones there. I notice they’re wavy, does that affect how they stay in the hair? Only had straight ones up til now.

Thanks Spoons I will check out the swap board - forgive my ignorance - is ISO an acronym for ‘in search of’ ?

Yup :)

Most people find the corkscrew wave in the middle of a Ketylo means it holds better than a straight stick. They were the first type of hairtoy I could get to hold all day while I was learning how to do buns that work with my hair (and it was quite slippery back then too).

Lady Stardust
November 26th, 2020, 02:10 PM

Yup :)

Most people find the corkscrew wave in the middle of a Ketylo means it holds better than a straight stick. They were the first type of hairtoy I could get to hold all day while I was learning how to do buns that work with my hair (and it was quite slippery back then too).

Yes they have a reputation for good holding power. I like my Ketylos a lot, they hold well and they’re light and comfortable.

barnet_fair
November 27th, 2020, 12:26 PM
I use Dymondwood Ketylos on wet hair and they're absolutely fine. I even keep one in the bathroom and it seems not to mind a humid environment. Seconding the recommendation for Long Haired Jewels. Hope you find what you're looking for, Feral_. :flower:

Feral_
November 27th, 2020, 12:34 PM
I use Dymondwood Ketylos on wet hair and they're absolutely fine. I even keep one in the bathroom and it seems not to mind a humid environment. Seconding the recommendation for Long Haired Jewels. Hope you find what you're looking for, Feral_. :flower:

Thanks! I’ve ordered one from DragomiraHaarschmuck so I hope that’s suitable. So many folk, including you, have been helpful with replies, it’s much appreciated :flowers:

Finda
November 27th, 2020, 02:45 PM
Feral So what color did you go for?^^

Feral_
November 28th, 2020, 05:14 AM
Feral So what color did you go for?^^

I identified with the name, it’s called Golden Fossil :lol: Black with some muted gold and silver flecks in. I’m looking forward to trying it!

Finda
November 28th, 2020, 12:14 PM
I identified with the name, it’s called Golden Fossil :lol: Black with some muted gold and silver flecks in. I’m looking forward to trying it!

That's gonna look great in your hair:)

blackgothicdoll
November 28th, 2020, 02:05 PM
I know we had a thread about cultural appropriation and African hairstyles - I don't want to hijack that thread but I would like to know if it could possibly offend someone if I were to use chopsticks to hold up my hair? I really like the look and designs of decorative chopsticks, but I obviously have zero Asian heritage that I know of, and wouldn't want to contribute to the problem of cultural appropriation.

C_Bookworm
November 28th, 2020, 03:48 PM
I know we had a thread about cultural appropriation and African hairstyles - I don't want to hijack that thread but I would like to know if it could possibly offend someone if I were to use chopsticks to hold up my hair? I really like the look and designs of decorative chopsticks, but I obviously have zero Asian heritage that I know of, and wouldn't want to contribute to the problem of cultural appropriation.

:shrug: It’s just an eating utensil, nothing anyone should get triggered about. At most, you might get a weird look, the same way you would if you made a bun and shoved a spoon in to hold it. I use chopsticks in my hair, both from my culture and other Asian cultures. I’ve never heard any objections about it.

Lucy McLucyFace
November 28th, 2020, 03:58 PM

I get the American idea behind not wanting to hurt black people because of their history of slavery and the very recent segregation but China is easily the single most powerful country in the world. I don't think there's a thing you can do to hurt them even if you wanted to

Kat
November 28th, 2020, 05:20 PM
I get the American idea behind not wanting to hurt black people because of their history of slavery and the very recent segregation but China is easily the single most powerful country in the world. I don't think there's a thing you can do to hurt them even if you wanted to

OTOH, there is a history in the U.S. of not treating people of various Asian descents well. Much of the issue surrounding cultural appropriation is, as you guessed, about power. In the West, Asians are a minority-- so, not much power. Much of the issue surrounding cultural appropriation is also the idea that Person of {X} Culture is ridiculed for their national food, apparel, traditions, etc.... and then as soon as someone white decides to "adopt" it, all the white person's friends are "Oh that bindi/pho/Day of the Dead celebration is so cool!" (I compare it how, culturally in the U.S., glasses are considered unattractive and those who wear them are made fun of, told to get contacts, etc.... until some "hot" woman puts on a fake pair for funsies and then it's considered stylish and attractive...)

In the case of chopsticks, as someone else pointed out, it might just come out as cultural cluelessness-- the equivalent of using a fork as a hairstick; people might look at you funny for thinking an eating utensil is a hair accessory. It's not among the most egregious of cultural slips, just might come across a little strange.

MusicalSpoons
November 28th, 2020, 05:32 PM

Asian Americans have faced loads of discrimination and racism, as have immigrants of colour to many predominantly white countries. It doesn't (to my knowledge) have roots as far back as enslaving people from Africa, but that doesn't make it better or any less hurtful for the people who experience it.

blackgothicdoll I've seen conflicting social media posts about this, but the only real consensus I've seen is that if you stick chopsticks in your hair as part of an East Asian costume, that's at best silly and at worst offensive. But you would be using them as functional items, and not as part of a costume so it doesn't fall under that. I don't know the answer though and obviously can't speak for people let alone an entire community - and it may differ between countries too.

Are the decorative sticks you have in mind definitely sold as eating utensils? If so, could you modify them (e.g. shorten them) to no longer be actual chopsticks? [Though if anyone knows that that would be offensive, please let me know - as mentioned, I cannot speak for anyone or any culture.]

blackgothicdoll
November 28th, 2020, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the responses. The sticks I've been looking at, either wood or metal, are marketed as eating utensils. In the set below, my plan had been to keep the red and black pairs for my hair, and the other three for eating xD

https://www.etsy.com/listing/677291869/chopstick-gift-set-fancy-wooden-japanese

I've put things like pencils and tools in my hair. A literal spoon would be a stranger option for me, but I'm definitely not above it if that's the closest comparison :o

Lucy McLucyFace
November 29th, 2020, 02:08 AM
Catholic migrants to the US also suffered discrimination, go defend those too.

Bonsai
November 29th, 2020, 06:06 AM
Catholic migrants to the US also suffered discrimination, go defend those too.

Discrimination is funny. For answer "who was discriminated" first we must ask "how long time ago?".

For example everyone know how white people discriminated black people 2 hundreds years ago, but... who remember fact - earlier people from Africa hunted to white people, especial Slavs and Brits (to have Slaves and "exotic" white women in harem).

Lucy McLucyFace
November 29th, 2020, 07:03 AM
Discrimination is funny. For answer "who was discriminated" first we must ask "how long time ago?".

For example everyone know how white people discriminated black people 2 hundreds years ago, but... who remember fact - earlier people from Africa hunted to white people, especial Slavs and Brits (to have Slaves and "exotic" white women in harem).

No point talking about the Arab slave trade which lasted between the middle ages and the last century. To most Americans nothing exists outside of the US

C_Bookworm
November 29th, 2020, 09:46 AM
Ouch, that’s a little harsh. Just because there is a loudly jingoistic group in the US doesn’t mean the majority are insular or short-sighted.

JUJU568
November 29th, 2020, 09:55 AM
Hi, i m posting but really out of your subject of discussion just if some guys or girls wants to talk or helps me about having to tied up my hair sometimes for sport, dance etc for a boy ! and looking a bit "girlish" sometimes if you get it ^^ :) but sorry for those who i 'm really far from your subject :/

Bonsai
November 29th, 2020, 10:07 AM
No point talking about the Arab slave trade which lasted between the middle ages and the last century. To most Americans nothing exists outside of the US

If people in street can attack me "because I racist" (no, I'm not... I just believe if I came to shop FIRST I should something FIRST)... If someone can try hit me, because I wasn't speak English and I didn't know what that guy wanted... it is point to talking.

The most stupid thing is... more often I see racism from black people to white people than from white people to black people. My friends (who was born in Africa, so they are 100% black) see this too.
In my opinion - on world we have 99,9% on normal people who DON'T CARE and 0,1% people who want made storm in glass about everything (from both side - they can discriminated someone because of skin color/sex/anything or they can be aggressive to everyone because they have different skin color/sex/anything and THEY fill worst than every else). And believe me - you can't change my opinion. Eventually I can not speak about that (because I like quiet) and decide you are from that 0,1%.

blackgothicdoll
November 29th, 2020, 10:34 AM
Um....ok. I think my question was answered. Not sure if this thread is the place for this type of debate, don't want to further derail :o

JUJU568
November 29th, 2020, 10:46 AM
If people in street can attack me "because I racist" (no, I'm not... I just believe if I came to shop FIRST I should something FIRST)... If someone can try hit me, because I wasn't speak English and I didn't know what that guy wanted... it is point to talking.

The most stupid thing is... more often I see racism from black people to white people than from white people to black people. My friends (who was born in Africa, so they are 100% black) see this too.
In my opinion - on world we have 99,9% on normal people who DON'T CARE and 0,1% people who want made storm in glass about everything (from both side - they can discriminated someone because of skin color/sex/anything or they can be aggressive to everyone because they have different skin color/sex/anything and THEY fill worst than every else). And believe me - you can't change my opinion. Eventually I can not speak about that (because I like quiet) and decide you are from that 0,1%.

i totaly agree, even tho i m a guy

Chromis
November 29th, 2020, 12:45 PM
Hi, i m posting but really out of your subject of discussion just if some guys or girls wants to talk or helps me about having to tied up my hair sometimes for sport, dance etc for a boy ! and looking a bit "girlish" sometimes if you get it ^^ :) but sorry for those who i 'm really far from your subject :/

Hey, this is the awkward questions thread so now worries about sticking to a topic here :cool:

There are a bunch of threads about masculine hairstyles that might give you some ideas. I'm pretty firmly in the camp of doing whatever you like with your own hair, but if you are looking to go for a "masculine" look I think metal hair toys or blunt wooden hair toys will help. Where I am at least, people tend to associate "chunky, bold" things as looking more masculine. Like think of the difference with necklaces made for men, the links are much larger. I think going for a Viking or Dwarven theme might help give that "manly" impression too. Oooh, also try looking at antler hairtoys.

jane_marie
December 2nd, 2020, 03:13 PM
I heavily oiling my hair the day before I want to wash it... but then the next day comes and I just don't feel like it. So, I put it in my standard cinnamon bun for a day or two or (one time) a week.My hair doesn't seem to mind. In fact, it seems like it might benefit from it.

That said, I'm curious if you guys can think of any negative ramifications of leaving oil on that long.

For what it's worth, it's usually about 2 Tb of oil, applied to my tips and then distributed up to about four inches past my roots. I pre-oil with a mixture of jojoba, argan, olive and JCBO.

I'm careful to avoid my scalp but every once in a while I will do a scalp massage with a mixture of tea tree and peppermint EO mixed into jojoba or argan oil and don't get around to getting it out for a day or two later.

Do you think these two different examples of prolonged oiling could cause me any issues?

elise.autumn
December 2nd, 2020, 03:43 PM
jane I am also interested in this answer. I also heavily oil my hair for sometimes up to 24 hours before washing, including a non trivial amount of tea tree oil on the scalp. I haven't felt any negative ramifications so far.

neko_kawaii
December 2nd, 2020, 03:44 PM
I also sometimes forget I'd oiled and meant to wash my hair for a day or two. *shrug* No issues here.

Jane99
December 2nd, 2020, 04:02 PM
Speculative, but I wonder if hair could become *too* hydrophobic if oil is forgotten on hair too often. Resulting in dry hair

ynne
December 2nd, 2020, 04:48 PM
I sometimes use a significant amount of leave-in oil (I can use a lot of castor oil before it shows), but my hair is high porosity so I think it can take it. As far as I know, some people oil their ends, adding a bit of oil every day, for easier combing etc.? Or as a component of moisturizing routine (between washing, adding a little bit of water + oil to seal it). So I think it's not an issue? The only things I would be careful about are the EOs and how your scalp is reacting to it.

jane_marie
December 2nd, 2020, 05:03 PM
Thank you all for responding! I just wanted to check so stop worrying about it. :)

Jane with a capital J (Why is that funny to me? :lol:) It seems like my hair has become a lot less dry since I started being a bit more apathetic about sticking to a schedule but I've changed so much about my routine over the last 8 months that I can't be sure of the cause.

Jane99
December 2nd, 2020, 09:42 PM
Lowercase j jane, it sounds like benign timeline neglect is working well for you. A good reason to not worry!

Feral_
December 3rd, 2020, 07:33 AM
I heavily oiling my hair the day before I want to wash it... but then the next day comes and I just don't feel like it. So, I put it in my standard cinnamon bun for a day or two or (one time) a week.My hair doesn't seem to mind. In fact, it seems like it might benefit from it.

That said, I'm curious if you guys can think of any negative ramifications of leaving oil on that long.

For what it's worth, it's usually about 2 Tb of oil, applied to my tips and then distributed up to about four inches past my roots. I pre-oil with a mixture of jojoba, argan, olive and JCBO.

I'm careful to avoid my scalp but every once in a while I will do a scalp massage with a mixture of tea tree and peppermint EO mixed into jojoba or argan oil and don't get around to getting it out for a day or two later.

Do you think these two different examples of prolonged oiling could cause me any issues?

Jane_marie I’ve done the same with argan oil on my length and then forgot about it, plaited my hair for bed. The next day I kept my plait in because I went for a run and intended to wash my hair afterwards. Bizarrely when I undid the plait the oil had disappeared into my hair and it was left very soft and shiny, not greasy at all. So I didn’t wash it again lol :shrug:

Dark40
December 3rd, 2020, 09:53 AM
Hey, a question....Can you use Man N Tail Detangling Spray as a leave-in? Because, I've noticed lately as I spray and comb it through my hair it foams up a little just like my Isoplus Wrap Lotion or leave-in conditioner!

catysue
December 3rd, 2020, 10:33 AM
two random questions:

do silicone shampoo brushes/scalp massagers cause manual damage? sometimes when im using mine i feel like it might be, just from the friction?

i've heard of using coconut milk as a hair treatment but i accidentally bought coconut cream. can i use it instead? is it still good for the hair? just more rich? and coconut milk/coconut cream would be more proteiny than hydrating right?

Siv
December 3rd, 2020, 02:37 PM
two random questions:

do silicone shampoo brushes/scalp massagers cause manual damage? sometimes when im using mine i feel like it might be, just from the friction?

i've heard of using coconut milk as a hair treatment but i accidentally bought coconut cream. can i use it instead? is it still good for the hair? just more rich? and coconut milk/coconut cream would be more proteiny than hydrating right?

For me the silicone scalp brush didn't do anything that I didn't already do with my fingers :shrug: if you're not rough with it I think you're fine

Coconut milk has less fat than coconut cream so the cream is heavier. Whether you prefer the milk, the cream or the oil is a matter of how heavy you prefer your products to be. More fat = more slip, but also more greasiness :p

jane_marie
December 4th, 2020, 07:21 AM
Lowercase j jane, it sounds like benign timeline neglect is working well for you. A good reason to not worry!

Wow, that sounds so much more neutral than calling myself apathetic or lazy. Thanks J​. :)

cat11
December 4th, 2020, 12:29 PM
Hey, a question....Can you use Man N Tail Detangling Spray as a leave-in? Because, I've noticed lately as I spray and comb it through my hair it foams up a little just like my Isoplus Wrap Lotion or leave-in conditioner!

Yes you can, if it works well for you, do it!

Carrie's hair
December 4th, 2020, 01:19 PM
two random questions:

Personally, I don't rub the massager against my skin. I put it to a place and move it without taking it off my skin. Hope this is understandable.

waff
December 4th, 2020, 04:56 PM
two random questions:

I used a silicone scalp massager for 3 years at least and I haven't noticed any damage. I am not rough with it and I try to focus it on the scalp gently. Using with shampoo provides slip which helps it move gently.

I think coconut cream can be used as well since it's a fattier/thicker version of coconut milk. If it's too thick to apply you can dilute it with some water.

Dark40
December 4th, 2020, 07:49 PM
Yes you can, if it works well for you, do it!

Ok, great! Thank you for your response! I will definitely go for it then!

Feral_
December 7th, 2020, 10:52 AM
Will shed hairs fall out irrespective of brushing? I know each hair has its ‘life’ cycle, but can this be accelerated through brushing / combing, or delayed due to not doing that?

KokoroDragon
December 7th, 2020, 01:33 PM
Feral_, my understanding is, if you don't brush your hair the hairs will still come out of the scalp, but may get caught with the other hairs on your head so they won't necessarily fall to the floor. I would think that over-brushing could pull hairs from the follicle before they're ready, but you'd have to be pretty rough with the brush for that to happen. I could also imagine something like tension alopecia happening if your brush put a lot of tension on your hair. But to be honest, I think the people on here tend to use brushes and combs gently, so I don't imagine that being a problem for most of us. The most common negative thing I've heard from brushing is breakage.

lapushka
December 7th, 2020, 02:41 PM
Will shed hairs fall out irrespective of brushing? I know each hair has its ‘life’ cycle, but can this be accelerated through brushing / combing, or delayed due to not doing that?

They will fall out regardless. If you don't brush, and don't get them out, they can cause tangles and knots like you wouldn't believe. It is why I finger detangle (separate strands to get sheds out) every night. But when I get to Sunday, right before the wash, you'd be amazed at what comes out. I use my wet brush dupe to do it, and... thank goodness because it's "in there good".

AmaryllisRed
December 7th, 2020, 07:31 PM
In keeping with the 'shed hairs' theme...

Do shed strands typically take on a different texture than when it's still attached to your head? My strands, while they vary in texture, are generally S-waves, a lot like braid waves. But when I pull the sheds off the shower wall, they're giant bouncy spirals. What gives?

ynne
December 7th, 2020, 07:41 PM
In keeping with the 'shed hairs' theme...

Do shed strands typically take on a different texture than when it's still attached to your head? My strands, while they vary in texture, are generally S-waves, a lot like braid waves. But when I pull the sheds off the shower wall, they're giant bouncy spirals. What gives?

That's interesting! I wouldn't expect such a difference, I don't think they can change texture. Could it be that they are really well moisturized, and/or less weighted down by the rest of the hair, somehow? I would imagine it is still part of your natural texture, just showing at different conditions, just like it was probably bouncier at shorter lengths!

AmaryllisRed
December 7th, 2020, 09:09 PM
That's interesting! I wouldn't expect such a difference, I don't think they can change texture. Could it be that they are really well moisturized, and/or less weighted down by the rest of the hair, somehow? I would imagine it is still part of your natural texture, just showing at different conditions, just like it was probably bouncier at shorter lengths!

Those were kind of my thoughts. They're probably well-moisturized with conditioner and not rinsed since usually sheds come out when I am finger-combing conditioner in. And they don't get towel dried, or flattened in any way.

I have been strongly thinking about trying some curly hair techniques someday when my hair is shorter and this really makes me wonder what I might find.

blackgothicdoll
December 7th, 2020, 09:18 PM
I agree that it's the weight of your hair when still attached to your head, pulling it down. Some of my shed hairs are like compacted pen springs!!! On my head, they hang considerably more into spirals or curls. When my hair was a lot shorter it had far more shrinkage.

AmaryllisRed
December 7th, 2020, 09:21 PM
I agree that it's the weight of your hair when still attached to your head, pulling it down. Some of my shed hairs are like compacted pen springs!!! On my head, they hang considerably more into spirals or curls. When my hair was a lot shorter it had far more shrinkage.

Thanks! It makes sense.

ynne
December 7th, 2020, 11:43 PM
Does anyone know and use Italian haircare brand "Niamh" (link to their website (https://en.niamh-hairconcept.it))? I got a hair mask by them, as a gift, and at first glance the ingredients look good.

Bri-Chan
December 8th, 2020, 04:11 AM
Does anyone know and use Italian haircare brand "Niamh" (link to their website (https://en.niamh-hairconcept.it))? I got a hair mask by them, as a gift, and at first glance the ingredients look good.

It's the first time I see this brand!

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2020, 08:11 AM

[Not heard of it, but in case anyone was wondering, it's pronounced 'Neeve' (a Celtic name).]

jane_marie
December 8th, 2020, 07:57 PM
I have what I would consider very fine and fragile hairs at the nape of my neck. I'm not sure if they have broken off or if they have a very short terminal length but the longest of them only reach APL or so.

https://i.imgur.com/BF1vMi7.jpg?1

Is it normal for these nape hairs to be shorter than everything else?
What should I be doing to protect them?

I have to wear my buns really high to avoid headaches/migraines and they never reach high enough to make it into my bun.

Jane99
December 8th, 2020, 08:09 PM
I have those too jane, but I’ve been noticing MORE lately and I think on me they are breakage from tension on the strands due to the bun placement and changes that happen with head movement. I also like the high buns because the placement is more comfortable for me but as I have only started wearing buns 6 months ago and notice more short hairs, that’s why I think they’re breakage. I don’t know what to do about them except let them grow back

AmaryllisRed
December 8th, 2020, 08:39 PM
I think everyone has those.
I get the WORST tangles at the nape, especially when I wear a braid. I don't know if the tangles are caused by these short, fine (and in my case, curly) hairs OR if they are shorter than the other hair because they get tangled and break off. Or both. Or neither. Clearly I've got a good handle on the situation.

ETA: mine are not from buns since I've always had them and I never wore buns until joining here a few years ago.
I do usually wear my hair up, though, even pre-LHC. I wonder if I have them even when my hair is short and I generally wear it down. I'll have to look at old pics and see if I can see them.

C_Bookworm
December 8th, 2020, 08:40 PM
My nape hairs are shorter and finer, too. I even tried getting one of those covers for my necklaces because I was convinced it was the result of my hairs occasionally tangling around them. Didn’t make a difference :shrug:

jane_marie
December 8th, 2020, 08:49 PM
hmmm... I was considering folding a silk scarf to tie up top like a headband but if those hairs are normal and how they are supposed to be I'd rather not go through the effort of coordinating scarves with my outfits on a daily basis. :lol:

Siv
December 9th, 2020, 03:01 AM
I'm in the high bun short neckhairs club too :) Even if they are breakage I don't really care tbh, I embrace them :lol:

Feral_
December 9th, 2020, 03:25 AM
hmmm... I was considering folding a silk scarf to tie up top like a headband but if those hairs are normal and how they are supposed to be I'd rather not go through the effort of coordinating scarves with my outfits on a daily basis. :lol:

I have those too, and more on the left hand side for some reason, typical asymmetry. I can’t see them so I don’t really mind. I think it’s an excuse to buy more scarves jane_marie :grin: I accidentally coordinated my beanie hat with my dog’s lead the other day!

Bri-Chan
December 9th, 2020, 03:53 AM
Those hair are normal, maybe someone has more of that hair than someone else, but I'm sure it's a common thing.
I have those too. Since always. In the last years, they're longer, tho, and so more visible. And for sure isn't breakage.

Also speaking about bun, I'm experimenting frequent headaches lately. I'm doing the wear it up for a month challenge, for 20 days now. I obviously cannot be 100% sure it's from buns and braids, but I haven't noticed any changes in my routine.
Do you have any tips? I position my buns more or less everywhere.

Lady Stardust
December 9th, 2020, 04:43 AM
Those hair are normal, maybe someone has more of that hair than someone else, but I'm sure it's a common thing.
I have those too. Since always. In the last years, they're longer, tho, and so more visible. And for sure isn't breakage.

Also speaking about bun, I'm experimenting frequent headaches lately. I'm doing the wear it up for a month challenge, for 20 days now. I obviously cannot be 100% sure it's from buns and braids, but I haven't noticed any changes in my routine.
Do you have any tips? I position my buns more or less everywhere.

I’ve started to make my bun in sections and there’s less tension that way. I section off either side at the front and make a bun with what’s left at the back. Then I take each front section and wrap them around the outside of the bun. It feels much more comfortable that way and doesn’t seem to give me headaches.

Amenahh
December 9th, 2020, 06:29 AM
Bri-Chan, I find that either low or very high buns (literally sitting on top of the head) are the most comfy for me. If it's anything in between, it doesn't feel good.

Bri-Chan
December 9th, 2020, 07:49 AM
I’ve started to make my bun in sections and there’s less tension that way. I section off either side at the front and make a bun with what’s left at the back. Then I take each front section and wrap them around the outside of the bun. It feels much more comfortable that way and doesn’t seem to give me headaches.
Interesting! I'll try this tomorrow.

Bri-Chan, I find that either low or very high buns (literally sitting on top of the head) are the most comfy for me. If it's anything in between, it doesn't feel good.

So, my buns often end as low bun, since I make them loose because they pull my hair easily.

AmaryllisRed
December 9th, 2020, 08:10 AM
I looked at old pics and I have the tiny nape hairs even when my hair is shorter and I don't wear it up. So they're just there. :shrug:

enting
December 9th, 2020, 11:15 AM
I've seen some people keep their nape hairs gathered by doing an inverted braid with their nape hair plus a bit more to keep it all together and long enough to go into a ponytail or bun. It looks pretty cool. I haven't tried it myself.

I can say that with wearing headscarves a lot those nape hairs did end up growing longer and often do get into my higher buns. Not necessarily long enough to stay all day, but they're noticeably longer than they used to be. (My hair grows better when covered, I know not everyone's hair does.)

About headaches... could something to do with having your arms up long enough to do an updo every day be contributing? I know that tight neck and shoulder muscles can contribute to headaches. Maybe do a bit of gentle neck and shoulder rolls after finishing putting up your hair?

Otherwise I'd go with Lady Stardust's idea of sectioning buns to balance tension.

Finda
December 9th, 2020, 01:08 PM
I have had that shorter nape hair for as long as I can remember. It used to drive me crazy and for a some time I put it up with barrettes and some hairspray. I wear english braids a lot and I second Amaryllis. The nape hair leads to a lot of tangles.
Additionaly, I have some chin length hair framing my face that also doesn't grow. It looks almost like intentional bangs.

Chromis
December 9th, 2020, 01:20 PM
I've always had those nape hairs too. In the military I used to try hairspray/gelling them to make them go up into the rest because they escape even lower buns. Sometimes I gave up an clipped or shaved them. Shaving them was a very popular option and there used to be older threads here about shaving your nape hairs.

Now I just let them do their thing, but they are annoying since they get tangles and get caught in winter clothing.

lapushka
December 9th, 2020, 03:52 PM
About nape hairs, I think they're just part of wispy hair, that... everyone has all around where hair meets skin, aka your hairline (so yep all around your head). If you have very short hair, you don't tend to notice them at all, and then usually they get shaved down in the back as part of the style.

One fixed style? Only takes one tiny gust of wind and it looks like... the hedge, getting dragged backwards through it? :rolleyes: Yeah. That. :lol: ;)

MusicalSpoons
December 9th, 2020, 04:00 PM
About nape hairs, I think they're just part of wispy hair, that... everyone has all around where hair meets skin, aka your hairline (so yep all around your head). If you have very short hair, you don't tend to notice them at all, and then usually they get shaved down in the back as part of the style.

One fixed style? Only takes one tiny gust of wind and it looks like... the hedge, getting dragged backwards through it? :rolleyes: Yeah. That. :lol: ;)

Exactly this. They can bear the brunt of friction or tangles if you're wearing high-necked or collared tops, or if you're wearing a particularly tangle-prone style, but then all the other wispies elsewhere bear the brunt of being exposed to the elements anyway.

Some have found oiling nape hairs can help, or extra conditioning, or moisturising with leave-ins, but ultimately they do have a shorter terminal length so they're never going to grow as long as the rest of our hair.

Lady Stardust
December 9th, 2020, 04:33 PM
Exactly this. They can bear the brunt of friction or tangles if you're wearing high-necked or collared tops, or if you're wearing a particularly tangle-prone style, but then all the other wispies elsewhere bear the brunt of being exposed to the elements anyway.

Some have found oiling nape hairs can help, or extra conditioning, or moisturising with leave-ins, but ultimately they do have a shorter terminal length so they're never going to grow as long as the rest of our hair.

It’s interesting watching a child’s hair grow and how it evolves. My daughter’s fringe didn’t grow much at all until she was about a year old. Different areas of the scalp seemed to have assigned growing phases.

The other day my daughter, now 5 years old, had her fringe swept back and I could see a tiny layer of hair only 0.5-1 cm long growing from the hairline, underneath the fringe. I think that might grow a bit longer eventually, but will always have a short terminal length.

Bri-Chan
December 9th, 2020, 05:13 PM
About headaches... could something to do with having your arms up long enough to do an updo every day be contributing? I know that tight neck and shoulder muscles can contribute to headaches. Maybe do a bit of gentle neck and shoulder rolls after finishing putting up your hair?

Otherwise I'd go with Lady Stardust's idea of sectioning buns to balance tension.

Oh, I never thought about this.. I think I'm pretty fast in doing my braids and buns but I'll try this too.

BexLocks
December 9th, 2020, 05:38 PM
Oh, I never thought about this.. I think I'm pretty fast in doing my braids and buns but I'll try this too.
I've also found that pins also help distribute the weight much better than sticks or forks and keep headaches at bay. I especially like u-shaped pins for holding buns.

Vernis
December 10th, 2020, 05:18 AM
I have a follow-up question about the hurting-buns. I've noticed now that it's getting colder that my scalp hurts if I'm wearing any buns, or "heavier" hairstyles.
What are your best tips for winter scalp care?

mary_whitney
December 10th, 2020, 07:17 AM
Also on the topic of buns... does anyone know any good french pin/hair fork tutorials for medium length hair? My hair won't quite do a nautilus bun yet, but I can do a basic wrap bun. I'm getting my first hair toy in the mail that's not a scrunchy today and I'm sooo excited.

cat11
December 10th, 2020, 07:47 AM
Also on the topic of buns... does anyone know any good french pin/hair fork tutorials for medium length hair? My hair won't quite do a nautilus bun yet, but I can do a basic wrap bun. I'm getting my first hair toy in the mail that's not a scrunchy today and I'm sooo excited.

Well, I could have swore there was a video about this but I cant find it. The general idea with medium or shorter length hairs that just are long enough to make buns is to use 1 or 2 fingers to make the bun instead of using your whole hand.

On another note, does anyone else relate to feeling like your ends are nicer than the top of your hair? I know people usually complain bout the state of their ends which makes sense, but my ends are really nice compared to my crown hair. I have the halo thing. And definitely just some breakage on the right front edge. And I cant put oil on it to make it nice like my ends so its frustrating to me...

mary_whitney
December 10th, 2020, 07:58 AM
Well, I could have swore there was a video about this but I cant find it. The general idea with medium or shorter length hairs that just are long enough to make buns is to use 1 or 2 fingers to make the bun instead of using your whole hand.

On another note, does anyone else relate to feeling like your ends are nicer than the top of your hair? I know people usually complain bout the state of their ends which makes sense, but my ends are really nice compared to my crown hair. I have the halo thing. And definitely just some breakage on the right front edge. And I cant put oil on it to make it nice like my ends so its frustrating to me...

Thank you! I'll give it a shot - I'm at BSL so theoretically that should work but I can only make it work with the top half of my hair so far.

NO I don't relate but I sure wish I did :). I feel your pain with the halo though. Better nutrition and hair care overall has a new generation of baby hairs growing out of my head that are like 4" long and refuse to be smoothed down.

Ylva
December 10th, 2020, 08:12 AM
I had somewhat of a eureka moment today regarding uncomfortable buns.

For me personally, it seems to be imperative that I keep a very obvious part (in my case a middle part) for buns as well. If I attempt to "hide" or "remove" the part in any way by brushing the hair back, the bun ends up "hanging on the wrong hairs", which results in discomfort.

Of course, a bun can end up uncomfortable for other reasons as well, and many times they do just that for me, but if I start this way, it will surely go wrong.

jane_marie
December 10th, 2020, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all the reassurance on the nape hair issue everyone!

lapushka
December 10th, 2020, 12:06 PM

For me personally, it seems to be imperative that I keep a very obvious part (in my case a middle part) for buns as well. If I attempt to "hide" or "remove" the part in any way by brushing the hair back, the bun ends up "hanging on the wrong hairs", which results in discomfort.

Of course, a bun can end up uncomfortable for other reasons as well, and many times they do just that for me, but if I start this way, it will surely go wrong.

What helps me (no part), is just not comb; just run fingers through, let it fall back down, gather up and bun. Sometimes it still pulls on some odd hair, but that's rare.

Finda
December 10th, 2020, 12:07 PM

Totally. At least, I never have any trouble detangling my ends, while the hair close to my scalp takes forever to conquer.

ynne
December 10th, 2020, 12:20 PM
I know this youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAutumnElve/videos) & this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohzSsbQhJK8). I can also recommend the threads for these lengths, and just use the search function in them, there's a lot of resources! (Specifically APL to BSL (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=170), and updos for hair shorter than BSL (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123749)!)

I've also found that pins also help distribute the weight much better than sticks or forks and keep headaches at bay. I especially like u-shaped pins for holding buns.
How do you get them to hold a bun? Mine just slip out, unlike bobby pins (and of course, spin pins), and if I treat them as a hair fork, they pull a lot...

BexLocks
December 10th, 2020, 12:36 PM
How do you get them to hold a bun? Mine just slip out, unlike bobby pins (and of course, spin pins), and if I treat them as a hair fork, they pull a lot...

For a cinnamon bun type, I wrap the hair into the shape, then I hold the bun with one hand while I place the pins with the other. I put one at the top, bottom, right, and left sides, and then add one or two more if it doesn't feel sturdy. I aim the pins nearly opposite of where the will end up, grab a bit of the bun hair, then rotate the pin back and push it into the base of the bun. Does that make sense? So for the top pin, I aim it upward, grab some hair, then rotate downward and push it in.

mary_whitney
December 10th, 2020, 01:48 PM
I know this youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAutumnElve/videos) & this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohzSsbQhJK8). I can also recommend the threads for these lengths, and just use the search function in them, there's a lot of resources! (Specifically APL to BSL (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=170), and updos for hair shorter than BSL (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123749)!)

Ynne, thanks so much for the links. I'm excited to look through the updos thread :)

Amenahh
December 11th, 2020, 03:47 AM

Yes! It's pretty much the same for me.

cat11
December 11th, 2020, 09:23 AM
Totally. At least, I never have any trouble detangling my ends, while the hair close to my scalp takes forever to conquer.

Yes me too! I think it is all the little hairs, they tangle around the longer ones. I try to go really slow so I don't damage them and prevent them from getting longer.

I wonder if this is a fine hair thing, or a wavy hair thing...I notice we both have fine and wavy hair.

Bri-Chan
December 12th, 2020, 08:50 AM
I recently started using this sulfate-free shampoo, a low poo shampoo. I never had troubles with low poo (with cowash neither) but with this one, my hair seems weighted down easily. Like, I washed it two days ago and since this morning it looks like I should wash tomorrow (I usually go 3 to 5 days without washing it). Not the hair itself, but the scalp. This never happened to me. I have a sensitive scalp and usually like mild shampoo.
I thought it could be because I use coney condotioners. This was never an issue with other low poo or cowash. But could be this the problem this time?
When I woke up today I was supposed to feel like fresh clean hair, but I was tempted to do a scalp only wash instead.

Dark40
December 12th, 2020, 09:52 AM
Hey, I got a question...

Can you deep condition your hair on a daily basis? Because, I've noticed or have some deep conditioners like Pantene Pro-V 3 Minute Daily Deep Conditioner, and I was just wondering if you can deep condition everyday.

Dark40
December 12th, 2020, 09:56 AM
I recently started using this sulfate-free shampoo, a low poo shampoo. I never had troubles with low poo (with cowash neither) but with this one, my hair seems weighted down easily. Like, I washed it two days ago and since this morning it looks like I should wash tomorrow (I usually go 3 to 5 days without washing it). Not the hair itself, but the scalp. This never happened to me. I have a sensitive scalp and usually like mild shampoo.
I thought it could be because I use coney condotioners. This was never an issue with other low poo or cowash. But could be this the problem this time?
When I woke up today I was supposed to feel like fresh clean hair, but I was tempted to do a scalp only wash instead.

Are you putting any other product on your hair? Like, oils, lotions, or creams?

JasminxCat
December 12th, 2020, 12:20 PM
What if my hair does better with sulfate and silicone shampoo/conditioner? It is less weighed down and shinier. But just because it makes it look and feel better doesn't necessarily mean it is healthier this way? Right? Silly question sorry lol

momof3mary
December 12th, 2020, 02:42 PM
What if my hair does better with sulfate and silicone shampoo/conditioner? It is less weighed down and shinier. But just because it makes it look and feel better doesn't necessarily mean it is healthier this way? Right? Silly question sorry lol

I've learned that as long as your hair and scalp like it, then you should stick with it. I have to use sulfates, otherwise my hair falls out which I learned when I went sulfate free in 2016. I will say that I only wash every other day unless I'm particularly oily, then l wash as needed.

MusicalSpoons
December 12th, 2020, 03:00 PM

The whole thing about silicones is more when people use styling products and serums full of cones to make their hair sleek and shiny (especially when they heat-style it) and think that means it's healthy, when it's just covering damage. If you're not actively damaging your hair, and shampoo and conditioner containing sulphates and silicones seem to work best for your hair, then no problem :)

MusicalSpoons
December 12th, 2020, 03:02 PM

Could be due to other ingredients, especially oils, butters, other film-forming agents. It might just not have enough detergent in the formulation and too much of other ingredients to do the job you want it to :shrug:

Kat
December 12th, 2020, 03:16 PM
Hey, I got a question...

Can you deep condition your hair on a daily basis? Because, I've noticed or have some deep conditioners like Pantene Pro-V 3 Minute Daily Deep Conditioner, and I was just wondering if you can deep condition everyday.

Probably simply try it, as it will depend on each person's hair. Some people need heavy conditioners, some don't. Sometimes it depends on texture or "nationality" of hair, sometimes not. My hair would probably tolerate it better than some as it tends to be dry and take heavy conditioning/oiling well, but for some people their hair would be an awful mess with the same treatment.

I also imagine not all "deep conditioners" are made the same. Something advertised to be used daily is likely not as heavy as something advertised to be used occasionally. Honestly, any manufacturer can slap any label they want on their product.

If you're not noticing breakage and such, I don't see why you could assume it's not healthy. Some people's hair likes sulfates and 'cones, and that's okay. Nothing is universally "good" or "bad" for everyone.

Dark40
December 12th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Probably simply try it, as it will depend on each person's hair. Some people need heavy conditioners, some don't. Sometimes it depends on texture or "nationality" of hair, sometimes not. My hair would probably tolerate it better than some as it tends to be dry and take heavy conditioning/oiling well, but for some people their hair would be an awful mess with the same treatment.

I also imagine not all "deep conditioners" are made the same. Something advertised to be used daily is likely not as heavy as something advertised to be used occasionally. Honestly, any manufacturer can slap any label they want on their product.

If you're not noticing breakage and such, I don't see why you could assume it's not healthy. Some people's hair likes sulfates and 'cones, and that's okay. Nothing is universally "good" or "bad" for everyone.

Ok, that is so very true. I will simply try it. I don't think it will hurt. Oh, me and my hair loves heavy thick deep conditioners! Especially, the moisturizing ones like, "Queen Helene Cholesterol and Super Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream." I really love both of those deep conditioners! I've been looking for a really good thick/heavy deep conditioner for my dry hair during the winter months. Because, my hair tends to be a lot drier in the winter months rather than the spring and summer months. Thank you so much for your response!

Bri-Chan
December 12th, 2020, 04:55 PM
Are you putting any other product on your hair? Like, oils, lotions, or creams?
No, just shampoo and conditioner. Pre poo with coconut oil every two weeks but I haven't tried this with this shampoo yet.

Could be due to other ingredients, especially oils, butters, other film-forming agents. It might just not have enough detergent in the formulation and too much of other ingredients to do the job you want it to :shrug:

This is the ingredient's list:
Aqua, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Sodium Chloride, Parfum, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Glycol Distearate, Coconut Acid, Polyquarternium-10, Stearamidopropyl, Dimethylamine, Laureth-4, Disodium EDTA, Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Propylene Glycol, PPG-6. Sodium Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Opuntia Ficus-India Extraxt, Sodium Hydroxide, Coumarin, Linalool

The only oil seems the coconut oil, and my hair usually like it. Maybe it's just not cleanser enough :/ first time it happens!

Dark40
December 12th, 2020, 08:46 PM
No, just shampoo and conditioner. Pre poo with coconut oil every two weeks but I haven't tried this with this shampoo yet.

This is the ingredient's list:
Aqua, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Sodium Chloride, Parfum, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Glycol Distearate, Coconut Acid, Polyquarternium-10, Stearamidopropyl, Dimethylamine, Laureth-4, Disodium EDTA, Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Propylene Glycol, PPG-6. Sodium Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Opuntia Ficus-India Extraxt, Sodium Hydroxide, Coumarin, Linalool

The only oil seems the coconut oil, and my hair usually like it. Maybe it's just not cleanser enough :/ first time it happens!

Ok, it might be the ingredients in the conditioner. But try it and see what happens. Let me know how it turns out.

FaeBroom
December 13th, 2020, 12:12 PM
How many days do you set aside for henna-ing? I have almost APL bleached blonde hair and was thinking I mix the paste early Saturday morning (8am), apply 3-4 hours later (noon), and then wash it out like 4 hours after application (4pm). And then it takes a few days to oxidize, right? I just don't want to mess up and go to work with carrot orange hair and have my coworkers make fun of me.

Also have you has henna stained your bathtub?? I rent and don't want to get in trouble...

FaeBroom
December 13th, 2020, 12:16 PM
typo correction: **Also has henna ever stained your bathtub?? I rent and don't want to get in trouble...

Sorry, I can't edit posts yet and am not a good proof reader :dizzy:

blackgothicdoll
December 13th, 2020, 04:02 PM
Alright now hear me out!!

I use WCC on and off. It's alright I suppose, but have never been crazy great. It mostly helps me detangle.

Previously I used a mask and then a conditioner. Again, pretty good, helped detangle. Last wash I used the same products but swapped the order - conditioner first, then mask. OMG my hair was SOFT!!! Really, really soft. My TT glided right through. Even the next day when I cowashed, it was sooooooo soft. It had never felt this good!!!!!

Can order of products really make that much of difference?

lapushka
December 13th, 2020, 04:12 PM

I use WCC on and off. It's alright I suppose, but have never been crazy great. It mostly helps me detangle.

Previously I used a mask and then a conditioner. Again, pretty good, helped detangle. Last wash I used the same products but swapped the order - conditioner first, then mask. OMG my hair was SOFT!!! Really, really soft. My TT glided right through. Even the next day when I cowashed, it was sooooooo soft. It had never felt this good!!!!!

It depends, often also on the type of conditioner, the type of mask. I have thrown things at my hair in any which order, mask first, conditioner first, two times conditioner, two times mask. Normally if you do WCC the right way, it should come out really nice. But that's it, really, you just have to experiment with it a little.

MusicalSpoons
December 13th, 2020, 04:19 PM

That's brilliant! And yes, the order can make a difference - you've clearly hit on a winning combination and order there! :D

Jane99
December 13th, 2020, 04:29 PM
How many days do you set aside for henna-ing? I have almost APL bleached blonde hair and was thinking I mix the paste early Saturday morning (8am), apply 3-4 hours later (noon), and then wash it out like 4 hours after application (4pm). And then it takes a few days to oxidize, right? I just don't want to mess up and go to work with carrot orange hair and have my coworkers make fun of me.

Also have you has henna stained your bathtub?? I rent and don't want to get in trouble...

I usually henna on a Friday night for the same reason, I don’t want orange hair on Monday! The day after henna is pretty orange. I actually just hennaed on Friday night and I was comfortable enough to go in public today (Sunday) but your factor is the bleached blonde hair which could be pretty orange still on your day 2 which is Monday. I would say it takes 3-7 days to fully oxidize on my hair. YMMV.

Henna does not stain my bathtub or shower walls. I have an old cast iron tub and then fiberglass shower walls.

blackgothicdoll
December 13th, 2020, 04:34 PM
It depends, often also on the type of conditioner, the type of mask. I have thrown things at my hair in any which order, mask first, conditioner first, two times conditioner, two times mask. Normally if you do WCC the right way, it should come out really nice. But that's it, really, you just have to experiment with it a little.

I mean I don't think I've been doing it wrong for years. Or how to even conditioner hair wrong. That's pretty difficult to do wrong lol. This was just an extreme difference, too extreme not to notice.

That's brilliant! And yes, the order can make a difference - you've clearly hit on a winning combination and order there! :D

Oh for sure! Pure probability that these two conditioners in this specific order, out of everything I've tried over YEARS were "it", but I'd better stock up :lol:

ynne
December 14th, 2020, 03:33 PM

It can stain it! Especially if it's an old bathtub that already has damaged surface, and also the spaces between tiles. Make sure to wash it out asap, and cover everything you can with newspapers. :)

C_Bookworm
December 14th, 2020, 05:23 PM
It can stain it! Especially if it's an old bathtub that already has damaged surface, and also the spaces between tiles. Make sure to wash it out asap, and cover everything you can with newspapers. :)

:thumbsup: Great advice! I used to live in a house from the 40s with an old porcelain tub, and I had a time of it, making sure it didn’t get stained! The Manic Panic was more of a struggle than the henna or indigo, but I had to be careful with everything.

Dark40
December 14th, 2020, 06:03 PM
Hey,

I have a question to the first part of my question I had in an earlier post. Does your hair only absorb a certain amount of conditioner or deep conditioner? Because, my mom told me today after I purchased 2 HUGE 5lbs tubs of Queen Helene Hair Conditioning Cream. It's a heavy or thick moisturizing deep conditioner. I honestly don't see the harm in trying to use this deep moisturizing conditioner on a daily basis. I honestly think that my hair will benefit a lot more if I start to use masks and deep conditioners on a daily basis.

blackgothicdoll
December 14th, 2020, 06:51 PM
It is possible for hair to become over moisturized. It will feel gummy, mushy and break easily. You may not want to deep condition every day.

Dark40
December 14th, 2020, 07:47 PM
Yes, that's true that hair can become over moisturized. It can feel gummy, mushy and break easily. Well, I'll balance it out with the protein treatments and moisturizing treatments.

Alexandrina
December 14th, 2020, 08:49 PM
Hey,

I have a question to the first part of my question I had in an earlier post. Does your hair only absorb a certain amount of conditioner or deep conditioner? Because, my mom told me today after I purchased 2 HUGE 5lbs tubs of Queen Helene Hair Conditioning Cream. It's a heavy or thick moisturizing deep conditioner. I honestly don't see the harm in trying to use this deep moisturizing conditioner on a daily basis. I honestly think that my hair will benefit a lot more if I start to use masks and deep conditioners on a daily basis.

Yes, that's true that hair can become over moisturized. It can feel gummy, mushy and break easily. Well, I'll balance it out with the protein treatments and moisturizing treatments.

I dunno, I think applying treatments every single day, even if they are different kinds, would be over doing it.

Alexandrina
December 14th, 2020, 08:51 PM

Oh the newspapers everywhere is especially a good tip!

Dark40
December 14th, 2020, 08:56 PM
I dunno, I think applying treatments every single day, even if they are different kinds, would be over doing it.

Well, i'll try it out for a week, and see what happens. Because, lately since the season has changed my ends have been dry, and I apply oils to them too.

blackgothicdoll
December 15th, 2020, 01:40 AM
Well, i'll try it out for a week, and see what happens. Because, lately since the season has changed my ends have been dry, and I apply oils to them too.

It sounds more likely that you need to clarify.

FaeBroom
December 15th, 2020, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the advice! I shall start collecting newspapers ASAP :cool:

One more question (I didn't realize how many I had until I started asking them). The purpose for hennaing my hair is to grow out my natural color (medium brown) while strengthening my bleach damage to maintain length. Do you think the better route would be to oil my roots, where about an inch or two of my natural color is showing through, so the henna doesn't permeate, or to just do the whole thing so it could possibly blend better for on ombre effect later on?

Dark40
December 15th, 2020, 08:59 AM
It sounds more likely that you need to clarify.

Yeah, you might be right. It has been a while since I've clarified. I'll try that and see what happens. It's been about a month or 2 since I last clarified.

Dark40
December 16th, 2020, 10:37 AM
Hey just a little discussion or a question...

If you've grown up around this person that had brown and red ankle length hair from the time they were 13 up until they've decided to dye their hair a bright red at age 15 or 16, and it was still at ankle length with it being both relaxed and dyed that I would definitely remember that? Because, one day I asked her if it was her that actually had hair that long at our church before, and she said, "No, that wasn't her," and she said, "The longest my hair has ever been was down my back." But I totally don't believe her. Because, down your back can mean anywhere down your back. That could mean Wl, Hl, or TBL, and I'm also remembering her wearing a TBL ponytail at one point as well!

In other words....it sounded like to me in our conversation she did not want to admit it that she can grow extremely long hair, and also couldn't remember how long her own hair was when she was little or younger, and I already knew that she could.

blackgothicdoll
December 16th, 2020, 12:02 PM
Hey just a little discussion or a question...

If you've grown up around this person that had brown and red ankle length hair from the time they were 13 up until they've decided to dye their hair a bright red at age 15 or 16, and it was still at ankle length with it being both relaxed and dyed that I would definitely remember that? Because, one day I asked her if it was her that actually had hair that long at our church before, and she said, "No, that wasn't her," and she said, "The longest my hair has ever been was down my back." But I totally don't believe her. Because, down your back can mean anywhere down your back. That could mean Wl, Hl, or TBL, and I'm also remembering her wearing a TBL ponytail at one point as well!

In other words....it sounded like to me in our conversation she did not want to admit it that she can grow extremely long hair, and also couldn't remember how long her own hair was when she was little or younger, and I already knew that she could.

She would know how long her own hair had been. If it was that long ago you could have easily remembered it wrong. Things often can appear exaggerated in our memories.

Dark40
December 16th, 2020, 01:01 PM
She would know how long her own hair had been. If it was that long ago you could have easily remembered it wrong. Things often can appear exaggerated in our memories.

Yeah, that could be true but I asked her mother one time many years ago, and she didn't even remember how long hair own daughter's hair used to be. She said, "I don't remember," and I'm sure she was the one that was taking care of it, and I was not exaggerating when I saw of this person's hair. Especially, if I've been seeing it for many years.

ynne
December 20th, 2020, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure how to word this question, but I'll try!

People with shoulder+ length hair who wear hair loose: how do you prefer to "arrange" your hair? All hair at the back behind shoulders, split in back and each half pulled to the front, pulled to front on one side only, sectioned so there is some hair in front on both sides but the main bulk is at the back, or just how it naturally falls down over shoulders, or in some other way..? I think there was even a poll about this, I couldn't find it now, though. I'm mostly asking because at this length, letting it fall naturally looks kind of awkward to me, so I've been trying all these options to figure out what I like the most. :)

Bri-Chan
December 20th, 2020, 04:58 PM

People with shoulder+ length hair who wear hair loose: how do you prefer to "arrange" your hair? All hair at the back behind shoulders, split in back and each half pulled to the front, pulled to front on one side only, sectioned so there is some hair in front on both sides but the main bulk is at the back, or just how it naturally falls down over shoulders, or in some other way..? I think there was even a poll about this, I couldn't find it now, though. I'm mostly asking because at this length, letting it fall naturally looks kind of awkward to me, so I've been trying all these options to figure out what I like the most. :)

It depends on what I'm doing. The most comfortable when I'm on the outside and I'm wearing a coat or I'm using public transport is splitting it back and each half pulled to the front. If I'm at home but walking, usually it's completely back. However, when I'm sitting I have some pieces on the front and the main hair on the back.
When I need to look good, I usually leave most of my hair on the back for like 1/2 of it and the rest stays in two sections on the front.

JasminxCat
December 21st, 2020, 12:07 AM
What do you think about S&D? Wouldn't it be a never ending cycle of splits since you're cutting the hair to various lengths little by little each time you do it? Or is that not a problem? Contemplating on doing a S&D but not sure. I don't want it to be something I have to do all the time. And are white dots really an issue? How long so you think a white dot can go before it actually splits? 🤔

Ylva
December 21st, 2020, 05:29 AM
What do you think about S&D? Wouldn't it be a never ending cycle of splits since you're cutting the hair to various lengths little by little each time you do it? Or is that not a problem? Contemplating on doing a S&D but not sure. I don't want it to be something I have to do all the time. And are white dots really an issue? How long so you think a white dot can go before it actually splits? ��

S&D is a useful practice as long as you're using sharp scissors. Personally, I can't really bother with it, as I don't find that my splits travel up the strand at all. We have hairs at various lengths anyway because of their natural shedding and regrowth cycles, so doing S&D with good scissors won't make you get more splits, but if done excessively, it CAN affect the hemline and make it look thinner.

White dots can hang around for quite a while before breaking off, but that's very individual.

Jane99
December 21st, 2020, 06:40 AM
Yes, I think the trick with S&D is not to do it all the time. I S&Ded a lot this past weekend, cutting out several hundred splits at least if not thousands. My hair splits pretty fast so if I did it all the time it would affect length and my hemline. But psychologically it makes my hair *feel* so much healthier and wards off the desire to chop.

My own question:
Do you all do a pre-poo oiling prior to washing with conditioner only? I finally got CO to work for me last week and it was so easy that I am considering doing it on a regular basis now. I have been oiling prior to every wash and I wonder if other also oil prior to CO. Thanks!

Kat
December 21st, 2020, 07:11 AM

Everything in back. As in, out of my way. It's why I almost never wear my hair down-- I just don't have the patience to always be pushing it out of my way, making sure I'm not sitting on it or it's not trapped between me and the back of my chair, having it flying around and catching on everything, etc. (It seems like no matter how long my hair is, it wants to fall in front of my shoulders and I'm always shoving it back.) As the lady said: ain't nobody got time for that, lol.

Kat
December 21st, 2020, 07:13 AM
Yes, I think the trick with S&D is not to do it all the time. I S&Ded a lot this past weekend, cutting out several hundred splits at least if not thousands. My hair splits pretty fast so if I did it all the time it would affect length and my hemline. But psychologically it makes my hair *feel* so much healthier and wards off the desire to chop.

My own question:
Do you all do a pre-poo oiling prior to washing with conditioner only? I finally got CO to work for me last week and it was so easy that I am considering doing it on a regular basis now. I have been oiling prior to every wash and I wonder if other also oil prior to CO. Thanks!

I wouldn't have any qualms about it. I use conditioner to get oil out of my hair when I do a treatment, not shampoo (the conditioner honestly works better, and I can just slap on a bunch of V05 for a few minutes rather than having to shampoo my hair 2-3 times, which probably negates the point of putting oil on), so yep, I'd be fine with it.

JasminxCat
December 21st, 2020, 01:53 PM
Thanks Ylva and Jane99, that makes sense

Jane99
December 21st, 2020, 04:07 PM
Thanks Kat. Yes the conditioner does help with getting oil out. I’ll experiment some more with the CO. In my past experiences with CO my hair was still greasy afterwards. But I have a new technique!

Kat
December 21st, 2020, 05:20 PM
Thanks Kat. Yes the conditioner does help with getting oil out. I’ll experiment some more with the CO. In my past experiences with CO my hair was still greasy afterwards. But I have a new technique!

From the conditioner, or from the oil? (I'm not clear if you mean CO left your hair greasy, or using conditioner to get oil out left your hair greasy.)

I've not had a problem, but I've seen people say you have to use a *lot* of conditioner, and leave it on for several minutes. Not sure if that's your current technique.

I imagine it probably doesn't work for everyone, though.

Jane99
December 21st, 2020, 07:49 PM
From the conditioner, or from the oil? (I'm not clear if you mean CO left your hair greasy, or using conditioner to get oil out left your hair greasy.)

I've not had a problem, but I've seen people say you have to use a *lot* of conditioner, and leave it on for several minutes. Not sure if that's your current technique.

I imagine it probably doesn't work for everyone, though.

I was referring to my hair being greasy after COing without oil prior to figuring out how to do it on my hair (or more specifically, I got it to work once so far). What I did differently this time was I used quite a bit of condish on my scalp and massaged it in pretty thoroughly, then some on the lengths too, and let it set on my hair for the remainder of my shower, maybe 5 or 7 minutes. Massaged the scalp some more and rinsed it out, and voila, clean non greasy hair. One thing I wasn’t sure about was maybe, since I make my own conditioner, the conditioner just was missing something or is too heavy to CO with, but I think it was just the technique I was using that was all wrong (I think I was just doing my lengths and avoiding the scalp or not leaving it on long enough)

I have been doing like a CWC to get the pre-poo oil out of my hair and that works really well too! I use a lot of condish in the first C because I’ve been putting it on dry hair and dry hair just eats up conditioner. It works, though, and saves my toes from getting wrinkly from too long of a shower. Prior to CWC, when I would just WC the oil out, I would sometimes get it, sometimes not, and over the course of a few weeks my hair would need a sulfate shampoo to get all the oil out.

elise.autumn
December 21st, 2020, 08:15 PM

I let it fall naturally behind my shoulders, entirely down my back. Often narrow (but long) sections decide to fall next to my face in front of my shoulders, which is fine unless it gets in the way and I push it back again. My hair really just does what it wants. :D

Kat
December 21st, 2020, 08:51 PM
I was referring to my hair being greasy after COing without oil prior to figuring out how to do it on my hair (or more specifically, I got it to work once so far). What I did differently this time was I used quite a bit of condish on my scalp and massaged it in pretty thoroughly, then some on the lengths too, and let it set on my hair for the remainder of my shower, maybe 5 or 7 minutes. Massaged the scalp some more and rinsed it out, and voila, clean non greasy hair. One thing I wasn’t sure about was maybe, since I make my own conditioner, the conditioner just was missing something or is too heavy to CO with, but I think it was just the technique I was using that was all wrong (I think I was just doing my lengths and avoiding the scalp or not leaving it on long enough)

I have been doing like a CWC to get the pre-poo oil out of my hair and that works really well too! I use a lot of condish in the first C because I’ve been putting it on dry hair and dry hair just eats up conditioner. It works, though, and saves my toes from getting wrinkly from too long of a shower. Prior to CWC, when I would just WC the oil out, I would sometimes get it, sometimes not, and over the course of a few weeks my hair would need a sulfate shampoo to get all the oil out.

Yes, that makes sense. I've used conditioner also on my scalp, and it did seem to work just fine.

Isn't it weird how conditioner does a better job getting oil out than a harsher shampoo? I still haven't figured that out.

ynne
December 21st, 2020, 11:50 PM
Thank you for the replies, Bri, Kat and elise! c: I think I'm closest to Bri in my approach, changing it up a lot. I probably prefer some hair in front, but it kind of does what it wants anyways.

Feral_
December 22nd, 2020, 06:55 AM
Is henna as damaging as other box / hairdresser dyes? I’m not contemplating colouring, I like my hair natural, it’s just a curious question :)

lapushka
December 22nd, 2020, 07:39 AM
Is henna as damaging as other box / hairdresser dyes? I’m not contemplating colouring, I like my hair natural, it’s just a curious question :)

It can be, if you "abuse" it. If you say, bleach then henna, then put a box dye over it. Something like that.

In my short lived experience with henna, bleach and chemical dye, I learned that they don't mix... well. Especially not if you continuously do it without looking back. There might (I didn't say will), might come a time where one time is one time too many.

Henna though, did a number on my hair. I found it was as "rough" for my cuticle (now I have F hair, like baby fine) just the way bleach is. So there is that. Also what your hair is like plays a part, is it F, M/N or C? What's the texture? If on curly hair, that is dry in and of itself and might take differently to henna as far as roughening up the cuticle is concerned.

Kind of depends!

Feral_
December 22nd, 2020, 08:17 AM
It can be, if you "abuse" it. If you say, bleach then henna, then put a box dye over it. Something like that.

In my short lived experience with henna, bleach and chemical dye, I learned that they don't mix... well. Especially not if you continuously do it without looking back. There might (I didn't say will), might come a time where one time is one time too many.

Henna though, did a number on my hair. I found it was as "rough" for my cuticle (now I have F hair, like baby fine) just the way bleach is. So there is that. Also what your hair is like plays a part, is it F, M/N or C? What's the texture? If on curly hair, that is dry in and of itself and might take differently to henna as far as roughening up the cuticle is concerned.

Kind of depends!

Thanks Lapushka for the informed answer! I had no idea hair texture would affect henna. Interesting :thumbsup:

ynne
December 22nd, 2020, 08:59 AM
I would say that generally, no. Especially if it's pure henna. It can actually be fairly protective instead – it coats the hair strand by binding to it, so it can make the individual hairs thicker (for some people that seems to be a temporary effect, for others, me included, it's long-term; I can still find the point where I have henna and where I don't because my hair is thicker to touch, and I last used henna over a year ago) and therefore add volume, too. :)

MusicalSpoons
December 22nd, 2020, 09:03 AM
Was your henna on virgin hair, Lapushka? I wonder if acting like protein perhaps made your hair protein-sensitive.

Feral_ Obviously nothing has the same effect on every single head of hair, but generally people use henna for the colour and for the strengthening/conditioning. It's apparently common for the hair to feel a bit rough for a couple of days afterwards (unless using conditioning ingredients in the henna mix) but it's certainly not supposed to be damaging like box dye or bleach. There may always be exceptions but I guess that's another reason for strand testing!

Feral_
December 22nd, 2020, 10:19 AM
I would say that generally, no. Especially if it's pure henna. It can actually be fairly protective instead – it coats the hair strand by binding to it, so it can make the individual hairs thicker (for some people that seems to be a temporary effect, for others, me included, it's long-term; I can still find the point where I have henna and where I don't because my hair is thicker to touch, and I last used henna over a year ago) and therefore add volume, too. :)

Ah I did not know that about making it thicker, thanks. I had a weird shed hair yesterday - it was quite thin at the tip up to half way, then the rest to the root was about 3 times thicker.. No idea what’s going on there!

Was your henna on virgin hair, Lapushka? I wonder if acting like protein perhaps made your hair protein-sensitive.

Feral_ Obviously nothing has the same effect on every single head of hair, but generally people use henna for the colour and for the strengthening/conditioning. It's apparently common for the hair to feel a bit rough for a couple of days afterwards (unless using conditioning ingredients in the henna mix) but it's certainly not supposed to be damaging like box dye or bleach. There may always be exceptions but I guess that's another reason for strand testing!

I recall I hennaed mine at school when red auburn hair was a thing. It did make my hair shiny, though mine was too dark for any obvious colour enhancement. Didn’t do a strand test - did anyone back then lol.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2020, 03:24 PM

Yes it was.

DropStitches
December 22nd, 2020, 03:54 PM

In my experience, no - quite the opposite, in fact; it seems to make my hair stronger and softer.

I believe it used to be common advice to mix henna with something very acidic, like lemon juice, and I would imagine that the acidic part of the mixture would be drying (particularly if left on for hours and hours).

I mix mine with herbal tea, and find it quite conditioning (oh, I also just do my roots - I don’t know if doing repeated whole-head applications might be more drying?).

lapushka
December 22nd, 2020, 04:00 PM
Guys when I say I have F hair, it is *baby* fine, like 30/34 microns (measured by an old hairdresser), that's fine all right. So me and henna perhaps didn't get along. I'm not saying that it will be the same for you, oh no: YMMV, of course! But that was just my experience. Add to that bleach and some box dye. No wonder my hair got ruined and chemically burnt off.

MusicalSpoons
December 22nd, 2020, 04:07 PM
Guys when I say I have F hair, it is *baby* fine, like 30/34 microns (measured by an old hairdresser), that's fine all right. So me and henna perhaps didn't get along. I'm not saying that it will be the same for you, oh no: YMMV, of course! But that was just my experience. Add to that bleach and some box dye. No wonder my hair got ruined and chemically burnt off.

That's a separate issue though, and you'd expect damage if you're dabbling with bleach and/or box dye. Of course it's really important to know how almost impossible henna is to remove, but in that scenario the henna itself isn't causing the damage, it's the trying to remove it that is :wink:

lapushka
December 22nd, 2020, 04:32 PM
That's a separate issue though, and you'd expect damage if you're dabbling with bleach and/or box dye. Of course it's really important to know how almost impossible henna is to remove, but in that scenario the henna itself isn't causing the damage, it's the trying to remove it that is :wink:

That was just added misery, but rest assured the henna on its own was bad as well. I thought I could "alleviate" it by throwing other stuff on over it, which is why now, I tell people, often in fact, not to mess with things *further* when they start messing with dye (any kind of dye).

Jane99
December 22nd, 2020, 07:50 PM

The application of henna does do some mechanical damage to the hair, “roughs up” the hair. But also the color molecules bind with keratin in the hair. Permanently. So it does some damage but also strengthens. Brushing and washing also cause mechanical damage. I doubt my hair would be in as good of condition as it is without henna. I think few people would say their hair has improved with box dye. Lots of people do henna solely for the conditioning properties. I know after I henna, my hair is freakishly shiny. Still though, I don’t think I would do it if I wasn’t after the color change. And as far as conditioning goes, YMMV as Lapushka has shared

JasminxCat
December 22nd, 2020, 08:17 PM
Why is v05 so cheap if the ingredients claim to be good? 5 essential vitamins, for less than $5? My hair seems to like it but I'm used to paying for more expensive brands. Is it actually good for your hair?

blackgothicdoll
December 22nd, 2020, 09:39 PM
Why is v05 so cheap if the ingredients claim to be good? 5 essential vitamins, for less than $5? My hair seems to like it but I'm used to paying for more expensive brands. Is it actually good for your hair?

The concentration of the essential oils Is important to note IIRC, the oils are extracts and lower than fragrance in the ingredients. That being said, v05 works better for me than the majority of expensive salon shampoos. It's not "bad" for your hair. It's also not a luxury product with concentrated amounts of oils.

JasminxCat
December 22nd, 2020, 09:48 PM
Gotcha. I think it is a good deal, would pay more than $5 for it. Just the whole idea of only paying $5 or less for a bottle of shampoo feels sketchy to me. Thank you

Bonsai
December 23rd, 2020, 12:51 AM
That was just added misery, but rest assured the henna on its own was bad as well. I thought I could "alleviate" it by throwing other stuff on over it, which is why now, I tell people, often in fact, not to mess with things *further* when they start messing with dye (any kind of dye).

I have extra fine hair and I use henna from... 10-15 years. Henna can temporary dry your hair, and that can made damaged.

Usually I made henna with conditioner or after henna, when I "just washed it" (never perfect) I put lots of conditioner on my hair for 30-60 minutes. After that I wash my hair again -they are red, soft, strong.

Liz_H
December 23rd, 2020, 02:26 AM
I usually do mine overnight, letting it dye release on my head. A few spoons of sugar in the mix seems to keep it from dripping. I apply, then put on a plastic shower cap, then cover it with a warm cap. I do put a towel on the pillow, but I've never had any drips on the towel. I apply just before bed. If you did this Friday night, you'd have 2 full days for it to oxidize.

As for the bathtub, it might discolor if the surface is pretty rough. Years of cleaning with abrasive cleanser would do that. Ive never had a problem.

Liz_H
December 23rd, 2020, 03:08 AM
When you CO, do you start with wet or dry hair?

lapushka
December 23rd, 2020, 04:00 AM
I have extra fine hair and I use henna from... 10-15 years. Henna can temporary dry your hair, and that can made damaged.

Usually I made henna with conditioner or after henna, when I "just washed it" (never perfect) I put lots of conditioner on my hair for 30-60 minutes. After that I wash my hair again -they are red, soft, strong.

Yes, that's what I did, but mine remained dry & brittle even after that. Not from one application, no but consecutive ones, now mind you, I did full applications, and often 2 weeks apart. Maybe a little too much? That could have been it. But I was so impatient back then, you know? :o

lapushka
December 23rd, 2020, 04:02 AM

I often see it applied (YT) on wet hair. But I think people that use "regular" conditioner, so not a typical CO-wash use it on dry hair because it works better and you can let it sit better for a while. I think that's also a case of YMMV, you know? :)

Feral_
December 23rd, 2020, 04:03 AM

I used to do it with wet hair.

cat11
December 23rd, 2020, 08:25 AM
Is there really any difference between a mask and a deep conditioner?

lapushka
December 23rd, 2020, 09:48 AM

Nope, they mean one and the same, the "things" that mostly come in a jar/tub.

cat11
December 23rd, 2020, 10:54 AM
Nope, they mean one and the same, the "things" that mostly come in a jar/tub.

That's what I thought just from experience but wanted to ask.. thanks!

oldrocker
December 23rd, 2020, 05:23 PM

of course silly.... Lone Ranger not wear deep conditioner on face (Tonto say)

Liz_H
December 23rd, 2020, 10:12 PM
Dry hair would certainly be a lot easier! I'll try it soon.

I often see it applied (YT) on wet hair. But I think people that use "regular" conditioner, so not a typical CO-wash use it on dry hair because it works better and you can let it sit better for a while. I think that's also a case of YMMV, you know? :)

Dragon
December 24th, 2020, 02:29 AM

I do it on wet hair after giving it a good rinse with warm water.

Liz_H
December 24th, 2020, 05:22 AM
Thanks. Your sig line brings a big smile to my face. All those happy people waving at me!

I do it on wet hair after giving it a good rinse with warm water.

rhosyn_du
December 24th, 2020, 05:07 PM
Any suggestions for non-damaging clips to hold very small amounts of very slippery hair? I have a section of fine, slippery baby hairs over each ear that doesn't grow long enough to go into an updo, and the only thing I've found that holds them are snap clips, but those all have the little rivet at the tip that always snags in my hair and tears it, no matter how careful I am. If I don't clip them with anything, they frizz all over the place and get caught on my glasses.

Bri-Chan
December 24th, 2020, 07:37 PM
Is possible to get some build up also if I'm using sulfates? (I use cones and heavy products in general)

Nightshade
December 24th, 2020, 09:21 PM
Is possible to get some build up also if I'm using sulfates? (I use cones and heavy products in general)

I think it's depend on the type of sulfate and the type of silicone. Some silicones are very light, some are very heavy. Some sulfates are very gentle, and others are more aggressive. If you were using a heavy buildup product and a gentle sulfate like Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, I can imagine it not getting everything off.

Bri-Chan
December 25th, 2020, 03:03 AM
I think it's depend on the type of sulfate and the type of silicone. Some silicones are very light, some are very heavy. Some sulfates are very gentle, and others are more aggressive. If you were using a heavy buildup product and a gentle sulfate like Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, I can imagine it not getting everything off.

The shampoo has sodium laureth sulfate and dimethicone. The conditioner has amodimethicone.

lapushka
December 25th, 2020, 08:32 AM
Any suggestions for non-damaging clips to hold very small amounts of very slippery hair? I have a section of fine, slippery baby hairs over each ear that doesn't grow long enough to go into an updo, and the only thing I've found that holds them are snap clips, but those all have the little rivet at the tip that always snags in my hair and tears it, no matter how careful I am. If I don't clip them with anything, they frizz all over the place and get caught on my glasses.

There are those clips, often decorated, that are like the tinier duck bill clips (or crocodile clips). I'd try those. And better yet, you can get them decorated. :D

rhosyn_du
December 25th, 2020, 07:52 PM
There are those clips, often decorated, that are like the tinier duck bill clips (or crocodile clips). I'd try those. And better yet, you can get them decorated. :D

I've tried those, but there's too much space at the hinge end. The hairs around my face are super fine and not very dense, so clips with any gap at all between the two sides leave room for the little baby hairs to slide right out. The same thing happens with bobby pins.

Nightshade
December 25th, 2020, 09:05 PM
The shampoo has sodium laureth sulfate and dimethicone. The conditioner has amodimethicone.

Going off of this list of silicones and buildup prevention (https://nightblooming.com/2018/10/23/silicones-the-mighty-list-for-buildup-prevention/):

Dimethicone and amodimethicone both fall under the "risks buildup" category. So I guess in this case it'd be down to if your SLS shampoo is removing it faster than it's being built up.

Bri-Chan
December 26th, 2020, 02:08 AM
Going off of this list of silicones and buildup prevention (https://nightblooming.com/2018/10/23/silicones-the-mighty-list-for-buildup-prevention/):

Dimethicone and amodimethicone both fall under the "risks buildup" category. So I guess in this case it'd be down to if your SLS shampoo is removing it faster than it's being built up.

Thank you for the link! I was using a coney shampoo too before this one (I'm using it just for like 2 weeks) but it was harsher.

ArtOfNoot
December 26th, 2020, 04:10 AM
My hair reaches the bottom of my ribcage when I pull it all to the back, however (because of my chest) it doesn't even come close to that length. I was also hoping to reach waist length hair this year so maybe I'm being impatient. Anyways, should I call it waist length? or wait till my hair pulled to the front and back reach my waist? My hair has a blunt hemline

ioanaxena
December 26th, 2020, 05:46 AM
My hair reaches the bottom of my ribcage when I pull it all to the back, however (because of my chest) it doesn't even come close to that length. I was also hoping to reach waist length hair this year so maybe I'm being impatient. Anyways, should I call it waist length? or wait till my hair pulled to the front and back reach my waist? My hair has a blunt hemline

I would personally call it now and not wait until I get it to waist in the front. It's already at waist, so why not?

JasminxCat
December 26th, 2020, 01:27 PM
How would you dilute peppermint oil for itchy, flaky, bumpy scalp?

lapushka
December 26th, 2020, 05:37 PM

Peppermint is an essential oil, which means you preferably dilute this in a carrier oil (sweet almond, grapeseed, coconut, olive, jojoba, macadamia, etc.). Don't use it full strength on your head!

KokoroDragon
December 26th, 2020, 08:36 PM

A good rule of thumb I've heard for diluting essential oils is 1 drop for 1 teaspoon of carrier oil.

JasminxCat
December 31st, 2020, 01:36 AM
Thanks lapushka and kokorodragon

I'm making a peppermint tea spray for my scalp with peppermint oil tomorrow. I only have one tea bag for this so I'm using one cup. How many drops of peppermint oil would I put in one cup? And how long can I let this sit before washing? I'm trying to relieve some scalp itchiness/eczema and dandruff

stardust lady
December 31st, 2020, 02:53 AM
I'm interested in the no-trim 2021 thing. I've realized recently, after having to go through many years of Google Calendar to make an accurate resume, that I used to get a haircut almost every month when I had longer hair. I always wondered why it never got longer than APL. That's why. I'm just past chin at this point, and my ends look a little scraggly, so I think I'll do a final tiny trim.

Just wondering - do I even need to trim if there aren't any splits? And how do I do it myself, while at chin-length? I have a pair of good hair cutting scissors.

Dragon
December 31st, 2020, 03:58 AM
I'm interested in the no-trim 2021 thing. I've realized recently, after having to go through many years of Google Calendar to make an accurate resume, that I used to get a haircut almost every month when I had longer hair. I always wondered why it never got longer than APL. That's why. I'm just past chin at this point, and my ends look a little scraggly, so I think I'll do a final tiny trim.

Just wondering - do I even need to trim if there aren't any splits? And how do I do it myself, while at chin-length? I have a pair of good hair cutting scissors.

I don’t think there is really any need to trim if you don’t have any split ends. Personally, I’d leave it until you get to a length you can self trim as I don’t think it’s possible at your current length. And then maintain for a little bit if your ends look to scraggly. I’m guessing the two ponytails rather then one to self trim might be easier when it gets a bit longer, I’m not sure though. Also, one more suggestion, maybe sleep on a silk or satin pillow case. I use a large silk scarf I got off eBay wrapped around my pillow instead as I can’t afford a silk pillow case and found satin to hot to sleep on in the hot climate I live in.

momof3mary
December 31st, 2020, 08:15 AM

I'm making a peppermint tea spray for my scalp with peppermint oil tomorrow. I only have one tea bag for this so I'm using one cup. How many drops of peppermint oil would I put in one cup? And how long can I let this sit before washing? I'm trying to relieve some scalp itchiness/eczema and dandruff

There are 48 teaspoons in a cup. I wouldn't put 48 drops. Start with 5 and see how that feels, you can adjust as you go.

KokoroDragon
December 31st, 2020, 09:33 AM

I know some people use essential oils "diluted" in water with no ill effects, but I personally wouldn't do it. Water/tea doesn't mix with oil, so how could it dilute oil? If you're using peppermint tea, I don't think you need the oil since the mint is already in there. :flower:

As for how long to leave it on before washing? I don't think it matters much, as long as it's not uncomfortable. Someone who's tried it may have a better answer though.

I hope it works out for you! Scalp issues are no fun to deal with.

stardust lady
January 1st, 2021, 03:54 AM
I don’t think there is really any need to trim if you don’t have any split ends. Personally, I’d leave it until you get to a length you can self trim as I don’t think it’s possible at your current length. And then maintain for a little bit if your ends look to scraggly. I’m guessing the two ponytails rather then one to self trim might be easier when it gets a bit longer, I’m not sure though. Also, one more suggestion, maybe sleep on a silk or satin pillow case. I use a large silk scarf I got off eBay wrapped around my pillow instead as I can’t afford a silk pillow case and found satin to hot to sleep on in the hot climate I live in.

Thanks for your reply! :flower: Yep, I think you're right. No need to trim. I had a trim in October by a professional that was for the expressed purpose of growing out my hair, so I should just let it be. I did a nice hot coconut oil treatment today, and that seems to have made the ends look much healthier. And I did start sleeping on a silk pillowcase recently and boy does that help! I got mine on Dharma Trading Co and it was surprisingly affordable. I've been bad and have been throwing it in the washer and dryer with the rest of my clothes (at least on cold wash and low heat dry), but it's held up surprisingly well!

Dark40
January 3rd, 2021, 08:12 AM
Hi all,

I have a question....what does it mean when your hair feels gummy and it looks frizzy? Could it just mean it needs to be clarified? Or, what do you do in situations like this?

Jane99
January 3rd, 2021, 08:16 AM
I think gummy hair indicates it is lacking structure and needs protein.

Dark40
January 3rd, 2021, 08:22 AM
Ahhh, ok. Yes, that does make sense. I will take that advice and do a protein treatment then. Thank you for your response.

Carrie's hair
January 3rd, 2021, 08:27 AM
Hi all,

I have a question....what does it mean when your hair feels gummy and it looks frizzy? Could it just mean it needs to be clarified? Or, what do you do in situations like this?
Do they dry longer than usual? I think they have too much hydration. I would limit ingredients such as glycerin, panthenol.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2021, 08:46 AM
I think gummy hair indicates it is lacking structure and needs protein.

I agree. Mushy, gummy (wet) hair, usually means you need protein.

Dark40
January 3rd, 2021, 08:59 AM
Do they dry longer than usual? I think they have too much hydration. I would limit ingredients such as glycerin, panthenol.

No, it drys at the normal 3 or 4 hours. It's when it's dry. i've just done a chemical treatment on my hair yesterday and I forgot to do a protein treatment afterwards. I've always known that when you do any chemical services on your hair you always do a protein treatment afterwards. Ok, that's good advice about limiting ingredients such as glycerin, panthenol.

Dark40
January 3rd, 2021, 09:00 AM
I agree. Mushy, gummy (wet) hair, usually means you need protein.

Well, it's not gummy when it's wet. It's gummy when it's dry. But that is true. Either way it usually means protein.

blackgothicdoll
January 3rd, 2021, 10:52 AM
Does anyone else have a problem with changing parts? I can either part my hair to the left or the middle. The right looks so weird! I try to just rotate between left and middle parts but I wonder what's so weird about right.

Finda
January 3rd, 2021, 11:28 AM
blackgothicdoll Yeah, I switch between the middle and the right side. Whenever the hair parts on the left it not just looks weird, it also feels weird. Like holding to phone to the wrong ear ;)

Dark40
January 3rd, 2021, 03:03 PM
I've figured out what my hair really needs. Today I sampled and brushed some water through my bangs, and I let them air dry. After air drying they looked really nice! So, I've learned that my hair needs more moisture than protein. Because, yesterday I did apply a heavy protein conditioner after the chemical services, and my hair still came out gummy feeling. But after today my bangs are no longer gummy-looking or feeling! So, tomorrow I am planning on just shampooing and using a good moisturizing conditioner, and I'm sure that I will have much better results than on yesterday.

Dark40
January 3rd, 2021, 04:21 PM
Has anyone ever sat under a hooded dryer using their regular conditioner? Especially, a thick and heavy coney conditioner. i've tried it once and it was really beneficial to me! It did act as a deep conditioning treatment. For some reason my hair felt a lot softer and more moisturized just as if I had used a deep moisturizing conditioner with heat.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2021, 04:43 PM
I've figured out what my hair really needs. Today I sampled and brushed some water through my bangs, and I let them air dry. After air drying they looked really nice! So, I've learned that my hair needs more moisture than protein. Because, yesterday I did apply a heavy protein conditioner after the chemical services, and my hair still came out gummy feeling. But after today my bangs are no longer gummy-looking or feeling! So, tomorrow I am planning on just shampooing and using a good moisturizing conditioner, and I'm sure that I will have much better results than on yesterday.

Maybe that would have been good to mention.

Dark40
January 3rd, 2021, 09:47 PM
Maybe that would have been good to mention.

I'm so sorry I had forgotten to mention it.

JasminxCat
January 4th, 2021, 12:57 AM
Do you think wooden wide tooth combs are less damaging than plastic?

Dragon
January 4th, 2021, 02:07 AM

I personally don’t like wooden combs as I find the slip of plastic combs goes through my hair better.

Feral_
January 4th, 2021, 06:00 AM

It depends on the comb, the tines and personal preference. My horn comb is less damaging than a wooden one I tried. I know some on here like the slip of plastic, just be aware of any seams which can damage.

florenonite
January 4th, 2021, 06:21 AM
Does anyone else have a problem with changing parts? I can either part my hair to the left or the middle. The right looks so weird! I try to just rotate between left and middle parts but I wonder what's so weird about right.

I cannot do a right part. I actually can't do a true centre part either; it looks and feels weird and the hair doesn't lie as flat on the left as on the right, even when I do it when my hair is dripping wet. I can do a deep left part (lined up with the outer corner of my eye/eyebrow), a normal left part (lined up with my pupil-ish; this has been my default parting for about 15 years), and a left-of-centre part (this was how my hair just naturally parted when I was wee).

shelomit
January 5th, 2021, 07:26 AM

If you prefer the feeling of plastic to wood (or only have plastic and don't want to invest in wood), but are concerned about the seams catching on your hair, you can pick up some fine sandpaper at a hardware store and polish the seams down by hand.

shelomit
January 5th, 2021, 07:28 AM

Oh, gosh, I hate adjusting my part. I usually part it straight down the middle; shifting it too much gives me a headache. I can move it to the right a little bit without trouble, but if I move it to the left, it "flips" away from the part. It's as though I have a cowlick there, except that I don't when my hair is parted normally. And forget about brushing it straight back! I have just resigned myself to a life of center parts at this point ( ;

ZoeZ
January 5th, 2021, 08:39 AM
If you prefer the feeling of plastic to wood (or only have plastic and don't want to invest in wood), but are concerned about the seams catching on your hair, you can pick up some fine sandpaper at a hardware store and polish the seams down by hand.

I have an old plastic comb that I've had for years - purchased long before I grew my hair out and pre-LHC (so I knew nothing about how the seams could damage hair) and it is now my favorite comb - all the seams have smoothed out over the years so now it's perfect.

ynne
January 5th, 2021, 09:34 AM
Oh, gosh, I hate adjusting my part. I usually part it straight down the middle; shifting it too much gives me a headache. I can move it to the right a little bit without trouble, but if I move it to the left, it "flips" away from the part. It's as though I have a cowlick there, except that I don't when my hair is parted normally. And forget about brushing it straight back! I have just resigned myself to a life of center parts at this point ( ;
It's the same for me! I can do a right part, but it naturally falls somewhere close to a center one. I can't be too picky about the placement or I get headaches after just a few hours.

Ada-banana
January 5th, 2021, 11:26 AM
I was wondering:
Can you make two buns, double buns with clips like a small ficarre? Is that comfortable and does it stay put?

lapushka
January 5th, 2021, 12:18 PM
I personally don’t like wooden combs as I find the slip of plastic combs goes through my hair better.

^^ Same here. Also, since discovering the Wet Brush (I use dupes), I have put my wide tooth comb to the side. That brush is amazing.

Feral_
January 5th, 2021, 12:38 PM
^^ Same here. Also, since discovering the Wet Brush (I use dupes), I have put my wide tooth comb to the side. That brush is amazing.

I still use my wide tooth horn comb as it keeps my waves and I love the feeling on my scalp.. but my Headjog brush is absolutely amazing for gentle detangling. And to think I thought Tangle Teezers were good - nope, there’s hardly any shed hairs in my Headjog! :)

Bri-Chan
January 5th, 2021, 07:14 PM
I have this hair tie for an year now. It's an original invisibobble. In the last weeks I'm having some troubles with it. I use it for a looot of things, but lately, I don't why, it pulls my hair. The only exception is when I use it for a single braid.
How can this be possible? I mean, it never happened before! Also if I do a low ponytail, it pulls. The problem to me is that I used it to secure all my sleeping "styles" and I'm struggling finding something new without that and without using regural hair tie...
I was wondering if maybe this invisinobble is now too, also if it looks just fine... Any thoughts?

Klalab
January 6th, 2021, 02:03 AM
I'm sooo curious, what does SSS mean? 😅

Feral_
January 6th, 2021, 04:45 AM
I have this hair tie for an year now. It's an original invisibobble. In the last weeks I'm having some troubles with it. I use it for a looot of things, but lately, I don't why, it pulls my hair. The only exception is when I use it for a single braid.
How can this be possible? I mean, it never happened before! Also if I do a low ponytail, it pulls. The problem to me is that I used it to secure all my sleeping "styles" and I'm struggling finding something new without that and without using regural hair tie...
I was wondering if maybe this invisinobble is now too, also if it looks just fine... Any thoughts?

Does it need reshaping? They get baggy over time. Putting it in a mug of recently boiled hot water will shrink it back and also sterilise it.

DropStitches
January 6th, 2021, 04:51 AM

Maybe a satin/velvet scrunchie might be another option?

Bri-Chan
January 6th, 2021, 05:03 AM
I'm sooo curious, what does SSS mean? ��
Hair length measured in the LHC way. I see it usually on german pages

Does it need reshaping? They get baggy over time. Putting it in a mug of recently boiled hot water will shrink it back and also sterilise it.
I'll try this... Watching better the tie, I think that maybe the plastic is softer than what used to be, but I'm not sure.

Maybe a satin/velvet scrunchie might be another option?
I never tried a scrunchie.. Does it work exactly as a regular hair tie?

MusicalSpoons
January 6th, 2021, 10:19 AM
I'm sooo curious, what does SSS mean? ��

It stands for Stirn-Scheitel-Spitzen, forehead-crown-tips (ends). It's the measuring method we use, measuring from front hairline, over the top of your head and down to hemline.

FaeBroom
January 7th, 2021, 07:12 AM
Has anyone altered their office chair, maybe with some sort of cover, to protect their hair? I just noticed mine has this really grabby, rough mesh that my hair sticks to.

Carrie's hair
January 7th, 2021, 09:33 AM
Has anyone altered their office chair, maybe with some sort of cover, to protect their hair? I just noticed mine has this really grabby, rough mesh that my hair sticks to.
Try to pull a T-shirt or a satin pillowcase over the backrest.

ZoeZ
January 7th, 2021, 09:40 AM

I have found that cutting up pantihose into rings has been the gentlest tie on my hair. I use that for tying off my sleep braid.

beha
January 7th, 2021, 12:00 PM
Can you use aloe gel on dry hair and what does it do? I just want an unscented hair lotion type effect for non-wash days.

aloewurly
January 7th, 2021, 12:10 PM
Can you use aloe gel on dry hair and what does it do? I just want an unscented hair lotion type effect for non-wash days.

I dont think it'd be a good idea: aloe wouldn't hydrate your hair. I think you're better off using a spray bottle first to get your hair damp, and using a very light leave in conditioner. But in general I would only recommend using aloe (or any kind of gel) in damp or even wet hair, so you dont dry your hair out.

MusicalSpoons
January 7th, 2021, 12:51 PM
I dont think it'd be a good idea: aloe wouldn't hydrate your hair. I think you're better off using a spray bottle first to get your hair damp, and using a very light leave in conditioner. But in general I would only recommend using aloe (or any kind of gel) in damp or even wet hair, so you dont dry your hair out.

Why wouldn't it? :confused:

aloewurly
January 7th, 2021, 01:12 PM
Why wouldn't it? :confused:

Don't get me wrong, aloe IS a hydrating ingredient, but pure aloe wouldn't get into the cuticle as, let's say, a product formulated with it would. It would coat the hair (which isn't a bad thing in itself! That's why aloe works as a gel and tames the frizzies) but it wouldn't hydrate the hair if you applied it to your hair dry, so it wouldn't work as a "hair lotion" which is what beha mentioned they were looking for :)

ynne
January 7th, 2021, 02:13 PM

Seconding this suggestion, leave-in conditioner could do that! I don't have a suitable spray bottle but I sometimes apply it by putting a small amount of conditioner in my palm, adding water to dillute it, and then applying it to my hair. Or if you just want the smoothness and not hydration, a small amount of oil/a leave-in product with oil.

sky-
January 7th, 2021, 08:29 PM

No but that's a really great idea omg, my hair is constantly rubbing ok the chair. Maybe wrapping a satin scarf on it? Or a pillow case. It wouldn't look very good though

JasminxCat
January 7th, 2021, 09:07 PM

Wouldn't think so, have you looked into fragrance free leave in conditioners?

Bri-Chan
January 8th, 2021, 05:45 AM
I have found that cutting up pantihose into rings has been the gentlest tie on my hair. I use that for tying off my sleep braid.

Oooo so creative, thank you!

RebekahE
January 8th, 2021, 06:28 AM

I just pull my hair over my shoulder whether it's down or braided. That works well for me.

JasminxCat
January 9th, 2021, 12:15 AM
Are split ends not able to retain moisture? Would this explain why they are always dry no matter what you do to temporarily fix them?