PDA

View Full Version : No trimming 2017!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

lapushka
October 1st, 2016, 08:03 AM
For this challenge, you need to trim at the latest January 1st 2017. No other trims are allowed during the calendar year for you to be part of this challenge.

If you want to no-trim for shorter periods of time during the year, then the "no-trimming club" is a better place for you:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132

Welcome, and "happy growing"!

Here's some easy guidelines for you:

You may maintain bangs.
You may not cut them in.
You may S&D
You may not trim.

These are the upcoming threads!

No-trimming 2018!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=143311
No-trimming 2019!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=144014

hayheadsbird
October 1st, 2016, 08:26 AM
I've managed no trim for at least 18 months so I'm in.
Question though - we can still s&d though?

ETA - never mind, I read the bottom of your post properly this time! 😂

missrandie
October 1st, 2016, 08:38 AM
I'll be in for this one! Not trimming has worked fantastically for me this year :)

ephemeri
October 1st, 2016, 08:52 AM
I'm in! I'm also in the no trimming for the second half of 2016 thread and I love it. I've made some excellent growth progress by not trimming and want to keep it going! ;)

Decoy24601
October 1st, 2016, 08:58 AM
I'm in! I haven't trimmed since June and I'll trim maybe 1" off on January 1st to even up my ends and get rid of some layers and damage, then I don't plan on trimming for the rest of 2017.

lapushka
October 1st, 2016, 08:59 AM
Yay, welcome you guys! Happy growing!

I'm not doing this myself, as I found my "happy length" = classic length, and will keep maintaining that length.

But good luck to everyone that's part of this challenge! :flower: :cheer:

Lize
October 1st, 2016, 09:07 AM
I'm in! I haven't trimmed since the end of June 2016 and I don't plan on trimming again until I hit waist. I should reach waist length some time in 2018 so this challenge is perfect for me.

missmelaniem
October 1st, 2016, 09:12 AM
I need to join. I want to join. I think I wont make it a year tho. The no trims 2016 was a bust for me. I had to get my ends more even... I just have a smidge of color left on my long (slightly below chin length) bangs... so with that maybe I will join and try to make it work since I can do bang trims. I just really want to get that remaining color off since thats where most of my silver is.. in the front.

Anyhooooo ok I just talked myself into it! I'm in! :)

lapushka
October 1st, 2016, 09:42 AM
Yay! You go girls! :D

Andthetalltrees
October 1st, 2016, 09:54 AM
The last time I cut my hair was back in March. It's doing perfectly okay and I don't see a need to trim anytime soon, So I suppose I'm in! I'm really hoping to be nearing waist by next year.

Saldana
October 1st, 2016, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure if I can qualify to take the pledge and join.....what I'm doing is periodic S/D (allowed), but also, about once every 3-4 months, I have DP1 snip "runners" from my hemline to keep it mostly together. We call it a microtrim, but it's not really even that...can I join?

animetor7
October 1st, 2016, 10:38 AM
I'll try this! I reserve the right to microtrim and drop out if my ends get too unhappy though. :)

lapushka
October 1st, 2016, 11:09 AM
I'm not sure if I can qualify to take the pledge and join.....what I'm doing is periodic S/D (allowed), but also, about once every 3-4 months, I have DP1 snip "runners" from my hemline to keep it mostly together. We call it a microtrim, but it's not really even that...can I join?

Sorry but no, a trim is a trim. I have to be strict about it, or I have to start allowing exception after exception. Microtrimming is not allowed either. Just S&D, that's as far as it goes. If you go all over your hemline snipping bits off, then no.

lapushka
October 1st, 2016, 11:10 AM
I'll try this! I reserve the right to microtrim and drop out if my ends get too unhappy though. :)

If you need to trim, you need to trim... that's what I did, and I haven't regretted it since. This challenge isn't for everyone, and isn't meant to be. ;)

Saldana
October 1st, 2016, 11:14 AM
Fair enough. :) OK......happy no trimming!

animetor7
October 1st, 2016, 11:31 AM
If you need to trim, you need to trim... that's what I did, and I haven't regretted it since. This challenge isn't for everyone, and isn't meant to be. ;)

Well, we'll see how I do. I'll do my last trim in late December and just S&D from then on. Hopefully I make it! :)

missmelaniem
October 1st, 2016, 11:43 AM
I'll do my last trim in late December

:scissors::scissors:

This is what I will be doing NYE at 12:59PM... checking my hair ends to make sure they're even :gabigrin:

lapushka
October 1st, 2016, 11:48 AM
Fair enough. :) OK......happy no trimming!

I'm really sorry. I'm cringing here, but I have to draw the line somewhere, and microtrimming, well, a trim's a trim... you know? I hope you don't mind? :flower:

eadwine
October 1st, 2016, 11:55 AM
:scissors::scissors:

This is what I will be doing NYE at 12:59PM... checking my hair ends to make sure they're even :gabigrin:

I really would make that 11:59PM ;)

I think I am in. I haven't had a cut in months, I don't even remember the last time.. do you Lapushka?

Anyways.. yeah.. the occasional dead end I will snip off if it is bad enough :lol: but other than that I don't intend to cut anything off.

missmelaniem
October 1st, 2016, 11:57 AM
lol oh man I cant believe I did that... yes 11:59PM :)

Kat-Rinnè Naido
October 1st, 2016, 12:01 PM
Thank you Lapushka for starting this thread. My last cut was on the 4th June 2016 and my hair ends are looking great. I can do with the extra hair length. I am definitely joining this group. Yay finally I get my first no trim for a year challenge

lapushka
October 1st, 2016, 12:19 PM
I really would make that 11:59PM ;)

I think I am in. I haven't had a cut in months, I don't even remember the last time.. do you Lapushka?

Anyways.. yeah.. the occasional dead end I will snip off if it is bad enough :lol: but other than that I don't intend to cut anything off.

Nope. Wow, it's been a long time for you hasn't it?

Thank you Lapushka for starting this thread. My last cut was on the 4th June 2016 and my hair ends are looking great. I can do with the extra hair length. I am definitely joining this group. Yay finally I get my first no trim for a year challenge

You're welcome! :)

eadwine
October 1st, 2016, 01:49 PM
I believe it was February that I went back to BSL, back at waist now and NO intention of trimming back again, despite a huge shed recently due tothe extreme stress that you know of. Only lasted a few days thank goodness so hopefully it won't show up as much in about 4 years from now ;)

Stub
October 1st, 2016, 01:56 PM
Pretty sure I can manage this. I buzzed my hair last in May 2012 I think (maybe a few months later) and hadn't touched it with any cutting implement until a few months ago. That time I used Feye's method and took off about 3" to get my ends even. I see no reason I'd have to trim again before 2018. :) I do S&D sometimes and never find anything to D, so, it should be easy for me. I should be almost at hip by the end of next year. Nice!

lapushka
October 1st, 2016, 02:42 PM
I believe it was February that I went back to BSL, back at waist now and NO intention of trimming back again, despite a huge shed recently due tothe extreme stress that you know of. Only lasted a few days thank goodness so hopefully it won't show up as much in about 4 years from now ;)

Oh wow, BSL to waist happened quickly! :D That's amazing! :D

jfg1987
October 1st, 2016, 02:42 PM
I want to try!

Been growing out a pixie since November 2014 and I'm probably done "even-ing" everything out at this point. My last trim which I did myself was in July 2016; I might trim again before the end of the year but I would like to see how much my hair actually grows without trimming it for a year.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 1st, 2016, 02:48 PM
I would love to attempt this but feel that my ends would object too much.... but happy growing to you all who can :D

Greenfire
October 1st, 2016, 03:35 PM
I'm definitely doing this again. 2016 with no trimming is insanely helpful for me to get over my aggressive microtrimming and even my S&D issues. Now that I can actually SEE that my hair will grow if I don't cut it, it's a lot easier to say, hey lady, back away from the scissors! I may do a trim on Jan1 to start things off a little straighter. (I have runners and it's not even) but even that, I'm not so sure of yet, we'll see how it looks then.

Pearly~91
October 1st, 2016, 04:05 PM
Haha, I wish I could do No Trimming next year! But that's definitely not going to happen. I'll finish out the challenge this year and then I'm out. Gonna micro trim next year and start getting rid of all the layers!

lapushka
October 1st, 2016, 04:11 PM
It's neat to hear of your growing or trimming plans for the upcoming year. Even though you might not be participating in this challenge, do share! :thumbsup:

littlestarface
October 1st, 2016, 04:19 PM
I'm in, I plan on being really lazy next year so this will fit in.

Shiranshoku
October 1st, 2016, 04:37 PM
I might be in, not sure yet. I do so like a blunt hemline...

vampyyri
October 1st, 2016, 05:40 PM
Well, I've been diligent about no trims since December of last year (hairdresser mistook 1/2" for 2" somehow???), so I might as wise hop on this challenge as well! I will hit two of my goals if I don't trim at all—so count me in!! :joy:

Silverbrumby
October 1st, 2016, 06:19 PM
I've managed 2016 without a trim but the last two inches of my hair feel stick like, dry. Should i trim or do protein?

mizukitty
October 1st, 2016, 07:02 PM
I'm in! Going to shape my hem in a soft U soon, s&d thoroughly, and then I should be ready for 2017! Glad we can still s&d thoughout though, otherwise I'd obsess over split ends :D

Ashenputtel
October 1st, 2016, 07:23 PM
I am definitely up for the challenge, I've been wanting to be at waist since forever but I always get my hair cut too much.
I will do to small trims to try to get rid of the bottom layer till january first and then grow my hair all year long.

Simsy
October 1st, 2016, 09:52 PM
I might give this another shot. I'll do a quick micro trim in December and see how long I make it. At this stage the mop will be spending most of next year in braids wrapped around my head for work so this should be interesting.

Platzhalter
October 2nd, 2016, 07:45 AM
Wait, there's already a thread for 2017?
Still trying to get to terminal length so count me in once again :)

lapushka
October 2nd, 2016, 08:30 AM
I've managed 2016 without a trim but the last two inches of my hair feel stick like, dry. Should i trim or do protein?

I'd try product first before a trim. Always.

queenbee1
October 2nd, 2016, 10:02 AM
Joining. Will probably get my hair cut from hip length to APL tomorrow. :p From 31" to 20". Then i plan to not trim for the whole of 2017. I'm so excited!! Fingers crossed ^-^

melesine
October 2nd, 2016, 10:10 AM
I'm in, I haven't trimmed since my major chop to collarbone October 2015 and I've made it to BSL since then. I'm hoping I can at least make it back to waist by the end on next year. So far my hair is looking great and my hemline is still thick.

QuietVixen
October 2nd, 2016, 12:08 PM
I'm joining this! I used to get my hair cut or trimmed only twice or once a year, so no trims shouldn't be that hard. I've been using SMT and pre-oil treatments and my hair has never been so healthy! I'm so excited for this challenge. If I wish really hard I may be able to reach halfway to BSL by the end of 2017. Or maybe even to BSL if I can have a miracle. I'm 3 inches to APL and 5 inches to half of BSL (counting the 3 inches to APL). So excited!

OhSuzi
October 2nd, 2016, 12:53 PM
I'm in. Giving hair dressers and scissors a wide berth for a year is the best way to get this pixie to grow out!

lapushka
October 2nd, 2016, 04:11 PM
Welcome everyone! :D :waving:

202_bh_rider
October 2nd, 2016, 05:25 PM
i think i'll try this, although i'm not quite sure how my ends will behave! as of now, i'm about 1/4 in above bsl dry (bsl is low for me) and haven't trimmed since june 30th (when i cut to apl). still not really any splits for me to destroy in s&d...hopefully it stays that way! if i can keep up with my current growth rate, maybe i can hit waist+ by the end of 2017! :) from then on, i'll grow to hip length and micro trim for a while to get rid of chemical damage. :)

Suguru
October 3rd, 2016, 04:21 AM
Sign me up! After 18 months of trimming out the pesky layers that result from shaving one's head I am so ready to start gaining some length.

morrigan*
October 3rd, 2016, 05:29 AM
I'm in, I'm also in no trim challenge for this year, but i was thinking of small trim before i start a new year, i will do it around new years but can be a day or two before or after it depending when i will have time.

My last trim was late december 2015.

lora410
October 3rd, 2016, 05:46 AM
I dont plan to trim. Haven't trimmed in over a yr and my ends look fine and dont care if my hemline is uneven.

Krytta
October 3rd, 2016, 06:45 AM
Oh i'd love to join :flower:
My last trim at a salon (i'm thinking it was my last) was 4/3/16, so depending on how my hemline will look in Dec i may trim 1/2 or 1 inch off.
Otherwise i'm looking forward to going a whole year without trimming :o
It may just mean i get to my Goal length of Classic next year... oh i hope so!!!

ladycaladium
October 3rd, 2016, 06:49 AM
I'm in. I might get one last trim in, but since I trimmed a few times the beginning of the year I've really seen a difference in my ends (less damage overall) and might not do it since my hair is happier now the damage is gone. I do have some splits though and the head/neck massage they give is kind of divine so an end of the year clean-up might be in order.

Decemberrose
October 8th, 2016, 04:08 PM
I'm in :p
Have not trimmed since mid january this year. Have gone from chin to a little past collarbone.
I will probably take off 1-2 cm on december 31th. I need to cut about 3-4 cm to have all virgin hair again, so close!! But I will wait it out one more year. I'm so sick of cutting back to chin all the time. I want to see some length now. Miss being a longhair.

triumphator!
October 8th, 2016, 04:45 PM
I will be joining in of course :o

gthlvrmx
October 8th, 2016, 07:08 PM
I'm in! Another year :)

Shepherdess
October 8th, 2016, 10:48 PM
It has been exactly two years since my last trim ( in October 2014 after the horrible shed), and I would love to join in on this thread, though part of me is tempted to do micro trims next year, since it is hard for me to find time to S&D, though probably won't since I want to know my true terminal length, but either way, not sure if I will commit just yet or not, but subscribing anyway! :)

lapushka
October 9th, 2016, 03:50 AM
Yeah, sure, *do* sub here. You can always change your mind later. I mean, it's not that strict. I am strict on what trimming is and those rules ;), but not on that!

Pacific
October 9th, 2016, 09:07 AM
I'm in. :) I had a micro trim in July after 1 year without scissors and I think now I can go 1,5 years without a trim.

ReadingRenee
October 10th, 2016, 07:37 AM
I have been planning to go back to no trimming because I trimmed a lot of thin ends this year and lost about 8 months of growth total. I also want to get out of almost BSL/BSL range because I feel like with trims I have been stuck here for a long time. I am definitely in! I wear my hair up almost all the time anyway so I can't imagine really needing to trim my ends. After all my trims I finally have the hemline I want so I should be able to just grow. yay! :)

triumphator!
October 10th, 2016, 07:42 AM
If my math is correct and I can successfully complete this challenge, I will make it back to TBL by the time this thread runs its course! :hifive:

Hypothesis
October 12th, 2016, 02:54 PM
I think I may join again. No trimming this year has definitely helped me grow longer locks and made me realize just how often I used to trim my hair. Obviously too much as this was the year I finally got to BSL. So count me in.

AmandaJane
October 12th, 2016, 08:24 PM
I'm in for this challenge. I'll probably trim an inch or so sometime between Christmas and New Year's. If I manage all of 2017 with no trims then I should be just 2 inches away from classic by the end. I'm venturing into uncharted territory at this point since my hair is currently the longest it's ever been. I wish everyone luck!

Winterwitch
October 13th, 2016, 02:24 PM
I'm going to join. Now with the bulk of my hair past apl and the longest chunks at bsl, I'm going to try and even things out a bit for the last time this December. Then no more trimming!

Cheniaa
October 13th, 2016, 02:43 PM
I haven't trimmed for about a year now, and it went very well. I just hope my ends remain unsplit and healthy for 2017 too! So count me in.

lapushka
October 13th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Welcome, you guys! :)

Mavi
October 13th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Count me in! I'm still going strong with the whole "Don't trim 2016" plan :)

irodaryne
October 13th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Oooo, I am so in for this one! I'm also still going strong with the 2016 no trim challenge.

alimc
October 14th, 2016, 02:46 AM
Yes! Delighted to see this thread!
I need to sneak past shoulder length as quickly as I can in 2017..... Let's grow!

Garnetgem
October 15th, 2016, 08:34 AM
I think i can hold out for another year should be easy for me as the longest i went with no trims is 15 years...my hair grew just passed my knees oh why did i have to cut it!

Greenfire
October 15th, 2016, 09:06 AM
I think i can hold out for another year should be easy for me as the longest i went with no trims is 15 years...my hair grew just passed my knees oh why did i have to cut it!

Well, you know past knees is possible on you anyway! So that's great if that's your goals again! You'll get there!

Decoy24601
October 15th, 2016, 09:54 PM
I'm out of this one actually :). I don't think I will be ready to join no trim challenges until I get my layers and thinned ends grown out. My ends just get too grabby after a few months to ignore. Goodluck everyone!

Wusel
October 15th, 2016, 11:51 PM
ME. Of course. There's nothing to trim since it doesn't grow...

truepeacenik
October 16th, 2016, 12:02 AM
I plan on a microtrim Jan. 1 (assuming I'll be in no state to do so at mignight), 2017.
The past 10 months in a challenge got me through some potentially sabotaging moments, so yes, I'm in for official year two.

x3leesa
October 16th, 2016, 02:31 AM
Count me in! Last time I had any type of scissors to my hair was in July 2015 (not counting my failed S&D today... I need to build more patience to chop all those splits off! My goodness I spent like 30 mins combing over a 3 inch section before realizing this is going to take me hours to go through all of my hair lol!) so I think I can do it! Let's do this ladies! :cheer:

ETA: By the way... don't want to threadjack so if anyone has some pointers on a successful S&D technique can you point me to the right thread or PM me? Thanks!

ETA: Oops meant July 2015 not 16 lol :doh:

lapushka
October 16th, 2016, 03:44 AM
Welcome everyone! :)

Eastbound&Down
October 21st, 2016, 03:50 PM
Checking in! I calculated it out, and I can be back at BSL where I started after The Disaster by the time I separate from the military (Sep 2018) if I just don't touch it!

talrosee
October 21st, 2016, 04:03 PM
Doing this!

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 21st, 2016, 06:08 PM
Well, I guess over the next three months ill trim and even up my hem line as much as possible, but I really want to join this!
I am a Fine hair, so I not sure how my hair will handle it, but I guess it wouldnt hurt to try it just once, see how 6 months goes and if it doesnt work then -- oh well!

cailinbee
October 21st, 2016, 09:52 PM
I soooo want to try and participate in this, but I flunked the six-month challenge after three and a half months. I wonder if I should challenge myself anyway; I stand a change of making multiple milestones if I just resist the chop!

hannabiss
October 22nd, 2016, 07:29 AM
I'm so in for 2017. I made it over till august or September this year then flunked. Then I had a mid25 year old life crisis. And I bleached my hair..then put a semi permanent dye on it. So needless to say...my hairs now damaged amazingly it doesn't feel terrible at all! Bit I think 2017 I will also try and keep it up for a year so I'm gonna join that challenge as well. I've already made it just past BSL. Hoping it reach waist Christmas 2017.

Also I'd like to morn the death of my natural hair color. It was brown and once it grew past 3 inches it magically turned a light coppery/golden color...and I totally ruined that. So now to grow it all back out.

Complexity
October 22nd, 2016, 07:55 AM
I'm tentatively in - It's really going to depend on whether or not I end up getting good scissors from Santa this year :p

Lize
October 22nd, 2016, 12:20 PM
I am excited for this challenge to start. :) I don't think I have ever gone a whole year with no trimming. Now I am going at least one and a half. (I haven't decided if I will start trimming after this challenge or if I am going to wait until I get to waist. I will see how it looks I guess.) My last trim was June 30th. It will be very interesting to see how much my hair will actually grow in a year with no trims.

I don't think my biggest challenge will be split ends. I don't get many splits or white dots, and the ones I get are not on the hemline but rather on the shorter finest hairs around my face and the hairline. I still have to S&D to get rid of those. My biggest challenge will be my layers and that because of them my ends will probably thin out a great deal through the year. I like a blunt cut hemline on myself so I can see that might be a problem for my motivation, but I will try to see it as it is better to successively trim to achieve that hemline after I gain some real length than to have a major chop now and go back in length. I do want length and to be able to do updos. That's why I am going to stick with this challenge. It also very good to have somewhere to go for support during weak moments. :)

morrigan*
October 22nd, 2016, 01:59 PM
I changed my mind, my hair fairytails just too much in one year for my liking so i will rather go with three or four small trims a year to trim those racer hairs :D

Dark40
November 2nd, 2016, 08:29 AM
I'm in! I will not trim in 2017. No trimming has really worked for me. I have trimmed my hair back during the end of October. Only the tips of my ends, and I'm not going to trim anymore until January 2018. Hopefully by March of 2017 I will be waist length.

Aidin
November 2nd, 2016, 08:55 PM
I am so happy for this thread as I am itching to trim but I know I shouldn't! Let it growwwww....:violin:

My last trim was in March 2016 and since then I had my hair highlighted and dealt with some breakage. So I'm planning to trim in December and than follow 2017 without trims, only the occasional S&D.

WillOTree
November 2nd, 2016, 09:37 PM
I'm in! I have about 4 inches of weird feathery-ness on the back of my head, and layers that I'd like to get rid of, but if I can hold off for a year I can chop half, maybe even it all off without choping up above shoulder. I might get a small trim in December so I don't get the itch to cut right away.

w0nderland
November 3rd, 2016, 08:23 AM
I missed out on last years one, definitely going for this!

vampyyri
November 4th, 2016, 06:11 PM
I may be having second thoughts about this, if I reach CL in September like I believe I will, I may want to trim a bit and maintain here to get a more blunt hemline... ah well, we shall see. Still in at least until then :lol:

EliseMarie
November 4th, 2016, 08:34 PM
I think I might do this!

Ophidian
November 4th, 2016, 08:44 PM
I'm in! I've been 7 months already and I'd like to keep going without trims. So far so good!

Lize
November 5th, 2016, 05:07 AM
I'm going to take a photo of my hair when this challenge starts and then take one to compare in the end. It's going to be very interesting to see how much my hair will actually grow in a whole year with no trims. I have really enjoyed seeing the "before and after" pics in the other no trimming threads. Who's with me? :D

ReadingRenee
November 5th, 2016, 10:31 AM
I'm going to take a photo of my hair when this challenge starts and then take one to compare in the end. It's going to be very interesting to see how much my hair will actually grow in a whole year with no trims. I have really enjoyed seeing the "before and after" pics in the other no trimming threads. Who's with me? :D

I am! great idea! I once went for a whole year with no trims but I didn't take any before and after pictures. I do remember my hair seemed to grow a lot. Im excited. :)

omgitssarah
November 10th, 2016, 09:25 PM
I'm in! I'm going strong in the 2016 challenge, but planning to trim once before starting this one

missmelaniem
November 10th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I'm so excited for this challenge! By this time next year I should have at least 6 extra inches of length wooo hoo so so excited!!

Vanilla Mint
November 11th, 2016, 02:52 AM
I'm in! I wanted to be in this year, but I made a couple of color changes and, well...you know how that goes. I'm dark for good, now, and ready for some major growth!

w0nderland
November 11th, 2016, 08:40 AM
I'm going to need to learn how to s&d me thinks!

lulikrueger
November 11th, 2016, 09:25 AM
I'm in, but I don't think it'll last :/
I love the feeling of freshly cut ends + I'm trying to get rid of some old layers... But I think if I do get through most of the year with S&D only it'll be TBL before next december, so I'll give it a chance!
I can kind of predict myself cutting it back to waist when my undercut reaches it, though.

LittleTea
November 11th, 2016, 12:11 PM
I'm in! I'm going to trim a half inch prior to starting this since (eventually) I want to get rid of my layers and bleach damage. I guess I need to buy some scissors! :flower: My longest layer is currently at the base of the nape of my neck, and the shortest layer is halfway of my ear. I'm considering growing out my fringe as well to add more bulk to my fine n' thin hair.

:cheers:

wantlonghair
November 11th, 2016, 03:12 PM
I'm definitely in for this challenge. I just trimmed my hair a few weeks ago to even it out so I would lie to see what happens when I just let it grow. this should be interesting with my curly frizzy and older hair, it is dark brown with silver. 15" now. age 61.

LaísB
November 11th, 2016, 03:37 PM
I'm in!! I have never been a year without any trim but I want to try... besides it will be a good chance for me to perfect my S&D skills (since these will hopefully be the only cuts I'll do in my hair in 2017). Perharps if I'm lucky and my hair grows fast and without trims I may even get to MBL by the end of next year :pray:

Bea18
November 11th, 2016, 03:41 PM
This is a great idea! I'll try to stick to it, this year I almost got my one year mark, but had to trim to get it healthy, but now I know better ways to do it, such as S&D, so I'll try to do a no-trim 2017 for sure!
(Hopefully I get waist lenght next year with it)

spitfire511
November 11th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Oh heavens... I NEED to do this - just chopped from MBL (between BSL and waist - is that still the right designation?) to APL because of splits... SO - :eek: I'm in!

I love to S&D but will stay away from my lovely hairdresser in 2017!

LadyCelestina
November 12th, 2016, 03:05 AM
Will you guys talk me out if I get the urge to cut/trim? :P I'm pretty good at not trimming my hair too often, but I do tend to impulse trim a lot of hair at once.

genuinewicked
November 13th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Sounds great! I'll trim a bit in December and then just let it grow! This has me so excited for the new year. :)

hannabiss
November 14th, 2016, 06:00 AM
Definitely excited to begin. I want to take before and afters as well. Last year I really didnt.

LaísB
November 14th, 2016, 07:30 AM
I did a bit of math today and estimated a growth for the next year if I don't trim my hair. I know for sure that I grow 1-2 cm every month (maybe a little more in certain months or less) so what is estimated and expected for a normal growth in a year is around 12 cm. Estimating I grow 1.5 cm every month I should get 18 cm of growth in 2017, which (if I do reach APL streched by the new years eve) would get me to MBL since I have a relativelly short torso. So yeah, really good expectations for this challenge, now all I need to do is learn hw to S&D...

arwenofgondor
November 14th, 2016, 07:35 AM
I'm in! I've been eyeing joining this site since I was a teen. I figure I might as well join on a challenge! I've never gone more than 6 months without trimming and I'm already 5 months without color (which hasn't happened in over 5 years). Going to get a slight trim in early December to get the remainder of my bleached ends off. I'm currently between CBL and APL and I'm hoping to get to close to MBL (with the end goal being waist)!! Wishful thinking but my hair has always grown relatively quick so we shall see! Excited to see everyones progress. I started my before pictures now and I'm going to do a monthly progress as well to monitor if I hit any plateaus.

Annalouise
November 14th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Will you guys talk me out if I get the urge to cut/trim? :P I'm pretty good at not trimming my hair too often, but I do tend to impulse trim a lot of hair at once.

My advice to you would be to remove the scissors from the house. :) I can relate to that urge. I used to get it a lot because my ends are thin and so I felt bad about them and would have the urge to cut them off.
If I was to join this challenge, I think I would also have to remove my scissors from my house. Seriously, I'm not kidding.

lapushka
November 14th, 2016, 08:27 AM
I'm so excited you guys are all joining. I remember I did this a few years ago, awesome experience as it got me from TBL to classic! :)

(I'm maintaining classic now.)

Strands
November 14th, 2016, 08:44 AM
I AM IN. This is my first ever no-trim challenge, and I think I can do it.

I usually get the urge to do so when it gets hot out, like June/July, but not this year.

I CAN'T WAIT! :D Hopefully I see great hair growth by the end of next year!

Ellethwyn
November 14th, 2016, 08:55 AM
I'm in! After taking measurements yesterday, I now know I am 6 inches from classic and am so excited to think that I could be at classic next December. Even though my hemline is a bit thin on one side, I have decided not to trim any further. Instead, I am doing more to protect it. Once I am at classic, I will maintain there for awhile, to thicken up my hemline.

Tahquil
November 14th, 2016, 11:01 AM
I'm in, this sounds like a great challenge and I hope that I can resist the urge to trim and see how long my hair can grow in a year.

LadyCelestina
November 14th, 2016, 01:14 PM
My advice to you would be to remove the scissors from the house. :) I can relate to that urge. I used to get it a lot because my ends are thin and so I felt bad about them and would have the urge to cut them off.
If I was to join this challenge, I think I would also have to remove my scissors from my house. Seriously, I'm not kidding.
Ok, hand in the scissors ! :lol:

That would be quite inconvenient for me as I'm a very bad lhcer and use sharp kitchen scissors :D And yes mine also get thin and it looks weird since the bulk of my hair is thick, only the last inch of curly taper looks like tentacles.

Reyn127
November 14th, 2016, 02:15 PM
I think I'll give this challenge a try! I'm going to trim today (or within the next few weeks if it just doesn't happen today) so I can get rid of some straggly ends and I won't have so much to S&D over the next year.

Vallena
November 14th, 2016, 02:42 PM
I'm thinking about hopping on this train. I failed at it this year due to cutting henna out of my hair, but it's all gone now and I'm thinking I won't need to trim next year. Hmm...

Annalouise
November 14th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Ok, hand in the scissors ! :lol:

That would be quite inconvenient for me as I'm a very bad lhcer and use sharp kitchen scissors :D And yes mine also get thin and it looks weird since the bulk of my hair is thick, only the last inch of curly taper looks like tentacles.

Oooh, that is bad, using kitchen scissors. :patrol: I think what I'll do is have my husband hide my hair scissors in his man cave... that way I will never find them.:D
I am curious to see a before and after picture of one year with no trims. Make sure everyone, that you take a picture at the beginning of the year.

yamsha23
November 14th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Innnnn!!! :cool: will take pictures.

Annalouise
November 14th, 2016, 02:49 PM
I'm in, this sounds like a great challenge and I hope that I can resist the urge to trim and see how long my hair can grow in a year.

You might have to hide the scissors for a year like me.:)

Andthetalltrees
November 14th, 2016, 03:15 PM
I've honestly lost my hair scissors, That's one way to make sure I won't be tempted!

XiaoBaiTu
November 14th, 2016, 03:42 PM
I'm joining! I actually haven't trimmed my hair for about 3 years, so I may do one slight trim right beforehand. The taper is getting to be a bit extreme.

LadyCelestina
November 15th, 2016, 06:04 AM
Oooh, that is bad, using kitchen scissors. :patrol: I think what I'll do is have my husband hide my hair scissors in his man cave... that way I will never find them.:D
I am curious to see a before and after picture of one year with no trims. Make sure everyone, that you take a picture at the beginning of the year.

yay pictures! :D
I'm thinking that instead of hiding scissors, I am going to bribe myself by paying a visit to the hairdresser at the end of 2017 year for a trim.
I've only been to the hairdresser once in my life, mostly because I was afraid that they will try to comb my hair. Now I have a tangle teezer which isn't quite damage free but does the job and I guess I can tell them to just use that... The only thing I'm afraid of is that they will cut off the whole year of growth xD.

Is that a bad idea?

LaísB
November 15th, 2016, 07:15 AM
I'm thinking that instead of hiding scissors, I am going to bribe myself by paying a visit to the hairdresser at the end of 2017 year for a trim.
I've only been to the hairdresser once in my life, mostly because I was afraid that they will try to comb my hair. Now I have a tangle teezer which isn't quite damage free but does the job and I guess I can tell them to just use that... The only thing I'm afraid of is that they will cut off the whole year of growth xD.

Is that a bad idea?

I plan on doing that too, a trip on the 31st of December 2017 just to trim a bif off the ends if needed. Luckily for me my hairdresser does the opposite of many, she always cuts way less than I ask for ( :cheer:) which is great since I always cut and regret.last time I asked for a CBL hair and since she knows my shrinkage well she cut it at almost APL to make it looks CBL without it actually being (if she had actually cut at CBL I'd look like I have a bob).

Annalouise
November 15th, 2016, 08:09 AM
I've honestly lost my hair scissors, That's one way to make sure I won't be tempted!

Yay! Then you won't be tempted. :)

I'm joining! I actually haven't trimmed my hair for about 3 years, so I may do one slight trim right beforehand. The taper is getting to be a bit extreme.

You won't be alone, I have extreme taper as well. :)

Is that a bad idea?

Oh the hair combing out at the salon... :tmi: Last time I was there, years ago I remember the comb at the top of the head and the stylist trying to RAM it through the length. Ouch, that is definitely cringe worthy stuff.

It's up to you. There are stylists who are sensitive to long hair and will start at the bottom and comb it through gently. But you just have to make sure you get one of the good ones. I wish every salon had a long hair specialist. They should, because long hairs are hiding out in their homes too afraid of the post wash comb through. There is money to be made at salons if they would just cater to the long hairs as well as the short hairs...oh well, I rant...:rant:

LadyCelestina
November 15th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Oh the hair combing out at the salon... :tmi: Last time I was there, years ago I remember the comb at the top of the head and the stylist trying to RAM it through the length. Ouch, that is definitely cringe worthy stuff.

It's up to you. There are stylists who are sensitive to long hair and will start at the bottom and comb it through gently. But you just have to make sure you get one of the good ones. I wish every salon had a long hair specialist. They should, because long hairs are hiding out in their homes too afraid of the post wash comb through. There is money to be made at salons if they would just cater to the long hairs as well as the short hairs...oh well, I rant...:rant:
Actually I'm thinking of going to a barber (it's the correct word? hairdresser for men basically), here they are typically male and I think I will trust a man not to cut too much more than I trust a woman... especially if it's a conservative small town (like where I live) barber xD. I just want a simple blunt cut at the very ends, so nothing fancy. I just hope they won't think it's weird, but maybe if I ask nicely and tell them the reason why I prefer a barber to cut my hair, they'll be flattered and do it :D

Annalouise
November 15th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Actually I'm thinking of going to a barber (it's the correct word? hairdresser for men basically), here they are typically male and I think I will trust a man not to cut too much more than I trust a woman... especially if it's a conservative small town (like where I live) barber xD. I just want a simple blunt cut at the very ends, so nothing fancy. I just hope they won't think it's weird, but maybe if I ask nicely and tell them the reason why I prefer a barber to cut my hair, they'll be flattered and do it :D

Well, you have 3a waist hair? YIKES. That is pretty technical if you ask me. :shrug: I don't think a barber is the right place for you to go but don't worry about my opinion, I'm just sayin...:p

LadyCelestina
November 15th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Well, you have 3a waist hair? YIKES. That is pretty technical if you ask me. :shrug: I don't think a barber is the right place for you to go but don't worry about my opinion, I'm just sayin...:p

I would be glad to hear your opinion, as I said I've never really been to...er...barber,hairdresser, basically anybody who cuts hair as a job :D So what would you do? :)

Annalouise
November 15th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I would be glad to hear your opinion, as I said I've never really been to...er...barber,hairdresser, basically anybody who cuts hair as a job :D So what would you do? :)

Well, ideally you should go to a long hair salon. I don't suppose you live in NYC? lol. Probably not. There are a few long hair salons. google it and see if there is one in your area. Try that first. If that fails, then I would call various salons and explain to them that you have waist length curly hair and you only want x amount trimmed off and you want it combed out VERY CAREFULLY and see if you can talk to someone on the phone who can reassure you that they will take good care of you.
Another suggestion is to go to a hair cutting school. They have one in every city and even some small towns. And tell the instructor what you want done, and that you would like them to comb it out after washing it very carefully because you are concerned about breakage with rough handling. My guess is the instructor will give you a student to work with you and she will instruct the student. I've been to hair schools for trims before and usually because the girls are in training they are extra careful and slow. You just have to make sure you communicate really well and make sure they understand your request. You can even ask them to repeat back to you what you want done. And show them exactly how much you want taken off.:)

cassidy_2711
November 15th, 2016, 10:14 AM
I'm in. Trying to get to waist length.

LadyCelestina
November 15th, 2016, 11:10 AM
Well, ideally you should go to a long hair salon. I don't suppose you live in NYC? lol. Probably not. There are a few long hair salons. google it and see if there is one in your area. Try that first. If that fails, then I would call various salons and explain to them that you have waist length curly hair and you only want x amount trimmed off and you want it combed out VERY CAREFULLY and see if you can talk to someone on the phone who can reassure you that they will take good care of you.
Another suggestion is to go to a hair cutting school. They have one in every city and even some small towns. And tell the instructor what you want done, and that you would like them to comb it out after washing it very carefully because you are concerned about breakage with rough handling. My guess is the instructor will give you a student to work with you and she will instruct the student. I've been to hair schools for trims before and usually because the girls are in training they are extra careful and slow. You just have to make sure you communicate really well and make sure they understand your request. You can even ask them to repeat back to you what you want done. And show them exactly how much you want taken off.:)

That would be awesome if there was a long hair salon in Slovakia (: but too bad there isn't. Though thanks for reminding me that on slovak/czech hair forums, there is a thread going on about long hair friendly hairdressers, I must check it out.

I know it's stupid since it's just a trim not a super complicated cut, but still...I'm horribly sensitive about people handling my hair, since I had the typical curly child experience of nasty remarks about my hair or people forcing me to let them comb it or whatever, then being mad at me and also when I was older people telling me to straighten it or dye it. That's one of the reasons why I also don't trust the students- they are generally teenagers since hairdresser schools are basically a type of high school here, and well... teenagers and hair that is somehow 'different' is never a good combination. (eta- curly hair is not so common here and especially not curly hair that's cared for like curly hair)

/ off topic- I am studying to be a teacher and I'm quite worried that the kids will do something horrible to my hair, especially if I keep it long. :( I must sound like the most paranoid person ever :D
But thank you for the step-by-step on how to get across exactly what I want from them, will do! :)

höpönasu
November 15th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Hmm hmm. I'd like to trim but not in a six months at least, not sure if I can go another year without trimming. And dusting just seems so pointless when not maintaining. 2018 has to be the maintaining year for sure though! So I guess I'm in then!

stefferweffir
November 16th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Yes I'm in on this! I just chopped most of my bleached damage off so I was planning on doing this anyway, so excited!

lapushka
November 16th, 2016, 03:28 PM
That would be awesome if there was a long hair salon in Slovakia (: but too bad there isn't. Though thanks for reminding me that on slovak/czech hair forums, there is a thread going on about long hair friendly hairdressers, I must check it out.

I know it's stupid since it's just a trim not a super complicated cut, but still...I'm horribly sensitive about people handling my hair, since I had the typical curly child experience of nasty remarks about my hair or people forcing me to let them comb it or whatever, then being mad at me and also when I was older people telling me to straighten it or dye it. That's one of the reasons why I also don't trust the students- they are generally teenagers since hairdresser schools are basically a type of high school here, and well... teenagers and hair that is somehow 'different' is never a good combination. (eta- curly hair is not so common here and especially not curly hair that's cared for like curly hair)

/ off topic- I am studying to be a teacher and I'm quite worried that the kids will do something horrible to my hair, especially if I keep it long. :( I must sound like the most paranoid person ever :D
But thank you for the step-by-step on how to get across exactly what I want from them, will do! :)

Why not try Feye's method? Try and do it yourself. You can hardly mess this up if you just cut 1 cm.

LadyCelestina
November 17th, 2016, 02:35 AM
Why not try Feye's method? Try and do it yourself. You can hardly mess this up if you just cut 1 cm.

Yes I mentioned it on the page before that trim my hair myself and have been doing so for a couple years now :) , but my hemline always comes out less than perfect. The curls hide it a bit, but not always since you know how hair curls differently day to day. I just want someone to cut it straight for me... that being said, I might just ask mom :D

My sister once asked me to trim her hair and I cut off too much and cut it crooked! I was so sorry :(

JohannaDutch
November 18th, 2016, 04:06 AM
I'm in, little scared but I will give it 100%.
Really curious though...to see how much lenght I can grow! I'll also will not dye or bleache my hair.

wo
November 18th, 2016, 06:10 AM
I'm in! (This is my first post!) My last trim was in July 2015, the final cut to shape pixie cut grow out. I'm now closing in on APL, when stretched. This is actually the longest hair I've EVER had, and to my surprise and frustration, it's soooooo much easier than all the pixie cuts and bobs that I thought were low maintenance! And I love the way it looks more and more as it grows. I don't know if this is the right way to add pics. If they don't work I'll figure it out. Funny how I have no curls at all, at such short lengths, and then it curls tighter and tighter as it grows.
Current length 16 months no trimming
http://i.imgur.com/MEK0Etb.jpg

Annalouise
November 18th, 2016, 06:22 AM
Wo ~ Congratulations on the growth! Your hair grows fast I would say. And what gorgeous curls you have! Beautiful. Your hair looks to be very healthy. :)
Your pixie cut looked cute on you. You look a bit like Mia Farrow with a pixie cut. (You probably don't know who that is as you are young). :p

lapushka
November 18th, 2016, 06:26 AM
I'm in! (This is my first post!) My last trim was in July 2015, the final cut to shape pixie cut grow out. I'm now closing in on APL, when stretched. This is actually the longest hair I've EVER had, and to my surprise and frustration, it's soooooo much easier than all the pixie cuts and bobs that I thought were low maintenance! And I love the way it looks more and more as it grows. I don't know if this is the right way to add pics. If they don't work I'll figure it out. Funny how I have no curls at all, at such short lengths, and then it curls tighter and tighter as it grows.
Pixie cut June 2014
http://i.imgur.com/jkaF3ig.jpg
Final trim July 2015
http://i.imgur.com/mKNTRnk.jpg
Current length 16 months no trimming
http://i.imgur.com/1ifqTqR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MEK0Etb.jpg

You've got gorgeous curls and your hair grew quite a bit already, congrats. :) I would say that's most certainly 3a (at the very least). Welcome to the challenge. And to the site! :D

wo
November 18th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Wo ~ Congratulations on the growth! Your hair grows fast I would say. And what gorgeous curls you have! Beautiful. Your hair looks to be very healthy. :)
Your pixie cut looked cute on you. You look a bit like Mia Farrow with a pixie cut. (You probably don't know who that is as you are young). :p

You've got gorgeous curls and your hair grew quite a bit already, congrats. :) I would say that's most certainly 3a (at the very least). Welcome to the challenge. And to the site! :D

Thank you both! I do know who Mia Farrow is, but only because of her hair. :) I spent so long focused on getting to bob length after the pixie, that I've barely thought beyond that, and can't believe it will be between bsl and waist (stretched) at the end of this challenge! Whoo hoo! Technically I'm fulfilling 'no trimming 2016' too, but I wasn't here yet to join that.

MsPharaohMoan
November 18th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Wow I was thinking, why is this thread taking off already? It's only--oh wow it's a month and a half away. :thud: Good luck to anyone doing the challenge and have fun! You got this!

Seija
November 22nd, 2016, 05:20 AM
Eh, I went a few months already. what's another year? It will be interesting to see the results :rolling:

Kat-Rinnè Naido
November 22nd, 2016, 10:39 AM
Wow I was thinking, why is this thread taking off already? It's only--oh wow it's a month and a half away. :thud: Good luck to anyone doing the challenge and have fun! You got this!

Thank you for your support.

Zindell
November 24th, 2016, 01:46 AM
Edit 2017-01-06:

Since I just finished the 6 Month No Trimming Challenge // June 2016 - January 2017 and don't feel ready to trim yet, I'll jump om the No-trimming 2017 - first half only challenge instead.

Who knows, perhaps I wo't feel the need to trim this summer either, and then I'll come poke around in this thread as a late follower. :o

lapushka
November 24th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Thank you both! I do know who Mia Farrow is, but only because of her hair. :) I spent so long focused on getting to bob length after the pixie, that I've barely thought beyond that, and can't believe it will be between bsl and waist (stretched) at the end of this challenge! Whoo hoo! Technically I'm fulfilling 'no trimming 2016' too, but I wasn't here yet to join that.

You absolutely qualify if you followed the 2016 rules, here or not! So: congrats. Remember trimming is on January 1st 2017, if you want to trim in between challenges. ;)

Avital88
November 25th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Wish I could join but I need to thicken up my hemline

Minny
November 27th, 2016, 06:10 PM
I am joining even though I will be going through some awkward stages.

divinedobbie
November 28th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Well I've gone 6 months without trimming very soon. I can't decide if I should trim at the end of this year and do a no trim 2017 or if I should wait until waist (another 1.5 to 2 inches) and maintain there for the rest of the year. Hmm decisions decisions

ANoteToSelf
November 29th, 2016, 01:24 AM
Count me in! I've grown out most of my awkward length hairs(bangs and some wonky layers) and my hair has been loving the lack of trims. I'm hoping this commitment will mean I'll get to see more length. I usually love my monthly dustings, but I don't think I need them after my big chop. My hair has been abnormally thick and healthy!

Annalouise
November 29th, 2016, 06:02 AM
Well I've gone 6 months without trimming very soon. I can't decide if I should trim at the end of this year and do a no trim 2017 or if I should wait until waist (another 1.5 to 2 inches) and maintain there for the rest of the year. Hmm decisions decisions

I vote for waiting until you get to waist is that is your goal. Your hair looks beautiful.:)

lapushka
November 29th, 2016, 07:49 AM
I think I am joining myself, now that I went back to hip, so... we'll see. ;) :D

DarkChocolate
November 29th, 2016, 08:03 AM
I am in. I am a part of the no trim from June 2016 to December 2016 club:) Yay fairytale ends!!!

Cass
November 29th, 2016, 10:02 AM
I'll be joining :) My longest bit of hair is almost touching the little hole above your bum (is that tailbone length?) And my current goal is classic although it will probably change if i reach there. I haven't had a trim since mid June and haven't dyed since March so i'm looking forward to this challenge :) Happy no trimming guys :cheer:

Lize
November 29th, 2016, 11:11 AM
I'll be joining :) My longest bit of hair is almost touching the little hole above your bum (is that tailbone length?) And my current goal is classic although it will probably change if i reach there. I haven't had a trim since mid June and haven't dyed since March so i'm looking forward to this challenge :) Happy no trimming guys :cheer:

Tailbone is the very last bone on your spine, the coccyx. Usually somewhere in the middle of the bum. :)

Cass
November 29th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Tailbone is the very last bone on your spine, the coccyx. Usually somewhere in the middle of the bum. :)

Oh ok thankyou :) quite a fair bit away then but i'm happy classing as hip :cloud9:

Aidin
November 29th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Oh ok thankyou :) quite a fair bit away then but i'm happy classing as hip :cloud9:

I would say you're BCL (I love mini-milestones eheh)

Cass
November 30th, 2016, 01:50 PM
I would say you're BCL (I love mini-milestones eheh)

Oooh ok haha i'll have to start taking some pictures :) On to tailbone length and classic here i come :cheer:

cailinbee
November 30th, 2016, 04:12 PM
I wasn't sure whether I would be able to do a challenge like this but I just did a photo lineup and calculation of the growth I've gotten this year -- had I not trimmed at all, I might be at BSL now. I apparently get 8-9 inches of growth per year. For once I want to see it all!

So I'm in!!!! I'm going to need coping mechanisms for when my ends begin to displease me. I get scissor-happy since they're bleached. Telling myself I can do this...

Hinza
November 30th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I really, really, really want to come with this also next year! I need to think/plane some chances to my routines with ends first. I think I need also maintain about 2 cm New Year time then. Yes, Ill try. :xmas: And I read there more!:xmas:

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 30th, 2016, 05:32 PM
OK -- so I changed my mind for a second time.

I am in, i think I will do one final genuine cut by the hair salon at the end of December, because I havent seen the hair dresser in 6 months and have been self trimming.
Either that or I will self trim a solid 1/2 and then no trims 2017 here I come. I might just do it myself and save myself cash.

The last time I did this, my hair was bleached and it did not grow, at all. But its been 3 years and I have grown most of it out so I think its possible this time.

My only concern is that I see little L shaped ends in the front bang area. Not really my length but the sides where I probably get friction from everyday (glasses) and the pillow. I cant help it. I want to hit waist already and I can get that in 10 months ... but I do not know if my hair will actually grow as much as I hope... I want waist!!

HairPlease
November 30th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Okay, okay, I give in. I'll do it! I made 2015 a no trimming year, so I know the drill. I can make a big chop in 2018 and be much closer to full natural hair, or I might decide to keep the length.

I'll trim a couple inches around the 28th-1st. :thumbsup:

JadeTigress
December 1st, 2016, 06:33 AM
I'm going to give this a shot. Even with trims I'll be at waist by next Christmas, but I want it asap. And I've got all these weird layers now thanks to my last "trim" that I need gone, so I want to stay away from the hair dresser as much as I can so they can grow out. Then I'll probably either maintain at waist to get rid of the layers or micro trim until they're gone.

FullofGrace
December 1st, 2016, 06:07 PM
I'm also going to join the no trim 2017. As a newbie here this will be great way to kick off 2017. I need to measure my hair and check for hair typing. I have not really done either yet. Can someone let me know if when you are measuring length do you hold the measuring tape at the hair line on your forehead? Is there a tutorial for it somewhere? Also need a tutorial for S&D. I don't know if I need that but I will keep an eye on it.

LaísB
December 1st, 2016, 06:35 PM
I'm also going to join the no trim 2017. As a newbie here this will be great way to kick off 2017. I need to measure my hair and check for hair typing. I have not really done either yet. Can someone let me know if when you are measuring length do you hold the measuring tape at the hair line on your forehead? Is there a tutorial for it somewhere? Also need a tutorial for S&D. I don't know if I need that but I will keep an eye on it.

I ususally measure from the hairline at the front and going to the back. As for and S&D tutorial I am looking for one as well...

Welcome!

JohannaDutch
December 2nd, 2016, 02:53 AM
Oh it's December, the last month of this year! Getting really close to the challenge, really excited!

LaísB
December 2nd, 2016, 04:18 AM
I realised that if I complete the challenge then I will ave stayed without trims for 1 year and three months since my last cut was October 8th, that will be a long time, but I hope I can manage it, by doing so by the end of 2017 I will be very close to my final goal of MBL. One of the biggest problems that make me cut my hair is knots on the ends, but since I am working on keeping my hair healthy and up most of the time I don't think I will have that problem. I only need to know more about S&D since I know that even being super careful with my hair I will need it at some point... Any tips on how to S&D?

curlycrown
December 2nd, 2016, 04:53 AM
I plan to stay away from the scissors in 2017. I have already trimmed so I'm in.

kinnyuu
December 2nd, 2016, 09:21 AM
Depending on the status of my hair late December... I will SEE.... it would be cool to see what goes on. Would I wear up and in braid throughout the year instead of down?

Chocowalnut
December 4th, 2016, 02:09 AM
I am joining this challenge :) and hoping for a minimum of bsl by the end of 2017.

catmashie
December 4th, 2016, 03:08 AM
I'm joining! My last trim was in August so in the end of 2017 I should be trim-free for 1 year and 4 months. I will be maintaining my bangs for sometime but I might start growing them out too. :)

LizzG
December 4th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Ji, I'm new here, I haven't cut my hair in almost 2 years, I'm at MBL and my goal is TBL in 1 or 2 years.

Avital88
December 4th, 2016, 11:39 AM
I might join depending on my hair health, had a 1 inch trim in August and 0.25 inch in early November, so it should be fine.
No trimming would get me at fingertip length by the end of 2017.

see_turtle
December 4th, 2016, 02:02 PM
I'm joining...should get to 40.5" by 2018.

Eas693
December 4th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Alright my hair is finally all one length from growing out a pixie. I'm cutrently almost chin lengeth so let's do it! I'm 100% in hopefully this is the motivation I need to do more pictures

cailinbee
December 5th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Shoot, now I'm totally unsure. It's starting to dawn on me that I'm actually really content with my APL hair right now...I do want longer hair, but I'm losing that urgency that I want it asap. Maybe I should maintain, or do a larger chop to get more bleach out and THEN no-trim 2017. Hmmmmm.

lapushka
December 5th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Shoot, now I'm totally unsure. It's starting to dawn on me that I'm actually really content with my APL hair right now...I do want longer hair, but I'm losing that urgency that I want it asap. Maybe I should maintain, or do a larger chop to get more bleach out and THEN no-trim 2017. Hmmmmm.

There's still about a month to go. ;)

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 5th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Im afraid because I still get breakage.. :( Dont know if i should try this still. Afraid!

likelikepenny
December 5th, 2016, 05:49 PM
@lapushka Is it possible you can make a six month no trimming thread for those of us who may not be able to go the whole year?

ExpectoPatronum
December 5th, 2016, 08:52 PM
I may be down for this this year! I've been going almost a year between trims. I went 8 months, then 10 months between my last and most recent cut. What's two more months to make it a full year? I got to waist in 10 months last time!

almost alice
December 5th, 2016, 08:59 PM
I'm in! I haven't had a trim in over two years at this point, so going a whole year will be easy. This also works out perfectly since I'm debating getting a trim and my bangs cut back in at the end of this month, so I'll be able to start fresh in 2017.

Erinliz
December 5th, 2016, 09:10 PM
New here! I'm in. Currently shoulder length after growing out for three years from super short.

pili
December 5th, 2016, 10:54 PM
I'm in! I chopped off the damage back in February, so this will make it 22 months with no cuts. I have corse hair, so this should be doable for me.

Reyn127
December 5th, 2016, 11:00 PM
I'm super excited to put myself to this challenge (at least I think it will be a challenge for me haha), after doing my last trim for a while now. I took off about half an inch a week ago, and I've begun to S&D for the first few times, which I think will actually be really good for me to do in 2017. Normally I'll get split ends and get all worked up about them until I eventually trim off an inch or two, which usually happens about twice a year. I really wonder if I'll gain a lot more length than I'm used to seeing? I cut off about 4 inches this year alone, which sounds like is quite a bit more than I really wanted to lose, even though I felt like my hair really needed it at the time. This was before I knew about S&D, of course. But I think no trimming for a year will help give me a way better perspective on when my hair ACTUALLY needs to all be cut in a uniform way.

lapushka
December 6th, 2016, 03:59 AM
@lapushka Is it possible you can make a six month no trimming thread for those of us who may not be able to go the whole year?

I'll do that! :D Right now!

Edit: I made 2 "halves". One for the 1st half of the year, one for the second half of the year. I hope my dates are correct... If not, I'm sure you guys will correct me. ;)

And like the first post says, if you want to go shorter periods, there's the no-trimming club thread for you. But these two "halves" seemed worth it to get threads for!

likelikepenny
December 6th, 2016, 06:09 AM
Thank you :D

lapushka
December 6th, 2016, 06:58 AM
Thank you :D

You're welcome! :D

inpatient
December 6th, 2016, 08:00 AM
I'm in!
A whole year of no trimming is exactly what I need right now. I shaved about half of my head (at the back) and it's really short (doesn't touch my shoulders) at the front, so I don't think that hair would be damaged since it has not been on my head for so long. I just started my hair growing journey so I don't know a lot of stuff, but I'm sure that will be good for me

LadyCelestina
December 12th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Something positive in these gloomy times of exams stress - I did a straight length check while in the shower and my hair is a good chunk past hip now! My growth rate is about 1,5 cm per month so I guess that by the end of the year, I might be just brushing tailbone when wet, which means I will be past hip dry in December 2017! Yay!

cgirl
December 12th, 2016, 07:32 PM
I was not planning on trimming anyway, so count me in too! :toast:

Garnetgem
December 12th, 2016, 09:35 PM
I think the longer you go with no trimming the easier it gets the urges to trim kind of passes as you see length gain..

likelikepenny
December 13th, 2016, 06:00 AM
Is anyone else planning on using catnip to keep splits at bay during this challenge? I'm not sure if I can go the whole year as of yet, but if catnip works for me as it has for others, I'm hopeful that I can make it through with reasonably healthy ends.

pili
December 13th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Is anyone else planning on using catnip to keep splits at bay during this challenge? I'm not sure if I can go the whole year as of yet, but if catnip works for me as it has for others, I'm hopeful that I can make it through with reasonably healthy ends.

I'm planning on learning some herbal hair recipes, so catnip will be in there at some point.

likelikepenny
December 14th, 2016, 08:05 AM
I'm planning on learning some herbal hair recipes, so catnip will be in there at some point.

Hopefully you can keep us updated? I'm anxious to try it for this 6 month/year stretch to keep my ends healthy.

pili
December 14th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Hopefully you can keep us updated? I'm anxious to try it for this 6 month/year stretch to keep my ends healthy.

Will do! I'm documenting anything I do on my LHC blog.

kittenmuffins
December 14th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Hellllooooo all. I`ve been a mega creeper for years and I`ve finally decided to take part in something on here :) I "went crazy"(as I like to call it) this Summer and cut my hair from hip to above shoulders and it is SLOWLY growing out again. It's at that weird phase just beyond my shoulders and I am desperate for growth(of course!). I went for a trim earlier this month and she totally cut off more than I wanted, so I cursed trims and vowed to not trim my hair until October, by why not until the end of 2017? Why not!! Looking forward to completing this challenge with y'all. No trims!

pili
December 14th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Hellllooooo all. I`ve been a mega creeper for years and I`ve finally decided to take part in something on here :) I "went crazy"(as I like to call it) this Summer and cut my hair from hip to above shoulders and it is SLOWLY growing out again. It's at that weird phase just beyond my shoulders and I am desperate for growth(of course!). I went for a trim earlier this month and she totally cut off more than I wanted, so I cursed trims and vowed to not trim my hair until October, by why not until the end of 2017? Why not!! Looking forward to completing this challenge with y'all. No trims!

Welcome, kittenmuffins!

lapushka
December 14th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Welcome to all who is new! :D :cheer:

Lize
December 14th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Only a couple of weeks left until this challenge starts. I haven't trimmed since the end of June. I have almost completed the six month challenge and I am proud of myself. I have had trimming urges a couple of times but I have managed to reason with myself and get out of that state of mind. Right now I have no urges to trim and will continue to this challenge without any in between trim. I'm exited for this to start for some reason. :D

likelikepenny
December 14th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Right now I have no urges to trim

How do you all get over the urge to trim? I know this stretch is going to be filled with urges to reach for my scissors.

pili
December 14th, 2016, 02:21 PM
How do you all get over the urge to trim? I know this stretch is going to be filled with urges to reach for my scissors.

I knit and spin and play with other hair fibers I can cut to my heart's content. :p

likelikepenny
December 14th, 2016, 02:50 PM
I knit and spin and play with other hair fibers I can cut to my heart's content. :p

I used to crochet, maybe I should pick that up again :D

cgirl
December 14th, 2016, 02:58 PM

I've been drinking catnip in my tea as part of my inside-out approach to growing better hair. I have about an inch of real hair and the rest is chemically straightened so my theory is that if new hair grows while there is catnip in my system, then if/when I cut off the last of the chemically straightened hair, then the hair that's left will be less likely to split. I've been cooking a lot with coconut oil for the same reason.

pili
December 14th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I used to crochet, maybe I should pick that up again :D

You totally should. The old saying idle hands are the devil's playground totally applies here.

FullofGrace
December 14th, 2016, 04:14 PM
I keep trying to learn crochet and I'm horrible at it. Might be a good time to try to again. I always want to buy "all the yarn" and I have too much for someone who doesn't know what to do with it.

pili
December 14th, 2016, 06:00 PM
I keep trying to learn crochet and I'm horrible at it. Might be a good time to try to again. I always want to buy "all the yarn" and I have too much for someone who doesn't know what to do with it.

You could also give knitting a try, too. I'm horrible at crochet, regardless of the many attempts I have made to learn.

HairPlease
December 15th, 2016, 04:51 AM
I hand stitch dolls and stuffed toys regularly. It's relaxing and creative.

likelikepenny
December 15th, 2016, 04:59 AM
You could also give knitting a try, too. I'm horrible at crochet, regardless of the many attempts I have made to learn.

I've always wanted to learn to knit but i always thought it was harder than crocheting. However I have a friend that does both and she's a genius lol. Perhaps I should ask her to show me a few things. :lol:

FullofGrace
December 15th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I think knitting looks harder too. I've actually tried both and I'm equally bad a both. Crafty people make this stuff look easy. Cranking out awesome looking stuff while telling me how easy it is and I can just never get it.

likelikepenny
December 15th, 2016, 06:24 PM
I think knitting looks harder too. I've actually tried both and I'm equally bad a both. Crafty people make this stuff look easy. Cranking out awesome looking stuff while telling me how easy it is and I can just never get it.

Apparently we're in the same boat.

pili
December 15th, 2016, 06:40 PM
I've always wanted to learn to knit but i always thought it was harder than crocheting. However I have a friend that does both and she's a genius lol. Perhaps I should ask her to show me a few things. :lol:

Apparently we're in the same boat.

I never said it was easy. Starting out it's definitely hard. I said it would be a distraction!

hannabiss
December 15th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Just did my last trim till 2018. Did the method where you part the hair and pull it forward and trim. I did take a full inch off but im still at BSL mainly I added back in face framing &bangs to the front. Definitely need those.

LongCurlyTress
December 15th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Ok.. I will do my best to keep this commitment! Going to hide my scissors!! :) I need to regrow those 5 inches that I just chopped off in November. Thanks for letting me join in the fun here! :knit:

ETA I am caught inbetween this thread and the not cutting for 6 months until June, 2017 thread. My goal is January, 2018, but it all depends on how my hair feels about that decision. Honestly, if it tangles/breaks too much, and clarifying doesn't help that, then I will need to trim a half inch. Health before length. My thoughts are that, what good is it if only a few strands are reaching TBL again... and the rest of my length doesn't look thick and full without alot of frizz due to brokenhairs and damage. Fingers crossed that I can make it to January, 2018!!

Lize
December 18th, 2016, 04:13 AM

I do it by reasoning with myself and reminding myself what my goals are. I also think it's good to keep occupied with other things and try not to think too much about the hair. I try to put it up and forget about it. I often get trimming urges when I am relaxing at home without much to do. :lol: When I am busy I forget about it.

For me also washing my hair or doing a treatment so it feels/looks a bit better might help.

DoomPerDiem
December 18th, 2016, 08:07 AM
I'd love to do this! The ends of my hair get so bad though. Ahh...

likelikepenny
December 18th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Well, I have just finished my last trim until at least June 2017 and I also ordered my catnip which will be here on Wednesday! I'm really excited to reinvent my hair routine this year. Wish me luck :eek:

lapushka
December 18th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Well, I have just finished my last trim until at least June 2017 and I also ordered my catnip which will be here on Wednesday! I'm really excited to reinvent my hair routine this year. Wish me luck :eek:

Good luck! :D :thumbsup:

desu
December 18th, 2016, 07:07 PM
I might join if I get better at S&D.

rhaena
December 18th, 2016, 07:29 PM
I think im going to join! Im hoping to get back to somewhere between bsl and waist this coming year (realistically at least :P) which is the longest my hair has ever been and its been a long time. This is going to be the year of fighting off the urge to chop though so hopefully i can make it!!

Lize
December 21st, 2016, 04:00 AM
I won't join this challenge after all. I thought about it and realized that if I do this I will risk ending up cutting off more hair than I would if I trim continuously. I already have urges to chop back to collarbone and "start over". That's why after I complete the six months no trim challenge I will start doing small trims when I feel like I need to. Sorry guys and good luck to all of you!

LadyCelestina
December 22nd, 2016, 03:36 AM
^ Lize, the bun in your avatar is gorgeous!

I'm not going to do a trim at the end of this year. My hair feels fine. The majority of it has no splits and I can S&D the nape hairs which have some from rubbing against scarves and such.
I really "lucked" out - the hair at the nape other people have short grows long for me and it's very tightly curly, I'd even say 3c, if moisturized/gelled properly, though most of the time it escapes the leave in and dries a straightish mess. So I get tangles and damage and what not.

Lize
December 22nd, 2016, 10:59 AM
^ Lize, the bun in your avatar is gorgeous!

Thank you! It's a nautilus from when my hair was waist length. :)

Fericera
December 23rd, 2016, 12:02 PM
I thought I had joined already, but I realized I posted in the other "half year" no trim 2017 thread. I think I'll hop on this thread too, as I plan on going for the whole year. I successfully completed 2014 and 2015 with no trims, but failed in 2016. Now I'm ready for another no trim challenge and I think I can make it through! I recently hit waist length and am hoping to get to hip (fingers crossed) by December 2017.

Is anyone doing starting pictures yet? I know there are still a few days left, but I'm excited so here's mine! :D I really haven't been on these forums much lately and I miss them. I think this challenge is just what I need. "Benign neglect" has been my haircare routine for the past six months or so, but last night I did a deep condition and my hair seemed quite appreciative.
http://i64.tinypic.com/23haq8k.jpg

So what are everyone's goals? Are you all hoping to hit specific milestones this year, or just in it for the challenge?

Shepherdess
December 23rd, 2016, 01:12 PM
I won't join this challenge after all. I thought about it and realized that if I do this I will risk ending up cutting off more hair than I would if I trim continuously. I already have urges to chop back to collarbone and "start over". That's why after I complete the six months no trim challenge I will start doing small trims when I feel like I need to. Sorry guys and good luck to all of you!
Yeah, I was thinking of joining this challenge too earlier, and subscribed, though I am planning on stepping out of it too (unless I somehow change my mind later). I am planning to do something similar, and join the microtrimming club again. :) Best wishes to you in this coming year!

And good luck everyone who is planning to do this challenge! :)

Elfa
December 23rd, 2016, 02:24 PM
I'm gonna try this! Now I finally got rid of all the bleach and layers, after 2 years of chopping, I think I can let it grow without trims and get the most of it in terms of length. Let's see :p

missrandie
December 23rd, 2016, 02:34 PM
So what are everyone's goals? Are you all hoping to hit specific milestones this year, or just in it for the challenge?

I'm just in it to grow. With as short coupled as I am, maybe I'll make hip? I'll most likely make waist at the very least, especially with this growth spurt I've had.

I'm also curious to see how long my hair can go without trims. It has held up very well, with the last trim in May 2015. I could probably count on my fingers how many splits I've snipped since then.

I was tempted to trim my wild racer hairs, the ones that are an inch longer than their respective layer, but I don't have the heart to hinder their progress lol.

cailinbee
December 23rd, 2016, 04:27 PM
I'm going for BSL by the end of the year and there's a small chance I'll reach waist, but I just made that less likely by a trim to pepare for this long stretch! So I'll just say BSL+ is my goal.

Simsy
December 24th, 2016, 12:00 AM
I'm thinking of taking a length photo when I trim next Saturday so I have a starting point and can actually see the growth.

When I started last year's challenge, I could feel hip when I tipped my head back in the shower. While I haven't been terribly careful with my hair over the last year, I did manage waist almost to tb. Tipped my head back this morning in the shower and realised I could feel classic. :happydance: So classic should be achievable by mid-winter if last year is any indication.

Would anyone recommend taking regular, monthly/seasonal photos to watch progress, or is it more awesome to take a couple to bookend the year and see just how much you gained?

Elfa
December 24th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Simsy I take monthly photos, you can see the whole year collage in my albums now. I think it's fun and it gives me some small milestones to be happy about :)

Elfa
December 24th, 2016, 05:53 AM

I'm hoping to be really close to BSL by the end of next year :)
And I'm craving for length progress, this year was dedicated to chopping dyed hair, so it was the same length the whole year, I just can't stand SL anymore :boohoo: I don't wanna loose a single cm of hair this next year!

pili
December 24th, 2016, 09:27 AM
I'm thinking of taking a length photo when I trim next Saturday so I have a starting point and can actually see the growth.

When I started last year's challenge, I could feel hip when I tipped my head back in the shower. While I haven't been terribly careful with my hair over the last year, I did manage waist almost to tb. Tipped my head back this morning in the shower and realised I could feel classic. :happydance: So classic should be achievable by mid-winter if last year is any indication.

Would anyone recommend taking regular, monthly/seasonal photos to watch progress, or is it more awesome to take a couple to bookend the year and see just how much you gained?
I know somewhere there is a 2017 monthly photo project thread. I haven't decided if I'm joining it yet. Curls are tricky to photograph.

Simsy
December 24th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Simsy I take monthly photos, you can see the whole year collage in my albums now. I think it's fun and it gives me some small milestones to be happy about :)

That's a good point. Though, I can see myself missing photos, mostly because of work. I might just go 2-4 photos throughout the year, maybe post as I hit certain milestones stretched or dry. The joys of curls, I get to achieve every length twice.

I know somewhere there is a 2017 monthly photo project thread. I haven't decided if I'm joining it yet. Curls are tricky to photograph.

Amen to that. :beerchug:

Alissalocks
December 24th, 2016, 10:28 PM
I'm soooooo tempted to join... So. Very. Tempted! I did the no trim challenge for June 16-New Years, and I did end up micro trimming at the beginning of December because my uneven growth and see through ends got to me.

But since then it's been better, and I'm really trying to accept my taper and just allow for growth with the notion that a stronger hemline is something I can work on ~eventually~.

And then I got out the tape measure and added the 6" I would gain if my growth continues as it has thus far, and if I didn't cut for 2017. Where would I be? Hip! I'd be hip! In just one year?! Sooooooo tempting!!! :hmm:

Strands
December 24th, 2016, 11:01 PM
I am still in. BUT I AM FIGHTING THE URGE TO CUT. It is not even logical. My logical mind says my hairline looks great right now, that I cannot afford to go do it, and also that I want to grow this down to waist by next year, but my hair abusing tendencies are like... CUT IT OFF 6 INCHES OMG... Losing my mind here. I think it is the holidays getting to me. :hatchet:

Simsy
December 25th, 2016, 12:40 AM
I am still in. BUT I AM FIGHTING THE URGE TO CUT. It is not even logical. My logical mind says my hairline looks great right now, that I cannot afford to go do it, and also that I want to grow this down to waist by next year, but my hair abusing tendencies are like... CUT IT OFF 6 INCHES OMG... Losing my mind here. I think it is the holidays getting to me. :hatchet:

Benign neglect will be your friend. Sweep it into an elegant undo, tuck the ends away; out of sight, out of mind. I'm pretty sure that's how I made it from about bsl+ to waist without losing my mind.

pili
December 25th, 2016, 09:11 AM
That's a good point. Though, I can see myself missing photos, mostly because of work. I might just go 2-4 photos throughout the year, maybe post as I hit certain milestones stretched or dry. The joys of curls, I get to achieve every length twice.

Amen to that. :beerchug:
That sounds about right.

LadyCelestina
December 25th, 2016, 10:05 AM

Stop the perfectionism, your hair won't be any healthier if you cut off 6 inches of healthy hair, just shorter and you don't want that, you want waist by next year! :D Plus you'd have to get the scissors and prepare the floors and comb hair and make sure it's even and all that is soo much work :D

Elfa
December 25th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Benign neglect will be your friend. Sweep it into an elegant undo, tuck the ends away; out of sight, out of mind. I'm pretty sure that's how I made it from about bsl+ to waist without losing my mind.

This will be my mantra in 2017

turtlelover
December 25th, 2016, 10:56 AM

Put your hair UP for the next few weeks and forget about it. Seriously, when I get in those moods, that is the only way to cope!

jfg1987
December 28th, 2016, 08:48 AM

Honestly I'm feeling those feels, especially now that my hair is a bunch of weird lengths from a couple of massive s&d sessions. Hair sticks are helping me cope...

No joke, keeping it up all the time is the only way I can deal.

Three more days until the end of the year!! Going to do one last ~1" trim before then...

Epie
December 28th, 2016, 10:05 AM
I'm in. My last full blown hair cut was April 2016. Let the challenge begin!

hayheadsbird
December 28th, 2016, 10:16 AM
I'm still in!
Will get a length shot before the 1st for comparison later in the year.

lapushka
December 28th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Stop the perfectionism, your hair won't be any healthier if you cut off 6 inches of healthy hair, just shorter and you don't want that, you want waist by next year! :D Plus you'd have to get the scissors and prepare the floors and comb hair and make sure it's even and all that is soo much work :D

Exactly this! Cutting it off on impulse is never a "good thing".

wanaberapunzel
December 29th, 2016, 07:03 AM
I would like to join :) The last time I trimmed I cut off 2 inches. It would be best if I not do it this year.

Greenfire
December 29th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Seriously hating my scissors. I decided to trim a couple days early as I had already been more than a year without, and it was convenient, but I just can't be trusted with scissors.

I changed my hemline to a U, so in cutting off the tip of the V, I lost a lot more length all over than expected. It's 4 inches shorter than it was yesterday, so I'm starting over. I will have gained 2.5 inches in the last year's challenge, and am back at just past BSL now from waist. The hair on the sides of my head was almost at waist as well, but now at BSL. I don't know if this year will help much, I feel so down today over this I'm either never going to cut again until Classic, or this is likely where I'll just be stuck.

There is no perfect. There's always a little more to trim to make it perfect, but it never is and this is where I have issues, cause I see the "just a little more" but I don't see the rest. Even in this photo I can see that there's hair needing to be trimmed on the left cause I didn't part it right, it belongs and is perfect on the hemline on the right, but now that it's on the left I'm itching to cut it.

So no trim club? I guess it's the only place I belong here. I probably won't trim at all now for the next several years, maybe when it hits classic I'll have grown out of my cutting issue. That should take me 4 years. Here's this year's starting pic:

http://i.imgur.com/J4CYIWA.jpg

lapushka
December 29th, 2016, 10:59 AM
I think it looks pretty much even!!! I think your vision is a little off, maybe you're being way too perfectionist about it, but that's my opinion. I think it looks fine. Hair is never 100% even. So welcome to this challenge. We'll keep you "honest". ;) :p

When my mom trimmed my hair last, I also got the left side a little longer than the right, but sometimes it falls differently and it's not too long - it all kind of depends.

Jo Ann
December 29th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I'm in (again! :p )

Things I Learned This Year ONLY Because I Was Paying Attention:

1.) Better to set a hair length goal shorter rather than longer. I was SO hoping for BCL, but only made WL. Next year's goal is BCL, which is only about 4" away--longer would be nicer, though :)

2.) Hair growth is NOT at a constant rate. Some months, I had almost NO hair growth, others, the growth rate was 1" or more. (Another reason to make a hair growth goal closer to one's hair length rather than based on wishful thinking ;) )

3.) Hair care routines help a lot--but experimentation is allowed (like a different oil or shampoo)

4.) Patience, Patience, PATIENCE!!

5.) Light coloured shirts are GREAT for showing off one's length--unless you're a light blonde :p

6.) Because I have a tendency to go overboard (overzealous, if you will) with scissors, S&D only what I see the FIRST time--I can always get the splits/fairy knots the next time. Put another way, do NOT obsess with "getting it correct" the first time

7.) Fairy ends are IN!! ;)

Jo Ann
December 29th, 2016, 01:07 PM
...There is no perfect. There's always a little more to trim to make it perfect, but it never is and this is where I have issues, cause I see the "just a little more" but I don't see the rest. Even in this photo I can see that there's hair needing to be trimmed on the left cause I didn't part it right, it belongs and is perfect on the hemline on the right, but now that it's on the left I'm itching to cut it...

Greenfire, you did great on reshaping your hemline!

likelikepenny
December 29th, 2016, 04:03 PM
I'm in (again! :p )

Things I Learned This Year ONLY Because I Was Paying Attention:

1.) Better to set a hair length goal shorter rather than longer. I was SO hoping for BCL, but only made WL. Next year's goal is BCL, which is only about 4" away--longer would be nicer, though :)

2.) Hair growth is NOT at a constant rate. Some months, I had almost NO hair growth, others, the growth rate was 1" or more. (Another reason to make a hair growth goal closer to one's hair length rather than based on wishful thinking ;) )

3.) Hair care routines help a lot--but experimentation is allowed (like a different oil or shampoo)

4.) Patience, Patience, PATIENCE!!

5.) Light coloured shirts are GREAT for showing off one's length--unless you're a light blonde :p

6.) Because I have a tendency to go overboard (overzealous, if you will) with scissors, S&D only what I see the FIRST time--I can always get the splits/fairy knots the next time. Put another way, do NOT obsess with "getting it correct" the first time

7.) Fairy ends are IN!! ;)

Great advice :D

luvlonghair75
December 29th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Easy peasy for me! I haven't trimmed in 2 years! :-O

LadyCelestina
December 30th, 2016, 02:17 AM
Bumping this up! :D The new year being the time of trims, I do get an urge to trim a little bit too, just to have a fresh start. But I think that this mentality is what leads me to do unnecessary trims (i.e. finding reasons to trim besides hair health/hemline corrections), so I will not! :D

lapushka
December 30th, 2016, 06:00 AM
I think my hair was cut pretty much "big time", back to hip from classic, and I feel a tad relieved that I don't have to think about trimming for a long long time (trimming is such a nuisance, even just every 4 months, but it gets repetitive quickly). I think this next year is going to be pretty relaxed for me, since I hit my big milestone (classic), kept my hair there for a year, then cut back to hip. Hip is my limit. Beyond that I have to be prepared for short hair, because it's the point at which I can start to do buns. So, yeah. That. It was "lucky" in a sense that my mom didn't cut beyond that point as I wanted a "huge chunk off". She just eyeballed it as well. Phew.

I'm looking forward to it, it's going to be low maintenance for me.

hayheadsbird
December 30th, 2016, 12:47 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25685&d=1483126620

length shot from today!

lapushka
December 30th, 2016, 01:37 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25685&d=1483126620

length shot from today!

Awesome; pretty & BSL. Very nice starting point, if you ask me! :D

Brittpit
December 30th, 2016, 02:13 PM
I'm in too! I have never not cut my hair for longer then 3 months so atleast I'll have a personal record really fast :)