PDA

View Full Version : Finger Combing for a month/few months/year challenge!

Pages : [1] 2

vampyyri
September 1st, 2016, 07:48 AM
Much in the same spirit as the Wear your hair up challenge, I wanted to start a thread for finger combing!

I was inspired by Vanilla's Finger combing only in August 2016 challenge, which can be found here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139108). I personally completed the month challenge :graduate:, and came with the idea to have this be an ongoing thing (you guys asked, and you shall receive!)

This thread is for everyone, not just those who completed the initial challenge, so feel free to join!

Now for the "rules":

No brushes or wide tooth combs for whichever amount of time you desire
Post here to check in whenever you see fit so everyone knows how far you have come, with which day/week/month/year(?!) you are on!

Exceptions to the "rules":

If you have bangs that can only be tamed/shaped with a brush, it's totally understandable and it won't "disqualify" you. Bangs are such a small portion of hair, this is just to ensure that the lengths are being finger combed
If you come across significant tangles that can only be handled with a brush, don't sacrifice your hair for the sake of this challenge
If you need to wean yourself off of your brushes/combs and interchange their usage with finger combing, that's fine! You can always come here for support in your transition!
If you stretch washes and need to detangle with a brush/comb on wash day out of necessity only, then you are still eligible to join. As long as you are majority finger-combing you are still good to go. Come here to report on your finger detangling days and let us know when you need to use your heavy-duty detangling method. When logging your days, simply start the count again after those days (example: days 1-6 finger detangling, skip the tally on wash day, days 7-12, skip etc.)

The purpose of this challenge: To overcome the dependance on brushes and combs, and the mechanical damage that comes with over-doing their usage. Finger detangling is great for getting more intimate with your hair (as strange as that sounds!) to really feel what's going on with it.

Who's with me?? :cheer::deal: I'm going to try for a year!

RebekahE
September 1st, 2016, 07:53 AM
I'm going to start with a week. The first week it will be fingercomb first then run a comb through (to wean myself, I hope that is okay) and after that if I like it I will go to finger combing only.

vampyyri
September 1st, 2016, 07:55 AM
I'm going to start with a week. The first week it will be fingercomb first then run a comb through (to wean myself, I hope that is okay) and after that if I like it I will go to finger combing only.

Weaning is totally fine! No worries :flower: in fact, I will add that to the OP

lapushka
September 1st, 2016, 08:05 AM
What if you have a "system" that you finger detangle during the week, but comb/brush right before and after a wash? I suppose that disqualifies me, no?

vampyyri
September 1st, 2016, 08:20 AM
What if you have a "system" that you finger detangle during the week, but comb/brush right before and after a wash? I suppose that disqualifies me, no?

I just made an exception that I think will work!

If you stretch washes and need to detangle with a brush/comb on wash day out of necessity only, then you are still eligible to join. As long as you are majority finger-combing you are still good to go. Come here to report on your finger detangling days and let us know when you need to use your heavy-duty detangling method. When logging your days, simply start the count again after those days (example: days 1-6 finger detangling, skip the tally on wash day, days 7-12, skip etc.)

I really need to get a mod to take out the "only" in the thread title :lol:

Stepo_NiNha
September 1st, 2016, 08:27 AM
I'm in! By now, I wanna complete one month without combs touching my hair (I don't have brushes).

I've been finger combing my hair since 25th Aug.

I'm wearing my hair up in a bun for this month after I detangle it with my fingers and I don't see any benefit from combs since my hair is all protected :)

lapushka
September 1st, 2016, 08:35 AM
I just made an exception that I think will work!

Yeah, I was a tad confused by that. I guess I can stick to my weekly finger detangling. It works for me. :) Thanks!!!

vampyyri
September 1st, 2016, 08:38 AM
I'm in! By now, I wanna complete one month without combs touching my hair (I don't have brushes).

I've been finger combing my hair since 25th Aug.

I'm wearing my hair up in a bun for this month after I detangle it with my fingers and I don't see any benefit from combs since my hair is all protected :)

Woo! Welcome fellow double-challenger! :cheer: I'm looking forward to hearing how it all goes for you! :cheers:

Yeah, I was a tad confused by that. I guess I can stick to my weekly finger detangling. It works for me. :) Thanks!!!

Yay! Glad to have you on board! :cheer: be sure to let us know how it's going on here! :D

parkmikii
September 1st, 2016, 08:40 AM
I don't comb at all for a week and only run a wide toothed comb through my hair before the wash, just like Lapushka. So I am in as well :D

Stepo_NiNha
September 1st, 2016, 08:41 AM
Woo! Welcome fellow double-challenger! :cheer: I'm looking forward to hearing how it all goes for you! :cheers:

Yay! Glad to have you on board! :cheer: be sure to let us know how it's going on here! :D

Thanks! I'll keep you posted! :cheer:

vampyyri
September 1st, 2016, 08:50 AM
I don't comb at all for a week and only run a wide toothed comb through my hair before the wash, just like Lapushka. So I am in as well :D

Welcome aboard! :happydance:

I'll start, continuing from the August challenge:

Day 31: Done!
Day 32: Just washed my bangs, finger combed the rest of my hair and threw it into a LWB!

vampyyri
September 1st, 2016, 09:51 AM
By magic, the thread title has been changed to omit the "only"! :magic:

(Thanks Chromis!)

lapushka
September 1st, 2016, 12:36 PM

I will. It has worked for me for a while, and I like it. I don't rake my fingers through like the teeth of a comb, I just separate strands, so it's a different method of "finger detangling". I separate the hair into two, then each section into three, and "smooth" the hair to get the sheds out. Don't know if I can describe it better than that. I do this Tuesday through Saturday. Monday nothing happens after hair comes out of my bun as I don't have shed hair (not so close to washing, I don't). So yeah... :) And Sunday it's comb + TT pre-wash and comb-only post-wash.

:cheer: Yay!

Anje
September 1st, 2016, 07:31 PM
I really need to get a mod to take out the "only" in the thread title :lol:
That's easy enough. :magic:

Edit:

By magic, the thread title has been changed to omit the "only"! :magic:

(Thanks Chromis!)

HA! And Chromis already got to it!

Vanilla
September 1st, 2016, 07:45 PM
Does using a dainty detangler count? The tine spacing is similar to my fingers, but it doesn't add additional oil to my hair.

I found my scalp/length got oily much more quickly using finger detangling only. I think finger only detangling will probably work better for me once winter comes.

Stepo_NiNha
September 2nd, 2016, 06:07 AM
I usually alternate buns and braids. Ocasionally I wear my hair loose but I want to minimize damage at the most, so wearing my hair loose it's not my first option.

Day 1: I finger combed my hair and bunned it. Late at night: I washed my hair (my classic routine: S&C) It's what works best for me:). I let it loose air drying.

Day 2: Freshly washed hair early in the morning!

What I did:
- 3 or 4 drops of my coney leave-in serum in the ends;
- I finger combed the whole length;
- I made a bun.

morrigan*
September 2nd, 2016, 06:16 AM
I will try that, I did it for one summer and my waves looked really great. I did often comb it during wash. I will try without first and then see how it will go.

RebekahE
September 2nd, 2016, 06:33 AM
Day 1: (Sep 1st) Finger combed then ran a comb through it.

vampyyri
September 2nd, 2016, 07:36 AM
Does using a dainty detangler count? The tine spacing is similar to my fingers, but it doesn't add additional oil to my hair.

I found my scalp/length got oily much more quickly using finger detangling only. I think finger only detangling will probably work better for me once winter comes.

I'm not sure, it's kind of a grey area... I'm tempted to say yes, but then I don't want people thinking that a wide tooth comb is okay as well.

I personally find that if you wash your hands right before touching your hair and drying them throughly, that seems to help with that issue.

vampyyri
September 2nd, 2016, 07:40 AM
Day 32: Done! Ended the day with a full wash, and there were no additional tangles. Went to bed with my hair up in a high cinnabun held with spin pins.

Day 33: Finger combed to find my hair still damp, came across minimal tangles, and threw it up into a nautilus.

Vanilla
September 2nd, 2016, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure, it's kind of a grey area... I'm tempted to say yes, but then I don't want people thinking that a wide tooth comb is okay as well.

I personally find that if you wash your hands right before touching your hair and drying them throughly, that seems to help with that issue.

That's a great idea! I am going to have to experiment with that.

vampyyri
September 2nd, 2016, 08:26 PM
That's a great idea! I am going to have to experiment with that.

Let me know how it goes! I know I definitely can't touch my hair before touching my equally oily hands (and everything for that matter) :lol: I'm literally an oil slick who needs four-six oil blotting sheets a day just for my face, and I need to wash my hair every two days since my scalp is equally as bad... so I feel ya on the oily front!

kadnarim
September 2nd, 2016, 10:21 PM
I've been finger-combing since August 14th or so (I tried to do the August challenge but fell out a bit). I've found that as long as I leave my hair up (during the day; braided at night) I don't have many tangles to deal with anyway.

vampyyri
September 3rd, 2016, 07:40 AM
I've been finger-combing since August 14th or so (I tried to do the August challenge but fell out a bit). I've found that as long as I leave my hair up (during the day; braided at night) I don't have many tangles to deal with anyway.

Exactly, coinciding the wear your hair up challenge with this is the ultimate security against tangles!

Day 33: Done!

Day 34: Up in a claw clip for now, going to be doing an SMT and will be detangling then.

morrigan*
September 3rd, 2016, 07:51 AM
Day 1&2(2.&3.9.)

Atarah
September 3rd, 2016, 11:55 AM
I started finger combing only somewhere around this past May and was wanting to keep it up for at least a year. That would put me at about 3 1/2 months; I'd love to join in this thread though. Always helps to hear others doing the same! Though my toddler likes to run a comb through my braid tail every so often. :)

It seems I've been having more tangles (still not many though) since needing to tend the garden every day- think it's the humidity and sweat at the back of my neck. Even if my hair is up it gets little tangles at the nape when I take it down. Oh well, haven't had to cut any out yet!

Bezumi
September 3rd, 2016, 12:09 PM
Hey, joining this for a month :) ! I've been using fingers mostly for a few days now, but I need the extra push to put the brush and comb in a cupboard :p.
If it gets oil in my hair that's not a bad thing, maybe my own oil would be the only one my hair doesn't reject completely haha.

Adiro
September 3rd, 2016, 05:41 PM
gosh, if i were to try this, i would turn into a giant dreadlock....i sleep with my hair all over the pillow/bed, i put it up through the day, but not before taking out the night knots... and more combing and brushing before going to sleep, to relax my scalp, which often hurts from my bun.....
it's interesting to learn that anybody can live without combing and brushing for any amount of time....

RebekahE
September 3rd, 2016, 08:46 PM
Day 2: Finger combed and then used my wide tooth wood comb because I had to braid it as I was going out, otherwise I think I could of got away without combing.
Day 3: Only finger combed! Yay! *happy dance*

vampyyri
September 3rd, 2016, 09:23 PM
Hey, joining this for a month :) ! I've been using fingers mostly for a few days now, but I need the extra push to put the brush and comb in a cupboard :p.
If it gets oil in my hair that's not a bad thing, maybe my own oil would be the only one my hair doesn't reject completely haha.

Yay! Yes hide that comb :p
I've found that working the natural oils from my scalp (freshly washed and dried hands) really helps with being able to stretch my washes from every 2 days to every 3!

gosh, if i were to try this, i would turn into a giant dreadlock....i sleep with my hair all over the pillow/bed, i put it up through the day, but not before taking out the night knots... and more combing and brushing before going to sleep, to relax my scalp, which often hurts from my bun.....
it's interesting to learn that anybody can live without combing and brushing for any amount of time....

It's possible, I didn't think I was going to be able to do it (having really bad tangles with my TT several times a day), but strangely enough it's much better for me and my hair. I haven't found a single split since my last S&D session since I started this method! I always sleep in a loose protective style (ie, very large claw clip on top of my head as I'm a tummy/side sleeper), so I never wake up with tangles anymore. It was terribly tangle prone, but between adjusting my routine to match my needs, wearing my hair up except for drying, and finger combing, it's been a real eye-opener for what my hair's actual needs are!

Day 2: Finger combed and then used my wide tooth wood comb because I had to braid it as I was going out, otherwise I think I could of got away without combing.
Day 3: Only finger combed! Yay! *happy dance*

Wooooo! Congrats!!! :hifive:

pailin
September 3rd, 2016, 09:57 PM
I don't think I am ready to commit to a specific figure, but I am trying to do this more. I did give up the brushing months ago. I still don't have a comb I'm happy with,which is good incentive for finger detangling.

Adiro
September 4th, 2016, 12:04 AM
Vampyyri, i am sure , very sure that a lot of mechanical damage comes from combing and brushing..... you re so right!
yet i awake a million times a night, and a fuss a lot when asleep, so tangles are unavoidable for me.... in winter, when it's very cold in the house, i sleep with a silk bonnet, and that decreases my tangles and need for a comb considerably, except at the nape of my neck, where i have lots of short hairs that still manage to escape and tangle together...
in summer it's just too hot to sleep with a bonnet, and no bun is comfortable to sleep in, at this length... i tried, and i end up with neck/back pain.... braiding for sleep is not much better , i still get tangles...my pillow is silk but somehow i end up with my head where my feet were. very often ...

vampyyri
September 4th, 2016, 08:29 AM
I don't think I am ready to commit to a specific figure, but I am trying to do this more. I did give up the brushing months ago. I still don't have a comb I'm happy with,which is good incentive for finger detangling.

You can come here anytime, there's no need to properly commit! You can ease into it as well if you feel up to it!

Vampyyri, i am sure , very sure that a lot of mechanical damage comes from combing and brushing..... you re so right!
yet i awake a million times a night, and a fuss a lot when asleep, so tangles are unavoidable for me.... in winter, when it's very cold in the house, i sleep with a silk bonnet, and that decreases my tangles and need for a comb considerably, except at the nape of my neck, where i have lots of short hairs that still manage to escape and tangle together...
in summer it's just too hot to sleep with a bonnet, and no bun is comfortable to sleep in, at this length... i tried, and i end up with neck/back pain.... braiding for sleep is not much better , i still get tangles...my pillow is silk but somehow i end up with my head where my feet were. very often ...

Oh boy, I totally get the restless sleeping and loose hair combo! I definitely was brushing it to kingdom come every morning because it would form one really big rat's nest at the back of my head!

Day 34: Done! Did an SMT, a few tangles from trying to rinse it out in the tub, nothing too crazy. Slept in a dutch braid.

Day 35: My hair was quite happy when I took it out of the braid this morning, no tangles to speak of. It's a shame, but up in a bun it goes!

Bezumi
September 4th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Day 1 : Done !
Today was washing day and my hair just refused to dry in a braid, even though it was incredibly windy. So I had my hair down in this wind and I was dreading the detangling, thinking I would have to use a comb. It was a breeze!
I used to say that my hair tangled up in contact with the air, and refused to let anyone touch it for that reason, but my previous hair care routine before landing on here was shampooing twice in a row. I thought it would make up for the lack of conditioner :p... *facepalm*
Anyway, since using conditionner, I've had almost no tangle. It's like magic.

morrigan*
September 4th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Day 3 done :D

LadyAdelina
September 4th, 2016, 07:48 PM
I did the August challenge and actually made it through with no problems... About halfway through the month I started using a SLS -free shampoo, which was making my hair a lot smoother and a lot less halo-y due to hairs sticking up around my crown... This made it much easier to avoid brush temptation.
Not going to lie, September 01, I brushed my hair! :couch: I had somehow talked myself into believing that I missed the feeling of it on my scalp. But when I brushed, it didn't feel like something I couldn't live without. :confused:
So now I'm back, at day 3 and determined to keep going. I'm not sure for how long, I'll have to report back once I've decided. Ultimately, this is something I'd like to just become my routine, rather than a challenge for X amount of time.

vampyyri
September 5th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Day 35: Done!

Day 36: Finger combed my sleep bun out, and threw it back up into a twist and clipped it with a huge claw clip. Due for a wash later since my SMT was a wee bit too heavy when I did it :lol:

RebekahE
September 5th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Day 4: Finger combed and then used the comb to smooth my top and brush it back from my face and lightly used it on the ends.
Day 5: Finger combed and since I was doing a dutch braid I had to use my comb to smooth out my top. My fingers just can't get all the crinkles out.

Liv
September 6th, 2016, 12:12 AM
Hi.

I am going to try this - first just for a week. I am currently trying to make SO/NW (day 21 since last wash) work, so I might have to comb my hair once a week - as my wash day to remove excess sebum.

Day 1: Done
Day 2: Finger combed this morning and my hair is in a LWB.

My hair is in a LWB every day. :D

Stepo_NiNha
September 6th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Day 3:

- Fingercombing;
- English braid;
- Serum in the very ends;

Day 4:

- Full wash (S&C);
- Air drying;
- Fingercombing;
- Loose hair.

Day 5:

- Fingercombing
- Serum in the very ends;
- Hair bun;
- Serum in the very ends at night.

Day 6 (I didn't fingercomb my hair this time - today)

- I didn't detangle at all;
- Bun;
- Full wash (S&DT);
- Air drying;
- Serum in the very ends at night (I hope I won't fail).

vampyyri
September 6th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Day 35: Done!

Day 36: Finger combed my sleep bun out, and threw it back up into a twist and clipped it with a huge claw clip. Due for a wash later since my SMT was a wee bit too heavy when I did it :lol:

Day 36: Done! Went to bed in a sleep braid, finger detangled before plaiting.

Day 37: Took sleep braid out, finger combed, re-braided and threw the braid into a cinnabun!

Liv
September 7th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Day 2: Done
Day 3: Finger combed this morning, hair up in a LWB.

Stepo_NiNha
September 7th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Day 7:

- Fingercombing;
- Side dutch braid;
- Serum in the ends.

vampyyri
September 7th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Day 36: Done! Went to bed in a sleep braid, finger detangled before plaiting.

Day 37: Took sleep braid out, finger combed, re-braided and threw the braid into a cinnabun!

Day 37: Done! Slept in a really messy braided bun with a claw clip.

Day 38: Combed out the sleep braid/bun before showering, finger detangled in the shower and now waiting for it to be dry enough to put up!

morrigan*
September 7th, 2016, 11:31 PM
Okay i'm out i need to occasionally comb or brush my hair.

Liv
September 8th, 2016, 12:44 AM
Day 3: Done
Day 4: Finger combed and LWB

So far my hair looks better.

vampyyri
September 8th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Day 37: Done! Slept in a really messy braided bun with a claw clip.

Day 38: Combed out the sleep braid/bun before showering, finger detangled in the shower and now waiting for it to be dry enough to put up!

Day 38: Done! My husband was running his fingers through my hair last night, and didn't catch onto anything, so that's good :lol: Slept in a braid.

Day 39: Washed my bangs only, the rest of my hair was tangle free this morning after taking it out of my sleep braid!

samanthaa
September 8th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I want to try this to try to combat breakage in my canopy layer, but my hair looks terrible when it's not been combed. Stringy/limp/flat. Is anybody with fine and thin and straight hair currently attempting this challenge?

RebekahE
September 8th, 2016, 10:59 AM
I want to try this to try to combat breakage in my canopy layer, but my hair looks terrible when it's not been combed. Stringy/limp/flat. Is anybody with fine and thin and straight hair currently attempting this challenge?

Mine is fine and straight but not thin. My hair usually looks better brushed. But I've just been bunning or braiding it, if I decide to wear it down and it needs it I may run a brush through it after thoroughly detangling it.

Vanilla
September 8th, 2016, 05:00 PM
I'm back to finger combing exclusively the past few days. I'm finding I don't even reach for my comb anymore to smooth things out.

I'll stick around here for a bit :)

Bezumi
September 8th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Day 2-5 : Nothing much to say, this is working great for me :). I've manipulated my hair a lot today (trying new buns) and no issue whatsoever with finger only combing. If this keeps up I might just use my comb on my cat :p

Salty Sloth
September 8th, 2016, 06:25 PM
I've been doing ALL of my detangling with my fingers for a while now and I love it! it hurts so much less than a detangling brush, and even the worst knots come out with a soak in conditioner and some coaxing.

I'm REALLY looking for a way to keep my hair from getting so tangled to begin with, though. It's making me crazy that I can't even wear a ponytail for a couple hours without it becoming a rat's nest where it rubs against my back.

vampyyri
September 9th, 2016, 07:17 AM
I've been doing ALL of my detangling with my fingers for a while now and I love it! it hurts so much less than a detangling brush, and even the worst knots come out with a soak in conditioner and some coaxing.

I'm REALLY looking for a way to keep my hair from getting so tangled to begin with, though. It's making me crazy that I can't even wear a ponytail for a couple hours without it becoming a rat's nest where it rubs against my back.

Bunning and braiding really helps keep my hair in line personally, if I leave it down it's unruly :lol:

Day 38: Done! My husband was running his fingers through my hair last night, and didn't catch onto anything, so that's good :lol: Slept in a braid.

Day 39: Washed my bangs only, the rest of my hair was tangle free this morning after taking it out of my sleep braid!

Day 39: Done! Had my hair down for an event last night, an promptly threw it right back up once I left (so maybe 2 hours down?). No issues with tangles, DH was finger combing my hair again last night before bed, and he braided my hair for me! What a guy, he basically did my routine for me—it's so low maintenance that it's astounding sometimes.

Day 40: Full wash, finger combed in the shower and didn't clog the drain. It seems my summer shed is basically over! It's down to air dry and will most likely be braided.

Liv
September 10th, 2016, 12:41 AM
Day 3: Done
Day 4: Finger combed and LWB

So far my hair looks better.

Day 4-5: Done
Day 6: Finger combed and LWB.

My hair still looks better. :-)

vampyyri
September 10th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Day 40: Done! Slept in a four strand braid.

Day 41: Finger combed this morning, then up in a LWB it went for errands. Now my hair's gross again from the heat/sweat, so another wash is in order.

ETA: Whoops! I accidentally thought I was quoting this and ended up deleting my replies :doh:

Bezumi
September 11th, 2016, 05:35 AM
Day 6 : Done !
Day 7 : Unplanned swim in the sea ! I kept my hair braided but detangling was a real pain ! I kept it to finger combing only, I had two hours in an empty train to kill anyway :p But ouch.

vampyyri
September 11th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Day 40: Done! Slept in a four strand braid.

Day 41: Finger combed this morning, then up in a LWB it went for errands. Now my hair's gross again from the heat/sweat, so another wash is in order.

Day 41: Done!

Day 42: Finger combed my hair out before putting it into a fairytale braid, so mostly down for the renaissance faire. Strangely not a lot of tangles after being out on a windy day for 9 hours!

Liv
September 12th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Day 4-5: Done
Day 6: Finger combed and LWB.

My hair still looks better. :-)

Day 6-7: Done
Day 8: Same ol' thing - finger combed and LWB. Feeling a bit fancy today, so I used a stick from ElkAndIron.

Lanalavallama
September 12th, 2016, 05:59 AM
Whoop, count me in. I will try for at least a month at first, and will brush out of necessity on washday (so, once a week).

I wish I could cut out brushing all together, but then my hair forms these....webs. Tangly spiderwebs that kill my progress.

Stepo_NiNha
September 12th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Day 8:

- Fingercoming;
- Side french bride;
- Serum in the ends;
- Full wash day with S&C;

Day 9:

- Fingercoming;
- Side french braid;
- Serum.

Day 10:

- Fingercoming;
- Fishscale braid
- Serum.
- Full wash day with S&C;

Day 11 and 12 (today):

- Fingercombing;
- Serum;
- Side french braid
- Full wash (on day 12) S& DT.

Stepo_NiNha
September 12th, 2016, 06:15 AM
OOPS! Fingercombing, not fingercoming! :cool:

Liv
September 13th, 2016, 02:03 AM
Day 6-7: Done
Day 8: Same ol' thing - finger combed and LWB. Feeling a bit fancy today, so I used a stick from ElkAndIron.

Day 8: Done
Day 9: Finger combed - wearing my hair down today. :-)

Lanalavallama
September 13th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Whoop, count me in. I will try for at least a month at first, and will brush out of necessity on washday (so, once a week).

I wish I could cut out brushing all together, but then my hair forms these....webs. Tangly spiderwebs that kill my progress.

Just had another wash day.. I used no tools other than my fingers for detangling and styling. I need to cultivate more patience; I know I snapped one strand due to a lack of.

RebekahE
September 13th, 2016, 10:38 AM
I have been finger combing every day since the start of this month and I really like the results I am getting! I think it is here to stay. (though I may occasionally run a comb or tt through it)

vampyyri
September 13th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Day 41: Done!

Day 42: Finger combed my hair out before putting it into a fairytale braid, so mostly down for the renaissance faire. Strangely not a lot of tangles after being out on a windy day for 9 hours!

Day 42: Done!
Day 43: Done! Super lazy day, showered a few hours before bed and had no issues. Slept in a braid.
Day 44: Kept my hair in said braid all day and threw it up in a bun. Recently took it down to finger comb it through, smooth with no issues!

Stepo_NiNha
September 14th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Day 13 and 14 (today):

- No fingercombing - just 5 seconds detangling which means putting my hair over my left shoulder and that's it;
- Serum;
- Side fishscale braid
- Full wash (day 14 -S&C)

vampyyri
September 14th, 2016, 05:17 PM
Day 42: Done!
Day 43: Done! Super lazy day, showered a few hours before bed and had no issues. Slept in a braid.
Day 44: Kept my hair in said braid all day and threw it up in a bun. Recently took it down to finger comb it through, smooth with no issues!

Day 44: Done!
Day 45: Scalp wash this morning, usual tangles that come with that, and then up in a braided cinnabun it went!

Liv
September 15th, 2016, 02:27 AM
Day 8: Done
Day 9: Finger combed - wearing my hair down today. :-)

Day 9: Combed with wide tooth comb before I cut my hair about one inch. Next day my sebum was very waxy, but much better (softer) on day 11
Day 10: Done
Day 11: Finger combed and LWB

When I finger comb I also preen.

vampyyri
September 15th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Day 44: Done!
Day 45: Scalp wash this morning, usual tangles that come with that, and then up in a braided cinnabun it went!

Day 45: Done!
Day 46: Smoothed out my greasies as best as I could before bunning, and finger combed some of the oil down. In dire need of a wash, most likely will detangle in the shower tonight

Daydreamer.
September 16th, 2016, 04:56 AM
I've been finger combing for about a year now. I'm so used to it now that I don't think I'll go back to combs.

Temme
September 16th, 2016, 05:25 AM
OOPS! Fingercombing, not fingercoming! :cool:

Ha! ---------

vampyyri
September 16th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Day 45: Done!
Day 46: Smoothed out my greasies as best as I could before bunning, and finger combed some of the oil down. In dire need of a wash, most likely will detangle in the shower tonight

Day 46: Done! Never did get that shower in, just came home, ate, and passed out.
Day 47: Showered this morning and mondo clogged the drain. I haven't had a full wash since Monday, so the sheds became quite a big glob. It's air drying now, and the shedding continues, I suppose all those guys were stuck because I wasn't fingercombing thoroughly enough. :lol:

vampyyri
September 17th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Day 46: Done! Never did get that shower in, just came home, ate, and passed out.
Day 47: Showered this morning and mondo clogged the drain. I haven't had a full wash since Monday, so the sheds became quite a big glob. It's air drying now, and the shedding continues, I suppose all those guys were stuck because I wasn't fingercombing thoroughly enough. :lol:

Day 47: Done!
Day 48: Finger combed before throwing my hair up into a bun!

Liv
September 18th, 2016, 03:54 AM
Day 9: Combed with wide tooth comb before I cut my hair about one inch. Next day my sebum was very waxy, but much better (softer) on day 11
Day 10: Done
Day 11: Finger combed and LWB

When I finger comb I also preen.

Day 11-13: Done
Day 14: Finger combed and LWB. My sebum is back to normal again. Run yesterday morning and I think the sweat helped my sebum to soften even more.

Stepo_NiNha
September 18th, 2016, 05:37 AM
Day 15:
Finger combing,
Serum
Side French braid

Day 16:
Finger combing
Serum
Side French braid
Scalp only wash and then I've put my hair into a LWB

Day 17:
No finger combing/ no detangle
English braid
Serum in the ends

Day 18 (today):
Full wash in the morning (s&c) and detangling with my fingers while the conditioner was there;
Loose hair while air drying
Im planning to wear my hair down today

XiaoBaiTu
September 18th, 2016, 06:08 AM
I'm joining for a month. I started the challenge in August, and though I didn't complete that one, I did realize that fingercombing is much better for my hair texture. I've been relying exclusively on fingers since then.

Question: Do any of you find it difficult to remove shed hairs with fingers only? I never seem to remove them all like I could with a brush.

vampyyri
September 18th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Day 47: Done!
Day 48: Finger combed before throwing my hair up into a bun!

Day 48: Done!
Day 49: Took my sleep braid out, and the shred from it was quite tangled up. Unbraided, and rebraided into a four strand braid and soaked the braid with oil for a wash tonight.

vampyyri
September 19th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Day 48: Done!
Day 49: Took my sleep braid out, and the shred from it was quite tangled up. Unbraided, and rebraided into a four strand braid and soaked the braid with oil for a wash tonight.

Day 49: Done! Ended the night with a well needed washing, then braided when hair was about 70% dry
Day 50: Took my hair out of the braid, no tangling issues this time, finger combed out just fine! Up in a bun it stays for the day!

XiaoBaiTu
September 19th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Day 1: Wash day. Detangled and styled with my fingers.

Day 2: Hair in a ponytail, no detangling.

Day 3: Hair in a bun, no detangling.

I don't like to detangle while my hair is dry, the curls once separated will make a big tangly mess. If I just leave it all until wash day then it stays in pretty much the same shape that it was in when I last detangled.

littlestarface
September 19th, 2016, 04:11 PM
I'm joining for a month. I started the challenge in August, and though I didn't complete that one, I did realize that fingercombing is much better for my hair texture. I've been relying exclusively on fingers since then.

Question: Do any of you find it difficult to remove shed hairs with fingers only? I never seem to remove them all like I could with a brush.

No I never have a problem with removing sheds with fingers only, I mimic my fingers like i'm using my tangle teezer and that does a pretty good job.

Stepo_NiNha
September 20th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Day 19:

- Finger combing;
- Side fishscale braid;
- Serum

Day 20 (today):
- Finger combing;
- Side fishscale braid;
- Serum;
- Full wash tonight (S& DT)

vampyyri
September 20th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Day 49: Done! Ended the night with a well needed washing, then braided when hair was about 70% dry
Day 50: Took my hair out of the braid, no tangling issues this time, finger combed out just fine! Up in a bun it stays for the day!

Day 50: Done!
Day 51: Took down my sleep braid, finger combed, threw it up in a bun and washed my bangs. Done until I get home tonight to re-do my sleep braid!

vampyyri
September 21st, 2016, 05:16 PM
Day 50: Done!
Day 51: Took down my sleep braid, finger combed, threw it up in a bun and washed my bangs. Done until I get home tonight to re-do my sleep braid!

Day 51: Done! Had to wash again though :/
Day 52: Had greasies in the morning, finger combed as best as I could to make them presentable, and up in a bun it went.

vampyyri
September 22nd, 2016, 09:05 AM
Day 51: Done! Had to wash again though :/
Day 52: Had greasies in the morning, finger combed as best as I could to make them presentable, and up in a bun it went.

Day 52: Done!
Day 53: Tried a different routine to try and combat the excess grease... Finger combing was a bit of a challenge today, but I got through.

vampyyri
September 23rd, 2016, 09:22 AM
Day 52: Done!
Day 53: Tried a different routine to try and combat the excess grease... Finger combing was a bit of a challenge today, but I got through.

Day 53: Done
Day 54: Still had trouble with finger combing, toughing it out with the grease.

vampyyri
September 24th, 2016, 07:23 PM
Day 53: Done
Day 54: Still had trouble with finger combing, toughing it out with the grease.

Day 54: Done!
Day 55: Full wash today, much easier to fingercomb through my hair with my two conditioners!

Liv
September 25th, 2016, 01:36 AM
Day 11-13: Done
Day 14: Finger combed and LWB. My sebum is back to normal again. Run yesterday morning and I think the sweat helped my sebum to soften even more.

Day 14-20: Done
Day 21: Finger combed and LWB

Some days I do not finger comb, I just smooth my hair so it looks good in my LWB.

XiaoBaiTu
September 25th, 2016, 06:45 AM
Just finished day 8, washed and detangled with fingers. I guess I need to start detangling when dry because I only get it wet once a week, and by that time I had two thick dreads from wearing it in a bun. Super difficult to detangle. (BTW, not knocking dreadlocks, I think they can look nice on some people, just not for me!)

Today is day 9. Probably won't detangle at all today.

Stepo_NiNha
September 25th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Day 21:

- finger combing
- side dutch braid;
- serum

Day 22:

- no detangling/no finger combing;
- side french braid;
- serum

Day 23

- finger combing
- English braid
- serum
- Full wash (s&c)

Day 24:

- finger combing
- S&D (I havent s&ded for a long time)
- side fishscale braid
- serum.

Day 25 (today)

- no fingercombing or detangling
- loose hair and LWB (at home today)
- full wash (s&c) tonight

vampyyri
September 25th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Day 54: Done!
Day 55: Full wash today, much easier to fingercomb through my hair with my two conditioners!

Day 55: Done!
Day 56: Didn't even need to detangle, up in another bun it went

XiaoBaiTu
September 25th, 2016, 09:12 PM

55 days is a good while, congratulations! How long are you in for?

vampyyri
September 25th, 2016, 09:15 PM
55 days is a good while, congratulations! How long are you in for?

I'm not sure, basically as long as I can take it :lol: though I really don't miss my tangle teezer (it's now my cat's brush :laugh:) I'm trying for a year!

vampyyri
September 26th, 2016, 07:46 AM

Day 56: Done!
Day 57: Full wash, finger combed in the shower. It's down to air dry but will be thrown into yet another bun!

vampyyri
September 27th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Day 56: Done!
Day 57: Full wash, finger combed in the shower. It's down to air dry but will be thrown into yet another bun!

Day 57: Done!
Day 58: Unraveled my sleep braid and re-braided it. Didn't detangle (didn't need it) and threw it up in another bun.

DarkChocolate
September 27th, 2016, 08:07 AM
What benefits are you guys noticing?

vampyyri
September 27th, 2016, 08:43 AM

I'm not messing up my wave pattern, shine, softness. Also, that there are virtually no splits in my hair between finger-combing and wearing it up simultaneously. The ends of my hair used to be haggard from over-brushing and I was needing to S&D every other week (30 minute sessions). I just S&D'd out of curiosity after about two months of doing this, and maybe found 20 splits in total.

Stepo_NiNha
September 27th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Day 26:

- Scalp only wash;
- No detangling/No finger combing;
- Englishbraid;
- Serum

Day 27 (today):

- Finger combing;
- Side fishscale braid;
- Serum

XiaoBaiTu
September 27th, 2016, 01:57 PM

I've noticed a lot of the same benefits as Vampyyri. My curls are more defined since I'm not separating them after a wash, and I have way fewer split ends. I also noticed that I actually have fewer tangles this way, too. Since my hair is so curly trying to get a brush through it creates knots that didn't exist before. I don't have that problem with my fingers, and I can often untie the few knots that do form.

XiaoBaiTu
September 27th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Day 9, no detangling. Wore it loose all day.

Day 10, carefully separated it and braided. No detangling.

Day 11 (today), rebraided and combed out the ends with my fingers after dampening. Once the ends had dried into a single, neat curl, it went into a bun.

vampyyri
September 28th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Day 57: Done!
Day 58: Unraveled my sleep braid and re-braided it. Didn't detangle (didn't need it) and threw it up in another bun.

Day 58: Done!
Day 59: Scalp wash, finger combed through the roots, threw it up in a bun.

Liv
September 29th, 2016, 05:10 AM
Day 14-20: Done
Day 21: Finger combed and LWB

Some days I do not finger comb, I just smooth my hair so it looks good in my LWB.

Day 21-24: Done
Day 25: Finger combed and LWB in the morning, now changed to a side braid. :-)

vampyyri
September 29th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Day 58: Done!
Day 59: Scalp wash, finger combed through the roots, threw it up in a bun.

Day 59: Done!
Day 60: Washed my bangs this morning, finger combed the length and put it in a LWB.

Woo!! Two months!! :happydance:

XiaoBaiTu
September 29th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Day 9, no detangling. Wore it loose all day.

Day 10, carefully separated it and braided. No detangling.

Day 11 (today), rebraided and combed out the ends with my fingers after dampening. Once the ends had dried into a single, neat curl, it went into a bun.

Days 11-12, Done!

Day 13 (today): detangled the length while dry and put it in a rope braid. This is the first time I've tried a rope braid without brushing out my length first, it turned out pretty well!

vampyyri
September 30th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Day 59: Done!
Day 60: Washed my bangs this morning, finger combed the length and put it in a LWB.

Woo!! Two months!! :happydance:

Day 60: Done! Ended the day with a much needed full wash, finger combing as usual. Slept in a braid.
Day 61: Took out said sleep braid, lightly finger combed, and up into a LWB.

Stepo_NiNha
October 1st, 2016, 08:35 AM
Day 28, 29

- finger combing;
- side fishscale braid;
- serum;
- full wash (day 28).

Day 30:

- fingercombing;
- side dutch braid;
- serum;
- scalp only wash...

Done! Fingercombing since 25th Aug. My hair was 83 cm long, now its 85,5. It grew one inch in 37 days, I believe I had a better length retention! No need for the trimestral trim! Im back to combs because its more comfy for me but I'd still recommend finger combing! Good luck :)

Bezumi
October 1st, 2016, 12:07 PM
So it's been a month for me today ! And well, I never got any tangles so it worked out perfect, I have way less hairs that are ripped out than with a comb. I think I'll still keep my comb when I want to do very neat styles that require a bit of smoothing down, but otherwise I'm sold :)

vampyyri
October 1st, 2016, 12:29 PM
Day 28, 29

- finger combing;
- side fishscale braid;
- serum;
- full wash (day 28).

Day 30:

- fingercombing;
- side dutch braid;
- serum;
- scalp only wash...

Done! Fingercombing since 25th Aug. My hair was 83 cm long, now its 85,5. It grew one inch in 37 days, I believe I had a better length retention! No need for the trimestral trim! Im back to combs because its more comfy for me but I'd still recommend finger combing! Good luck :)

Woo, congrats! :happydance: it was good having you here! :flower:

So it's been a month for me today ! And well, I never got any tangles so it worked out perfect, I have way less hairs that are ripped out than with a comb. I think I'll still keep my comb when I want to do very neat styles that require a bit of smoothing down, but otherwise I'm sold :)

Awesome, congrats!! :hifive:

Day 60: Done! Ended the day with a much needed full wash, finger combing as usual. Slept in a braid.
Day 61: Took out said sleep braid, lightly finger combed, and up into a LWB.

Day 61: Done!
Day 62: Lightly fingercombed before throwing my hair into a braid, then a LWB.

vampyyri
October 2nd, 2016, 03:20 PM
Woo, congrats! :happydance: it was good having you here! :flower:

Awesome, congrats!! :hifive:

Day 61: Done!
Day 62: Lightly fingercombed before throwing my hair into a braid, then a LWB.

Day 62: Done, ended the day with a wash.
Day 63: Had my hair down first half of the day, fingercombed as needed. Now it's up in a claw clip.

vampyyri
October 3rd, 2016, 07:36 AM
Day 62: Done, ended the day with a wash.
Day 63: Had my hair down first half of the day, fingercombed as needed. Now it's up in a claw clip.

Day 63: Done!
Day 64: Finger combed this morning, up in a LWB it went. Full wash later.

XiaoBaiTu
October 3rd, 2016, 11:26 AM
Days 11-12, Done!

Day 13 (today): detangled the length while dry and put it in a rope braid. This is the first time I've tried a rope braid without brushing out my length first, it turned out pretty well!

Days 13-16, Done! Washed and detangled on day 14, then wet it and detangled/styled with fingers again on day 16. Today is day 17, it is up in a bun (no detangling.)

hayheadsbird
October 3rd, 2016, 12:03 PM
I'm going to give this a go for a week and see how I get on!
Day 1 - (washed last night) took out sleep braid and up with a stick.
Finger comb after work and back up in a bun held with a stick.

vampyyri
October 4th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Day 63: Done!
Day 64: Finger combed this morning, up in a LWB it went. Full wash later.

Day 64: Ended the day with a wash, then threw it up into Madora's bun.
Day 65: Took down the bun and holy volume batman! Had a bit of a tough time getting through some bits with my fingers, but I managed. Into a LWB it went.

hayheadsbird
October 4th, 2016, 12:42 PM

Day 2 - quick detangle and up in a stick for work, (sleep braid fell out :o)
Big detangle and quick s&d before washing. Will braid before bed when 80% air dry.

Arete
October 4th, 2016, 05:50 PM
I think I went 3.5 years without touching a brush and probably at least a year straight with no combs either. Just recently broke my no brush streak so I could brush my hair prior to dying so I could get a finer comb through it to distribute the dye.
Overall, I really do enjoy finger detangling. It's pretty meditative, and I think my hair is much happier with minimal manipulation. Just wanted to offer you ladies encouragement. Personally I find that if the tangle is really bad it's best to use fingers only and then maybe a wise tooth comb at the end ymmv. It's totally possible to be tool free with your hair :nod:

hayheadsbird
October 4th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Overall, I really do enjoy finger detangling. It's pretty meditative, and I think my hair is much happier with minimal manipulation. Just wanted to offer you ladies encouragement.

This is where I think I might be doing something wrong, I'm only 2 days in to finger detangle only, but I feel like I'm actually manipulating my hair more than I would with a few quick passes with the TT or 2 minutes with a wide tooth comb. I'll need to read up more on technique perhaps and see if I can improve my method.

Arete
October 5th, 2016, 06:45 AM
This is where I think I might be doing something wrong, I'm only 2 days in to finger detangle only, but I feel like I'm actually manipulating my hair more than I would with a few quick passes with the TT or 2 minutes with a wide tooth comb. I'll need to read up more on technique perhaps and see if I can improve my method.
I think it's the "give" that fingers provide/more flexible, softer, surface. Plus, not as many strands are being manipulated in a session

vampyyri
October 5th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Day 64: Ended the day with a wash, then threw it up into Madora's bun.
Day 65: Took down the bun and holy volume batman! Had a bit of a tough time getting through some bits with my fingers, but I managed. Into a LWB it went.

Day 65: Done!
Day 66: Usual taking out of sleep braid, finger detangle, throw into a bun :p

queenbee1
October 5th, 2016, 01:14 PM

Can you please suggest me buns and braids for hair of your length? I also have 23 inch hair (measured when wet) but because of my layers and length my braids come out funny looking and wonky and i can only do a messy bun or a cinnabun which can't be secured with a hairstick or a claw bun :(

hayheadsbird
October 5th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Can you please suggest me buns and braids for hair of your length? I also have 23 inch hair (measured when wet) but because of my layers and length my braids come out funny looking and wonky and i can only do a messy bun or a cinnabun which can't be secured with a hairstick or a claw bun :(

Braids I use Dutch lace like a crown braid to hide that wash day is due or because I like it, and sometimes 2 Dutch or French braids with the bottom length of braid coiled up in a bun secured with spin pins.
With a stick/fork, ficcare or comb I can just make a single coil cinnibun. My go to is simpler - twist hair slightly and wrap in a loop, then stick said hair toy intge middle of the right side, catch some scalp hair and twist back out left side of loop. It ends up looking a little like a French twist, but it's pretty secure.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=135977
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137423&page=6&p=3246934#post3246934

These were 2 threads I found really helpful figuring out how to wear my hair up in more protective styles. Mines on the thick side, so if your hair is a bit thinner you'll prob have even more options!

hayheadsbird
October 5th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Day 2 - quick detangle and up in a stick for work, (sleep braid fell out :o)
Big detangle and quick s&d before washing. Will braid before bed when 80% air dry.
Day 3. - quick smooth out and up in a ficcare for work. Proper detangle (first after washing last night) and my hair texture feels much more full than it would normally at this point. Like it's just finished air drying, not like it's been up for the past 20 hours. Much more body and wave to it as well, even after I got all the tangles I could find out. Up in a topknot in an acrylic stick for shower, and still like that as I'm tired and couldn't be bothered braiding for sleep so I'll risk it falling out over night!

vampyyri
October 6th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Day 65: Done!
Day 66: Usual taking out of sleep braid, finger detangle, throw into a bun :p

Day 66: Done! Ended the day with a wash, finger combed as usual.
Day 67: Took my sleep braid out, finger combed, saw how lovely it looked down, and reluctantly put it up xD

vampyyri
October 7th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Day 66: Done! Ended the day with a wash, finger combed as usual.
Day 67: Took my sleep braid out, finger combed, saw how lovely it looked down, and reluctantly put it up xD

Day 67: Done!
Day 68: Washed my bangs (really should have done a scalp wash as well), took my sleep braid out and finger combed. Up into a bun it went. Full wash later most likely.

202_bh_rider
October 7th, 2016, 08:13 AM
i think i'm going to try this! the only time i really ever use a brush is right before wash day, to distribute sebum. but my hair is starting to chill out with sebum production (yay!) so i should be good for just finger combing. i've done the wear your hair up challenge for the past month or so as well :)

day 1: finger combed, then did an ACV rinse in the evening. braided it wet without finger combing.

hayheadsbird
October 7th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Day 3. - quick smooth out and up in a ficcare for work. Proper detangle (first after washing last night) and my hair texture feels much more full than it would normally at this point. Like it's just finished air drying, not like it's been up for the past 20 hours.
Day 4, up in ficcare for work. Detangle and stick in the evening.

Day 5 - same, up in ficcare for work, detangle when I got home, but no stick.

It's ready for a wash, because it's doing the super soft won't hold a stick today, but normally by this stage I'd be doing crown braids of some sort to stretch an extra day. It certainly doesn't feel like it's been 5 days with no comb or TT.
I genuinely didn't think this was going to work for me, which is why I thought I'd just give it a go for a week. Looks like I'm a convert, even though it still feels totally counter intuitive NOT to be combing!

vampyyri
October 8th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Day 67: Done!
Day 68: Washed my bangs (really should have done a scalp wash as well), took my sleep braid out and finger combed. Up into a bun it went. Full wash later most likely.

Day 68: Done! Ended the day with a wash and wanted to go to bed within the hour so I blow dried my roots with a diffuser and then braided my hair.
Day 69: Took out the sleep braid, finger combed and put it up into a extra large claw clip.

202_bh_rider
October 8th, 2016, 02:02 PM
day 2: had it in two braids, took them out before bed, finger combed and then made a loose sleeping bun.
day 3: redid my bun this morning with out finger combing, then went to work. took it down for a shower and a w/o wash. waiting for it to dry and then finger combing.

hayheadsbird
October 8th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Day 4, up in ficcare for work. Detangle and stick in the evening.

Day 5 - same, up in ficcare for work, detangle when I got home, but no stick.

day 6 - wash, air dry and finger detangle, various stick held updos

XiaoBaiTu
October 8th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Days 13-16, Done! Washed and detangled on day 14, then wet it and detangled/styled with fingers again on day 16. Today is day 17, it is up in a bun (no detangling.)

Days 17-21 are DONE!! Today is day 22. I washed and detangled yesterday, but not on the days before that (I don't think). I won't detangle it today either.

lapushka
October 8th, 2016, 04:34 PM
I don't actually "rake" my fingers through my hair (might as well use a WT comb then). I just separate strands. Every night I divide my hair in half, and each half into three, to get the sheds out. This doesn't disturb my wave pattern as much and it's still effective in getting shed hair out.

vampyyri
October 9th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Day 68: Done! Ended the day with a wash and wanted to go to bed within the hour so I blow dried my roots with a diffuser and then braided my hair.
Day 69: Took out the sleep braid, finger combed and put it up into a extra large claw clip.

Day 69: Done!
Day 70: Still in my sleep braid for the day, wash later where I'll finger comb.

hayheadsbird
October 10th, 2016, 10:30 AM
day 6 - wash, air dry and finger detangle, various stick held updos

Day 7 - done!
I think I'm going to keep going with this, I found it hard not picking up a comb, but I did see a difference in terms of texture, and I was really surprised by how easy it was to detangle!

vampyyri
October 10th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Day 69: Done!
Day 70: Still in my sleep braid for the day, wash later where I'll finger comb.

Day 70: Done!
Day 71: Finger combed after unbraiding, threw it into a bun.

Day 7 - done!
I think I'm going to keep going with this, I found it hard not picking up a comb, but I did see a difference in terms of texture, and I was really surprised by how easy it was to detangle!

Congrats :hifive: I was surprised myself when I realized my hair isn't as tangly as my brushes/combs were leading me to believe!

202_bh_rider
October 10th, 2016, 08:15 PM
day 4; finger combed and braided for work. left the braid in and slept with it.
day 5: wash day! finger combed, oiled, and rebraided my braids in the morning. took them out and finger combed in the evening before braiding into a simple english braid for riding. oiled hair more, washed, and finger combed before braiding for bed.

vampyyri
October 11th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Day 70: Done!
Day 71: Finger combed after unbraiding, threw it into a bun.

Day 71: Done!
Day 72: Started the day with a wash, finger combed as usual, and up into a LWB.

vampyyri
October 13th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Day 71: Done!
Day 72: Started the day with a wash, finger combed as usual, and up into a LWB.

Day 72: Done!
Day 73: Done! Was sick and couldn't really be bothered detangling.
Day 74: Surprisingly my lack of detangling wasn't too bad when I took out my sleep braid and jumped in the shower. Finger detangled as usual, no real snarls to speak of. Up in a bun!

202_bh_rider
October 13th, 2016, 12:51 PM
day 6: done
day 7: done
day 8: done
i really think i'm minimizing shedding with this! yay!

hayheadsbird
October 13th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Day 8-11 - done!!

vampyyri
October 14th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Day 72: Done!
Day 73: Done! Was sick and couldn't really be bothered detangling.
Day 74: Surprisingly my lack of detangling wasn't too bad when I took out my sleep braid and jumped in the shower. Finger detangled as usual, no real snarls to speak of. Up in a bun!

Day 74: Done!
Day 75: Half-heartedly finger combed this morning (still sick) and threw my hair into a equally as half-hearted bun.

vampyyri
October 15th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Day 74: Done!
Day 75: Half-heartedly finger combed this morning (still sick) and threw my hair into a equally as half-hearted bun.

Day 75: Done!
Day 76: Took out my sleep braid to find a mound of tangles from sleeping restlessly (sickness is finally gone). Finger combed as best as I could before doing a full wash and detangled the rest of the way in the shower.

vampyyri
October 16th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Day 75: Done!
Day 76: Took out my sleep braid to find a mound of tangles from sleeping restlessly (sickness is finally gone). Finger combed as best as I could before doing a full wash and detangled the rest of the way in the shower.

Day 76: Done!
Day 77: Finger combed before putting my hair into a disc bun.

Liv
October 17th, 2016, 06:45 AM
Day 21-24: Done
Day 25: Finger combed and LWB in the morning, now changed to a side braid. :-)

Day 25-42: Done
Day 43: Finger combed and LWB

vampyyri
October 17th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Day 76: Done!
Day 77: Finger combed before putting my hair into a disc bun.

Day 77: Done!
Day 78: Full wash this morning finger combed as usual and put it into a LWB

vampyyri
October 18th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Day 77: Done!
Day 78: Full wash this morning finger combed as usual and put it into a LWB

Day 78: Done!
Day 79: Took my sleep braid out, finger combed enough to throw it into a disc bun!

202_bh_rider
October 18th, 2016, 06:16 PM
9: done.
10: done.
11: done.
12: done.
13: done.

vampyyri
October 19th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Day 78: Done!
Day 79: Took my sleep braid out, finger combed enough to throw it into a disc bun!

Day 79: Done! Ended the day with a wash, finger combed as needed.
Day 80: Took out my sleep braid, finger combed, up in a nautilus!

queenbee1
October 20th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Braids I use Dutch lace like a crown braid to hide that wash day is due or because I like it, and sometimes 2 Dutch or French braids with the bottom length of braid coiled up in a bun secured with spin pins.
With a stick/fork, ficcare or comb I can just make a single coil cinnibun. My go to is simpler - twist hair slightly and wrap in a loop, then stick said hair toy intge middle of the right side, catch some scalp hair and twist back out left side of loop. It ends up looking a little like a French twist, but it's pretty secure.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=135977
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137423&page=6&p=3246934#post3246934

These were 2 threads I found really helpful figuring out how to wear my hair up in more protective styles. Mines on the thick side, so if your hair is a bit thinner you'll prob have even more options!

Thank you so much 😻😻

vampyyri
October 20th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Day 79: Done! Ended the day with a wash, finger combed as needed.
Day 80: Took out my sleep braid, finger combed, up in a nautilus!

Day 80: Done!
Day 81: Same old story, only up in a LWB!

202_bh_rider
October 20th, 2016, 12:52 PM
14: done
15: done

Wow, I can't believe it's been two weeks since I've used a brush..

vampyyri
October 20th, 2016, 12:54 PM
14: done
15: done

Wow, I can't believe it's been two weeks since I've used a brush..

I know, it makes for a great ice breaker :p "I haven't brushed my hair in x time" :lol:

MsPharaohMoan
October 20th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Oooh, I might join this... Has anyone experienced rougher feeling hair?

vampyyri
October 21st, 2016, 10:29 AM

Mine has actually become smoother with time!

Day 80: Done!
Day 81: Same old story, only up in a LWB!

Day 81: Done!
Day 82: Took out the sleep braid, nautilus. Due for a full wash today, I've stretched my full wash long enough :lol:

vampyyri
October 22nd, 2016, 04:58 PM
Day 81: Done!
Day 82: Took out the sleep braid, nautilus. Due for a full wash today, I've stretched my full wash long enough :lol:

Day 82: Done
Day 83: Took out my sleep braid, finger combed, up in a LWB

hayheadsbird
October 22nd, 2016, 05:29 PM
Day 8-11 - done!!
Day 12 - 21- all done!

Nope, in fact I'm amazed by how much better my hair actually behaves. I did wear it down one day last week, and it was a good bit more tangled that night, but not to much. On the whole the past three weeks my hair has kept its wave longer, or taken on fab bun waves. Less manipulation has reduced sebum production I think ( def less greasy, but still on 3-5day wash schedule), on the whole my hair is far happier with no brush or comb. I kinda miss it though, but I have validation for playing with it now under the guise of detangling!

vampyyri
October 23rd, 2016, 11:40 AM
Day 82: Done
Day 83: Took out my sleep braid, finger combed, up in a LWB

Day 83: Done!
Day 84: Took out my sleep braid, no finger detangling but it's up in a LWB until my scalp wash later.

vampyyri
October 24th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Day 83: Done!
Day 84: Took out my sleep braid, no finger detangling but it's up in a LWB until my scalp wash later.

Day 84: Done!
Day 85: Took my sleep braid down, finger combed with a few snarls (did a dutch instead of english braid, always happens). Gonna be up in some kind of bun today with a ficcare.

202_bh_rider
October 24th, 2016, 12:49 PM
16: done.
17: done.
18: wash day! Done.
19: done.

XiaoBaiTu
October 24th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Days 17-21 are DONE!! Today is day 22. I washed and detangled yesterday, but not on the days before that (I don't think). I won't detangle it today either.

I didn't even realize it, but I've completed 1 month (and then some)! I do really like the results that finger-detangling gives me and will continue to use it as my primary method of detangling, however I will leave the challenge now as I'm ready to abandon the strict rules I kept myself to. I sometimes use a brush in styling, and will be glad to occasionally resume that.

Liv
October 25th, 2016, 02:15 AM
Day 25-42: Done
Day 43: Finger combed and LWB

Day 44: Combed my hair with a horn comb, wash day.
Day 45-52: Done (finger combed and LWB)

This will be my last post in this thread. It is safe to say that I will continue to finger comb pretty much every day from now on. So I have (for the time beeing) a very simple and cheap routine when it comes to hair care: SO/NW and fingercombing. I cut my hair myself. :) Even the money I have spend recently on new hair sticks lately does not equal the money I save on my hair routine. :applause

vampyyri
October 25th, 2016, 11:51 AM
I didn't even realize it, but I've completed 1 month (and then some)! I do really like the results that finger-detangling gives me and will continue to use it as my primary method of detangling, however I will leave the challenge now as I'm ready to abandon the strict rules I kept myself to. I sometimes use a brush in styling, and will be glad to occasionally resume that.

It was good having you here, and I'm glad it worked out so well for you!! :joy:

Day 44: Combed my hair with a horn comb, wash day.
Day 45-52: Done (finger combed and LWB)

This will be my last post in this thread. It is safe to say that I will continue to finger comb pretty much every day from now on. So I have (for the time beeing) a very simple and cheap routine when it comes to hair care: SO/NW and fingercombing. I cut my hair myself. :) Even the money I have spend recently on new hair sticks lately does not equal the money I save on my hair routine. :applause

:toast: that's awesome, and thanks for participating here!!

202_bh_rider
October 25th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Day 20: done! Not sure how long I will keep this up, but I can say I haven't noticed any new breakage!

Liv
October 26th, 2016, 01:26 AM
:toast: that's awesome, and thanks for participating here!!

And thank you very much for starting this thread, it has been very helpful. It definitly pushed me in the right direction - so glad I joined. :happydance::flower:

EDIT: By the way - I think finger detangling is much easier on the hair.

vampyyri
October 27th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Day 84: Done!
Day 85: Took my sleep braid down, finger combed with a few snarls (did a dutch instead of english braid, always happens). Gonna be up in some kind of bun today with a ficcare.

Day 85: Done!
Day 86: Done!
Day 87: Done!
Day 88: Scalp wash, finger detangled as best as possible (running late) and put it up in a bun.

I think I'm going to start reporting a little less frequently and go weekly starting this upcoming Sunday. I'm pretty much sticking with it from here on out, just curious to see if I do truly make it a year!

202_bh_rider
October 29th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Day 21: done.
Day 22: done.
Day 23: done.
Day 24: done.
Day 25: done.
I love how much less knots I've been having lately :)

vampyyri
October 30th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Day 85: Done!
Day 86: Done!
Day 87: Done!
Day 88: Scalp wash, finger detangled as best as possible (running late) and put it up in a bun.

I think I'm going to start reporting a little less frequently and go weekly starting this upcoming Sunday. I'm pretty much sticking with it from here on out, just curious to see if I do truly make it a year!

Day 88-92: Done!

Even got around to finger combing my SIL's hair when she was over after she went on a motorcycle ride with her hair down... it was one big mat and I was able to gingerly pull it apart and finger comb it before she started ripping through it with a brush.

Aidin
November 1st, 2016, 02:48 PM
I have finger combed my hair for at least a year now and I've noticed a great decrease in the amount of breakage. Now the only strands I see are long ones!
I believe it is much gentler on the hair since you can't really do it quickly and you feel every single knot.
I think I won't go back to brushes/combs :)

vampyyri
November 6th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Day 88-92: Done!

Even got around to finger combing my SIL's hair when she was over after she went on a motorcycle ride with her hair down... it was one big mat and I was able to gingerly pull it apart and finger comb it before she started ripping through it with a brush.

Days 92-99: Done!

202_bh_rider
November 6th, 2016, 06:14 PM
i think i'm going back to my old boar bristle brush for a little, but i will still be finger combing beforehand! this is only to help distribute sebum and help stretch my washes a bit more :) thank you all for the support!

vampyyri
November 14th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Days 92-99: Done!

Just gonna go by weeks now :lol:

Week 15: Done!

vampyyri
November 27th, 2016, 11:10 AM
Whoops... forgot about this thread entirely :lol:

Weeks 16 & 17: Done!

The only thing I've been doing differently nowadays is smoothing out my scalp hair with my old TT when I put it up to neaten it up. Otherwise... still going :lol:

Stars
November 27th, 2016, 11:43 AM
I would like to try this! I usually only detangle my hair once a week on wash day, or if I stretch my wash to every 10-14 days, I will detangle once a week when moisturized and oiled first. I have to use a seamless comb for that... there's no way I can remove the shed hair properly with my fingers as I would be asking for mats. This will be pretty beneficial for me as I'm trying to reduce my combing even more.

Annalouise
November 27th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Cool thread. :cool: I just decided a few days ago to ditch my bbb and only use my fingers. (I quit using a comb about a year ago).
I didn't feel the bbb was breaking my hair. But people have brought up the issue of "friction" and how the mere fact that you brush your hair 20 strokes a day has a physical effect on the strands that could wear out the cuticle.
I don't know if I'll make it to be honest. My scalp is addicted to my brush. Now I'm doing scalp massages but its not the same. Nothing beats a bbb for that tingly feeling on the scalp.

I would like to hear how you detangle with your fingers.... anyone? :kitten:

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 27th, 2016, 01:15 PM
I tried this for a month and my hair became piecey and just did not look good!
I was also pulling out soooo much hair. I cant seem to be gentle enough. Tangle teezer for life. xD

Annalouise
November 27th, 2016, 01:40 PM
It's possible to pull out hair or break hairs with finger combing. That is why I was curious how people were detangling.
I am using a conditioner to detangle at present. You just rub in some leave in conditioner down the length of the strands, or regular conditioner, (on dry hair) and then you gently put your fingers through it. I learned it from watching Lisa Akbari's youtube videos. It works well. You just have to use product which costs money I suppose.

vampyyri
November 27th, 2016, 03:17 PM
I normally detangle in the shower by raking my hands through really heavily conditioned hair. Once it's dry, I rake through it with my fingers spread further apart, and whenever I hit a snarl, I stop and pick out the offending piece and gently pull it apart. Then up in a bun it goes during the day, or in a sleep braid at night. Whenever I take my hair down I do a quick comb-through and move to the next style.

This works exceptionally well paired with the wear your hair up challenge, I haven't had any serious tangling since July!

vampyyri
December 6th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Whoops... forgot about this thread entirely :lol:

Weeks 16 & 17: Done!

The only thing I've been doing differently nowadays is smoothing out my scalp hair with my old TT when I put it up to neaten it up. Otherwise... still going :lol:

Week 18: Done!

RebekahE
December 6th, 2016, 11:34 AM
I have been finger combing since September. I love it! Occasionally I use a comb or tt on the top to smooth it out, particularly when my hair is oilier and I have used a tt maybe twice to brush through all my hair when I wore it down (after finger detangling).
vampyyri, I noticed you changed your statistics from ii to iiii. Was just curious, has LHC (and paying attention to damaging things) caused your hair to thicken up? I know I am much more aware of what could cause damage and try to avoid it.

vampyyri
December 6th, 2016, 05:34 PM
I have been finger combing since September. I love it! Occasionally I use a comb or tt on the top to smooth it out, particularly when my hair is oilier and I have used a tt maybe twice to brush through all my hair when I wore it down (after finger detangling).
vampyyri, I noticed you changed your statistics from ii to iiii. Was just curious, has LHC (and paying attention to damaging things) caused your hair to thicken up? I know I am much more aware of what could cause damage and try to avoid it.

I'm glad it's working for you, it's really an amazing thing to not depend on tools!

I suppose it has! When I first joined here my ponytail circumference was about 3.5", and now it's a solid 4". I'm definitely not pulling out as many hairs since I've retired my brushes/TT, so I think collectively it has made a difference in my thickness.

I do smooth out the roots when I put my hair up with my TT too because I was getting sick of the lumps :lol: It hasn't passed through any other part of my hair, and my hair is so much happier for it!

RebekahE
December 7th, 2016, 12:41 PM
That's great! I am still dealing with issues on my scalp and such so my circumference is about the same but I hope once I get it resolved maybe mine will thicken a little bit. I love the braid in your sig pic. I am going to have to try it sometime.

vampyyri
December 12th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Week 18: Done!

Week 19: Done!

Vanilla
December 31st, 2016, 01:41 PM
I am back to finger combing nearly exclusively again. I was detangling the past few months with a wide tooth comb and occasionally using a BBB and nylon brush. So many splits! Back to finger detangling only, and the BBB and nylon brush will only be used to smooth the top of my hair for updos.

vampyyri
December 31st, 2016, 02:11 PM
Weeks 20-21: Done

hanne jensen
January 6th, 2017, 07:04 AM
I'd like to challenge myself to 1 month of fingercombing only with the exception of using a wide tooth comb right befor hairwash.

vampyyri
January 6th, 2017, 09:12 AM
I'd like to challenge myself to 1 month of fingercombing only with the exception of using a wide tooth comb right befor hairwash.

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you :D

ipickee
January 6th, 2017, 10:15 AM
I'm in. I've gotten so that I use my wooden brush much more often than I probably should. May use a comb strictly on wash days :)

hanne jensen
January 7th, 2017, 05:25 AM
Day 2: Fingercombed after a small scalp massage. I've found that in clean hair I get no kinks if I make a bun at the very top of my head. I'll give my scalp a big massage this evening and fingercomb before making my night braid.

vampyyri
January 8th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Weeks 20-21: Done

Gonna start going by months now, and report back whenever it's the 1st of the month :lol: I'm too committed for the weekly updates now :p

Month 5: Done!

Annalouise
January 8th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Guys, I gave up my bbb for 1 month and 17 days so far (I don't use a comb) and I don't like the results. I ordered a boar's brush on line.
My hair is more tangly and the ends are more dry. So I'm abandoning this habit when my brush arrives in about a week.
Cheers everyone, I hope you have success with finger combing only.:toast:

hanne jensen
January 9th, 2017, 08:07 AM
Day 3: Never took it down.
Day 4: Took my hair down and gave myself a good scalp massage. Finger combed gently and there were no tangles. I didn't hear any hairs snapping. All I got were shed hairs. I put my hair up and could control the kinks with my fingers.

ipickee
January 9th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Made it through the first week. It was tougher than I thought, but think my shedding may have been less?

hanne jensen
January 9th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Maybe your breakage has been less, ipickee. I've noticed far fewer hairs all over the place since I've given up my comb.

hanne jensen
January 12th, 2017, 05:40 AM
I'm still fingercombing. I fingercombed before hairwash and forgot to use a comb. After only about a week my hair is tangling much less and looks smoother. Even after hairwash my hair is much easier to detangle.

hanne jensen
January 21st, 2017, 04:35 AM
Another update. My hair is completely different after finger combing only. It's easy to detangle and hairwash day is no longer dreaded. My hair feels smoother and is much easier to handle. I'm going to fingercomb only for a very long time. The difference in my hair is amazing.

Sw33th34rt4my
January 21st, 2017, 09:10 AM
I want to give this a try! I usually wear my hair up in a claw clip for day and a braid at night. I still have been figuring out what wash routine and products work for me so I can be pretty tangled still. Hoping I can do it!

Sw33th34rt4my
January 21st, 2017, 09:37 PM
Did this for the first time today. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Washed my hair, let it dry most of the way and then finger combed. To my surprise it was very easy to get through! I put it up in a loose bun in a claw clip for the rest of the day. Took it down and did a loose braid for bed. I have banished my brush from the drawer! �� I'm committing to doing this for a week and we'll see how it goes from there. My only complaint so far is that the hair where I start my braid is very loose since I didn't use a brush. Guess I need more practice.

vampyyri
February 2nd, 2017, 12:46 PM
Gonna start going by months now, and report back whenever it's the 1st of the month :lol: I'm too committed for the weekly updates now :p

Month 5: Done!

Month 6: Done!

Woo, half a year of finger combing! :happydance:

marvel-lover
February 3rd, 2017, 08:50 AM
Hi! I'm just going to weave my way in here... :whistle: I have type iii medium hair, and I love the thickness and I'm gaining length. I worry about brushing because it's hard with my thickness, and I'm always pulling out my hair. That, and I have slightly wavy/curly hair. I'd love to start fingercombing, but I still want to be able to detangle in the shower with my wide tooth comb and conditioner, and I'd still like to be able to brush once a day or so. My goal is to preserve my curl and my thickness, and to let my hair grow without breaking off from the brush.

vampyyri
February 3rd, 2017, 09:10 AM
Hi! I'm just going to weave my way in here... :whistle: I have type iii medium hair, and I love the thickness and I'm gaining length. I worry about brushing because it's hard with my thickness, and I'm always pulling out my hair. That, and I have slightly wavy/curly hair. I'd love to start fingercombing, but I still want to be able to detangle in the shower with my wide tooth comb and conditioner, and I'd still like to be able to brush once a day or so. My goal is to preserve my curl and my thickness, and to let my hair grow without breaking off from the brush.

Welcome :D

That's exactly what finger combing has done for me (helping keep my waves/virtually no breakage), and it seems we're pretty much hair twins stats-wise :p it's worth a shot! I'd love to hear how it goes if you do decide to try it!

It is possible to finger comb with enough conditioner and skipping the wide tooth comb, have you tried that?

marvel-lover
February 3rd, 2017, 10:48 AM
Welcome :D

That's exactly what finger combing has done for me (helping keep my waves/virtually no breakage), and it seems we're pretty much hair twins stats-wise :p it's worth a shot! I'd love to hear how it goes if you do decide to try it!

It is possible to finger comb with enough conditioner and skipping the wide tooth comb, have you tried that?
I'd love to try it, but I don't want to commit to a challenge yet. As for the finger combing in the shower, my hair gets really matted to my scalp, and my fingers can't get through the roots to detangle the top, so that's why I really like the comb. I don't see a whole lot of breakage in the shower with the comb, it's mostly the brushes when my hair is dry because it's so thick.

Will finger combing make my hair look "piecey" for lack of a better term?

hanne jensen
February 14th, 2017, 06:10 AM
My challenge of 1 month has come and gone and I'm committed to fingercombing. I will comb and brush right before washing, but I'm sticking to fingercombing every day. My hair is tangling much less and I break fewer hairs.

Thanks for this challenge.

PixieP
February 27th, 2017, 06:41 AM
Okay, so I'm trying for a week. However, I have exceptions:

-I have to use my tangle teezer on wash day after my hair has been washed and dried, it is so tangly and knotty after a wash that I don't have a choice. I've tried finger detangling that before, my hair laughed at me.

-I will use the TT or a comb to smooth down the hair on my crown when putting up my hair, because of cowlicks.

-If I have to go out unplanned and I don't have time to wash my hair I use dry shampoo, and then I need the TT to distribute that evenly.

The last one might seem uneccessary to some, but because of my various chronic illnesses washing hair is something I need to plan for carefully, and if things happen outside of my plans, I don't have a chance to wash. And I have hair that really looks greasy when it's greasy!

I will start my week after I wash next time, which will be today, tomorrow or wednesday (depending on when I have energy...). I'll update here when I'm officially starting!

vampyyri
February 27th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Okay, so I'm trying for a week. However, I have exceptions:

-I have to use my tangle teezer on wash day after my hair has been washed and dried, it is so tangly and knotty after a wash that I don't have a choice. I've tried finger detangling that before, my hair laughed at me.

-I will use the TT or a comb to smooth down the hair on my crown when putting up my hair, because of cowlicks.

-If I have to go out unplanned and I don't have time to wash my hair I use dry shampoo, and then I need the TT to distribute that evenly.

The last one might seem uneccessary to some, but because of my various chronic illnesses washing hair is something I need to plan for carefully, and if things happen outside of my plans, I don't have a chance to wash. And I have hair that really looks greasy when it's greasy!

I will start my week after I wash next time, which will be today, tomorrow or wednesday (depending on when I have energy...). I'll update here when I'm officially starting!

Oh no worries about using your TT to smooth things down, I do the same thing :p that's it's only purpose is to smooth out my roots for when I put it up, otherwise my hair is lumpy and will have major hair cleavage. I also used it for dry shampoo, because otherwise it doesn't really get in there.

Welcome PixieP :smooch::flowers:

morrigan*
February 27th, 2017, 12:33 PM
I want to try this again so i can bring out my wurlines. I will probably comb during washing to distribute conditioner, but i will try not too in beetween

vampyyri
March 1st, 2017, 07:24 AM
Month 6: Done!

Woo, half a year of finger combing! :happydance:

Month 7: Done!

This goes by so quickly, but my hair is really benefitting from this more and more as time goes on. No splits to speak of, defined waves, no breakage, and it's really cool not needing any type of tool :D

genuinewicked
March 2nd, 2017, 11:54 AM
I'm going to join in! I combed my hair yesterday before I did an oil treatment, but I'm going to try to go the remainder of March 2017 without touching my hair with brush nor comb. I'm excited to see if this makes any difference with my hair quality. :D

PixieP
March 2nd, 2017, 12:08 PM
Soo I officially started today. I forgot that when I was planning when to get up today and was panicking I wouldn't have time to detangle my hair properly because I forgot I was going to; brushing usually only takes me 30 seconds... But luckily I was rather tangle-free today so that went ok.

I'm not sure I like how my hair looks loose after finger detangling, though. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Reyesuela
March 2nd, 2017, 12:35 PM
I wash my hair every day. I have to use a wide-paddle brush so it dries straight--and this also lets me catch and count all shed hair because I'm monitoring regrowth after major hair loss. (3 yesterday!) Then I have to smooth the crown in the mornings or else my hair is lump city when I put it up. If those are okay, I'm in.

genuinewicked
March 5th, 2017, 01:07 PM
I've only been doing this for 4 days now, but I really love it! My hair is retaining its body and wave without getting frizzy, and I feel like the softness and silkiness from my last oil treatment has really been prolonged since I'm not brushing. Also, no tangles to speak of! This is great!

Reyesuela
March 5th, 2017, 02:34 PM
I actually fingercombed only after the bath yesterday. It worked...fine. Hmm. Part of this is that the length of my hair is still SO THIN right now. There's just nothing to it. But this may be more possible than I thought. I do need to smooth the top before an updo, though, some of the time.

PixieP
March 5th, 2017, 04:44 PM
My hair seems to get greasy faster :( That's not a cool sideeffect! But we'll see if it keeps up with that after next wash. Sometimes my hair just get greasy faster for no reason.

marvel-lover
March 5th, 2017, 05:12 PM
I've been doing this for a few weeks now. I only use a comb during/after my wash and brush very gently once it dries (a necessity for my hair; otherwise it looks terrible) and my hair seems to really love it!

Reyesuela
March 6th, 2017, 11:25 AM
Three days, and I have flakes. Lol. Obviously, I need combing or brushing to knock these out.

PixieP
March 8th, 2017, 04:00 PM
FINE Vampyyri, you win :P I'll do a month.

hanne jensen
March 9th, 2017, 04:26 AM
I'm still fingercombing daily. I will use a wide tooth comb right before washing. Fingercombing has really helped my breakage rate.

wispe
March 9th, 2017, 11:11 AM
I just realized I've been finger combing exclusively for over a week now. Just haven't felt the need for a comb.

PixieP
March 14th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Hmmm... I brushed my hair today, because I was gonna try a new braid and wanted my hair as smooth as possible. And that's exactly how it felt; super smooth. I didn't realize before now that just finger combing makes my hair feel slightly rougher.

lizardspots
March 16th, 2017, 04:06 AM
Hello everyone, I would like to join this challenge! I have been having major problems with excessive hair shedding & breakage, despite changing my brushes and hair products multiple times. I'd like to see if finger combing will help. I might need to use a brush/comb to define my parting & smooth hair over my scalp cleavage, does that exclude me from the challenge?

I am really happy to see there are other straight hairs in this challenge, I always assumed that fingercombing was only for wavies & curlies.

pili
March 20th, 2017, 08:33 AM
In the last three months I have been dry combing and brushing my hair for the first time in decades. While my new routine does allow this without me turning into a frizz bomb, I think I'm waaaay overdoing it and need to back off! My hair grew longest when I only finger combed, so I'll take the challenge for a month and hide my wood comb and brush. Since I stretch washes, I may still need to wide tooth comb untangle in the shower, but that's only once a week.

vampyyri
April 2nd, 2017, 12:30 PM
Month 7: Done!

This goes by so quickly, but my hair is really benefitting from this more and more as time goes on. No splits to speak of, defined waves, no breakage, and it's really cool not needing any type of tool :D

Month 8: Done :D

Reyesuela
April 2nd, 2017, 12:36 PM
I gave up. Lol.

pili
April 2nd, 2017, 04:02 PM
I lasted five days. :(

Starting over. One issue I have is remembering to remove my rings.

PixieP
April 2nd, 2017, 04:16 PM
I have given up finger combing only, but I do now brush much less and still fingercomb a lot, so challenge successful in that it has changed my habits for the better :)

lizardspots
April 3rd, 2017, 02:09 AM
Checking in to say I have been finger combing mostly for nearly 3 weeks now and I'm enjoying it! I have had no breakage at all, and I think my shedding has got a bit less. I still do a gentle detangle pre & post wash day with my tangle teezer, but with the finger combing I've noticed it's not nearly so damaging as it used to be.

Thank you, LHC challenge, for changing my hair habits for the better!

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 27th, 2017, 04:02 PM
I think I am going to give this a try again. After some time I noticed my TT is giving me really bad breakage...
bought a wide tooth plastic comb and i think its ok but i want to try finger combing only for a little while and see what happens.
The last time i posted here my hair was a bit different and i think its adjusted since.

WavyWannabe
May 1st, 2017, 01:44 AM
I'm trying it for as long as I can ! (or until I get bored of it ? :p)
Actually it has already been some time (one month ?) since I last used my comb. The thing is, my BBB straightens out my weak waves, my not-wide-enough-teethed horn comb does the same and tends to yield a little more damage than finger-combing, and both are more or less meat by-products, which bothers me as a vegetarian.
My hair loves finger detangling so far, plus I like being able to detangle whenever I feel like it, without needing anything but my hands ... and a place to throw the shed hairs away :p

lizardspots
June 14th, 2017, 06:08 AM
Hello everyone. Are there any super-long hairs (e.g. tailbone +) who finger comb? I am wondering at what length it becomes awkward/impractical to do so.

I have been finger combing exclusively for 3 months now, very happy with the results! Zero breakage!

SnowDancer
June 14th, 2017, 08:39 AM
I want to do this but with super thick spiral curly hair is this possible long term?
What do you do if you get knots that you cant get out with your fingers.
I finger combed my hair after my shower last night and my natural curls stayed throughout the night, I was pretty surprised. I knew my hair was curly (obvi) but there's definitely a noticeable difference so I would like to keep this up.

likelikepenny
June 14th, 2017, 09:03 AM
I want to do this but with super thick spiral curly hair is this possible long term?
What do you do if you get knots that you cant get out with your fingers.
I finger combed my hair after my shower last night and my natural curls stayed throughout the night, I was pretty surprised. I knew my hair was curly (obvi) but there's definitely a noticeable difference so I would like to keep this up.

I've been finger combing my curly hair exclusively for the past two years and haven't run into any problems. If you run into a knot, the best way to deal with it is try to isolate it, use a slippery conditioner and try to pull one strand out of the knot at a time. That usually get's it done.

If you run into a monster knot though, it's actually better to cut out a knot then rip through one. That way theres no damage left to the ends. I haven't had to do that though.

SnowDancer
June 14th, 2017, 12:35 PM
I've been finger combing my curly hair exclusively for the past two years and haven't run into any problems. If you run into a knot, the best way to deal with it is try to isolate it, use a slippery conditioner and try to pull one strand out of the knot at a time. That usually get's it done.

If you run into a monster knot though, it's actually better to cut out a knot then rip through one. That way theres no damage left to the ends. I haven't had to do that though.

Thanks for responding! I feel much better giving this a go.

Kitty-Zen
June 14th, 2017, 04:49 PM
I lasted five days. :(

Starting over. One issue I have is remembering to remove my rings.
I know :( I have a ring on almost every finger some of them don't come off depending on my hands swelling/ shrinkage based on heat or hormones. This definitely is a challenge.

likelikepenny
June 14th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Thanks for responding! I feel much better giving this a go.

Hope it works well for you :)

rowie
June 14th, 2017, 11:15 PM
Hello everyone. Are there any super-long hairs (e.g. tailbone +) who finger comb? I am wondering at what length it becomes awkward/impractical to do so.

I have been finger combing exclusively for 3 months now, very happy with the results! Zero breakage!

YMMV since everyone is different. I've been finger combing since tailbone. At classic through mid thigh it's a combination of both finger combing and using a wide tooth comb. At knee, for me it's a different ballpark. I now finger comb upside down to move my sheds halfway down to where it would be hip length. Next I would then hold half the length in a ponytail position while standing erect and use a wide tooth comb to collect the sheds I've finger combed down the length when I was at a bent down position. It's challenging for me to just finger comb my lengths entirely because my hair is longer than my arms. Everyone has their own way or method for daily grooming. You will discover what works for you each milestone you reach and learn to adapt to in your own way.

lizardspots
June 15th, 2017, 05:06 AM
YMMV since everyone is different. I've been finger combing since tailbone. At classic through mid thigh it's a combination of both finger combing and using a wide tooth comb. At knee, for me it's a different ballpark. I now finger comb upside down to move my sheds halfway down to where it would be hip length. Next I would then hold half the length in a ponytail position while standing erect and use a wide tooth comb to collect the sheds I've finger combed down the length when I was at a bent down position. It's challenging for me to just finger comb my lengths entirely because my hair is longer than my arms. Everyone has their own way or method for daily grooming. You will discover what works for you each milestone you reach and learn to adapt to in your own way.

Thanks for your advice, rowie! At this point, I am not even sure how long I want to grow my hair (I am thinking BCL but might change my mind as I approach that goal). How incredible that you have continued finger combing on knee length hair!

ReadingRenee
June 15th, 2017, 11:26 AM
I think Im going to start this again... I just had a trim so my ends are nice and smooth and super easy to brush through. Vampyyri, your hair is beautiful! Definitely inspiring to try the fingercombing thing long term. I think this time I will use my boar bristle brush to smooth my scalp hair for updos because I have to wear my hair up nicely for work, and before I felt kind of unkempt and lumpy with fingercombing updos only.

Dendra
June 15th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Another finger comber here. I stopped brushing around November '16.

At first I finger combed reluctantly when I forgot to take my BBB to work (often), but grew to like it so much that the only tool I now use is a comb for my fringe. I'm sooo much more gentle on my tangles and strands in general now.

Is the consensus that finger combing works better for fine hair types? And does anyone finger comb their fringes?

Vampyyri, your hair is beautiful!

I will second this!

Anje
June 15th, 2017, 03:07 PM

I was really happy fingercombing exclusively for a while at fingertip-ish.

SnowDancer
June 20th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Every time I wash my hair I'm doubtful I'll be able to get my fingers through my hair to detangle. And every time I'm happily surprised. I think I'll be doing this for a while.

mistythebandit
June 24th, 2017, 04:19 PM
I would try this if I thought I could! My hair's too tangled when I wake up to even consider it lol.

SnowDancer
July 20th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Still going strong on this. I switched to one of my favorite vegan shampoos and I have no frizz and the easiest time finger combing. I hope to never go back to a brush or comb again!

SnowDancer
August 18th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Just realized it's already been two months! :cheese:

leayellena
August 19th, 2017, 04:24 AM
I firstly do finger combing. it really helps gentle detangling without ripping off the half of your hair in one stroke. but when my hair is pretty damp I comb. I want a neat braid or updo, I hate when my pretty fine strands pop all over and I look like a child doing a messy bun. no, just no.I use my wide tooth comb and I like it. btw: I discovered that my hair loves cones. especially co-wash with cones. it really behaves no matter what!

fhairyqueen
August 19th, 2017, 06:07 AM
I've been finger combing for a couple of months now and I have badly damaged hair from bleaching . Nobody believes I haven't used a hair brush in months but it's too early to know if it's causing any real change to my hair and as my hair is so damaged prior to starting this challenger it's harder to tell . It seems to me to cause less damage but not sure . Bare in mind my hair is only just past collarbone length currently.

vpatt
August 19th, 2017, 01:01 PM
I am going to try for a month just to see if it works for me. My hair is so fine and my scalp can be oily. I have some damage on the ends so I would like to see how this works. But what about washing? Would I let it dry and then finger comb? Touching my hair wet can make it snap. And it looks so messy when I don't comb or brush....so I'm curious if this will work.

Alibran
August 19th, 2017, 02:51 PM
I guess I don't qualify for this. It wouldn't be much of a challenge for me since I don't even own a brush or comb. It will be interesting to see if finger combing continues to be 'enough' for my hair as it gets longer, though.

mira-chan
August 20th, 2017, 07:33 PM
I guess I don't qualify for this. It wouldn't be much of a challenge for me since I don't even own a brush or comb. It will be interesting to see if finger combing continues to be 'enough' for my hair as it gets longer, though.

You're not the only one. I don't either. I'll comb it out before wash occasionally, otherwise it's fine without. My hair isn't tangle prone.

Ophidian
August 20th, 2017, 07:50 PM
I'm not sure why I've never visited this thread, since I fingercomb pretty much exclusively. My hair is APL now but I was a fingercomber years ago at waist too. It's just what has always worked best for my hair. Occasionally I will use a BBB but that's becoming pretty rare.

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 20th, 2017, 10:19 PM
I have been in this since April. So about 5 months without a brush. I've gained a bit of length I think. I do use a wide tooth comb every few weeks when my hair looks the worst, it's dirty and I can't wash and I have work - so I comb. But it's really rare.

Alibran
August 21st, 2017, 03:53 AM
You're not the only one. I don't either. I'll comb it out before wash occasionally, otherwise it's fine without. My hair isn't tangle prone.

Mine does tangle, but I find it's better to coax them out with my fingers than to use a comb. I seem to do less damage because I have a better feel for what I'm doing.

vpatt
August 21st, 2017, 06:16 AM
I haven't used a brush or comb since Saturday morning. I have run into my first "snag", lol. This morning I finger combed and bunned my hair. But all my cow licks are sticking up and finger combing is not helping. I can wear this at home, but I need to go out later. Anyone else have this issue and possibly a solution?

mira-chan
August 21st, 2017, 11:47 AM
Mine does tangle, but I find it's better to coax them out with my fingers than to use a comb. I seem to do less damage because I have a better feel for what I'm doing.

If did that too when I used a comb, just stopped and finger detangled. I only use a comb now to remove loose hairs before the wash but it's not essential. I'm also lucky to have easy to manage hair in that aspect, any tangles I have tend to fall out as it dries, unless it's something from being sick for a week and not caring about hair at all in that time. I can't comb it or finger comb it while wet or damp though.

Dendra
August 21st, 2017, 03:00 PM
I haven't used a brush in about 10 months now. Woo!

There's been no issues so far. Sometimes I wonder whether my scalp could do with a little more stimulation though.