PDA

View Full Version : Supplies for UK LHC-ers!!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

pepperminttea
April 21st, 2012, 03:51 AM
Freija, I'll PM you. :D

janeytilllie, I haven't noticed that particular range but I just wanted to say I've searched for things on Superdrug's website before and they haven't been there, but they're still for sale months later. Their Coconut and Sweet Almond Intensive conditioner is one of my favourites, but I've never seen it on their site (strangely enough they do list the companion shampoo). No idea why, but their website is a bit patchy on products. Hopefully that's the case with your new found favourite too. :)

janeytilllie
April 21st, 2012, 04:01 AM
Freija, I'll PM you. :D

janeytilllie, I haven't noticed that particular range but I just wanted to say I've searched for things on Superdrug's website before and they haven't been there, but they're still for sale months later. Their Coconut and Sweet Almond Intensive conditioner is one of my favourites, but I've never seen it on their site (strangely enough they do list the companion shampoo). No idea why, but their website is a bit patchy on products. Hopefully that's the case with your new found favourite too. :)

Thank you for the info:flower:
I'm very glad that there is still hope from new loves :gabigrin:
I tend to a very special talent for finding hard to find things :D
(hope that made sense :lol:)

Covet
April 22nd, 2012, 04:16 AM
It depends what your routine is, and what you're looking for? My hair craves really heavy, 'cone-free conditioner and the Biolage is the only one it's really responded to - all the others are quite thin. I want to try Australian Organics for dry hair at some point, though: it looks thick and it's had a few positive reviews here. I also wish I'd been able to get hold of some old-style Biolage, just to try it!

Another thing my hair loves are stale beer rinses (they makes it very full and shiny). If you ever end up with half a can/bottle lying around the next morning, you can try pouring it over your hair at the end of a wash, leaving it for a few minutes, then rinsing it out with warm water. That's not really a conventional product though, just a recent discovery I'm still far too excited about!

Oh - as for the wide-toothed comb, I have a comb and a Mason Pearson boar bristle brush. There's nothing like the smooth prongs of the comb for scritiching, or just running lightly in circles over my scalp as a form of massage. Really, I only ever use my fingers or my comb. I used to use this one:
http://www.afrotherapy.com/Brands/Roots2Ends/Roots-2-Ends-Bamboo-Comb-ROO-005
and it was lovely, really smooth with fine, nicely-spaced teeth. But one of the prongs broke after a couple of years. I sanded it down and still use it, but have this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaoping-Natural-Hand-Carved-Sandalwood/dp/B005HBF2BO/ref=sr_1_6?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1334964545&sr=1-6
as my primary comb now. The shape is lovely to hold and use, and it was silky-smooth right out of the bag. The wood smells wonderful, too! I regularly use both on damp hair, with no ill effect (I imagine your curly hair is like mine, and is best left alone right out of the shower until the next wash?). I just leave them out to dry afterwards, and keep them away from the bathroom/steam.

Do you use any curl/gel/styling products or oils at the moment, or just shampoo and conditioner? :)

Thanks for the reply!

I do use a curl creme at the moment and olive oil on my scalp (helps so much with my dandruff!). My hair doesn't really like being oiled it seems, it just frizzes like crazy when I oil it (with olive oil and by smoothing the palms down the hair - it does NOT respond well to this, perhaps I should use a mister bottle...). I CO wash only and I love heavy conditioners too but not ones that are as thick as the Superdrug Coconut and Sweet Almond Intensive Conditioner. At the moment I'm really liking the Tresemme Naturals cone-free conditioner and I love anything that leaves a lingering smell on my hair (Herbal Essences did that for me, but it's packed with cones :()

Those combs look lovely! I actually bought a wide tooth comb from Boots the other day and I'm liking it but it's huge :shrug: so I'm still looking for one with super wide prongs. And yep! My hair is best left well alone until the next wash lol.

whitedove
April 22nd, 2012, 05:20 AM
I went to poundland after someone suggested on forum they had chop/hairsticks there for a £1. I picked up 2 pairs one for my mum and one for me, when I got to the till I was surprised to find out that it was 2 pairs for a pound. They are black and gold plastic ideal for damp bunning. But if any of you near Peterborough, dont bother looking I took the last ones! :D

Pantha
April 22nd, 2012, 11:56 AM
I have seen the Poundland ones before, thats really good if theyre two pairs for £1. I've had a couple of pairs of plastic ones before and they tend to snap easily but for 50p a pair its not too bad.

Covet
April 24th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Anyone here tried avocado oil? I want to try it but I'm not sure where I'd find it...

rosieposie
April 24th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I got avacado oil in my local Sainsburys. it was with the olive oil and I believe it was Sainsburys own brand. Unfortunately, it didnt work for me. My hair prefers olive. HTH :)

Covet
April 24th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I got avacado oil in my local Sainsburys. it was with the olive oil and I believe it was Sainsburys own brand. Unfortunately, it didnt work for me. My hair prefers olive. HTH :)

Thanks! Nice to know it's easily accessible. I suppose I could just consume the rest of it if my hair didn't like it. Maybe :/ that might be weird though lol.

rosieposie
April 24th, 2012, 04:08 PM
You are welcome; and that is exactly what I did with the rest of the bottle. It made really yummy roast potatoes, lol.

SakuraGirl
April 25th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Hiya,

I dont know if this site has been mentioned but it has plenty of shampoo and conditioner that is SLS paraben cone free
www.lovelula.com

millyaulait
April 25th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Just bought lots of hair-related vitamins in the Holland & Barrett penny sale today! :)

Covet
April 26th, 2012, 02:52 AM
Just bought lots of hair-related vitamins in the Holland & Barrett penny sale today! :)

Penny sale! :happydance:

Thanks for mentioning that :) I'll go there today.

Freija
April 26th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I went to H&B today, too, though I didn't bother with the penny sale. I bought a bottle of MSM to try out, though, because it's supposed to help with IBS symptoms (thank you Littlewing!) and possibly also shedding and complexion. Sounds too good to be true, but we'll see! I toyed with buying a bottle of biotin, but I'm not sure I see the point - and I'm already taking a lot of supplements! I get vitamins from the Vegan Society (it's the only one I've found that only contains the things a vegan diet tends to lack, rather than throwing an entire A-Z at you!), I'm back on the iron tablets, at a lower dose, and now I'm taking MSM as well...

I also bought some vegan treats (mmm mushroom pate and cheezly) and finally got around to trying the yellow Australian Organics conditioner. I washed my hair with it this evening and if it keeps working as it has done, then I really love it! It was a bit blah in the shower, and smelled like lemon jellybeans, and I kept thinking 'mm... :/ I prefer my Biolage'. I had to apply it twice. But my hair has dried beautifully! It's soft, shiny, has a lot of curl and bounce, and feels slightly more moisturised even than it is with Biolage. I think the Biolage still leaves my hair a bit less frizzy, and definitely gives more slip (especially on the ends), but I think I'm going to start alternating the two. : )

brunette
April 27th, 2012, 10:18 AM
2nd ETA Yeah i'm on one now lol
If you order from the Coconoil website they do a 250g tub for £6.....that might be a similar size to the sainsburys one actually....i can't remember. Anyway it's free postage and no mimimum order so in case anyone just wanting it for hair and/or skin use is interested Coconoil 250g tub (http://www.coconoil.co.uk/sports-nutrition-coconut-oil/18-o.html)
Thanks for the tip! It seems the offer is for Spring so I bought some today, bit bigger than Sainsburys Groovy Food plus it's Organic :D can't wait to try it then I'll start getting their larger jars 3 at a time from the Coconoil website or eBay :cheese:

pixiestar
April 27th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I've got the coconoil organic, it smells amazing:D

brunette
April 27th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I've got the coconoil organic, it smells amazing:D
That's very reassuring, thank you! :flower:

Covet
April 27th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I went to the H&B penny sale today and got over a year's worth of multivitamins, silica to try and some omega-3 from Asda :). I'm unsure if I should try biotin again. I tried it about a year ago but back then I wasn't serious about hair growth and didn't bother measuring my hair so I can't remember if it actually made a difference or not...

Pantha
May 2nd, 2012, 01:24 PM
Has anyone else seen the big hair donuts theyve started doing in Clares? I was a bit miffed because I made my own huge one a few years back using socks, and I'm still using it but thats what made my sock buns different, the size :(

Either way I might go in next time and see how much they are although I guess theyre quite expensive, but theyre probably a lot lighter than my sock one.

whitedove
May 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM
Has anyone else seen the big hair donuts theyve started doing in Clares? I was a bit miffed because I made my own huge one a few years back using socks, and I'm still using it but thats what made my sock buns different, the size :(

Either way I might go in next time and see how much they are although I guess theyre quite expensive, but theyre probably a lot lighter than my sock one.

You should wait for there 3 for 2 offers :)

BelleBot
May 3rd, 2012, 09:51 AM

I think they're about £5 or £6 so quite expensive really. They've been around in Liverpool for ages as big hair is very scouse thing. I keep meaning to buy one but the price puts me off every time.

Pantha
May 3rd, 2012, 01:58 PM
I think they're about £5 or £6 so quite expensive really. They've been around in Liverpool for ages as big hair is very scouse thing. I keep meaning to buy one but the price puts me off every time.

Ye £5 or £6 is quite expensive for a hair accessory especially when I've made one for free. Whitedove has a point of waiting for them to be 3 for 2 but I've only ever bought two things from Clares in my whole life, they were both hair accessories and both broke within a month of purchase.

Covet
May 9th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Ye £5 or £6 is quite expensive for a hair accessory especially when I've made one for free. Whitedove has a point of waiting for them to be 3 for 2 but I've only ever bought two things from Clares in my whole life, they were both hair accessories and both broke within a month of purchase.

They're £1 in Primark if I remember correctly!

Pantha
May 10th, 2012, 04:42 AM
They're £1 in Primark if I remember correctly!

Thanks, will have a look when I'm up town next, I've only seen the standard sized ones in there before. They might just be out of stock though because a few months back I got some spin pins from ther for £1 and they haven't had any in since.

clairenewcastle
May 10th, 2012, 08:18 AM
I've just answered a question on hairsticks in the UK on another thread so I thought I'd mention it here too -
http://longhairedjewels.com/index.html is stocking an exclusive range of wavy hairsticks from a local English craftsman.
I bought one of his hairsticks recently from her and love it, it holds as well as my beloved Ketylos. She custom made it for me (its in my album, the stick with black feathers) and told me she'd bought the stick at a local craft fair.

afu
May 12th, 2012, 04:35 AM
I picked up some aloe vera gel and honey from the H&B penny sale the other week, wish id just got 2 aloe vera gels though im getting through it so fast.

I find Tesco smooth coconut conditioner really good for CO (i think it has a cone in it somewhere but not noticed any build up). Its 88p for 750ml and is currently on 3 for 2 - so so cheap! Morrisons own fruity conditioner for thin hair also works well

afu
May 12th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Also, im glad the inecto worked for your COs, I have a bottle from ages ago which didn't work well but that was when i very first started CO, i may give it another chance now that my hair is settled

pepperminttea
May 12th, 2012, 10:59 AM
The Tesco Smooth Coconut conditioner is definitely 'cone-free unless they've reformulated it recently. :) I love it for CO too.

Aredhel77
May 15th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Superdrug has a "better than half price" offer on the large (900ml) Tresemme shampoo & conditioner bottles at the moment - they're £2.69 I think, which is excellent value. I went into my local one today and stocked up on the Tresemme Naturals conditioners - I bought 4 bottles!

Covet
May 16th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Superdrug has a "better than half price" offer on the large (900ml) Tresemme shampoo & conditioner bottles at the moment - they're £2.69 I think, which is excellent value. I went into my local one today and stocked up on the Tresemme Naturals conditioners - I bought 4 bottles!

That's fantastic! I never see offers like that in my local Superdrug but I'll check it out when I'm near one today :) Thanks for letting us know.

cfreya
May 19th, 2012, 07:29 AM
This thread is dangerous ! Caused me to spend so much on products and hair toys thanks guys lol

Boulder dash
May 19th, 2012, 07:46 AM
If any body is a fan of naked hair/body care, they are currently offering 35% off their products whit the code "try35"

nakedbodycare.co.uk

pepperminttea
May 19th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Just in case any UKers missed this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=93829) - if you order online direct from Naked at the moment (the same line you can find in Boots), you can get 35% off (the discount code is TRY35) and free postage if you spend over £20. :) Here's a link for their site (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/).

Edit: Whoops, Boulder dash was way ahead of me! :o

Paranda Belle
May 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM

They are two for £5 in Asda, but they were all out of the Naturals ones which I like :(

Naked products are 2 for £6 in Boots if anyone wants them!

jel
May 19th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Just a quick thanks to everyone who recommended longhairedjewels.com! I bought some acrylic Ketylos (which are gorgeous!) and a pack of Amish pins, and the service was very friendly and extremely efficient. I'd never received hair toys so quickly! :D

Tabitha
May 19th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Sad news for us - I was in Selfridges, London today and heading with a friend to the Cherry Chau counter to show her all the pretty things there and was told by one of the assistants that CC is no longer there. Hence their selling off their Ficcares at half price! So, no more Ficcares in Selfridges.

It's a real shame because they were great about helping you to try them on which is particularly helpful for Ficcare newbies - many places don't let you try hair things here. I'll cross-post this in the Ficcare thread, I hope the mods don't mind.

faellen
May 19th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Sad news for us - I was in Selfridges, London today and heading with a friend to the Cherry Chau counter to show her all the pretty things there and was told by one of the assistants that CC is no longer there. Hence their selling off their Ficcares at half price! So, no more Ficcares in Selfridges.

It's a real shame because they were great about helping you to try them on which is particularly helpful for Ficcare newbies - many places don't let you try hair things here. I'll cross-post this in the Ficcare thread, I hope the mods don't mind.

Oohhhh nooooo :( I was planning a trip to Selfridges just for the ficcares! What a shame :(
Thanks for telling us though. You've saved me from a wasted journey :)

brunette
May 20th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I was told by the assistants there a couple of years ago that Harvey Nichols has Ficcares too, perhaps that will help someone. Can this be confirmed that it is still there?

Tabitha
May 20th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Harvey Nicks def. used to have a Cherry Chau counter with Ficcares, on the ground floor near Cosmetics/Handbags, but I haven't been there recently (I don't like Harvey Nicks! snooty and noisy).

Whether CC are withdrawing from the UK altogether, or just from Selfridges because their concession rental went up or something, I don't know. They're a French company; this is their website with phone numbers (http://www.cherrychau.com/page6.htm) though they still have Selfridges listed (it really bugs me when info isn't kept up to date!). Anyone planning a special journey might do well to check.

afu
May 20th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Helloo UK'ers, just wondering where you lot get your essential oils? I've found a deep conditioner which is fab on my hair but smells awful (think floorcleaner!) so I was thinking of biting the bullet and getting some EOs in. I'd like peppermint for a start as its strong yet nice to cover up the bad conditioner smell but maybe branch out a little too. I know boots and holland and barrett sell them for around £5 per 10ml and you can get them from amazon but just wondered if anyone had any experience or recommendations?
p.s. not used EOs before so if there are some to avoid for hair, let me know!

SakuraGirl
May 21st, 2012, 10:53 AM
For those that use or want to use tresemme naturals - three 900ml bottle for £10

Oksana
May 21st, 2012, 11:12 AM
If any body is a fan of naked hair/body care, they are currently offering 35% off their products whit the code "try35"

nakedbodycare.co.uk

Just in case any UKers missed this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=93829) - if you order online direct from Naked at the moment (the same line you can find in Boots), you can get 35% off (the discount code is TRY35) and free postage if you spend over £20. :) Here's a link for their site (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/).

Edit: Whoops, Boulder dash was way ahead of me! :o

Thanks for this, just made a big order :eyebrows:

faellen
May 21st, 2012, 11:13 AM
Helloo UK'ers, just wondering where you lot get your essential oils? I've found a deep conditioner which is fab on my hair but smells awful (think floorcleaner!) so I was thinking of biting the bullet and getting some EOs in. I'd like peppermint for a start as its strong yet nice to cover up the bad conditioner smell but maybe branch out a little too. I know boots and holland and barrett sell them for around £5 per 10ml and you can get them from amazon but just wondered if anyone had any experience or recommendations?
p.s. not used EOs before so if there are some to avoid for hair, let me know!

I really like Abbey Essentials - http://www.abbeyessentials.co.uk/

:)

Oksana
May 22nd, 2012, 11:37 AM
Just received my Naked order :) Super fast delivery and lovely packaging considering it was free!

http://i48.tinypic.com/257efpv.jpg

afu
May 22nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
has anyone used the Naked banana and custard shampoo? if so does it leave a scent on hair when dry? would love to get it for the SO who loves banana desserts but being a banana hater myself not sure I could stand being near him if the smell is constant!!

Oksana
May 22nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
has anyone used the Naked banana and custard shampoo? if so does it leave a scent on hair when dry? would love to get it for the SO who loves banana desserts but being a banana hater myself not sure I could stand being near him if the smell is constant!!

I just used it. While washing you can smell banana but it is not overpowering. My hair is drying now and i can't smell it at all, but i did use a conditioner which may be masking the smell :shrug:

afu
May 22nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks Oksana i may be tempted to get some from boots, thats the only thing I want so can't justify the delivery despite the 35% off. Oh dear just realised this means that due to limiting myself on hair spending I'm branching out to the SO, that doesn't count thought does it...?!

NaturalCraft
June 9th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Hi,

My name is Jason and I hand-carve items out of wood here in the UK. I don't know how many of you use Hair sticks (or hair pins) but I thought I'd post here to see what your reactions are like to some of my hand-carved wooden hairsticks. The most popular shape that I carve at the moment are <Moderation: Link removed per vendor guidelines.> about 6" long.

Does anyone use hairsticks to hold their hair on a regular basis?

If anyone is interested in taking a look at my carvings, my website is <Moderation: Link removed per vendor guidelines.> and you can see my facebook page at <Moderation: Link removed per vendor guidelines.>

- Jason

Slug Yoga
June 9th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Very pretty sticks. I think your post might be against the rules though. :/

One thing that I care about as a potential hair-toy consumer is the origin of the exotic woods, I want to know whether it's from a sustainable source, as unfortunately many exotic woods are not.

I've been wanting to start a thread about this on LHC but I need to do more research first.

NaturalCraft
June 9th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Hi Slug Yoga,

I hope I haven't offended anyone by posting!

I'm very interested in the safe-guarding and re-building of the world's forests. Over the past few years with poor government in Madagascar, they estimate that up to a million ebony and madagascan rosewood trees were felled illegally! It's rather worrying.

The timber I use comes from reputable timber merchants or are off-cuts from various sources. I also try to re-use timber - I have some Burma Teak that comes from a 200-year-old colonial-era cotton mill that was recently taken apart in India.

A lot of timber I use is British, ranging from Bog Oak (unearthed after thousands of years), to spalted woods (half rotten wood), to trees that have been removed from people's gardens and hedgerows.

- Jason

Slug Yoga
June 9th, 2012, 04:08 AM
It's not so much an "offense" thing, it's just that I'm guessing your post would be considered advertising, which isn't allowed. And I totally understand the policy, and it's pretty annoying and inappropriate when someone is blatantly a plant for some product, that they then mention in every post. :P It would be nice, though, to have a platform somewhere to give feedback on what I want in a product, since a lot of hairstick producers are individual artisans who will actually take it into account, and then I get products that are more like I want. Sometimes I feel like just contacting a random merchant and being like, "Hey, by the way, I buy hairtoys and you should really mention the "functional length" of your stick or post "action shots" of it in someone's hair," but, I dunno, I'm afraid of it being considered rude maybe, and plus in all honesty I'm probably not going to bother, I'm going to think of doing it and forget about it.)

I'm happy to hear that that is a concern for you, and I definitely agree that it's worrying! The info about your sources is definitely the kind of thing you should put on your webpage, in my opinion; I know as a consumer it would set my mind at ease and make me more likely to buy the product, and frankly I am probably too lazy to ask every merchant about the source of their wood. :P

If I am looking to ensure that the products I buy come from sustainable sources, what sort of questions should I ask? For instance, how would I know whether someone is actually using sustainable wood vs. just saying they are, what are "warning signs" that it's not sustainable, are there any kinds of certification processes for particular wood sources or any kind of overseeing body that judges whether a source is sustainable or not? I guess that's the thing--there are legal restrictions on certain woods, but the fact that it's legal doesn't necessarily mean it's not exploitative of environment or labour.

Thanks for your response.

NaturalCraft
June 9th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Some good points there! I don't want to bleet on about my products and that wouldn't be appropriate. It's hard to find a place to discuss hairsticks because I'm not a user of them myself and a lot of the sites where there is hair stick information, also sell hairsticks so it's not very impartial.

I often get requests from individual people to customise products or to commission specific products. Most of my wavy hairsticks are 6" but I made a 7" stick for someone with thicker hair for example. I think that it's really good to be able to speak to people to get something made that you know will meet your requirements.

Timber is the worlds greatest renewable resource and as a global community we really need to start managing it better. It is a shame that due to povity, etc. people take desperate actions to survive - particularly in tropical areas.

There is a standard called FSC which certifies that the wood or wood pulp has come from well managed forests but this seems to be mainly for softwoods. In general if you buy a wooden product that has been manufactured in the UK or USA then it will be from ethically sourced wood because of the import restrictions. However, when buying a wooden product from the far east or a product that has been manufactured in the far east, it is likely that the same restrictions on source wood have not been applied.

In the USA they have a specific law governing illegal timbers. Just recently, the famous guitar maker Gibson got into trouble because a shipment of exotic woods they had purchased was traced to an illegal source (although Gibson didn't know). I think that this story if positive because it shows that countries like the UK and US are taking illegal timber very seriously.

I personally feel quite sad when I see someone chopping down massive trees here in England because we really do have so few. My girlfriend and I are members of the woodland trust and have so far dedicated over ten trees. Hopefully, in the future we will see a resurgence in our native woodlands.

- Jason

tinfoilsally
June 15th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure this hasn't been brought up but apologies if it has. I was just in Primark today, and they were selling off little bottles of this hair serum which seems to be a MoroccanOil-a-like cone serum with a bit of argan oil in it. It was &#163;2.50 so I thought I'd try a bottle as I'm recently back on the cones, and it's really nice.
I found this review of it, which has a photo of the ingredients and a comparison to the brand name MoroccanOil:
http://dee-lightfulthoughts.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/moroccan-oil-dupepennys-best.html

So good so far!

BelleBot
June 16th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I've just bought some of the hask oil from primark, so far it seems lovely, though it's surprisingly thick but not sticky. I bought two vials :)

Pantha
June 16th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I went in the poundland in Shepards bush today and noticed they had some Goodies hair clips and pins, and the other week they had some Babyliss hair accessories in the Poundland in Hammersmith. I haven't got any myself but thought anyone looking for some cheep branded hair accessories might like to know so they can keep an eye out.

faellen
June 16th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I have a Poundland near me, may have a look! :D Thanks Pantha!

tinfoilsally
June 16th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I don't suppose anyone knows of a high street-esque shop that sells spin pins at the moment, do they? I'm dying to try them!

Slug Yoga
June 16th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I don't suppose anyone knows of a high street-esque shop that sells spin pins at the moment, do they? I'm dying to try them!

I think I've seen them in regular drugstores like Boots and/or Superdrug... If you get them let me know what you think, I've been interested in trying them but haven't wanted to spend the money, since I have no idea if I'd use them.

pepperminttea
June 17th, 2012, 06:03 AM

I'm interested, too. I checked Asda recently looking for more, but the Norwich branch doesn't seem to have any Goody stuff any more. :(

tinfoilsally
June 17th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Hmm, thanks for those tips, I will have a look next time I'm in town. If I manage to get some I will let you guys know if they're worth the hype!

Oh and if someone else has seen them stocked in a national chain-type store recently, please give me a shout as it will narrow my field of search considerably :)

cfreya
June 17th, 2012, 10:39 AM

I got mine in Claires but also seen them in boots and super drug recently

pepperminttea
June 17th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I had a dig around, Boots have them online (http://www.boots.com/en/Goody-Simple-Styles&#37;C2%99-Spin-Pin_1190542/) so that's a good sign. :) Superdrug don't, but they don't list everything they stock on their site.

Loviatar
June 17th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Any UKers wanting shampoo bars without having to go to the US sites, there is a company called AromaVille on etsy, based in Norwich. I got 4 bars from them this weekend and can't wait to use them.

tinfoilsally
June 17th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks cfreya & pepperminttea, that's really helpful. I never would have tried Claire's. This got me thinking, though- maybe us UK LHCers could get a supplies bingo going- like, contribute to a monthly list of stuff to look out for, and tick each one off as we find it on our travels?

bunzfan
June 21st, 2012, 03:53 AM
Can anyone tell me where i could get another conditioner suitable for co washing i am considering re starting i stopped because i found one the Tesco super saver one but my scalp reacted really badly so i went back to organic shampoo and conditioner but i'm trying to make my hair as wavy as possible and i'm trying curly girl again. I did use to use the Inecto coconut one but i would like to experiment:stirpot:

Tisiloves
June 21st, 2012, 04:06 AM
Can anyone tell me where i could get another conditioner suitable for co washing i am considering re starting i stopped because i found one the Tesco super saver one but my scalp reacted really badly so i went back to organic shampoo and conditioner but i'm trying to make my hair as wavy as possible and i'm trying curly girl again. I did use to use the Inecto coconut one but i would like to experiment:stirpot:

Any of these: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12619

Also I found some Inecto conditioners in Poundland.

bunzfan
June 21st, 2012, 04:22 AM

Thanks so much for that i'm going to look for the Boots and Superdrug one:D

Paranda Belle
June 21st, 2012, 04:34 AM

I've seen knock offs in primark!

afu
June 21st, 2012, 05:29 AM

Morrisons do a jojoba conditioner which has an extremely simple ingredients list and no cones - think it's about 80p for 750ml but it is very thick so i dilute mine 50:50 for CO. I think Morrisons also do an apple one in the same line but not sure about cones. Before i moved on to Morrisons I used Tesco smooth coconut which was excellent - unfortunatly i don't live near enough to a Tesco to restock

Aredhel77
June 21st, 2012, 06:10 AM
Morrisons do a jojoba conditioner which has an extremely simple ingredients list and no cones - think it's about 80p for 750ml but it is very thick so i dilute mine 50:50 for CO. I think Morrisons also do an apple one in the same line but not sure about cones. Before i moved on to Morrisons I used Tesco smooth coconut which was excellent - unfortunatly i don't live near enough to a Tesco to restock

Seconding the vote for the Tesco coconut conditioner, it's 89p I think and works very well :)

afu
June 21st, 2012, 06:20 AM
Seconding the vote for the Tesco coconut conditioner, it's 89p I think and works very well :)

The only thing i would say against the Tesco smooth coconut is that it contains methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone which are preservatives known to produce allergic reactions in some people and can irritate the scalp (found in many hair products). This was the other reason I switched to the Morrison's branded conditioner

Aredhel77
June 21st, 2012, 08:07 AM
OK that's worth bearing in mind. It seems to be working well for me so far (I've been using it for about a month) :smile:

afu
June 21st, 2012, 09:15 AM
Yeah when I had it it worked well, but in future I do want to avoid those ingredients because they can cause excess shedding which is especially a risk for CO washers - just keep it in mind if you experience any irritation

Slug Yoga
June 21st, 2012, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the link, I was just about to post about this (asking about conditioners, that is)

I'm an American and I miss my VO5 conditioners so bad. I will have to haunt the pound shops. Next time I go back to the states I am filling up my suitcase :P

louzen
June 21st, 2012, 09:44 AM

afu, when you're free could you kindly post the ingredients of the Morrisons jojoba conditioner? (I couldn't find online) I have a sensitive scalp so have to watch out for harsh ingredients - I don't have a Morrisons near me but if I like the ingredients list I'll make a special trip and stock up :)

afu
June 21st, 2012, 11:47 AM
afu, when you're free could you kindly post the ingredients of the Morrisons jojoba conditioner? (I couldn't find online) I have a sensitive scalp so have to watch out for harsh ingredients - I don't have a Morrisons near me but if I like the ingredients list I'll make a special trip and stock up :)

No problem, here are the ingredients: Aqua, Cetearyl alcohol, cetrimonium chloride, glycerin, methylparaben, propylparaben, simmondsia chinnensis oil and pink colouring

It is quite thick so for CO I dilute it with equal parts water and it works very well and works out great value

louzen
June 21st, 2012, 11:48 AM
I just stumbled upon this site: http://www.purenuffstuff.co.uk/custom-made/hair-conditioner-custom-made.htm where you can order your own custom made conditioner! I've never seen that before. The company are based in Cornwall and are against using harsh chemicals. Think I might have to give this a try!:)

Have any of you bought shampoo/conditioner from this company?

louzen
June 21st, 2012, 11:49 AM
No problem, here are the ingredients: Aqua, Cetearyl alcohol, cetrimonium chloride, glycerin, methylparaben, propylparaben, simmondsia chinnensis oil and pink colouring

It is quite thick so for CO I dilute it with equal parts water and it works very well and works out great value

Thanks afu, I really appreciate that :)

afu
June 21st, 2012, 11:55 AM
Nice link louzen, looking at their ingredients it seems pretty simple - might be worth making your own? I've always wanted to to make my own conditioner - im just not sure how cleansing something like that would be for CO washing as it is mostly oils and as far as i know glycerin and wax may cause excessive build up

ETA: you might be better off with the hair cleanser for dry hair from the same company if you want something both cleansing and conditioning

louzen
June 21st, 2012, 12:02 PM
Nice link louzen, looking at their ingredients it seems pretty simple - might be worth making your own? I've always wanted to to make my own conditioner - im just not sure how cleansing something like that would be for CO washing as it is mostly oils and as far as i know glycerin and wax may cause excessive build up

ETA: you might be better off with the hair cleanser for dry hair from the same company if you want something both cleansing and conditioning

Hmm, yes good point

pepperminttea
June 21st, 2012, 12:11 PM
I just stumbled upon this site: http://www.purenuffstuff.co.uk/custom-made/hair-conditioner-custom-made.htm where you can order your own custom made conditioner! I've never seen that before. The company are based in Cornwall and are against using harsh chemicals. Think I might have to give this a try!:)

Have any of you bought shampoo/conditioner from this company?

I have, several times, love their conditioner (and their cream dream moisturiser and hair cleansers)! :D I wouldn't recommend it for CO, but their cleansers are very gentle so doing a normal SC or CWC routine works well with it. I found the intensive conditioner was too heavy for me, but the normal one works great. :)

afu
June 22nd, 2012, 05:15 PM
Have any of you used the Monistat equivelant Daktarin for hair growth? if so which type did you find worked best and where is best to buy it - im currently toying with the idea of an experiment!

Lucky_Lucy
June 22nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Ok, I have absolutely no idea if anyone knows about this, but i found some nice claw clips and also great hair doughnuts at Primark for &#163;1. That's what I bought anyways, but there were other cute&cheap stuff there! ^ ^

pepperminttea
June 22nd, 2012, 06:01 PM
Have any of you used the Monistat equivelant Daktarin for hair growth? if so which type did you find worked best and where is best to buy it - im currently toying with the idea of an experiment!

I think Jojo has, you might want to drop her a line. :)

bunzfan
June 23rd, 2012, 02:49 AM

Yeah i used it on and off for about 2 years didn't give me bad headaches and i got a inch a month i think.

afu
June 23rd, 2012, 05:24 AM
Yeah i used it on and off for about 2 years didn't give me bad headaches and i got a inch a month i think. thats great, did you use the yellow one with the foot on it? i can't see a differenece in ingredients between that one and the standard one but the foot one is cheaper

louzen
June 23rd, 2012, 01:44 PM
I have, several times, love their conditioner (and their cream dream moisturiser and hair cleansers)! :D I wouldn't recommend it for CO, but their cleansers are very gentle so doing a normal SC or CWC routine works well with it. I found the intensive conditioner was too heavy for me, but the normal one works great. :)

Thanks pepperminttea. I've just ordered a 'hair cleanser' (shampoo) from them with lemon, chamomile and lemongrass oils. Can't wait to try it :)

palaeoqueen
July 2nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
I'm so glad to find this thread!

Boots have 3 for 2 on lots of spoo/condish at the moment if that helps anyone. It definitely includes Naked, Organix and Aussie plus lots of others.

A quick question about the cheap cone-free conditioners if that's ok. I love the idea of saving money on conditioner but whenever I've tried the own-brand cheapy ones they've never been moisturising enough and I end up with terrible tangles. Is this just because my hair is bleach damaged and very dry? Are they worth trying again once the bleach is finally all gone? Or... are you all using them for SMT or something rather than as a regular conditioner?

Loviatar
July 2nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
Palaeoqueen, I use the cheapy conditioners after my shampoo bars, but I have found one of the best uses for them is for CO.

The most moisturising ones I've found are the Inecto Coconut (about 99p from Lloyds, Savers, some Wilkinsons stores), Wilkinson's Tropical Shimmer (blue), Sainsbury's Apple, and there used to be a fantastic wheatgerm one from Tesco although I'm not sure if they still do that.

Tisiloves
July 2nd, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'm so glad to find this thread!

Boots have 3 for 2 on lots of spoo/condish at the moment if that helps anyone. It definitely includes Naked, Organix and Aussie plus lots of others.

A quick question about the cheap cone-free conditioners if that's ok. I love the idea of saving money on conditioner but whenever I've tried the own-brand cheapy ones they've never been moisturising enough and I end up with terrible tangles. Is this just because my hair is bleach damaged and very dry? Are they worth trying again once the bleach is finally all gone? Or... are you all using them for SMT or something rather than as a regular conditioner?

Get the to Poundland or the 99p store, they have a ton of nice conditioners for a quid including most of the Gliss range, Inecto, Herbal Essenses, etc.

palaeoqueen
July 2nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks both :)

Can I ask a really stupid question about CO washing? Do you just wash with the cheapy conditioner and that's it or do you follow it up with a regular heavier conditioner? I think a light bulb may have just gone on in my head...

Loviatar
July 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM
I just washed with the cheapy conditioner. I cover my hair in it, then add a bit of water and lather it up gently. Cheapy cone free conditioner has mild surfactants which will lather slightly and will cleanse your hair.

I only ever bothered to add a heavier conditioner on the ends when my ends felt really dry. Most of the time I didn't bother and used a leave-in on my ends instead.

Loviatar
July 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
I just washed with the cheapy conditioner. I cover my hair in it, then add a bit of water and lather it up gently. Cheapy cone free conditioner has mild surfactants which will lather slightly and will cleanse your hair.

I only ever bothered to add a heavier conditioner on the ends when my ends felt really dry. Most of the time I didn't bother and used a leave-in on my ends instead.

Tisiloves
July 2nd, 2012, 02:08 PM

Can I ask a really stupid question about CO washing? Do you just wash with the cheapy conditioner and that's it or do you follow it up with a regular heavier conditioner? I think a light bulb may have just gone on in my head...

I first step with the ASDA smart price (which is super cleansing, but rubbish as an actual conditioner), and follow it with somthing nice and heavy and coney (so I can actually detangle my hair).

afu
July 2nd, 2012, 04:07 PM

Some people do a two step and wash with cheapy followed by a heavier conditioner. Personally I find that if im not stripping my hair with shampoo i don't need the extra conditioning of a heavy conditioner so i just do a one stage with a cheapy cone-free (morrisons jojoba)

palaeoqueen
July 3rd, 2012, 03:30 AM
Thanks Loviatar, Tisiloves and Afu. I have a much better idea what I'm doing now so will get myself one of the recommended conditioners and give CO another shot :D

tinfoilsally
July 4th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Well, I did find some spin pins in Claire's as someone here suggested- but I thought &#163;5 was too much to pay for two pins, so I left it for now. Might get some if they're in a sale...

I don't know if this is old news, but they're selling knock-off Tangle Teezers in Primark for &#163;1.50! My friend who has a real Tangle Teezer tells me that the Primark one felt identical to hers, and so far I'm pretty pleased with it. I was wondering how long it would be before somewhere like Primark started doing them- they can't have been terribly difficult to replicate after all.

velvetvenus
July 5th, 2012, 04:48 AM
Just wanted to add to this thread (have been a lurker for a while but was soooo excited about this I had to get in there and share) that my local superdrug now stocks the dabur vatika oil, the dabur amla -both of which I love- and some other dabur oils I haven't tried. It ALSO has other indian oils like a very green amla one. I was so excited by this as I usually have to stock up online or on ethnic grocers. I just hope they keep selling this and it's not a trial run so LHC people who love these pils get shopping!

afu
July 5th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Just wanted to add to this thread (have been a lurker for a while but was soooo excited about this I had to get in there and share) that my local superdrug now stocks the dabur vatika oil, the dabur amla -both of which I love- and some other dabur oils I haven't tried. It ALSO has other indian oils like a very green amla one. I was so excited by this as I usually have to stock up online or on ethnic grocers. I just hope they keep selling this and it's not a trial run so LHC people who love these pils get shopping!

ooo brilliant, thank you :) I just rediscovered my vatika enriched coconut the other night and used it for a deep overnight oiling - the smell is so divine, lovely change from the usual coconut scent

velvetvenus
July 5th, 2012, 05:05 AM
You are very welcome :) My hair has been totally transformed from using coconut oil the last three months since discovering LHC and it especially loves the Vatika oil,yummy! My Superdrug is what I'd class as small-medium in size so bigger ones may have MORE! Exciting!

Paranda Belle
July 6th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Well, I did find some spin pins in Claire's as someone here suggested- but I thought £5 was too much to pay for two pins, so I left it for now. Might get some if they're in a sale...

I don't know if this is old news, but they're selling knock-off Tangle Teezers in Primark for £1.50! My friend who has a real Tangle Teezer tells me that the Primark one felt identical to hers, and so far I'm pretty pleased with it. I was wondering how long it would be before somewhere like Primark started doing them- they can't have been terribly difficult to replicate after all.

Primark has knock-off spin pins much cheaper than the ones in Claire's.

I missed the Primark Tangle Teezer the first time round and got it this time. The bristles seem harder and less flexible than the original, but then my Tangle Teezer could be a bit soft after two years of continuous use.

pink.sara
July 6th, 2012, 07:55 AM

I've been using this on and off since 2009 for growth, I buy this one: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://images.chemistdirect.co.uk/images/productimages/large/daktarin_aktiv_cream_2641.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/daktarin-aktiv-cream_1_2641.html&usg=__gthNQ5-sC5JZr7r7AHh1dWL4Pas=&h=250&w=250&sz=9&hl=en&start=15&zoom=1&tbnid=oeQhEoXxcgx2CM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=111&ei=CO32T5WCK8uU8gO44vCMBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddaktarin%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN% 26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

Usually from Tesco at about £2.50 per tube as it's the only one with Miconozole Nitrate in it, most others contain Ketoconozole which didn't seem to work for me.

I dilute about an inch in about 15mls of water in an old dye bottle then squeeze directly onto roots and leave overnight for it to really work. About 2-3 times a week ideally.

I wouldn't apply it neat though, just a warning it made me VERY spaced out and lightheaded to the point where I felt faint after using a whole tube neat once....
Hence the teeny bit shaken in water :rolleyes:

Might actually rejoin that June to December thread and try it again as it used to work to add some growth. :)

tinfoilsally
July 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Primark has knock-off spin pins much cheaper than the ones in Claire's.

Yeah, so I hear, but I couldn't find any in the Liverpool branch at any rate. It's a pity, I'd really like to try the whole spin pin thing but £5 seems ridiculous for so little!
I only just forked over £3.50 for two of the small-sized bun-maker-doughnut things in Claire's so that I could do Bjork buns on either side of my head... only to go into Primark today and see them there for £1.50 :steam
Oh well, learnt my lesson anyway. Just wait for Primark. :rolleyes:

joflakes
July 12th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Hi guys!

Does anyone know of a cheap shampoo that is SLS-free but also vegan friendly?

I'm finding it hard to get hold of any....I know the Superdrug own brand shampoo is vegan friendly but has SLS in it.

enjay
July 12th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Tinfoilsally - sock donuts are free! I've just discovered the wonder of the sock bun and there's no going back now!

pepperminttea
July 12th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Hi guys!

Does anyone know of a cheap shampoo that is SLS-free but also vegan friendly?

I'm finding it hard to get hold of any....I know the Superdrug own brand shampoo is vegan friendly but has SLS in it.

Many of Naked (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/hair-shampoo-conditioner)'s products are vegan friendly. :) They sell them in Boots. It's not super-cheap, at £4 for 250ml, but it's not bad. There's also Dr Organic (http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/Dr-Organic.asp) in Holland and Barrett, a bit more pricey at £5.39 for 250ml, which are "free from animal ingredients," though if you're a very strict vegan you'll want to avoid the honey ones.

I'm afraid they're the cheapest high street options I know of.

Tisiloves
July 12th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Many of Naked (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/hair-shampoo-conditioner)'s products are vegan friendly. :) They sell them in Boots. It's not super-cheap, at £4 for 250ml, but it's not bad. There's also Dr Organic (http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/Dr-Organic.asp) in Holland and Barrett, a bit more pricey at £5.39 for 250ml, which are "free from animal ingredients," though if you're a very strict vegan you'll want to avoid the honey ones.

The Naked detox is pretty strong, you could easily half and half dilute it or use a dye applicator bottle with a tiny squirt and some water.

joflakes
July 12th, 2012, 10:18 AM

Thanks so much! That's really helpful. I've been avoiding Boots as I don't have time to read all their brand ingredients but that is good to know. Yeah, I avoid honey but that's okay. I can read a few bottle backs! Dr Organic I haven't heard of but I go into H&B often anyway so I'll check them out when I'm in town next.

The Naked detox is pretty strong, you could easily half and half dilute it or use a dye applicator bottle with a tiny squirt and some water.

Cunning plan. I have an empty bottle in my bathroom! =)

tinfoilsally
July 17th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Tinfoilsally - sock donuts are free! I've just discovered the wonder of the sock bun and there's no going back now!

Haha, that is true, and I have made sock doughnuts in the past, but I have enough trouble finding a pair of socks every morning as it is! :p

Paranda Belle
July 17th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Haha, that is true, and I have made sock doughnuts in the past, but I have enough trouble finding a pair of socks every morning as it is! :p

I collect the socks with holes in to make sockbuns. I have a pile somewhere :o

The one thing about homemade sockbuns is that they are hard to put pins through so I have one from claire's when I need to pin anything into/onto the bun.

Paranda Belle
July 17th, 2012, 11:51 AM
It's not quite a product, but next monday's undercover boss on C4 is looking at Toni and Guy hairdressers. Somehow I don't think blowdrying and backcombing is going to be on the boss's list of things to improve!

Eolan
July 18th, 2012, 12:41 AM
This thread is just what I need! :thumbsup:

I'm going to England on my honeymoon in september, and was about to start a thread to get advice on where to go to buy hair stuff. Turns out I don't need to!

This thread has taught me that I have to go to Primark, Claire's, Boots, Superdrug, Poundland...

I was mainly after spin pins and Goody stuff, since we don't have those here. I also wanted to buy a Ficcare. Is there still somewhere I can get one over the counter? Harvey Nichols?

Thank's everyone! :cheese:

Eolan
July 19th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I's also like to know if one can buy Manic Panic over the counter somewhere.

Anyone? :)

afu
July 19th, 2012, 04:46 AM
I's also like to know if one can buy Manic Panic over the counter somewhere.

Anyone? :)

I've never seen it sold in shops here sorry, someone else may be able to help though. You can often find Directions (which is similar) in 'alternative' fashion shops

pepperminttea
July 19th, 2012, 04:53 AM
I've never seen it sold in shops here sorry, someone else may be able to help though. You can often find Directions (which is similar) in 'alternative' fashion shops

Ditto, I've never seen MP but I've seen Directions once or twice in alt shops. From what I've read though, Directions seems to work better for all intents and purposes. :)

Eolan
July 20th, 2012, 02:25 AM

Ditto, I've never seen MP but I've seen Directions once or twice in alt shops. From what I've read though, Directions seems to work better for all intents and purposes. :)

Thank you! We do have the hair colours here, but I know that Manic Panic does make up as well that has gotten nice rewievs. But then there is always the Interwebz, should all else fail. :)

afu
July 20th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Just a heads up for UK blondes who use toners - the superdrug colour effects in cool blonde (costs less than &#163;2 for about 4 applications) is brilliant :) after years of searching I've finally found something which actually does tone my hair! I left it on for 20mins instead of 5 and all the brassiness is gone

millyaulait
July 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Does anyone have any recs for UK conditioners, specifically for co-washing? :)

I can't seem to get a hold of our supermarket's own brand stuff, they are never on the shelves here. I live on a little northern island so I usually have to buy everything online.

So far I've tried Pantene Aqualight, Pantene Ice Shine, Inecto Coconut, Faith in Nature, Tigi, Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics, etc...

I feel like I need more of a 'cleansing' conditioner? I'm not sure. Just asking as a last ditch effort, I really want this to work for me but all of the above have been really heavy on my hair... :p

afu
July 21st, 2012, 12:25 PM

I can't seem to get a hold of our supermarket's own brand stuff, they are never on the shelves here. I live on a little northern island so I usually have to buy everything online.

So far I've tried Pantene Aqualight, Pantene Ice Shine, Inecto Coconut, Faith in Nature, Tigi, Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics, etc...

I feel like I need more of a 'cleansing' conditioner? I'm not sure. Just asking as a last ditch effort, I really want this to work for me but all of the above have been really heavy on my hair... :p

Id recommend finding a supermarket and using their own brand, simple conditioner as they are usually Cone-free. I have used Tesco smooth coconut and Morrisons jojoba with good results

pepperminttea
July 21st, 2012, 12:25 PM

Supermarket own conditioners! :) I use Tesco Smooth, I've also seen recs for Sainsbury's Apple conditioner, and Morrisons' and Asda's own conditioners for CO.

ETA: Oh derp, somehow I missed your second line. Sorry! :o Would it be worth just trying whatever you can find cheap there and experimenting for a while?

millyaulait
July 21st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Supermarket own conditioners! :) I use Tesco Smooth, I've also seen recs for Sainsbury's Apple conditioner, and Morrisons' and Asda's own conditioners for CO.

ETA: Oh derp, somehow I missed your second line. Sorry! :o Would it be worth just trying whatever you can find cheap there and experimenting for a while?

It's okay! :)

It might be worth it, I once got a hold of ASDA's second-cheapest conditioner, I think it was Almond Milk or something similar but it coated my hair. I also tried Tesco's Smooth conditioner but it coated too. Lol. Maybe my hair just hates conditioner!, but I have a lot of dye damage so I want to give it the biggest try I can before going back to S&C. I haven't managed to get a hold of Morrisons or Sainsburys stuff though so I will see what I can do with that! :)

Loviatar
July 21st, 2012, 12:39 PM
I swear by Sainsbury's Watermint and Sainsbury's apple, millyaulait.

millyaulait
July 21st, 2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks! I'll see if I can get a hold of it :)

tinfoilsally
July 25th, 2012, 07:15 AM

This is a really late reply, sorry, but the conditioner I use at the moment is my all-time favourite co-washer and it's quite cheap too. It also smells of orange sherbert, which I love love love!
It's GUM Florida orange conditioner (only picture I could find here: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzgwWDM4MA==/$%28KGrHqR,!o!E-z4MZv0-BPvV+K7NW!~~60_35.JPG), and I've never seen it anywhere other than Home Bargains. It's cone-free, and about £2 for a 500ml-ish bottle, so it's not the cheapest thing EVER, but I think it's reasonable. To be honest, I was just thrilled to find a cone free conditioner that didn't just smell of the usual Pantene-y or coconut choices of scent. Lovely orange, how I adore it! :p

shrimp
July 25th, 2012, 09:01 AM
(Wilkos have an orange sherberty smelling conditioner at the mo. It's on offer 2 for &#163;2 too. That range has a few fresh fruity scents)

palaeoqueen
July 28th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Early on in this thread someone recommended www.akamuti.co.uk and I just wanted to post to say that I've recently received my first order from them and I'm really pleased with it. I haven't tried everything yet but hair-wise I am currently testing their Murumuru butter as a pre-wash conditioner and as an end protector for when I braid/bun my hair.

Delivery was really quick and their new packaging is gorgeous. I love their ethical policy too.

Hope this helps someone (and no I don't work for them :lol:).

afu
July 28th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Just wanted to say that holland and barrett have their penny sale on again - good for stocking up on aloe vera gel, honey and any supplements :)

Othala
July 28th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Early on in this thread someone recommended www.akamuti.co.uk and I just wanted to post to say that I've recently received my first order from them and I'm really pleased with it.

I agree, they are brilliant (and I don't work for them either). I love their organic virgin Coconut oil. It is smooth, creamy and fresh. Only downside is that it is pricey at about £6 a tub, but that's because it is fairtrade and top quality.

pepperminttea
July 28th, 2012, 05:15 PM
UKers, what's your favourite leave-in/detangler? Bonus points if it's under a fiver and easily available. :D

Tisiloves
July 28th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Knots No More- Sainsbury's in the kids section, &#163;2.99 for 200ml.

It's mainly amodimethicone and smells of the exotic fruit section and strawberry cupcakes.

Becky9679
July 29th, 2012, 01:34 AM
I posted a new thread with a link to this earlier in the henna/herbal haircare section because I'd totally forgot about the UK supplies thread! Anyway, another website with henna, indigo, amla, cassia and other stuff. It's a little cheaper than henna boy but there isn't quite as much choice. My mum gave me some henna and indigo as she did a bulk buy from them but then decided not to use it again, I will let you know if it's decent quality! www.suvarna.co.uk

Also, those rubbish synthetic fibre turbie towels from the pound shop? Terrible for drying your hair as they absorb nothing but brilliant for wrapping your head in while you use henna, they keep the heat in wonderfully :D

Tisiloves
July 29th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Really? I find the turbie towels pretty good, you just have to swap them out when they're saturated.

More cheap UK henna, indigo and aritha on ebay with uk-blissfulblends (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/uk-blissfulblends/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754), the henna's really good.

pepperminttea
July 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Knots No More- Sainsbury's in the kids section, £2.99 for 200ml.

It's mainly amodimethicone and smells of the exotic fruit section and strawberry cupcakes.

Thanks, I'll give that a go. :) If anyone else has good cheap leave-in/detangler suggestions, let me know. :D

Loviatar
July 29th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Pepperminttea, this is totally stolen from Jacqueline101's blog, but she suggested making your own detangler/leave in, using your favourite condish diluted in water. I can't believe I've never thought of it. Most detanglers/spray leave ins are coney, which I hate. The only one I like is MOP Pear Detangler but it's about £10 and I only have it because a friend got it for my birthday.

I am going to try making my own with old school Biolage or MOP Mixed Greens and see how it goes. I'll be using bottled water, as my tap water is super hard.

pepperminttea
July 29th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the tip Lovi. :) I have tried it but it ended up either too heavy, or at steadily weaker dilutions, too drying - the latter I think because of hard water.

afu
July 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM
pepperminttea I use a blob of my normal cone-free conditioner (undiluted), I use morrisons jojoba, and follow with a few drops of sweet almond oil. I find sweet almond very light and amazing for adding slip and shine. after smoothing through with my hands I use a tangle teezer.

oh just realised, do you want this for dry or wet hair? I use the described routine on damp hair

AnnaB
July 31st, 2012, 03:13 AM
Hi guys.

If anyone like me, and has a hair in need of keratin and generally has damaged hair.

I personally struggled to find something suitable on the highstreet, but last week after work, I went into Sainsburys and found this-TRESemme-Keratin-Smooth-Masque. I paid just under £5.

I have never seen this line of Tresemme before and I am so impressed with the result. My hair is bleached and really over processed, I swear this has made it less mushy and less stringy when wet.

heres a link to a photo of the product, and it smells amazing too.

http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/cm/cosmopolitanuk/images/w8/17-160712-TRESemme-Keratin-Smooth-Masque-mdn.jpg

pepperminttea
August 3rd, 2012, 06:36 AM
Knots No More- Sainsbury's in the kids section, £2.99 for 200ml.

I picked up a bottle of this today, haven't tried it yet but I thought I'd give you guys a heads up - it's a third off at the moment, so it's £1.99 a bottle. :D Your description of the scent was exactly right too, thanks for that. :)

I also got some Boots Essentials Curl Crème, been wanting to try that forever. I had to try three branches to find somewhere that had any left in stock, and then I got the last tub. I think the woman standing next to me thought I was a bit mad when I spotted it, and couldn't help exclaiming "yes!" and doing fist pump. :o

millyaulait
August 3rd, 2012, 06:44 AM
Woohoo! Just stocked up on some much needed Aloe Gel from the H&B penny sale!

:cheese:

palaeoqueen
August 3rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
Woohoo! Just stocked up on some much needed Aloe Gel from the H&B penny sale!

:cheese:

Me too! Thanks for the reminder :D

afu
August 4th, 2012, 11:37 AM
hello everyone, does anyone here use shampoo bars and can recommend somewhere to get them? looking for something SLS, beeswax, cone and protein free. Etsy is great but it seems silly to ship something half way across the world and the UK sellers don't seem to have anything suitable

Loviatar
August 4th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Aromaville is a UK shampoo bar shop on etsy. I have a few of their shampoo bars. I can't give you ingredients yet though as the shop is on vacation!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AromaVille

afu
August 4th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Aromaville is a UK shampoo bar shop on etsy. I have a few of their shampoo bars. I can't give you ingredients yet though as the shop is on vacation!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AromaVille

Thank you so much :) they have a proper website which appears to be taking orders so I may order from there. Have you used them before?

The only other promising bars I've found which aren't super expensive are these:
http://www.oakwood-aromatics.com/shampoo.html#oily

clairenewcastle
August 13th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I was in the http://www.nutricentre.com/c-22-hair-skin-and-nails.aspx today where I noticed they have Faith In Nature shampoos and conditioners on offer at the moment

If you buy a shampoo you get a free conditioner.

And Faith in Nature do a chocolate shampoo and conditioner too!

I've used this range in the past with good results, so I bought the Lavender shampoo today and got the conditioner free!

joflakes
August 13th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I was in the http://www.nutricentre.com/c-22-hair-skin-and-nails.aspx today where I noticed they have Faith In Nature shampoos and conditioners on offer at the moment

If you buy a shampoo you get a free conditioner.

And Faith in Nature do a chocolate shampoo and conditioner too!

I've used this range in the past with good results, so I bought the Lavender shampoo today and got the conditioner free!

Ooh thanks for this! I have a full s&c set at the moment but I hope the offer stays on.

I've been using Faith in Nature s&c...the rooibos shampoo with chocolate conditioner (the store I got them from had no chocolate shampoo!) and my hair feels the best it has in absolutely ages.

RubySlippers
August 14th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Shout out to stone-bridge.co.uk (http://www.stone-bridge.co.uk) for quick delivery of a Ficcare Maximas. It came all wrapped like a present, with ribbon and a pretty cloth bag!

I'll second that! I'm in Ireland and it was still nearly no time at all!

Also, Melissa, the custie service girl was absolutely lovely!
Five :Star: s

clairenewcastle
August 14th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Ooh thanks for this! I have a full s&c set at the moment but I hope the offer stays on.

I've been using Faith in Nature s&c...the rooibos shampoo with chocolate conditioner (the store I got them from had no chocolate shampoo!) and my hair feels the best it has in absolutely ages.

You're welcome! I love the Faith In Nature range because of the purity of their ingredients. I haven't tried the Rooibos shampoo yet but rooibus tea is meant to encourage hair growth so I'll give it a go. I'm going back to stock up so I may buy that along with the Jojoba Oil conditioner.

joflakes
August 15th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Stone Bridge hair stuff looks awesome! I want I want! :)

clairenewcastle - Me too. That was the theory on the Rooibos shampoo for me, too! :laugh: It smells pretty good, which is a bonus!

whitedove
August 20th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Sainsburys have a half price on TRESSumme 900ml makes them &#163;2.50ish. Just been and brought 2 bottles for CO with and thought I would share :)

pepperminttea
November 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I've probably asked this before, but what are peoples' favourite 'coney conditioners? I like lighter 'cones, like amodimethicone and bis-aminopropyl dimethicone, but I'm having trouble finding one nourishing enough that doesn't cost the earth. Any thoughts? :)

afu
November 20th, 2012, 12:32 PM
The garnier fructis one with 3 oils has amo in it now, I think it's called repair and shine or something like that and you can get it from poundland - i stocked up the other week!

clairenewcastle
November 21st, 2012, 07:34 AM
I've just been on http://longhairedjewels.com/shop-ketylo.html and found that they've dropped the price of their Ketylos!!!

I'm not sure how long the sale is on but I ended up buying another one.....one of the acrylic pearl whites.

pepperminttea
November 21st, 2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the tip Afu; I did buy one bottle to try post-reformulation, sadly it doesn't agree with my hair, seems to dry it out (I'm guessing it's the increase of isopropyl alcohol). :(

makeminea99
November 21st, 2012, 02:35 PM
I've just been on http://longhairedjewels.com/shop-ketylo.html and found that they've dropped the price of their Ketylos!!!

I'm not sure how long the sale is on but I ended up buying another one.....one of the acrylic pearl whites.

OOh thanks for sharing this. I've been umming and aaahing about buying another for ages. And me with my birthday soon too! :-)

afu
November 21st, 2012, 02:53 PM
Arghh, stop tempting me! I hardly wear sticks anymore thanks to discovering forks a few months ago - but now I kinda want a crystal clear ketylo for winter!

Shebelina
December 15th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I need a little help from you lovelies!

I've been struggling with a soap allergy for a long time now, and I've finally discovered that it's SLS I'm actually allergic to. My problem is I can't seem to find a shampoo that is SLS free in my tiny seaside town. If anyone knows of one I'll be eternally greatful.

Tisiloves
December 15th, 2012, 01:26 PM
If you have a Boots they have Naked shampoos that are SLS free, or you could always give CO-washing a go.

Shebelina
December 15th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks Tisiloves, I'll look into the naked range. We do have a Boots here, but it's one of their smaller stores and it doesn't carry alot of ranges you'd find elsewhere. I'd been looking in the Superdrug here because it's bigger. Have you tried anything from the naked range? Are there any you could recommend?

I've been reluctant to try CO washing, as I used to suffer from an awefully greasy scalp, and I've been under the impression that CO washing may make that worse.

Tisiloves
December 15th, 2012, 08:49 PM
The Detox and Refresh was good, but that's the only one I've tried.

CO washing can be a bit either way, some people's hair gets greasier because they can't/don't get the surfactants to work properly, my hair's become a lot less greasy because I'm not stripping my scalp and causing it to freak out. CO washing can need a bit of tweaking to work properly, though, you need to find a good conditioner and work out a good method and rinse far more than you'd think you need to.

Shebelina
December 16th, 2012, 05:45 AM
I might look further into CO washing, it'll be worth giving it a go just to see what happens. Thinking back, my greasy scalp was pre soap allergy, my scalp produces very little oil at the moment and is very dry so maybe a little oiliness would be beneficial at this point. Thanks for your help Tisiloves.

tigereye
December 16th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Hey Shebelina. I'm not totally sure, but I think Alberto Balsam might be SLS-free. I only use their conditioner (because its cone-free, cheap and my skin doesn't react to the fragnances like it does a lot of conditioners), so I don't have the shampoo on hand to check, but I had a little glance in the ingredients when I first found the brand, and don't remember seeing any SLS in them. Asda, Morrisons, Poundland, Superdrug, and the bigger Boots stores all seem to carry it in both my current town, and my smaller hometown. Like I said, I'm not totally sure if they're SLS free, but just thinking it might be worth a look to check if you come across it.

Shebelina
December 16th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I hadn't checked Alberto Balsam yet, thanks tigereye. I found that the conditioner wasn't quite right for me awhile back, but I haven't used the shampoo. I know Tesco stock it, so I'll take a look next time I'm shopping.

brunette
December 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM
My problem is I can't seem to find a shampoo that is SLS free in my tiny seaside town. If anyone knows of one I'll be eternally greatful.
I like Tresemme Naturals, the family get on fine with it too. My daughter didn't like the 'smooth' one (said it made her hair feel like velcro but that might have been an issue with the way she rinsed) It seems to contain ALS instead.

Rosetta
December 17th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Hey Shebelina. I'm not totally sure, but I think Alberto Balsam might be SLS-free. I only use their conditioner (because its cone-free, cheap and my skin doesn't react to the fragnances like it does a lot of conditioners), so I don't have the shampoo on hand to check, but I had a little glance in the ingredients when I first found the brand, and don't remember seeing any SLS in them. Asda, Morrisons, Poundland, Superdrug, and the bigger Boots stores all seem to carry it in both my current town, and my smaller hometown. Like I said, I'm not totally sure if they're SLS free, but just thinking it might be worth a look to check if you come across it.
Actually, Albertos Balsam conditioners do have cones, and shampoos do have sodium laureth sulfate - the UK versions that is, in round bottles, maybe you were talking about the US version, in flat bottles? Though those shampoos (the US versions) actually have sodium lauryl sulfate, so an even harsher one.

(Sorry if I seem out of place to butt in an UK thread, but I have actually lived in the UK and used all of the above products, and happen to have a bottle of Alberto Balsam conditioner right now ;))

tigereye
December 17th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Actually, Albertos Balsam conditioners do have cones, and shampoos do have sodium laureth sulfate - the UK versions that is, in round bottles, maybe you were talking about the US version, in flat bottles? Though those shampoos (the US versions) actually have sodium lauryl sulfate, so an even harsher one.

(Sorry if I seem out of place to butt in an UK thread, but I have actually lived in the UK and used all of the above products, and happen to have a bottle of Alberto Balsam conditioner right now ;))

Ah. Pardon me. Yes I just went and looked at my blueberry condish, and it does indeed have cyclopentasiloxane in it. Guess ill be finishing the last of it and going on the hunt for an actual cone-free condish over Christmas.

theodora
December 17th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I use the Alberto Balsam conditioners quite a lot and consider them pretty much cone-free, in pratice that is, if not technically. Yes they have cyclopentasiloxane, but I haven't experienced any build-up with this (which I have experienced with cones like dimethicone).
I occasionally use them to CO wash, even if they're not my favourite for this purpose they still seem to work sufficiently.
I use the Strawberries and Cream on my dogs and they smell scrumptious :cool:.

Tisiloves
December 17th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Cyclo-cones are evaporating cones, you shouldn't get any build-up.

Shebelina
December 18th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all your advice everyone. I'm going shopping this evening, so I will annoy DBF by scrutinizing every shampoo bottle :p

If I do choose to go down the CO washing route, what conditioners do you suggest? I think my tresemme and VO5 ones are too heavy for the job. I do own a Morrisons one, would that be suitable?

afu
December 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all your advice everyone. I'm going shopping this evening, so I will annoy DBF by scrutinizing every shampoo bottle :p

If I do choose to go down the CO washing route, what conditioners do you suggest? I think my tresemme and VO5 ones are too heavy for the job. I do own a Morrisons one, would that be suitable?

I used morrisons jojoba for ages for CO and it was the best CO conditioner I've found, also good as leave in

Shebelina
December 19th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks afu, the one I own is the blueberry one, but it won't hurt to try.

My shopping trip wasn't very successful, I only found one SLS free shampoo. It was the L'oreal Everpure, but it was quite pricey for a tiny bottle.

Rosetta
December 20th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Cyclo-cones are evaporating cones, you shouldn't get any build-up.
Ok, I thought it was just the -ol ending ones (like dimethiconol) that evaporated, I remember reading that here (or maybe it was somewhere else) - could you please point me to where you found this info about cyclo-cones? :)

I use the Alberto Balsam conditioners quite a lot and consider them pretty much cone-free, in pratice that is, if not technically. Yes they have cyclopentasiloxane, but I haven't experienced any build-up with this
Well, by this criteria almost all conditioners would be cone-free in practice for me, as I haven't really experienced any buildup from most (probably none except maybe early Pantene) ;)

clairenewcastle
December 20th, 2012, 06:33 AM
The best cone-free conditioner I've tried is the Faith In Nature range. They are made with water from the Lake District, condition well and rinse out easily without leaving any residue behind.

willowcandra
January 5th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I found Tigi Moisture maniac shampoo 400ml £5 and 750ml conditioner £10!! at BN in Wantage today.

afu
January 5th, 2013, 03:18 PM
TK.Maxx has a lot of expensive hair products on discount at the moment :)

bunzfan
January 8th, 2013, 03:33 AM
I thought i had found a great shampoo for my fine hair only to just realize it has cones *noooo* can anyone recommend me a sulphate but cone free shampoo?? apart from the pantene aqua range?

Masara
January 13th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Just to check; you want a shampoo with sulphates but without cones, preferably for fine hair? In that case, try Aussie aussome volume. It's one of my favourites.

finzi
January 16th, 2013, 04:40 AM
To all UK LHCers who like Naked products! They're offering 35% off with the code CRUMPETSANDJAM until the end of January. This code applies to all full-price products EXCEPT the bundles. People have reported that the code doesn't seem to work with Opera browser.

Helenae
January 16th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Thank you for the above post! :)

Helenae
January 19th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Does anyone in the UK know where I can buy a good seamless wide tooth comb?

kaydana
January 19th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Does anyone in the UK know where I can buy a good seamless wide tooth comb?

The body shop do a wooden one for £4

freckles
January 21st, 2013, 06:17 AM
To all UK LHCers who like Naked products! They're offering 35% off with the code CRUMPETSANDJAM until the end of January. This code applies to all full-price products EXCEPT the bundles. People have reported that the code doesn't seem to work with Opera browser.
thanks! I will definitely be taking advantage of this :)

afu
January 21st, 2013, 01:47 PM
Boots have hundreds of hair products half price or on offer at the moment

Tisiloves
January 22nd, 2013, 03:51 AM
Suntekstore.com (http://www.suntekstore.com) has cheap sleep caps and clips, and free shipping worldwide.

joflakes
January 23rd, 2013, 01:14 AM
Does anyone know where I can get some BUAV approved, vegan friendly clarifying shampoo? I'm running out of the stuff I bought before I went vegan...argh!

Also, spin pins from Primark are awesome. I want some more but have no Primark near me....anyone know of any good substitutes that aren't really expensive?

kaydana
January 23rd, 2013, 02:38 AM
Does anyone know where I can get some BUAV approved, vegan friendly clarifying shampoo? I'm running out of the stuff I bought before I went vegan...argh!

Also, spin pins from Primark are awesome. I want some more but have no Primark near me....anyone know of any good substitutes that aren't really expensive?

For the spin pins, Poundworld sell some but they aren't as good as the Primark ones, and I've seen some in Tesco for £3.

finzi
January 23rd, 2013, 03:00 AM

I looked at the FAQs page for Naked (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/faqs), and only two of their shampoos aren't vegan (Shine Hydrating and Smooth Silky). Maybe you could try one of theirs? All their shampoos are on this page (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=shampoo&x=29&y=18). You can view a complete ingredients list for each product on their website, just click on the product to view its page.

ETA: I don't know what it is exactly that you look for in a "clarifying" shampoo so I can't really make any specific recommendations. Back when I used them, I would look for particular ingredients that would deal with whatever it was I needed to remove from my hair.

joflakes
January 23rd, 2013, 08:53 AM
For the spin pins, Poundworld sell some but they aren't as good as the Primark ones, and I've seen some in Tesco for £3.

Thanks!

I looked at the FAQs page for Naked (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/faqs), and only two of their shampoos aren't vegan (Shine Hydrating and Smooth Silky). Maybe you could try one of theirs? All their shampoos are on this page (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=shampoo&x=29&y=18). You can view a complete ingredients list for each product on their website, just click on the product to view its page.

ETA: I don't know what it is exactly that you look for in a "clarifying" shampoo so I can't really make any specific recommendations. Back when I used them, I would look for particular ingredients that would deal with whatever it was I needed to remove from my hair.

Thankyou! =)

Angelica
February 7th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Did some shopping yesterday in Claire's Accessories. There were sale items there. 10 for £10. I believe you didn't have to get the full ten, as each item was priced on the sales rack as going for just £1. Worth having a look :)

Sisko
February 21st, 2013, 08:41 AM
I can recommend:

http://www.billyinthetree.com/
http://www.akamuti.co.uk/
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/sect/NFTPCSH-Shampoo___Conditioner.html

Amazon also routinely stocks many of the products sold through these sites.

cathair
February 23rd, 2013, 08:01 PM

I believe this stuff:
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4701&prodid=5596

is BUAV approved and vegetarian friendly, not sure about vegan tho, they talk about their ethics in their FAQ:
http://www.avalonorganics.com/?title=FAQ%27s

You can get it in Waitrose as well I think. I haven't tried it, but I have been eyeing it up. I couldn't work out if you really need the clarifying conditioner that goes with it:
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4702&prodid=5597

Gonna have to check Primark out for spin pins, that sound very interesting indeed.

cathair
February 23rd, 2013, 08:29 PM
Suntekstore.com (http://www.suntekstore.com) has cheap sleep caps and clips, and free shipping worldwide.

Very good prices, but they have some quite scary reviews:
http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.suntekstore.com

worth a read if you are going to place an order.

cathair
February 27th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Had a look in Primark for spin pins but no luck :( Was wondering if they are something they have in all the time, or just some of it? Would they normally be with the hair accessories and jewellery, or more with the make up and hair care stuff? They are selling stuff in there called 'Argon Oil' in little glass vial for about £2, but the first ingredient is a silicone :S Like the stuff in Savers and Superdrug. I guess putting silicone in makes it cheaper or something? Seems wrong they claim it is oil on the bottle.

kaydana
February 27th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Had a look in Primark for spin pins but no luck :( Was wondering if they are something they have in all the time, or just some of it? Would they normally be with the hair accessories and jewellery, or more with the make up and hair care stuff? They are selling stuff in there called 'Argon Oil' in little glass vial for about £2, but the first ingredient is a silicone :S Like the stuff in Savers and Superdrug. I guess putting silicone in makes it cheaper or something? Seems wrong they claim it is oil on the bottle.

It's something they have all the time... in just a few shops. I can always get them in some Primarks and never in others. If you couldn't find them then you've probably got one of the ones that doesn't stock them.

afu
February 27th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Anyone interested in British hairtoys, I just got my first fork from this seller:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/NaturalCraftUK

Beautiful quality, so super smooth

clairenewcastle
February 27th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Anyone interested in British hairtoys, I just got my first fork from this seller:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/NaturalCraftUK

Beautiful quality, so super smooth

I've a couple of their hairsticks which I'm very pleased with. I bought them from http://www.longhairedjewels.com/ They sell some of their hair forks and sticks on an exclusive arrangement.

cathair
February 28th, 2013, 06:16 AM
It's something they have all the time... in just a few shops. I can always get them in some Primarks and never in others. If you couldn't find them then you've probably got one of the ones that doesn't stock them.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I have lucked out then! I will have to try the Primark near my Dad's place next time I go there.

wandlimb
March 1st, 2013, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I have lucked out then! I will have to try the Primark near my Dad's place next time I go there.

If they haven't got them, try Boots or Asda.

afu
March 1st, 2013, 11:43 AM
I got my spinpins from boots at christmas time, not sure if they still have them

Freija
March 1st, 2013, 04:23 PM
They definitely do - I bought a pack to try from my local Boots last week, and loved them so much that I bought a second pack (I can hold a bun with two, but three is definitely more secure) - and a pack of the minis - from a different branch a few days ago.

I don't know if it's just me, actually, but I could always feel a few hairs snagging or snapping when I used Bunheadz/Amish-style U-pins, just at the point at which I pushed them into my buns. I think that rather than sliding between the individual hairs, they would push forwards against some strands, stretch them, and snap them. I don't seem to have that at all with the spin pins, though: they just part my hair effortlessly. Has anyone else noticed this?

Shebelina
March 1st, 2013, 04:48 PM
The Morrisons here stock spin pins, I was a bit surprised to see them since it's such a small town, try there if you have one locally.

cathair
March 2nd, 2013, 08:01 AM
wandlimb, afu, Freija, my local Boots does stock them, I just thought they were a little bit on the expensive side. I wondered if I could get them any cheaper, because I seem to be getting through a few of them, the paint chips off or I misplace them (or the cat helps me misplace them). They are supposed to be building an ASDA here, I am not sure if they have started yet though. Shebelina, we do have a Morrisons which I will be going past on Monday, so I will check in there. Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

kaydana
March 2nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
cathair - You could try tesco. They have some for about £3. Not as cheap as the primark version, but still cheaper than the real thing.

afu
March 3rd, 2013, 09:22 AM
The spinpins I got from boots were in a giftset I got in the christmas sale for £2.50, they are topped with faux pearls and are probably different from their usual stock. I don't like the look of the buns I get from spinpins, but they are amazing for high cinnabuns for bedtime

faellen
March 12th, 2013, 05:54 AM
For those interested, Boots are currently doing BOGOF on Herbal Essences shampoos and conditioners. Only cost me £3.89 when I usually spend around £10 a time when I run out of shampoo and condish. Bargain for a poor student like me lol

I haven't used Herbal Essences in a while as I preferred the older formulas but I chose the "Herbally Ever After" special edition and it's actually quite nice.

Rainbow2911
March 13th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Boots have a treseme sale on atm. I've just fallen in love with treseme naturals conditioner so I was pleased!

Suze2012
March 14th, 2013, 01:30 AM
I hadn't seen this thread before.....

I recently tried out the Asda Smartprice conditioner 24p for 500ml.
It has a apple scent but isn't too strong and it seems to work for co washing and hasn't got any cones.

If I lived nearer to an Asda I would switch to it.

Tesco had a pricing blip when they repackaged their coconut condish - it was at £2 for 500ml but it's now back to 80p for 500ml and the name is now Indulgent Conditioner.
They've also added a Raspberry one which is nice too.

I'm testing out Glycerin & Rosewater from Boots £2.32 at the moment to see how my hair behaves with it - it might dry it out but I'll give it a proper test time as my hair seems to like it at the moment.

afu
March 14th, 2013, 10:19 AM
keep an eye on the glycerin for CO wash suze, always seems to build up for me

Suze2012
March 14th, 2013, 02:40 PM
keep an eye on the glycerin for CO wash suze, always seems to build up for me

Will do...thanks afu! :0) x

palaeoqueen
March 16th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Someone already mentioned them on this thread but I wanted to recommend www.akamuti.co.uk for hair and body butters. I've been using their argan oil on my hair for a while but recently tried the shea/olive butter and the cocoa/almond butter as an overnight pre-wash treatment and they're amazing. Great for dry skin too (they're actually body butters) but I love using them on my hair.

Also, I noticed that Boots have reformulated their Botanics range and the shampoos no longer contain SLS, hope this helps someone. I bought one today but haven't tried it yet.

Shebelina
March 19th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the reformulation of the Botanics range palaeoqueen. If Morrisons raise the price of L'oreal Eversleek I'll definitely take a look. Let us know what you think of it.

Rainbow2911
April 1st, 2013, 01:16 PM
Has anyone tried body fayre shampoos or conditioners? I saw them today on www.enaissance.co.uk and they look very gentle and natural,

TruePenny
April 1st, 2013, 04:32 PM
Hello Hello. I've seen a few people asking about spin pins and I don't think I've seen Bodycare mentioned. I bought a few packs of spinnies in there a few months ago and they weren't dear at all so if you're still looking, maybe give Bodycare a go? :)

Paranda Belle
April 11th, 2013, 10:44 AM
There are some gorgeous beak clips / fakkares in Primark at them moment with diamantes at only £2 each! They are quite substantial.

mashy
April 11th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I have some of those but without the diamonds and they are really good!

ysabet
May 2nd, 2013, 08:09 AM
So - brands/places to get good wide-toothed combs? I'm going to investigate the Body Shop wooden ones, although I've never used wooden combs before. I also have a Kent detangling comb, but it seems to generate amazing amounts of static, flyaway, and frizz, ugh. Might leave it for those days where I haven't combed my tangle-prone hair for a few days, and am about to wash it. Cheers!

faellen
May 2nd, 2013, 08:35 AM
I recently bought the Body Shop wooden comb for combing oil through my hair, I love it :)

mermaid-nina
May 2nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
I have Body Shop one too, about £4. I'm really happy with it :)

Suze2012
May 3rd, 2013, 12:33 AM
I've just bought some James Brown London hair serum from Boots which has seaweed in it instead of silicones.

I haven't tried it yet but it smells absolutely gorgeous!
It has some great reviews from other curlies dealing with frizz in humidity.

Suze2012
May 3rd, 2013, 01:12 PM
I tried the James Brown serum today.
It's great!

I bought it for very humid weather but decided to test it out.
My hair has been though wind, sun, high dew points and high humidity plus very dry air and still looks fantastic, curly and defined.

Having adored glycerin through the winter months...because that has been amazing for my hair I will be leaving it up to Boots Curl Creme until it gets very humid and then I will be opting for this to tame my beast.

My only issue is I wish the scent lasted longer as it smells so nice.

If anyone is interested it's this:
http://www.boots.com/en/James-Brown-London-Serum-50ml_49379/

And yes it is expensive..for me anyway at £7 but I think it'll work for my summer change in how to manage my hair. :0)
A little goes a long way though and once you rub one pump in your hands you know to only try that and then do another pump if you need it.

afu
May 8th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Thanks for that Suze, it's nice to see a silicone free serum :) i may have a look in my boots and see if they stock it (yay for staff discount!), i do love my nightblooming panacea however so may restrain myself for a while

Paranda Belle
May 14th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Not really a supply, more like hair inspiration. There was a show on BBC 2 about reconstructing a ball from Pride and Prejudice. They made authentic dresses, learnt how to dance the way the did and there were lots of lovely regency hairstyles going on. Sadly, they didn't really feature in the programme, but you can work some of them out by looking at them. Lovely braids/ribbon work going on. It's still on iplayer if anyone didn't manage to see it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01sf0q6/Pride_and_Prejudice_Having_a_Ball/

Lippytoes
May 15th, 2013, 04:00 AM
What conditioner would you recommend for CO washing - I'd like something that's not too heavy, and I'm sensitive to scents. I used to love the Boots pink conditioner. Is there anything similar? What do you UK CO-washers use?

millyaulait
May 15th, 2013, 08:13 AM
What conditioner would you recommend for CO washing - I'd like something that's not too heavy, and I'm sensitive to scents. I used to love the Boots pink conditioner. Is there anything similar? What do you UK CO-washers use?

I used to get on really well with Sainsbury's Apple conditioner, it's very cheap but pretty thick so I cut it with plenty water, which is awesome because then the bottle lasts even longer than expected. I would still be using it but after a few months my hair got used to it, and even after a clarifying wash & a couple of weeks of shampoo I just couldn't use it anymore.

When I used it I LOVED it though, it might work for you. I have never used any conditioners from Boots though so I can't compare. :)

faellen
May 15th, 2013, 11:11 AM

I don't CO wash but I love Inecto coconut conditioner, it's light, cone-free, smells like chocolate and I know quite a few UK ladies who use it for CO washing :)

Tisiloves
May 16th, 2013, 02:21 AM

Asda Smart price, I dilute with a bit of water.

Lippytoes
May 16th, 2013, 04:07 AM
I used to get on really well with Sainsbury's Apple conditioner, it's very cheap but pretty thick so I cut it with plenty water, which is awesome because then the bottle lasts even longer than expected. I would still be using it but after a few months my hair got used to it, and even after a clarifying wash & a couple of weeks of shampoo I just couldn't use it anymore.

When I used it I LOVED it though, it might work for you. I have never used any conditioners from Boots though so I can't compare. :)

I don't CO wash but I love Inecto coconut conditioner, it's light, cone-free, smells like chocolate and I know quite a few UK ladies who use it for CO washing :)

Asda Smart price, I dilute with a bit of water.

Thanks for the suggestions! Are the apple and coconut scents noticeable? I really can't handle strong smells lingering in my hair. :D I've heard good things about all these conditioners, though, so I'll have to ponder.

faellen
May 16th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! Are the apple and coconut scents noticeable? I really can't handle strong smells lingering in my hair. :D I've heard good things about all these conditioners, though, so I'll have to ponder.

Personally I think the Inecto conditioner smells more chocolately, like cocoa butter rather than coconut. I think your best bet is to open the lid and have a whiff in store, haha :)

Suze2012
May 16th, 2013, 01:51 PM

I use and have used the following:

Tresemme Naturals silicone free - lovely smell, cleaned well but was drying on my hair after only a few days use - roots were dry too.

Tesco coconut: this is a new recipe and has glycerin and mineral oils in it.
My hair likes glycerin if the weather isn't humid. So I use this for cooler weather. The coconut smell does linger but it's not noticeable to me unless my hair gets drizzled on.

Tesco Raspberry: Less potent smell and same ingredients as coconut pretty much.
Both Tesco ones are really good and my hair loves them.

Inecto Coconut: I found this in a Savers shop. If you go to their website there is a store locator. To me it doesn't smell choclately but more like a Burger King coconut milkshake (if they did one in that flavour). Again, the smell does not linger for me unless it rains on my hair and I have no brolly.

Morrisons Savers: Gentle fruity scent and is orange coloured. 24p for 500ml. The smell is very subtle and doesn't stick around. I like it and it cleans well but makes my hair feel really fine. Not my favourite.

Asda Smartprice Apple: As someone mentioned...yeah, it's good and not a strong smel. 24p for 500ml. I have tried it but can't get to an Asda. My hair liked it though and it gave the same results as my faves - Inecto and Tesco.

I haven't tried the Boots pink conditioner but I LOVE their curl creme and have recently bought some mousse (curly hair here) which has water soluble PEG dimethicone. I haven't tried the mousse yet but have been using the cone free curl creme for months and I love it. :0)

Suze2012
May 16th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks for that Suze, it's nice to see a silicone free serum :) i may have a look in my boots and see if they stock it (yay for staff discount!), i do love my nightblooming panacea however so may restrain myself for a while

You get a Boots discount? I'm older than you but will you adopt me? I'm really well behaved ..honest! Lol!

So..a review for you..

My curly mop likes glycerin in winter and cooler (even rainy) times but it doesn't mix well with hot, humid air and my hair!

I have so far tried the James Brown on wet hair after a leave in and after Boots curl creme and so far all I did was scrunch it in as I didn't want to smooth it when wet.
The instructions tell you to comb in through wet hair but I don't use a comb..

Anyway, scrunched in...meh! It's nice but doesn't quite hold up to claims...however...

Me with curly hair I wasn't sure what the weather was going to do today so I popped my James Brown serum in my bag..

This morning I went with winter care and spritzed glycerin on it...which was fine most of the day but I did get frizz coming out.
I went to my little bottle (as it is handbag size but a lot goes a long way) and I rubbed a couple of pumps into my palms and smoothed it on my hair and then scrunched (I know you are more of a straightee than I am...so no scrunching for you) immediately after each section of hair (I only did three sections)...and Wow! Frizz recovery!!
It worked on dry hair and lasted too!

It's possible I would have better results soothing it on wet hair but my curl might die. But this is great as a refresher..and would be brilliant for second day hair if it has got frizzy.

It still smells amazeballs too................!!!!!!!! :0) I want a perfume of it...!

Lippytoes
May 17th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Personally I think the Inecto conditioner smells more chocolately, like cocoa butter rather than coconut. I think your best bet is to open the lid and have a whiff in store, haha :)

Haha, yeah, I might have to try that. :D

I use and have used the following:

Tresemme Naturals silicone free - lovely smell, cleaned well but was drying on my hair after only a few days use - roots were dry too.

Tesco coconut: this is a new recipe and has glycerin and mineral oils in it.
My hair likes glycerin if the weather isn't humid. So I use this for cooler weather. The coconut smell does linger but it's not noticeable to me unless my hair gets drizzled on.

Tesco Raspberry: Less potent smell and same ingredients as coconut pretty much.
Both Tesco ones are really good and my hair loves them.

Inecto Coconut: I found this in a Savers shop. If you go to their website there is a store locator. To me it doesn't smell choclately but more like a Burger King coconut milkshake (if they did one in that flavour). Again, the smell does not linger for me unless it rains on my hair and I have no brolly.

Morrisons Savers: Gentle fruity scent and is orange coloured. 24p for 500ml. The smell is very subtle and doesn't stick around. I like it and it cleans well but makes my hair feel really fine. Not my favourite.

Asda Smartprice Apple: As someone mentioned...yeah, it's good and not a strong smel. 24p for 500ml. I have tried it but can't get to an Asda. My hair liked it though and it gave the same results as my faves - Inecto and Tesco.

I haven't tried the Boots pink conditioner but I LOVE their curl creme and have recently bought some mousse (curly hair here) which has water soluble PEG dimethicone. I haven't tried the mousse yet but have been using the cone free curl creme for months and I love it. :0)

Ooh, cheers for the suggestions. I'll have to see if I can find the Asda conditioner.

Boots' pink conditioner was amazing, but last I heard, it was discontinued. :( I'd be overjoyed if it's been brought back! (I live in Finland, so only have access to UK products once a year when I visit - hence my lack of info...)

Suze2012
May 17th, 2013, 12:20 PM
They went out of stock of their curl creme earlier this year but brought it back.
The only one on their website which is pink and which I know they stock is this one:

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Fruit-Essence-vibrant-colour-conditioner-400ml_1208378/

I have searched for more of their Essentials range as I use the Essentials curl creme and have got some of their hair mousse too but I haven't seen an Essentials pink conditioner.
I'll keep an eye out and if I do see one (as I suspect it's what you used to use) I will post back in here.

One more suggestion - a lady on here used to use the Tesco conditioner but ended up switching to a Morrisons one which is different to the one I mentioned and she loves it. It's green and is a Jojoba conditioner and from memory about 80p for 500ml.

I believe there is also a good apple and a coconut co made by Sainsbury's but I haven't tried it.

Just so you know..in case you don't already Asda stores tend to be huge but few and far between over here and not always easy to find whereas the other stores I mentioned (Tesco and Morrisons) are all on almost every high street and have smaller quick stop stores and huge stores at retail parks too..

All are cheap options so you have a few to choose from. :0)

Lippytoes
May 18th, 2013, 04:18 PM
They went out of stock of their curl creme earlier this year but brought it back.
The only one on their website which is pink and which I know they stock is this one:

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Fruit-Essence-vibrant-colour-conditioner-400ml_1208378/

I have searched for more of their Essentials range as I use the Essentials curl creme and have got some of their hair mousse too but I haven't seen an Essentials pink conditioner.
I'll keep an eye out and if I do see one (as I suspect it's what you used to use) I will post back in here.

One more suggestion - a lady on here used to use the Tesco conditioner but ended up switching to a Morrisons one which is different to the one I mentioned and she loves it. It's green and is a Jojoba conditioner and from memory about 80p for 500ml.

I believe there is also a good apple and a coconut co made by Sainsbury's but I haven't tried it.

Just so you know..in case you don't already Asda stores tend to be huge but few and far between over here and not always easy to find whereas the other stores I mentioned (Tesco and Morrisons) are all on almost every high street and have smaller quick stop stores and huge stores at retail parks too..

It was the Boots Essentials pink conditioner, yes! If it comes back in stock, do advertise that fact on this thread. :D

And oh yeah, I'd forgotten about Morrisons - definitely easier to locate than Asda.

Thanks again, everyone!

pixiestar
May 21st, 2013, 02:39 AM

I hope the pink conditioner comes back it was great.

Has anyone use the the boots pink fruit essence conditioner?

Elysium
May 24th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I've used the Boots pink fruit conditioner, I remember it being pretty good.
My current favourite conditioner is Tesco's Coconut Smooth, it comes in a giant bottle for €2.
Never noticed any build-up and it's quite light, great for removing henna :D

Firefox7275
May 27th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Lots of lovely products at British Curlies Curly Emporium that could be used by those with straight hair just as well - we are all after hydrated, healthy hair after all.

Suze2012
May 28th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I've used the Boots pink fruit conditioner, I remember it being pretty good.
My current favourite conditioner is Tesco's Coconut Smooth, it comes in a giant bottle for €2.
Never noticed any build-up and it's quite light, great for removing henna :D

I noticed the price you had up for this conditioner...just for your own sake check their Irish website for the price of it.
We had an old version of in in the UK which had a brown lid (not the new white lid) and the original brown lidded one was 80p for 750ml..which is just under one Euro.
They rebranded, brought out a 500ml version and had it priced here at £2.
I looked at their website though at the time and the price on the website was 88p for the new version - which is just about dead on one Euro.

Just take a look at their site to make sure that Euro price is correct - if it differs mail them and they should send you vouchers to cover the difference as they did with me.

It took several weeks for the pricing and labelling of all of their own shampoos and conditioners to be corrected and one of the shampoos was still priced at £2 rather than 88p for a good six weeks after I spotted it was wrong.

On a different note - all those who mentioned the Boots pink conditioner - .I will keep an eye out in the hope that it comes back and I'll post here if I see it. I'm always in Boots! ;0)

afu
May 28th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Also please be aware that the new formula Tesco coconut has different ingredients than the original (brown lid), if i remember rightly it now contains mineral oil

I love Alberto balsam mandarin for my ends, but not for my CO wash condish as it is too rich

kaydana
May 28th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Also please be aware that the new formula Tesco coconut has different ingredients than the original (brown lid), if i remember rightly it now contains mineral oil

I love Alberto balsam mandarin for my ends, but not for my CO wash condish as it is too rich

Nooo. I'm almost at the end of my last bottle of the original tesco coconut one, I hadn't realised they'd changed it. Why can't people just leave a good product be?

Suze2012
May 29th, 2013, 12:13 AM
I seem to get on alright with the new version to be honest and I have found my hair behaves the same with it.
I don't know too much about mineral oils.
The new version contains glycerin which my hair loves on cold days but not hot humid days much so I use Inecto if I know it's going to be warm.(however the Tesco one really sin't too bad on warm days either).

Alberto Balsam has cones so I avoid those as I don't want to have to clarify unless I absolutely have to.
So far with the new version of the Tesco Co I haven't had to clarify and have been using it as my mainstay for the past couple of months.
I've only felt the need to use a sulphate free poo once - but that was due to having had a flood and no water here for a few days.

Suze2012
May 29th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Not a hair product but has anyone tried Tesco hand wash in orange and lemon?
89p for 500ml of something you want to eat it smells so good... :0)

faellen
May 30th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Claires are currently offering 3 for 2 on hair things :)
http://www.claires.co.uk/hair/style/fcp-category/list?resetFilters=true

joflakes
June 5th, 2013, 07:53 AM
I've been using the Cherry & Fig conditioner of Superdrug's own brand hair stuff and it is wonderful! Also a bonus, it is BUAV approved, vegan, AND two for £1.50! Bargain. :D

Angelica
June 5th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Hi Joflakes, I have not tried their shampoos, but I do love Superdrug and it is great that their own brand is cruelty free :) They are also good value for money and so far I am very pleased with their products.

Jorja
June 6th, 2013, 01:23 AM
I've been using the Cherry & Fig conditioner of Superdrug's own brand hair stuff and it is wonderful! Also a bonus, it is BUAV approved, vegan, AND two for £1.50! Bargain. :D

It definitely is cruelty free, it really stings when it gets in your eyes! I quite often have to wash with my eyes shut as they sting too much to open! I love the Raspberry and Macadamia one too, smells lovely.

Paranda Belle
June 7th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Saw an imitation tangle teezer in poundland. It is really rough and bad so I wouldn't recommend it. Once poundland has a knock off, you know a hair toy is popular!

Othala
June 7th, 2013, 12:33 PM
1 litre of Morrisons value shampoo goes for £0.40! It has SLES and I clean the shower with it. It works better than the normal shower detergents and bathroom cleaners.

Ahl
June 8th, 2013, 08:08 AM

Picked up three different Superdrug naturals conditioners today on this recommendation (the cherry & fig does sound like a yummy combo! also grabbed coconut/sweet almond and raspberry/macadamia nut) -they're currently 99p each but on a 3-for-2 sale.

Ahl
June 8th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Oh! And their coconut oil was 2 for £3, normally £2.29 each.

Firefox7275
June 9th, 2013, 06:29 AM
New find in the £1 shop and BodyCare is Schwarzkopf Gliss ultimate volume conditioner (purple bottle); hydrolysed protein and panthenol but no silicones or oils. Not particularly slippy for those who are looking for a detangler but great for those who want patch repairs.
"Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Panthenol, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Keratin, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Isopropyl Myristate, behonoyl PG-Trimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, VP/VA Coplymer, Phenoxyethanol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Sodium Methylparaben, Hexylene Glycol, Parfum, Polyquaternium-37, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Amyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate."

afu
June 9th, 2013, 03:19 PM
im guessing superdrug coconut oil is highly refined for that price/has other stuff in it?

kaydana
June 9th, 2013, 04:00 PM
im guessing superdrug coconut oil is highly refined for that price/has other stuff in it?

Yes, it's hydrogenated coconut oil with perfume. It doesn't melt like coconut oil should, which makes it hard to apply, and it just seemed to sit on my hair and make it feel greasy. I threw most of the one I bought away. Horrible stuff in comparison with virgin coconut oil.