PDA

View Full Version : Black hair is disgusting! How?!

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 05:43 AM
Okay so I have some of friends came to my house yesterday, and when they get in they asked me for a house tour. Everything was fine until I took them to the bathroom and all of them shocked to see how much of products, both of my skincare products (which will be, like 13 products) and hair care products (which is a lots). And then they started to ask me that why do I need so much products for my skin and my hair, and my skin looks fine I don’t need 13 steps of skincare every night (actually, yes I do need it because I like it and it keeps my skin healthy) and beside, my hair’s short (to them, APL considered short, I mean, it not short to me lol) why I have to put so much things on my hair.

And so on, the whole “products” topic become to be expanded because when they looking at those hair care products at mine, it reminded them about a girl in my school. About this girl, I have mentioned her once on this forum, just couldn’t remember what is that topic now :( And that girl is younger than me but already own a beautiful long black hair, it was knee length which is super incredible to me, I have never seen anyone with long hair like that in real life before. The thing is, she always let down her hair, I’ve never saw her hair being tied up, she keep letting is flowing freely. Well, I like that, I like to see a person let down their hair and just really enjoy it :) But my friends hates it (all of them has short hair), they hated it because it looks like rat’s tail (once again, just couldn’t understand why people using the word “rat’s tail” to describe somebody hair, that’s so rude), also because it looks nasty and most of them all, long black is disgusting! I had to stopped them and asked what’s wrong with the whole “black hair is disgusting”? I mean, why? And they answer me is because long black hair will reminded you about those female ghost, just the girl from the ring. When I heard it, I couldn’t do anything but just silent, because they have their point of view and I can’t do anything to change it. They also say that if I want to have long hair, dye it first because it would be beautiful and better on me, long black hair will make me older than my real age :(

So yeah, just couldn’t understand why there are so many reasons to not have long black hair :(( In my country, long black hair is something that belong to our traditional, which is something really special, but to have long hair? No one would want it and when they catched up someone with long hair (mid-length for example), they would consumed that is looks like a ghost and become scare of it :( This is also the reason why I dye my hair in the past, simply because I was once believe everything they said about long black hair, I think that my hair color is boring and didn’t attractive like those with blonde, brown, red,... any color but black :( It took me a long time to finally accept myself and truly apprecitate my hair color.
So, what’s your opinion on this? Is black hair is that…*cough* disgusting? :((

https://postimg.org/image/4mnfmohcr/
https://s9.postimg.org/4mnfmohcr/7f725283553f6ee0587d1ca3af5e6191.jpg
https://postimg.org/image/h2k5gfaor
https://s9.postimg.org/h2k5gfaor/adc23fd6fabe98f0a612962ddedf3eb0.jpg
https://postimg.org/image/ujh3zbfvf
https://s9.postimg.org/ujh3zbfvf/7616ac5200302f8c47aea8f4e36c3dd2.jpg

Dendra
March 20th, 2018, 05:57 AM
I dyed my hair black for years because I find black hair beautiful, as I'm sure many here do! The grass is always greener on the other side. Growing up with fair hair often you want dark hair and vice versa.

I think you were very patient with your friends, but please don't let them make you think that black hair is ugly, far from it. There are some members on here with black hair that I think most people would agree is amongst the most stunning hair on LHC. Who is that in the images you posted, or is it three different people? Either way that hair is gorgeous!

lapushka
March 20th, 2018, 06:10 AM
Your friends are ignorant. TBH, I don't know why you need to discuss this with them in the first place. Letting them into your life too much is obviously not a good thing.

Oh, just a question. Can I ask you to write in paragraphs, because I am having trouble reading that "wall of text", with no spaces in between; it is wrecking my poor eyesight. ;)

fhairyqueen
March 20th, 2018, 06:16 AM
Long black hair is BEAUTIFUL !!
I love Amy Lee from the band evanescence’s hair it’s gorgeous !!!! It’s to die for in her music videos
I used to have my hair black and loved it
I actually really regretted bleaching over it
I first dyed my hair black when I was about 7 I was in primary school and the only person with dyed hair as I wanted to be like princess jasmine from Aladdin
I understand that some people prefer certain colours but they are being really sour by the sounds of it .... if anything they sound jealous of the length or something . Something is getting them envious to react like that . That reaction is excessive .
Black hair looks so pretty both straight wavy and curly , and you can really have accessories that pop against black hair
Please don’t be put off by their ignorant comments

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 06:19 AM
I dyed my hair black for years because I find black hair beautiful, as I'm sure many here do! The grass is always greener on the other side. Growing up with fair hair often you want dark hair and vice versa.

I think you were very patient with your friends, but please don't let them make you think that black hair is ugly, far from it. There are some members on here with black hair that I think most people would agree is amongst the most stunning hair on LHC. Who is that in the images you posted, or is it three different people? Either way that hair is gorgeous!

Well since they're my friends, I have to patience with them sometime, even I just didn't agree with it :( A group of friends is girl is already a mess, I would say that keep silent and try to talk about something else will be better :) And yes, I agree that there are a lots of people with amazing long black hair on LHC, and black hair is not that bad so :))) Those images is from Pinterest, I keep a long hair collection on there, these are a few pictures that I take out from it :)

Hexen
March 20th, 2018, 06:20 AM
Black hair is one of the greatest gifts that mama nature can bestow upon a mortal being.
And that is my opinion...

Mine in later life is very very often mistaken for black...but it is not.

Back in Black???

Nope.....
Born, in black. :)

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Your friends are ignorant. TBH, I don't know why you need to discuss this with them in the first place. Letting them into your life too much is obviously not a good thing.

Oh, just a question. Can I ask you to write in paragraphs, because I am having trouble reading that "wall of text", with no spaces in between; it is wrecking my poor eyesight. ;)

I couldn't do anything since I'm try my best to not blow it out and they are my friends, guess that not everyone can have the same opinion :(
I have fix the post now :) Sorry for the "wall of text" :))))

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 06:29 AM
Long black hair is BEAUTIFUL !!
I love Amy Lee from the band evanescence’s hair it’s gorgeous !!!! It’s to die for in her music videos
I used to have my hair black and loved it
I actually really regretted bleaching over it
I first dyed my hair black when I was about 7 I was in primary school and the only person with dyed hair as I wanted to be like princess jasmine from Aladdin
I understand that some people prefer certain colours but they are being really sour by the sounds of it .... if anything they sound jealous of the length or something . Something is getting them envious to react like that . That reaction is excessive .
Black hair looks so pretty both straight wavy and curly , and you can really have accessories that pop against black hair
Please don’t be put off by their ignorant comments

You dye your hair when you 7? Wow, my mother would never let me do something like that when I'm in that age :)) Your are right, some people just prefer certain colors. I love to wearing hair accessories, eventhough I'm really bad at doing my hair so I didn't have any chance to wear it, except for my hair grip since I put my hair in a bun everyday and I need something to hold it up

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 06:30 AM
Black hair is one of the greatest gifts that mama nature can bestow upon a mortal being.
And that is my opinion...

Mine in later life is very very often mistaken for black...but it is not.

Back in Black???

Nope.....
Born, in black. :)

Totally agree! And I ahve to say your hair in the picture looks amazing :)) It is dark brown?

pailin
March 20th, 2018, 06:39 AM
I've always thought black hair is gorgeous. When I was little I used to wish I had black, straight hair. I live in Thailand by the way, and dyed hair is really popular here too. I think it's a shame that girls feel like they have to dye their hair for it to be beautiful. But it is very human in a way; people want what they don't have. And they think it is beautiful just because it is different, or because someone in Hollywood or a fashion magazine says that is what is beautiful.
Do what you want, and whenever you need someone to remind you that black hair is beautiful, you'll find it here.

Aredhel
March 20th, 2018, 06:41 AM
As a "black"-haired gal, I absolutely love my hair colour and wholeheartedly disagree with your rude friends. I love other hair colours too, but I will always prefer my own dark hair the most. :)

spidermom
March 20th, 2018, 06:48 AM
Well, it certainly wouldn't suit me personally, but I agree that black hair can be beautiful.

Chromis
March 20th, 2018, 06:55 AM
Well since they're my friends, I have to patience with them sometime, even I just didn't agree with it :( A group of friends is girl is already a mess, I would say that keep silent and try to talk about something else will be better :) And yes, I agree that there are a lots of people with amazing long black hair on LHC, and black hair is not that bad so :))) Those images is from Pinterest, I keep a long hair collection on there, these are a few pictures that I take out from it :)

First, small mod note: We don't allow hotlinking of images that are not yours, so I had to change them to normal links.

Now, for not-mod, normal member content!

A group of friends who are girls does not need to be a mess. These people hardly sound like good friends and I would advise you to not put up with them being so rude. In fact, I would flatly say, "Rude, next topic." or "Yeah, that's my hair stuff, it's a hobby." *they say weird things* "Well, it works for me, moving on then!"

I get that you landed up in this discussion because you were giving them a house tour, but in the future they have shown they are not good people to talk about with that kind of stuff. In fact, they sound like not-that-great people anyhow if they are going to spend so much energy to tear you down. That is not friendly behaviour. Maybe branch out a little and jujst hang out more with the people in the group you are *really* friends with and not the whole group so much. There are loads more people to meet.

Lumienkeli
March 20th, 2018, 07:04 AM
Snowhite has black hair and Jasmine too! I love them becase they are the dark haired Disney princesses!:) (And Mulan, and Belle too! ) :)

Black hair could be ugly, as blond, brown, red or grey hair. Any hair could be ugly if dirty, full of splits, smells badly, but never because the color. The color is not the measurment of health or good care.

Yeah, the ghost girl from Ring is scary, but not that much to let me imagine her in every long dark haired woman. Perharps your friends have trouble with their deepest fears and less with any hair color.

When I was 10 I was jealous to every long haired girl, because I had short hair. I made rude comments on long haired classmates. (My Mom took me to the hairdresser in every 3 month for a pixie cut.) Than once I refused to go to the hairdresser and started to grow out my hair when I was 12. As my hair grew my frustration disappeard. I am sorry about those comments, I was only jealous and wanted long hair and I am happy that I realized it.

It was a good lesson. When I feel the need to comment others first I stop to think what is my problem with myself? It helps a lot to not hurt others! :)

fhairyqueen
March 20th, 2018, 07:07 AM
I know I would never let my daughters dye their hair they are ages 7 and 5.
I even look back and think wow I can’t believe I was allowed to do that ....
I also had an upper helix piercing and nose pierced in primary school to but I was about 10 then .
At the time I was excited and thought I have such a cool mum and dad but now I have my own children it shocks me as i would never allow my children to do any of those things until they are at least 16 minimum maybe even 18 if I have it my way lol

You dye your hair when you 7? Wow, my mother would never let me do something like that when I'm in that age :)) Your are right, some people just prefer certain colors. I love to wearing hair accessories, eventhough I'm really bad at doing my hair so I didn't have any chance to wear it, except for my hair grip since I put my hair in a bun everyday and I need something to hold it up

hennalove
March 20th, 2018, 07:43 AM
First off, your friends are rather rude. It's none of their business what or how many products you use for personal care products unless they are asking your opinion on whether a product you use might work for them.

TBH, I do pay attention to other people's hair and sometimes notice that haircare may be off a bit but I don't know the reason so it isn't my place to judge. And believe me there are times my hair has not looked the best.

I personally love long, flowing hair regardless of the colour. My hair is naturally dark almost black, now salt & pepper but burgundy black with henna/indigo. It's a bit past WL and I have no intentions of cutting or stopping the henna/indigo. If someone else doesn't like it, they can pardon my language - bugger off. My hair, my rules :)

lapushka
March 20th, 2018, 07:53 AM
I love the paragraphs! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! I went through the best I could at first; but now I'm reading again, in case there's something I might have missed.

First of all, I have a routine for my skin too that is pretty long. Now 13 products is quite a lot. I think I have 6, one part for morning, one part for night. But that's not including cleansers (which I don't use) and the like. So it adds up. You don't have to answer to them, honestly.

And if the only thing black hair reminds them of is a few horror movies, their world is so tiny! OMG. Be glad you're not like them. :)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with black hair, or gray hair, or any color for that matter. I quite like it. Both my parents have (had) black hair. They are in their 70s now and gray mostly (my mom dyes it blonde because it's easier when the gray grows out).

My mom didn't much like her black hair either, but she *herself* didn't like it. It was not because other people told her they didn't like it (not that she ever would have listened). She dyed it red, and blonde, mostly, in her life.

I say do what you want to do, and don't listen to your "friends". Maybe the house tour was a mistake, but you could not have known that in advance.

nycelle
March 20th, 2018, 07:56 AM
I love black hair. My mom had very dark brown (almost black), pin straight hair she wore long when I was a kid. It was gorgeous. I was always jealous of her hair.

Margarita
March 20th, 2018, 08:10 AM
I started dying my hair black and i love it. Im looking forward to remain in black hair, even when they get longer. Its gonna be beautiful, dont listen to toxic people, just do what pleases you :)

victorian girl
March 20th, 2018, 08:52 AM
Why all of you LHC-ers have such weird friends?.. (I just read another recent topic about a similar problem). Of course black hair IS beautiful! In my opinion, every natural hair color has something attractive about it, and as to the black hair - think how dramatic, contrasting and deep it is, and how it helps you with wearing all sorts of bold colours (usually that's the case with black hair), and how many people are dying their hair black, but no one of them will look as great and natural with them as you do... so, just love your hair, be proud of it, and tell your friends to stop being so rude to others.

cjk
March 20th, 2018, 08:55 AM
My country, my country...I don't know which country you call home but if long black hair is closely associated with older women it's possible they are saying that it makes you look like an older woman.

How old are they?

Here's the thing. The vast majority of people, everywhere, really don't think for themselves. Articles like "10 Hairstyles for 2018" prove this. If your long hair is atypical, in those circles, they're going to label it as unattractive.

And they'd be wrong.

Well maintained long black hair is stunningly beautiful. Objectively. It's not trendy. It's a classic.

Dark40
March 20th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Long black hair is gorgeous. I've been dyeing my hair black off and on for years. Your friends are ignorant, and I think they are just jealous because they can't have or grow long black hair.

You don't need to have those kind of people in your life.

JennGalt
March 20th, 2018, 09:16 AM
These people don't sound like real friends, honestly. I'd find new (and better!) friends if I were you. No real friend should ever say anything rude about your natural hair color or tell you that you need to subject your hair to harsh treatments to be acceptable in their eyes.

If you must stay friends with them, don't stay silent if they being this up again. I'd probably point out how immature they are being by rolling my eyes and then sarcastically offering to check under their beds at night so scary movie characters don't reach out and grab them. At least point out how rude and immature they're being!

I'm partial to black hair myself--probably because my own hair is black :) Long black hair is beautiful. Don't listen to those silly "friends" and do whatever you want with your hair. After all, it's yours--not theirs.

Aredhel
March 20th, 2018, 09:16 AM
A group of friends who are girls does not need to be a mess. These people hardly sound like good friends and I would advise you to not put up with them being so rude. In fact, I would flatly say, "Rude, next topic." or "Yeah, that's my hair stuff, it's a hobby." *they say weird things* "Well, it works for me, moving on then!"

I get that you landed up in this discussion because you were giving them a house tour, but in the future they have shown they are not good people to talk about with that kind of stuff. In fact, they sound like not-that-great people anyhow if they are going to spend so much energy to tear you down. That is not friendly behaviour. Maybe branch out a little and jujst hang out more with the people in the group you are *really* friends with and not the whole group so much. There are loads more people to meet.

Absolutely agree with all of this, particularly the highlighted part. Groups of girls always being catty towards one another is a stereotype I've always abhorred. I have a group of very close female friends and we are all like sisters. Being deliberately unkind to one another is just not something that real friends do, in my opinion. I agree that OP shouldn't put up with their rudeness either.

Side note as a response to the thread in general: perhaps it's a cultural difference in some areas (I live in Canada), but when I step out of line with things that I say or am particularly rude, my friends are always very forward and honest about vocalizing their opinions about me to my face. And likewise when my friends say things that I find tasteless... we're always honest with each other. I believe that good friends need to be honest with each other; I'd hardly consider myself a good friend if I don't speak up when I think my friends are wrong. :) (EDIT: I'm so sorry, I'm not insinuating that anyone who isn't like me is a bad friend; just speaking about my own personal expectations of myself!)

lapushka
March 20th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Aredhel, I do think I get the point, communication is key. Sometimes even good friends step over the line, but you need to be in a position where you can say, hey, no need for that, that was out of line and that that is accepted by the friend, and then talked through. Sometimes it can lead to a bit of an argument, but you need to be in a place where it sorts itself out. Even friends have hiccups between them sometimes.

How's the relationship with those friends on other levels, OP?

Aredhel
March 20th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Aredhel, I do think I get the point, communication is key. Sometimes even good friends step over the line, but you need to be in a position where you can say, hey, no need for that, that was out of line and that that is accepted by the friend, and then talked through. Sometimes it can lead to a bit of an argument, but you need to be in a place where it sorts itself out. Even friends have hiccups between them sometimes.

Yup, exactly this (only you put it more eloquently than I did lol :)).

Blue Mermaid
March 20th, 2018, 10:34 AM
To be honest, sounds like classic jealousy to me. They don't have the knowledge/ability/patience to have long beautiful hair, so they pick it apart. I'd ignore, or state my personal opinion that silky straight black hair is beautiful. I used to put chemicals on my head to dye it black when I was younger and had my hair long. Amy Lee and Arwen were my hair idols at 14 years old.

ravenskey
March 20th, 2018, 11:01 AM
I have black hair and would never dye it.

As for it being disgusting, well any hair black, brown, blonde or red can be unattractive if it's dirty or damaged but not because of the colour. Some people may look better with one hair colour or another but all colours have good points.

MoonRabbit
March 20th, 2018, 11:26 AM
When I was in school I dyed my hair espresso brown so it looked very black indoors with a hint of brown in the light. Well when I showed up to one class, many of my acquaintances had said " Oh I like your hair' or the inevitable "You dyed your hair". But one guy, who I never spoke a word to in my life came up to me and said " EH, I liked you better before".

Not like I ever asked for his opinion and I certainly do not need validation from him before I change my hair color. But I kept the color for a long time because I absolutely adore black hair. I know one day I do plan to have that color again with very long locks.

AutobotsAttack
March 20th, 2018, 11:52 AM

I agree with Lapushka. Why even entertain them with a response?

I know everyone has their preferences, but there’s no need to be nasty about it.

I enjoy admiring all hair colors. Red, brown, black, blonde, and color treated hair of all colors under the rainbow.

Your “friends” seem to have some insecurities that they might wish to work on.

Hexen
March 20th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Totally agree! And I ahve to say your hair in the picture looks amazing :)) It is dark brown?

Thanks TFF! And affirmative :)

amiraaah
March 20th, 2018, 12:58 PM
I faced the same problem with my light brown hair and eyebrows.my cousins used to say that my long brown hair makes me a rural person and not fashionable.they also commented a lot on a girl with my similar hair color and said that this makes her look like a kid and she will never look like a lady or a woman just a plain kid.actually,I suffered a lot because of my pale skin and not having black hair like them.i remember once they told me that they want to do a hairstyle on my classic length hair and I welcomed this.they started brushing,tucking and pulling my hair and it was frizzy mess,they also made knots in my hair by making these very little braids and I told them just stop I don’t want this anymore.i went to the bathroom and cried so bad this night.i was forced to cut those knots because my mom wasn’t there:(
No hair color is disgusting,every color has it’s own beauty.and I believe that the natural hair color is the most suitable color for the person.long black hair can never be disgusting just check that amazing channel of beautyklove on YouTube and this will show you how beautiful and healthy black hair can be.

chiapommama
March 20th, 2018, 01:25 PM
You've got beautiful hair. You do what makes you happy. Real friends would accept you for who you are, not find fault all the time.

Like Amiraaah said check out beautyklove's you tube channel. She's got gorgeous long black hair.
It's excellent.

Doom
March 20th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Call them racist for discriminating against BLACK hair. ;)

lapushka
March 20th, 2018, 02:33 PM
I faced the same problem with my light brown hair and eyebrows.my cousins used to say that my long brown hair makes me a rural person and not fashionable.they also commented a lot on a girl with my similar hair color and said that this makes her look like a kid and she will never look like a lady or a woman just a plain kid.actually,I suffered a lot because of my pale skin and not having black hair like them.i remember once they told me that they want to do a hairstyle on my classic length hair and I welcomed this.they started brushing,tucking and pulling my hair and it was frizzy mess,they also made knots in my hair by making these very little braids and I told them just stop I don’t want this anymore.i went to the bathroom and cried so bad this night.i was forced to cut those knots because my mom wasn’t there:(
No hair color is disgusting,every color has it’s own beauty.and I believe that the natural hair color is the most suitable color for the person.long black hair can never be disgusting just check that amazing channel of beautyklove on YouTube and this will show you how beautiful and healthy black hair can be.

Yes look her up on YT; that girl has awesome hair and her videos aren't too bad either. :)

lucid
March 20th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Long black hair can remind me of asian horror movies as well. Had a friend a couple of years ago with long black hair that used to pull her hair forward and pretend she was the woman from the ring. She couldn't have pulled that of with blonde hair :p

Having that said, I love black or dark hair, even colored my hair black once. Black hair is one of my favorite hair colors, along with white hair.

Suze
March 20th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Black hair is awesome! I think all natural haircolours are. But for me I always had a thing for black hair and even dyed my hair black for about 5-6 years.

I think the behaviour of your friends is quite rude and ignorant. You should use whatever products you like. They may have a surprised reaction yes, and even a little joke is allowed in my rulebook but it should still be respectful.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 20th, 2018, 03:55 PM
I love black hair! (Just not on me - I tried it once :p) All hair colours are beautiful! Your friends did a great job of showing you how immature and silly they can be. The only answer I would give them is "That's the way I like it", and move on from there. They sound like they are about 10 years old....

cathair
March 20th, 2018, 04:30 PM
Sounds like one of those, "opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one and most of them stink", situations. It might be how they feel, but it isn't necessary to say it.

I just wouldn't talk hair with them and probably wouldn't have them over again.

Borgessa
March 20th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Don't let people go through or look at your things, what TP you choose to buy is no one elses business is it?? Same with anything you buy, you don't have to explain anything to anyone. Doesn't' sound like friends. My advice stop giving people tours of your house, particularly your bedroom and bathroom.

*Wednesday*
March 20th, 2018, 05:18 PM
I guess people like this live on the fringes of society? I never ran into anyone with so strong of an opinion on a [natural] hair color being disgusting. Especially friends.

*Wednesday*
March 20th, 2018, 05:20 PM

Black hair matters!

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 06:09 PM
As a "black"-haired gal, I absolutely love my hair colour and wholeheartedly disagree with your rude friends. I love other hair colours too, but I will always prefer my own dark hair the most. :)
Other hair colors is beautiful, but of course that I will never have it because first, it didn't suit me and second, I'm not born with it anyway :D

Well, it certainly wouldn't suit me personally, but I agree that black hair can be beautiful.
Totally agree, black hair can be beautiful just like any other hair colors

First, small mod note: We don't allow hotlinking of images that are not yours, so I had to change them to normal links.

Now, for not-mod, normal member content!

First, I'm so sorry I didn't know about that, I will just using the normal link next time. Second, you were right, they've show that they're not the right people to talk about this topic, while I always love to talk about it :( It just, because this is the first time they came to my house, I can't do anything but try to be hospitable :(

wannabe-rusalka
March 20th, 2018, 06:11 PM
I honestly think black hair is some of the most beautiful hair around. It always looks incredibly shiny and sleek to me- probably one of my favorite hair colors tbh.

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Snowhite has black hair and Jasmine too! I love them becase they are the dark haired Disney princesses!:) (And Mulan, and Belle too! ) :)

Black hair could be ugly, as blond, brown, red or grey hair. Any hair could be ugly if dirty, full of splits, smells badly, but never because the color. The color is not the measurment of health or good care.

Yeah, the ghost girl from Ring is scary, but not that much to let me imagine her in every long dark haired woman. Perharps your friends have trouble with their deepest fears and less with any hair color.

When I was 10 I was jealous to every long haired girl, because I had short hair. I made rude comments on long haired classmates. (My Mom took me to the hairdresser in every 3 month for a pixie cut.) Than once I refused to go to the hairdresser and started to grow out my hair when I was 12. As my hair grew my frustration disappeard. I am sorry about those comments, I was only jealous and wanted long hair and I am happy that I realized it.

It was a good lesson. When I feel the need to comment others first I stop to think what is my problem with myself? It helps a lot to not hurt others! :)
And Tiana too! I love Tiana so much :D

And yes of course, no matter what your hair type or color is, a dirty hair with bad smell, full of split ends can be considered ugly. I shouldn't about the color or anything :(

I've growing up within people normally think that long hair is scary, there were a time I think the same way like them too :( But I've try to get rid that when I saw lots of people with beautiful long black hair on LHC, Youtube and Pinterest

I feel good for you, when you can realize it just in time :) I've never have any jealous with those who have long hair before, all I do when I see a girl with long hair is just admired her from the inside :D

I know I would never let my daughters dye their hair they are ages 7 and 5.
I even look back and think wow I can’t believe I was allowed to do that ....
I also had an upper helix piercing and nose pierced in primary school to but I was about 10 then .
At the time I was excited and thought I have such a cool mum and dad but now I have my own children it shocks me as i would never allow my children to do any of those things until they are at least 16 minimum maybe even 18 if I have it my way lol
You have your parents allowed you to do that, when I was young none of them would let me do that and I just think, urgh, my parents not cool at all lol

First off, your friends are rather rude. It's none of their business what or how many products you use for personal care products unless they are asking your opinion on whether a product you use might work for them.

TBH, I do pay attention to other people's hair and sometimes notice that haircare may be off a bit but I don't know the reason so it isn't my place to judge. And believe me there are times my hair has not looked the best.

I personally love long, flowing hair regardless of the colour. My hair is naturally dark almost black, now salt & pepper but burgundy black with henna/indigo. It's a bit past WL and I have no intentions of cutting or stopping the henna/indigo. If someone else doesn't like it, they can pardon my language - bugger off. My hair, my rules :)
Agree. I used to visited one of their house too and figured out how many high heels and purse inside their wardrobe, I didn't say anything because it's not my position judging or anything.

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 06:31 PM
I love the paragraphs! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! I went through the best I could at first; but now I'm reading again, in case there's something I might have missed.

First of all, I have a routine for my skin too that is pretty long. Now 13 products is quite a lot. I think I have 6, one part for morning, one part for night. But that's not including cleansers (which I don't use) and the like. So it adds up. You don't have to answer to them, honestly.

And if the only thing black hair reminds them of is a few horror movies, their world is so tiny! OMG. Be glad you're not like them. :)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with black hair, or gray hair, or any color for that matter. I quite like it. Both my parents have (had) black hair. They are in their 70s now and gray mostly (my mom dyes it blonde because it's easier when the gray grows out).

My mom didn't much like her black hair either, but she *herself* didn't like it. It was not because other people told her they didn't like it (not that she ever would have listened). She dyed it red, and blonde, mostly, in her life.

I say do what you want to do, and don't listen to your "friends". Maybe the house tour was a mistake, but you could not have known that in advance.
Yes, may be the house tour was a mistake :( I just couldn't think that they would say something like that about my routines and stuff :(
My mother didn't like her black hair too, even though I do think that she looks good with after I saw a picture of her with black hair when I were young. I have never saw her with black hair entire my life since she dye it into a orange-ish (?) tone when I was really small and still, continue to dye it now :)
And yes I'm glad that I didn't think about it in the way like them :D

I started dying my hair black and i love it. Im looking forward to remain in black hair, even when they get longer. Its gonna be beautiful, dont listen to toxic people, just do what pleases you :)
Thank you Margarita, it so good to see someone actually apprecitate black hair :D Most of the girl in my grade tend to dye her hair to brown, no one would want to keep, or dye it black :)

Why all of you LHC-ers have such weird friends?.. (I just read another recent topic about a similar problem). Of course black hair IS beautiful! In my opinion, every natural hair color has something attractive about it, and as to the black hair - think how dramatic, contrasting and deep it is, and how it helps you with wearing all sorts of bold colours (usually that's the case with black hair), and how many people are dying their hair black, but no one of them will look as great and natural with them as you do... so, just love your hair, be proud of it, and tell your friends to stop being so rude to others.
Thank you Victorian Girl, I wouldn't say that every LHC-ers have friends like that, it just difference people have diffrecence opinions :))))

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 20th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Are you in middle school or high school? I mean, don’t get me wrong, this just overall sounds like a very childish conversation to have. Sounds like something someone in middle school (age 14) would have said.
I, as being someone with black hair, couldn’t really care about how others feel about black hair.
The whole conversation seems silly to me. People always have some need to interject their opinions.
Anyway, seems silly to even be bothered about. Lol. I wouldn’t dump them as friends simply as they just sound young and immature. Nothing they don’t eventually grow out of. I’m sure their opinions on black hair will change as they grow.

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 09:20 PM
My country, my country...I don't know which country you call home but if long black hair is closely associated with older women it's possible they are saying that it makes you look like an older woman.

How old are they?

Here's the thing. The vast majority of people, everywhere, really don't think for themselves. Articles like "10 Hairstyles for 2018" prove this. If your long hair is atypical, in those circles, they're going to label it as unattractive.

And they'd be wrong.

Well maintained long black hair is stunningly beautiful. Objectively. It's not trendy. It's a classic.
I'm Vietnamese :D In my country, long black hair usually associtated with the old time because in the past, all Vietnamese girl would have really long hair.
We're all 17 years old :)
There was a time I really believe in those article, assumed that's fashion and try to follow the most trending hairstyle :( But now I just skip it whenever I saw those with tilte like that.

Long black hair is gorgeous. I've been dyeing my hair black off and on for years. Your friends are ignorant, and I think they are just jealous because they can't have or grow long black hair.

You don't need to have those kind of people in your life.
Honestly I've never think that they would being so harsh about long hair and stuff. I dont thinh that they are being jealous or something, I've saw them have short hair for years, none of them would want to have long hair so I don't think that's jealous, just a little bit over reacted.

These people don't sound like real friends, honestly. I'd find new (and better!) friends if I were you. No real friend should ever say anything rude about your natural hair color or tell you that you need to subject your hair to harsh treatments to be acceptable in their eyes.

If you must stay friends with them, don't stay silent if they being this up again. I'd probably point out how immature they are being by rolling my eyes and then sarcastically offering to check under their beds at night so scary movie characters don't reach out and grab them. At least point out how rude and immature they're being!

I'm partial to black hair myself--probably because my own hair is black :) Long black hair is beautiful. Don't listen to those silly "friends" and do whatever you want with your hair. After all, it's yours--not theirs.

I think that next time I wouldn't let them go into my life too deep anymore, just enough so they didn't know anything about me, therefore, can't judging me too :D

MsPharaohMoan
March 20th, 2018, 10:46 PM
Hey, that's what buns are for! Hiding your length away from the world to only bring down around those who can appreciate.

A few words have been tossed around about culture. Interesting that you're Vietnamese and to have long hair is something from the "old" days. Maybe long hair has been marketed particularly fiercely as something old fashioned in your culture? Reminds me of the flapper era in North America. I bet there was lots of pressure to conform to shorter hair in those days or else be viewed as old fashioned, or worse, not "feminist" enough.

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 11:12 PM
Absolutely agree with all of this, particularly the highlighted part. Groups of girls always being catty towards one another is a stereotype I've always abhorred. I have a group of very close female friends and we are all like sisters. Being deliberately unkind to one another is just not something that real friends do, in my opinion. I agree that OP shouldn't put up with their rudeness either.

Side note as a response to the thread in general: perhaps it's a cultural difference in some areas (I live in Canada), but when I step out of line with things that I say or am particularly rude, my friends are always very forward and honest about vocalizing their opinions about me to my face. And likewise when my friends say things that I find tasteless... we're always honest with each other. I believe that good friends need to be honest with each other; I'd hardly consider myself a good friend if I don't speak up when I think my friends are wrong. :) (EDIT: I'm so sorry, I'm not insinuating that anyone who isn't like me is a bad friend; just speaking about my own personal expectations of myself!)
It's so good to hear your personal experience on this, I'm not really good on this communication and stuff. You could say that sometime is feel good to being in a group of girls, but otherwise you will have to accept the true that you couldn't say what you really think sometime :(

I would say that we are not too close to each other, even though we hanging out together but we never actually sharing our true feelings to each other :(

To be honest, sounds like classic jealousy to me. They don't have the knowledge/ability/patience to have long beautiful hair, so they pick it apart. I'd ignore, or state my personal opinion that silky straight black hair is beautiful. I used to put chemicals on my head to dye it black when I was younger and had my hair long. Amy Lee and Arwen were my hair idols at 14 years old.
As I've said before, probably they just being too harsh on it. All of them committed to short hair and wouldn't want long hair a all. so probably it just their normal opinion on it

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 11:31 PM
When I was in school I dyed my hair espresso brown so it looked very black indoors with a hint of brown in the light. Well when I showed up to one class, many of my acquaintances had said " Oh I like your hair' or the inevitable "You dyed your hair". But one guy, who I never spoke a word to in my life came up to me and said " EH, I liked you better before".

Not like I ever asked for his opinion and I certainly do not need validation from him before I change my hair color. But I kept the color for a long time because I absolutely adore black hair. I know one day I do plan to have that color again with very long locks.
I've saw some of my friends (the other one) have hair color like you, look like black indoor but turns brown when outdoor, which is really beautiful :D I have guys like that in my school too :( Boys who's trying to be funny by making rude comments to other girls (only to girls), thought it was cool but it actually so childish :( I used to take their words very serious and really angry about it, they takes it as entertainment and keeps making those rude comments to me. But when I started to ignore it, they just find it boring and stop (well, not completely stop it) making those comments to me anymore :) So yeah, don't care about it is always a good choice :D

My friends's also think like that about long hair to, it will makes you rural and unfashionable and bla bla bla :D I mean, look at Kim Kardashian, she has long hair, do you guys think that she's unfashionable? lol :D My experience about friends and hair is never let them touching each other. Your friends will never know how much precious your hair is like you, and they will destroy it without knowing about it by using heating tools and a bunch of hair spray on it, which is awful for your hair :( My friends from secondary school used to did that on my hair, they say it will makes my hair more beautiful. Then in the of the day, I'm sitting on my bed, try to detangling my hair from hair spray, which is cause a lot of shedding :(

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 11:31 PM
You've got beautiful hair. You do what makes you happy. Real friends would accept you for who you are, not find fault all the time.

Like Amiraaah said check out beautyklove's you tube channel. She's got gorgeous long black hair.
It's excellent.
I do follow her Youtube actually :D I've follow her channel for 2 years :) Her hair is amazing!

That would be really funny lol ;)))

Blue Mermaid
March 20th, 2018, 11:32 PM
As I've said before, probably they just being too harsh on it. All of them committed to short hair and wouldn't want long hair a all. so probably it just their normal opinion on it

That's what they claim but I've been witness to the insecurity, jealousy, and henpecking females are capable of. Particularly if a certain trait makes the person they're jealous of (even though they deny it) attractive to someone the jealous person likes. For example; Girl A leaves her hair long and natural, doesn't wear makeup. A classic beauty. Guy B says to his friends, "Wow! I love how girl A doesn't wear make up to hide who she is, and long hair is so much prettier than short, frazzled dyed hair." Girl C hears this, but she likes Guy B. She's insecure and jealous, and lashes out trying to tear Girl A down behind her back/to her friends.

^ When you consider a person's motives to the things they say/their behavior, and try to understand where it comes from (fear, jealousy, insecurity, etc..) life becomes a lot simpler. You also begin to care far less about what others say/think. I run into issues similar at work, though not regarding looks (at least not overtly). I had a co-worker who was very insecure, and although I never mistreated her, made it her personal mission to try to tear me down. It was puzzling for a while. Eventually, she was on the verge of being fired for harrassment towards me (she got caught swearing at me by a supervisor). Ironically, the thing she was blaming/accusing me of was not done by me, but by her own partner. (She was reported for not following company policy).

Turns out, her partner told me later, she felt insecure because the supervisor and her partner would often speak highly of working with me- I keep my physical strength up and can definitely pull my own weight when lifting heavier patients. She was notorious for not being able to lift lighter patients without assistance. Further, I was highly recommended by several superiors to continue my education, they often would say how excited they were for me to go back to school because they knew I'd do well. By understanding this motive, you can understand seemingly irrational, erratic behavior. Sorry for the long story.

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 11:36 PM
Long black hair can remind me of asian horror movies as well. Had a friend a couple of years ago with long black hair that used to pull her hair forward and pretend she was the woman from the ring. She couldn't have pulled that of with blonde hair :p

Having that said, I love black or dark hair, even colored my hair black once. Black hair is one of my favorite hair colors, along with white hair.
Normally people would think about black hair in a negative way and blonde hair in a positive way :) Like, oh you have blonde hair that looks like Rapunzel! :)))

Black hair is awesome! I think all natural haircolours are. But for me I always had a thing for black hair and even dyed my hair black for about 5-6 years.

I think the behaviour of your friends is quite rude and ignorant. You should use whatever products you like. They may have a surprised reaction yes, and even a little joke is allowed in my rulebook but it should still be respectful.

I love black hair! (Just not on me - I tried it once :p) All hair colours are beautiful! Your friends did a great job of showing you how immature and silly they can be. The only answer I would give them is "That's the way I like it", and move on from there. They sound like they are about 10 years old....

Sounds like one of those, "opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one and most of them stink", situations. It might be how they feel, but it isn't necessary to say it.

I just wouldn't talk hair with them and probably wouldn't have them over again.

Don't let people go through or look at your things, what TP you choose to buy is no one elses business is it?? Same with anything you buy, you don't have to explain anything to anyone. Doesn't' sound like friends. My advice stop giving people tours of your house, particularly your bedroom and bathroom.

I guess is my fault since I keep let everybody came into my life and let them judging it :( Probably no more hair talk next time would solve it :D

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 11:44 PM
Hey, that's what buns are for! Hiding your length away from the world to only bring down around those who can appreciate.

A few words have been tossed around about culture. Interesting that you're Vietnamese and to have long hair is something from the "old" days. Maybe long hair has been marketed particularly fiercely as something old fashioned in your culture? Reminds me of the flapper era in North America. I bet there was lots of pressure to conform to shorter hair in those days or else be viewed as old fashioned, or worse, not "feminist" enough.
I would say that it just the teenager doesn't into long hair anymore. Well, they probably would prefer short hair with ombré or bright color than just keep it simple with long black hair

Are you in middle school or high school? I mean, don’t get me wrong, this just overall sounds like a very childish conversation to have. Sounds like something someone in middle school (age 14) would have said.
I, as being someone with black hair, couldn’t really care about how others feel about black hair.
The whole conversation seems silly to me. People always have some need to interject their opinions.
Anyway, seems silly to even be bothered about. Lol. I wouldn’t dump them as friends simply as they just sound young and immature. Nothing they don’t eventually grow out of. I’m sure their opinions on black hair will change as they grow.
I'm actually in high school right now :) And yes, I could be bothered about it at the first time but after reading all of your comments it has cleared my mind and now I think that I would just simply dont care about it anymore :( Ain't worth after all :(

yahirwaO.o
March 20th, 2018, 11:54 PM
Well I sort of understand this coming from another but quite similar background!

Here in Mexico black hair is super common; however social pressure, old colonial traces and trends heck even social position dictaminations kinda bashes it for being ugly, old or only poor people have it.

Idiosyncrasy of countries that were past colonie´s lands often share this weird thing for aiming to be another cultural background or social higher position. I know this is kinda hard to say but I see this quite often in my country and lovely ladies with gorgeous black hair often dye it to make themselves more "modern, approachable and not looking indigenous"

Myself I once was mistaken for being an old woman by a guy who saw me behind my back. One of my friends eventually told me what this guy thought of me and his words were kinda: "Only old, poor "india" and creepy women wear their that long, hes is a boy why would he want that"

Luckily there is a lot of people who happen to be proud for what we are. I know im sort of a fusion of "taboo things" to mexican heck even wester society don´t accept...... but im here to be myself and be happy with it :) (Rude comments are just that, and anyone who is supposed to be your friend shouldn't mess with something physical trace you are by nature)

Back to black hair not only I love mine but also it is also my most favorite "color" not only for hair but pretty much anything. I love dressing black and having my dark mane cascading into my dark tops.
It also reminds me of my heritage and native indigenous brothers and sisters which we have been oppressed, yet have a beautiful attitude-mindset and still keeping in with modern world.
Ive always been into rock so its comes as a natural thing to have both long and black combo just perfect.
Sleek,straight and shine are triple winners when the color is jet black (Mirror glass perfection ;)). Native indians and asian people are so lucky to have this naturally!

Seriously I know this girls that were catty are just young and immature and personally anyone who has that mindset I would stay away from. On the other hand, you can always be a difference and rock on your natural hair and be proud of your physical attributes and of course be yourself! :)

MidnightMoon
March 21st, 2018, 01:40 AM
Well, I'm one of those who would enjoy the comparison to any horror character. There's enough princesses and barbies in this world already...

While I also can appreciate other hair colours (specially very light blonde), any colour can be beautiful if the hair is in good condition. Amy Lee was mentioned. I love her. Also, there were a few members here with amazing hair. Hairwish was one of them, and Angeletti. You can still see their photos if you google and click images.

I think black hair can be as elegant as you wish, as severe, or as sweet, it depends on your updo, your clothes, makeup, etc. I honestly don't see anything "dark" about it on people wearing regular clothes. I do like being able to achieve this look, though.
Also, black and brown hair make the best eyebrows :P

Stop listening to "friends" who sound like an ignorant bunch who should belong in some cheesy Hollywood movie.

MidnightMoon
March 21st, 2018, 02:58 AM
Well I sort of understand this coming from another but quite similar background!

Here in Mexico black hair is super common; however social pressure, old colonial traces and trends heck even social position dictaminations kinda bashes it for being ugly, old or only poor people have it.

Idiosyncrasy of countries that were past colonie´s lands often share this weird thing for aiming to be another cultural background or social higher position. I know this is kinda hard to say but I see this quite often in my country and lovely ladies with gorgeous black hair often dye it to make themselves more "modern, approachable and not looking indigenous"

Myself I once was mistaken for being an old woman by a guy who saw me behind my back. One of my friends eventually told me what this guy thought of me and his words were kinda: "Only old, poor "india" and creepy women wear their that long, hes is a boy why would he want that"

Luckily there is a lot of people who happen to be proud for what we are. I know im sort of a fusion of "taboo things" to mexican heck even wester society don´t accept...... but im here to be myself and be happy with it :) (Rude comments are just that, and anyone who is supposed to be your friend shouldn't mess with something physical trace you are by nature)

Back to black hair not only I love mine but also it is also my most favorite "color" not only for hair but pretty much anything. I love dressing black and having my dark mane cascading into my dark tops.
It also reminds me of my heritage and native indigenous brothers and sisters which we have been oppressed, yet have a beautiful attitude-mindset and still keeping in with modern world.
Ive always been into rock so its comes as a natural thing to have both long and black combo just perfect.
Sleek,straight and shine are triple winners when the color is jet black (Mirror glass perfection ;)). Native indians and asian people are so lucky to have this naturally!

Seriously I know this girls that were catty are just young and immature and personally anyone who has that mindset I would stay away from. On the other hand, you can always be a difference and rock on your natural hair and be proud of your physical attributes and of course be yourself! :)

I agree with you... however, I think two things come in play. Number one is that nobody really chose what they look like, and it comes together with the second, which is how influenced is the world by beauty standards created and imposed by media which portrays mostly features from central and northern Europe.
Being born with native American features (whichever region) doesn’t necessarily mean this person identifies with said culture, or is/should be happy about it. I don’t think being born blonde, for example, has any merit at all, as we have no saying on who our parents are, and those who proud themselves in their “race” could well have been born something else.
When you combine this with the generalised disdain towards anything that’s not popular at the moment everywhere, you get self hate, and wish to identify with a different culture.

Civilisations in America pre-colonisation are shown as barbaric, and, while admired for their “relatively advanced knowledge of agriculture or astronomy”, they’re still portrayed as far inferior. And it’s hard not to see it that way when you compare it to what Europe was producing at that time in terms of music, literature, architecture, war equipment, etc. It’s hard not to feel “less” when you’re constantly reminded of how apparently superior certain people are, and the look associated with them.

I remember talking to a friend from Chile who mentioned people went as far as dyeing their hair blonde for job interviews as it was preferred by employers, dismissing black hair as looking “too indigenous”. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Chile welcomed immigrants from Germany and other parts of central Europe much after colonisation, and this contributed to another wave of ethnic dilution? Having lived in Spain, I found many people from LA feel uncomfortable even when they could pass as Spanish, while Spaniards don’t question the fact that they look different from the stereotypical image of Europeans and would probably be taken for Turks or Arabs because of their dark eyes, hair and skin tone (more commonly light olive, opposed to pink), which do stand out.

What I would like to see is perhaps an active appreciation of features, not necessarily based on culture. Most of the world looks different from this idealised beauty we see so much, yet many seem to struggle so much to achieve it. We live unhappy, subject to buying products, dyeing and styling our hair, adapting our clothes, all just to fit into a stereotype of beauty…

I can’t deny sometimes I can see a woman wearing your regular mass produced outfit and she looks just plain, perhaps even bad. And then you see the same person, or someone similar with clothes in colours that are really suited for her, a style that compliments her because it was created by people who know what looks better with that person’s hair colour, skin, facial features, height, and it takes your breath away. I believe some styles look better on different people, and I think it would help to see more examples in the media of people sporting them, just to introduce some variety, so that people aren’t ashamed of dressing differently to the boring standard. Same goes for hair… enough with the ombre, the blonde highlights, bobs, extensions, straightening, and so on. Why not rediscover something else (not us LHC people, I mean people who aren’t used to anything else). Maybe a couple accent braids look better, maybe black hair compliments your skin, maybe try more intense colours, an unusual shirt cut, buy shoes from an original shoe maker that really speak about who your are, (and your heritage if you want to), and so on.

lucid
March 21st, 2018, 03:57 AM
Normally people would think about black hair in a negative way and blonde hair in a positive way :) Like, oh you have blonde hair that looks like Rapunzel! :)))

I don't think this is true. Some people may not like black hair, just as some people may not like red or blonde hair. But I highly doubt that people in general think negatively of black hair.

True white blonde (white blonde that stays white as the person grows up) is rare, so that's one of the reasons that particular hair color is admired. Just like when you see a dark skinned person with blue or green eyes, it's not something you see every day so the combination itself is just mesmerizing.

Black, on the other hand, is the most common hair color throughout the world. People are used to seeing black hair all the time, so it's not special in the sense of rarity. That doesn't mean black hair isn't beautiful or admired. It absolutely is! Nothing can look as shiny and luscious as black hair, and I think it's a color most people find attractive in general.

MidnightMoon
March 21st, 2018, 04:51 AM
I don't think this is true. Some people may not like black hair, just as some people may not like red or blonde hair. But I highly doubt that people in general think negatively of black hair.

True white blonde (white blonde that stays white as the person grows up) is rare, so that's one of the reasons that particular hair color is admired. Just like when you see a dark skinned person with blue or green eyes, it's not something you see every day so the combination itself is just mesmerizing.

Black, on the other hand, is the most common hair color throughout the world. People are used to seeing black hair all the time, so it's not special in the sense of rarity. That doesn't mean black hair isn't beautiful or admired. It absolutely is! Nothing can look as shiny and luscious as black hair, and I think it's a color most people find attractive in general.

Well, being told repeatedly (reading it also, or simply knowing it) that one's hair colour is the most common in the world definitely doesn't help one feel pretty or unique in any way...
In my case, it's brown and dark blonde hair what's most common, so it also depends on where one lives. Black hair is a rarity.

In any case, I think it's the combination of hair, skin, face, clothes, and everything what can make a person stand out or not. Plain loose black hair here wouldn't make me turn my head, but blonde or brown (standard here) in an amazing updo, worn with a nice outfit and some nice makeup definitely will. More than thinking of what's common in the world and what's not, it's seeing something harmonious, ornamented, what makes me admire something about someone's look.
When in the city I get to see more people of different origins, but it's the same. In my mind I kind of classify it as "normal" aka a bit boring vs. something going on. The plain loose BSL hair, usually straight, jeans, sneakers look, nevermind the persons colouring, seems to go to the same category for me.

Alissalocks
March 21st, 2018, 07:09 AM
I associate it with the belly dancers I often perform with. It depends on what associations you come up with.

Associating it to an old horror movie is common, but dumb IMHO. Obviously, I'm biased ;) since I chose black hair and work to keep this look.

...and if I scare someone? Good! Muahahhaha!

Katsura
March 21st, 2018, 07:38 AM
I love black hair. I guess I'm a Finnish stereotype for having a soft spot for black things... :D

hennalove
March 21st, 2018, 07:57 AM

Another option is to simply put personal care products away out of sight. I do that so the grandkids don't get tempted ;)

TatsuOni
March 21st, 2018, 08:01 AM
I obviously love long black hair. Why else would I grow it and dye it black? :p

And as much as I don't think it's far that people compare yours or anyone's hair to horror movies, since they obviously doesn't mean it in a positive way, I really wouldn't mind that comparison my self. And if someone said something like that to me and meant to be negative I would just tell them "Aww, thank you! That's what I'm going for!" Or "You know, that's my big hair idol!"

Stray_mind
March 21st, 2018, 08:03 AM
I think to me personally, there is No natural hair color that i would call "disgusting"... There are some shades that i would like to have and the others that i wouldn't, however it might look Gorgeous on someone else's head.

Saying "black hair" as a shade is "disgusting" is silly imo.
I had black hair (well, not entirelly black, but a very dark brown that looked black in some lights) and i Love the shade. I think it's very bold and strong color and i really like it.

You shouldn't listen to what other people say and just enjoy what you have and like.

IsisMoon
March 21st, 2018, 08:19 AM
Okay so I have some of friends came to my house yesterday, and when they get in they asked me for a house tour. Everything was fine until I took them to the bathroom and all of them shocked to see how much of products, both of my skincare products (which will be, like 13 products) and hair care products (which is a lots). And then they started to ask me that why do I need so much products for my skin and my hair, and my skin looks fine I don’t need 13 steps of skincare every night (actually, yes I do need it because I like it and it keeps my skin healthy) and beside, my hair’s short (to them, APL considered short, I mean, it not short to me lol) why I have to put so much things on my hair.

And so on, the whole “products” topic become to be expanded because when they looking at those hair care products at mine, it reminded them about a girl in my school. About this girl, I have mentioned her once on this forum, just couldn’t remember what is that topic now :( And that girl is younger than me but already own a beautiful long black hair, it was knee length which is super incredible to me, I have never seen anyone with long hair like that in real life before. The thing is, she always let down her hair, I’ve never saw her hair being tied up, she keep letting is flowing freely. Well, I like that, I like to see a person let down their hair and just really enjoy it :) But my friends hates it (all of them has short hair), they hated it because it looks like rat’s tail (once again, just couldn’t understand why people using the word “rat’s tail” to describe somebody hair, that’s so rude), also because it looks nasty and most of them all, long black is disgusting! I had to stopped them and asked what’s wrong with the whole “black hair is disgusting”? I mean, why? And they answer me is because long black hair will reminded you about those female ghost, just the girl from the ring. When I heard it, I couldn’t do anything but just silent, because they have their point of view and I can’t do anything to change it. They also say that if I want to have long hair, dye it first because it would be beautiful and better on me, long black hair will make me older than my real age :(

So yeah, just couldn’t understand why there are so many reasons to not have long black hair :(( In my country, long black hair is something that belong to our traditional, which is something really special, but to have long hair? No one would want it and when they catched up someone with long hair (mid-length for example), they would consumed that is looks like a ghost and become scare of it :( This is also the reason why I dye my hair in the past, simply because I was once believe everything they said about long black hair, I think that my hair color is boring and didn’t attractive like those with blonde, brown, red,... any color but black :( It took me a long time to finally accept myself and truly apprecitate my hair color.
So, what’s your opinion on this? Is black hair is that…*cough* disgusting? :((

If I followed advice from people about my hair, I would have to have it in all colors and all lengths to satisfy everyone lol. So you see how obviously silly that is. :)

And I agree with what everyone told you. You'll learn in time to ignore the comments and/or find new people to surround yourself with. :)

lucid
March 21st, 2018, 08:36 AM
Well, being told repeatedly (reading it also, or simply knowing it) that one's hair colour is the most common in the world definitely doesn't help one feel pretty or unique in any way...
In my case, it's brown and dark blonde hair what's most common, so it also depends on where one lives. Black hair is a rarity.

First of all, why would anyone feel less pretty or good about them self just because of a common feature?

Second, why do people have to feel unique all the time? I think society focuses way to much on this aspect. Truth is, most people are average, and there is nothing wrong with that. We are lead to believe we have to be special or unique in order to have value, and that creates an unrealistic goal and unhealthy focus for people in general.

Most of the people who are considered classic beauties are people with pretty average features. Nothing in particular stands out, but their features are harmonizing in a way people like.

Aredhel
March 21st, 2018, 09:17 AM
First of all, why would anyone feel less pretty or good about them self just because of a common feature?

Second, why do people have to feel unique all the time? I think society focuses way to much on this aspect. Truth is, most people are average, and there is nothing wrong with that. We are lead to believe we have to be special or unique in order to have value, and that creates an unrealistic goal and unhealthy focus for people in general.

Most of the people who are considered classic beauties are people with pretty average features. Nothing in particular stands out, but their features are harmonizing in a way people like.
Agree with this. Worldwide, black hair IS the most common colour, that's just a fact. It's certainly not a rarity or unique in the slightest, but it doesn't make me feel less pretty in any way. The combination of one's otherwise not-so-unique features and one's own personality is what makes a person unique and special. Not that I put much thought or importance into the need to be unique anyway, personally... I am who I am. :)

MidnightMoon
March 21st, 2018, 09:22 AM

Because it's a way of telling someone they just blend in with the rest. I agree we shouldn't focus on trying to stand out because of our physical appearance (though I appreciate a unique style), but replying to a thread where the person has stated they have received negative comments about their hair because it is "common, old fashioned, looks creepy, and so on", by saying yet again how common it is doesn't help, in my opinion.
We all know this, we don't need to hear it once more... and we're not changing our perceptions just by reading a comment, meaning, we won't suddenly stop caring about our looks. Right now the world works this way. Imagine what it's like in those places where black hair is the norm, and only someone with light hair gets the compliments. Or someone with blue eyes. It makes you feel invisible, and under-appreciated.
Many of us come here to show off our updos, hair growth, toys, and what not. If someone is feeling down about their short length/lack of growth, for example, what use is there in telling them how everyone has short hair, how their hair is not unique, etc. The difference is at least you can grow hair out. Hair colour is forever...

That's just my opinion, and how it feels for me (someone with very dark -almost black- hair).

lucid
March 21st, 2018, 12:22 PM
Agree with this. Worldwide, black hair IS the most common colour, that's just a fact. It's certainly not a rarity or unique in the slightest, but it doesn't make me feel less pretty in any way. The combination of one's otherwise not-so-unique features and one's own personality is what makes a person unique and special. Not that I put much thought or importance into the need to be unique anyway, personally... I am who I am. :)

Very well said! I feel exactly the same way. I have brown eyes, the most common eye color - still love them, and I'm very happy with my eye color. The fact that brown eyes are common doesn't change how I feel about them at all.

Because it's a way of telling someone they just blend in with the rest. I agree we shouldn't focus on trying to stand out because of our physical appearance (though I appreciate a unique style), but replying to a thread where the person has stated they have received negative comments about their hair because it is "common, old fashioned, looks creepy, and so on", by saying yet again how common it is doesn't help, in my opinion.
We all know this, we don't need to hear it once more... and we're not changing our perceptions just by reading a comment, meaning, we won't suddenly stop caring about our looks. Right now the world works this way. Imagine what it's like in those places where black hair is the norm, and only someone with light hair gets the compliments. Or someone with blue eyes. It makes you feel invisible, and under-appreciated.
Many of us come here to show off our updos, hair growth, toys, and what not. If someone is feeling down about their short length/lack of growth, for example, what use is there in telling them how everyone has short hair, how their hair is not unique, etc. The difference is at least you can grow hair out. Hair colour is forever...

That's just my opinion, and how it feels for me (someone with very dark -almost black- hair).

I was disagreeing with op who stated that people normally would think of black hair in a negative way. I said that black hair is the most common hair color, followed by:

People are used to seeing black hair all the time, so it's not special in the sense of rarity. That doesn't mean black hair isn't beautiful or admired. It absolutely is! Nothing can look as shiny and luscious as black hair, and I think it's a color most people find attractive in in general.

How you can turn that into something negative is mind-boggling. I think people need to work on their emotional response and self-esteem if they get offended by simple facts. I don't appreciate the increasing safe-space tendencies in our society. The problem you're addressing is more that anything else an internal problem, and it cannot be solved simply censoring words and facts.

MidnightMoon
March 21st, 2018, 01:26 PM
How you can turn that into something negative is mind-boggling. I think people need to work on their emotional response and self-esteem if they get offended by simple facts. I don't appreciate the increasing safe-space tendencies in our society. The problem you're addressing is more that anything else an internal problem, and it cannot be solved simply censoring words and facts.

I'm not even sure what "tendencies" you're talking about, but please abstain from making assumptions about me, my self esteem, internal problems and whatnot without knowing the least about me. Just because someone disagrees with what is being said, the context in which it is being said, or anything of the sort doesn't mean they are the ones with "the problem".
I'm not "offended by simple facts", but simple facts can be totally irrelevant, redundant and even used to offend someone if needed to. I really don't see how telling OP her hair is the most common and you see it everywhere is relevant here at all, that's my opinion, as simple as that.
I don't have anything else to discuss, so I'll leave it at that :)

*Wednesday*
March 21st, 2018, 02:24 PM
We are lead to believe we have to be special or unique in order to have value, and that creates an unrealistic goal and unhealthy focus for people in general..

Yes. This stems into daily life living. So many kids and young people are pushed that they have to be different or special. They can't be the average Joe. Amen to this comment.

*Wednesday*
March 21st, 2018, 02:36 PM
... and we're not changing our perceptions just by reading a comment, meaning, we won't suddenly stop caring about our looks. Right now the world works this way....

I find this very true as well. I don't think anyone's opinion is wrong, I think our different life experiences are accurate here. No right or wrong.

lucid
March 21st, 2018, 03:14 PM
I'm not even sure what "tendencies" you're talking about, but please abstain from making assumptions about me, my self esteem, internal problems and whatnot without knowing the least about me. Just because someone disagrees with what is being said, the context in which it is being said, or anything of the sort doesn't mean they are the ones with "the problem".
I'm not "offended by simple facts", but simple facts can be totally irrelevant, redundant and even used to offend someone if needed to. I really don't see how telling OP her hair is the most common and you see it everywhere is relevant here at all, that's my opinion, as simple as that.
I don't have anything else to discuss, so I'll leave it at that :)

My response was general, I'm not talking about you in particular. The tendency I'm talking about is the increasing censorship of free speech, for the sake of protecting peoples feelings. What we are creating is a society which can't even handle simple things like hearing that their hair color is common...

That being said, the comment was not out of place, it was highly relevant to what I was saying. That beauty comes from several different aspecs, a feature doesn't have to be unique or rare to be beautiful or to be admired. But of course, when you take it out of context it doesn't seem relevant.

It seems to me that you are more interested in discussing one sentence taken out of context, than actually trying to understand what my intention was.

esfand
March 21st, 2018, 03:27 PM
Most people have black or dark brown hair. I don't know why it'd be disgusting, unless they think most of the human race is disgusting.

I have black hair and it looks great on me. It's a classic color.

Chromis
March 21st, 2018, 04:44 PM
The moderators would like to remind all members, both old and new to avoid "moderating without a license". If you find content on this forum objectionable, please use the report button rather than calling out or chastising members on your own. The moderators will investigate and make appropriate actions...privately...in most cases there won't be a visible action, as moderator actions are private between the moderators and members.

In addition, I would like to remind you all of the community KNIT guidelines:

"I came for the hair care advice, but I stayed for the friends."

It has been said more than once that TLHC is one of the nicest sites on the 'net. That's because we have exceptional members who genuinely care about each other and terrific moderators who strive to make sure everyone has the best experience possible. The feeling created is very much like an extended family.

On occasion, however, a quarrel will occur, or a bit of snark will creep into people's messages, and this note is a gentle reminder that the best antidote for that is for everyone to monitor their own posts. Using the Report Button is a great help to the moderators by alerting us to problems, but prevention is a way that everyone can help maintain that warm community spirit. So, as we like to say, KNIT before you post.

Before you hit the "Submit" button, review what you're about to say.

Is it Kind?

Is it Necessary?

Is it Informative?

Is it True?

Read your words as if someone else were saying them to you. How would you receive them? Would you be offended, hurt or angry? If your post doesn't pass those tests, try again. If you simply can't compose something, let the thread go, and maybe try again later.

Every once in a while, there will be something that you cannot agree with. No one expects there to be a complete meeting of minds on every single topic discussed here. In those cases, we ask for tolerance - not acceptance, but tolerance. The other person is always worthy of respect. If you post, do not attack. Agree to disagree, and let your words be civil and even as kind as possible.

Thank you, everyone, for making this such a wonderful community.

sumidha
March 21st, 2018, 10:55 PM
I've come to accept and love my hair for how it is, but if I could wave a magic wand and change it, I would change it to straight silky midnight black hair. It's beautiful and romantic and classic and shines and reflects the light like moonlight on still water at night.

Which just goes to show everyone's taste is different, and your friends are a little too free with their unsolicited opinions. You are not there to decorate their world. :)

IsisMoon
March 22nd, 2018, 01:38 AM
My response was general, I'm not talking about you in particular. The tendency I'm talking about is the increasing censorship of free speech, for the sake of protecting peoples feelings. What we are creating is a society which can't even handle simple things like hearing that their hair color is common...

That being said, the comment was not out of place, it was highly relevant to what I was saying. That beauty comes from several different aspecs, a feature doesn't have to be unique or rare to be beautiful or to be admired. But of course, when you take it out of context it doesn't seem relevant.

It seems to me that you are more interested in discussing one sentence taken out of context, than actually trying to understand what my intention was.

Have to agree with the bolded part. I have very common brown hair and I don't care, I love it. And if someone told me it was common, I honestly wouldn't care at all.

Glitch
March 22nd, 2018, 02:18 AM
I find this very true as well. I don't think anyone's opinion is wrong, I think our different life experiences are accurate here. No right or wrong.

Agreed, both viewpoints are understandable.

I'd like to kindly add that I was actually thinking the other day about just how popular black hair is worldwide, and it actually made me feel great :beercheer: For example, asian black hair is a huge thing and it's nice to know that a billion+ people live with it (not a lonely experience, lots of advice, etc.), with countless products, services, and stylists catering to just that. In certain areas like in Japan, students even have to dye their hair black if it already isn't, in order to conform/fit in with the rest, no standouts allowed. There will always be ups and downs when it comes to commonness and rarity. In my experience, it is generally true that more rare features are more sought after (bigger lips in the West, lighter skin in Asia, etc.) Regardless, we are how we are and sometimes it really takes guts to truly love that (I would know!) -Anyway, sorry for rambling, I truly do get and relate or have related with both of the different perspectives! :flower:

Particularly to the OP, to heck with such "friends." Here are a couple photos of a figure with stunning black "girl from The Ring" hair that always make me want to grow mine out to amazing lengths when I see them: http://home.chinalonghair.cn/picture/UploadFiles_2693/201401/2014010422570535.jpg & http://home.chinalonghair.cn/picture/UploadFiles_2693/201401/2014010422570528.jpg :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

katelinn
March 22nd, 2018, 04:13 AM
I have not read the whole thread, but of course black hair is beautiful, just like any shade of brown and any shade or blonde or any shade of red and any shade of grey/silver. I think your friends are very narrow minded, and i would not think much about what they are saying. If you love your hair colour and length, then do what it is YOU love. If you are unhappy with your hair, are you unhappy with it because of other people comments? Listen to your heart, not so much other people. Sometimes friends give good advice..and other times they just don't. Love yourself the way you are.

TheForestFae
March 23rd, 2018, 07:48 PM
I have not read the whole thread, but of course black hair is beautiful, just like any shade of brown and any shade or blonde or any shade of red and any shade of grey/silver. I think your friends are very narrow minded, and i would not think much about what they are saying. If you love your hair colour and length, then do what it is YOU love. If you are unhappy with your hair, are you unhappy with it because of other people comments? Listen to your heart, not so much other people. Sometimes friends give good advice..and other times they just don't. Love yourself the way you are.
Thank you Katelinn :) It's true that sometime friends give good advice and sometime thay just dont. All I have to do is just listen to myself :)

I associate it with the belly dancers I often perform with. It depends on what associations you come up with.

Associating it to an old horror movie is common, but dumb IMHO. Obviously, I'm biased ;) since I chose black hair and work to keep this look.

...and if I scare someone? Good! Muahahhaha!
I have a friend with this very long hair :) And she enjoy the feelings of people around her whenever she let her hair cover her face, try to be like the girl from the Ring lol

TheForestFae
March 23rd, 2018, 07:48 PM

Aw thank you for the advice, it really warmed my heart :))) I have never feel proud about my hair color in the past because it makes me feel like I'm not as special as people with difference hair color :( But now thanks to comments like this of you guys has makes me think again about how to appreciate more :)

That's what they claim but I've been witness to the insecurity, jealousy, and henpecking females are capable of. Particularly if a certain trait makes the person they're jealous of (even though they deny it) attractive to someone the jealous person likes. For example; Girl A leaves her hair long and natural, doesn't wear makeup. A classic beauty. Guy B says to his friends, "Wow! I love how girl A doesn't wear make up to hide who she is, and long hair is so much prettier than short, frazzled dyed hair." Girl C hears this, but she likes Guy B. She's insecure and jealous, and lashes out trying to tear Girl A down behind her back/to her friends.

^ When you consider a person's motives to the things they say/their behavior, and try to understand where it comes from (fear, jealousy, insecurity, etc..) life becomes a lot simpler. You also begin to care far less about what others say/think. I run into issues similar at work, though not regarding looks (at least not overtly). I had a co-worker who was very insecure, and although I never mistreated her, made it her personal mission to try to tear me down. It was puzzling for a while. Eventually, she was on the verge of being fired for harrassment towards me (she got caught swearing at me by a supervisor). Ironically, the thing she was blaming/accusing me of was not done by me, but by her own partner. (She was reported for not following company policy).

Turns out, her partner told me later, she felt insecure because the supervisor and her partner would often speak highly of working with me- I keep my physical strength up and can definitely pull my own weight when lifting heavier patients. She was notorious for not being able to lift lighter patients without assistance. Further, I was highly recommended by several superiors to continue my education, they often would say how excited they were for me to go back to school because they knew I'd do well. By understanding this motive, you can understand seemingly irrational, erratic behavior. Sorry for the long story.
Thank you for sharing your story :) I understand it because I have been through it too, it makes me realized how insecure people can be about themselve :( I have never try to understand the motive behind the action of people around me because I dont want to think about them in a bad way :( Just try to not judging them so fast :(

TheForestFae
March 23rd, 2018, 07:53 PM
I agree with you... however, I think two things come in play. Number one is that nobody really chose what they look like, and it comes together with the second, which is how influenced is the world by beauty standards created and imposed by media which portrays mostly features from central and northern Europe.
Being born with native American features (whichever region) doesn’t necessarily mean this person identifies with said culture, or is/should be happy about it. I don’t think being born blonde, for example, has any merit at all, as we have no saying on who our parents are, and those who proud themselves in their “race” could well have been born something else.
When you combine this with the generalised disdain towards anything that’s not popular at the moment everywhere, you get self hate, and wish to identify with a different culture.

Civilisations in America pre-colonisation are shown as barbaric, and, while admired for their “relatively advanced knowledge of agriculture or astronomy”, they’re still portrayed as far inferior. And it’s hard not to see it that way when you compare it to what Europe was producing at that time in terms of music, literature, architecture, war equipment, etc. It’s hard not to feel “less” when you’re constantly reminded of how apparently superior certain people are, and the look associated with them.

I remember talking to a friend from Chile who mentioned people went as far as dyeing their hair blonde for job interviews as it was preferred by employers, dismissing black hair as looking “too indigenous”. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Chile welcomed immigrants from Germany and other parts of central Europe much after colonisation, and this contributed to another wave of ethnic dilution? Having lived in Spain, I found many people from LA feel uncomfortable even when they could pass as Spanish, while Spaniards don’t question the fact that they look different from the stereotypical image of Europeans and would probably be taken for Turks or Arabs because of their dark eyes, hair and skin tone (more commonly light olive, opposed to pink), which do stand out.

What I would like to see is perhaps an active appreciation of features, not necessarily based on culture. Most of the world looks different from this idealised beauty we see so much, yet many seem to struggle so much to achieve it. We live unhappy, subject to buying products, dyeing and styling our hair, adapting our clothes, all just to fit into a stereotype of beauty…

I can’t deny sometimes I can see a woman wearing your regular mass produced outfit and she looks just plain, perhaps even bad. And then you see the same person, or someone similar with clothes in colours that are really suited for her, a style that compliments her because it was created by people who know what looks better with that person’s hair colour, skin, facial features, height, and it takes your breath away. I believe some styles look better on different people, and I think it would help to see more examples in the media of people sporting them, just to introduce some variety, so that people aren’t ashamed of dressing differently to the boring standard. Same goes for hair… enough with the ombre, the blonde highlights, bobs, extensions, straightening, and so on. Why not rediscover something else (not us LHC people, I mean people who aren’t used to anything else). Maybe a couple accent braids look better, maybe black hair compliments your skin, maybe try more intense colours, an unusual shirt cut, buy shoes from an original shoe maker that really speak about who your are, (and your heritage if you want to), and so on.
I have never know that people dye their hair blonde for job interviews :( Probably since in my country, blonde is not a go-to color for job interviews :) But yes, I agree that natural feature should be embrace and be appreciate more. I realized that rediscover keeps my feeling about life stay fresh everytime I try new things :)

HopelssRomantic
March 23rd, 2018, 09:02 PM
Black hair is gorgeous! I've dyed my hair back before as well. Sometimes people just say things without thinking of how others might feel about them, don't listen!

Beeboo123
March 25th, 2018, 12:26 PM
I'm Vietnamese :D In my country, long black hair usually associtated with the old time because in the past, all Vietnamese girl would have really long hair.
There was a time I really believe in those article, assumed that's fashion and try to follow the most trending hairstyle :( But now I just skip it whenever I saw those with tilte like that.

Honestly I've never think that they would being so harsh about long hair and stuff. I dont thinh that they are being jealous or something, I've saw them have short hair for years, none of them would want to have long hair so I don't think that's jealous, just a little bit over reacted.

I think that next time I wouldn't let them go into my life too deep anymore, just enough so they didn't know anything about me, therefore, can't judging me too :D

I’m Asian too, and I’ve been told that I look like Sadako/pontianak/drowned ghost with my long black hair. I went to one of my classes (in college) in a white dress. People actually pointed and whispered amongst themselves and fake-gasped at my appearance. Terribly childish, but I flipped my hair over my face and BOO-ed them. No one bothered me about having long black hair after that. Still, I feel a lot of pressure to dye my hair because black hair is seen as boring and old-fashioned. =[ I try to remind myself that my hair is what it is, and if I dye, it would definitely look more dull and less healthy.

SeRe
March 25th, 2018, 12:43 PM
These people sound really immature. Maybe they are young and childish. I haven't come across anyone in their late teens/ 20s and above who talks like this.

(I've made a mental note to myself to teach my future kids to be kind.)

Everyone on this earth is God's/Nature's creation. And that's why no one can be ugly.

I don't know how old you are, but I would advise you to stay away from negative people.

Aredhel
March 25th, 2018, 12:54 PM
I'm half Chinese on my maternal side... my grandmother used to tell me how old fashioned my long hair was because her hair was long and black in her youth when she lived in China, but lately when I've seen her (she has dementia now), she often tells me how much she loves black hair and how much she wishes her hair was long and black again. And she's right, long black hair is beautiful. :)

Beckstar
March 27th, 2018, 11:45 AM
I used to dye my hair black when my husband and I first started dating. It was long. I cut it into a pixie and grew out my natural medium ash brown color. I didn't color it again for years. One time his mom comment that she missed my natural color. She thought the black was natural and I had dyed it brown. Not all people dislike black colored hair.