View Full Version : Supplies for UK LHC-ers!!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

BelleBot
April 18th, 2010, 06:43 AM
For those Flexi 8 lovers in the UK and Europe, I have just found out that Flexi 8s are now available on E-bay from a legitmate distributor for the UK and European market (I checked with John at Flexi-8 in the US and its all legit). They are called Simply Charming Flexi 8 Europe (UK).:)
They're more expensive than ordering direct from flexi 8 and paying for international postage. It's about £1.50 more for the large anyway.

annie09
April 18th, 2010, 08:37 AM
They're more expensive than ordering direct from flexi 8 and paying for international postage. It's about £1.50 more for the large anyway.

i got a medium delivered to my door for £6.08p from these ebay vendors so maybe depends on which you buy!

*Aoife*
April 18th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hello lovely uk-lhcers :) Just thought I'd say hi, this looks to be a really interesting thread, will have to read through it all. I'm currently on the look out for an sls-free and cone-free shampoo in the UK.

I found burt's bees shampoo in Waitrose the other day but at 8 pounds it's outside my price range. I recently bought J/A/S/O/N's apricot shampoo and then discovered that I'd somehow missed that it had cones :( but I'm going to look into the Naked shampoos mentioned a few pages back, they sound like they could be good. I've tried their Naked Rescue Repairing Hair Treatment. I wasn't too sure about the smell but it made my hair feel quite nice so *hopeful*

They're only ok. I sometimes use Naked Care conditioner and it is really conditioning. But it's impossible to wash off my scalp, leaves it looking greasy and awful. It's wonderful on my (damaged) roots though.

I got two for just over €10 including postage. I ordered off the Canadian version of the store though so maybe that made a difference.

BelleBot
April 18th, 2010, 05:47 PM
That's odd, the prices so far as I can see (with postage) are £16.50 for a large, £15.50 for a medium, £14.50 for a small and £13.50 for an extra small. That's from Simply Charming Flexi 8 Europe UK on ebay.
When on flexi8.com it's approximately £1 - £1.50 cheaper on all the sizes that's including international postage.

I can't find any cheaper, except for an american ebay seller who sells them for around £6 each inc postage. But they're just flexi barrette not actually advertised as flexi 8. That's Designer Store Elite Plus.
Ah well, I'm confused.

annie09
April 18th, 2010, 05:57 PM
That's odd, the prices so far as I can see (with postage) are £16.50 for a large, £15.50 for a medium, £14.50 for a small and £13.50 for an extra small. That's from Simply Charming Flexi 8 Europe UK on ebay.
When on flexi8.com it's approximately £1 - £1.50 cheaper on all the sizes that's including international postage.

I can't find any cheaper, except for an american ebay seller who sells them for around £6 each inc postage. But they're just flexi barrette not actually advertised as flexi 8. That's Designer Store Elite Plus.
Ah well, I'm confused.

oh rite probably got my venders mixed up there:confused: silly me

KarpatiiSiv
April 18th, 2010, 05:58 PM

Ah well, I'm confused.

The ones from the UK supplier do work out slightly more expensive but you would receive them within 2-3 days.:shrug:

The ones being sold by Designer Store Elite Plus are Flexi8s but they are old stock/designs, they are originals and new. A few members on the forum have bought from them and they seem happy with their purchases. I've actually ordered a few myself as the prices were so good.:D

Hemesut
April 26th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hi, I'm new. I usually buy in UK shops online shipping I live in Canary Island and is very difficult to find organic shampoos. I used John Master Organics shampoo and conditioner and I love it. I buy on lovelula.com. Do you know it? I like very much annita grant it looks gourgeous, somebody shopping there?

And I would like to buy flexi-8 where I can in uk web?
Thanks (and excuse for my bad English):cool:

Cupofmilk
May 8th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I would love to know if anyone has found any reasonably priced - sls and paraben and cone free products in the UK.

Part of the reason I chopped 20 inches off my hair was the itching on my scalp!

BelleBot
May 8th, 2010, 02:05 PM
"Naked" shampoos and conditioners don't contain any sls, parabens or cones. You can get them in boots. They're not the cheapest of products, but they're fantastic.

Most of the time I just use cheap conditioners such as boots essentials as they're cone free, do the job very well for CO (conditioner only) washing and only cost 58p!

humble_knight
May 8th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I buy coconut oil and jasmine oil from the Asian quarter of my town. Combs/brushes I've bought from Boots, or online sites, but my best find was in Wilkinson's - shower combs. I can't remember the cost off the top of my head, but I'm certain it was less than a pound. Their comb was excellent for making my hair look presentable before work, and it never ripped out any of my hairs as I combed it in a wet condition.

Masara
May 9th, 2010, 12:27 AM
"Naked" shampoos and conditioners don't contain any sls, parabens or cones. You can get them in boots. They're not the cheapest of products, but they're fantastic.

Some of the Naked conditioners have cones as I found out the hard way. I think it was Naked shine and it was a couple of years ago, so they may have changed the ingredients since.

Not necessarily cheap, but Urtekram products are quite easy to find in health food shops and they are SLS, cone, paraben free (in fact they have really short ingredient lists) I love the shampoos but I didn't find the conditioners moisturising enough for me

janeytilllie
May 9th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Naked shampoos in boots are sls, parben and cone free :)
Inecto coconut conditioner is cone free and very cheap. You can buy it in Savers and Superdrugs :)

Also in my experince. I find in most cases the shop's own brand eg ASDA, Tesco and Wilkinsons etc are cone free and cheap :D

BelleBot
May 9th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Some of the Naked conditioners have cones as I found out the hard way. I think it was Naked shine and it was a couple of years ago, so they may have changed the ingredients since.

Cheers for pointing that out, I don't have that particular conditioner, but all the ones I've tried so far have no cones. One for long hair, one for damaged hair and a vitamin enriched one. Can't remember the names off the top of my head. :)

Masara
May 10th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I've checked the naked website and naked shine still has dimethicone.
On the other hand I've used (and liked) Naked rescue which is cone free and I've got another one in my stocks which is cone free too.
I probably chose the only one with cones, knowing my luck :D

alwayssmiling
May 10th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Inecto coconut conditioner is cone free and very cheap. You can buy it in Savers and Superdrugs :)

Also in my experince. I find in most cases the shop's own brand eg ASDA, Tesco and Wilkinsons etc are cone free and cheap :D

Tescos Coconut conditioner is particularly excellent for CO washing (99p).

Verybadhairday
May 10th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Anyone know of any good curl holding gels in the uk?

FaeryTails
May 10th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I tend to use Boots Essentials Curl Creme or Umberto Giannini Scrunching Curl Jelly,
when I want to define my waves.

Verybadhairday
May 11th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Ok thanks, i'll look out for things like that and try some out :)

Bloodheart
May 19th, 2010, 05:25 PM

Agreed, I use the Boots own brand stuff (59p) - also perfect thickness for shaving, FYI, and the BEST stuff I ever used was Morrison's own brand - but they stopped selling it shortly after I discovered it :(

Bloodheart
May 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Guys - anyone know anywhere to get henna in the UK?
NOT Hennaboy.

jel
May 20th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Well, I have only tried Hennaboy BAQ and Lush from the UK. Oh, and a pack from Asda, which while finely sifted, left only a weak orangey stain.

I've heard good things about rennaisancehenna.com, but I haven't ordered from them (yet!)

Another possibility for me is incensemagic.co.uk, as the cassia I bought from them (a couple of years ago!) was fresh and high quality. They don't say their henna is BAQ, though...

BelleBot
May 20th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Guys - anyone know anywhere to get henna in the UK?
NOT Hennaboy.

I've used www.thespiceworks.co.uk (http://www.thespiceworks.co.uk) for henna, very reasonable price and well sifted, body art quality and leaves a good stain.

I might try www.spicesofindia.co.uk (http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk) though as it's very cheap, no idea of quality though.

*Aoife*
June 2nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Anyone who uses Boots own conditioner, which is better the pink bottle or the blue one? My little local Boots has them in stock now!

lauritta
July 3rd, 2010, 11:22 AM
Hello!
Love the thread.

I get most of my oils from Akoma and the last time I got my shampoos and conditioners from http://www.pure-girl.co.uk/. Great service. They delivered free as the value of my order was £46. Got some samples from them and a chocolate :)

I did not like faith in nature shampoo as it caused dandruff, which was gone as soon as I stopped using it. So far I liked Urtekram shampoo, Sante Henna shampoo and Sante conditioner.

I have just tried Heenara hair pack with henna and Top-Op indigo and I did not like the result. I want to colour my hair black. I wonder has anyone actually tried henna and indigo from Spiceworks, Shop holistic or Baldwins? They seem to be selling them cheaper than hennaboy.

Bloodheart
July 3rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
Anyone who uses Boots own conditioner, which is better the pink bottle or the blue one? My little local Boots has them in stock now!

A bit late, but...blue.
The pink one smells nicer (like candy) and I believe is meant for damaged hair, but the blue one seems to work better for my hair. Really though, at that price get one of each and see how they work for you - if no good for hair then you can give them to others or use for shaving rather than wasting.

*Aoife*
July 8th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks bloodheart, only saw this now.
I'm heading to London (and Bristol) in about a week or so. I was wondering if there are any shops that sell hair stuff (apart from Claire's). I know I'm not being very specific, but I'd just like to see what you can get in London.
TIA :)

Unofficial_Rose
July 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM
But 'they' have ruined Aussie Miracle Moist conditioner - it now has aminoethylaminopropyl dimethicone.

I wondered why my formerly favourite coneless conditioner was giving me build-up. Now I know. :mad:

Time to get back on the Aubrey, methinks. Grr!

Bloodheart
August 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM
BelleBot - thank you! :) I used thespiceworks and it was great, my new henna supplier now :D Recommended folks - it's body quality, only £2.88 per 100g, free delivery (fast delivery too!). It's a little bit bitty - not as bad as Lush's henna, but still a bit of a pain to wash out, but given it's price I say it's worth it. I had to rush to get the henna on my head so I only left it to develop for about 2 hours (with cherry and cinnamon herbal tea), and left it on for 2 hours max...worked better than any other henna I've used, a noticable red tone (my hair is naturally chestnut - medium brown with an orange/yellow tone).

kimki
August 9th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I just saw today that Poundland have packs of 5 satin scrunchies black, blue, pink, purple and one other colour. Guess how much :eyebrows:

Anyway, they aren't the best quality but if you like satin scrunchies, not bad for 20p each. :)

freckles
August 9th, 2010, 04:30 AM
In B&M the other day I bought a turbie-twist knockoff for 99p -- just in case anyone's on the lookout :) it's microfibre :)

Cupofmilk
August 9th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I have ben using the Asda Jojoba conditioner on the advice from here - 70p for a huge bottle and cone free!

dropinthebucket
August 11th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks so much for this thread! I've been reading through it gratefully. Coming for a 6-month term at one of the universities - I've been trying to figure out what I should bring with me, and what I can buy there - don't want to bring too much with me, but it is 6 months! :)

Haven't seen any mention of Palma Christi castor oil, or a similar light, pure brand in this thread yet - or whether you can easily get amla powder - anyone know? TIA!

Evie
August 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Just wanted to say I've had really great customer service from both akamuti and anita grant, so I'd recommend them both :)

I love Akamuti's coconut oil - not as cheap but unrefined and smells of coconut, I'd never used an unrefined one before, and it is lovely.

I ordered lots of anita grant sample pots (perfect for hols!) and I love all of them!!! I can see a new addiction coming on....;)

Evie
August 11th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks so much for this thread! I've been reading through it gratefully. Coming for a 6-month term at one of the universities - I've been trying to figure out what I should bring with me, and what I can buy there - don't want to bring too much with me, but it is 6 months! :)

Haven't seen any mention of Palma Christi castor oil, or a similar light, pure brand in this thread yet - or whether you can easily get amla powder - anyone know? TIA!

Renaissance Henna (http://www.renaissancehenna.com//renaissance-henna.aspx?page=productlist)
sells amla powder (you'll need to scroll through the product list but it is there), I've ordered from her before and have had great customer service :D

dropinthebucket
August 11th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Thnx, Evie! Will check them out. :)

brunette
August 30th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I get all my Indian herbs from www.spicesofindia.co.uk - from what I saw earlier I think you will find them cheaper.

janeytilllie
August 31st, 2010, 04:56 AM
In Poundland they are selling black and silver hairsticks. They are very pretty and only a pound for a pair :D

jhator
September 1st, 2010, 06:50 PM
If anyone uses or wants to try the Boots Naked range they have the shampoos and conditioners on offer at the moment at 2 for £6. I stocked up to save myself a little money :) I believe they also had the Naked intensive creams on at 2 for £10.

dianehair
September 2nd, 2010, 03:26 AM
Wilkinsons coconut oil.

Superdrug cheap own brand shampoo and conditioner.

Tesco olive oil.

Drynwhyl
September 2nd, 2010, 06:17 AM
I don't know if anyone posted, but www.aromantic.co.uk (http://www.aromantic.co.uk) has some very good oils, butters and other ingredients for making your (natural) cosmetics. Not only for UK LHC-ers, I'm in Serbia and I got stuff from there.

Oh btw, their shea butter is purified by diatomaceous earth and is white. Still is good!

janeytilllie
September 7th, 2010, 01:36 AM
In Poundland they are selling hair spirals. It comes in a pack of 5 :)

Also there's a cone free,parben free conditioner called
Derma pro24 soloutions honey conditioner.

My hair loves it and it smells divine. It's on sale for 75p :bounce:
However it does contain polyquat in it.

Ingredients

Aqua, Glycerin, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetrimonium chloride, Mel, Polyquaternium-7, Parfum, Citric acid, 2-bromo-2 nitropropane-1,3 diol.

I love Poundland! :inlove:

Evie
September 7th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Posted here about a UK supplier of oils (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54956) from ebay - just wanted to update that they arrived very fast and seem high quality:) They do really handy sample sizes too!

ooo
September 7th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I'm leaving for the uk (London) in about an hour. :cheese: Any reconsiderations what I should get?

BelleBot
September 7th, 2010, 08:15 AM
You can get the Goody spin pins and modern up do pin in Asda, not seen them in there before, so they might be a recent thing. They're just under £5 each I think, so a little pricey, but I guess better than ordering them from the states if you're after them.

KarpatiiSiv
September 7th, 2010, 02:41 PM
You can get the Goody spin pins and modern up do pin in Asda, not seen them in there before, so they might be a recent thing. They're just under £5 each I think, so a little pricey, but I guess better than ordering them from the states if you're after them.

I noticed these in my local Asda at the weekend and think it is a new thing, they have a lot of Goody hair accessories that I hadn't seen there before.:)

brunette
September 7th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks Bellebot I bought a Goody Modern Updo pin today after I saw your post :D I think I like it so far. Hmm...

janeytilllie
December 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM
In Boots they now have the Tresemme naturals line. They are also on offer for buy one get one free :D

daaisychains
December 16th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Right lovelys, the only people i trust when it comes to hair things apart from myself is you lovely people. So i would like your opinion on two things:

1) Firstly, the boots own brand 89p conditioners, i CO and purchased the Jojoba and Honey, and the Coconut and Almond ones today, yey or nay? I just read the list and realised theyve changed the ingredients so they now contain 'cones. Gah, frustration.

2) Also i have some left over products from the inecto bodycare range.. I first purchased this when i was not a LHC member but thought i was being kind to my hair because they products said coconut oil. I've had since learned that they are no good and discontinued my use some months ago.

Can anyone explain why they aren't the best hair care products?
Should i finish up my stash or just bin it? Nb, i don't mind binning it if it's damaging as it wasn't at all expensive.

Thank you.

daaisychains
December 16th, 2010, 03:45 PM
*UPDATE* - okay silly me just did my research via the LHC search tool.
I've since learned that that the inecto conditioner is fine, but the leave in -i assume this includes the glossing spray?- contains bad stuff.

So scrap that.

But opinions, is it worth using the 89p Boots conditioners even though they BOTH contain Dimitheicone, or should i just scrap them and buy the conefree inecto conditioner for £1.49 from bodycare?

x

Sweet_Decadence
December 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I have the 89p Jojoba & Honey conditioner and the Inecto Coconut conditioner. I haven't tried out the Boots one yet but I will tonight.

Balenciaga
December 19th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I went into Superdrug today and my favourite Henna and Chestnut conditioner seems to be gone :(
I'm hoping that this is just due to low supplies and that it hasn't been discontinued.

myria
December 24th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I was in superdrug earlier and their hair cutting scissors were gone! Thinning ones were still there but proper cutting ones weren't. :( I hope everyone in town also decided that they needed an xmas trim, not that they've stopped carrying them.
Oh and if anyone's interested semichem have the new brown batiste on offer for £1.99. I got it and a 1l bottle of hair fruits honey and jojoba conditioner (for CO) for £3 :)

pepperminttea
December 24th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I was in superdrug earlier and their hair cutting scissors were gone! Thinning ones were still there but proper cutting ones weren't. :( I hope everyone in town also decided that they needed an xmas trim, not that they've stopped carrying them.

Not that it helps much, but I got my hair scissors on eBay.

myria
December 24th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I think it might come to that. I'll wait and see if they're in stock after xmas first though. Was worried if I got ebay ones they might be rubbish quality and thought they might not be allowed in the post and get confiscated.

Timkerbelle
December 27th, 2010, 03:58 PM
This is so helpful! It can be difficult finding things like cone free conditioners etc

mneh
January 6th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I think it might come to that. I'll wait and see if they're in stock after xmas first though. Was worried if I got ebay ones they might be rubbish quality and thought they might not be allowed in the post and get confiscated.

I buy my hairdresser's scissors on eBay too and have found them to be good quality. I have had no problems with getting them delivered from England to Ireland, but I can see why you could have concerns, given that airports and Royal Mail can be bloody security conscious these days :)

starlights
January 6th, 2011, 05:47 PM
OH WOW, i never knew tesco did 99p coconut oil... what section is it found in? i never ever seen it (have looked!)
mmm i buy the 99p palmolive honey conditioner, smells yummy yum!!

LovelyL
January 23rd, 2011, 12:57 AM
http://www.jaffahair.co.uk/
I thought I should share this shop with my fellow LHCers, it's the only place I've ever seen in the UK dedicated to hair toys. However their stock at the moment leans heavily towards plastic junk :(
when I was in there yesterday, I recommended Ficcare to the shop assistant, who did seem keen to pass this on to her boss. Indeed I think I will be sending them an email with a bit of a wishlist of what people on LHC like to use in their hair. Apart from Ficcare, I guess that would include: more wood/horn toys (to help with static), hair sticks/forks with wave/spiral designs that hold a little better than completely flat ones...

either PM me I guess, or check out their website for their email! Maybe us Brits too can have a place to see hair toys in person, rather than buy online.

insomniac-uk
January 23rd, 2011, 10:46 AM
Hi everyone, could someone please recommend some websites where i can buy some henna from.

claireozzy
January 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone, could someone please recommend some websites where i can buy some henna from.

Hi, the cheapest i found is http://www.hennaherbals.co.uk/ but ive heard that http://www.henna-boy.co.uk/ is another good one,

insomniac-uk
January 23rd, 2011, 09:04 PM
Thank you so much :)

clairenewcastle
January 25th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Maybe us Brits too can have a place to see hair toys in person, rather than buy online.

I'm going to add a link to http://www.folksy.com/shops/Luckypurple where I've bought a lot of hair sticks.

The seller is based in the UK and doesn't charge postage for UK buyers.

I've photos of the hairsticks in my "Hair" album.

I'd love to find a shop on the British high street that sells a good selection of LHC style hair toys, hair sticks in particular. I'm in the north-east and apart from "Claire's" there's absolutely nothing.:(

dropinthebucket
January 25th, 2011, 08:38 PM
We should start one! :D

clairenewcastle
January 25th, 2011, 08:51 PM
We should start one! :D

I agree! We need to educate the British public to the joys of shopping for hairsticks! :D

freckles
January 26th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I'm normally a Boots fangirl, but on a whim the other day I stepped into Superdrug. Their own brand shampoos&conditioners are really reasonably priced, and best of all (for me), they label which ones are vegan! What a relief :) From what I can read (my cone-related ingredients reading is not great) the conditioners (or at least, the one I bought) seem to be cone free -- though the shampoos contain SLS. I got the cherry & fig (both shampoo and conditioner).

Also, they have scented (not unrefined, but scent-put-back-in) coconut oil for either £1.99 or £2.99 (can't remember). Not sure how that compares to 'normal' coconut oil, but I got a pot and I'm planning to start a thread to ask LHC what they think :)

bunzfan
January 26th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I agree! We need to educate the British public to the joys of shopping for hairsticks! :D

Oh yeah we do, i wish i could get some in the country a bit more you can't buy a lot on etsy due to the customs tax :mad:

catiebloo
February 11th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I know this is a bit old but i though you UK-ers might like to know that Tesco are currently selling Alberto fruit conditioners (Sunkissed Raspberry, pomegranate, blueberry, apple, tea tree etc....) on offer at the moment...4 bottles for £3!

I had a swizz through the ingredients & didn't see any sulphates or cones....but maybe someone else can say whether they are free from them for sure!

Cupofmilk
February 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I'm going to add a link to http://www.folksy.com/shops/Luckypurple where I've bought a lot of hair sticks.

The seller is based in the UK and doesn't charge postage for UK buyers.

I've photos of the hairsticks in my "Hair" album.

I'd love to find a shop on the British high street that sells a good selection of LHC style hair toys, hair sticks in particular. I'm in the north-east and apart from "Claire's" there's absolutely nothing.:(

I have just ordered a custom Holly stick from there. Can't wait x

insomniac-uk
February 12th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Hi i was searching for cassia henna and i found this website has anyone used them before?
http://www.bristolbotanicals.co.uk/pr-2084

lunalovegood
February 13th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I've bought a few things lately:
Fakkare - Claire's Accessories. It's the same shape as the Maximas, but not very big. I've never seen a real Ficcare, so I can't compare the size, but I can just about put my hair up with it. I got the bronzey-brown colour; they also had silver. They both have little cut out swirly shapes on them - quite pretty.

Microfibre hair wrap - Poundland. It's not very big either!

Dead Sea Natural Mineral Shampoo - this says "Yarden" and "J. Malki products" on it. It's sold in Boots, but my local one didn't have it so I ordered it and collected instore. I was intrigued because it's made of a blend of olive, palm and coconut oil with no synthetic detergents and seems to be good for problem scalps, plus I've been dabbling with oil shampoo thanks to the movie star shampoo thread. I have a couple of patches of itchy/flaky skin on my hairline that never go away. I've been using the shampoo for a couple of weeks and they do seem a bit better, so I'm hopeful that this might banish them in time.

sunnyhope
February 13th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Tesco's sells solid coconut oil by the very large jar for 99p.

wg

what tesco would that be? as at my local one in dover, whitfield they looked at me like i was from the moon.

i ended up ordering it from ebay....

brunette
February 13th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I've bought a few things lately:
Fakkare - Claire's Accessories. It's the same shape as the Maximas, but not very big. I've never seen a real Ficcare, so I can't compare the size, but I can just about put my hair up with it. I got the bronzey-brown colour; they also had silver. They both have little cut out swirly shapes on them - quite pretty.

Aw that is the best affordable fakkare clip ever, it's got a great grip that is comparable to a Ficcare medium Maximas, I got one from another member at a meet and it was my favourite and I still use it when I am not wearing a stick or a Ficcare :D The colour does peel off after a while, not sure if it's from getting rained on or what, but it is silver underneath. Mine is currently a bit patchy but I continue to use it! I got a similar one in brushed silver from Boots and it hasn't got such a good grip

sunnyhope
February 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Oh wow, I go on holiday for a couple of weeks and look how this thread has grown! :-D

Thanks to everyone for the great advice with the SMT condish, now just need to go choose one...decisions decisions!!

And for the person who asked about shampoo bars, I was given one from Lush a while ago, but I don't know what the ingredients were...but the Lush staff are always so helpful that I'm sure if you went in they could sort you out!

i belive bomb cosmetics sells shampoo bars , dont know to much about it though.

enfys
February 25th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Boots are doing a big accessories clearance at the moment; Babyliss, Suncii and own brand stuff is stupidly cheap. I bought 2 large, 10 medium and 12 mini claws for less than £4!

They also have a mini/small fakkare in purple with a silver border; most convincing fake I've ever used. I bought...8 or 9 I think. DH was totally fooled and almost soiled himself when he saw the first two, thinking I was wearing £50 worth of new toys :lol:

Lots of pretty little clippes and slides and all sorts. I've seen this in a few different stores here so I think it's being rolled out large-scale.

Teufelchen
February 26th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I guess I will stop at Boots on Monday after Uni. ;)

freckles
February 26th, 2011, 08:06 AM
ooh, I will try to get to Boots soon in that case :)

brunette
February 26th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Just been in my Boots, no sale on yet. I'll check again on Monday when I'm passing there :)

KarpatiiSiv
February 26th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I was in my local Boots yesterday and there was no sale going on. :(

pepperminttea
February 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM
They also have a mini/small fakkare in purple with a silver border; most convincing fake I've ever used. I bought...8 or 9 I think.

I'm desperately searching for these but they don't seem to appear on the Boots website. :( I don't suppose you remember the exact wording on the packaging? I have a nasty feeling I've missed them.

KarpatiiSiv
February 27th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I'm desperately searching for these but they don't seem to appear on the Boots website. :( I don't suppose you remember the exact wording on the packaging? I have a nasty feeling I've missed them.

I also did a major search of Boots website today but found nothing.:confused: I'm wondering if it is excess stock being sold off in the stores and unfortunately not in every store as I found nothing in my local one.:(

enfys
February 27th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Oh pants. I'll see if I have any of the cards they came on. I got so many to hack the colour off and repaint, so you won't want them. I looked online and didn't see any a few days ago, but their site is hugely lacking anyway; 60p pink conditioner isn't on there!

The sale was mainly on in the large, city centre store. Are you looking in the types of stores that have concessions type counters? The smaller stores carried a smaller range to begin with so have less clearance stock.

I expect people to have bought up to sell on eBay, since that was DH's first suggestion too.

Svenja
February 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM
What's that 60p pink conditioner all about? I cannot recall having ever seen that one.

enfys
February 27th, 2011, 02:53 PM
What's that 60p pink conditioner all about? I cannot recall having ever seen that one.

It's in the Boots Essentials range. It's 500 or 600ml and it's one of the very very few cone-free conditioners that work for me, while also being the cheapest and most easily found...in real life anyway!

papillion
March 1st, 2011, 07:58 AM
Boots are doing a big accessories clearance at the moment; Babyliss, Suncii and own brand stuff is stupidly cheap. I bought 2 large, 10 medium and 12 mini claws for less than £4!

They also have a mini/small fakkare in purple with a silver border; most convincing fake I've ever used.

Thanks for the tip! I managed to get the last of the little purple fakkares in one shop... it's a really lovely clip. I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for some more!

Teufelchen
March 1st, 2011, 11:16 PM
Tresemme Naturals is 4,50£ for 2 Bottles at Boots, if anyone is interessted.

pepperminttea
March 2nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
Norfolk appears to be out of purple fakkares. :( If anyone goes into a Boots and they have loads, I'd happily buy 4 off you and cover postage? :)

pixiestar
May 2nd, 2011, 01:29 AM
Hi, can anyone recommend a gentle sls free shampoo:)
Has anyone tried the JASON range, the aloe vera or jojoba shampoo and condioners?

Paranda Belle
May 2nd, 2011, 01:53 AM
The 99p store has got a pack of 2 sparkly beak clips which is a bargin. I paid £2 for a similar one last year.

pixiestar
May 2nd, 2011, 04:34 AM
I've just bought some lavender eo and teatree eo in wilkinsons for £1.57 each. They have eucalyptus eo as well:D
Sainsburys own herbal teabags for 20, 64p each. I've got chamomile bags and rosehip and hibiscus ones to mix with henna:)

pepperminttea
May 5th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Boots has a 3 for 2 offer on their Essentials conditioners. If you're near Norwich, their Castle Mall branch is now out of stock of the pink conditioner. :lol: (In my defence, they only had four bottles left.)

Also, Yours has some nice scarfs 3 for £12; the square ones are large enough to make a good tichel for those who like head coverings. :D

Paranda Belle
May 6th, 2011, 07:52 AM
The big bottles of tresemme naturals are around a fiver and buy one get one free at superdrug.

jhator
May 6th, 2011, 12:08 PM

I like the Naked range in Boots, but I haven't found their shampoos to be strong enough to remove coney conditioners. It works well with Naked's own conditioners though.

Also, I noticed Boots stock Goody's spin pins now, it's £4.99 for two. I got a pack of them and to my astonishment...they work :D

RebeccaG
May 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Has anyone tried the JASON range, the aloe vera or jojoba shampoo and condioners?

I get on well with the faith in nature shampoos and conditioners, I get mine in the local health food shop- about £4.80 a bottle so pretty reasonable for SLS and cone free.

celebriangel
May 6th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I haven't, um, actually *used* it yet, but I just bought a boots rainforest conditioner that's everything-free (cones, sls, parabens). Most of them smell a bit like banana, but I got the colour care one because it smells lovely :) I'll report back with results.

I get along beautifully with superdrug's essentials Peach conditioner, 59p for 500ml. Superdrug are also now stocking goody spin pins (love! Love! Unexpected love!) and their own brand poo/condish (from which the coconut and almond oil cone-free one) is currently 2 for £1.99 I got the last coconut and almond oil in the store I was in, but I think the others in the range are nice too.

Wait a second...*looks around suspiciously*. Is it possible TLCHers have cleared out the coconut and almond oil one? Because the others were all still there, and the coconut one was GONE.

pixiestar
May 8th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I haven't, um, actually *used* it yet, but I just bought a boots rainforest conditioner that's everything-free (cones, sls, parabens). Most of them smell a bit like banana, but I got the colour care one because it smells lovely :) I'll report back with results.

I get along beautifully with superdrug's essentials Peach conditioner, 59p for 500ml. Superdrug are also now stocking goody spin pins (love! Love! Unexpected love!) and their own brand poo/condish (from which the coconut and almond oil cone-free one) is currently 2 for £1.99 I got the last coconut and almond oil in the store I was in, but I think the others in the range are nice too.

Wait a second...*looks around suspiciously*. Is it possible TLCHers have cleared out the coconut and almond oil one? Because the others were all still there, and the coconut one was GONE.

Is the superdrug coconut/almond shampoo sls free?
Fancy trying if it is:D

Aredhel77
May 8th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Tresemme Naturals is 4,50£ for 2 Bottles at Boots, if anyone is interessted.

on 3 for 2 offer at the moment, I think! (or was)

Aredhel77
May 8th, 2011, 02:03 AM

I have tried Jason apricot conditioner (liked a lot) and the Sea Kelp & Plumeria shampoo & conditioner (loved, very moisturising). They seem like a good range. Faith in Nature also are good and the Naked range in Boots is fine too. My hair likes a lot of things though

salls
May 8th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Boots now have tangle teezers in store if any one is interested.

pixiestar
May 8th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I have tried Jason apricot conditioner (liked a lot) and the Sea Kelp & Plumeria shampoo & conditioner (loved, very moisturising). They seem like a good range. Faith in Nature also are good and the Naked range in Boots is fine too. My hair likes a lot of things though

thank you Aredhel77:blossom: I might try something from the JASON range:)

kyandii
May 8th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Very very glad I found this thread! :D

RachieBaby
May 9th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Anyone have any ideas where I can buy goody spin pins from apart from Asda? :)

kyandii
May 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Anyone have any ideas where I can buy goody spin pins from apart from Asda? :)

I found them in boots and Claires. :)

RachieBaby
May 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Really? I couldn't find them on the Boot's website! :O i'll have a look in both shops when I next go into town! Thank you :)

kyandii
May 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Strange!
I was in my local boots with my friend and she said they looked like torture devices. :laugh:

RachieBaby
May 9th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I'll have a look in store :) I hope my local claires and boots has them *crosses fingers*

RachieBaby
May 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Ok managed to find them in Claires Accessories :D wooo!

celebriangel
May 11th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Is the superdrug coconut/almond shampoo sls free?
Fancy trying if it is:D
I don't think so, I'm afraid - otherwise I would have bought it. The conditioner is conefree, though. So far, hair loves it! I used it in an SMT the other night with *awesome* results. I feel like I'm finally starting to get my thickness back...

I need to do another trial of the body shop one, because I used it pre-SMT, but I think the SMT is very cleansing so in future I'll do a CO wash before SMT. I only wash once a week so it takes me a while to decide if I like something! It smelt lovely, though, and as long as you rub it in your hands with a little water it lathers beautifully; in fact, I can get away with much less of this than I could with my previous shampoo (Tressemme, with SLES). Which means, even though it's a bit more expensive, it should last ages.

pixiestar
May 11th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Thank you celebriangel, I will give the shampoo a miss :) I've bought the boots pink conditioner to try already. I will try the superdrug conditioner next.:)

Paranda Belle
May 13th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Claire's accesories have a rather nice hair comb which I've been using to hold up a nautillus. Has nine prongs and is £2.50. Only problem is that it's made out of plastic and its corners might be a bit sharp for the people who worry about things like that.

salls
May 13th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Claire's accesories have a rather nice hair comb which I've been using to hold up a nautillus. Has nine prongs and is £2.50. Only problem is that it's made out of plastic and its corners might be a bit sharp for the people who worry about things like that.

All of their hair stuff is also 3 for 2 including goodys spin pins and other fun things, I got some today.

Becky9679
May 14th, 2011, 08:27 AM

I was just in Superdrug today checking their own brand shampoo and conditioner and most of them are also vegan friendly - they actually label the bottle as such which is rare for a high street company and excellent for me! I'm in the market for something new - I've been using Lush products since I was in my teens but since joining this board I've discovered that although they are cone free, all of the haircare products have SLS, even the conditioners. Also Lush products are pretty damn expensive and I don't really want to use up a whole £12 bottle of conditioner to rinse out my henndigo. At the prices Superdrug charge even if I hate the stuff I won't have wasted much money!

kyandii
May 14th, 2011, 10:45 AM
All of their hair stuff is also 3 for 2 including goodys spin pins and other fun things, I got some today.

I went and abused this deal today! Got loads of goodies. :cheese:

celebriangel
May 19th, 2011, 10:31 AM

OH, I totally abused that too :) I got spin pins, more hairsticks (I really want some more that aren't Claire's, though the Claire's ones are nice, but I don't has the money...maybe if Nightshade puts up a *really* pretty pair I'll call it an investment :D)and a fakkare. The fakkare is lovely but it has a teeny little fault on the bottom that's catching my hair, so I'll have to sand that down before I can wear it.

As far as the body shop conditioner goes, I love it! I used it on my length the other day because I got gunk in it, really lathered up well, and my hair still came out really soft. You don't need much, either - I went for the small bottle and it's still going to last me ages. I put a pea-sized drop on my hand, add a dribble of water, lather, and apply to the top of my head; repeat for underneath, massage gently towards the crown, and rinse.

I also used handfuls of the superdrug cheapo conefree to get out my henna the other day. It worked like a charm, and though I used about half a bottle, it only cost me about 30p :cheese:

Interesting that so many like Lush products here. I hate them because they smell so strongly; I was dragged into a shop once and felt like someone had smashed a bottle of oil of scallatine. I physically cannot go in there without feeling extreme sensory pain and getting a massive headache. Weird, huh? :shrug:

kyandii
May 19th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I don't suppose any of you know where I can get Castor oil from? Ideally a shop but a website would do I guess. I've looked in asda and tescos, am I looking in the wrong place?

pixiestar
May 19th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I don't suppose any of you know where I can get Castor oil from? Ideally a shop but a website would do I guess. I've looked in asda and tescos, am I looking in the wrong place?

I got mine on ebay in the end, could not get in chemists, apparantly there is a problem getting supplies.:D

pepperminttea
May 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I got my castor oil from Lloyds Pharmacy. :) It was a while ago though (maybe last autumn?).

kyandii
May 19th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Ooo! thanks, there's two I pass on my way to college, I'll check it out on monday. thanks!

pixiestar
May 20th, 2011, 12:27 PM
So I'm going to try the naked shampoo, and wondered if anyone has used the styling products. They are silicone free:) Boots are doing 2 naked hair care products for £6 wohoo

NotInPortland
May 20th, 2011, 06:12 PM
So I'm going to try the naked shampoo, and wondered if anyone has used the styling products. They are silicone free:) Boots are doing 2 naked hair care products for £6 wohoo

I actually just picked up the naked shampoo and conditioner for wavy/curly hair today in that offer in boots, I hope they work for my hair! :)
I also got goody spin pins and some metal free elastics in claires accesories in their 3 for 2 offer, it's been a good day for my hair :p

pixiestar
May 22nd, 2011, 02:12 AM
http://www.ofasimplenature.webeden.co.uk/#/supplies/4523523031

This site looks good for supples:D

annieangel149
May 22nd, 2011, 04:40 PM
I like the Naked range in Boots, but I haven't found their shampoos to be strong enough to remove coney conditioners. It works well with Naked's own conditioners though.

Also, I noticed Boots stock Goody's spin pins now, it's £4.99 for two. I got a pack of them and to my astonishment...they work :D have you tried Naked Detox ! it gets my hair squeeky clean :eyebrows:

theodora
May 23rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Boots has goody spin pins????? you just made my day! I got mine when I went to the US last January and love them so much I was desperate I'd have to wait for ages to go back and get more!

Now I am convinced the boots at my s***hole of a town doesn't have them, but perhaps a bigger one in Leicester/Birmingham/Nottingham might have some. It's such a shame they don't sell them online. Boo Boots.com, lousy enablers!

kyandii
May 23rd, 2011, 03:12 PM
Boots has goody spin pins????? you just made my day! I got mine when I went to the US last January and love them so much I was desperate I'd have to wait for ages to go back and get more!

Now I am convinced the boots at my s***hole of a town doesn't have them, but perhaps a bigger one in Leicester/Birmingham/Nottingham might have some. It's such a shame they don't sell them online. Boo Boots.com, lousy enablers!

The one in Loughborough does. Not sure if that's any use for you but it's in between Leics and Notts

Aredhel77
May 24th, 2011, 03:29 AM

I'm quite fond of Naked as a brand. I have only tried their heat protect styling spray. Although it did the job (I used it when blowdrying) I don't really like the scent and am in the process of mixing it into other hair concoctions to use it up! I'd quite like to give their new curl cream a try in the future.

From their range I am currently using the Starflower body wash (nice lavender/geranium scent), Naked Detox shampoo and the Naked Shine Shea glossing treatment conditioner (the intensive one in the big tub). I love Naked deep conditioners!

kyandii
May 24th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Holland and Barret have reduced their coconut oil price to £6.29 for people who receive the catalog.

It's not online though and I'm not sure about in store.

theodora
May 24th, 2011, 04:22 PM
The one in Loughborough does. Not sure if that's any use for you but it's in between Leics and Notts
Awesome, Loughborough's pretty near too, now gotta find an excuse to have my fiance drive me there!

theodora
May 24th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Holland and Barret have reduced their coconut oil price to £6.29 for people who receive the catalog.

It's not online though and I'm not sure about in store.
Interesting! I got mine from them in store last year for a tenner, but since I've never seen it online or in store. I had no idea they did a catalog, good to know!

pixiestar
May 25th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I'm quite fond of Naked as a brand. I have only tried their heat protect styling spray. Although it did the job (I used it when blowdrying) I don't really like the scent and am in the process of mixing it into other hair concoctions to use it up! I'd quite like to give their new curl cream a try in the future.

From their range I am currently using the Starflower body wash (nice lavender/geranium scent), Naked Detox shampoo and the Naked Shine Shea glossing treatment conditioner (the intensive one in the big tub). I love Naked deep conditioners!

I bought the curl tamer, the shampoo and conditioner for sensitive scalp and the hairspray. And I bought the coco le mer body wash mmmm. I've only tried the hairspray, and its not all that good for hold:( And the smell gives me a headache:(
I'm looking forward to trying the others though:D

Sundial
May 25th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Has anyone seen mini spin pins around yet?

Guenhwyvar
May 25th, 2011, 02:44 AM
My hair did not get on with naked shampoo at all, I am going to try HERBAL HAIR SHAMPOO WITH ALOE VERA (Oily-Normal hair) from handmade naturals and see if my hair prefers that. Currently I get on best with pantene nature fusion (full of bad stuff I know, but it makes my hair all soft and shiny).

mneh
May 25th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Has anyone seen mini spin pins around yet?

I haven't seen mini spin pins in the shops but I bought some nice, silver mini hair screws from StoliGal, a Canadian seller on Etsy. The exchange rate with Sterling was very good and the postage time was quick. I love my hair screws - they're just the right size for half-ups.

Here's an example: Silver Hair Screws (http://www.etsy.com/listing/39853167/hair-screws-no6-size-screw-it-into-your)

Cupofmilk
May 25th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I have found full size spin pins in Claires and Morrisons!

jhator
May 26th, 2011, 05:19 PM
have you tried Naked Detox ! it gets my hair squeeky clean :eyebrows:

No I haven't, I'll try that one next time I stock up! I'm slowly working my way through the range, I've tried the Blonde one...and I'm not even blonde lol.

I'm in an experimental mood again so I bought Garnier Fructis Repair and Shine (it's the UK equivalent of Triple Nutrition that gets a lot of raves here). I have to say, I'm loving it so far, it's doing wonders for my tangles because it gives me so much slip :D

pixiestar
May 27th, 2011, 12:03 AM
I've now tried the Naked mild shampoo and conditioner. It tangle my hair up really bad:( and it made may hair feel horrible. I don't think I will be using it again:(

lorelai2012
May 29th, 2011, 10:48 AM
this is probably absurdly late but ASDA sells Goody products

annieangel149
May 30th, 2011, 03:41 AM
this is probably absurdly late but ASDA sells Goody products

what are goody products??? :o

kyandii
May 30th, 2011, 03:47 AM
what are goody products??? :o

http://www.goody.com/

Becky9679
May 30th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I have found full size spin pins in Claires and Morrisons!

Spin pins have started popping up everywhere recently, Boots and Superdrug also have them. Bought some myself today.

Also I love Superdrug Raspberry and Macadamia Nut Conditioner! I have to try all the other flavours now :D

brunette
May 31st, 2011, 05:37 AM
My regular Mineral Makeup supplier went from eBay to her own shop and I love her stuff, but she didn't make liquid eyeliners or mascara. I found this (http://t.co/PwhL5Sl) on Groupon UK and it ends tonight at midnight. Basically it's a £60 voucher which costs £24, they give the code after the deal ends and you buy your stuff at www.bellapierre.co.uk (http://www.bellapierre.co.uk) and use the code at checkout. The stuff is very expensive to start with but I found the trio of eyeliners and some other stuff which isn't too bad. I'll report back when my makeup arrives but I thought I shouldn't pass up the opportunity to share the group deal with other UKers who prefer to use mineral makeup!
*edit I should admit my first link to the groupon would earn me groupon credit for each person who buys the deal through my link so if you want to buy it please use my link!

RebeccaG
May 31st, 2011, 09:23 AM
I got an email from Melissa at Stonebridge today to say that the Ficcares (any size) are £30. I've been thinking about trying one for ages so I shall have to spend the rest of the afternoon trying to decide which colour!

Aredhel77
June 1st, 2011, 03:11 AM
I've now tried the Naked mild shampoo and conditioner. It tangle my hair up really bad:( and it made may hair feel horrible. I don't think I will be using it again:(

What a shame! can you use your products for something else, e.g the shampoo as a bodywash, conditioner as a shaving cream....or try putting a bit of the conditioner as a leave-in on your ends and see if it works that way...?

pixiestar
June 4th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Does the boots coconut and almond leave in conditioner spray have any cones? http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Ingredients-Coconut-Almond-Leave-In-Conditioner-150ml_863451/
Heres the link, I can't see the ingredients, unless I'm just missing them;)

pixiestar
June 4th, 2011, 04:52 AM
What a shame! can you use your products for something else, e.g the shampoo as a bodywash, conditioner as a shaving cream....or try putting a bit of the conditioner as a leave-in on your ends and see if it works that way...?

Good idea Aredhel77, shall have to do that:D

pixiestar
June 9th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Tresemme naturals in savers is £1.99:D

kyandii
June 9th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I bought a tangle teezer today.
I love it! Can't believe it took me so long to buy it, it's actually amazing.

pepperminttea
June 9th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I bought a tangle teezer today.
I love it! Can't believe it took me so long to buy it, it's actually amazing.

I thought the same thing when I got silk pillowcases. :D So nice to find things that work!

clairenewcastle
June 14th, 2011, 03:35 PM
We can buy Ketylos in the UK now!

I can't believe it for I've always wanted a Ketylo but was reluctant to pay the charges from the US.....

I bought a turquoise Ketylo from http://longhairedjewels.com/ who are now the official distributors of Ketylos in the UK!

Becky9679
June 15th, 2011, 01:31 AM

I can't believe it for I've always wanted a Ketylo but was reluctant to pay the charges from the US.....

I bought a turquoise Ketylo from http://longhairedjewels.com/ who are now the official distributors of Ketylos in the UK!

I am so buying some stuff off that site when I can afford it! :D

IanB
June 16th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Tried a new shampoo today - Livin' The Dream Sulphate-Free + Energy from TIGI with the somewhat (in my case) dubious name of Rockaholic" I'm really please with the results. My hair feels really clean, soft. Availablke on line in the UK on www.stores.ebay.co.uk/absolute-hair-care

Alaia
June 16th, 2011, 07:14 AM

Oh God how dangerous is that? :run:

pixiestar
June 24th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Has anyone tried the bodyshop rainforest range:confused:
I was thinking of trying it:D
Oh yes and there wooden comb, any good:D

bunzfan
June 24th, 2011, 01:27 AM

The shampoo and conditioner is lovely and their quill hair brush is meant to be great!

bunzfan
June 24th, 2011, 01:29 AM

You damn enabler you i love those sticks but the price increase on shipping means i've stopped getting any.

pixiestar
June 24th, 2011, 06:25 AM
The shampoo and conditioner is lovely and their quill hair brush is meant to be great!

Thanks bunzfan, I might give the range ago:)

Sweet_Decadence
June 24th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Heads up! Asda are selling the Garnier Fructis shampoos and conditioners for £1 each at the moment.

BelleBot
June 24th, 2011, 10:15 AM

THANK YOU!! :flower:

I'm so glad there's a way of buying ketylos again without the high shipping rates. I'm a happy bunny! :D

Atraxi
June 24th, 2011, 02:41 PM

I've bought my first ever ketylo from there this week too - a dymondwood one in Tortoise. I love it! :D

Locksmith
June 25th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Oh dear. I should have known this thread would ring the death knell of my self-control! Finally cracked and ordered a black quartz Lotus Jewel Maximas from Stonebridge. I've wanted to try a Ficcare for ages, but the murderous shipping costs put me off. And I need a job interview-appropriate hairtoy that I can rely on. And if it's the wrong size I can sell it on on the Swap Board. That justifies it... right? *guilt*

(Oh God I just spent nearly as much on a single hairtoy as I did on a suit jacket. What is wrong with me. Curse you LHC!! :p )

sharicat
June 25th, 2011, 05:08 AM

I've got the wooden comb and I love it. It's seamless :)

I've tried the rainforest range and I like it, although I can't stretch washes when I use it as it doesn't get my hair clean enough and I end up super oily and clogged if I try. I found the conditioner too light and my hair loves cones so not good for me!

pixiestar
June 25th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I've got the wooden comb and I love it. It's seamless :)

I've tried the rainforest range and I like it, although I can't stretch washes when I use it as it doesn't get my hair clean enough and I end up super oily and clogged if I try. I found the conditioner too light and my hair loves cones so not good for me!

Hi sharicat:) I'm definitely getting a comb next time I'm in town. I will get the conditioner when I need some ( have quite alot at the moment, LHC enablers :D) and maybe the detangle spray and the moisture hair butter too:D

Aredhel77
June 25th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Hi Pixiestar.

I can't remember but do the Body Shop do trial/travel sizes of their set? Some LHC-ers (myself included) didn't really get on with this range, i.e. buildup issues & the afore-mentioned not getting hair clean enough. It might be worth you just trying a smaller size in case you don't like it.

I used the Rainforest Moisture range and found it very heavy - and the conditioner never felt like it had fully rinsed out even though I pre-diluted it as the instructions suggest. Usually my hair loves anything rich so I was disappointed. But anyway, of course, YMMV :blossom:

pixiestar
June 25th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Hi Pixiestar.

I can't remember but do the Body Shop do trial/travel sizes of their set? Some LHC-ers (myself included) didn't really get on with this range, i.e. buildup issues & the afore-mentioned not getting hair clean enough. It might be worth you just trying a smaller size in case you don't like it.

I used the Rainforest Moisture range and found it very heavy - and the conditioner never felt like it had fully rinsed out even though I pre-diluted it as the instructions suggest. Usually my hair loves anything rich so I was disappointed. But anyway, of course, YMMV :blossom:

Hi Aredhel77 :D
If I try it I'll get the travel size's, hope they have them:)
I seem to be accumulating new products, and then my hair doesn't like them:(

Aredhel77
June 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM
That's a shame. Have you had products in the past that have worked for you though? Maybe you need to go back to them...? (Very annoying though if you're a compulsive buyer and stash creator like me!)

pixiestar
June 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM
That's a shame. Have you had products in the past that have worked for you though? Maybe you need to go back to them...? (Very annoying though if you're a compulsive buyer and stash creator like me!)

Definitely a compulsive buyer:D
I'm still using tresemme naturals which I love:D But you read so much here:D I'm very easily enabled,lol:D

I live in a hard water area. I've been looking into getting a shower filter. But can't make my mind up which one. The vitamin c filters seem to have good reviews:D I don't want to jump into it and get the wrong one:)

Aredhel77
June 25th, 2011, 01:41 PM
[quote=pixiestar;1661933]Definitely a compulsive buyer:D
I'm still using tresemme naturals which I love:D But you read so much here:D I'm very easily enabled,lol:D

This too. I really liked the Tresemme Naturals range. I've got 3 bottles of one of their conditioners! (it was 2 for 3 in Boots a while back LOL) I'm hoping to go CO/CurlyGirl soon and will use that as my 'botanical' conditioner after shampooing.

I'm also subscribed to the 'Use Up Your Stash Challenge' thread :o hehe

pixiestar
June 25th, 2011, 03:08 PM
[quote=pixiestar;1661933]Definitely a compulsive buyer:D

This too. I really liked the Tresemme Naturals range. I've got 3 bottles of one of their conditioners! (it was 2 for 3 in Boots a while back LOL) I'm hoping to go CO/CurlyGirl soon and will use that as my 'botanical' conditioner after shampooing.

I'm also subscribed to the 'Use Up Your Stash Challenge' thread :o hehe

Ohh, I haven't seen that thread. I will try and find it:D

Becky9679
June 27th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Are there any high street shops where you can buy decent hairtoys? I've never seen proper hair sticks, forks or ficarres anywhere except online

Aredhel77
June 28th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Are there any high street shops where you can buy decent hairtoys? I've never seen proper hair sticks, forks or ficarres anywhere except online

I personally think that for those sort of things, online probably is best, although hopefully others will pipe up if they know otherwise! Ebay, I've found, is quite a good online outlet for those less common sorts of hair toys, and you're likely to be able to get a good deal.

Claire's Accessories and Boots and Accessorize are quite good high street shops for more standard hair accessories like slides, claw clips, beak clips and hair bands etc. I've actually used nice beak clips to poke through a bun, "hairstick-style", before lol

pepperminttea
June 28th, 2011, 04:52 AM

Sorry, online is probably your best bet. That said, we have a local craft fair here once a month, and a guy there does woodturning. He's currently messing around with hairstick designs for me. :D It might be worth looking to see if there's any craft fairs near you?

salls
June 28th, 2011, 05:00 AM
There is a shop in camden, london called tribu that sells them also there is a jewellery chain called bijou brigitte who ocasionally have pretty wooden sticks.

brunette
June 28th, 2011, 05:03 AM
If you are in London theres a Cherry Chau stand in Selfridges and apparently another in Harvey Nichols, you can get a feel for Ficcares there and even try them on. Other than that you can try them out at forum meets when some people bring stuff along to show and tell and then order what you like online - stone-bridge.co.uk have their £30 all sizes on their site still. I have no idea when this ends!

Alaia
June 28th, 2011, 06:42 AM
If you are in London theres a Cherry Chau stand in Selfridges and apparently another in Harvey Nichols, you can get a feel for Ficcares there and even try them on. Other than that you can try them out at forum meets when some people bring stuff along to show and tell and then order what you like online - stone-bridge.co.uk have their £30 all sizes on their site still. I have no idea when this ends!

Yep there is definitely a Cherry Chau in Harvey Nichols. They tend to have a limited range of ficcares though so be warned.

pixiestar
June 28th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Original source shampoo and conditioner £1 in boots:D

Locksmith
June 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I love Original Source shower gel and bubble bath, but I never have got on well with the hair stuff I've tried. The peppermint shampoo especially stripped my hair dry and turned it to straw! :eek:

theodora
June 28th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Oh why did you give this address! Now I feel even more tempted. My evil twin who likes to spend all my money on hair toys is thanking you.

brunette
June 28th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I finally succumbed at stonebridge myself, today! Ordered a 'special order' of a Honey Marble in Large :D Melissa emailed after with expected shipping date, and suggested I might like to add another to my order which would take me over qualifying spend for free shipping! I will not though, I already paid the £4 shipping and cannot afford another Ficcare :o I've never bought a new one before!
I shall be listing a couple of mediums on the swap board at some point soon, both Lotuses. Possibly some other items, too.

Locksmith
June 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I can't wait to try my Ficcare from Stonebridge! *bounce* Sadly it's being delivered to my parents' address so I have to wait a few days still. Boo. I have a horrible feeling I may be about to acquire yet another expensive addiction...

Curly Gurly
July 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM
Does anyone know of any clarifying and chelating shampoos that are available in the UK? :confused: also a SLS/cone/paraben free shampoo? If there is such thing lol

pepperminttea
July 1st, 2011, 03:30 PM
Does anyone know of any clarifying and chelating shampoos that are available in the UK? :confused: also a SLS/cone/paraben free shampoo? If there is such thing lol

You can find Joico Chelating shampoo through Amazon from Bath & Unwind (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joico-Chelating-Shampoo-Swimmers-bottle/dp/B000QTD3J0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309555249&sr=8-1). The price is rather eye-watering, even with free postage, though it is for a litre-sized bottle which for a chelating shampoo will last you quite a while.

As for SLS/'cone/paraben-free shampoos - have you tried the Dr Organic range at Holland and Barrett (http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/Dr-Organic.asp)? Other than that, your best bet's probably going to be online, but beware the prices aren't cheap. Aubrey Organics has a UK site (http://www.aubreyorganicsuk.co.uk/), but for actually UK-produced things, there's Green People (http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/), Pure Nuff Stuff (http://purenuffstuff.co.uk/), and There Must Be A Better Way (http://theremustbeabetterway.co.uk/) (they have a variety of brands). If you're open to the idea of shampoo bars, there's also Oakwood Aromatics (http://www.oakwood-aromatics.com/shampoo.html). :)

BohoClassic
July 1st, 2011, 04:52 PM
You can find Joico Chelating shampoo through Amazon from Bath & Unwind (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joico-Chelating-Shampoo-Swimmers-bottle/dp/B000QTD3J0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309555249&sr=8-1). The price is rather eye-watering, even with free postage, though it is for a litre-sized bottle which for a chelating shampoo will last you quite a while.

As for SLS/'cone/paraben-free shampoos - have you tried the Dr Organic range at Holland and Barrett (http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/Dr-Organic.asp)? Other than that, your best bet's probably going to be online, but beware the prices aren't cheap. Aubrey Organics has a UK site (http://www.aubreyorganicsuk.co.uk/), but for actually UK-produced things, there's Green People (http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/), Pure Nuff Stuff (http://purenuffstuff.co.uk/), and There Must Be A Better Way (http://theremustbeabetterway.co.uk/) (they have a variety of brands). If you're open to the idea of shampoo bars, there's also Oakwood Aromatics (http://www.oakwood-aromatics.com/shampoo.html). :)
Have you tried the shampoo bars from oakwood aromatics? They sound really nice, and are there any downsides to using shampoo bars compared to bottled shampoo?

pelicano
July 1st, 2011, 05:03 PM

I buy Ultra Swim from Amazon, which is a chelating one. :) It's full of sulfates, parabens etc though.

pepperminttea
July 2nd, 2011, 09:24 AM
Have you tried the shampoo bars from oakwood aromatics? They sound really nice, and are there any downsides to using shampoo bars compared to bottled shampoo?

I haven't tried them yet; I have some on order, so watch this space. :D They should be here next week. They're mostly for my mother, who's almost out of Chagrin Valley (CV) samples and wanted something from the UK, but I'm going to try them too and see what they're like.

It's certainly... different using shampoo bars compared to liquid shampoo. You need to follow them with an acid rinse (either diluted lemon juice or diluted apple cider vinegar), and this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=4) is well worth a read before you try them. Trying out the CV bars, it took me a couple of washes to get the technique down, and get used to how to lather them, etc., especially with the hard water here which makes lathering anything a challenge. The CV ones sadly didn't work for my hair, but I like how long they last, the smells were wonderful, and I'm all for natural products when I can afford them. :)

Locksmith
July 2nd, 2011, 01:39 PM

I've tried them, and I liked them very much, especially the beer one. Great customer service too. :) It's a bit more faff than bottled shampoo as you have to follow with an acid rinse, and you have to do more mechanical "scrubbing" with fingertips because it's not as harsh a cleanser. I started out using ACV for the rinse but swapped to citric acid, as it's cheaper, worked just as well and doesn't have the smell of ACV. My hair and scalp got on much better with it than with SLS. :)

brunette
July 2nd, 2011, 01:42 PM
Just a quick headsup for the UKers, I put some pretties on the swap board!

I seem to remember Avalon Organics shampoos were SLS free. Or at least the Lavender one was!

BohoClassic
July 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
I haven't tried them yet; I have some on order, so watch this space. :D They should be here next week. They're mostly for my mother, who's almost out of Chagrin Valley (CV) samples and wanted something from the UK, but I'm going to try them too and see what they're like.

It's certainly... different using shampoo bars compared to liquid shampoo. You need to follow them with an acid rinse (either diluted lemon juice or diluted apple cider vinegar), and this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=4) is well worth a read before you try them. Trying out the CV bars, it took me a couple of washes to get the technique down, and get used to how to lather them, etc., especially with the hard water here which makes lathering anything a challenge. The CV ones sadly didn't work for my hair, but I like how long they last, the smells were wonderful, and I'm all for natural products when I can afford them. :)
I will see how you get on with them before i order some. They sound so nice :)

BohoClassic
July 3rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
I've tried them, and I liked them very much, especially the beer one. Great customer service too. :) It's a bit more faff than bottled shampoo as you have to follow with an acid rinse, and you have to do more mechanical "scrubbing" with fingertips because it's not as harsh a cleanser. I started out using ACV for the rinse but swapped to citric acid, as it's cheaper, worked just as well and doesn't have the smell of ACV. My hair and scalp got on much better with it than with SLS. :)
Im really going to have to try some :) The citric acid idea is so good. I would much prefer that to the smell of vinegar! How much citric acid do you use?

Locksmith
July 3rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Im really going to have to try some :) The citric acid idea is so good. I would much prefer that to the smell of vinegar! How much citric acid do you use?

Depends how much water I'm using, but as a very rough guide I think about half a teaspoon of citric acid to several pints of water. In practice what I do is tip what looks like about half a teaspoon or a little more into the jug, then dilute it in the shower until it tastes slightly sour rather than overpoweringly so. If it's making me screw up my face it's too strong! :p How much you need will vary depending on your water hardness and your own hair - it's something you'll work out as you go. :)

theodora
July 4th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Just looked at the oakwood aromatics page, it all looks really good! However, it doesn't say anywhere whether they use sulphates, parabens and other chemicals. Does anyone here know?

BohoClassic
July 4th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Depends how much water I'm using, but as a very rough guide I think about half a teaspoon of citric acid to several pints of water. In practice what I do is tip what looks like about half a teaspoon or a little more into the jug, then dilute it in the shower until it tastes slightly sour rather than overpoweringly so. If it's making me screw up my face it's too strong! :p How much you need will vary depending on your water hardness and your own hair - it's something you'll work out as you go. :)
I will definately give it a try :)

BohoClassic
July 4th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Just looked at the oakwood aromatics page, it all looks really good! However, it doesn't say anywhere whether they use sulphates, parabens and other chemicals. Does anyone here know?
Good question! As a newbie I had just assumed they where all natural ingredients:eek:

Locksmith
July 4th, 2011, 05:01 PM

I've got the label here from the Beer and Geranium one, and there doesn't seem to be anything in it besides a number of different oils, beer, essential oils, shea butter, citrus grandis seed extract, and cocoa powder. No sulphates, parabens or other synthetic things :)

theodora
July 5th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Woop woop excellent news! :cheese::cheese:
Oakwood organics, here I come!
I've been missing using shampoo bars, as I was using Lush ones for a while (a very stupid idea) as I was under the false impression they were supposed to be gentler. Imagine my surprised when I realized my hair was constantly like straw, and I had to use super thick masks and oils all the time. Not to mention my scalp issues as a person prone to skin allergies...
DF is now trying to finish all these shampoo bars (and yes his hair has been looking like straw, even though he's been using condish). I told him we're probably better off using them as hand soaps but he apparently cares more about damaging his hands than his hair :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

brunette
July 5th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I've got the label here from the Beer and Geranium one, and there doesn't seem to be anything in it besides a number of different oils, beer, essential oils, shea butter, citrus grandis seed extract, and cocoa powder. No sulphates, parabens or other synthetic things :)
I thought saponified oils were supposed to be listed in products for sale under their altered state eg coconut oil becomes sodium cocoate, olive oil becomes sodium olivate etc. Still safe though, just not the same as oil in it's natural state, but altered by means of a 'natural' chemical reaction with sodium hydroxide (lye). A bit naughty of the company for not listing them in their actual state at point of sale, and for omitting to mention the sodium hydroxide that was used, but at least you can be pretty sure it doesn't contain sulphates. You just don't know how much 'free' (unsaponified) oil remains in the product to know as to whether it will be drying or not. You can only test it personally to see if it works for you (and I'm sure we all love trying new products :p). The ingredients sound nommy!

Locksmith
July 5th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I thought saponified oils were supposed to be listed in products for sale under their altered state eg coconut oil becomes sodium cocoate, olive oil becomes sodium olivate etc. Still safe though, just not the same as oil in it's natural state, but altered by means of a 'natural' chemical reaction with sodium hydroxide (lye). A bit naughty of the company for not listing them in their actual state at point of sale, and for omitting to mention the sodium hydroxide that was used, but at least you can be pretty sure it doesn't contain sulphates. You just don't know how much 'free' (unsaponified) oil remains in the product to know as to whether it will be drying or not. You can only test it personally to see if it works for you (and I'm sure we all love trying new products :p). The ingredients sound nommy!

Actually, the oils are listed in their actual state - eg olive oil is listed both as "Sodium Olivate" and then as (Olive oil). I just couldn't be bothered to actually write out the entire list given the question was about sulphates and parabens. :)

Alaia
July 5th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Anyone know if it's possible to find water softeners any more? I don't think my skin/scalp can deal with the uber-hard London water any more...

Or any products that help with that?

Also, FWIW my hair loved Lush's Godiva Shampoo Bar.

brunette
July 5th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Hmm a quick google brings up this: http://www.fountainsofteners.co.uk/water-softeners-from-340/ otherwise my first thought was a teensy bit of citric acid if you didn't mind the hassle of pouring from a jug, alternatively come live in Devon :p

brunette
July 5th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Actually, the oils are listed in their actual state - eg olive oil is listed both as "Sodium Olivate" and then as (Olive oil). I just couldn't be bothered to actually write out the entire list given the question was about sulphates and parabens. :)
LOL :D I getcha! I would find that a bit longwinded too :p good to know the seller is playing by the rules! :thumbsup:

Alaia
July 5th, 2011, 06:33 AM
LOL the main problem with that link is that it says "Water softeners from £340" :p

Tried white vinegar last shower and it didn't really work, should that have the same effect as citric? Used a mix of both to clean off the limescale deposits on the shower. And Viakal. But I can't use Viakal on my hair :p

I might actually come live in Devon. But not yet. ;)

theodora
July 5th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Anyone know if it's possible to find water softeners any more? I don't think my skin/scalp can deal with the uber-hard London water any more...

Or any products that help with that?

Also, FWIW my hair loved Lush's Godiva Shampoo Bar.

Godiva I found to be the least drying (trichomania was also a bit better), whereas New and the Blonde were super duper drying (although prolonged use of the Blonde made my natural ash blond roots get much lighter and lovelier last summer, it's now discontinued but I still have some which could be used if I were to be super careful with it)

The problem really is the sulphates with my dermatitis. I wish Lush would do just one sulphate-free shampoo! I love their bath products, it's a shame not to be able to use their hair products for one ingredient...

LOL the main problem with that link is that it says "Water softeners from £340" :p

Tried white vinegar last shower and it didn't really work, should that have the same effect as citric? Used a mix of both to clean off the limescale deposits on the shower. And Viakal. But I can't use Viakal on my hair :p

I might actually come live in Devon. But not yet. ;)

I suffer from hard/chlorinated/all around awful water as well in Leicestershire, and I'm currently eyeing a shower head filter on amazon:

http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_in_-2_p_4_8?rh=k%3Ashower+head+filter%2Cn%3A11052681%2 Cp_4%3ASensitive+Skincare+Co&bbn=11052681&keywords=shower+head+filter&ie=UTF8&qid=1309873782&rnid=365498011 (http://http//www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_in_-2_p_4_8?rh=k%3Ashower+head+filter%2Cn%3A11052681%2 Cp_4%3ASensitive+Skincare+Co&bbn=11052681&keywords=shower+head+filter&ie=UTF8&qid=1309873782&rnid=365498011)

There's a bunch of other ones on amazon, so do have a look. It is cheaper than a water filter.

shrimp
July 5th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I did so well in staying away from this thread...

Oakwood aromatics now own a significant portion of my income even though I've never tried shampoo bars before :oops:

I ordered the beer and geranium and the dry hair shampoo bar (and some Rose moisture melts mmmmmm rose. I figured that keeping a solid moisturiser in a tin in my bag is a good idea in summer and for overnights at the o/h's)

I use Lush's Cynthia Sylvia Stout right now on non-CO days but it is so expensive I'm not sure I can keep buying it, so I need to shop around a bit. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

pixiestar
July 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I suffer from hard/chlorinated/all around awful water as well in Leicestershire, and I'm currently eyeing a shower head filter on amazon:

http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_in_-2_p_4_8?rh=k%3Ashower+head+filter%2Cn%3A11052681%2 Cp_4%3ASensitive+Skincare+Co&bbn=11052681&keywords=shower+head+filter&ie=UTF8&qid=1309873782&rnid=365498011 (http://http//www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_in_-2_p_4_8?rh=k%3Ashower+head+filter%2Cn%3A11052681%2 Cp_4%3ASensitive+Skincare+Co&bbn=11052681&keywords=shower+head+filter&ie=UTF8&qid=1309873782&rnid=365498011)

There's a bunch of other ones on amazon, so do have a look. It is cheaper than a water filter.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to get this shower filter
http://www.showerfiltersuk.co.uk/11/Shop.html
Its a vitamin c shower filter which is supposed to be the best for filtering chorine and choramines.
Not ordered yet:( waiting for payday. Then I want to get some shampoo bars:D

theodora
July 5th, 2011, 03:12 PM

There's a bunch of other ones on amazon, so do have a look. It is cheaper than a water filter.

Oh you're cheating on your CO routine! I'm giving mine a last try with the Tesco coconut, after that I shall try these oakwood shampoo bars and maybe dr bronner soap or rhassoul. Or maybe all of them at once! :eek:

Its a vitamin c shower filter which is supposed to be the best for filtering chorine and choramines.
Not ordered yet:( waiting for payday. Then I want to get some shampoo bars:D[/quote]

pixiestar
July 5th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Oh you're cheating on your CO routine! I'm giving mine a last try with the Tesco coconut, after that I shall try these oakwood shampoo bars and maybe dr bronner soap or rhassoul. Or maybe all of them at once! :eek:

Not ordered yet:( waiting for payday. Then I want to get some shampoo bars:D[/QUOTE]

I think I'm better with cwc:) co's ok but it makes my hair to soft and fluffy:(
I've been doing both at the moment:D

pelicano
July 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I've had one of those vit C filters, but I went back to regular one.

pixiestar
July 6th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I've had one of those vit C filters, but I went back to regular one.

did you not like it? why did you go back to a regular one?

pelicano
July 6th, 2011, 07:58 AM
did you not like it? why did you go back to a regular one?

I found the vitamin C filters didn't last particularly long, and I didn't notice any improvements from a regular shower filter.

pixiestar
July 6th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I found the vitamin C filters didn't last particularly long, and I didn't notice any improvements from a regular shower filter.

Thanks pelicano, I will keep it in mind:D

pelicano
July 6th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I'll be interested to hear what you think of it if you get one. :)

celebriangel
July 6th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Excuse me while I sing the praises of 1) my new CO routine, and 2) Tesco's own brand coconut conditioner which has made my CO washes wonderful, slippery, very cleansing and smelling not-too-strongly of coconut!

I don't live near a tesco anymore, but fortunately I stocked up before I moved :)

Locksmith
July 6th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Excuse me while I sing the praises of 1) my new CO routine, and 2) Tesco's own brand coconut conditioner which has made my CO washes wonderful, slippery, very cleansing and smelling not-too-strongly of coconut!

I don't live near a tesco anymore, but fortunately I stocked up before I moved :)

There are places in the UK that aren't near a Tesco? *boggle* :p

More seriously, noted for future reference! :D

theodora
July 6th, 2011, 10:28 AM
celebriangel thanks for your comments on the CO thread about that Tesco condish. I was depressed about the grease pit that was my hair after a month of CO washing when I perused the thread and saw your comment about it.
Went straight to Tesco's as I needed to top up on ACV and honey (for cooking of course ahem) and got a bottle of it. 71p for a huge bottle!
This goes against everything that I stand for (generally spending way too much money on beauty products). I would never buy food from a supermarket brand to begin with, let alone cosmetics! (I know I sound like a horribly posh person here, but I grew up in Paris forgive me if I were encouraged to be picky all my life!)

Well my hair is definitely cleaner than it has been for a while. My scalp feels a little bit sensitive, but it might mean I have to be careful to rinse it out better (it contains Methylchloroisothiazolinone, which is a mild irritant for skin). This could be a keeper, I'll have to give it another couple weeks and we'll see!

RebeccaG
July 6th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Has anyone tried the Liz Earle shampoo and conditioner? Relatively inexpensive for posh stuff so would love to know what you all think :cool:

pepperminttea
July 6th, 2011, 07:07 PM

Ooh, 71p for 750ml, I may have to try that! Just to check, it's the coconut 'Tesco Smooth Conditioner' (http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266791507)? :) (Rather than their 'Extracts' one (http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265068208)?)

I've been messing about with CO for the past couple of washes, using Boots Essentials pink conditioner (60p for 500ml) as the lighter condish, I've had good results so far, especially once I worked out that I didn't need more time, just more scalp massaging! Less frizz than usual, and lots of softness. I could get used to this. :D

ps. I don't live all that near a Tesco's either; my nearest is half an hour away. I normally go once every few months to stock up on blackcurrant squash though - for some reason their 'high juice' is better than Sainsbury's. Don't ask me why, it's probably exactly the same. :p

pelicano
July 7th, 2011, 06:27 AM
There are places in the UK that aren't near a Tesco? *boggle* :p

Had to laugh at that comment! :D

Paranda Belle
July 7th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Asda have changed their own brand range of shampoo and conditioner and stopped doing the one I like. I had fallen in love with the cherry blossom and orchid contitioner. It smelt so nice. The new range doesnt seem to have cherry and or orchid in it.:wail:

Can anyone recommend a nice smelling cheap cherry and orchid cone free conditioner?

theodora
July 7th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Ooh, 71p for 750ml, I may have to try that! Just to check, it's the coconut 'Tesco Smooth Conditioner' (http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266791507)? :) (Rather than their 'Extracts' one (http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265068208)?)

I've been messing about with CO for the past couple of washes, using Boots Essentials pink conditioner (60p for 500ml) as the lighter condish, I've had good results so far, especially once I worked out that I didn't need more time, just more scalp massaging! Less frizz than usual, and lots of softness. I could get used to this. :D

ps. I don't live all that near a Tesco's either; my nearest is half an hour away. I normally go once every few months to stock up on blackcurrant squash though - for some reason their 'high juice' is better than Sainsbury's. Don't ask me why, it's probably exactly the same. :p

Oops didn't realise there were 2 coconut conditioners! I got the 'smooth' one, but no idea if the one people mentioned was actually the other one!

Alaia
July 7th, 2011, 07:52 AM
My flat is not near a Tesco either! And I live in London, which has possibly a Tesco on every corner right next to the Starbucks :tongue:

celebriangel
July 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Hah, well I don't have a car, so the only supermarket I go to is sainsburys because it's a 10 min walk away.

Yes, it is the "smooth" one. I have noticed that it takes ages to rinse out, but once you do it's great! The essential step, for me was to add a bit of water after I've slathered my hair in conditioner and massage some more - I get a kind of creamy "lather" and the condish rinses out more easily. Using a power shower helps :D

I know what you mean about Tesco though. I don't like the food there - the "value" stuff is just awful! Whereas at sainsburys, even the "basics" range is - at least if you're buying unprocessed type ingredients such as tinned tomatoes, vegetables, bacon - the same quality food as everything else, just mismatched shapes and sizes. Fortunately www.abelandcole.co.uk ship to my area, so I purchase a medium fruit and veg box jointly with my housemate. It's all locally sourced, organic, and in season, the box lasts me all week with no extra vegetable purchases necessary, and it costs me £8 per week, which is about what I'd spend on veg anyway, most likely.

Anyway. For anyone looking for a clarifying shampoo, Tresemme does a "deep cleansing" shampoo, which on closer inspection tells me that it will remove "pollutants and styling product build-up". I assume this means clarifying. The Body shop also has sls/paraben/cone-free shampoos, which I liked, but I have since transferred to CO.

Lastly, does anyone have any ideas for a very rich, heavy, moisturising cone-free, protein-free and non-coconut flavoured conditioner? I've been using coconut products galore, and I think my hair is starting to get just a *little* unhappy, so I want to do a clarify + SMT without these for a sort of "soft reset". I think part of the problem is I wasn't rinsing well enough when I was still taking baths - my hair does not respond well at all when I don't rinse out my conditioner properly. I have to use a separate, oil-based leave-in or oil.

HTH with respect to the tesco condish. I really love it.

theodora
July 9th, 2011, 03:53 AM
celebriangel have you tried Garnier Triple nutrition? It's cone free and coconut free, uses olive oil/shea oil/avocado oil. I find it rich for a cone free and use it for my SMTs and henna glosses alternating with Tresemme naturals.
I found mine in Wilco for £1, but I'm sure it's available in other places.

Oh and I forgot, the actual name in the UK is Repair and Shine.

kyandii
July 9th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Wilkos stopped selling my favorite conditioner. Maybe the bigger ones in Leicester or Loughborough will sell it but the one just up the road from me doesn't any more :(
Going to go and have a look at the tescos one, I've spied that one before but didn't get it cause I had my wilkos one

pepperminttea
July 9th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the tip celebriangel; I need to do a Tesco run in the next week or so to use up an old voucher, so I'll grab a bottle or two of the 'Smooth'. :) Seconding the Garnier Repair & Shine recommendation, my hair really loves that stuff. I've been having trouble avoiding coconut oil overdose since trying oil shampoo back in January, so when my hair's giving me that 'I'm saturated, get that coconut away from me'-look I use the Repair & Shine instead. :D

Incidentally, where do people buy Garnier Repair & Shine/Triple Nutrition? I can't find a supermarket that stocks it locally (I'm in Norfolk), and I don't have a Wilcos nearby. :( I'd really like to find a regular local-ish supplier of it.

pixiestar
July 9th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the tip celebriangel; I need to do a Tesco run in the next week or so to use up an old voucher, so I'll grab a bottle or two of the 'Smooth'. :) Seconding the Garnier Repair & Shine recommendation, my hair really loves that stuff. I've been having trouble avoiding coconut oil overdose since trying oil shampoo back in January, so when my hair's giving me that 'I'm saturated, get that coconut away from me'-look I use the Repair & Shine instead. :D

Incidentally, where do people buy Garnier Repair & Shine/Triple Nutrition? I can't find a supermarket that stocks it locally (I'm in Norfolk), and I don't have a Wilcos nearby. :( I'd really like to find a regular local-ish supplier of it.

Boots usually have it:D

Locksmith
July 9th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Lastly, does anyone have any ideas for a very rich, heavy, moisturising cone-free, protein-free and non-coconut flavoured conditioner? I've been using coconut products galore, and I think my hair is starting to get just a *little* unhappy, so I want to do a clarify + SMT without these for a sort of "soft reset". I think part of the problem is I wasn't rinsing well enough when I was still taking baths - my hair does not respond well at all when I don't rinse out my conditioner properly. I have to use a separate, oil-based leave-in or oil.

HTH with respect to the tesco condish. I really love it.

I really like the Tresemme Naturals conditioners for rich, heavy cone-free conditioning. I'm not sure what their protein content is like though.

theodora
July 9th, 2011, 12:09 PM
One of the Tresemme naturals has coconut in it, but the other one doesn't (I think...). I bought both when I started going cone free and they're lovely, particularly for SMTs and in henna glosses.

I think with Triple nutritrion and Boots, it could be that only big Boots have it because my tiny one doesn't. I miss the huge Boots from when I used to live in Oxford, I used to literally spend 3 hours there at a time, between the hair products, the make-up, the supplements etc (I'm such a Boots addict!)

Aredhel77
July 9th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I'm very upset, I did an online shop with Asda last week and I've recently started to CO-wash. Their cheapie Apple family conditioner was working well for me, and I'd almost used up my first bottle and thought I'd found a keeper....BUT when I searched for it it had disappeared....? Either it was an online glitch or they're reformulating or something? No idea.

So that put paid to that. HOWEVER I was visiting family this week and they have a new 99p store in town that I'd never been in before - so I looked at their conditioners and found a budget brand called Carefree that was cone-free and came in an Apple and a Coconut variety and was about the same size as the Asda conditioner. So I bought on of each and am going to give them a try....fingers crossed (and yay for budget stores!!)

Becky9679
July 10th, 2011, 12:20 AM
A while ago this site was mentioned on this thread http://longhairedjewels.com/ as a good place in the UK for sticks and other goodies.
Well, I emailed the site owner to ask about prices of single sticks and she emailed back to say she also has some sticks for sale here http://www.folksy.com/shops/Luckypurple?shop_section=hair_sticks

They're all wonderful and I think I'm about to buy some!!!

pepperminttea
July 10th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Well, I emailed the site owner to ask about prices of single sticks and she emailed back to say she also has some sticks for sale here http://www.folksy.com/shops/Luckypurple?shop_section=hair_sticks

They're all wonderful and I think I'm about to buy some!!!

She's really brilliant to work with too, and her sticks are very reasonably priced. My hair ate the tip of the stick I bought from her, she replaced it free of charge with thicker one, and also changed the bead on it at the same time to one in my favourite colour at my request. I offered to pay but she said it wasn't necessary. Lovely buying experience all round. :)

tabby28
July 12th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I'm ahving trouble finding clarifying shampoo locally - the three I can find in my local Boots/Supermarkets are Herbal Essences Fresh Balance Shampoo, Pantene Pro-V Clarifying and Tresemme Vitamin C Deep Cleansing.

Has anyone used these? Are any of them good? I've never used a clarfifying shampoo before so I'm not sure :(

Locksmith
July 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM
A "clarifying" shampoo IME usually just means a sulphate shampoo without any cones in it. I just use the Superdrug own brand coconut shampoo for clarifying with as it isn't too harsh. Or Herbal Essences if I want something stronger. I don't think you need anything special to clarify with, just sulphates :)

partlycloudy
July 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Hello everyone!

Superdrug is currently having a sale on Tresemme items - many items are 2 for £5, including shampoos & conditioners in the 900ml size bottles!

There are sales on other hair care items as well - have a look! www.superdrug.com

I know some of the sale is online only, but I'm not sure about the Tresemme... I buy everything online, so I haven't seen it in any physical shops. (Although I *think* the Tresemme sale should probably be in shops as well?)

Shipping is free over £25 and £3.00 for orders under £25.

Hope this helps someone! I'm stocking up :)

Teufelchen
July 13th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Has anyone tried the Liz Earle shampoo and conditioner? Relatively inexpensive for posh stuff so would love to know what you all think :cool:
I tried the conditioner for oily hair and I am not a big fan of it. I will use it up, but I am not rebuying it.

The Tresemme deal is also in the shops ;) Just bought 4 bottles for a friend yesterday.

As for CO , the 5l Conditioners from Salon Services at Sallys are cone-free and working really well. My all-time favorite is still the Exracts Coconut one.
Carefree Coconut isn't working for my hair as a CO Conditioner, so I now use it to wash out oil treatments, but I need another Conditioner afterwards otherwise I get flyaways all over.

Alaia
July 13th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I love it when Superdrug have Tresemme deals...

I do need a clarifying shampoo as well so maybe I'll buy the Tresemme one.

Will have to buy more for the DH because I'll soon be switching to George Michael products (nabbed from the US at a £10 price difference :lol: ).

tabby28
July 13th, 2011, 04:46 AM
A "clarifying" shampoo IME usually just means a sulphate shampoo without any cones in it. I just use the Superdrug own brand coconut shampoo for clarifying with as it isn't too harsh. Or Herbal Essences if I want something stronger. I don't think you need anything special to clarify with, just sulphates :)

Ah okay, I was under the missaprehension that something aprticular in clarifying shampoos made them work (citric acid or something) but I've just done some more reading and I agree. Its just the sulphates :) Thank you!

RebeccaG
July 13th, 2011, 06:30 AM
I tried the conditioner for oily hair and I am not a big fan of it. I will use it up, but I am not rebuying it.

The Tresemme deal is also in the shops ;) Just bought 4 bottles for a friend yesterday.

As for CO , the 5l Conditioners from Salon Services at Sallys are cone-free and working really well. My all-time favorite is still the Exracts Coconut one.
Carefree Coconut isn't working for my hair as a CO Conditioner, so I now use it to wash out oil treatments, but I need another Conditioner afterwards otherwise I get flyaways all over.

Thanks for replying- I think I might save my money in that case!

pelicano
July 13th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I'm ahving trouble finding clarifying shampoo locally - the three I can find in my local Boots/Supermarkets are Herbal Essences Fresh Balance Shampoo, Pantene Pro-V Clarifying and Tresemme Vitamin C Deep Cleansing.

Has anyone used these? Are any of them good? I've never used a clarfifying shampoo before so I'm not sure :(

Depends what you're trying to get rid of. If you are trying to get rid of a build up of cones, sulfates are what you need. If you have a build up of minerals on the hair (from hard water etc), it's disodium EDTA that you need.

partlycloudy
July 14th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Does anyone know where to get a cheap (ish) pure boar bristle brush in the UK?

I don't mind spending a bit more for quality, but Mason Pearson prices are just rediculous. I wouldn't mind spending, say, £20 for a good quality brush though.

Any ideas?

pixiestar
July 14th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Does anyone know where to get a cheap (ish) pure boar bristle brush in the UK?

I don't mind spending a bit more for quality, but Mason Pearson prices are just rediculous. I wouldn't mind spending, say, £20 for a good quality brush though.

Any ideas?

I bought a Kent bbb in Boots, I think it was £8. I think its very good:D

finzi
July 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Hi

Dropping by to let you know about a new product line which is available in the UK. It's called Kitoko. It's a brand new launch and won't be available to buy just yet, but I have been in contact with the manufacturer and obtained FULL ingredients listings for all shampoos and conditioners. I've posted the details in another thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74423&highlight=kitoko

I'm curious about them and would like to try one or two products. With the exception of their oil treatment all the products I've listed are cone-free, which immediately aroused my curiosity. Time will tell.

I found out about Kitoko when I was trying to find a new supplier for the Mastey products which I've used and loved for years. Mastey is no longer being imported to the UK :( I just ordered a huge batch from the US and you can imagine the shipping costs I had to pay...:rolleyes:

clairenewcastle
July 19th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Just in case anyone is interested I thought I’d mention that http://longhairedjewels.com/ (UK distributor for Ketylos) has just had another delivery of Ketylos.

I've just received two Ketylos from the site and OMG I adore them!

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6415&pictureid=108282

The bottom one is a medium Turquoise Gemwood and the top one is a short Tahitian Jadewood.

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6415&pictureid=108280

pixiestar
July 20th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Just in case anyone is interested I thought I’d mention that http://longhairedjewels.com/ (UK distributor for Ketylos) has just had another delivery of Ketylos.

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6415&pictureid=108282

The bottom one is a medium Turquoise Gemwood and the top one is a short Tahitian Jadewood.

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6415&pictureid=108280

Those are gorgeous clairenewcasele, I definitely need to get some of those when my hair gets longer:)

clairenewcastle
July 20th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Those are gorgeous clairenewcasele, I definitely need to get some of those when my hair gets longer:)

I absolutely love them! My hair isn't very long by the way, I haven't measured it for a while but I'm about 18 - 19 inches at the moment.

I ordered small hairsticks from the same seller in the past for half-ups and just recently I've been able to use hairsticks properly for a full up-do.

Good luck with your growing!

finzi
July 21st, 2011, 10:07 AM
Was in Superdrug today and they had quite a few Goody products, including the Spin Pins! I was in a small town, so the Superdrug was a small branch, so Goody products aren't just for the larger stores :)

StormVixen
July 21st, 2011, 03:04 PM
there is a new Naked conditioner called Renew strengthening... coconut and passionflower flavour... :)

Angel8
July 22nd, 2011, 09:09 AM
Sainsburys is having special half price on the Dove hair products this week. I specially like their conditioner in Advanced care and repairs range it make my hair feel really silky.

Locksmith
July 22nd, 2011, 03:14 PM

Ohh, PRETTY! :D The Turquoise Gemwood is particularly lovely.

clairenewcastle
July 23rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
Ohh, PRETTY! :D The Turquoise Gemwood is particularly lovely.

VERY pretty! I'm totally in love with them for they hold exceptionally well.

Becky9679
July 24th, 2011, 12:34 AM

I love this site too, I said a while back I may be getting some of her sticks - well these are the ones I got!http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8101&pictureid=107774

She's also a lovely woman, so helpful and friendly

pixiestar
July 24th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I love this site too, I said a while back I may be getting some of her sticks - well these are the ones I got!http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8101&pictureid=107774

wow those are gorgeous:D

clairenewcastle
July 25th, 2011, 05:42 PM

Those look absolutely beautiful!
Hopefully you'll be posing some action shots....

She really goes out of her way to help me too when I buy sticks from her, it's lovely to deal with someone who is so friendly and helpful.

catarinalaree
July 26th, 2011, 03:50 PM

Oh my gosh, they are GORGEOUS!! I wanna get all of them (once my hair is long enough :rolleyes: ) Does anyone know where I can get those turban-like towels? I think they are called Turbie Twist or something.